You have a strong appeal for members of the opposite sex.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominids

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominidsMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominidsJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominidsswp
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominidsDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominidsDan Tilque
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominidsPete Gayde
`- RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: Dickens, hominidsMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominids

<4AOdnRAOcMFf_uX-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5428&group=rec.games.trivia#5428

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominids
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 05:04:02 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 05:04 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 7 - Literature - Dickens Characters

We'll give you the name of a Dickens character; you tell us which
work they're from.

1. Nell Trent.
2. Bob Cratchit.
3. John Jarndyce.
4. Sydney Carton.
5. Wackford Squeers.
6. Edward Murdstone.
7. Thomas Gradgrind.
8. Estella Havisham.
9. Augustus Snodgrass.
10. Bill Sikes or Sykes.

* Game 6, Round 8 - Science - Hominids

This is a round about hominids and their fossil-hunters.

1. The Leakey family are famous paleoanthropologists. Who """is"""
the son of Mary and Louis Leakey? He """is""" a noted hominid
hunter himself, as well as the former chair of the National
Museums of Kenya and head of the Kenya wildlife services.
We need his first name.

2. What is the name of the gorge on the southern edge of the
Serengeti Plain in Tanzania, where Mary and Louis Leakey worked
for over 30 years searching for ancient hominids?

3. What is the *nickname* of the 40% complete, 1 m tall fossil
skeleton of Australopithecus afarensis found in the Hadar region
of Ethiopia in 1974?

4. There were/are tensions between the Leakeys and the discoverers
of <answer 3> over naming of the species, where it resides in
our evolutionary past, and who should be able to dig where.
Scientists hissing and scratching!! Name either of the
paleoanthropologists who headed the dig where <answer 3>
was found.

5. In 1964, Louis Leakey discovered Homo habilis. Although there is
debate about what specimens belong to the species and the actual
name (to some it goes by Australopithecus rather than Homo),
what does "habilis" mean for this species?

6. What important fossils did Mary Leakey discover at the Laetoli
site in Tanzania in 1978? These 3,600,000-year-old fossils
lend proof to early bipedalism.

7. In 1890, Eugene Dubois discovered and named Pithecanthropus
erectus (later renamed Homo erectus) in the Dutch East Indies.
What is the *nickname* of his find?

8. Name *either* the South African who found this specimen in 1924
*or* the nickname of the specimen itself. It was the first
Australopithecine found, Australopithecus africanus, and has
nicks on the skull that look like they might have come from
an eagle's bill. The nickname refers to the region in South
Africa where it was found.

9. There has been a """recent""" dating of a Neanderthal specimen
from Zafarraya in Southern Spain. Knowing that exact dating is
a science with rough edges, we'll allow you 3,000 years' leeway
either way. How old, within that margin, is this Neanderthal?

10. The Neanderthals are officially called Homo sapiens
neanderthalensis. What, then, is our own official name?
--
Mark Brader | "...it's always easier to see the mud when it's
Toronto | coming toward your side rather than from your side."

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominids

<819ce782-e2eb-4be6-8392-44bfb3fcbe43n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5429&group=rec.games.trivia#5429

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 21:40:17 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominids
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 05:40 UTC

On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 11:04:07 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Literature - Dickens Characters
>
> We'll give you the name of a Dickens character; you tell us which
> work they're from.
>
> 1. Nell Trent.

"The Old Curiosity Shop"

> 2. Bob Cratchit.

"A Christmas Carol"

> 3. John Jarndyce.

"Bleak House"
> 4. Sydney Carton.

"A Tale of Two Cities"

> 5. Wackford Squeers.

"David Copperfield"

> 6. Edward Murdstone.

"Nicholas Nickleby"; "Martin Chuzzlewit"

> 7. Thomas Gradgrind.

"Nicholas Nickleby"; "Martin Chuzzlewit"

> 8. Estella Havisham.

"Great Expectations"
> 9. Augustus Snodgrass.

"Nicholas Nickleby"; "Martin Chuzzlewit"

> 10. Bill Sikes or Sykes.

"Oliver Twist"

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Science - Hominids
>
> This is a round about hominids and their fossil-hunters.
>
> 1. The Leakey family are famous paleoanthropologists. Who """is"""
> the son of Mary and Louis Leakey? He """is""" a noted hominid
> hunter himself, as well as the former chair of the National
> Museums of Kenya and head of the Kenya wildlife services.
> We need his first name.

