The greatest of faults is to be conscious of none.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10 answers: science, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundDan Blum
+- RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundDan Tilque
+- RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
`- RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10 answers: science, challenge roundMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<AqSdneFzyb6Lq0n-nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5496&group=rec.games.trivia#5496

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 20:37:42 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 20:37 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-22,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 9 - Science

* Canada and the Nobel Prizes in Science

1. In 1923, the Nobel Prize was awarded jointly to Frederick
Banting and his supervisor. Who was Banting's supervisor?

2. Which University of Toronto professor shared the Nobel Prize
for Chemistry in 1986?

3. Considered the father of nuclear physics, this New-Zealand-born
scientist earned his Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1908, based
on experiments on radioactivity done at McGill University
in Montreal. Who was he?

* The Planets

4. Of the 8 official planets, one rotates "sideways" with its poles
almost in its orbital plane. Ignore that one. Of the other 7,
one rotates "backwards" or retrograde, so that the sun would
rise in the west and set in the east. Which planet is this?

5. All 27 of this planet's moons are named after characters
either from Shakespeare or from the poem "Rape of the Lock"
by Alexander Pope. What is this name of this literary planet?

6. What is the least dense planet, with an average density of just
69% of water? This planet would actually float on water if
only you could find a large enough ocean.

* Physics - Eponymous SI Units

Many of the International System of Units (SI) are eponymous.
The answers of all parts of this triple are also names of people.
(And none of them includes a scaling prefix such as mega-.)

7. What is the eponymous name for the SI unit of radioactive decay,
which is measured in decays per second?

8. What is the eponymous SI unit of energy or work equal to 1
newton meter, or 1 kg m²/s²?

9. What is the SI unit of pressure, which is equal to 1 newton
per square meter, or 1 kg/m s²?

* Insects

10. The Coleoptera are the largest order of insects, containing
about 50% of all known insect species. What is the common
English term for members of the order of Coleoptera?

11. The insect order of Lepidoptera includes what insects?

12. Insects are a class within a larger phylum that also includes
crustaceans, arachnids, millipedes, and centipedes. What phylum
is this?

* Acronyms

13. "RA" in the acronym RADAR means RAdio. What three words are
represented by the "DAR" part of the acronym?

14. In the acronym LASER, what two words are represented by the
letters "LA"?

15. What two words are represented by the last three letters of
the acronym SETI?

** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. US Assasinations and Attempts

A1. Who attempted to assassinate US presidential candidate
George Wallace in 1972?

A2. Who assassinated San Francisco mayor George Moscone and
supervisor Harvey Milk in 1978?

A3. In 1975, US president Gerald Ford survived two different
assassination attempts. Name *either one* of the failed
assassins.

* B. Seven Summits

The Seven Summits are the highest mountains on each of the
7 continents. We name the continent, you name the mountain.
One of them depends on exactly how the continent is defined;
use the highest of the candidate mountains.

B1. Europe.
B2. South America.
B3. Antarctica.

* C. Science: Greek Alphabet

The use of Greek letters has pervaded almost every field of science,
technology, and mathematics.

C1. This letter, the 8th in the Greek alphabet, is very commonly
used as a symbol for a plane angle in trigonometry and
geometry. Which is it?

C2. This letter, the 11th in the Greek alphabet, is used to
denote the wavelength of a wave in physics. It also lends
its name to a phage that inhabits the bacterium E. coli.
Which is it?

C3. In number theory, this letter is used to denote the
Möbius function. It is also the symbol used to represent
the coefficient of friction between two surfaces, as well
as permeability in electromagnetism. The 12th in the Greek
alphabet, which letter is it?

* D. Sports: Championship Droughts

These three questions are about teams in professional sports leagues
that have had long "droughts", or periods without the team winning
a championship. In each case name the team; where necessary, be
sufficiently specific to disambiguate from other current teams.

D1. This NHL team had a drought of 54 years between Stanley
Cup wins in 1940 and 1994.

D2. This Major League Baseball team had a drought of 86 years
between World Series wins in 1918 and 2004.

D3. In the CFL, """the current team with the longest active
drought last won the Grey Cup in 1990""". Name them.

* E. Literary Titles

When a literary work is named after its main character, sometimes
the title is a description, not a name. For example, in John
Fowles's novel, Sarah Woodruff is "The French Lieutenant's Woman".
Here are three such instances.

