Push where it gives and scratch where it itches.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogs

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogsMark Brader
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogsErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogsDan Tilque
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogsDan Blum
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogsJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogsRuth and Pete Gayde
`* RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers - colonies and dogsMark Brader
 `* RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers - colonies and dogsJoshua Kreitzer
  `- RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers - colonies and dogsMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogs

<5YqdnemRbujaYUH-nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5509&group=rec.games.trivia#5509

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogs
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2023 12:21:27 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 12:21 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 4 - Geography History - Colonies

1. In 1763 the Treaty of Paris ended the Seven Years War and
resulted in France ceding almost all its North American
territories to Great Britain. But what Caribbean island did
the French choose to retain, considering it more valuable
than Canada?

2. What was the first Caribbean country to gain its independence?

3. What was the last Central American country to gain its
independence, in 1981?

4. Upon its independence from the UK on 1966-10-04, Basutoland
was renamed to what?

By what names were the following countries known until gaining independence?

5. Ghana, independent from the UK in 1957.
6. Vanuatu, independent from joint UK/French rule in 1980.

From what countries did the following countries gain their independence?

7. Panama, in 1903.
8. Mauritania, in 1960.
9. Guinea-Bissau, in 1974.
10. Palau, in 1994.

* Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - Dogs

All questions relate to canine literary characters, both fictional
and real. In each case, name the *book*.

1. In September 1960, John Steinbeck and his poodle embarked on
a journey across America. This picaresque autobiographical tale
chronicles their trip through scenic backroads and anonymous
superhighways, moving from small towns to growing cities to
glorious wilderness.

2. Based on the true story of a real dog from Meaford, Ontario,
this 1893 novel by Margaret Marshall Saunders was the first
Canadian book to sell over 1,000,000 copies. The canine
central character belonged during the first part of his life
to a cruel master before he was rescued by a Meaford woman.
Today, a park next to her house bears his name, which is also
the title of this novel.

3. In a sleepy town on the banks of Mississippi's Yazoo River,
a boy falls in love with a lively intelligent puppy. The two
grow up together having wonderful adventures. The novel by
Willie Morris was made into a movie starring Kevin Bacon,
Frankie Muniz, and Moose (who played Eddie in the TV show
"Frasier") in the lead role.

4. Pongo and Missis live a comfortable life in London with their
15 adorable puppies. But their owners' neighbor has designs
on the dogs' beautiful coats. When the puppies are stolen and
even Scotland Yard is unable to find them, Pongo and Missis
take matters into their own paws!

5. In this novel by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, young Marty Preston
finds a stray beagle pup that he yearns to keep. It turns
out the dog belongs to Judd Travers, who drinks too much and
abuses his dogs. Without his parents. knowledge Marty decides
to hide the dog to protect him from Judd. Drama ensues.
A movie version starred Michael Moriarty and Scott Wilson.

6. Instinct tells them that the way home lies to the west.
And so the doughty Luath, roguish Bodger, and indomitable Tao
set out through the Canadian wilderness to find their owners.
Together they face starvation, exposure, and wild forest animals
to make their way home to the family they love.

7. A New York Times bestseller for 76 weeks, this autobiographical
book portrays a family's chaotic life with a high-strung,
boisterous, insatiable dog. His destructive acts and behaviors
are forgiven, however, because he has a heart of gold and is
merely acting out his canine nature.

8. A boy has been left to take care of the family ranch while
his father is on a cattle drive in the 1860s. When a scruffy
mongrel arrives uninvited, he reluctantly takes in the dog,
which eventually proves its worth by saving the family from harm
on several occasions. Ultimately the mutt contracts rabies
while rescuing his family from an infected wolf, resulting in
a heartbreaking end.

9. Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, 15-year-old
Christopher is autistic and everyday interactions bewilder him.
One day, a neighbor's dog is killed and Christopher sets out
to solve the murder in the style of his favorite detective,
Sherlock Holmes. The novel was adapted for the stage, and
during one performance, the ceiling of London's Apollo Theatre
fell on the audience.