Richard Leakey
> 2. What is the name of the gorge on the southern edge of the
> Serengeti Plain in Tanzania, where Mary and Louis Leakey worked
> for over 30 years searching for ancient hominids?

Olduvai Gorge

> 3. What is the *nickname* of the 40% complete, 1 m tall fossil
> skeleton of Australopithecus afarensis found in the Hadar region
> of Ethiopia in 1974?

Lucy

> 5. In 1964, Louis Leakey discovered Homo habilis. Although there is
> debate about what specimens belong to the species and the actual
> name (to some it goes by Australopithecus rather than Homo),
> what does "habilis" mean for this species?

handy

> 7. In 1890, Eugene Dubois discovered and named Pithecanthropus
> erectus (later renamed Homo erectus) in the Dutch East Indies.
> What is the *nickname* of his find?

Java man
> 9. There has been a """recent""" dating of a Neanderthal specimen
> from Zafarraya in Southern Spain. Knowing that exact dating is
> a science with rough edges, we'll allow you 3,000 years' leeway
> either way. How old, within that margin, is this Neanderthal?

200,009 years old; 300,009 years old

> 10. The Neanderthals are officially called Homo sapiens
> neanderthalensis. What, then, is our own official name?

Homo sapiens sapiens

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominids

<46d68274-6940-46f6-b650-5825a348d286n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5430&group=rec.games.trivia#5430

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 06:22:03 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 14:22 UTC

On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 12:04:07 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Literature - Dickens Characters
>
> We'll give you the name of a Dickens character; you tell us which
> work they're from.
>
> 1. Nell Trent.

the old curiosity shop

> 2. Bob Cratchit.

a christmas carol

> 3. John Jarndyce.

bleak house

> 4. Sydney Carton.

a tale of two cities

> 5. Wackford Squeers.

nicholas nickleby

> 6. Edward Murdstone.

david copperfield

> 7. Thomas Gradgrind.

hard times

> 8. Estella Havisham.

great expectations

> 9. Augustus Snodgrass.

the pickwick papers

> 10. Bill Sikes or Sykes.

oliver twist

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Science - Hominids
>
> This is a round about hominids and their fossil-hunters.
>
> 1. The Leakey family are famous paleoanthropologists. Who """is"""
> the son of Mary and Louis Leakey? He """is""" a noted hominid
> hunter himself, as well as the former chair of the National
> Museums of Kenya and head of the Kenya wildlife services.
> We need his first name.

dick ;-)

> 2. What is the name of the gorge on the southern edge of the
> Serengeti Plain in Tanzania, where Mary and Louis Leakey worked
> for over 30 years searching for ancient hominids?

olduvai gorge [home of olduvai university per larson]

> 3. What is the *nickname* of the 40% complete, 1 m tall fossil
> skeleton of Australopithecus afarensis found in the Hadar region
> of Ethiopia in 1974?

lucy

> 4. There were/are tensions between the Leakeys and the discoverers
> of <answer 3> over naming of the species, where it resides in
> our evolutionary past, and who should be able to dig where.
> Scientists hissing and scratching!! Name either of the
> paleoanthropologists who headed the dig where <answer 3>
> was found.

johnson ; africa

> 5. In 1964, Louis Leakey discovered Homo habilis. Although there is
> debate about what specimens belong to the species and the actual
> name (to some it goes by Australopithecus rather than Homo),
> what does "habilis" mean for this species?

able

> 6. What important fossils did Mary Leakey discover at the Laetoli
> site in Tanzania in 1978? These 3,600,000-year-old fossils
> lend proof to early bipedalism.

footprints?

> 7. In 1890, Eugene Dubois discovered and named Pithecanthropus
> erectus (later renamed Homo erectus) in the Dutch East Indies.
> What is the *nickname* of his find?

java man [clearly an early programmer]

> 8. Name *either* the South African who found this specimen in 1924
> *or* the nickname of the specimen itself. It was the first
> Australopithecine found, Australopithecus africanus, and has
> nicks on the skull that look like they might have come from
> an eagle's bill. The nickname refers to the region in South
> Africa where it was found.

bob ; sun city

> 9. There has been a """recent""" dating of a Neanderthal specimen
> from Zafarraya in Southern Spain. Knowing that exact dating is
> a science with rough edges, we'll allow you 3,000 years' leeway
> either way. How old, within that margin, is this Neanderthal?