E1. In "A Man for All Seasons" (play by Robert Bolt, movie
adaptation directed by Fred Zinnemann), name the title
character.

E2. In "The Merchant of Venice" (Shakespeare), name the title
character.

E3. In what novel by D.H. Lawrence is Oliver Mellors the title
character?

* F. Epic Directors

Name the (credited) director of each of the following movie epics.

F1. "Ben-Hur".
F2. "Gone with the Wind".
F3. "Lawrence of Arabia".

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You are becoming far too reasonable.
msb@vex.net | I worry about you." --Tony Cooper

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<c8e7ed66-b73e-4e1c-9920-bf71ea5215ffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5497&group=rec.games.trivia#5497

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:31:28 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 01:31 UTC

On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 2:37:48 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Science
>
> * Canada and the Nobel Prizes in Science
>
> 1. In 1923, the Nobel Prize was awarded jointly to Frederick
> Banting and his supervisor. Who was Banting's supervisor?

Best
> 3. Considered the father of nuclear physics, this New-Zealand-born
> scientist earned his Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1908, based
> on experiments on radioactivity done at McGill University
> in Montreal. Who was he?

Rutherford
> * The Planets
>
> 4. Of the 8 official planets, one rotates "sideways" with its poles
> almost in its orbital plane. Ignore that one. Of the other 7,
> one rotates "backwards" or retrograde, so that the sun would
> rise in the west and set in the east. Which planet is this?

Venus
> 5. All 27 of this planet's moons are named after characters
> either from Shakespeare or from the poem "Rape of the Lock"
> by Alexander Pope. What is this name of this literary planet?

Uranus

> 6. What is the least dense planet, with an average density of just
> 69% of water? This planet would actually float on water if
> only you could find a large enough ocean.

Saturn; Jupiter

> * Physics - Eponymous SI Units
>
> Many of the International System of Units (SI) are eponymous.
> The answers of all parts of this triple are also names of people.
> (And none of them includes a scaling prefix such as mega-.)
>
> 7. What is the eponymous name for the SI unit of radioactive decay,
> which is measured in decays per second?

becquerel; curie

> 8. What is the eponymous SI unit of energy or work equal to 1
> newton meter, or 1 kg m²/s²?

joule

> 9. What is the SI unit of pressure, which is equal to 1 newton
> per square meter, or 1 kg/m s²?

torr

> * Insects
>
> 10. The Coleoptera are the largest order of insects, containing
> about 50% of all known insect species. What is the common
> English term for members of the order of Coleoptera?

beetles

> 11. The insect order of Lepidoptera includes what insects?

butterflies; moths

> 12. Insects are a class within a larger phylum that also includes
> crustaceans, arachnids, millipedes, and centipedes. What phylum
> is this?

Arthropoda

> * Acronyms
>
> 13. "RA" in the acronym RADAR means RAdio. What three words are
> represented by the "DAR" part of the acronym?

detection and ranging

> 14. In the acronym LASER, what two words are represented by the
> letters "LA"?

light amplification

> 15. What two words are represented by the last three letters of
> the acronym SETI?

extra-terrestrial intelligence

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. US Assasinations and Attempts
>
> A1. Who attempted to assassinate US presidential candidate
> George Wallace in 1972?

Bremer

> A2. Who assassinated San Francisco mayor George Moscone and
> supervisor Harvey Milk in 1978?

White

> A3. In 1975, US president Gerald Ford survived two different
> assassination attempts. Name *either one* of the failed
> assassins.

Fromme

> * B. Seven Summits
>
> The Seven Summits are the highest mountains on each of the
> 7 continents. We name the continent, you name the mountain.
> One of them depends on exactly how the continent is defined;
> use the highest of the candidate mountains.
>
> B1. Europe.

Mont Blanc
> B2. South America.

Aconcagua

> B3. Antarctica.

