For a holy stint, a moth of the cloth gave up his woolens for lint.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers - alcoholics and Nelson Mandela

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 - alcoholics and Nelson MandelaMark Brader
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 - alcoholics and Nelson MandelaJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 - alcoholics and Nelson MandelaDan Blum
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 - alcoholics and Nelson MandelaDan Tilque
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 - alcoholics and Nelson MandelaErland Sommarskog
`* RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers - alcoholics and Nelson MandelaMark Brader
 `* RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers - alcoholics and NelsonDan Tilque
  `- RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers - alcoholics and Nelson MandelaMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 - alcoholics and Nelson Mandela

<S0WdnZjINYA6xUX-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5503&group=rec.games.trivia#5503

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 - alcoholics and Nelson Mandela
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 23:54:15 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 23:54 UTC

The Canadian Inquisition is currently showing some stirrings of
life, but is still probably at least some months from starting
a new season. Meanwhile, I will continue reposting old questions.

After the Night Owls' season that I just finished posting, the
next one that I posted before was by Clueless, originally played
September-December 2013, and posted here by me October 2013 -
March 2014. However, I think that was a harder-than-average
season and I'm going to skip over it.

The next season, then, was written by the Cellar Rats, originally
played in January-April 2014, and posted here by me March-Setpember
of the same year. So, here goes with that one.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is facing allegations that his
staff partially closed the access to the George Washington Bridge
(leading to Manhattan) from a town of 35,000 whose Democratic
mayor had not supported him. Name the town.

2. What unusual wind pattern caused very low temperatures in much
of North America last week?

* Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - Alcoholics in Pop Culture

It's all fun and games until someone crashes a car.

Here are TV and movie characters who are current or former heavy
drinkers, whether or not they also have other addictions. We name
the actor/actress and the character, and you give us the title.

For #1-8, name the TV series.

1. Luke Perry as Dylan.
2. Anna Farris as Christy.
3. Denis Leary as Tommy Gavin.
4. John Spencer as Leo McGarry.
5. Megan Mullaly as Karen Walker.
6. Dominic West as Jimmy McNulty.
7. Maura Tierney as Abby Lockhart.
8. John Slattery as Roger Sterling.

For #9-10, name the movie.

9. Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance.
10. Elizabeth Taylor as Martha, wife of George.

* Game 1, Round 3 - History - Nelson Mandela

1. Within 2 years, when was Nelson Mandela born?

2. Within 2 years, in what year did apartheid become the official
policy of South Africa?

3. From the time he was a young adult, Mandela was long associated
with what political and anti-apartheid organization in South
Africa?

4. Name the prison (South Africa's Alcatraz, as it were) where
Mandela spent most of his years of imprisonment.

5. In what year did it happen that Mandela was released from prison,
and negotiations to end apartheid began?

6. Under which South African president was Mandela was released
from prison?

7. In what year was Mandela himself elected president?

8. Mandela was often affectionately referred to by what nickname,
which was also his Xhosa clan name?

9. Mandela's remains are buried in the village where he grew up
and that was his ancestral homeland. Name it.

10. Nelson Mandela was a close runner-up for "Time" magazine's
"Person of the Century". But who did "Time" ultimately choose
instead?

--
Mark Brader | "Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf!
Toronto | Don't be a jabbernowl! You're not those, are you?"

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 - alcoholics and Nelson Mandela

<799665e0-625e-4678-8ca4-f6bde3bac072n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5504&group=rec.games.trivia#5504

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 18:39:03 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 02:39 UTC

On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 5:54:20 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is facing allegations that his
> staff partially closed the access to the George Washington Bridge
> (leading to Manhattan) from a town of 35,000 whose Democratic
> mayor had not supported him. Name the town.

Fort Lee
> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - Alcoholics in Pop Culture
>
> Here are TV and movie characters who are current or former heavy
> drinkers, whether or not they also have other addictions. We name
> the actor/actress and the character, and you give us the title.
>
> For #1-8, name the TV series.
>
> 1. Luke Perry as Dylan.

