It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than forgiveness for being right.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainment

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainmentMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainmentJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainmentErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainmentDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainmentDan Tilque
+* RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainmentDan Tilque
|`* RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainmentDan Tilque
| `- RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainmentMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: history, entertainmentMark Brader
`* RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainmentPete Gayde
 `- RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainmentMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainment

<lm-dnQWuMYevpFv-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5470&group=rec.games.trivia#5470

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainment
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 05:59:14 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 05:59 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-22,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

When the Final of this season was played, I was out of town and
therefore unable to post the current-events round while it was
reasonably current; and therefore I don't have the questions to be
able to select and repost the usual excerpt from it now. Sorry.

** Final, Round 2 - History

* Long-Serving Provincial Premiers

Mackenzie King was Prime Minister of Canada for an impressive
22 years; but some Canadian provincial premiers have held office
for an even longer time.

1. He was premier of Ontario for 24 years, longer than anyone else.
Who was he?

2. He was premier of Alberta for 25 years, longer than anyone else.
Who was he?

3. George Henry Murray was premier for 27 years between 1896 and
1923 -- a Canadian record. Which province did Mr. Murray govern?

* Kings Ruling England who were Also Brothers

Given the name of an English king (including kings of Great Britain
or the UK), name his brother who also ruled England. For example,
if we mentioned George VI, you would say Edward VIII.

4. Richard III.
5. William II.
6. William IV.

* American Revolution

7. Revolutionary War General John Stark is credited with coining
what phrase that became the motto of the state of New Hampshire?

8. What was the name given to the militiamen commanded by Ethan
Allen?

9. Which British general surrendered at Yorktown, leading to the
British surrender in the war?

* Political Firsts

10. Who was the first Secretary-General of the United Nations?
He served from 1946 to 1953.

11. In the government of England (again, including Great Britain and
the UK), who is considered to have been the first Prime Minister,
although that name for his position was not invented until later?

12. Who was the first Prime Minister of Israel?

* Prisons

13. In 1971, a riot in what prison caused more casualties between
Americans than """any engagement since the Civil War"""?

14. Name the prison where Adolf Hitler was incarcerated in 1924,
and wrote "Mein Kampf".

15. What was the name of the largest Confederate prison camp
(in Americus, GA)?

** Final, Round 3 - Entertainment

* Songs from Musicals

1. In what musical would you find "Ya Got Trouble", "76 Trombones",
and "Till There Was You"?

2. In what musical would you find "Some Enchanted Evening",
"There Is Nothing Like A Dame", and "I'm Going to Wash That
Man Right Outta My Hair"?

3. In what musical would you find "The Rain in Spain", "I Could
Have Danced All Night", and "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face"?

* The Rolling Stones

4. The Rolling Stones' first single was a song titled "Come On",
written by Chuck Berry. In what year was it released?

5. Name the Stones' first #1 hit in the US, released 2 years later.

6. Name the artist who designed the Stones' lips-and-tongue logo
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/lips.jpg>.

* Actors Who Died in the Middle of a TV Series

7. He played the role of barkeep Ernie Pantusso, a former
minor-league manager and an ex-ballplayer who had been beaned
several times, explaining his deteriorated mental status.
He died during the third season of "Cheers". Name the actor.

8. Best known for playing the laid-back, but very wry, Detective
Sergeant Nick Yemana on "Barney Miller". He died during the
show's fifth season. Name the actor.

9. This American character actor had a recurring role as desk
sergeant Phil Esterhaus on "Hill Street Blues", for which he
won two Best Supporting Actor Emmy Awards (in 1981 and 1982).
He died during the shooting of the show's fourth season.
Name the actor.

* Acting Siblings

In each case, name the indicated relative who is (or was)
also an actor or actress.

10. Sister of movie actor Warren Beatty.
11. Sister of movie actress Olivia de Havilland.
12. Brother of "Mission: Impossible" star Peter Graves.

* Canadian Actors

In each case, name the actor.

13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act13.png
14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act14.jpg
15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act15.jpg

--
Mark Brader | "Nothing is more sacrosanct than our professional ethics.
Toronto | Fortunately, I know a trick to get around them."

