Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 - Alzheimer's and no Cups
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 16:41:38 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 16:41 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Alzheimer's Disease

More and more, research shows that keeping your mind active and
constantly engaged (including, for example, playing trivia) can
help stave off the symptoms of Alzheimer's. In that spirit, here
are some questions on the disease to help keep your mind active:

1. Within 4 years, in which year was Alzheimer's disease first
described by German doctor Alois Alzheimer?

2. In the 1970s and 1980s, it was widely believed that exposure
to what metallic element might be a principal cause of
Alzheimer's?

3. More recently, what protein, which forms solid plaques in the
brains of Alzheimer's sufferers, has been targeted as the
principal culprit in causing Alzheimer's?

4. Another brain protein, Tau, is also the subject of Alzheimer's
research. It creates formations found in the brains of
Alzheimer's victims known as neurofibrillary... what?

5. This major neurotransmitter is the target of most drugs currently
prescribed for Alzheimer's, which work to increase its levels
by inhibiting the enzymes that break it down. Name it.

6. One distressing symptom which arises in the middle stages of
Alzheimer's is increased confusion and agitation that begins in
the evening as the sun sets and outside light levels decrease.
What name is given to this phenomenon?

7. Early-onset Alzheimer's is a rarer form of the disease, where
symptoms occur earlier than usually observed. It can produce
symptoms in those as young as 15, but what is the usual cutoff
age under which Alzheimer's is considered to be "early onset"?

8. This diet, which over the last few years has often been reported
on in conjunction with a number of purported health benefits, is
now believed to lower the risk of Alzheimer's as well. Name it.

9. Increasingly (and as currently publicized by such "distinguished"
doctors as Dr. Oz), Alzheimer's is being viewed as a neurological
version of a lifestyle disease that affects many starting in
middle age. Thus, in this view, researchers refer to Alzheimer's
as *what* "of the brain"?

10. Some recent research suggests that a certain virus, which
produces re-occurring temporary but annoying symptoms in many
people, may play a role in the formation of <answer 3> plaques.
If this bears out, anti-viral treatments may someday help treat
or prevent Alzheimer's. Name the virus.

* Game 1, Round 8 - Sports - Never a Stanley Cup

None of these great NHL players was ever on a team that won the
Stanley Cup. In each case, name the player described.

1. This center played in the NHL 1971-89. He started as a Detroit
Red Wing and finished as a New York Ranger, but is best
remembered as a Los Angeles King. In the 1979-80 season,
he scored 2 more goals than Wayne Gretzky and won the Art
Ross trophy.

2. This center was the first draft choice in Buffalo Sabres history,
when selected first overall in the 1970 NHL draft. He played
his entire 17-year career with Buffalo and """continues"""
to be the all-time franchise leader in goals, assists, points,
and game-winning goals.

3. This center started his NHL career with the Quebec Nordiques
in 1980, and was traded in 1990 to the New Jersey Devils. He was
traded to St. Louis in 1995, shortly before he retired. He was
the Nordiques' all-time points leader. Since 2004, he """has
represented""" Slovakia as a member of the European Parliament.

4. This center joined the Red Wings in 1956, right after they won
4 Cups in the early 1950s. In 1968 he was traded to Toronto in
a deal that also involved Frank Mahovlich and Paul Henderson --
just in time for the Leafs' Ballard-era decline.

5. This center's career average of 1.17 points per game is the best
among US-born players, active or retired. He played for the
New York Islanders 1983-91, the Buffalo Sabres 1991-97, and
the New York Rangers from 1997 until his retirement in 1998,
scoring 468 goals and 1,013 points before his career was ended
by concussions.

6. This center was drafted first overall by Winnipeg in the 1981
entry draft. He became the youngest NHL player in history to
reach 100 points, and won Rookie of the Year. He was traded to
Buffalo in 1990, and retired as a Philadelphia Flyer in 1997,
after a losing effort in his only Stanley Cup final.

7. This American defenseman played more NHL games without winning
the Stanley Cup than any player in NHL history. He played for
Buffalo 1982-90, went to his only Cup final with Washington in
1998, and retired in 2003 after one season as a Maple Leaf.

8. This defenseman was drafted by New York in 1966, quickly becoming
the Rangers' best defenseman and drawing comparisons with Bobby
Orr. In the 1972 Summit Series, with Orr injured, he was named
Best Defenseman of the series and the MVP of the deciding Game 8.
He went to Boston in the trade that brought Phil Esposito to
the Rangers, and retired from the Red Wings in 1985.

