If there is no God, who pops up the next Kleenex? -- Art Hoppe

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: boating, landlocked countries

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countriesMark Brader
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countriesErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countriesDan Blum
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countriesJoshua Kreitzer
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countriesDan Tilque
+- RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countriesPete Gayde
`- RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: boating, landlocked countriesMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countries

<T-OdnQNZW-HJ0sz5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5547&group=rec.games.trivia#5547

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countries
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 17:58:44 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 2 May 2023 17:58 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-10,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 4 - Sports - Boating

1. A small flag, typically triangular, flown from the mast or
from the deck of a powerboat to indicate yacht club membership
is called what?

2. A short rope used for fastening something or securing rigging,
or a cord worn around the neck for carrying something (such as
a whistle) is called what?

3. What is the term for a rope or line used to raise a sail or
a spar?

4. Give the name for a large winch with a vertical axis, often
crank-operated, most often used to wind in anchors.

5. What is the speed of 1 nautical mile per hour called?

6. What is the name given to a special type of sail flown from
the bow of a sailboat when sailing downwind? It fills with
air similarly to a parachute, and is also often called a kite
or a chute.

7. This type of boat (either outboard or stern drive and typically
16-24 feet [5-7.5 m]) has U- or V-shaped bench-type seating in
front of the operator. It usually has a walk-through to the
bow via a hinged section of windshield. What is it called?

8. Usually a high-powered outboard, this V-hulled, low-freeboard
style of boat has a flat deck (except for where the operator
sits) for fishermen to walk on, with built-in wells to keep
bait and live fish. What is the name given to this popular
style of boat?

9. Which term describes a boat which, when speed increases,
rises above the water supported by winglike blades in the water,
greatly increasing efficiency? The inventor, Alexander Graham
Bell, experimented with this type of boat and a craft of his
design held the world marine speed record for 10 years.

10. Stern drive, also called inboard/outboard drive, for power
boats was introduced commercially at the New York Power Boat
Show in what year? Answer within 3 years.

* Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - Landlocked Countries

In each case, name the country. """All are landlocked""".

1. It """is""" bordered by Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, and Peru.

2. It """is""" bordered by Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, Kosovo, and Serbia.

3. Two countries """are""" each bordered only by China and India.
Name *either*.

4. It """is""" bordered by Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,
Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan.

5. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
the previous question. Hmorxvfgna """vf""" bar bs bayl gjb "qbhoyl
ynaqybpxrq pbhagevrf", gung vf, pbhagevrf gung ner fheebhaqrq
rkpyhfviryl ol bgure ynaqybpxrq pbhagevrf. Juvpu Rhebcrna
pbhagel vf gur bgure bar?

6. The """newest""" landlocked country is this African country that
gained its independence only in 2011.

7. This African country """is""" the most populous of the world's
landlocked nations, with """86,000,000""" inhabitants.

8. The largest landlocked country by area """is""" the 9th-largest of
all countries. It straddles Central Asia and Eastern Europe.

9. The world's smallest landlocked country """is""" Vatican City.
What """is""" the next-smallest?

10. What """is""" the world's wealthiest landlocked nation, as measured
by per capita gross national income?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I'm not entirely convinced 115 is prime."
msb@vex.net | --Patrick Hamlyn

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countries

<XnsAFF8D1AC081FFYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5549&group=rec.games.trivia#5549

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 20:36:41 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 2 May 2023 18:36 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 4 - Sports - Boating
>
> 5. What is the speed of 1 nautical mile per hour called?

Knot

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - Landlocked Countries
>
> In each case, name the country. """All are landlocked""".
>
> 1. It """is""" bordered by Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, and Peru.
Bolivia

But, ah, it wasn't, and they still not have come over it.

> 2. It """is""" bordered by Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, Kosovo, and Serbia.

North Macedonia

> 3. Two countries """are""" each bordered only by China and India.
> Name *either*.

Nepal and Bhutan
> 4. It """is""" bordered by Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,
> Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan.