30000

> 10. The Neanderthals are officially called Homo sapiens
> neanderthalensis. What, then, is our own official name?

homo sapiens sapiens [well, the rest of you maybe. I am homo sapiens superior]

> --
> Mark Brader | "...it's always easier to see the mud when it's
> Toronto | coming toward your side rather than from your side."
> m...@vex.net | --Mike Kruger
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominids

<tlaqpk$g0h$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5431&group=rec.games.trivia#5431

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 14:55:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 14:55 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Literature - Dickens Characters

> 1. Nell Trent.

The Old Curiousity Shop

> 2. Bob Cratchit.

A Christmas Carol

> 3. John Jarndyce.

Bleak House; Great Expectations

> 4. Sydney Carton.

A Tale of Two Cities

> 5. Wackford Squeers.

Martin Chuzzlewit; David Copperfield

> 6. Edward Murdstone.

David Copperfield; Bleak House

> 7. Thomas Gradgrind.

Great Expectations; Martin Chuzzlewit

> 8. Estella Havisham.

Bleak House

> 9. Augustus Snodgrass.

The Mystery of Edwin Drood; David Copperfield

> 10. Bill Sikes or Sykes.

Oliver Twist

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Science - Hominids

> 1. The Leakey family are famous paleoanthropologists. Who """is"""
> the son of Mary and Louis Leakey? He """is""" a noted hominid
> hunter himself, as well as the former chair of the National
> Museums of Kenya and head of the Kenya wildlife services.
> We need his first name.

Richard Leakey

> 2. What is the name of the gorge on the southern edge of the
> Serengeti Plain in Tanzania, where Mary and Louis Leakey worked
> for over 30 years searching for ancient hominids?

Olduvai

> 3. What is the *nickname* of the 40% complete, 1 m tall fossil
> skeleton of Australopithecus afarensis found in the Hadar region
> of Ethiopia in 1974?

Lucy

> 5. In 1964, Louis Leakey discovered Homo habilis. Although there is
> debate about what specimens belong to the species and the actual
> name (to some it goes by Australopithecus rather than Homo),
> what does "habilis" mean for this species?

good with its hands

> 6. What important fossils did Mary Leakey discover at the Laetoli
> site in Tanzania in 1978? These 3,600,000-year-old fossils
> lend proof to early bipedalism.

footprints

> 7. In 1890, Eugene Dubois discovered and named Pithecanthropus
> erectus (later renamed Homo erectus) in the Dutch East Indies.
> What is the *nickname* of his find?

Java Man

> 9. There has been a """recent""" dating of a Neanderthal specimen
> from Zafarraya in Southern Spain. Knowing that exact dating is
> a science with rough edges, we'll allow you 3,000 years' leeway
> either way. How old, within that margin, is this Neanderthal?

15,000 years

> 10. The Neanderthals are officially called Homo sapiens
> neanderthalensis. What, then, is our own official name?

Homo sapiens sapiens

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominids

<tlcmuq$3fmqv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5432&group=rec.games.trivia#5432

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 00:02:33 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 08:02 UTC

On 11/18/22 21:04, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Literature - Dickens Characters
>
> We'll give you the name of a Dickens character; you tell us which
> work they're from.
>
> 1. Nell Trent.
> 2. Bob Cratchit.

A Christmas Carol

> 3. John Jarndyce.
> 4. Sydney Carton.
> 5. Wackford Squeers.
> 6. Edward Murdstone.
> 7. Thomas Gradgrind.
> 8. Estella Havisham.

Great Expectations

> 9. Augustus Snodgrass.
> 10. Bill Sikes or Sykes.
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Science - Hominids
>
> This is a round about hominids and their fossil-hunters.
>
> 1. The Leakey family are famous paleoanthropologists. Who """is"""
> the son of Mary and Louis Leakey? He """is""" a noted hominid
> hunter himself, as well as the former chair of the National
> Museums of Kenya and head of the Kenya wildlife services.
> We need his first name.

Charles

> 2. What is the name of the gorge on the southern edge of the
> Serengeti Plain in Tanzania, where Mary and Louis Leakey worked
> for over 30 years searching for ancient hominids?

Olduvai

> 3. What is the *nickname* of the 40% complete, 1 m tall fossil
> skeleton of Australopithecus afarensis found in the Hadar region
> of Ethiopia in 1974?

Lucy

> 4. There were/are tensions between the Leakeys and the discoverers
> of <answer 3> over naming of the species, where it resides in
> our evolutionary past, and who should be able to dig where.
> Scientists hissing and scratching!! Name either of the
> paleoanthropologists who headed the dig where <answer 3>
> was found.

