Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6 answers: CanDates, sports movies

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6: CanDates, sports moviesMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6: CanDates, sports moviesJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6: CanDates, sports moviesDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6: CanDates, sports moviesswp
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6: CanDates, sports moviesDan Tilque
`- RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6 answers: CanDates, sports moviesMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6: CanDates, sports movies

<1J2cnaOJQY00iOn-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5422&group=rec.games.trivia#5422

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6: CanDates, sports movies
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 22:41:45 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 22:41 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Years in Canadian History

In this round you will be given three events in Canadian history
that occurred in the same year. (Some of them took place outside
Canada, but have strong Canadian connections.) For each set of
three, you are to give the *exact year*.

1. [1] A Liberal policy convention organized by former Prime
Minister Laurier turned into Canada's first party
leadership convention when Laurier died before the
convention was held. (Before this time federal party
leaders had been chosen at party caucus meetings.)

[2] Pierre Elliot Trudeau was born.

[3] The Stanley Cup finals between the Seattle Metropolitans
and the Montreal Canadiens were halted because of illness.

2. [1] Alouette I, Canada's first satellite, was launched.

[2] The Fog Bowl Grey Cup was played. The game was stopped
because of very poor visibility, and the last 9 minutes
were played the following day, Sunday.

[3] The Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake had its first
season.

3. [1] Anne of Green Gables was first published.

[2] Prince Edward Island banned all motorized cars from
the province.

[3] Oshawa carriage builder R. Samuel McLaughlin signed a
deal with Buick giving him rights to Buick-built engines
for 15 years.

4. [1] First Nations people on reserves got the right to vote
in Federal elections.

[2] Anne Heggtveit became the first Canadian to win an Olympic
gold medal in skiing.

[3] The Montreal Canadiens won their 5th *consecutive*
Stanley Cup.

5. [1] "O Canada" officially became the Canadian national anthem.

[2] Marshall McLuhan died.

[3] Terry Fox's "Marathon of Hope" was stopped near Thunder
Bay because of the return of his cancer.

6. [1] 22,000,000 people visited a World's Fair in Vancouver.

[2] John Polanyi of the University of Toronto shared the
Nobel Prize for chemistry.

[3] One of the strongest tornadoes in Canadian history
hit Barrie.

7. [1] Algonquin Provincial Park was established.

[2] The Montreal Amateur Athletic Association won the first
Stanley Cup, but refused to accept the award because of
an alleged slight to the team committee.

[3] A 22,000-pound (10,000 kg) wheel of cheese -- 28 feet
(8.3 m) in circumference and 6 feet (1.8 m) high -- left
Perth, Ontario, on a special cheese train to become part
of an exhibit at the Columbian World's Fair in Chicago.

8. [1] The Pickering nuclear power plant was opened after
7 years of construction.

[2] The US and Canada signed the Great Lakes Water Quality
Agreement.

[3] Former Prime Minister Lester Pearson died.

9. [1] Marilyn Bell became the first person to swim across
Lake Ontario.

[2] Roger Bannister and John Landy became the first two men
to run the same 1-mile race in under 4 minutes, at the
British Empire and Commonwealth games in Vancouver.

[3] The St. Lawrence Seaway construction project started.

10. [1] Louis Riel was hanged.

[2] Construction of the CPR main line was completed.
(Train service along its full length didn't begin
until the following year.)

[3] Jumbo the elephant was killed in a collision with a
freight train in St. Thomas, Ontario.

* Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - Sports Movies

This a round on movies where a specific sport provides the
framework for the plot. We give you the movie's title, the year
it was released, and some of the actors; and you name the sport.
And please don't just say "football" for any answer -- you need
to be more specific.

1. "Hoosiers" (1986), Gene Hackman.
2. "Nacho Libre" (2006), Jack Black.
3. "The Natural" (1984), Robert Redford.
4. "The Damned United" (2009), Michael Sheen.
5. "Tin Cup" (1996), Kevin Costner, Rene Russo.
6. "Invictus" (2009), Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon.
7. "Seabiscuit" (2003), Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges.
8. "North Dallas Forty" (1979), Nick Nolte, Mac Davis.
9. "The Love Guru" (2008), Mike Myers, Justin Timberlake.
10. "Cinderella Man" (2005), Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "As long as that blue light is on, the
msb@vex.net computer is safe." -- Hot Millions

