"First things first -- but not necessarily in that order" -- The Doctor, "Doctor Who"

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakers

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakersMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakersErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakersDan Blum
+- QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge,Dan Tilque
+- QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakersJoshua Kreitzer
+* QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakersswp
|+- QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakersMark Brader
|`- QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakersMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-10 answers: Dr. who?, resurrections challengeMark Brader
+- QFTCIBSI23 Final, TiebreakersMark Brader
`* QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge,Pete Gayde
 `- QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge,Mark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakers

<qJqdnVvm_NNki4j4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5606&group=rec.games.trivia#5606

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 06:02:33 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 06:02 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment - Doctor Who?

In the original game, this was a video round using various movie
and TV clips. Here, I'll present one still image from each video
(and a second one if the first doesn't show who's being spoken to)
and some of the dialogue. In each case, name the doctor featured
in the clip. You must give the *character's* name -- the surname
is required and is sufficient.

1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc1.jpg

"It's not that serious anyway -- she's an actress and she found
out she just has 3 weeks to live."

"Huh?!?"

"No, no, she's an actress on a soap opera and she's had 3 weeks
to live for the past 2 years."

2. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc2.jpg

"Well, jeepers, you're about to witness the world's first
demonstration of fireproof paper. Here is my assistant Beaker,
carrying a lighted blowtorch."

3. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc3.jpg
Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to3.jpg

"Well, it's clear that she died from excessive blood loss,
so I used a hemocytometer to analyze her cells and discovered
that her blood plaque was far below normal levels."

"And blood plaque is a chief factor in blood clotting."

4. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc4.jpg

"Well, you know what, I'm the one with the badge and the gun,
huh? You know, you're not the only forensic anthropologist
in town."

"Yes I am! The next nearest is in Montreal. Parlez-vous
français?"

5. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc5.jpg

"Slow down, sir, you're going to give yourself skin failure.
Okay, now, the symptoms you describe point to bonus eruptus.
Ees a terrible disorder where the skeleton tries to leap out
the mouth and escape the body."

"Now you're talking!"

6. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc6.jpg
Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to6.jpg

"I didn't kill my wife!"

"I don't care!"

7. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc7.jpg
Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to7.jpg

"Now it's possible for you to live with this defect for the rest
of your life without developing a problem, or even if you do,
many people continue to live normal lives for a long time after
the onset of irumodic syndrome."

"If that's so, why do you look as if you just signed my death
sentence?"

8. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc8.jpg
Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to8.jpg

"My understanding from Dr. Cusamano, your family physician, is
that you collapsed, possibly a panic attack. You were unable
to breathe?"

"*They* said it was a panic attack."

9. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc9.jpg
Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to9.jpg

"You wretched slugs. Don't any of you have the guts to fight
for blood?"

"I'm your huckleberry. I kill for my game."

10. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc10.jpg

"We all in critical condition, babies, but you can tell me where
it hurts, because I've got the healing prescription here from
the big 'KRP musical medicine cabinet."

After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh
anzrq Wbua Pneniryyn sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, jr arrq uvf "qbpgbeyl"
fgntr anzr. Cyrnfr tb onpx naq cebivqr vg.

** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Resurrections

A set of resurrection-adjacent questions, designed to keep you
challenged.

Fun fact: Mahler's Symphony #2 in C Minor is known as the
Resurrection Symphony.

* A. Food and Drink

A1. One recipe for this cocktail is two parts cognac, one part
Calvados, and one part Italian vermouth. After a hard night
of drinking, this cocktail is intended "to be taken before
11 am, or whenever steam or energy is needed".

A2. These spicy sweet buns are traditionally eaten on Good
Friday, and symbolize the crucifixion and resurrection.

* B. TV

B1. This "Doctor Who" character accidentally became immortal
courtesy of Rose Tyler and the Time Vortex. He probably
holds the record for number of resurrections, repeatedly
dying and resurrecting while buried underground for 1,874
years. Who?

B2. This character was stabbed to death at the end of season 5
of "Game of Thrones". His resurrection in season 6 came
as a surprise to absolutely no one. Who?

* C. Literature

C1. This author's final novel, "Resurrection", decries the
injustice of man-made laws and the hypocrisy of the church.
Unsurprisingly, this resulted in his excommunication. Who?

C2. Resurrections gone bad are the theme of which 1983 Stephen
King novel?

* D. Movies

D1. Name the woman, born in 1899, who had a successful film
career during the silent era but had almost no movie roles
between 1934 and 1950. Her cinematic career was resurrected
when Billy Wilder cast her as a faded star of the silent era
who desperately hopes for a career resurrection of her own.

D2. Name the man who had a successful career in Hollywood in
the 1930s and '40s but was barely seen on the big screen
for the following 30 years -- until his career was
rejuvenated with a supporting performance as one of the
comically villainous Duke Brothers in "Trading Places",
and an Oscar-winning performance in "Cocoon", where his
character also gets rejuvenated.