10. In this 1970 Newbery Award winner, a young sharecropper's
son and his coon hound hunt every day to place food on the
family table, but usually return empty-handed. One morning,
a miraculous ham appears in the kitchen. But that night,
the boy's father is arrested for theft and the dog is shot
by the authorities. Two movie versions have been made, both
starring Paul Winfield.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "(Well, I didn't check all 3,993,984,827,392
msb@vex.net | of them, but...)" --Steve Summit

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogs

<XnsAFA0D0E7E353DYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5510&group=rec.games.trivia#5510

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogs
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2023 20:32:10 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 19:32 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography History - Colonies
>
> 1. In 1763 the Treaty of Paris ended the Seven Years War and
> resulted in France ceding almost all its North American
> territories to Great Britain. But what Caribbean island did
> the French choose to retain, considering it more valuable
> than Canada?

Hispaniola
> 2. What was the first Caribbean country to gain its independence?

Haïti
> 3. What was the last Central American country to gain its
> independence, in 1981?

Belize
> 4. Upon its independence from the UK on 1966-10-04, Basutoland
> was renamed to what?

Botswana
> 5. Ghana, independent from the UK in 1957.

Gold Coast

> 7. Panama, in 1903.

Colombia

> 8. Mauritania, in 1960.

France

> 9. Guinea-Bissau, in 1974.

Portugal

> 10. Palau, in 1994.

USA

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogs

<trjq5t$1j3qc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5512&group=rec.games.trivia#5512

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 12:18:04 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 20:18 UTC

On 2/3/23 04:21, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography History - Colonies
>
> 1. In 1763 the Treaty of Paris ended the Seven Years War and
> resulted in France ceding almost all its North American
> territories to Great Britain. But what Caribbean island did
> the French choose to retain, considering it more valuable
> than Canada?

Martinique ??

(A similar thing happened after one of the Anglo-Dutch Wars (I forget
whether war number 2 or 3.) The Dutch had the choice of whether to keep
New Amsterdam or Banda, a now obscure island group in the East Indies.
They chose Banda, it being considered more valuable because it was the
source of nutmeg.)

> 2. What was the first Caribbean country to gain its independence?

Haiti

> 3. What was the last Central American country to gain its
> independence, in 1981?

Belize

> 4. Upon its independence from the UK on 1966-10-04, Basutoland
> was renamed to what?

Zambia ??

> By what names were the following countries known until gaining independence?
>
> 5. Ghana, independent from the UK in 1957.

Gold Coast

> 6. Vanuatu, independent from joint UK/French rule in 1980.

New Hebrides

> From what countries did the following countries gain their independence?
>
> 7. Panama, in 1903.

Colombia

> 8. Mauritania, in 1960.

France

> 9. Guinea-Bissau, in 1974.

UK

> 10. Palau, in 1994.

USA

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - Dogs
>
> All questions relate to canine literary characters, both fictional
> and real. In each case, name the *book*.
>
> 1. In September 1960, John Steinbeck and his poodle embarked on
> a journey across America. This picaresque autobiographical tale
> chronicles their trip through scenic backroads and anonymous
> superhighways, moving from small towns to growing cities to
> glorious wilderness.
>
> 2. Based on the true story of a real dog from Meaford, Ontario,
> this 1893 novel by Margaret Marshall Saunders was the first
> Canadian book to sell over 1,000,000 copies. The canine
> central character belonged during the first part of his life
> to a cruel master before he was rescued by a Meaford woman.
> Today, a park next to her house bears his name, which is also
> the title of this novel.
>
> 3. In a sleepy town on the banks of Mississippi's Yazoo River,
> a boy falls in love with a lively intelligent puppy. The two
> grow up together having wonderful adventures. The novel by
> Willie Morris was made into a movie starring Kevin Bacon,
> Frankie Muniz, and Moose (who played Eddie in the TV show
> "Frasier") in the lead role.
>
> 4. Pongo and Missis live a comfortable life in London with their
> 15 adorable puppies. But their owners' neighbor has designs
> on the dogs' beautiful coats. When the puppies are stolen and
> even Scotland Yard is unable to find them, Pongo and Missis
> take matters into their own paws!