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6: CanDates, sports movies

<e51bf620-7686-4951-95f0-2ae35ed2cd30n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5423&group=rec.games.trivia#5423

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 15:21:08 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 23:21 UTC

On Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 4:41:51 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Years in Canadian History
>
> In this round you will be given three events in Canadian history
> that occurred in the same year. (Some of them took place outside
> Canada, but have strong Canadian connections.) For each set of
> three, you are to give the *exact year*.
>
> 5. [1] "O Canada" officially became the Canadian national anthem.
>
> [2] Marshall McLuhan died.
>
> [3] Terry Fox's "Marathon of Hope" was stopped near Thunder
> Bay because of the return of his cancer.

1981; 1982
> 7. [1] Algonquin Provincial Park was established.
>
> [2] The Montreal Amateur Athletic Association won the first
> Stanley Cup, but refused to accept the award because of
> an alleged slight to the team committee.
>
> [3] A 22,000-pound (10,000 kg) wheel of cheese -- 28 feet
> (8.3 m) in circumference and 6 feet (1.8 m) high -- left
> Perth, Ontario, on a special cheese train to become part
> of an exhibit at the Columbian World's Fair in Chicago.

1892; 1893
> 9. [1] Marilyn Bell became the first person to swim across
> Lake Ontario.
>
> [2] Roger Bannister and John Landy became the first two men
> to run the same 1-mile race in under 4 minutes, at the
> British Empire and Commonwealth games in Vancouver.
>
> [3] The St. Lawrence Seaway construction project started.

1954; 1955
> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - Sports Movies
>
> This a round on movies where a specific sport provides the
> framework for the plot. We give you the movie's title, the year
> it was released, and some of the actors; and you name the sport.
> And please don't just say "football" for any answer -- you need
> to be more specific.
>
> 1. "Hoosiers" (1986), Gene Hackman.

basketball

> 2. "Nacho Libre" (2006), Jack Black.

pro wrestling

> 3. "The Natural" (1984), Robert Redford.

baseball

> 4. "The Damned United" (2009), Michael Sheen.

soccer

> 5. "Tin Cup" (1996), Kevin Costner, Rene Russo.

golf
> 6. "Invictus" (2009), Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon.

rugby

> 7. "Seabiscuit" (2003), Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges.

horse racing

> 8. "North Dallas Forty" (1979), Nick Nolte, Mac Davis.

American football

> 9. "The Love Guru" (2008), Mike Myers, Justin Timberlake.

ice hockey

> 10. "Cinderella Man" (2005), Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger.

boxing

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6: CanDates, sports movies

<tl1e7t$frh$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5424&group=rec.games.trivia#5424

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 01:26:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 01:26 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Years in Canadian History

> 1. [1] A Liberal policy convention organized by former Prime
> Minister Laurier turned into Canada's first party
> leadership convention when Laurier died before the
> convention was held. (Before this time federal party
> leaders had been chosen at party caucus meetings.)

> [2] Pierre Elliot Trudeau was born.

> [3] The Stanley Cup finals between the Seattle Metropolitans
> and the Montreal Canadiens were halted because of illness.

1920

> 2. [1] Alouette I, Canada's first satellite, was launched.

> [2] The Fog Bowl Grey Cup was played. The game was stopped
> because of very poor visibility, and the last 9 minutes
> were played the following day, Sunday.

> [3] The Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake had its first
> season.

1977

> 3. [1] Anne of Green Gables was first published.

> [2] Prince Edward Island banned all motorized cars from
> the province.

> [3] Oshawa carriage builder R. Samuel McLaughlin signed a
> deal with Buick giving him rights to Buick-built engines
> for 15 years.

1907

> 4. [1] First Nations people on reserves got the right to vote
> in Federal elections.

> [2] Anne Heggtveit became the first Canadian to win an Olympic
> gold medal in skiing.

> [3] The Montreal Canadiens won their 5th *consecutive*
> Stanley Cup.

1960

> 5. [1] "O Canada" officially became the Canadian national anthem.

> [2] Marshall McLuhan died.

> [3] Terry Fox's "Marathon of Hope" was stopped near Thunder
> Bay because of the return of his cancer.

1985

> 6. [1] 22,000,000 people visited a World's Fair in Vancouver.

> [2] John Polanyi of the University of Toronto shared the
> Nobel Prize for chemistry.