* E. Cars

In both cases we need the model, not just the maker.

E1. Originally produced from 1959 to 2000, this car brand was
resurrected by BMW in 2001. The new variant is 34% longer,
43% wider, and 16% taller than the 1959 original.

E2. The original variant of this car, nicknamed "Topolino", was
produced 1936-55. A resurrected version was produced
1957-75. And in 2007, it was resurrected yet again.

* F. History

F1. After losing an election in 1962, this man bemoaned the end
of his political career: "you don't have [me] to kick
around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press
conference". 6 years later, he was giving press conferences
as his country's leader.

F2. Rising from the ashes of the Fascist Party, the MSI became
the AN, which became the PdL, eventually gaining power as
the FdI -- under which leader?

** Final, Tiebreakers

The Irregulars wrote a set of tiebreaker questions in case they were
needed at the Final. These are all numerical questions and the idea
was that whoever came closest to the right answer would win.

In this medium I'll use them successively as tiebreakers if there
is a tie in the regular game (yeah, right), but otherwise I'll
treat the four questions as a separate short game. In that case
I'll award 6 points for the entrant closest to the right answer,
3 points for the second-closest, and 1 point for the third-closest,
and add all four question scores.

Distance are in kilometers to one decimal place.

1. Not counting the original three TV-movies, how many episodes
of "Murdoch Mysteries" have there been, from the series' start
through 2023-04-10?

2. We asked google.ca "what is the distance between Cork, Ireland,
and Waterford, Ireland"? What was the length of the suggested
driving route (via N25)?

3. According to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum,
how many wins did Fergie Jenkins have in his Major League career?

4. We used a couple of online tools to calculate the distance
between Kumasi, Ghana (see Round 8, Question 5), and the
Headquarters of the United Nations. What is that distance?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto |"--", Paul said, and then repeated it for emphasis.
msb@vex.net | --Spider Robinson, "Lifehouse"

Click here to read the complete article
Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakers

<XnsB08DD08576426Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5607&group=rec.games.trivia#5607

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 20:29:54 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 18:29 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Resurrections
>
> E2. The original variant of this car, nicknamed "Topolino", was
> produced 1936-55. A resurrected version was produced
> 1957-75. And in 2007, it was resurrected yet again.

Fiat 500
> * F. History
>
> F1. After losing an election in 1962, this man bemoaned the end
> of his political career: "you don't have [me] to kick
> around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press
> conference". 6 years later, he was giving press conferences
> as his country's leader.

Nixon

> F2. Rising from the ashes of the Fascist Party, the MSI became
> the AN, which became the PdL, eventually gaining power as
> the FdI -- under which leader?

Giorgia Merino, current PM of Italy
> ** Final, Tiebreakers
>
> 1. Not counting the original three TV-movies, how many episodes
> of "Murdoch Mysteries" have there been, from the series' start
> through 2023-04-10?

52
> 2. We asked google.ca "what is the distance between Cork, Ireland,
> and Waterford, Ireland"? What was the length of the suggested
> driving route (via N25)?

225 km
> 3. According to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum,
> how many wins did Fergie Jenkins have in his Major League career?

137
> 4. We used a couple of online tools to calculate the distance
> between Kumasi, Ghana (see Round 8, Question 5), and the
> Headquarters of the United Nations. What is that distance?

8000 km

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakers

<uf4s3n$ka4$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5608&group=rec.games.trivia#5608

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 21:44:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 21:44 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment - Doctor Who?

> 1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc1.jpg

> "It's not that serious anyway -- she's an actress and she found
> out she just has 3 weeks to live."

> "Huh?!?"

> "No, no, she's an actress on a soap opera and she's had 3 weeks
> to live for the past 2 years."

Newhart
(I know, I am hoping the character's name is the same.)

> 2. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc2.jpg

> "Well, jeepers, you're about to witness the world's first
> demonstration of fireproof paper. Here is my assistant Beaker,
> carrying a lighted blowtorch."

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew

> 6. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc6.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to6.jpg

> "I didn't kill my wife!"

> "I don't care!"

Dr. Richard Kimble

> 7. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc7.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to7.jpg

> "Now it's possible for you to live with this defect for the rest
> of your life without developing a problem, or even if you do,
> many people continue to live normal lives for a long time after
> the onset of irumodic syndrome."

> "If that's so, why do you look as if you just signed my death
> sentence?"

Dr. Beverly Crusher

> 9. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc9.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to9.jpg

> "You wretched slugs. Don't any of you have the guts to fight
> for blood?"

> "I'm your huckleberry. I kill for my game."