Johanson

> 5. In 1964, Louis Leakey discovered Homo habilis. Although there is
> debate about what specimens belong to the species and the actual
> name (to some it goes by Australopithecus rather than Homo),
> what does "habilis" mean for this species?

handy

> 6. What important fossils did Mary Leakey discover at the Laetoli
> site in Tanzania in 1978? These 3,600,000-year-old fossils
> lend proof to early bipedalism.

footprints

> 7. In 1890, Eugene Dubois discovered and named Pithecanthropus
> erectus (later renamed Homo erectus) in the Dutch East Indies.
> What is the *nickname* of his find?

Java Man

> 8. Name *either* the South African who found this specimen in 1924
> *or* the nickname of the specimen itself. It was the first
> Australopithecine found, Australopithecus africanus, and has
> nicks on the skull that look like they might have come from
> an eagle's bill. The nickname refers to the region in South
> Africa where it was found.

Dart

> 9. There has been a """recent""" dating of a Neanderthal specimen
> from Zafarraya in Southern Spain. Knowing that exact dating is
> a science with rough edges, we'll allow you 3,000 years' leeway
> either way. How old, within that margin, is this Neanderthal?

46,000 years

> 10. The Neanderthals are officially called Homo sapiens
> neanderthalensis. What, then, is our own official name?

Homo sapiens sapiens

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Dickens, hominids

<tlhcp8$13mj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5433&group=rec.games.trivia#5433

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 20:39:37 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 02:39 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Literature - Dickens Characters
>
> We'll give you the name of a Dickens character; you tell us which
> work they're from.
>
> 1. Nell Trent.
> 2. Bob Cratchit.

A Christmas Story

> 3. John Jarndyce.
> 4. Sydney Carton.

A Tale of Two Cities

> 5. Wackford Squeers.
> 6. Edward Murdstone.
> 7. Thomas Gradgrind.
> 8. Estella Havisham.
> 9. Augustus Snodgrass.
> 10. Bill Sikes or Sykes.

Oliver Twist

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Science - Hominids
>
> This is a round about hominids and their fossil-hunters.
>
> 1. The Leakey family are famous paleoanthropologists. Who """is"""
> the son of Mary and Louis Leakey? He """is""" a noted hominid
> hunter himself, as well as the former chair of the National
> Museums of Kenya and head of the Kenya wildlife services.
> We need his first name.
>
> 2. What is the name of the gorge on the southern edge of the
> Serengeti Plain in Tanzania, where Mary and Louis Leakey worked
> for over 30 years searching for ancient hominids?
>
> 3. What is the *nickname* of the 40% complete, 1 m tall fossil
> skeleton of Australopithecus afarensis found in the Hadar region
> of Ethiopia in 1974?

Lucy

> 4. There were/are tensions between the Leakeys and the discoverers
> of <answer 3> over naming of the species, where it resides in
> our evolutionary past, and who should be able to dig where.
> Scientists hissing and scratching!! Name either of the
> paleoanthropologists who headed the dig where <answer 3>
> was found.
>
> 5. In 1964, Louis Leakey discovered Homo habilis. Although there is
> debate about what specimens belong to the species and the actual
> name (to some it goes by Australopithecus rather than Homo),
> what does "habilis" mean for this species?
>
> 6. What important fossils did Mary Leakey discover at the Laetoli
> site in Tanzania in 1978? These 3,600,000-year-old fossils
> lend proof to early bipedalism.
>
> 7. In 1890, Eugene Dubois discovered and named Pithecanthropus
> erectus (later renamed Homo erectus) in the Dutch East Indies.
> What is the *nickname* of his find?

Lucy

> 8. Name *either* the South African who found this specimen in 1924
> *or* the nickname of the specimen itself. It was the first
> Australopithecine found, Australopithecus africanus, and has
> nicks on the skull that look like they might have come from
> an eagle's bill. The nickname refers to the region in South
> Africa where it was found.
>
> 9. There has been a """recent""" dating of a Neanderthal specimen
> from Zafarraya in Southern Spain. Knowing that exact dating is
> a science with rough edges, we'll allow you 3,000 years' leeway
> either way. How old, within that margin, is this Neanderthal?
>
> 10. The Neanderthals are officially called Homo sapiens
> neanderthalensis. What, then, is our own official name?