"Beverly Hills 90210"

> 2. Anna Farris as Christy.

"Mom"

> 3. Denis Leary as Tommy Gavin.

"The Shield"

> 4. John Spencer as Leo McGarry.

"The West Wing"

> 5. Megan Mullaly as Karen Walker.

"Will and Grace"

> 6. Dominic West as Jimmy McNulty.

"The Shield"

> 7. Maura Tierney as Abby Lockhart.

"Parenthood"

> 8. John Slattery as Roger Sterling.

"Mad Men"
> For #9-10, name the movie.
>
> 9. Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance.

"The Shining"

> 10. Elizabeth Taylor as Martha, wife of George.

"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

> * Game 1, Round 3 - History - Nelson Mandela
>
> 1. Within 2 years, when was Nelson Mandela born?

1918

> 2. Within 2 years, in what year did apartheid become the official
> policy of South Africa?

1948

> 3. From the time he was a young adult, Mandela was long associated
> with what political and anti-apartheid organization in South
> Africa?

African National Congress

> 4. Name the prison (South Africa's Alcatraz, as it were) where
> Mandela spent most of his years of imprisonment.

Robben Island

> 5. In what year did it happen that Mandela was released from prison,
> and negotiations to end apartheid began?

1990

> 6. Under which South African president was Mandela was released
> from prison?

de Klerk

> 7. In what year was Mandela himself elected president?

1994

> 8. Mandela was often affectionately referred to by what nickname,
> which was also his Xhosa clan name?

Madiba

> 10. Nelson Mandela was a close runner-up for "Time" magazine's
> "Person of the Century". But who did "Time" ultimately choose
> instead?

Einstein

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 - alcoholics and Nelson Mandela

<tra3t3$glb$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5505&group=rec.games.trivia#5505

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 04:02:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 04:02 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 2. What unusual wind pattern caused very low temperatures in much
> of North America last week?

polar vortex

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - Alcoholics in Pop Culture

> 1. Luke Perry as Dylan.

Beverly Hills 90210

> 4. John Spencer as Leo McGarry.

The West Wing

> 5. Megan Mullaly as Karen Walker.

Will & Grace

> 8. John Slattery as Roger Sterling.

Mad Men

> 9. Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance.

Five Easy Pieces; As Good as it Gets

> 10. Elizabeth Taylor as Martha, wife of George.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

> * Game 1, Round 3 - History - Nelson Mandela

> 1. Within 2 years, when was Nelson Mandela born?

1930

> 2. Within 2 years, in what year did apartheid become the official
> policy of South Africa?

1925

> 3. From the time he was a young adult, Mandela was long associated
> with what political and anti-apartheid organization in South
> Africa?

African National Congress

> 4. Name the prison (South Africa's Alcatraz, as it were) where
> Mandela spent most of his years of imprisonment.

Robben Island

> 5. In what year did it happen that Mandela was released from prison,
> and negotiations to end apartheid began?

1991

> 6. Under which South African president was Mandela was released
> from prison?

F. W. de Klerk

> 7. In what year was Mandela himself elected president?

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 - alcoholics and Nelson Mandela

<tra9as$3m3en$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5506&group=rec.games.trivia#5506

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 21:35:24 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 05:35 UTC

On 1/30/23 15:54, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is facing allegations that his
> staff partially closed the access to the George Washington Bridge
> (leading to Manhattan) from a town of 35,000 whose Democratic
> mayor had not supported him. Name the town.