Uzbekistan
> 5. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> the previous question. Hmorxvfgna """vf""" bar bs bayl gjb "qbhoyl
> ynaqybpxrq pbhagevrf", gung vf, pbhagevrf gung ner fheebhaqrq
> rkpyhfviryl ol bgure ynaqybpxrq pbhagevrf. Juvpu Rhebcrna
> pbhagel vf gur bgure bar?

Liechtenstein
> 6. The """newest""" landlocked country is this African country that
> gained its independence only in 2011.

South Sudan
> 7. This African country """is""" the most populous of the world's
> landlocked nations, with """86,000,000""" inhabitants.

Ethiopia

It had a coast not too long ago, but they seem to have come over it.
> 8. The largest landlocked country by area """is""" the 9th-largest of
> all countries. It straddles Central Asia and Eastern Europe.

Kazakhstan
> 9. The world's smallest landlocked country """is""" Vatican City.
> What """is""" the next-smallest?

San Marino
> 10. What """is""" the world's wealthiest landlocked nation, as measured
> by per capita gross national income?

Luxemburg

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countries

<u2s3nl$cmp$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5550&group=rec.games.trivia#5550

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 22:44:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 2 May 2023 22:44 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Sports - Boating

> 1. A small flag, typically triangular, flown from the mast or
> from the deck of a powerboat to indicate yacht club membership
> is called what?

pennant

> 3. What is the term for a rope or line used to raise a sail or
> a spar?

sheet

> 4. Give the name for a large winch with a vertical axis, often
> crank-operated, most often used to wind in anchors.

windlass

> 5. What is the speed of 1 nautical mile per hour called?

knot

> 6. What is the name given to a special type of sail flown from
> the bow of a sailboat when sailing downwind? It fills with
> air similarly to a parachute, and is also often called a kite
> or a chute.

spinnaker

> 9. Which term describes a boat which, when speed increases,
> rises above the water supported by winglike blades in the water,
> greatly increasing efficiency? The inventor, Alexander Graham
> Bell, experimented with this type of boat and a craft of his
> design held the world marine speed record for 10 years.

catamaran

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - Landlocked Countries

> 1. It """is""" bordered by Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, and Peru.

Bolivia

> 2. It """is""" bordered by Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, Kosovo, and Serbia.

North Macedonia

> 3. Two countries """are""" each bordered only by China and India.
> Name *either*.

Nepal

> 4. It """is""" bordered by Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,
> Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan.

Uzbekistan

> 5. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> the previous question. Hmorxvfgna """vf""" bar bs bayl gjb "qbhoyl
> ynaqybpxrq pbhagevrf", gung vf, pbhagevrf gung ner fheebhaqrq
> rkpyhfviryl ol bgure ynaqybpxrq pbhagevrf. Juvpu Rhebcrna
> pbhagel vf gur bgure bar?

Liechtenstein

> 6. The """newest""" landlocked country is this African country that
> gained its independence only in 2011.

South Sudan

> 7. This African country """is""" the most populous of the world's
> landlocked nations, with """86,000,000""" inhabitants.

Ethiopia

> 8. The largest landlocked country by area """is""" the 9th-largest of
> all countries. It straddles Central Asia and Eastern Europe.

Kazakhstan

> 9. The world's smallest landlocked country """is""" Vatican City.
> What """is""" the next-smallest?

Andorra; Liechtenstein

> 10. What """is""" the world's wealthiest landlocked nation, as measured
> by per capita gross national income?

Liechtenstein

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countries

<0bb27aaf-d8a0-4ca2-8468-059e71ec5658n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5551&group=rec.games.trivia#5551

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 20:39:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 3 May 2023 03:39 UTC

On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 12:58:50 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Sports - Boating
>
> 5. What is the speed of 1 nautical mile per hour called?

1 knot
> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - Landlocked Countries
>
> In each case, name the country. """All are landlocked""".
>
> 1. It """is""" bordered by Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, and Peru.

Bolivia
> 2. It """is""" bordered by Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, Kosovo, and Serbia.

