Try to value useful qualities in one who loves you.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ parts

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ partsMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ partsDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ partsDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ partsPete Gayde
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ partsswp
`- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: shoes, organ partsMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ parts

<wJOdnev2TqzooIf4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5618&group=rec.games.trivia#5618

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ parts
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 03:48:05 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 03:48 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by# members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

#- Or in some cases by arrangement with, but I won't
repeat this clarification on future question sets.

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 1, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Shoes

Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g1r2/shoe.pdf

In each case, name the type of shoe (or shoe part) indicated by the
picture and the clue. Please note that the picture numbers are to
the lower left of the images.

1. Let's start with the enormous, thin heel in picture 13.

2. In picture 2, what is the girlish name for this closed, low-cut
shoe with a strap across the instep?

3. In picture 6, what name is given to this relatively low
stiletto-style heel?

4. What is the shoe in 8, characterized by a heel that is completely
(or almost completely) filled in beneath the arch?

5. What is the generic name for the shoe in picture 1, where the
salient feature is an open back and a strap behind the ankle?

6. The shoe in picture 14 might be called a court shoe in Britain,
though the late singer Amy Winehouse sang about a pair of
them using the more familiar North American name in a risqué
combination. They have a low front, relatively low heel,
and may have a buckle or bow.

7. A perforated leather men's shoe is a brogue. But what name is
given to the specific style of perforations in picture 3,
with a W-shaped design over the toe?

8. What is the backless shoe in picture 11, a style which may or
may not be open at the toe?

9. What is the two-tone shoe in picture 5, wearable by any gender,
characterized by the plain toe and distinctive dark panel shape
over the mid-foot?

10. The shoes in 7 are characterized by a very low heel or the
absence of a heel.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh pnyyrq
gur fubr jvgu n svyyrq-va urry n "cyngsbez" fubr, cyrnfr tb onpx
naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

* Game 1, Round 3 - Science - Organ Parts

For each question, we have an organ of the human body in mind;
we'll name a part of it; and you'll name the organ. For example,
if we said the cricoid cartilage, you'd name the larynx. We will
always speak in the singular, but some of these occur more than
once in the organ.

1. Nephron.
2. Vitreous or vitreous humor.
3. Corpus cavernosum.
4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.
5. Cochlea.
6. Phalanx.
7. Alveolus.
8. Duodenum.
9. Occipital lobe.
10. Islet of Langerhans.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
"unaq" be "sbbg" sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr or zber fcrpvsvp.

--
Mark Brader | "I do have an idea ... based on the quite obvious fact
Toronto | that the number two is ridiculous and can't exist."

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ parts

<ufdmaq$2q8mf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5619&group=rec.games.trivia#5619

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ parts
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 23:00:56 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 06:00 UTC

On 10/1/23 20:48, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Shoes
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g1r2/shoe.pdf
>
> In each case, name the type of shoe (or shoe part) indicated by the
> picture and the clue. Please note that the picture numbers are to
> the lower left of the images.
>
> 1. Let's start with the enormous, thin heel in picture 13.

stiletto

> 2. In picture 2, what is the girlish name for this closed, low-cut
> shoe with a strap across the instep?

Mary Janes

> 3. In picture 6, what name is given to this relatively low
> stiletto-style heel?
>
> 4. What is the shoe in 8, characterized by a heel that is completely
> (or almost completely) filled in beneath the arch?

platforms

(damn if I know what the more specific answer is)

> 5. What is the generic name for the shoe in picture 1, where the
> salient feature is an open back and a strap behind the ankle?
>
> 6. The shoe in picture 14 might be called a court shoe in Britain,
> though the late singer Amy Winehouse sang about a pair of
> them using the more familiar North American name in a risqué
> combination. They have a low front, relatively low heel,
> and may have a buckle or bow.
>
> 7. A perforated leather men's shoe is a brogue. But what name is
> given to the specific style of perforations in picture 3,
> with a W-shaped design over the toe?

wingtips

> 8. What is the backless shoe in picture 11, a style which may or
> may not be open at the toe?

sandal

> 9. What is the two-tone shoe in picture 5, wearable by any gender,
> characterized by the plain toe and distinctive dark panel shape
> over the mid-foot?

Oxfords

> 10. The shoes in 7 are characterized by a very low heel or the
> absence of a heel.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh pnyyrq
> gur fubr jvgu n svyyrq-va urry n "cyngsbez" fubr, cyrnfr tb onpx
> naq or zber fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Science - Organ Parts
>
> For each question, we have an organ of the human body in mind;
> we'll name a part of it; and you'll name the organ. For example,
> if we said the cricoid cartilage, you'd name the larynx. We will
> always speak in the singular, but some of these occur more than
> once in the organ.
>
> 1. Nephron.
> 2. Vitreous or vitreous humor.

eye

> 3. Corpus cavernosum.
> 4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.

skin

> 5. Cochlea.

ear

> 6. Phalanx.

finger

> 7. Alveolus.

lung

> 8. Duodenum.

stomach

> 9. Occipital lobe.

brain

> 10. Islet of Langerhans.

pancreas

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "unaq" be "sbbg" sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr or zber fcrpvsvp.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ parts

<uffskt$20p$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5620&group=rec.games.trivia#5620

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 02:01:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 02:01 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Shoes

> 1. Let's start with the enormous, thin heel in picture 13.

stiletto

> 2. In picture 2, what is the girlish name for this closed, low-cut
> shoe with a strap across the instep?

