If it wasn't for Newton, we wouldn't have to eat bruised apples.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2Mark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2Joshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2Erland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2Dan Blum
+* QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2swp
|`* QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2Mark Brader
| `* QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2swp
|  `- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2Mark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2Pete Gayde
+- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2Dan Tilque
`- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2 answersMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2

<gfqdnffFMtgL6I_4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5594&group=rec.games.trivia#5594

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 06:09:26 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 06:09 UTC

Now begins the Current Events game from the Usual Suspects' season
(indicated by QFTCI and the year but without a team abbreviation).

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events

1. The federal government has ordered Rogers to provide BCE and
Telus access to its TTC wireless network by what date?

2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
of their 75-year-old front man?

3. In which city did the federal Liberals hold their recent
caucus retreat?

4. Which Canadian MP testified before a US Congressional committee
last week on the topic of foreign interference in the political
process?

5. Last week Apple unveiled the iPhone 15, but around the same time,
which country ordered the company to stop distributing the
iPhone 12 because of alleged high radiation emissions?

6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
perhaps uncomfortable reunion.

7. Last week a Canadian bank effectively gave up its attempt to put
itself up for sale with the end of a strategic review.
Which bank?

8. The Toronto Blue Jays' run for a playoff spot was dealt a severe
blow last week by a 4-game sweep at the Rogers Centre at the
hands of which opponent?

9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.

10. Which Canadian newspaper chain is headed into bankruptcy
protection, leading to 70 weekly papers becoming digital-only?

* Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Who is the *subject* of the film that won the *People's Choice
documentary award* at TIFF this year?

2. Who was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board
of directors for comments that appeared to disparage black and
female musicians?

3. Mike Babcock resigned as coach of his latest (and perhaps last)
NHL team, before a single game was played this season.
Which team? (City or team name.)

4. The former CEO of which Canadian corporation is returning to
the job following the resignations of the most recent CEO and
the president, and turmoil in the board of directors?

5. The Superior Court of Ontario dismissed a Charter challenge
last week to the laws governing what activity?

6. Name the Sikh activist whose murder in June in Surrey, BC,
has been attributed to agents of the government of India.

7. Which media mogul announced his retirement last week, turning
over his businesses to his son Lachlan?

8. The Ontario provincial cabinet lost two more ministers last
week, one in the fallout from the Greenbelt scandal, the other
for personal reasons. Name either ex-minister.

9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
of equipment last week?

10. Why did the TTC invite people to a celebration on Saturday
afternoon?

--
Mark Brader "Relax -- I know the procedures backwards."
Toronto "Yeah, well, that's a quick way to get killed."

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2

<47cd5385-df9e-4fc0-a679-8c2482d148c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5595&group=rec.games.trivia#5595

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 06:35:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 13:35 UTC

On Tuesday, September 26, 2023 at 1:09:37 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
> restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
> Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
> perhaps uncomfortable reunion.

"Stop Making Sense"
> * Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Who was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board
> of directors for comments that appeared to disparage black and
> female musicians?

Jann Wenner

> 7. Which media mogul announced his retirement last week, turning
> over his businesses to his son Lachlan?

Rupert Murdoch
> 9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
> of equipment last week?

an airplane
--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2

<XnsB08BCD77A7888Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5597&group=rec.games.trivia#5597

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 20:11:53 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:11 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The federal government has ordered Rogers to provide BCE and
> Telus access to its TTC wireless network by what date?

2024-01-01
> 2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
> stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
> of their 75-year-old front man?

Aerosmith
> 5. Last week Apple unveiled the iPhone 15, but around the same time,
> which country ordered the company to stop distributing the
> iPhone 12 because of alleged high radiation emissions?

China
> 6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
> restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
> Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
> perhaps uncomfortable reunion.

Stop Making Sense
> 9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
> that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.