> [3] One of the strongest tornadoes in Canadian history
> hit Barrie.

1970

> 7. [1] Algonquin Provincial Park was established.

> [2] The Montreal Amateur Athletic Association won the first
> Stanley Cup, but refused to accept the award because of
> an alleged slight to the team committee.

> [3] A 22,000-pound (10,000 kg) wheel of cheese -- 28 feet
> (8.3 m) in circumference and 6 feet (1.8 m) high -- left
> Perth, Ontario, on a special cheese train to become part
> of an exhibit at the Columbian World's Fair in Chicago.

1893

> 8. [1] The Pickering nuclear power plant was opened after
> 7 years of construction.

> [2] The US and Canada signed the Great Lakes Water Quality
> Agreement.

> [3] Former Prime Minister Lester Pearson died.

1973

> 9. [1] Marilyn Bell became the first person to swim across
> Lake Ontario.

> [2] Roger Bannister and John Landy became the first two men
> to run the same 1-mile race in under 4 minutes, at the
> British Empire and Commonwealth games in Vancouver.

> [3] The St. Lawrence Seaway construction project started.

1954

> 10. [1] Louis Riel was hanged.

> [2] Construction of the CPR main line was completed.
> (Train service along its full length didn't begin
> until the following year.)

> [3] Jumbo the elephant was killed in a collision with a
> freight train in St. Thomas, Ontario.

1875

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - Sports Movies

> 1. "Hoosiers" (1986), Gene Hackman.

basketball

> 2. "Nacho Libre" (2006), Jack Black.

wrestling

> 3. "The Natural" (1984), Robert Redford.

baseball

> 4. "The Damned United" (2009), Michael Sheen.

soccer; rugby

> 5. "Tin Cup" (1996), Kevin Costner, Rene Russo.

golf

> 6. "Invictus" (2009), Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon.

soccer

> 7. "Seabiscuit" (2003), Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges.

horse racing

> 8. "North Dallas Forty" (1979), Nick Nolte, Mac Davis.

American football

> 9. "The Love Guru" (2008), Mike Myers, Justin Timberlake.

hockey

> 10. "Cinderella Man" (2005), Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger.

hockey

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6: CanDates, sports movies

<3994c5d0-a7ef-4977-8b75-a6ca50997373n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5425&group=rec.games.trivia#5425

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 14:40:07 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 22:40 UTC

On Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 5:41:51 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Years in Canadian History
>
> In this round you will be given three events in Canadian history
> that occurred in the same year. (Some of them took place outside
> Canada, but have strong Canadian connections.) For each set of
> three, you are to give the *exact year*.
>
> 1. [1] A Liberal policy convention organized by former Prime
> Minister Laurier turned into Canada's first party
> leadership convention when Laurier died before the
> convention was held. (Before this time federal party
> leaders had been chosen at party caucus meetings.)
>
> [2] Pierre Elliot Trudeau was born.
>
> [3] The Stanley Cup finals between the Seattle Metropolitans
> and the Montreal Canadiens were halted because of illness.

1919

> 2. [1] Alouette I, Canada's first satellite, was launched.
>
> [2] The Fog Bowl Grey Cup was played. The game was stopped
> because of very poor visibility, and the last 9 minutes
> were played the following day, Sunday.
>
> [3] The Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake had its first
> season.

1962

> 3. [1] Anne of Green Gables was first published.
>
> [2] Prince Edward Island banned all motorized cars from
> the province.
>
> [3] Oshawa carriage builder R. Samuel McLaughlin signed a
> deal with Buick giving him rights to Buick-built engines
> for 15 years.

1908

> 4. [1] First Nations people on reserves got the right to vote
> in Federal elections.
>
> [2] Anne Heggtveit became the first Canadian to win an Olympic
> gold medal in skiing.
>
> [3] The Montreal Canadiens won their 5th *consecutive*
> Stanley Cup.

1960

> 5. [1] "O Canada" officially became the Canadian national anthem.
>
> [2] Marshall McLuhan died.
>
> [3] Terry Fox's "Marathon of Hope" was stopped near Thunder
> Bay because of the return of his cancer.

1980

> 6. [1] 22,000,000 people visited a World's Fair in Vancouver.
>
> [2] John Polanyi of the University of Toronto shared the
> Nobel Prize for chemistry.
>
> [3] One of the strongest tornadoes in Canadian history
> hit Barrie.