Fort Lee

> 2. What unusual wind pattern caused very low temperatures in much
> of North America last week?

breakout from the polar vortex

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - Alcoholics in Pop Culture
>
> It's all fun and games until someone crashes a car.
>
> Here are TV and movie characters who are current or former heavy
> drinkers, whether or not they also have other addictions. We name
> the actor/actress and the character, and you give us the title.
>
> For #1-8, name the TV series.
>
> 1. Luke Perry as Dylan.
> 2. Anna Farris as Christy.
> 3. Denis Leary as Tommy Gavin.
> 4. John Spencer as Leo McGarry.
> 5. Megan Mullaly as Karen Walker.
> 6. Dominic West as Jimmy McNulty.
> 7. Maura Tierney as Abby Lockhart.
> 8. John Slattery as Roger Sterling.
>
> For #9-10, name the movie.
>
> 9. Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance.

Chinatown

> 10. Elizabeth Taylor as Martha, wife of George.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf

> * Game 1, Round 3 - History - Nelson Mandela
>
> 1. Within 2 years, when was Nelson Mandela born?

1920

> 2. Within 2 years, in what year did apartheid become the official
> policy of South Africa?

1947

> 3. From the time he was a young adult, Mandela was long associated
> with what political and anti-apartheid organization in South
> Africa?

African Nation Congress

> 4. Name the prison (South Africa's Alcatraz, as it were) where
> Mandela spent most of his years of imprisonment.
>
> 5. In what year did it happen that Mandela was released from prison,
> and negotiations to end apartheid began?

1993

> 6. Under which South African president was Mandela was released
> from prison?

de Klerk

> 7. In what year was Mandela himself elected president?

1994

> 8. Mandela was often affectionately referred to by what nickname,
> which was also his Xhosa clan name?
>
> 9. Mandela's remains are buried in the village where he grew up
> and that was his ancestral homeland. Name it.
>
> 10. Nelson Mandela was a close runner-up for "Time" magazine's
> "Person of the Century". But who did "Time" ultimately choose
> instead?

Franklin Roosevelt

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 - alcoholics and Nelson Mandela

<XnsAF9DCDBF68F27Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5507&group=rec.games.trivia#5507

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 20:13:32 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 19:13 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 2. What unusual wind pattern caused very low temperatures in much
> of North America last week?

Oh, I don't remember the name, but I do remember the situation. It
was completely amazing to look at the weather forecast and see that
it would be twenty centigrades warmer in Stockholm than in Atlanta.
7°C in Stockholm (which is very warm to be January) and -13°C in
Atlanta.
> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - Alcoholics in Pop Culture
>
> * Game 1, Round 3 - History - Nelson Mandela
>
> 1. Within 2 years, when was Nelson Mandela born?

1929
> 2. Within 2 years, in what year did apartheid become the official
> policy of South Africa?

1948
> 5. In what year did it happen that Mandela was released from prison,
> and negotiations to end apartheid began?

1989
> 6. Under which South African president was Mandela was released
> from prison?

F W de Klerk
> 7. In what year was Mandela himself elected president?

1991

RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers - alcoholics and Nelson Mandela

<e9CcnUtuAMlGZkH-nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5508&group=rec.games.trivia#5508

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers - alcoholics and Nelson Mandela
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2023 12:19:39 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 12:19 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is facing allegations that his
> staff partially closed the access to the George Washington Bridge
> (leading to Manhattan) from a town of 35,000 whose Democratic
> mayor had not supported him. Name the town.

Fort Lee. Joshua and Dan Tilque got this.

> 2. What unusual wind pattern caused very low temperatures in much
> of North America last week?

A polar vortex. Dan Blum and Dan Tilque (more or less) got this.

It's happening again. Toronto's generally been just beyond the
limit of the effect, but today our forecast high temperature is
-13 Celsius.

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - Alcoholics in Pop Culture

> It's all fun and games until someone crashes a car.

> Here are TV and movie characters who are current or former heavy
> drinkers, whether or not they also have other addictions. We name
> the actor/actress and the character, and you give us the title.

This was the second-easiest round in the original game, after the
audio round.

> For #1-8, name the TV series.

> 1. Luke Perry as Dylan.

"Beverly Hills 90210". (1990-2000; but he was not in "90210",
a sequel series.) 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 2. Anna Farris as Christy.