Daniel

(OK, that was elsewhere, but Daniel did cause quite som mess.)
> * Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. Mike Babcock resigned as coach of his latest (and perhaps last)
> NHL team, before a single game was played this season.
> Which team? (City or team name.)

Carolina Hurricanes?
> 7. Which media mogul announced his retirement last week, turning
> over his businesses to his son Lachlan?

Rupert Murdoch
> 9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
> of equipment last week?

An F-25 airplane
> 10. Why did the TTC invite people to a celebration on Saturday
> afternoon?

All trains had been on time for the whole working week!

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2

<uevmcm$69s$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5598&group=rec.games.trivia#5598

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 22:36:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 22:36 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
> stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
> of their 75-year-old front man?

Rush

> 6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
> restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
> Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
> perhaps uncomfortable reunion.

Stop Making Sense

> 9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
> that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.

Lee

> * Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. Who was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board
> of directors for comments that appeared to disparage black and
> female musicians?

Wenner

> 9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
> of equipment last week?

F-35

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2

<6865b9d8-6c32-4a79-8a0e-5e0cff6d9ff8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5599&group=rec.games.trivia#5599

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:14:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 23:14 UTC

On Tuesday, September 26, 2023 at 2:09:37 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Now begins the Current Events game from the Usual Suspects' season
> (indicated by QFTCI and the year but without a team abbreviation).

these are confusing times we live in

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
> the answers that were correct on that date.

ah yes, I remember September 18th like it was just last week.

> Please post all your answers in a single follow up to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.

'follow up' is two words, not one. it's mentally exhausting to have to correct this each time, even if just in my own head. it's our job to mentally exhaust Mark not the other way around.

> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".

as always, I will guess which ones you wrote. and be wrong 90% of the time which is why I never say which out loud.

> * Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The federal government has ordered Rogers to provide BCE and
> Telus access to its TTC wireless network by what date?

october 3rd [because it's a week from today]

> 2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
> stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
> of their 75-year-old front man?

aerosmith

> 3. In which city did the federal Liberals hold their recent
> caucus retreat?

london [the canadian one not the british one]

> 4. Which Canadian MP testified before a US Congressional committee
> last week on the topic of foreign interference in the political
> process?

mike chong

> 5. Last week Apple unveiled the iPhone 15, but around the same time,
> which country ordered the company to stop distributing the
> iPhone 12 because of alleged high radiation emissions?

france

> 6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
> restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
> Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
> perhaps uncomfortable reunion.

stop making sense

> 7. Last week a Canadian bank effectively gave up its attempt to put
> itself up for sale with the end of a strategic review.
> Which bank?

brader federal savings bank

> 8. The Toronto Blue Jays' run for a playoff spot was dealt a severe
> blow last week by a 4-game sweep at the Rogers Centre at the
> hands of which opponent?

texas rangers [followed by a 5 game win streak]

> 9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
> that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.

lee [not named after stan]

> 10. Which Canadian newspaper chain is headed into bankruptcy
> protection, leading to 70 weekly papers becoming digital-only?

all of them

> * Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Who is the *subject* of the film that won the *People's Choice
> documentary award* at TIFF this year?

ernie coombs

> 2. Who was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board
> of directors for comments that appeared to disparage black and
> female musicians?

jan wenner [cofounder of rolling stone]

> 3. Mike Babcock resigned as coach of his latest (and perhaps last)
> NHL team, before a single game was played this season.
> Which team? (City or team name.)

colombus blue jackets

> 4. The former CEO of which Canadian corporation is returning to
> the job following the resignations of the most recent CEO and
> the president, and turmoil in the board of directors?

heather reisman [of indigo books and music]

> 5. The Superior Court of Ontario dismissed a Charter challenge
> last week to the laws governing what activity?

sex

> 6. Name the Sikh activist whose murder in June in Surrey, BC,
> has been attributed to agents of the government of India.

kumar ; sharma

> 7. Which media mogul announced his retirement last week, turning
> over his businesses to his son Lachlan?

murdoch [not the macgyver villain. or is he?]