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainment

<e8f70a06-6b60-4e30-9198-79d590679f96n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5471&group=rec.games.trivia#5471

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 23:40:24 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 07:40 UTC

On Monday, January 16, 2023 at 11:59:18 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-22,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>
> When the Final of this season was played, I was out of town and
> therefore unable to post the current-events round while it was
> reasonably current; and therefore I don't have the questions to be
> able to select and repost the usual excerpt from it now. Sorry.
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Long-Serving Provincial Premiers
>
> 3. George Henry Murray was premier for 27 years between 1896 and
> 1923 -- a Canadian record. Which province did Mr. Murray govern?

New Brunswick; Nova Scotia

> * Kings Ruling England who were Also Brothers
>
> Given the name of an English king (including kings of Great Britain
> or the UK), name his brother who also ruled England. For example,
> if we mentioned George VI, you would say Edward VIII.
>
> 4. Richard III.

John

> 5. William II.

Henry I

> 6. William IV.

George IV

> * American Revolution
>
> 7. Revolutionary War General John Stark is credited with coining
> what phrase that became the motto of the state of New Hampshire?

Live free or die

> 8. What was the name given to the militiamen commanded by Ethan
> Allen?

Green Mountain Boys

> 9. Which British general surrendered at Yorktown, leading to the
> British surrender in the war?

Cornwallis

> * Political Firsts
>
> 10. Who was the first Secretary-General of the United Nations?
> He served from 1946 to 1953.

Lie

> 11. In the government of England (again, including Great Britain and
> the UK), who is considered to have been the first Prime Minister,
> although that name for his position was not invented until later?

Pitt

> 12. Who was the first Prime Minister of Israel?

David Ben-Gurion
> * Prisons
>
> 13. In 1971, a riot in what prison caused more casualties between
> Americans than """any engagement since the Civil War"""?

Attica
> 15. What was the name of the largest Confederate prison camp
> (in Americus, GA)?

Andersonville
> ** Final, Round 3 - Entertainment
>
> * Songs from Musicals
>
> 1. In what musical would you find "Ya Got Trouble", "76 Trombones",
> and "Till There Was You"?

"The Music Man"

> 2. In what musical would you find "Some Enchanted Evening",
> "There Is Nothing Like A Dame", and "I'm Going to Wash That
> Man Right Outta My Hair"?

"South Pacific"

> 3. In what musical would you find "The Rain in Spain", "I Could
> Have Danced All Night", and "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face"?

"My Fair Lady"

> * The Rolling Stones
>
> 4. The Rolling Stones' first single was a song titled "Come On",
> written by Chuck Berry. In what year was it released?

1963

> 5. Name the Stones' first #1 hit in the US, released 2 years later.

"Satisfaction"

> 6. Name the artist who designed the Stones' lips-and-tongue logo
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/lips.jpg>.

Andy Warhol (?)

> * Actors Who Died in the Middle of a TV Series
>
> 7. He played the role of barkeep Ernie Pantusso, a former
> minor-league manager and an ex-ballplayer who had been beaned
> several times, explaining his deteriorated mental status.
> He died during the third season of "Cheers". Name the actor.

Colasanto
> 8. Best known for playing the laid-back, but very wry, Detective
> Sergeant Nick Yemana on "Barney Miller". He died during the
> show's fifth season. Name the actor.

Soo

> * Acting Siblings
>
> In each case, name the indicated relative who is (or was)
> also an actor or actress.
>
> 10. Sister of movie actor Warren Beatty.

Shirley MacLaine

> 11. Sister of movie actress Olivia de Havilland.

Joan Fontaine

> 12. Brother of "Mission: Impossible" star Peter Graves.

James Arness

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainment

<XnsAF8FCBF8D981Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5472&group=rec.games.trivia#5472

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 20:03:04 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 19:03 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Kings Ruling England who were Also Brothers
>
> Given the name of an English king (including kings of Great Britain
> or the UK), name his brother who also ruled England. For example,
> if we mentioned George VI, you would say Edward VIII.
>
> 4. Richard III.

Edward IV

> 5. William II.

Henry I

> 6. William IV.

George IV
> * Political Firsts
>
> 10. Who was the first Secretary-General of the United Nations?
> He served from 1946 to 1953.

Tryggve Li
> 12. Who was the first Prime Minister of Israel?

Ben-Gurion
> * Prisons
>
> 13. In 1971, a riot in what prison caused more casualties between
> Americans than """any engagement since the Civil War"""?