Mount Elbrus

> * C. Science: Greek Alphabet
>
> The use of Greek letters has pervaded almost every field of science,
> technology, and mathematics.
>
> C1. This letter, the 8th in the Greek alphabet, is very commonly
> used as a symbol for a plane angle in trigonometry and
> geometry. Which is it?

theta

> C2. This letter, the 11th in the Greek alphabet, is used to
> denote the wavelength of a wave in physics. It also lends
> its name to a phage that inhabits the bacterium E. coli.
> Which is it?

lambda

> C3. In number theory, this letter is used to denote the
> Möbius function. It is also the symbol used to represent
> the coefficient of friction between two surfaces, as well
> as permeability in electromagnetism. The 12th in the Greek
> alphabet, which letter is it?

mu

> * D. Sports: Championship Droughts
>
> These three questions are about teams in professional sports leagues
> that have had long "droughts", or periods without the team winning
> a championship. In each case name the team; where necessary, be
> sufficiently specific to disambiguate from other current teams.
>
> D1. This NHL team had a drought of 54 years between Stanley
> Cup wins in 1940 and 1994.

New York Rangers

> D2. This Major League Baseball team had a drought of 86 years
> between World Series wins in 1918 and 2004.

Boston Red Sox

> D3. In the CFL, """the current team with the longest active
> drought last won the Grey Cup in 1990""". Name them.

B.C. Lions; Toronto Argonauts

> * E. Literary Titles
>
> When a literary work is named after its main character, sometimes
> the title is a description, not a name. For example, in John
> Fowles's novel, Sarah Woodruff is "The French Lieutenant's Woman".
> Here are three such instances.
>
> E1. In "A Man for All Seasons" (play by Robert Bolt, movie
> adaptation directed by Fred Zinnemann), name the title
> character.

Thomas More

> E2. In "The Merchant of Venice" (Shakespeare), name the title
> character.

Bassanio; Antonio

> E3. In what novel by D.H. Lawrence is Oliver Mellors the title
> character?

"Lady Chatterley's Lover"

> * F. Epic Directors
>
> Name the (credited) director of each of the following movie epics.
>
> F1. "Ben-Hur".

Wyler

> F2. "Gone with the Wind".

Fleming
> F3. "Lawrence of Arabia".

Lean

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<tr2753$sdb$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5498&group=rec.games.trivia#5498

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 04:09:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 04:09 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Science

> * Canada and the Nobel Prizes in Science

> 3. Considered the father of nuclear physics, this New-Zealand-born
> scientist earned his Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1908, based
> on experiments on radioactivity done at McGill University
> in Montreal. Who was he?

Ernest Rutherford

> * The Planets

> 4. Of the 8 official planets, one rotates "sideways" with its poles
> almost in its orbital plane. Ignore that one. Of the other 7,
> one rotates "backwards" or retrograde, so that the sun would
> rise in the west and set in the east. Which planet is this?

Venus

> 5. All 27 of this planet's moons are named after characters
> either from Shakespeare or from the poem "Rape of the Lock"
> by Alexander Pope. What is this name of this literary planet?

Uranus

> 6. What is the least dense planet, with an average density of just
> 69% of water? This planet would actually float on water if
> only you could find a large enough ocean.

Saturn

> * Physics - Eponymous SI Units

> 7. What is the eponymous name for the SI unit of radioactive decay,
> which is measured in decays per second?

curie

> 8. What is the eponymous SI unit of energy or work equal to 1
> newton meter, or 1 kg m?/s??

joule

> 9. What is the SI unit of pressure, which is equal to 1 newton
> per square meter, or 1 kg/m s??

pascal

> * Insects

> 10. The Coleoptera are the largest order of insects, containing
> about 50% of all known insect species. What is the common
> English term for members of the order of Coleoptera?

beetle

> 11. The insect order of Lepidoptera includes what insects?

butterflies and moths

> 12. Insects are a class within a larger phylum that also includes
> crustaceans, arachnids, millipedes, and centipedes. What phylum
> is this?

Arthropoda

> * Acronyms

> 13. "RA" in the acronym RADAR means RAdio. What three words are
> represented by the "DAR" part of the acronym?

direction and ranging

> 14. In the acronym LASER, what two words are represented by the
> letters "LA"?

light amplification

> 15. What two words are represented by the last three letters of
> the acronym SETI?

extra-terrestrial intelligence

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. US Assasinations and Attempts

> A2. Who assassinated San Francisco mayor George Moscone and
> supervisor Harvey Milk in 1978?

White

> A3. In 1975, US president Gerald Ford survived two different
> assassination attempts. Name *either one* of the failed
> assassins.