> 8. The Ontario provincial cabinet lost two more ministers last
> week, one in the fallout from the Greenbelt scandal, the other
> for personal reasons. Name either ex-minister.

johnson ; africa

> 9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
> of equipment last week?

f-35 fighter jet

> 10. Why did the TTC invite people to a celebration on Saturday
> afternoon?

line 3 is now closed [this has nothing to do with a recent question about line colors, but that did contribute to this guess]

> --
> Mark Brader "Relax -- I know the procedures backwards."
> Toronto "Yeah, well, that's a quick way to get killed."
> m...@vex.net -- Chris Boucher, STAR COPS
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who is watching the Cubs/braves game preshow and wondering if atlanta will let the Cubs win so the weaker team in a very tight playoff race gets in

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2

<2CudnTfx84Po7I74nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5600&group=rec.games.trivia#5600

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 00:04:05 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 00:04 UTC

Mark Brader (allegedly):
> > ...Please post all your answers in a single follow up to the newsgroup,

Stephen Perry:
> 'follow up' is two words, not one.

So it is, but I wrote "followup", the noun, which is one word, and
Stephen is misquoting me above.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I tried to hit Bjarne Stroustrup with a snowball,
msb@vex.net | but missed." --Clive Feather

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2

<3ef5eb49-715d-4c6b-997d-2fbb374dd608n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5601&group=rec.games.trivia#5601

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 19:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 02:16 UTC

On Tuesday, September 26, 2023 at 8:04:15 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader (allegedly):
> > > ...Please post all your answers in a single follow up to the newsgroup,
>
> Stephen Perry:
> > 'follow up' is two words, not one.
> So it is, but I wrote "followup", the noun, which is one word, and
> Stephen is misquoting me above.
> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "I tried to hit Bjarne Stroustrup with a snowball,
> m...@vex.net | but missed." --Clive Feather

my google search shows the noun as a hyphenated word. but that's just me trying to mentally exhaust Mark.

and per my 8th grade yearbook quote, bad analogies are like corn.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2

<bdWcnT9yq9GqJ474nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5602&group=rec.games.trivia#5602

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 05:14:31 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 05:14 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > ...I wrote "followup", the noun, which is one word...

Stephen Perry:
> my google search shows the noun as a hyphenated word.

It can be that too. Hyphens tend to disappear over time.

> but that's just me trying to mentally exhaust Mark.

I don't much care what you do mentally. :-)
> and per my 8th grade yearbook quote, bad analogies are like corn.

See below.
--
Mark Brader | "One must scythe the thickets of metaphor
Toronto | if one wishes to harvest the grain of reason."

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2

<uf199h$33e8i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5603&group=rec.games.trivia#5603

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 08:04:48 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:04 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> Now begins the Current Events game from the Usual Suspects' season
> (indicated by QFTCI and the year but without a team abbreviation).
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
> the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The federal government has ordered Rogers to provide BCE and
> Telus access to its TTC wireless network by what date?
>
> 2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
> stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
> of their 75-year-old front man?
>
> 3. In which city did the federal Liberals hold their recent
> caucus retreat?
>
> 4. Which Canadian MP testified before a US Congressional committee
> last week on the topic of foreign interference in the political
> process?
>
> 5. Last week Apple unveiled the iPhone 15, but around the same time,
> which country ordered the company to stop distributing the
> iPhone 12 because of alleged high radiation emissions?

Australia

> 6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
> restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
> Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
> perhaps uncomfortable reunion.
>
> 7. Last week a Canadian bank effectively gave up its attempt to put
> itself up for sale with the end of a strategic review.
> Which bank?
>
> 8. The Toronto Blue Jays' run for a playoff spot was dealt a severe
> blow last week by a 4-game sweep at the Rogers Centre at the
> hands of which opponent?