101 Dalmatians

> 5. In this novel by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, young Marty Preston
> finds a stray beagle pup that he yearns to keep. It turns
> out the dog belongs to Judd Travers, who drinks too much and
> abuses his dogs. Without his parents. knowledge Marty decides
> to hide the dog to protect him from Judd. Drama ensues.
> A movie version starred Michael Moriarty and Scott Wilson.
>
> 6. Instinct tells them that the way home lies to the west.
> And so the doughty Luath, roguish Bodger, and indomitable Tao
> set out through the Canadian wilderness to find their owners.
> Together they face starvation, exposure, and wild forest animals
> to make their way home to the family they love.
>
> 7. A New York Times bestseller for 76 weeks, this autobiographical
> book portrays a family's chaotic life with a high-strung,
> boisterous, insatiable dog. His destructive acts and behaviors
> are forgiven, however, because he has a heart of gold and is
> merely acting out his canine nature.
>
> 8. A boy has been left to take care of the family ranch while
> his father is on a cattle drive in the 1860s. When a scruffy
> mongrel arrives uninvited, he reluctantly takes in the dog,
> which eventually proves its worth by saving the family from harm
> on several occasions. Ultimately the mutt contracts rabies
> while rescuing his family from an infected wolf, resulting in
> a heartbreaking end.

Old Yeller ??

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogs

<trk3al$k6n$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5513&group=rec.games.trivia#5513

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 22:54:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 22:54 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography History - Colonies

> 1. In 1763 the Treaty of Paris ended the Seven Years War and
> resulted in France ceding almost all its North American
> territories to Great Britain. But what Caribbean island did
> the French choose to retain, considering it more valuable
> than Canada?

Montserrat

> 2. What was the first Caribbean country to gain its independence?

Haiti

> 3. What was the last Central American country to gain its
> independence, in 1981?

Belize

> 4. Upon its independence from the UK on 1966-10-04, Basutoland
> was renamed to what?

Botswana

> 5. Ghana, independent from the UK in 1957.

Gold Coast

> 7. Panama, in 1903.

Colombia

> 8. Mauritania, in 1960.

France

> 9. Guinea-Bissau, in 1974.

Portugal; France

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - Dogs

> 1. In September 1960, John Steinbeck and his poodle embarked on
> a journey across America. This picaresque autobiographical tale
> chronicles their trip through scenic backroads and anonymous
> superhighways, moving from small towns to growing cities to
> glorious wilderness.

Travels With Charly

> 4. Pongo and Missis live a comfortable life in London with their
> 15 adorable puppies. But their owners' neighbor has designs
> on the dogs' beautiful coats. When the puppies are stolen and
> even Scotland Yard is unable to find them, Pongo and Missis
> take matters into their own paws!

101 Dalmatians

> 7. A New York Times bestseller for 76 weeks, this autobiographical
> book portrays a family's chaotic life with a high-strung,
> boisterous, insatiable dog. His destructive acts and behaviors
> are forgiven, however, because he has a heart of gold and is
> merely acting out his canine nature.

Marley and Me

> 8. A boy has been left to take care of the family ranch while
> his father is on a cattle drive in the 1860s. When a scruffy
> mongrel arrives uninvited, he reluctantly takes in the dog,
> which eventually proves its worth by saving the family from harm
> on several occasions. Ultimately the mutt contracts rabies
> while rescuing his family from an infected wolf, resulting in
> a heartbreaking end.