North Macedonia

> 3. Two countries """are""" each bordered only by China and India.
> Name *either*.

Nepal

> 4. It """is""" bordered by Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,
> Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan.

Uzbekistan

> 5. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> the previous question. Hmorxvfgna """vf""" bar bs bayl gjb "qbhoyl
> ynaqybpxrq pbhagevrf", gung vf, pbhagevrf gung ner fheebhaqrq
> rkpyhfviryl ol bgure ynaqybpxrq pbhagevrf. Juvpu Rhebcrna
> pbhagel vf gur bgure bar?

Liechtenstein

> 6. The """newest""" landlocked country is this African country that
> gained its independence only in 2011.

South Sudan

> 7. This African country """is""" the most populous of the world's
> landlocked nations, with """86,000,000""" inhabitants.

Ethiopia

> 8. The largest landlocked country by area """is""" the 9th-largest of
> all countries. It straddles Central Asia and Eastern Europe.

Kazakhstan

> 9. The world's smallest landlocked country """is""" Vatican City.
> What """is""" the next-smallest?

San Marino

> 10. What """is""" the world's wealthiest landlocked nation, as measured
> by per capita gross national income?

Luxembourg

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countries

<u2tj91$19b4k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5552&group=rec.games.trivia#5552

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 05:15:26 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 3 May 2023 12:15 UTC

On 5/2/23 10:58, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Sports - Boating
>
> 1. A small flag, typically triangular, flown from the mast or
> from the deck of a powerboat to indicate yacht club membership
> is called what?

penant

> 2. A short rope used for fastening something or securing rigging,
> or a cord worn around the neck for carrying something (such as
> a whistle) is called what?

lanyard

> 3. What is the term for a rope or line used to raise a sail or
> a spar?

sheet

> 4. Give the name for a large winch with a vertical axis, often
> crank-operated, most often used to wind in anchors.

capstan

> 5. What is the speed of 1 nautical mile per hour called?

knot

> 6. What is the name given to a special type of sail flown from
> the bow of a sailboat when sailing downwind? It fills with
> air similarly to a parachute, and is also often called a kite
> or a chute.

spinnaker

> 7. This type of boat (either outboard or stern drive and typically
> 16-24 feet [5-7.5 m]) has U- or V-shaped bench-type seating in
> front of the operator. It usually has a walk-through to the
> bow via a hinged section of windshield. What is it called?
>
> 8. Usually a high-powered outboard, this V-hulled, low-freeboard
> style of boat has a flat deck (except for where the operator
> sits) for fishermen to walk on, with built-in wells to keep
> bait and live fish. What is the name given to this popular
> style of boat?

bass boat

> 9. Which term describes a boat which, when speed increases,
> rises above the water supported by winglike blades in the water,
> greatly increasing efficiency? The inventor, Alexander Graham
> Bell, experimented with this type of boat and a craft of his
> design held the world marine speed record for 10 years.

hydrofoil

> 10. Stern drive, also called inboard/outboard drive, for power
> boats was introduced commercially at the New York Power Boat
> Show in what year? Answer within 3 years.

1938

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - Landlocked Countries
>
> In each case, name the country. """All are landlocked""".
>
> 1. It """is""" bordered by Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, and Peru.

Bolivia

> 2. It """is""" bordered by Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, Kosovo, and Serbia.

North Macedonia

> 3. Two countries """are""" each bordered only by China and India.
> Name *either*.

Nepal

> 4. It """is""" bordered by Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,
> Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan.

Uzbekistan

> 5. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> the previous question. Hmorxvfgna """vf""" bar bs bayl gjb "qbhoyl
> ynaqybpxrq pbhagevrf", gung vf, pbhagevrf gung ner fheebhaqrq
> rkpyhfviryl ol bgure ynaqybpxrq pbhagevrf. Juvpu Rhebcrna
> pbhagel vf gur bgure bar?

Liechtenstein

> 6. The """newest""" landlocked country is this African country that
> gained its independence only in 2011.