1986

> 7. [1] Algonquin Provincial Park was established.
>
> [2] The Montreal Amateur Athletic Association won the first
> Stanley Cup, but refused to accept the award because of
> an alleged slight to the team committee.
>
> [3] A 22,000-pound (10,000 kg) wheel of cheese -- 28 feet
> (8.3 m) in circumference and 6 feet (1.8 m) high -- left
> Perth, Ontario, on a special cheese train to become part
> of an exhibit at the Columbian World's Fair in Chicago.

1893 ; 1894

> 8. [1] The Pickering nuclear power plant was opened after
> 7 years of construction.
>
> [2] The US and Canada signed the Great Lakes Water Quality
> Agreement.
>
> [3] Former Prime Minister Lester Pearson died.

1971 ; 1972

> 9. [1] Marilyn Bell became the first person to swim across
> Lake Ontario.
>
> [2] Roger Bannister and John Landy became the first two men
> to run the same 1-mile race in under 4 minutes, at the
> British Empire and Commonwealth games in Vancouver.
>
> [3] The St. Lawrence Seaway construction project started.

1954

> 10. [1] Louis Riel was hanged.
>
> [2] Construction of the CPR main line was completed.
> (Train service along its full length didn't begin
> until the following year.)
>
> [3] Jumbo the elephant was killed in a collision with a
> freight train in St. Thomas, Ontario.

1885

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - Sports Movies
>
> This a round on movies where a specific sport provides the
> framework for the plot. We give you the movie's title, the year
> it was released, and some of the actors; and you name the sport.
> And please don't just say "football" for any answer -- you need
> to be more specific.
>
> 1. "Hoosiers" (1986), Gene Hackman.

basketball

> 2. "Nacho Libre" (2006), Jack Black.

professional wrestling

> 3. "The Natural" (1984), Robert Redford.

baseball

> 4. "The Damned United" (2009), Michael Sheen.

soccer

> 5. "Tin Cup" (1996), Kevin Costner, Rene Russo.

golf

> 6. "Invictus" (2009), Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon.

rugby

> 7. "Seabiscuit" (2003), Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges.

horse racing

> 8. "North Dallas Forty" (1979), Nick Nolte, Mac Davis.

american football

> 9. "The Love Guru" (2008), Mike Myers, Justin Timberlake.

hockey

> 10. "Cinderella Man" (2005), Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger.

boxing

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto "As long as that blue light is on, the
> m...@vex.net computer is safe." -- Hot Millions
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6: CanDates, sports movies

<tl44fg$2fqms$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5426&group=rec.games.trivia#5426

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 17:58:08 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 17 Nov 2022 01:58 UTC

On 11/15/22 14:41, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Years in Canadian History
>
> In this round you will be given three events in Canadian history
> that occurred in the same year. (Some of them took place outside
> Canada, but have strong Canadian connections.) For each set of
> three, you are to give the *exact year*.
>
> 1. [1] A Liberal policy convention organized by former Prime
> Minister Laurier turned into Canada's first party
> leadership convention when Laurier died before the
> convention was held. (Before this time federal party
> leaders had been chosen at party caucus meetings.)
>
> [2] Pierre Elliot Trudeau was born.
>
> [3] The Stanley Cup finals between the Seattle Metropolitans
> and the Montreal Canadiens were halted because of illness.

1919

> 2. [1] Alouette I, Canada's first satellite, was launched.
>
> [2] The Fog Bowl Grey Cup was played. The game was stopped
> because of very poor visibility, and the last 9 minutes
> were played the following day, Sunday.
>
> [3] The Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake had its first
> season.

1975; 1970

> 3. [1] Anne of Green Gables was first published.
>
> [2] Prince Edward Island banned all motorized cars from
> the province.
>
> [3] Oshawa carriage builder R. Samuel McLaughlin signed a
> deal with Buick giving him rights to Buick-built engines
> for 15 years.

1906; 1908

> 4. [1] First Nations people on reserves got the right to vote
> in Federal elections.
>
> [2] Anne Heggtveit became the first Canadian to win an Olympic
> gold medal in skiing.
>
> [3] The Montreal Canadiens won their 5th *consecutive*
> Stanley Cup.