Old Yeller

> 9. Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, 15-year-old
> Christopher is autistic and everyday interactions bewilder him.
> One day, a neighbor's dog is killed and Christopher sets out
> to solve the murder in the style of his favorite detective,
> Sherlock Holmes. The novel was adapted for the stage, and
> during one performance, the ceiling of London's Apollo Theatre
> fell on the audience.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogs

<e4cc556b-36aa-43c6-b765-4c0ac18be9b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5515&group=rec.games.trivia#5515

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 16:16:28 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 00:16 UTC

On Friday, February 3, 2023 at 6:21:33 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography History - Colonies
>
> 1. In 1763 the Treaty of Paris ended the Seven Years War and
> resulted in France ceding almost all its North American
> territories to Great Britain. But what Caribbean island did
> the French choose to retain, considering it more valuable
> than Canada?

Hispaniola
> 2. What was the first Caribbean country to gain its independence?

Haiti

> 3. What was the last Central American country to gain its
> independence, in 1981?

Belize

> 4. Upon its independence from the UK on 1966-10-04, Basutoland
> was renamed to what?

Lesotho

> By what names were the following countries known until gaining independence?
>
> 5. Ghana, independent from the UK in 1957.

Gold Coast
> 6. Vanuatu, independent from joint UK/French rule in 1980.

Ellice Islands

> From what countries did the following countries gain their independence?
>
> 7. Panama, in 1903.

Colombia

> 8. Mauritania, in 1960.

France
> 9. Guinea-Bissau, in 1974.

Portugal

> 10. Palau, in 1994.

USA

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - Dogs
>
> All questions relate to canine literary characters, both fictional
> and real. In each case, name the *book*.
>
> 1. In September 1960, John Steinbeck and his poodle embarked on
> a journey across America. This picaresque autobiographical tale
> chronicles their trip through scenic backroads and anonymous
> superhighways, moving from small towns to growing cities to
> glorious wilderness.

"Travels with Charley"

> 3. In a sleepy town on the banks of Mississippi's Yazoo River,
> a boy falls in love with a lively intelligent puppy. The two
> grow up together having wonderful adventures. The novel by
> Willie Morris was made into a movie starring Kevin Bacon,
> Frankie Muniz, and Moose (who played Eddie in the TV show
> "Frasier") in the lead role.

"My Dog Skip"
> 4. Pongo and Missis live a comfortable life in London with their
> 15 adorable puppies. But their owners' neighbor has designs
> on the dogs' beautiful coats. When the puppies are stolen and
> even Scotland Yard is unable to find them, Pongo and Missis
> take matters into their own paws!

"One Hundred and One Dalmatians"

> 6. Instinct tells them that the way home lies to the west.
> And so the doughty Luath, roguish Bodger, and indomitable Tao
> set out through the Canadian wilderness to find their owners.
> Together they face starvation, exposure, and wild forest animals
> to make their way home to the family they love.

"The Incredible Journey"
> 7. A New York Times bestseller for 76 weeks, this autobiographical
> book portrays a family's chaotic life with a high-strung,
> boisterous, insatiable dog. His destructive acts and behaviors
> are forgiven, however, because he has a heart of gold and is
> merely acting out his canine nature.

"Marley and Me"

> 8. A boy has been left to take care of the family ranch while
> his father is on a cattle drive in the 1860s. When a scruffy
> mongrel arrives uninvited, he reluctantly takes in the dog,
> which eventually proves its worth by saving the family from harm
> on several occasions. Ultimately the mutt contracts rabies
> while rescuing his family from an infected wolf, resulting in
> a heartbreaking end.

"Old Yeller"

> 9. Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, 15-year-old
> Christopher is autistic and everyday interactions bewilder him.
> One day, a neighbor's dog is killed and Christopher sets out
> to solve the murder in the style of his favorite detective,
> Sherlock Holmes. The novel was adapted for the stage, and
> during one performance, the ceiling of London's Apollo Theatre
> fell on the audience.

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time"

> 10. In this 1970 Newbery Award winner, a young sharecropper's
> son and his coon hound hunt every day to place food on the
> family table, but usually return empty-handed. One morning,
> a miraculous ham appears in the kitchen. But that night,
> the boy's father is arrested for theft and the dog is shot
> by the authorities. Two movie versions have been made, both
> starring Paul Winfield.