Fromme

> * B. Seven Summits

> B1. Europe.

Mt. Erebus

> B2. South America.

Mt. Aconagua

> * C. Science: Greek Alphabet

> C1. This letter, the 8th in the Greek alphabet, is very commonly
> used as a symbol for a plane angle in trigonometry and
> geometry. Which is it?

theta

> C2. This letter, the 11th in the Greek alphabet, is used to
> denote the wavelength of a wave in physics. It also lends
> its name to a phage that inhabits the bacterium E. coli.
> Which is it?

lambda

> C3. In number theory, this letter is used to denote the
> M?bius function. It is also the symbol used to represent
> the coefficient of friction between two surfaces, as well
> as permeability in electromagnetism. The 12th in the Greek
> alphabet, which letter is it?

mu

> * D. Sports: Championship Droughts

> D1. This NHL team had a drought of 54 years between Stanley
> Cup wins in 1940 and 1994.

Detroit Red Wings; Philadelphia Flyers

> D2. This Major League Baseball team had a drought of 86 years
> between World Series wins in 1918 and 2004.

Boston Red Sox

> D3. In the CFL, """the current team with the longest active
> drought last won the Grey Cup in 1990""". Name them.

Toronto Argonauts; Ottawa Rough Riders

> * E. Literary Titles

> E1. In "A Man for All Seasons" (play by Robert Bolt, movie
> adaptation directed by Fred Zinnemann), name the title
> character.

Sir Thomas More

> E2. In "The Merchant of Venice" (Shakespeare), name the title
> character.

Antonio

> E3. In what novel by D.H. Lawrence is Oliver Mellors the title
> character?

Lady Chatterley's Lover

> * F. Epic Directors

> F3. "Lawrence of Arabia".

David Lean

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<tr2pti$25ha0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5499&group=rec.games.trivia#5499

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 01:29:22 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 09:29 UTC

On 1/27/23 12:37, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Science
>
> * Canada and the Nobel Prizes in Science
>
> 1. In 1923, the Nobel Prize was awarded jointly to Frederick
> Banting and his supervisor. Who was Banting's supervisor?
>
> 2. Which University of Toronto professor shared the Nobel Prize
> for Chemistry in 1986?
>
> 3. Considered the father of nuclear physics, this New-Zealand-born
> scientist earned his Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1908, based
> on experiments on radioactivity done at McGill University
> in Montreal. Who was he?

Rutherford

> * The Planets
>
> 4. Of the 8 official planets, one rotates "sideways" with its poles
> almost in its orbital plane. Ignore that one. Of the other 7,
> one rotates "backwards" or retrograde, so that the sun would
> rise in the west and set in the east. Which planet is this?

Venus

> 5. All 27 of this planet's moons are named after characters
> either from Shakespeare or from the poem "Rape of the Lock"
> by Alexander Pope. What is this name of this literary planet?

Uranus

> 6. What is the least dense planet, with an average density of just
> 69% of water? This planet would actually float on water if
> only you could find a large enough ocean.

Saturn

> * Physics - Eponymous SI Units
>
> Many of the International System of Units (SI) are eponymous.
> The answers of all parts of this triple are also names of people.
> (And none of them includes a scaling prefix such as mega-.)
>
> 7. What is the eponymous name for the SI unit of radioactive decay,
> which is measured in decays per second?

curie

> 8. What is the eponymous SI unit of energy or work equal to 1
> newton meter, or 1 kg m²/s²?

watt

> 9. What is the SI unit of pressure, which is equal to 1 newton
> per square meter, or 1 kg/m s²?

pascal

> * Insects
>
> 10. The Coleoptera are the largest order of insects, containing
> about 50% of all known insect species. What is the common
> English term for members of the order of Coleoptera?

beetles

> 11. The insect order of Lepidoptera includes what insects?

butterflies and moths

> 12. Insects are a class within a larger phylum that also includes
> crustaceans, arachnids, millipedes, and centipedes. What phylum
> is this?