1956; 1952

> 5. [1] "O Canada" officially became the Canadian national anthem.
>
> [2] Marshall McLuhan died.
>
> [3] Terry Fox's "Marathon of Hope" was stopped near Thunder
> Bay because of the return of his cancer.

2002; 2005

> 6. [1] 22,000,000 people visited a World's Fair in Vancouver.
>
> [2] John Polanyi of the University of Toronto shared the
> Nobel Prize for chemistry.
>
> [3] One of the strongest tornadoes in Canadian history
> hit Barrie.

1988; 1987

> 7. [1] Algonquin Provincial Park was established.
>
> [2] The Montreal Amateur Athletic Association won the first
> Stanley Cup, but refused to accept the award because of
> an alleged slight to the team committee.
>
> [3] A 22,000-pound (10,000 kg) wheel of cheese -- 28 feet
> (8.3 m) in circumference and 6 feet (1.8 m) high -- left
> Perth, Ontario, on a special cheese train to become part
> of an exhibit at the Columbian World's Fair in Chicago.

1893;1894

> 8. [1] The Pickering nuclear power plant was opened after
> 7 years of construction.
>
> [2] The US and Canada signed the Great Lakes Water Quality
> Agreement.
>
> [3] Former Prime Minister Lester Pearson died.

1973; 1971

> 9. [1] Marilyn Bell became the first person to swim across
> Lake Ontario.
>
> [2] Roger Bannister and John Landy became the first two men
> to run the same 1-mile race in under 4 minutes, at the
> British Empire and Commonwealth games in Vancouver.
>
> [3] The St. Lawrence Seaway construction project started.

1953

> 10. [1] Louis Riel was hanged.
>
> [2] Construction of the CPR main line was completed.
> (Train service along its full length didn't begin
> until the following year.)
>
> [3] Jumbo the elephant was killed in a collision with a
> freight train in St. Thomas, Ontario.

1887; 1889

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - Sports Movies
>
> This a round on movies where a specific sport provides the
> framework for the plot. We give you the movie's title, the year
> it was released, and some of the actors; and you name the sport.
> And please don't just say "football" for any answer -- you need
> to be more specific.
>
> 1. "Hoosiers" (1986), Gene Hackman.

basketball

> 2. "Nacho Libre" (2006), Jack Black.

volleyball

> 3. "The Natural" (1984), Robert Redford.

baseball

> 4. "The Damned United" (2009), Michael Sheen.

soccer

> 5. "Tin Cup" (1996), Kevin Costner, Rene Russo.

golf

> 6. "Invictus" (2009), Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon.

track & field

> 7. "Seabiscuit" (2003), Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges.

horse racing

> 8. "North Dallas Forty" (1979), Nick Nolte, Mac Davis.

American football

> 9. "The Love Guru" (2008), Mike Myers, Justin Timberlake.
> 10. "Cinderella Man" (2005), Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger.

track and field

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6 answers: CanDates, sports movies

<AFWdnQeyt_T0_uX-nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5427&group=rec.games.trivia#5427

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 4,6 answers: CanDates, sports movies
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 05:02:33 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 05:02 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Years in Canadian History

> In this round you will be given three events in Canadian history
> that occurred in the same year. (Some of them took place outside
> Canada, but have strong Canadian connections.) For each set of
> three, you are to give the *exact year*.

> 1. [1] A Liberal policy convention organized by former Prime
> Minister Laurier turned into Canada's first party
> leadership convention when Laurier died before the
> convention was held. (Before this time federal party
> leaders had been chosen at party caucus meetings.)

> [2] Pierre Elliot Trudeau was born.

> [3] The Stanley Cup finals between the Seattle Metropolitans
> and the Montreal Canadiens were halted because of illness.

1919. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

As to [3], the illness, of course, was the "Spanish flu" pandemic.
Seattle didn't have an NHL team until 2021, but the Stanley Cup final
in question happened during a period of about 10 years when the series
was regularly held between the champions of the two major leagues then
existing -- the Pacific Coast Hockey Association and first the NHA,
then the NHL. (See Game 3, Round 6, question 1.) It was after the
PCHA folded that the NHL took exclusive control of the Cup.

> 2. [1] Alouette I, Canada's first satellite, was launched.

> [2] The Fog Bowl Grey Cup was played. The game was stopped
> because of very poor visibility, and the last 9 minutes
> were played the following day, Sunday.

> [3] The Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake had its first
> season.