"Sounder"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 - colonies and dogs

<trmheh$24iav$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5516&group=rec.games.trivia#5516

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Ruth and Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 15:07:29 -0600
 by: Ruth and Pete Gayde - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 21:07 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto
on 2014-01-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography History - Colonies
>
> 1. In 1763 the Treaty of Paris ended the Seven Years War and
> resulted in France ceding almost all its North American
> territories to Great Britain. But what Caribbean island did
> the French choose to retain, considering it more valuable
> than Canada?

Martinique

> 2. What was the first Caribbean country to gain its independence?

Haiti

> 3. What was the last Central American country to gain its
> independence, in 1981?

Belize

> 4. Upon its independence from the UK on 1966-10-04, Basutoland
> was renamed to what?

Botswana

> By what names were the following countries known until gaining
independence?

> 5. Ghana, independent from the UK in 1957.
> 6. Vanuatu, independent from joint UK/French rule in 1980.
>
> From what countries did the following countries gain their independence?
>
> 7. Panama, in 1903.

Spain

> 8. Mauritania, in 1960.

France

> 9. Guinea-Bissau, in 1974.

France

> 10. Palau, in 1994.

Australia; New Zealand

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - Dogs
>
> All questions relate to canine literary characters, both fictional
> and real. In each case, name the *book*.
>
> 1. In September 1960, John Steinbeck and his poodle embarked on
> a journey across America. This picaresque autobiographical tale
> chronicles their trip through scenic backroads and anonymous
> superhighways, moving from small towns to growing cities to
> glorious wilderness.
>
> 2. Based on the true story of a real dog from Meaford, Ontario,
> this 1893 novel by Margaret Marshall Saunders was the first
> Canadian book to sell over 1,000,000 copies. The canine
> central character belonged during the first part of his life
> to a cruel master before he was rescued by a Meaford woman.
> Today, a park next to her house bears his name, which is also
> the title of this novel.
Balto

> 3. In a sleepy town on the banks of Mississippi's Yazoo River,
> a boy falls in love with a lively intelligent puppy. The two
> grow up together having wonderful adventures. The novel by
> Willie Morris was made into a movie starring Kevin Bacon,
> Frankie Muniz, and Moose (who played Eddie in the TV show
> "Frasier") in the lead role.
>
> 4. Pongo and Missis live a comfortable life in London with their
> 15 adorable puppies. But their owners' neighbor has designs
> on the dogs' beautiful coats. When the puppies are stolen and
> even Scotland Yard is unable to find them, Pongo and Missis
> take matters into their own paws!

101 Dalmatians

> 5. In this novel by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, young Marty Preston
> finds a stray beagle pup that he yearns to keep. It turns
> out the dog belongs to Judd Travers, who drinks too much and
> abuses his dogs. Without his parents. knowledge Marty decides
> to hide the dog to protect him from Judd. Drama ensues.
> A movie version starred Michael Moriarty and Scott Wilson.
>
> 6. Instinct tells them that the way home lies to the west.
> And so the doughty Luath, roguish Bodger, and indomitable Tao
> set out through the Canadian wilderness to find their owners.
> Together they face starvation, exposure, and wild forest animals
> to make their way home to the family they love.
>
> 7. A New York Times bestseller for 76 weeks, this autobiographical
> book portrays a family's chaotic life with a high-strung,
> boisterous, insatiable dog. His destructive acts and behaviors
> are forgiven, however, because he has a heart of gold and is
> merely acting out his canine nature.

Marley and Me

> 8. A boy has been left to take care of the family ranch while
> his father is on a cattle drive in the 1860s. When a scruffy
> mongrel arrives uninvited, he reluctantly takes in the dog,
> which eventually proves its worth by saving the family from harm
> on several occasions. Ultimately the mutt contracts rabies
> while rescuing his family from an infected wolf, resulting in
> a heartbreaking end.