Arthropoda

> * Acronyms
>
> 13. "RA" in the acronym RADAR means RAdio. What three words are
> represented by the "DAR" part of the acronym?

detection and ranging

> 14. In the acronym LASER, what two words are represented by the
> letters "LA"?

light amplification

> 15. What two words are represented by the last three letters of
> the acronym SETI?

extraterrestrial intelligence

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. US Assasinations and Attempts
>
> A1. Who attempted to assassinate US presidential candidate
> George Wallace in 1972?
>
> A2. Who assassinated San Francisco mayor George Moscone and
> supervisor Harvey Milk in 1978?
>
> A3. In 1975, US president Gerald Ford survived two different
> assassination attempts. Name *either one* of the failed
> assassins.

Fromme

> * B. Seven Summits
>
> The Seven Summits are the highest mountains on each of the
> 7 continents. We name the continent, you name the mountain.
> One of them depends on exactly how the continent is defined;
> use the highest of the candidate mountains.
>
> B1. Europe.
> B2. South America.
> B3. Antarctica.

Erebus

> * C. Science: Greek Alphabet
>
> The use of Greek letters has pervaded almost every field of science,
> technology, and mathematics.
>
> C1. This letter, the 8th in the Greek alphabet, is very commonly
> used as a symbol for a plane angle in trigonometry and
> geometry. Which is it?

theta

> C2. This letter, the 11th in the Greek alphabet, is used to
> denote the wavelength of a wave in physics. It also lends
> its name to a phage that inhabits the bacterium E. coli.
> Which is it?

lambda

> C3. In number theory, this letter is used to denote the
> Möbius function. It is also the symbol used to represent
> the coefficient of friction between two surfaces, as well
> as permeability in electromagnetism. The 12th in the Greek
> alphabet, which letter is it?

mu

> * D. Sports: Championship Droughts
>
> These three questions are about teams in professional sports leagues
> that have had long "droughts", or periods without the team winning
> a championship. In each case name the team; where necessary, be
> sufficiently specific to disambiguate from other current teams.
>
> D1. This NHL team had a drought of 54 years between Stanley
> Cup wins in 1940 and 1994.
>
> D2. This Major League Baseball team had a drought of 86 years
> between World Series wins in 1918 and 2004.

Boston Red Sox

> D3. In the CFL, """the current team with the longest active
> drought last won the Grey Cup in 1990""". Name them.
>

> * E. Literary Titles
>
> When a literary work is named after its main character, sometimes
> the title is a description, not a name. For example, in John
> Fowles's novel, Sarah Woodruff is "The French Lieutenant's Woman".
> Here are three such instances.
>
> E1. In "A Man for All Seasons" (play by Robert Bolt, movie
> adaptation directed by Fred Zinnemann), name the title
> character.

Thomas More

> E2. In "The Merchant of Venice" (Shakespeare), name the title
> character.

Antonio

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<XnsAF9A70B90BDBEYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5500&group=rec.games.trivia#5500

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 11:04:51 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:04 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * The Planets
>
> 4. Of the 8 official planets, one rotates "sideways" with its poles
> almost in its orbital plane. Ignore that one. Of the other 7,
> one rotates "backwards" or retrograde, so that the sun would
> rise in the west and set in the east. Which planet is this?

Venus
> 5. All 27 of this planet's moons are named after characters
> either from Shakespeare or from the poem "Rape of the Lock"
> by Alexander Pope. What is this name of this literary planet?

Uranus
> 6. What is the least dense planet, with an average density of just
> 69% of water? This planet would actually float on water if
> only you could find a large enough ocean.

Jupiter

> * Physics - Eponymous SI Units
>
> Many of the International System of Units (SI) are eponymous.
> The answers of all parts of this triple are also names of people.
> (And none of them includes a scaling prefix such as mega-.)
>
> 7. What is the eponymous name for the SI unit of radioactive decay,
> which is measured in decays per second?

Becquerel
> 8. What is the eponymous SI unit of energy or work equal to 1
> newton meter, or 1 kg m²/s²?

Joule
> 9. What is the SI unit of pressure, which is equal to 1 newton
> per square meter, or 1 kg/m s²?

Pascal

> * Insects
>
> 10. The Coleoptera are the largest order of insects, containing
> about 50% of all known insect species. What is the common
> English term for members of the order of Coleoptera?

Fly
> 11. The insect order of Lepidoptera includes what insects?

Butterflies
> 14. In the acronym LASER, what two words are represented by the
> letters "LA"?