Houston; Seattle

> 9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
> that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.
>
> 10. Which Canadian newspaper chain is headed into bankruptcy
> protection, leading to 70 weekly papers becoming digital-only?
>

> * Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Who is the *subject* of the film that won the *People's Choice
> documentary award* at TIFF this year?
>
> 2. Who was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board
> of directors for comments that appeared to disparage black and
> female musicians?

Wenner

> 3. Mike Babcock resigned as coach of his latest (and perhaps last)
> NHL team, before a single game was played this season.
> Which team? (City or team name.)

Columbus; Nashville

> 4. The former CEO of which Canadian corporation is returning to
> the job following the resignations of the most recent CEO and
> the president, and turmoil in the board of directors?
>
> 5. The Superior Court of Ontario dismissed a Charter challenge
> last week to the laws governing what activity?
>
> 6. Name the Sikh activist whose murder in June in Surrey, BC,
> has been attributed to agents of the government of India.
>
> 7. Which media mogul announced his retirement last week, turning
> over his businesses to his son Lachlan?

Rupert Murdoch

> 8. The Ontario provincial cabinet lost two more ministers last
> week, one in the fallout from the Greenbelt scandal, the other
> for personal reasons. Name either ex-minister.
>
> 9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
> of equipment last week?

Jet plane

> 10. Why did the TTC invite people to a celebration on Saturday
> afternoon?

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2

<uf5388$3tjsh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5609&group=rec.games.trivia#5609

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:46:16 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 23:46 UTC

On 9/25/23 23:09, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The federal government has ordered Rogers to provide BCE and
> Telus access to its TTC wireless network by what date?
>
> 2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
> stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
> of their 75-year-old front man?

Rolling Stones

(total WAG)

> 3. In which city did the federal Liberals hold their recent
> caucus retreat?
>
> 4. Which Canadian MP testified before a US Congressional committee
> last week on the topic of foreign interference in the political
> process?
>
> 5. Last week Apple unveiled the iPhone 15, but around the same time,
> which country ordered the company to stop distributing the
> iPhone 12 because of alleged high radiation emissions?

Japan; S Korea

> 6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
> restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
> Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
> perhaps uncomfortable reunion.

This is Spinal Tap

> 7. Last week a Canadian bank effectively gave up its attempt to put
> itself up for sale with the end of a strategic review.
> Which bank?
>
> 8. The Toronto Blue Jays' run for a playoff spot was dealt a severe
> blow last week by a 4-game sweep at the Rogers Centre at the
> hands of which opponent?
>
> 9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
> that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.

Ophelia

> 10. Which Canadian newspaper chain is headed into bankruptcy
> protection, leading to 70 weekly papers becoming digital-only?
>

> * Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Who is the *subject* of the film that won the *People's Choice
> documentary award* at TIFF this year?
>
> 2. Who was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board
> of directors for comments that appeared to disparage black and
> female musicians?
>
> 3. Mike Babcock resigned as coach of his latest (and perhaps last)
> NHL team, before a single game was played this season.
> Which team? (City or team name.)
>
> 4. The former CEO of which Canadian corporation is returning to
> the job following the resignations of the most recent CEO and
> the president, and turmoil in the board of directors?
>
> 5. The Superior Court of Ontario dismissed a Charter challenge
> last week to the laws governing what activity?
>
> 6. Name the Sikh activist whose murder in June in Surrey, BC,
> has been attributed to agents of the government of India.
>
> 7. Which media mogul announced his retirement last week, turning
> over his businesses to his son Lachlan?

Najjar

> 8. The Ontario provincial cabinet lost two more ministers last
> week, one in the fallout from the Greenbelt scandal, the other
> for personal reasons. Name either ex-minister.
>
> 9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
> of equipment last week?

F-35

--
Dan Tilque

QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2 answers

<zAydnSCzq8g7wov4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5612&group=rec.games.trivia#5612

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 1-2 answers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 05:24:54 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 05:24 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date... For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1 (2023-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. The federal government has ordered Rogers to provide BCE and
> Telus access to its TTC wireless network by what date?