San Quentin
> ** Final, Round 3 - Entertainment
>
> 2. In what musical would you find "Some Enchanted Evening",
> "There Is Nothing Like A Dame", and "I'm Going to Wash That
> Man Right Outta My Hair"?

Singing in the Rain
> 3. In what musical would you find "The Rain in Spain", "I Could
> Have Danced All Night", and "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face"?

My Fair Lady
> * The Rolling Stones
>
> 4. The Rolling Stones' first single was a song titled "Come On",
> written by Chuck Berry. In what year was it released?

1962
> 5. Name the Stones' first #1 hit in the US, released 2 years later.

Paint it Black

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainment

<tq7inj$4j6$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5473&group=rec.games.trivia#5473

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 01:41:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 01:41 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - History

> * Long-Serving Provincial Premiers

> 3. George Henry Murray was premier for 27 years between 1896 and
> 1923 -- a Canadian record. Which province did Mr. Murray govern?

Nova Scotia; Prince Edward Island

> * Kings Ruling England who were Also Brothers

> 4. Richard III.

Edward IV

> 5. William II.

Henry I

> 6. William IV.

George IV

> * American Revolution

> 7. Revolutionary War General John Stark is credited with coining
> what phrase that became the motto of the state of New Hampshire?

Live free or die

> 8. What was the name given to the militiamen commanded by Ethan
> Allen?

Green Mountain Boys

> 9. Which British general surrendered at Yorktown, leading to the
> British surrender in the war?

Burgoyne

> * Political Firsts

> 10. Who was the first Secretary-General of the United Nations?
> He served from 1946 to 1953.

Trygve Lie

> 11. In the government of England (again, including Great Britain and
> the UK), who is considered to have been the first Prime Minister,
> although that name for his position was not invented until later?

Stafford

> 12. Who was the first Prime Minister of Israel?

David Ben-Gurion

> * Prisons

> 13. In 1971, a riot in what prison caused more casualties between
> Americans than """any engagement since the Civil War"""?

Attica

> 14. Name the prison where Adolf Hitler was incarcerated in 1924,
> and wrote "Mein Kampf".

Spandau

> 15. What was the name of the largest Confederate prison camp
> (in Americus, GA)?

Andersonville

> ** Final, Round 3 - Entertainment

> * Songs from Musicals

> 1. In what musical would you find "Ya Got Trouble", "76 Trombones",
> and "Till There Was You"?

The Music Man

> 2. In what musical would you find "Some Enchanted Evening",
> "There Is Nothing Like A Dame", and "I'm Going to Wash That
> Man Right Outta My Hair"?

South Pacific

> 3. In what musical would you find "The Rain in Spain", "I Could
> Have Danced All Night", and "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face"?

Singin' in the Rain

> * The Rolling Stones

> 4. The Rolling Stones' first single was a song titled "Come On",
> written by Chuck Berry. In what year was it released?

1966; 1967

> * Acting Siblings

> 10. Sister of movie actor Warren Beatty.

Shirley Maclaine

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainment

<tqc2ub$1lgum$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5474&group=rec.games.trivia#5474

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:42:19 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 18:42 UTC

On 1/16/23 21:59, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Long-Serving Provincial Premiers
>
> Mackenzie King was Prime Minister of Canada for an impressive
> 22 years; but some Canadian provincial premiers have held office
> for an even longer time.
>
> 1. He was premier of Ontario for 24 years, longer than anyone else.
> Who was he?
>
> 2. He was premier of Alberta for 25 years, longer than anyone else.
> Who was he?
>
> 3. George Henry Murray was premier for 27 years between 1896 and
> 1923 -- a Canadian record. Which province did Mr. Murray govern?
>

> * Kings Ruling England who were Also Brothers
>
> Given the name of an English king (including kings of Great Britain
> or the UK), name his brother who also ruled England. For example,
> if we mentioned George VI, you would say Edward VIII.
>
> 4. Richard III.

John

> 5. William II.

Henry I

> 6. William IV.

George VI

> * American Revolution
>
> 7. Revolutionary War General John Stark is credited with coining
> what phrase that became the motto of the state of New Hampshire?

Live Free or Die

> 8. What was the name given to the militiamen commanded by Ethan
> Allen?

Green Mountain Men

> 9. Which British general surrendered at Yorktown, leading to the
> British surrender in the war?

Cornwallis

> * Political Firsts
>
> 10. Who was the first Secretary-General of the United Nations?
> He served from 1946 to 1953.
>
> 11. In the government of England (again, including Great Britain and
> the UK), who is considered to have been the first Prime Minister,
> although that name for his position was not invented until later?