9. This goaltender played 11 of his 13 seasons over two stints
with the Flyers. He became the first NHL goaltender to score
a goal by shooting the puck into the opponents' empty net.
He was also known for being one of the NHL's most aggressive
goaltenders, and set new records for the number of penalty
minutes recorded by a goaltender in the NHL.

10. This man """has""" the most career wins -- 454 -- of any
goaltender in NHL history who never played on a Stanley-Cup-
winning team. He was also the first goalie to have 30 or more
wins in a regular season for 5 different teams. He was a Leaf
1998-2002, and again 2008-09.

--
Mark Brader | "Imagine if math could be translated into poetry,
Toronto | and somehow it made sense to take the square root

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 - Alzheimer's and no Cups

<XnsAFA3E34ADD3C6Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5519&group=rec.games.trivia#5519

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 22:20:37 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 21:20 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Alzheimer's Disease
>
> 1. Within 4 years, in which year was Alzheimer's disease first
> described by German doctor Alois Alzheimer?

1904
> 2. In the 1970s and 1980s, it was widely believed that exposure
> to what metallic element might be a principal cause of
> Alzheimer's?

Aluminium
> 3. More recently, what protein, which forms solid plaques in the
> brains of Alzheimer's sufferers, has been targeted as the
> principal culprit in causing Alzheimer's?

Amolyde
> 7. Early-onset Alzheimer's is a rarer form of the disease, where
> symptoms occur earlier than usually observed. It can produce
> symptoms in those as young as 15, but what is the usual cutoff
> age under which Alzheimer's is considered to be "early onset"?

50

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 - Alzheimer's and no Cups

<trs26f$38cfs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5520&group=rec.games.trivia#5520

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 15:23:59 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 23:23 UTC

On 2/6/23 08:41, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Alzheimer's Disease
>
> More and more, research shows that keeping your mind active and
> constantly engaged (including, for example, playing trivia) can
> help stave off the symptoms of Alzheimer's. In that spirit, here
> are some questions on the disease to help keep your mind active:
>
> 1. Within 4 years, in which year was Alzheimer's disease first
> described by German doctor Alois Alzheimer?
>
> 2. In the 1970s and 1980s, it was widely believed that exposure
> to what metallic element might be a principal cause of
> Alzheimer's?

aluminum

> 3. More recently, what protein, which forms solid plaques in the
> brains of Alzheimer's sufferers, has been targeted as the
> principal culprit in causing Alzheimer's?

amyloid

(even more recently, amyloid plaques are thought to be a symptom but not
the cause of Alzheimer's.)

> 4. Another brain protein, Tau, is also the subject of Alzheimer's
> research. It creates formations found in the brains of
> Alzheimer's victims known as neurofibrillary... what?
>
> 5. This major neurotransmitter is the target of most drugs currently
> prescribed for Alzheimer's, which work to increase its levels
> by inhibiting the enzymes that break it down. Name it.

serotonin

> 6. One distressing symptom which arises in the middle stages of
> Alzheimer's is increased confusion and agitation that begins in
> the evening as the sun sets and outside light levels decrease.
> What name is given to this phenomenon?
>
> 7. Early-onset Alzheimer's is a rarer form of the disease, where
> symptoms occur earlier than usually observed. It can produce
> symptoms in those as young as 15, but what is the usual cutoff
> age under which Alzheimer's is considered to be "early onset"?

50

> 8. This diet, which over the last few years has often been reported
> on in conjunction with a number of purported health benefits, is
> now believed to lower the risk of Alzheimer's as well. Name it.

Mediterranean Diet

> 9. Increasingly (and as currently publicized by such "distinguished"
> doctors as Dr. Oz), Alzheimer's is being viewed as a neurological
> version of a lifestyle disease that affects many starting in
> middle age. Thus, in this view, researchers refer to Alzheimer's
> as *what* "of the brain"?
>
> 10. Some recent research suggests that a certain virus, which
> produces re-occurring temporary but annoying symptoms in many
> people, may play a role in the formation of <answer 3> plaques.
> If this bears out, anti-viral treatments may someday help treat
> or prevent Alzheimer's. Name the virus.

herpes ??

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 - Alzheimer's and no Cups

<trsf2s$9rv$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5523&group=rec.games.trivia#5523

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 03:03:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 03:03 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Alzheimer's Disease

> 1. Within 4 years, in which year was Alzheimer's disease first
> described by German doctor Alois Alzheimer?