2023-10-03. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. Which legendary rock band was forced to postpone the Toronto
> stop on their farewell tour because of the vocal cord problems
> of their 75-year-old front man?

Aerosmith. (Steven Tyler.) 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 3. In which city did the federal Liberals hold their recent
> caucus retreat?

London (Ontario). 4 for Stephen.

> 4. Which Canadian MP testified before a US Congressional committee
> last week on the topic of foreign interference in the political
> process?

Michael Chong. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. Last week Apple unveiled the iPhone 15, but around the same time,
> which country ordered the company to stop distributing the
> iPhone 12 because of alleged high radiation emissions?

France. 4 for Stephen.

> 6. Name the acclaimed 1984 concert *film* that, after a 4K
> restoration, was shown at the recent Toronto International
> Film Festival, also bringing together the band for a rare and
> perhaps uncomfortable reunion.

"Stop Making Sense". (The band: Talking Heads.) 4 for Joshua,
Erland, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 7. Last week a Canadian bank effectively gave up its attempt to put
> itself up for sale with the end of a strategic review.
> Which bank?

Laurentian Bank.

> 8. The Toronto Blue Jays' run for a playoff spot was dealt a severe
> blow last week by a 4-game sweep at the Rogers Centre at the
> hands of which opponent?

Texas Rangers. (Either word is sufficient.) 4 for Stephen.

> 9. Name the hurricane, by then downgraded to a post-tropical storm,
> that hit the Atlantic provinces on the weekend.

Lee. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 10. Which Canadian newspaper chain is headed into bankruptcy
> protection, leading to 70 weekly papers becoming digital-only?

Metroland.

(Not Nordstar -- that's the parent company, which also owns the
Toronto Star.)

> * Game 2 (2023-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Who is the *subject* of the film that won the *People's Choice
> documentary award* at TIFF this year?

Mr. Dressup -- Ernie Coombs (accepting either). 4 for Stephen.

> 2. Who was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board
> of directors for comments that appeared to disparage black and
> female musicians?

Jann Wenner. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> 3. Mike Babcock resigned as coach of his latest (and perhaps last)
> NHL team, before a single game was played this season.
> Which team? (City or team name.)

Columbus Blue Jackets. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 4. The former CEO of which Canadian corporation is returning to
> the job following the resignations of the most recent CEO and
> the president, and turmoil in the board of directors?

Indigo. Stephen knew it but answered the wrong question.

> 5. The Superior Court of Ontario dismissed a Charter challenge
> last week to the laws governing what activity?

Sex work (prostitution). "Sex" was not specific enough.

> 6. Name the Sikh activist whose murder in June in Surrey, BC,
> has been attributed to agents of the government of India.

Hardeep Singh *Nijjar*.

> 7. Which media mogul announced his retirement last week, turning
> over his businesses to his son Lachlan?

Rupert Murdoch. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Stephen, and Pete.

Dan_Tilque said "Najjar", as if he meant to give that answer on #6.

> 8. The Ontario provincial cabinet lost two more ministers last
> week, one in the fallout from the Greenbelt scandal, the other
> for personal reasons. Name either ex-minister.

Monte McNaughton, Kaleed Rasheed.

(Not Steve Clark: he left a couple of weeks ago.)

> 9. The US Marine Corps temporarily lost track of what large piece
> of equipment last week?

An F-35 fighter jet. (Any reference to a plane was sufficient.)
4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Why did the TTC invite people to a celebration on Saturday
> afternoon?

To say goodbye to the Scarborough RT (lately named Line 3
Scarborough) after 38 years of operation. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 TOTALS
Stephen Perry 32 24 56
Dan Blum 8 8 16
Joshua Kreitzer 4 12 16
Erland Sommarskog 8 8 16
Pete Gayde 0 15 15
Dan Tilque 0 4 4

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I'm not entirely convinced 115 is prime."
msb@vex.net | --Patrick Hamlyn