Walpole

> 12. Who was the first Prime Minister of Israel?
>

> * Prisons
>
> 13. In 1971, a riot in what prison caused more casualties between
> Americans than """any engagement since the Civil War"""?
>
> 14. Name the prison where Adolf Hitler was incarcerated in 1924,
> and wrote "Mein Kampf".
>
> 15. What was the name of the largest Confederate prison camp
> (in Americus, GA)?
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - Entertainment
>
> * Songs from Musicals
>
> 1. In what musical would you find "Ya Got Trouble", "76 Trombones",
> and "Till There Was You"?

The Music Man

> 2. In what musical would you find "Some Enchanted Evening",
> "There Is Nothing Like A Dame", and "I'm Going to Wash That
> Man Right Outta My Hair"?

South Pacific

> 3. In what musical would you find "The Rain in Spain", "I Could
> Have Danced All Night", and "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face"?

My Fair Lady

> * The Rolling Stones
>
> 4. The Rolling Stones' first single was a song titled "Come On",
> written by Chuck Berry. In what year was it released?

1966

> 5. Name the Stones' first #1 hit in the US, released 2 years later.

Jumping Jack Flash

> 6. Name the artist who designed the Stones' lips-and-tongue logo
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/lips.jpg>.
>

> * Actors Who Died in the Middle of a TV Series
>
> 7. He played the role of barkeep Ernie Pantusso, a former
> minor-league manager and an ex-ballplayer who had been beaned
> several times, explaining his deteriorated mental status.
> He died during the third season of "Cheers". Name the actor.
>
> 8. Best known for playing the laid-back, but very wry, Detective
> Sergeant Nick Yemana on "Barney Miller". He died during the
> show's fifth season. Name the actor.
>
> 9. This American character actor had a recurring role as desk
> sergeant Phil Esterhaus on "Hill Street Blues", for which he
> won two Best Supporting Actor Emmy Awards (in 1981 and 1982).
> He died during the shooting of the show's fourth season.
> Name the actor.
>

> * Acting Siblings
>
> In each case, name the indicated relative who is (or was)
> also an actor or actress.
>
> 10. Sister of movie actor Warren Beatty.
> 11. Sister of movie actress Olivia de Havilland.
> 12. Brother of "Mission: Impossible" star Peter Graves.
>

> * Canadian Actors
>
> In each case, name the actor.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act13.png
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act14.jpg
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act15.jpg

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainment

<tqc396$1ll63$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5475&group=rec.games.trivia#5475

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:48:06 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 18:48 UTC

On 1/16/23 21:59, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Long-Serving Provincial Premiers
>
> Mackenzie King was Prime Minister of Canada for an impressive
> 22 years; but some Canadian provincial premiers have held office
> for an even longer time.
>
> 1. He was premier of Ontario for 24 years, longer than anyone else.
> Who was he?
>
> 2. He was premier of Alberta for 25 years, longer than anyone else.
> Who was he?
>
> 3. George Henry Murray was premier for 27 years between 1896 and
> 1923 -- a Canadian record. Which province did Mr. Murray govern?
>

> * Kings Ruling England who were Also Brothers
>
> Given the name of an English king (including kings of Great Britain
> or the UK), name his brother who also ruled England. For example,
> if we mentioned George VI, you would say Edward VIII.
>
> 4. Richard III.

John

> 5. William II.

Henry I

> 6. William IV.

George VI

> * American Revolution
>
> 7. Revolutionary War General John Stark is credited with coining
> what phrase that became the motto of the state of New Hampshire?

Live Free or Die

> 8. What was the name given to the militiamen commanded by Ethan
> Allen?

Green Mountain Men

> 9. Which British general surrendered at Yorktown, leading to the
> British surrender in the war?

Cornwallis

> * Political Firsts
>
> 10. Who was the first Secretary-General of the United Nations?
> He served from 1946 to 1953.
>
> 11. In the government of England (again, including Great Britain and
> the UK), who is considered to have been the first Prime Minister,
> although that name for his position was not invented until later?