Old Yeller

> 9. Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, 15-year-old
> Christopher is autistic and everyday interactions bewilder him.
> One day, a neighbor's dog is killed and Christopher sets out
> to solve the murder in the style of his favorite detective,
> Sherlock Holmes. The novel was adapted for the stage, and
> during one performance, the ceiling of London's Apollo Theatre
> fell on the audience.
>
> 10. In this 1970 Newbery Award winner, a young sharecropper's
> son and his coon hound hunt every day to place food on the
> family table, but usually return empty-handed. One morning,
> a miraculous ham appears in the kitchen. But that night,
> the boy's father is arrested for theft and the dog is shot
> by the authorities. Two movie versions have been made, both
> starring Paul Winfield.

Sounder

Pete Gayde

RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers - colonies and dogs

<GD2dnbX4JpTBsHz-nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5517&group=rec.games.trivia#5517

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers - colonies and dogs
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 16:39:56 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 16:39 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography History - Colonies

Since we already had history, I'll label this as geography in the
score table.

> 1. In 1763 the Treaty of Paris ended the Seven Years War and
> resulted in France ceding almost all its North American
> territories to Great Britain. But what Caribbean island did
> the French choose to retain, considering it more valuable
> than Canada?

Guadeloupe was the expected answer, but Martinique is also correct.
4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

Montserrat was already British at the time. As for Hispaniola,
only the part that's now Haiti (more or less) was then French;
the other part, as the name of the island suggests, was Spanish.

> 2. What was the first Caribbean country to gain its independence?

Haiti (from France in 1804). 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Tilque,
Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 3. What was the last Central American country to gain its
> independence, in 1981?

Belize. It stopped being called British Honduras several years
before independence, but this answer was accepted on protest in the
original game. 4 for everyone.

> 4. Upon its independence from the UK on 1966-10-04, Basutoland
> was renamed to what?

Lesotho. 4 for Joshua.

Botswana was Bechuanaland; Zambia was Northern Rhodesia.

> By what names were the following countries known until gaining independence?

> 5. Ghana, independent from the UK in 1957.

Gold Coast. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

British West Africa was a collective term for this and other nearby
colonies.

> 6. Vanuatu, independent from joint UK/French rule in 1980.

New Hebrides (or Nouvelles-Hébrides). 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

The Ellice Is. are now Tuvalu.

> From what countries did the following countries gain their independence?

> 7. Panama, in 1903.

Colombia. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

The Panamanian secession was basically orchestrated by US interests
in return for the creation of the Panama Canal Zone, within which the
US then constructed the canal, taking over the failed French project.

> 8. Mauritania, in 1960.

France. 4 for everyone.

> 9. Guinea-Bissau, in 1974.

Portugal. 4 for Erland and Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Palau, in 1994.

The US. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - Dogs

> All questions relate to canine literary characters, both fictional
> and real. In each case, name the *book*.

> 1. In September 1960, John Steinbeck and his poodle embarked on
> a journey across America. This picaresque autobiographical tale
> chronicles their trip through scenic backroads and anonymous
> superhighways, moving from small towns to growing cities to
> glorious wilderness.

"Travels with Charley". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 2. Based on the true story of a real dog from Meaford, Ontario,
> this 1893 novel by Margaret Marshall Saunders was the first
> Canadian book to sell over 1,000,000 copies. The canine
> central character belonged during the first part of his life
> to a cruel master before he was rescued by a Meaford woman.
> Today, a park next to her house bears his name, which is also
> the title of this novel.

"Beautiful Joe".

> 3. In a sleepy town on the banks of Mississippi's Yazoo River,
> a boy falls in love with a lively intelligent puppy. The two
> grow up together having wonderful adventures. The novel by
> Willie Morris was made into a movie starring Kevin Bacon,
> Frankie Muniz, and Moose (who played Eddie in the TV show
> "Frasier") in the lead role.

"My Dog Skip". 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Pongo and Missis live a comfortable life in London with their
> 15 adorable puppies. But their owners' neighbor has designs
> on the dogs' beautiful coats. When the puppies are stolen and
> even Scotland Yard is unable to find them, Pongo and Missis
> take matters into their own paws!