South Sudan

> 7. This African country """is""" the most populous of the world's
> landlocked nations, with """86,000,000""" inhabitants.

Ethiopia

> 8. The largest landlocked country by area """is""" the 9th-largest of
> all countries. It straddles Central Asia and Eastern Europe.

Kazakhstan

> 9. The world's smallest landlocked country """is""" Vatican City.
> What """is""" the next-smallest?

San Marino

> 10. What """is""" the world's wealthiest landlocked nation, as measured
> by per capita gross national income?

Switzerland

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: boating, landlocked countries

<u2v71f$1lgp3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5553&group=rec.games.trivia#5553

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 21:58:53 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 4 May 2023 02:58 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-10,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Sports - Boating
>
> 1. A small flag, typically triangular, flown from the mast or
> from the deck of a powerboat to indicate yacht club membership
> is called what?
>
> 2. A short rope used for fastening something or securing rigging,
> or a cord worn around the neck for carrying something (such as
> a whistle) is called what?

Lanyard

> 3. What is the term for a rope or line used to raise a sail or
> a spar?
>
> 4. Give the name for a large winch with a vertical axis, often
> crank-operated, most often used to wind in anchors.

Grinder

> 5. What is the speed of 1 nautical mile per hour called?

Knot

> 6. What is the name given to a special type of sail flown from
> the bow of a sailboat when sailing downwind? It fills with
> air similarly to a parachute, and is also often called a kite
> or a chute.
>
> 7. This type of boat (either outboard or stern drive and typically
> 16-24 feet [5-7.5 m]) has U- or V-shaped bench-type seating in
> front of the operator. It usually has a walk-through to the
> bow via a hinged section of windshield. What is it called?
>
> 8. Usually a high-powered outboard, this V-hulled, low-freeboard
> style of boat has a flat deck (except for where the operator
> sits) for fishermen to walk on, with built-in wells to keep
> bait and live fish. What is the name given to this popular
> style of boat?
>
> 9. Which term describes a boat which, when speed increases,
> rises above the water supported by winglike blades in the water,
> greatly increasing efficiency? The inventor, Alexander Graham
> Bell, experimented with this type of boat and a craft of his
> design held the world marine speed record for 10 years.

Airfoil

> 10. Stern drive, also called inboard/outboard drive, for power
> boats was introduced commercially at the New York Power Boat
> Show in what year? Answer within 3 years.

1905; 1898

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - Landlocked Countries
>
> In each case, name the country. """All are landlocked""".
>
> 1. It """is""" bordered by Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, and Peru.

Bolivia

> 2. It """is""" bordered by Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, Kosovo, and Serbia.

North Macedonia

> 3. Two countries """are""" each bordered only by China and India.
> Name *either*.

Nepal

> 4. It """is""" bordered by Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,
> Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan.

Uzbekistan

> 5. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> the previous question. Hmorxvfgna """vf""" bar bs bayl gjb "qbhoyl
> ynaqybpxrq pbhagevrf", gung vf, pbhagevrf gung ner fheebhaqrq
> rkpyhfviryl ol bgure ynaqybpxrq pbhagevrf. Juvpu Rhebcrna
> pbhagel vf gur bgure bar?

Liechtenstein

> 6. The """newest""" landlocked country is this African country that
> gained its independence only in 2011.

South Sudan

> 7. This African country """is""" the most populous of the world's
> landlocked nations, with """86,000,000""" inhabitants.

Sudan

> 8. The largest landlocked country by area """is""" the 9th-largest of
> all countries. It straddles Central Asia and Eastern Europe.

Kazakhstan

> 9. The world's smallest landlocked country """is""" Vatican City.
> What """is""" the next-smallest?

San Marino

> 10. What """is""" the world's wealthiest landlocked nation, as measured
> by per capita gross national income?

Switzerland

Pete Gayde

RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: boating, landlocked countries

<QqCcnecLYav-S8j5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5554&group=rec.games.trivia#5554

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: boating, landlocked countries
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 04:24:03 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 6 May 2023 04:24 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-10,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Sports - Boating

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. A small flag, typically triangular, flown from the mast or
> from the deck of a powerboat to indicate yacht club membership
> is called what?