Light Amplitude
> 15. What two words are represented by the last three letters of
> the acronym SETI?

Extraterrestial Intelligence
> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> B1. Europe.

Elbrus

> B2. South America.

Aconcagua

> * C. Science: Greek Alphabet
>
> The use of Greek letters has pervaded almost every field of science,
> technology, and mathematics.
>
> C1. This letter, the 8th in the Greek alphabet, is very commonly
> used as a symbol for a plane angle in trigonometry and
> geometry. Which is it?

Theta
> C2. This letter, the 11th in the Greek alphabet, is used to
> denote the wavelength of a wave in physics. It also lends
> its name to a phage that inhabits the bacterium E. coli.
> Which is it?

Lmabda
> C3. In number theory, this letter is used to denote the
> Möbius function. It is also the symbol used to represent
> the coefficient of friction between two surfaces, as well
> as permeability in electromagnetism. The 12th in the Greek
> alphabet, which letter is it?

Mu
> * D. Sports: Championship Droughts
>
> D1. This NHL team had a drought of 54 years between Stanley
> Cup wins in 1940 and 1994.

New York Rangers

RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10 answers: science, challenge round

<T6mdna0Sj4URyEX-nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5502&group=rec.games.trivia#5502

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Final, Rounds 9-10 answers: science, challenge round
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 23:41:00 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 23:41 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-22,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

The Final game is complete and JOSHUA KREITZER is the winner.
Hearty congratulations!

> ** Final, Round 9 - Science

> * Canada and the Nobel Prizes in Science

> 1. In 1923, the Nobel Prize was awarded jointly to Frederick
> Banting and his supervisor. Who was Banting's supervisor?

John MacLeod.

The prize, of course, was for the discovery of insulin. Banting felt
his assistant Charles Best was the one he should have shared it with,
and gave Best half his prize money. In response, MacLeod gave half
of his prize money to James Collip, who he had brought in on the
project after the original discovery.

> 2. Which University of Toronto professor shared the Nobel Prize
> for Chemistry in 1986?

John Polanyi.

> 3. Considered the father of nuclear physics, this New-Zealand-born
> scientist earned his Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1908, based
> on experiments on radioactivity done at McGill University
> in Montreal. Who was he?

Ernest Rutherford. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> * The Planets

> 4. Of the 8 official planets, one rotates "sideways" with its poles
> almost in its orbital plane. Ignore that one. Of the other 7,
> one rotates "backwards" or retrograde, so that the sun would
> rise in the west and set in the east. Which planet is this?

Venus. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

The "sideways" one is Uranus.

> 5. All 27 of this planet's moons are named after characters
> either from Shakespeare or from the poem "Rape of the Lock"
> by Alexander Pope. What is this name of this literary planet?

Uranus. 4 for everyone.

> 6. What is the least dense planet, with an average density of just
> 69% of water? This planet would actually float on water if
> only you could find a large enough ocean.

Saturn. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

In 2013 Bruce Bowler quipped that it'd leave a ring around the
bathtub.

> * Physics - Eponymous SI Units

> Many of the International System of Units (SI) are eponymous.
> The answers of all parts of this triple are also names of people.
> (And none of them includes a scaling prefix such as mega-.)

> 7. What is the eponymous name for the SI unit of radioactive decay,
> which is measured in decays per second?

Becquerel. 4 for Erland. 3 for Joshua.

The curie is also an eponymous unit of radioactive decay, but not
part of the SI; it's equal to 37,000,000,000 becquerels.

> 8. What is the eponymous SI unit of energy or work equal to 1
> newton meter, or 1 kg m²/s²?

Joule. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Erland.

> 9. What is the SI unit of pressure, which is equal to 1 newton
> per square meter, or 1 kg/m s²?

Pascal. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

Reading those last two questions together in 2013, I realized that
a pascal is also equal to one joule per cubic meter -- 1 J/m³ -- and
therefore that pressure must be proportional to energy over volume.
Makes sense -- pressure is the result of energy stored in a system,
and in a fluid it's distributed over the whole volume -- but I'd
never thought about it that way before.

> * Insects

> 10. The Coleoptera are the largest order of insects, containing
> about 50% of all known insect species. What is the common
> English term for members of the order of Coleoptera?

Beetles. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 11. The insect order of Lepidoptera includes what insects?