Pete Gayde

RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: Dickens, hominids

<Ut-cnUALT9h29uH-nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5434&group=rec.games.trivia#5434

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: Dickens, hominids
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 06:27:55 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 06:27 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Literature - Dickens Characters

> We'll give you the name of a Dickens character; you tell us which
> work they're from.

> 1. Nell Trent.

"The Old Curiosity Shop". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Bluum.

> 2. Bob Cratchit.

"A Christmas Carol". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

"A Christmas Story" is by Jean Shepherd, not Dickens.

> 3. John Jarndyce.

"Bleak House". 4 for Joshua and Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 4. Sydney Carton.

"A Tale of Two Cities". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 5. Wackford Squeers.

"Nicholas Nickleby". 4 for Stephen.

> 6. Edward Murdstone.

"David Copperfield". 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 7. Thomas Gradgrind.

"Hard Times". 4 for Stephen.

> 8. Estella Havisham.

"Great Expectations". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Augustus Snodgrass.

"The Pickwick Papers". 4 for Stephen.

> 10. Bill Sikes or Sykes.

"Oliver Twist". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Pete.

Judging by Google Books results, Sikes was the intended spelling of
the name but in different editions of the novel it is misspelled Sykes
in different places from time to time, and some screen adaptations
have used the latter spelling. The former Canadian Inquisition team
named after the character -- because their home pub was the Artful
Dodger -- split the difference by spelling their name "Bill Psychs".

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Science - Hominids

> This is a round about hominids and their fossil-hunters.

> 1. The Leakey family are famous paleoanthropologists. Who """is"""
> the son of Mary and Louis Leakey? He """is""" a noted hominid
> hunter himself, as well as the former chair of the National
> Museums of Kenya and head of the Kenya wildlife services.
> We need his first name.

Richard Leakey. (He died in January 2022.) 4 for Joshua, Stephen,
and Dan Blum.

> 2. What is the name of the gorge on the southern edge of the
> Serengeti Plain in Tanzania, where Mary and Louis Leakey worked
> for over 30 years searching for ancient hominids?

Olduvai Gorge. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. What is the *nickname* of the 40% complete, 1 m tall fossil
> skeleton of Australopithecus afarensis found in the Hadar region
> of Ethiopia in 1974?

Lucy. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 4. There were/are tensions between the Leakeys and the discoverers
> of <answer 3> over naming of the species, where it resides in
> our evolutionary past, and who should be able to dig where.
> Scientists hissing and scratching!! Name either of the
> paleoanthropologists who headed the dig where <answer 3>
> was found.

Donald Johanson, Tim White. I scored "Johnson" as almost correct.
4 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Stephen.

> 5. In 1964, Louis Leakey discovered Homo habilis. Although there is
> debate about what specimens belong to the species and the actual
> name (to some it goes by Australopithecus rather than Homo),
> what does "habilis" mean for this species?

Handy (accepting "handyman", "able", "dextrous", etc.). 4 for Joshua,
Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. What important fossils did Mary Leakey discover at the Laetoli
> site in Tanzania in 1978? These 3,600,000-year-old fossils
> lend proof to early bipedalism.

Footprints of hominids walking. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. In 1890, Eugene Dubois discovered and named Pithecanthropus
> erectus (later renamed Homo erectus) in the Dutch East Indies.
> What is the *nickname* of his find?

Java man. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Name *either* the South African who found this specimen in 1924
> *or* the nickname of the specimen itself. It was the first
> Australopithecine found, Australopithecus africanus, and has
> nicks on the skull that look like they might have come from
> an eagle's bill. The nickname refers to the region in South
> Africa where it was found.

Raymond Dart, Taung child skull. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. There has been a """recent""" dating of a Neanderthal specimen
> from Zafarraya in Southern Spain. Knowing that exact dating is
> a science with rough edges, we'll allow you 3,000 years' leeway
> either way. How old, within that margin, is this Neanderthal?

28,000 years (accepting 25,000-31,000). 4 for Stephen.

> 10. The Neanderthals are officially called Homo sapiens
> neanderthalensis. What, then, is our own official name?

Homo sapiens sapiens. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Can Spo Lit Sci FOUR
Stephen Perry 40 40 37 40 40 34 160
Joshua Kreitzer 32 31 5 40 24 24 127
Dan Blum 20 24 12 31 22 28 105
Dan Tilque 8 20 9 24 8 32 85
Pete Gayde 20 27 -- -- 8 4 59
Erland Sommarskog 0 36 -- -- -- -- 36

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "It's the almost correct solutions that
msb@vex.net are the most dangerous..." -- Dave Eisen