Burgee.

> 2. A short rope used for fastening something or securing rigging,
> or a cord worn around the neck for carrying something (such as
> a whistle) is called what?

Lanyard. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 3. What is the term for a rope or line used to raise a sail or
> a spar?

Halyard.

> 4. Give the name for a large winch with a vertical axis, often
> crank-operated, most often used to wind in anchors.

Capstan. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 5. What is the speed of 1 nautical mile per hour called?

1 knot. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 6. What is the name given to a special type of sail flown from
> the bow of a sailboat when sailing downwind? It fills with
> air similarly to a parachute, and is also often called a kite
> or a chute.

Spinnaker. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 7. This type of boat (either outboard or stern drive and typically
> 16-24 feet [5-7.5 m]) has U- or V-shaped bench-type seating in
> front of the operator. It usually has a walk-through to the
> bow via a hinged section of windshield. What is it called?

Bowrider.

> 8. Usually a high-powered outboard, this V-hulled, low-freeboard
> style of boat has a flat deck (except for where the operator
> sits) for fishermen to walk on, with built-in wells to keep
> bait and live fish. What is the name given to this popular
> style of boat?

Bass boat. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. Which term describes a boat which, when speed increases,
> rises above the water supported by winglike blades in the water,
> greatly increasing efficiency? The inventor, Alexander Graham
> Bell, experimented with this type of boat and a craft of his
> design held the world marine speed record for 10 years.

Hydrofoil. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 10. Stern drive, also called inboard/outboard drive, for power
> boats was introduced commercially at the New York Power Boat
> Show in what year? Answer within 3 years.

1959 (accepting 1956-62).

Yeah, I never knew either. Nobody guessed within 20 years.

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - Landlocked Countries

> In each case, name the country. """All are landlocked""".

Except as noted, nothing here has changed since the original game.

> 1. It """is""" bordered by Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, and Peru.

Bolivia. 4 for everyone.

> 2. It """is""" bordered by Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, Kosovo, and Serbia.

Macedonia, now North Macedonia. 4 for everyone.

> 3. Two countries """are""" each bordered only by China and India.
> Name *either*.

Bhutan, Nepal. 4 for Erland (the hard way), Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. It """is""" bordered by Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,
> Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan.

Uzbekistan. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> the previous question. Uzbekistan """is""" one of only two "doubly
> landlocked countries", that is, countries that are surrounded
> exclusively by other landlocked countries. Which European
> country is the other one?

Liechtenstein. 4 for everyone.

> 6. The """newest""" landlocked country is this African country that
> gained its independence only in 2011.

South Sudan. 4 for everyone.

> 7. This African country """is""" the most populous of the world's
> landlocked nations, with """86,000,000""" inhabitants.

Ethiopia (landlocked since the independence of Eritrea in 1993;
now about 110-120 million). 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

Sudan is significantly less populous and has coast on the Red Sea.

> 8. The largest landlocked country by area """is""" the 9th-largest of
> all countries. It straddles Central Asia and Eastern Europe.

Kazakhstan. 4 for everyone.

The wrong guesses in 2014 were all *much* smaller.

> 9. The world's smallest landlocked country """is""" Vatican City.
> What """is""" the next-smallest?

San Marino. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

In the original game the expected answer was Andorra, which actually
ranks fourth! Liechtenstein is third-smallest.

> 10. What """is""" the world's wealthiest landlocked nation, as measured
> by per capita gross national income?

Luxembourg. 4 for Erland and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Sci Spo Geo
Dan Tilque 24 0 24 36 84
Joshua Kreitzer 40 0 4 40 84
Pete Gayde 24 19 8 32 83
Dan Blum 28 8 8 32 76
Erland Sommarskog 0 12 4 40 56

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If you wish so, we write your consummations
msb@vex.net | on your bill." --Swiss hotel services handbook