Moths and butterflies (either word was sufficient). 4 for Joshua
(the hard way), Dan Blum (the hard way), Dan Tilque (the hard way),
and Erland.

> 12. Insects are a class within a larger phylum that also includes
> crustaceans, arachnids, millipedes, and centipedes. What phylum
> is this?

Arthropods (Arthropoda). The name was required, not a description.
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> * Acronyms

> 13. "RA" in the acronym RADAR means RAdio. What three words are
> represented by the "DAR" part of the acronym?

Detection And Ranging. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 14. In the acronym LASER, what two words are represented by the
> letters "LA"?

Light Amplification. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 15. What two words are represented by the last three letters of
> the acronym SETI?

ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence. 4 for everyone.

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. US Assasinations and Attempts

> A1. Who attempted to assassinate US presidential candidate
> George Wallace in 1972?

Arthur Herman Bremer. 4 for Joshua.

> A2. Who assassinated San Francisco mayor George Moscone and
> supervisor Harvey Milk in 1978?

Daniel James White. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> A3. In 1975, US president Gerald Ford survived two different
> assassination attempts. Name *either one* of the failed
> assassins.

Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, Sara Jane Moore. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> * B. Seven Summits

> The Seven Summits are the highest mountains on each of the
> 7 continents. We name the continent, you name the mountain.
> One of them depends on exactly how the continent is defined;
> use the highest of the candidate mountains.

> B1. Europe.

Elbrus. (Russia.) 4 for Erland.

As it's between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, some people
consider it to be in Asia; the other candidate for Europe is
Mont-Blanc, on the border of France and Italy.

> B2. South America.

Aconcagua (Argentina). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Erland.

> B3. Antarctica.

Vinson Massif. "Vinson" was sufficient.

Mt. Elbrus, as mentioned, is in or near Europe. Mt. Erebus is in
Antarctica. They are 9,600 miles or 15,500 km apart. Yet both in
2013 and again this time, Erebus was given as a wrong answer on B1,
and Elbrus on B3!

Since both are real high mountains, I did not consider the names
close enough to give an "almost correct" on Erebus.

> * C. Science: Greek Alphabet

> The use of Greek letters has pervaded almost every field of science,
> technology, and mathematics.

> C1. This letter, the 8th in the Greek alphabet, is very commonly
> used as a symbol for a plane angle in trigonometry and
> geometry. Which is it?

Theta. 4 for everyone.

> C2. This letter, the 11th in the Greek alphabet, is used to
> denote the wavelength of a wave in physics. It also lends
> its name to a phage that inhabits the bacterium E. coli.
> Which is it?

Lambda. 4 for everyone.

> C3. In number theory, this letter is used to denote the
> Möbius function. It is also the symbol used to represent
> the coefficient of friction between two surfaces, as well
> as permeability in electromagnetism. The 12th in the Greek
> alphabet, which letter is it?

Mu. 4 for everyone.

> * D. Sports: Championship Droughts

> These three questions are about teams in professional sports leagues
> that have had long "droughts", or periods without the team winning
> a championship. In each case name the team; where necessary, be
> sufficiently specific to disambiguate from other current teams.

> D1. This NHL team had a drought of 54 years between Stanley
> Cup wins in 1940 and 1994.

New York Rangers. ("Rangers" was required.) 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> D2. This Major League Baseball team had a drought of 86 years
> between World Series wins in 1918 and 2004.

Boston Red Sox. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> D3. In the CFL, """the current team with the longest active
> drought last won the Grey Cup in 1990""". Name them.

2013 answer: Winnipeg Blue Bombers, who ended the drought with two
consecutive wins in 2019 and 2021. 2023 answer: Hamilton Tiger-Cats,
who last won in 1999.

> * E. Literary Titles

> When a literary work is named after its main character, sometimes
> the title is a description, not a name. For example, in John
> Fowles's novel, Sarah Woodruff is "The French Lieutenant's Woman".
> Here are three such instances.

> E1. In "A Man for All Seasons" (play by Robert Bolt, movie
> adaptation directed by Fred Zinnemann), name the title
> character.

Sir Thomas More. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> E2. In "The Merchant of Venice" (Shakespeare), name the title
> character.

Antonio. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

Click here to read the complete article