"Mom" (appeared 2013-20). 4 for Joshua.

> 3. Denis Leary as Tommy Gavin.

"Rescue Me" (2004-11).

> 4. John Spencer as Leo McGarry.

"The West Wing" (1999-2006). 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 5. Megan Mullaly as Karen Walker.

"Will and Grace" (1998-2006 and now also 2017-20). 4 for Joshua
and Dan Blum.

> 6. Dominic West as Jimmy McNulty.

"The Wire" (2002-08).

> 7. Maura Tierney as Abby Lockhart.

"ER" (appeared 1999-2009).

> 8. John Slattery as Roger Sterling.

"Mad Men" (2007-15). 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> For #9-10, name the movie.

> 9. Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance.

"The Shining" (1980). 4 for Joshua.

> 10. Elizabeth Taylor as Martha, wife of George.

"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" (1966). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 1, Round 3 - History - Nelson Mandela

> 1. Within 2 years, when was Nelson Mandela born?

1918 (accepting 1916-20). 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Within 2 years, in what year did apartheid become the official
> policy of South Africa?

1948 (accepting 1946-50). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 3. From the time he was a young adult, Mandela was long associated
> with what political and anti-apartheid organization in South
> Africa?

African National Congress. ANC was sufficient. 4 for Joshua
and Dan Blum. 3 for Dan Tilque.

> 4. Name the prison (South Africa's Alcatraz, as it were) where
> Mandela spent most of his years of imprisonment.

Robben Island. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 5. In what year did it happen that Mandela was released from prison,
> and negotiations to end apartheid began?

1990. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. Under which South African president was Mandela was released
> from prison?

F.W. de Klerk. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Erland.

> 7. In what year was Mandela himself elected president?

1994. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Mandela was often affectionately referred to by what nickname,
> which was also his Xhosa clan name?

Madiba. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Mandela's remains are buried in the village where he grew up
> and that was his ancestral homeland. Name it.

Qunu.

> 10. Nelson Mandela was a close runner-up for "Time" magazine's
> "Person of the Century". But who did "Time" ultimately choose
> instead?

Albert Einstein. 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent His
Joshua Kreitzer 28 36 64
Dan Blum 20 16 36
Dan Tilque 4 19 23
Erland Sommarskog 0 8 8

--
Mark Brader | "...having compressed some 300 million years into
Toronto | two paragraphs, I have left out some details."

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers - alcoholics and Nelson Mandela

<trjo0k$1io9d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5511&group=rec.games.trivia#5511

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers - alcoholics and Nelson
Mandela
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 11:41:08 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 19:41 UTC

On 2/3/23 04:19, Mark Brader wrote:

>> 2. What unusual wind pattern caused very low temperatures in much
>> of North America last week?
>
> A polar vortex. Dan Blum and Dan Tilque (more or less) got this.

No I got it right and "polar vortex" is not quite right. The polar
vortex is a wind that circles the pole at roughly latitude 50 and keeps
all the cold arctic air contained. When it breaks down, the frigid air
is let out and causes extreme cold spells in temperate regions.

Global warming is causing it to break down more frequently, so it's in
the news a lot more than it used to be.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers - alcoholics and Nelson Mandela

<yAqdnQWbL7nmAkD-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5514&group=rec.games.trivia#5514

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2023 23:57:47 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 23:57 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 2. What unusual wind pattern caused very low temperatures in much
>>> of North America last week?
>>
>> A polar vortex. Dan Blum and Dan Tilque (more or less) got this.
Dan Tilque:
> No I got it right and "polar vortex" is not quite right. The polar
> vortex is a wind that circles the pole at roughly latitude 50 and keeps
> all the cold arctic air contained. When it breaks down, the frigid air
> is let out and causes extreme cold spells in temperate regions.

I actually knew that, but "polar vortex" is how the pattern variation
was described in the news media, and therefore now the correct answer.
--
Mark Brader "How many pessimists end up by desiring
Toronto the things they fear, in order to prove