Walpole

> 12. Who was the first Prime Minister of Israel?
>

> * Prisons
>
> 13. In 1971, a riot in what prison caused more casualties between
> Americans than """any engagement since the Civil War"""?
>
> 14. Name the prison where Adolf Hitler was incarcerated in 1924,
> and wrote "Mein Kampf".
>
> 15. What was the name of the largest Confederate prison camp
> (in Americus, GA)?
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - Entertainment
>
> * Songs from Musicals
>
> 1. In what musical would you find "Ya Got Trouble", "76 Trombones",
> and "Till There Was You"?

The Music Man

> 2. In what musical would you find "Some Enchanted Evening",
> "There Is Nothing Like A Dame", and "I'm Going to Wash That
> Man Right Outta My Hair"?

South Pacific

> 3. In what musical would you find "The Rain in Spain", "I Could
> Have Danced All Night", and "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face"?

My Fair Lady

> * The Rolling Stones
>
> 4. The Rolling Stones' first single was a song titled "Come On",
> written by Chuck Berry. In what year was it released?

1966

> 5. Name the Stones' first #1 hit in the US, released 2 years later.

Jumping Jack Flash

> 6. Name the artist who designed the Stones' lips-and-tongue logo
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/lips.jpg>.
>

> * Actors Who Died in the Middle of a TV Series
>
> 7. He played the role of barkeep Ernie Pantusso, a former
> minor-league manager and an ex-ballplayer who had been beaned
> several times, explaining his deteriorated mental status.
> He died during the third season of "Cheers". Name the actor.
>
> 8. Best known for playing the laid-back, but very wry, Detective
> Sergeant Nick Yemana on "Barney Miller". He died during the
> show's fifth season. Name the actor.
>
> 9. This American character actor had a recurring role as desk
> sergeant Phil Esterhaus on "Hill Street Blues", for which he
> won two Best Supporting Actor Emmy Awards (in 1981 and 1982).
> He died during the shooting of the show's fourth season.
> Name the actor.
>

> * Acting Siblings
>
> In each case, name the indicated relative who is (or was)
> also an actor or actress.
>
> 10. Sister of movie actor Warren Beatty.
> 11. Sister of movie actress Olivia de Havilland.
> 12. Brother of "Mission: Impossible" star Peter Graves.
>

> * Canadian Actors
>
> In each case, name the actor.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act13.png
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act14.jpg
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act15.jpg

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainment

<tqfiji$2atkq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5476&group=rec.games.trivia#5476

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 18:28:02 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 02:28 UTC

On 1/19/23 10:48, Dan Tilque wrote:
> On 1/16/23 21:59, Mark Brader wrote:

Just noticed my double post. Not sure how that happened, although I
suspect that my computer freezing up and having to hard reboot in the
middle of replying probably had something to do with it. Looks like the
posts are the same, so no problem.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainment

<2eOdnTArTukpxVb-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5477&group=rec.games.trivia#5477

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 03:15:00 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 03:15 UTC

Dan Tilque:
> Just noticed my double post. Not sure how that happened...

Just noticed I'm a day late again. I'm sure that happened
through carelessness.
--
Mark Brader "I wasn't the one who misplaced the entire
Toronto Deltivid asteroid belt!"

RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: history, entertainment

<x6adnQw0g9DXxFb-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5478&group=rec.games.trivia#5478

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: history, entertainment
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 03:17:30 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 03:17 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-22,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 2 - History

> * Long-Serving Provincial Premiers

> Mackenzie King was Prime Minister of Canada for an impressive
> 22 years; but some Canadian provincial premiers have held office
> for an even longer time.

> 1. He was premier of Ontario for 24 years, longer than anyone else.
> Who was he?

Oliver Mowat (Reform/Liberal, premier 1872-96).

> 2. He was premier of Alberta for 25 years, longer than anyone else.
> Who was he?

Ernest Manning (Social Credit, premier 1943-68).

> 3. George Henry Murray was premier for 27 years between 1896 and
> 1923 -- a Canadian record. Which province did Mr. Murray govern?

Nova Scotia (Liberal). 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Joshua.

> * Kings Ruling England who were Also Brothers

> Given the name of an English king (including kings of Great Britain
> or the UK), name his brother who also ruled England. For example,
> if we mentioned George VI, you would say Edward VIII.

> 4. Richard III.

Edward IV. 4 for Erland and Dan Blum.

> 5. William II.

Henry I. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. William IV.

George IV. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> * American Revolution

> 7. Revolutionary War General John Stark is credited with coining
> what phrase that became the motto of the state of New Hampshire?