1962. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. [1] Anne of Green Gables was first published.

> [2] Prince Edward Island banned all motorized cars from
> the province.

> [3] Oshawa carriage builder R. Samuel McLaughlin signed a
> deal with Buick giving him rights to Buick-built engines
> for 15 years.

1908. 4 for Stephen. 2 for Dan Tilque.

> 4. [1] First Nations people on reserves got the right to vote
> in Federal elections.

> [2] Anne Heggtveit became the first Canadian to win an Olympic
> gold medal in skiing.

> [3] The Montreal Canadiens won their 5th *consecutive*
> Stanley Cup.

1960. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 5. [1] "O Canada" officially became the Canadian national anthem.

> [2] Marshall McLuhan died.

> [3] Terry Fox's "Marathon of Hope" was stopped near Thunder
> Bay because of the return of his cancer.

1980. 4 for Stephen.

> 6. [1] 22,000,000 people visited a World's Fair in Vancouver.

As usual, this is really a count of admissions, not distinct people.
I, for example, am counted about 6 times.

> [2] John Polanyi of the University of Toronto shared the
> Nobel Prize for chemistry.

> [3] One of the strongest tornadoes in Canadian history
> hit Barrie.

1986. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. [1] Algonquin Provincial Park was established.

> [2] The Montreal Amateur Athletic Association won the first
> Stanley Cup, but refused to accept the award because of
> an alleged slight to the team committee.

> [3] A 22,000-pound (10,000 kg) wheel of cheese -- 28 feet
> (8.3 m) in circumference and 6 feet (1.8 m) high -- left
> Perth, Ontario, on a special cheese train to become part
> of an exhibit at the Columbian World's Fair in Chicago.

1893. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Stephen and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

The World's Fair was named in honor of the 400th anniversary of
Columbus's first voyage, even though that was the year before.
They did manage to hold a dedication ceremony while it was still 1892.

> 8. [1] The Pickering nuclear power plant was opened after
> 7 years of construction.

> [2] The US and Canada signed the Great Lakes Water Quality
> Agreement.

> [3] Former Prime Minister Lester Pearson died.

1972. 2 for Stephen.

> 9. [1] Marilyn Bell became the first person to swim across
> Lake Ontario.

> [2] Roger Bannister and John Landy became the first two men
> to run the same 1-mile race in under 4 minutes, at the
> British Empire and Commonwealth games in Vancouver.

> [3] The St. Lawrence Seaway construction project started.

1954. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

> 10. [1] Louis Riel was hanged.

> [2] Construction of the CPR main line was completed.
> (Train service along its full length didn't begin
> until the following year.)

> [3] Jumbo the elephant was killed in a collision with a
> freight train in St. Thomas, Ontario.

1885. 4 for Stephen.

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - Sports Movies

> This a round on movies where a specific sport provides the
> framework for the plot. We give you the movie's title, the year
> it was released, and some of the actors; and you name the sport.
> And please don't just say "football" for any answer -- you need
> to be more specific.

In the original game, this was the easiest round in the entire season.

> 1. "Hoosiers" (1986), Gene Hackman.

Basketball. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. "Nacho Libre" (2006), Jack Black.

Wrestling. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 3. "The Natural" (1984), Robert Redford.

Baseball. 4 for everyone.

> 4. "The Damned United" (2009), Michael Sheen.

Soccer. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 5. "Tin Cup" (1996), Kevin Costner, Rene Russo.

Golf. 4 for everyone.

> 6. "Invictus" (2009), Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon.

Rugby. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 7. "Seabiscuit" (2003), Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges.

(Thoroughbred) horse racing. 4 for everyone.

> 8. "North Dallas Forty" (1979), Nick Nolte, Mac Davis.

American football. 4 for everyone.

> 9. "The Love Guru" (2008), Mike Myers, Justin Timberlake.

Yes, hockey. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 10. "Cinderella Man" (2005), Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger.

Boxing. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Can Spo
Stephen Perry 40 40 37 40 157
Joshua Kreitzer 32 31 5 40 108
Dan Blum 20 24 12 31 87
Dan Tilque 8 20 9 24 61
Pete Gayde 20 27 -- -- 47
Erland Sommarskog 0 36 -- -- 36

--
Mark Brader | "Which baby is that? Oh, of course -- it must be
Toronto | the one that comes complete with bathwater."