1920; 1930

> 2. In the 1970s and 1980s, it was widely believed that exposure
> to what metallic element might be a principal cause of
> Alzheimer's?

aluminum

> 5. This major neurotransmitter is the target of most drugs currently
> prescribed for Alzheimer's, which work to increase its levels
> by inhibiting the enzymes that break it down. Name it.

dopamine; serotonin

> 6. One distressing symptom which arises in the middle stages of
> Alzheimer's is increased confusion and agitation that begins in
> the evening as the sun sets and outside light levels decrease.
> What name is given to this phenomenon?

twilight dementia

> 7. Early-onset Alzheimer's is a rarer form of the disease, where
> symptoms occur earlier than usually observed. It can produce
> symptoms in those as young as 15, but what is the usual cutoff
> age under which Alzheimer's is considered to be "early onset"?

40; 50

> 8. This diet, which over the last few years has often been reported
> on in conjunction with a number of purported health benefits, is
> now believed to lower the risk of Alzheimer's as well. Name it.

keto; paleo

> 9. Increasingly (and as currently publicized by such "distinguished"
> doctors as Dr. Oz), Alzheimer's is being viewed as a neurological
> version of a lifestyle disease that affects many starting in
> middle age. Thus, in this view, researchers refer to Alzheimer's
> as *what* "of the brain"?

diabetes

> 10. Some recent research suggests that a certain virus, which
> produces re-occurring temporary but annoying symptoms in many
> people, may play a role in the formation of <answer 3> plaques.
> If this bears out, anti-viral treatments may someday help treat
> or prevent Alzheimer's. Name the virus.

herpes

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 - Alzheimer's and no Cups

<76fff9b7-e265-42dc-9ceb-2fe482873d3cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5524&group=rec.games.trivia#5524

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 20:15:56 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 04:15 UTC

On Monday, February 6, 2023 at 10:41:43 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Alzheimer's Disease
>
> More and more, research shows that keeping your mind active and
> constantly engaged (including, for example, playing trivia) can
> help stave off the symptoms of Alzheimer's. In that spirit, here
> are some questions on the disease to help keep your mind active:
>
> 1. Within 4 years, in which year was Alzheimer's disease first
> described by German doctor Alois Alzheimer?

1890

> 2. In the 1970s and 1980s, it was widely believed that exposure
> to what metallic element might be a principal cause of
> Alzheimer's?

aluminum

> 7. Early-onset Alzheimer's is a rarer form of the disease, where
> symptoms occur earlier than usually observed. It can produce
> symptoms in those as young as 15, but what is the usual cutoff
> age under which Alzheimer's is considered to be "early onset"?

45
> 8. This diet, which over the last few years has often been reported
> on in conjunction with a number of purported health benefits, is
> now believed to lower the risk of Alzheimer's as well. Name it.

keto

> 9. Increasingly (and as currently publicized by such "distinguished"
> doctors as Dr. Oz), Alzheimer's is being viewed as a neurological
> version of a lifestyle disease that affects many starting in
> middle age. Thus, in this view, researchers refer to Alzheimer's
> as *what* "of the brain"?

cirrhosis

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Sports - Never a Stanley Cup

No answers here.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 - Alzheimer's and no Cups

<trsl40$3eb2t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5525&group=rec.games.trivia#5525

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 22:46:56 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 04:46 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Alzheimer's Disease
>
> More and more, research shows that keeping your mind active and
> constantly engaged (including, for example, playing trivia) can
> help stave off the symptoms of Alzheimer's. In that spirit, here
> are some questions on the disease to help keep your mind active:
>
> 1. Within 4 years, in which year was Alzheimer's disease first
> described by German doctor Alois Alzheimer?

1910; 1915

> 2. In the 1970s and 1980s, it was widely believed that exposure
> to what metallic element might be a principal cause of
> Alzheimer's?

Aluminum

> 3. More recently, what protein, which forms solid plaques in the
> brains of Alzheimer's sufferers, has been targeted as the
> principal culprit in causing Alzheimer's?
>
> 4. Another brain protein, Tau, is also the subject of Alzheimer's
> research. It creates formations found in the brains of
> Alzheimer's victims known as neurofibrillary... what?
>
> 5. This major neurotransmitter is the target of most drugs currently
> prescribed for Alzheimer's, which work to increase its levels
> by inhibiting the enzymes that break it down. Name it.
>
> 6. One distressing symptom which arises in the middle stages of
> Alzheimer's is increased confusion and agitation that begins in
> the evening as the sun sets and outside light levels decrease.
> What name is given to this phenomenon?
>
> 7. Early-onset Alzheimer's is a rarer form of the disease, where
> symptoms occur earlier than usually observed. It can produce
> symptoms in those as young as 15, but what is the usual cutoff
> age under which Alzheimer's is considered to be "early onset"?