"Live free or die" <http://www.bsd.org/images/smallplate.gif>.
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. What was the name given to the militiamen commanded by Ethan
> Allen?

The Green Mountain Boys. (In Vermont.) "Green Mountain" was
sufficient. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Which British general surrendered at Yorktown, leading to the
> British surrender in the war?

Lord Cornwallis. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> * Political Firsts

> 10. Who was the first Secretary-General of the United Nations?
> He served from 1946 to 1953.

Trygve Lie ["Lee"]. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 11. In the government of England (again, including Great Britain and
> the UK), who is considered to have been the first Prime Minister,
> although that name for his position was not invented until later?

Sir Robert Walpole (PM 1721-42). 4 for Dan Tilque.

See: http://www.gov.uk/government/history/past-prime-ministers/robert-walpole

> 12. Who was the first Prime Minister of Israel?

David Ben-Gurion (accepting David GrĂ¼n, his original name, or Green,
its English translation; PM 1948-54 and again 1955-63). 4 for Joshua,
Erland, and Dan Blum.

> * Prisons

> 13. In 1971, a riot in what prison caused more casualties between
> Americans than """any engagement since the Civil War"""?

Attica (NY). (43 dead, 91 injured. But the 2017 mass shooting
at a Las Vegas music festival surpassed that, with 60 dead and
867 injured.) 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 14. Name the prison where Adolf Hitler was incarcerated in 1924,
> and wrote "Mein Kampf".

Landsberg (near Munich).

> 15. What was the name of the largest Confederate prison camp
> (in Americus, GA)?

Andersonville or Camp Sumter. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> ** Final, Round 3 - Entertainment

> * Songs from Musicals

> 1. In what musical would you find "Ya Got Trouble", "76 Trombones",
> and "Till There Was You"?

"The Music Man". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. In what musical would you find "Some Enchanted Evening",
> "There Is Nothing Like A Dame", and "I'm Going to Wash That
> Man Right Outta My Hair"?

"South Pacific". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. In what musical would you find "The Rain in Spain", "I Could
> Have Danced All Night", and "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face"?

"My Fair Lady". 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> * The Rolling Stones

> 4. The Rolling Stones' first single was a song titled "Come On",
> written by Chuck Berry. In what year was it released?

1963. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Name the Stones' first #1 hit in the US, released 2 years later.

"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction". 4 for Joshua.

> 6. Name the artist who designed the Stones' lips-and-tongue logo
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/lips.jpg>.

John Pasche.

> * Actors Who Died in the Middle of a TV Series

> 7. He played the role of barkeep Ernie Pantusso, a former
> minor-league manager and an ex-ballplayer who had been beaned
> several times, explaining his deteriorated mental status.
> He died during the third season of "Cheers". Name the actor.

Nicholas Colasanto. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. Best known for playing the laid-back, but very wry, Detective
> Sergeant Nick Yemana on "Barney Miller". He died during the
> show's fifth season. Name the actor.

Jack Soo. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. This American character actor had a recurring role as desk
> sergeant Phil Esterhaus on "Hill Street Blues", for which he
> won two Best Supporting Actor Emmy Awards (in 1981 and 1982).
> He died during the shooting of the show's fourth season.
> Name the actor.

Michael Conrad.

> * Acting Siblings

> In each case, name the indicated relative who is (or was)
> also an actor or actress.

> 10. Sister of movie actor Warren Beatty.

Shirley MacLaine. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 11. Sister of movie actress Olivia de Havilland.

Joan Fontaine. 4 for Joshua.

> 12. Brother of "Mission: Impossible" star Peter Graves.

James Arness. 4 for Joshua.

> * Canadian Actors

> In each case, name the actor.

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act13.png

R.H. Thomson.

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act14.jpg

Eric Peterson.

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act15.jpg

Brent Carver.

I didn't know any of them either.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 38 40 78
Dan Blum 39 12 51
Dan Tilque 20 12 32
Erland Sommarskog 20 4 24

--
Mark Brader | "...no politician has ever been indicted for forging
Toronto | an unnecessary and insufficient response to a tragedy."