Mary Jane

> 5. What is the generic name for the shoe in picture 1, where the
> salient feature is an open back and a strap behind the ankle?

ankle-strap wedgie

> 6. The shoe in picture 14 might be called a court shoe in Britain,
> though the late singer Amy Winehouse sang about a pair of
> them using the more familiar North American name in a risqu?
> combination. They have a low front, relatively low heel,
> and may have a buckle or bow.

pumps

> 9. What is the two-tone shoe in picture 5, wearable by any gender,
> characterized by the plain toe and distinctive dark panel shape
> over the mid-foot?

saddle shoe

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Science - Organ Parts

> 1. Nephron.

kidney

> 2. Vitreous or vitreous humor.

eyeball

> 3. Corpus cavernosum.

brain

> 4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.

skin

> 5. Cochlea.

ear

> 7. Alveolus.

lung

> 8. Duodenum.

small intestine

> 9. Occipital lobe.

brain

> 10. Islet of Langerhans.

pancreas

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ parts

<ufi9rr$3q50m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5622&group=rec.games.trivia#5622

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 18:58:50 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 23:58 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by# members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>
> #- Or in some cases by arrangement with, but I won't
> repeat this clarification on future question sets.
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Shoes
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g1r2/shoe.pdf
>
> In each case, name the type of shoe (or shoe part) indicated by the
> picture and the clue. Please note that the picture numbers are to
> the lower left of the images.
>
> 1. Let's start with the enormous, thin heel in picture 13.
>
> 2. In picture 2, what is the girlish name for this closed, low-cut
> shoe with a strap across the instep?

Pump

> 3. In picture 6, what name is given to this relatively low
> stiletto-style heel?
>
> 4. What is the shoe in 8, characterized by a heel that is completely
> (or almost completely) filled in beneath the arch?
>
> 5. What is the generic name for the shoe in picture 1, where the
> salient feature is an open back and a strap behind the ankle?
>
> 6. The shoe in picture 14 might be called a court shoe in Britain,
> though the late singer Amy Winehouse sang about a pair of
> them using the more familiar North American name in a risqué
> combination. They have a low front, relatively low heel,
> and may have a buckle or bow.
>
> 7. A perforated leather men's shoe is a brogue. But what name is
> given to the specific style of perforations in picture 3,
> with a W-shaped design over the toe?
>
> 8. What is the backless shoe in picture 11, a style which may or
> may not be open at the toe?
>
> 9. What is the two-tone shoe in picture 5, wearable by any gender,
> characterized by the plain toe and distinctive dark panel shape
> over the mid-foot?
>
> 10. The shoes in 7 are characterized by a very low heel or the
> absence of a heel.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh pnyyrq
> gur fubr jvgu n svyyrq-va urry n "cyngsbez" fubr, cyrnfr tb onpx
> naq or zber fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Science - Organ Parts
>
> For each question, we have an organ of the human body in mind;
> we'll name a part of it; and you'll name the organ. For example,
> if we said the cricoid cartilage, you'd name the larynx. We will
> always speak in the singular, but some of these occur more than
> once in the organ.
>
> 1. Nephron.

Liver

> 2. Vitreous or vitreous humor.

Heart; Lungs

> 3. Corpus cavernosum.

Lungs

> 4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.
> 5. Cochlea.

Ear

> 6. Phalanx.
> 7. Alveolus.
> 8. Duodenum.

Intestines

> 9. Occipital lobe.

Brain

> 10. Islet of Langerhans.

Spleen

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "unaq" be "sbbg" sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr or zber fcrpvsvp.

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: shoes, organ parts

<99dc44ef-092e-44dd-b3d3-33ae9a573493n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5624&group=rec.games.trivia#5624

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:11:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 00:11 UTC

On Sunday, October 1, 2023 at 11:48:16 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by# members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>
> #- Or in some cases by arrangement with, but I won't
> repeat this clarification on future question sets.
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Shoes
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g1r2/shoe.pdf
>
> In each case, name the type of shoe (or shoe part) indicated by the
> picture and the clue. Please note that the picture numbers are to
> the lower left of the images.
>
> 1. Let's start with the enormous, thin heel in picture 13.

stiletto

> 2. In picture 2, what is the girlish name for this closed, low-cut
> shoe with a strap across the instep?

mary jane

> 3. In picture 6, what name is given to this relatively low
> stiletto-style heel?

kitten heel

> 4. What is the shoe in 8, characterized by a heel that is completely
> (or almost completely) filled in beneath the arch?

wedge

> 5. What is the generic name for the shoe in picture 1, where the
> salient feature is an open back and a strap behind the ankle?

strap?