"The Hundred and One Dalmatians", also titled "The Great Dog Robbery"
(by Dodie Smith). 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. In this novel by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, young Marty Preston
> finds a stray beagle pup that he yearns to keep. It turns
> out the dog belongs to Judd Travers, who drinks too much and
> abuses his dogs. Without his parents. knowledge Marty decides
> to hide the dog to protect him from Judd. Drama ensues.
> A movie version starred Michael Moriarty and Scott Wilson.

"Shiloh".

> 6. Instinct tells them that the way home lies to the west.
> And so the doughty Luath, roguish Bodger, and indomitable Tao
> set out through the Canadian wilderness to find their owners.
> Together they face starvation, exposure, and wild forest animals
> to make their way home to the family they love.

"The Incredible Journey" by Sheila Burnford. 4 for Joshua.

The second movie version added "Homeward Bound" at the start of the
title; some library catalogs show that version of the title used for
the book also, so I suppose it was used for at least one edition,
and therefore I'm accepting it.

> 7. A New York Times bestseller for 76 weeks, this autobiographical
> book portrays a family's chaotic life with a high-strung,
> boisterous, insatiable dog. His destructive acts and behaviors
> are forgiven, however, because he has a heart of gold and is
> merely acting out his canine nature.

"Marley and Me" by John Grogan. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 8. A boy has been left to take care of the family ranch while
> his father is on a cattle drive in the 1860s. When a scruffy
> mongrel arrives uninvited, he reluctantly takes in the dog,
> which eventually proves its worth by saving the family from harm
> on several occasions. Ultimately the mutt contracts rabies
> while rescuing his family from an infected wolf, resulting in
> a heartbreaking end.

"Old Yeller" by Fred Gipson. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Pete.

> 9. Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, 15-year-old
> Christopher is autistic and everyday interactions bewilder him.
> One day, a neighbor's dog is killed and Christopher sets out
> to solve the murder in the style of his favorite detective,
> Sherlock Holmes. The novel was adapted for the stage, and
> during one performance, the ceiling of London's Apollo Theatre
> fell on the audience.

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon.
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

The title comes from a key bit of dialogue in the Sherlock Holmes
story "Silver Blaze", a title that in turn refers to a horse.

> 10. In this 1970 Newbery Award winner, a young sharecropper's
> son and his coon hound hunt every day to place food on the
> family table, but usually return empty-handed. One morning,
> a miraculous ham appears in the kitchen. But that night,
> the boy's father is arrested for theft and the dog is shot
> by the authorities. Two movie versions have been made, both
> starring Paul Winfield.

"Sounder" by William H. Armstrong. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent His Geo Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 28 36 36 32 132
Dan Blum 20 16 23 20 79
Dan Tilque 4 19 32 8 63
Erland Sommarskog 0 8 28 0 36
Pete Gayde -- -- 16 16 32

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Defendant's speech ends in long sentence"
msb@vex.net | --Minneapolis Tribune, February 25, 1981

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers - colonies and dogs

<fa733837-d226-4787-8de0-a32000f52960n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5521&group=rec.games.trivia#5521

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 16:59:17 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 00:59 UTC

On Monday, February 6, 2023 at 10:40:01 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> > 6. Vanuatu, independent from joint UK/French rule in 1980.
> New Hebrides (or Nouvelles-Hébrides). 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

I didn't get this one.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers - colonies and dogs

<GaudnQVUaLV0IXz-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5522&group=rec.games.trivia#5522

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2023 02:52:25 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 02:52 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > > 6. Vanuatu, independent from joint UK/French rule in 1980.
> > New Hebrides (or Nouvelles-Hébrides). 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

Joshua Kreitzer:
> I didn't get this one.

Oops. Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent His Geo Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 28 36 32 32 128
Dan Blum 20 16 23 20 79
Dan Tilque 4 19 32 8 63
Erland Sommarskog 0 8 28 0 36
Pete Gayde -- -- 16 16 32

--
Mark Brader | "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
Toronto | I said I didn't know."