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainment

<tqfpgb$cvu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5480&group=rec.games.trivia#5480

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 22:25:48 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 04:25 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-22,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>
> When the Final of this season was played, I was out of town and
> therefore unable to post the current-events round while it was
> reasonably current; and therefore I don't have the questions to be
> able to select and repost the usual excerpt from it now. Sorry.
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Long-Serving Provincial Premiers
>
> Mackenzie King was Prime Minister of Canada for an impressive
> 22 years; but some Canadian provincial premiers have held office
> for an even longer time.
>
> 1. He was premier of Ontario for 24 years, longer than anyone else.
> Who was he?
>
> 2. He was premier of Alberta for 25 years, longer than anyone else.
> Who was he?
>
> 3. George Henry Murray was premier for 27 years between 1896 and
> 1923 -- a Canadian record. Which province did Mr. Murray govern?
>

> * Kings Ruling England who were Also Brothers
>
> Given the name of an English king (including kings of Great Britain
> or the UK), name his brother who also ruled England. For example,
> if we mentioned George VI, you would say Edward VIII.
>
> 4. Richard III.
> 5. William II.
> 6. William IV.
>

> * American Revolution
>
> 7. Revolutionary War General John Stark is credited with coining
> what phrase that became the motto of the state of New Hampshire?

Live Free or Die

> 8. What was the name given to the militiamen commanded by Ethan
> Allen?

Green Mountain Boys

> 9. Which British general surrendered at Yorktown, leading to the
> British surrender in the war?

Cornwallis

> * Political Firsts
>
> 10. Who was the first Secretary-General of the United Nations?
> He served from 1946 to 1953.

Hammarskjold

> 11. In the government of England (again, including Great Britain and
> the UK), who is considered to have been the first Prime Minister,
> although that name for his position was not invented until later?
>
> 12. Who was the first Prime Minister of Israel?

Ben Gurion

> * Prisons
>
> 13. In 1971, a riot in what prison caused more casualties between
> Americans than """any engagement since the Civil War"""?

Attica

> 14. Name the prison where Adolf Hitler was incarcerated in 1924,
> and wrote "Mein Kampf".
>
> 15. What was the name of the largest Confederate prison camp
> (in Americus, GA)?

Andersonville

> ** Final, Round 3 - Entertainment
>
> * Songs from Musicals
>
> 1. In what musical would you find "Ya Got Trouble", "76 Trombones",
> and "Till There Was You"?

The Music Man

> 2. In what musical would you find "Some Enchanted Evening",
> "There Is Nothing Like A Dame", and "I'm Going to Wash That
> Man Right Outta My Hair"?

South Pacific

> 3. In what musical would you find "The Rain in Spain", "I Could
> Have Danced All Night", and "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face"?

My Fair Lady

> * The Rolling Stones
>
> 4. The Rolling Stones' first single was a song titled "Come On",
> written by Chuck Berry. In what year was it released?

1962

> 5. Name the Stones' first #1 hit in the US, released 2 years later.

I Can't Get No Satisfaction

> 6. Name the artist who designed the Stones' lips-and-tongue logo
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/lips.jpg>.

Warhol

> * Actors Who Died in the Middle of a TV Series
>
> 7. He played the role of barkeep Ernie Pantusso, a former
> minor-league manager and an ex-ballplayer who had been beaned
> several times, explaining his deteriorated mental status.
> He died during the third season of "Cheers". Name the actor.
>
> 8. Best known for playing the laid-back, but very wry, Detective
> Sergeant Nick Yemana on "Barney Miller". He died during the
> show's fifth season. Name the actor.

Soo

> 9. This American character actor had a recurring role as desk
> sergeant Phil Esterhaus on "Hill Street Blues", for which he
> won two Best Supporting Actor Emmy Awards (in 1981 and 1982).
> He died during the shooting of the show's fourth season.
> Name the actor.
>

> * Acting Siblings
>
> In each case, name the indicated relative who is (or was)
> also an actor or actress.
>
> 10. Sister of movie actor Warren Beatty.

Shirley McLaine

> 11. Sister of movie actress Olivia de Havilland.

Joan Fontaine

> 12. Brother of "Mission: Impossible" star Peter Graves.

James Arness

> * Canadian Actors
>
> In each case, name the actor.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act13.png
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act14.jpg
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/act15.jpg

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 2-3: history, entertainment

<g-ydnbvo-585Klb-nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5482&group=rec.games.trivia#5482

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 10:00:04 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 10:00 UTC

If Pete Gayde had posted his answers on time -- or if I'd been
a couple more hours late in scoring -- he would have scored
24 points on Round 2 and 32 points on Round 3.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "History will be kind to me, for I intend
msb@vex.net to write it." -- Churchill