70; 60

> 8. This diet, which over the last few years has often been reported
> on in conjunction with a number of purported health benefits, is
> now believed to lower the risk of Alzheimer's as well. Name it.

Paleo

> 9. Increasingly (and as currently publicized by such "distinguished"
> doctors as Dr. Oz), Alzheimer's is being viewed as a neurological
> version of a lifestyle disease that affects many starting in
> middle age. Thus, in this view, researchers refer to Alzheimer's
> as *what* "of the brain"?
>
> 10. Some recent research suggests that a certain virus, which
> produces re-occurring temporary but annoying symptoms in many
> people, may play a role in the formation of <answer 3> plaques.
> If this bears out, anti-viral treatments may someday help treat
> or prevent Alzheimer's. Name the virus.
>

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Sports - Never a Stanley Cup
>
> None of these great NHL players was ever on a team that won the
> Stanley Cup. In each case, name the player described.
>
> 1. This center played in the NHL 1971-89. He started as a Detroit
> Red Wing and finished as a New York Ranger, but is best
> remembered as a Los Angeles King. In the 1979-80 season,
> he scored 2 more goals than Wayne Gretzky and won the Art
> Ross trophy.

Marcel Dionne

> 2. This center was the first draft choice in Buffalo Sabres history,
> when selected first overall in the 1970 NHL draft. He played
> his entire 17-year career with Buffalo and """continues"""
> to be the all-time franchise leader in goals, assists, points,
> and game-winning goals.

Perreault

> 3. This center started his NHL career with the Quebec Nordiques
> in 1980, and was traded in 1990 to the New Jersey Devils. He was
> traded to St. Louis in 1995, shortly before he retired. He was
> the Nordiques' all-time points leader. Since 2004, he """has
> represented""" Slovakia as a member of the European Parliament.
>
> 4. This center joined the Red Wings in 1956, right after they won
> 4 Cups in the early 1950s. In 1968 he was traded to Toronto in
> a deal that also involved Frank Mahovlich and Paul Henderson --
> just in time for the Leafs' Ballard-era decline.

Norm Ullman

> 5. This center's career average of 1.17 points per game is the best
> among US-born players, active or retired. He played for the
> New York Islanders 1983-91, the Buffalo Sabres 1991-97, and
> the New York Rangers from 1997 until his retirement in 1998,
> scoring 468 goals and 1,013 points before his career was ended
> by concussions.
>
> 6. This center was drafted first overall by Winnipeg in the 1981
> entry draft. He became the youngest NHL player in history to
> reach 100 points, and won Rookie of the Year. He was traded to
> Buffalo in 1990, and retired as a Philadelphia Flyer in 1997,
> after a losing effort in his only Stanley Cup final.

Wickenheiser

> 7. This American defenseman played more NHL games without winning
> the Stanley Cup than any player in NHL history. He played for
> Buffalo 1982-90, went to his only Cup final with Washington in
> 1998, and retired in 2003 after one season as a Maple Leaf.
>
> 8. This defenseman was drafted by New York in 1966, quickly becoming
> the Rangers' best defenseman and drawing comparisons with Bobby
> Orr. In the 1972 Summit Series, with Orr injured, he was named
> Best Defenseman of the series and the MVP of the deciding Game 8.
> He went to Boston in the trade that brought Phil Esposito to
> the Rangers, and retired from the Red Wings in 1985.

Brad Park

> 9. This goaltender played 11 of his 13 seasons over two stints
> with the Flyers. He became the first NHL goaltender to score
> a goal by shooting the puck into the opponents' empty net.
> He was also known for being one of the NHL's most aggressive
> goaltenders, and set new records for the number of penalty
> minutes recorded by a goaltender in the NHL.

Hextall

> 10. This man """has""" the most career wins -- 454 -- of any
> goaltender in NHL history who never played on a Stanley-Cup-
> winning team. He was also the first goalie to have 30 or more
> wins in a regular season for 5 different teams. He was a Leaf
> 1998-2002, and again 2008-09.

Belfour

Pete Gayde