> 6. The shoe in picture 14 might be called a court shoe in Britain,
> though the late singer Amy Winehouse sang about a pair of
> them using the more familiar North American name in a risqué
> combination. They have a low front, relatively low heel,
> and may have a buckle or bow.

pump

> 7. A perforated leather men's shoe is a brogue. But what name is
> given to the specific style of perforations in picture 3,
> with a W-shaped design over the toe?

wingtip?

> 8. What is the backless shoe in picture 11, a style which may or
> may not be open at the toe?

pump

> 9. What is the two-tone shoe in picture 5, wearable by any gender,
> characterized by the plain toe and distinctive dark panel shape
> over the mid-foot?

oxford?

> 10. The shoes in 7 are characterized by a very low heel or the
> absence of a heel.

flats

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh pnyyrq
> gur fubr jvgu n svyyrq-va urry n "cyngsbez" fubr, cyrnfr tb onpx
> naq or zber fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Science - Organ Parts
>
> For each question, we have an organ of the human body in mind;
> we'll name a part of it; and you'll name the organ. For example,
> if we said the cricoid cartilage, you'd name the larynx. We will
> always speak in the singular, but some of these occur more than
> once in the organ.
>
> 1. Nephron.

kidney

> 2. Vitreous or vitreous humor.

eye

> 3. Corpus cavernosum.

penis

> 4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.

skin

> 5. Cochlea.

ear

> 6. Phalanx.

fingers ; toes

> 7. Alveolus.

lungs

> 8. Duodenum.

small intestine

> 9. Occipital lobe.

brain

> 10. Islet of Langerhans.

pancreas

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "unaq" be "sbbg" sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr or zber fcrpvsvp.
>
> --
> Mark Brader | "I do have an idea ... based on the quite obvious fact
> Toronto | that the number two is ridiculous and can't exist."
> m...@vex.net | -- Ben Denison (Isaac Asimov, "The Gods Themselves")
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: shoes, organ parts

<Ohadnat5sdaT0oP4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5625&group=rec.games.trivia#5625

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: shoes, organ parts
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 05:52:14 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 05:52 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The science round.

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Shoes

> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g1r2/shoe.pdf

> In each case, name the type of shoe (or shoe part) indicated by the
> picture and the clue. Please note that the picture numbers are to
> the lower left of the images.

> 1. Let's start with the enormous, thin heel in picture 13.

Stiletto. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 2. In picture 2, what is the girlish name for this closed, low-cut
> shoe with a strap across the instep?

Mary Janes. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 3. In picture 6, what name is given to this relatively low
> stiletto-style heel?

Kitten heel. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. What is the shoe in 8, characterized by a heel that is completely
> (or almost completely) filled in beneath the arch?

Wedge or wedgie. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. What is the generic name for the shoe in picture 1, where the
> salient feature is an open back and a strap behind the ankle?

Slingback.

> 6. The shoe in picture 14 might be called a court shoe in Britain,
> though the late singer Amy Winehouse sang about a pair of
> them using the more familiar North American name in a risqué
> combination. They have a low front, relatively low heel,
> and may have a buckle or bow.

Pumps. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 7. A perforated leather men's shoe is a brogue. But what name is
> given to the specific style of perforations in picture 3,
> with a W-shaped design over the toe?

Wingtips. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 8. What is the backless shoe in picture 11, a style which may or
> may not be open at the toe?

Mule. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. What is the two-tone shoe in picture 5, wearable by any gender,
> characterized by the plain toe and distinctive dark panel shape
> over the mid-foot?

Saddle shoe. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 10. The shoes in 7 are characterized by a very low heel or the
> absence of a heel.

Flats. 4 for Stephen.

And the others are: 4, bucks; 9, clogs; 10, hobnailed boots; 12, brogues.

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Science - Organ Parts

> For each question, we have an organ of the human body in mind;
> we'll name a part of it; and you'll name the organ. For example,
> if we said the cricoid cartilage, you'd name the larynx. We will
> always speak in the singular, but some of these occur more than
> once in the organ.

> 1. Nephron.

Kidney. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 2. Vitreous or vitreous humor.

Eye. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 3. Corpus cavernosum.

Penis or clitoris. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. Stratum spinosum or squamous-cell layer.

Skin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 5. Cochlea.

Ear. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete,
and Stephen.

> 6. Phalanx.

Finger or toe. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Stephen (the hard way).

> 7. Alveolus.

Lungs. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 8. Duodenum.

Small intestine (both words required; "intestines" is not an organ).
4 for Dan Blum and Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

> 9. Occipital lobe.

Brain. 4 for everyone.

> 10. Islet of Langerhans.

Pancreas. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Mis Sci
Stephen Perry 28 40 68
Dan Blum 16 32 48
Joshua Kreitzer 12 35 47
Dan Tilque 12 28 40
Pete Gayde 0 8 8

--
Mark Brader "I like to think of [this] as self-explanatory."
Toronto "I hope *I* think of [it] that way."