Holliday

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Resurrections

> * A. Food and Drink

> A2. These spicy sweet buns are traditionally eaten on Good
> Friday, and symbolize the crucifixion and resurrection.

hot cross buns

> * C. Literature

> C2. Resurrections gone bad are the theme of which 1983 Stephen
> King novel?

Pet Sematary

> * D. Movies

> D1. Name the woman, born in 1899, who had a successful film
> career during the silent era but had almost no movie roles
> between 1934 and 1950. Her cinematic career was resurrected
> when Billy Wilder cast her as a faded star of the silent era
> who desperately hopes for a career resurrection of her own.

Gloria Swanson

> * E. Cars

> E1. Originally produced from 1959 to 2000, this car brand was
> resurrected by BMW in 2001. The new variant is 34% longer,
> 43% wider, and 16% taller than the 1959 original.

Mini Cooper

> * F. History

> F1. After losing an election in 1962, this man bemoaned the end
> of his political career: "you don't have [me] to kick
> around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press
> conference". 6 years later, he was giving press conferences
> as his country's leader.

Richard Nixon

> F2. Rising from the ashes of the Fascist Party, the MSI became
> the AN, which became the PdL, eventually gaining power as
> the FdI -- under which leader?

Berlusconi

> ** Final, Tiebreakers

> 1. Not counting the original three TV-movies, how many episodes
> of "Murdoch Mysteries" have there been, from the series' start
> through 2023-04-10?

56

> 2. We asked google.ca "what is the distance between Cork, Ireland,
> and Waterford, Ireland"? What was the length of the suggested
> driving route (via N25)?

123

> 3. According to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum,
> how many wins did Fergie Jenkins have in his Major League career?

234

> 4. We used a couple of online tools to calculate the distance
> between Kumasi, Ghana (see Round 8, Question 5), and the
> Headquarters of the United Nations. What is that distance?

10,001

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakers

<uf54k8$3tu5h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5610&group=rec.games.trivia#5610

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge,
breakers
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 17:09:42 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 00:09 UTC

On 9/27/23 23:02, Mark Brader wrote:
> [...]
> comically villainous Duke Brothers in "Trading Places",
> and an Oscar-winning performance in "Cocoon", where his
> character also gets rejuvenated.
>

> * E. Cars
>
> In both cases we need the model, not just the maker.
>
> E1. Originally produced from 1959 to 2000, this car brand was
> resurrected by BMW in 2001. The new variant is 34% longer,
> 43% wider, and 16% taller than the 1959 original.
>
> E2. The original variant of this car, nicknamed "Topolino", was
> produced 1936-55. A resurrected version was produced
> 1957-75. And in 2007, it was resurrected yet again.
>

> * F. History
>
> F1. After losing an election in 1962, this man bemoaned the end
> of his political career: "you don't have [me] to kick
> around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press
> conference". 6 years later, he was giving press conferences

Richard Nixon

> F2. Rising from the ashes of the Fascist Party, the MSI became
> the AN, which became the PdL, eventually gaining power as
> the FdI -- under which leader?
>

> ** Final, Tiebreakers
>
> The Irregulars wrote a set of tiebreaker questions in case they were
> needed at the Final. These are all numerical questions and the idea
> was that whoever came closest to the right answer would win.
>
> In this medium I'll use them successively as tiebreakers if there
> is a tie in the regular game (yeah, right), but otherwise I'll
> treat the four questions as a separate short game. In that case
> I'll award 6 points for the entrant closest to the right answer,
> 3 points for the second-closest, and 1 point for the third-closest,
> and add all four question scores.
>
> Distance are in kilometers to one decimal place.
>
> 1. Not counting the original three TV-movies, how many episodes
> of "Murdoch Mysteries" have there been, from the series' start
> through 2023-04-10?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakers

<4aac914e-8a71-40ab-82b8-882e3d016f6fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5611&group=rec.games.trivia#5611

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 20:08:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 03:08 UTC

On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 1:02:43 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment - Doctor Who?
>
> In the original game, this was a video round using various movie
> and TV clips. Here, I'll present one still image from each video
> (and a second one if the first doesn't show who's being spoken to)
> and some of the dialogue. In each case, name the doctor featured
> in the clip. You must give the *character's* name -- the surname
> is required and is sufficient.
>
> 1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc1.jpg
>
> "It's not that serious anyway -- she's an actress and she found
> out she just has 3 weeks to live."
>
> "Huh?!?"
>
> "No, no, she's an actress on a soap opera and she's had 3 weeks
> to live for the past 2 years."

Dr. Hartley

> 2. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc2.jpg
>
> "Well, jeepers, you're about to witness the world's first
> demonstration of fireproof paper. Here is my assistant Beaker,
> carrying a lighted blowtorch."

Dr. Honeydew

> 4. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc4.jpg
>
> "Well, you know what, I'm the one with the badge and the gun,
> huh? You know, you're not the only forensic anthropologist
> in town."
>
> "Yes I am! The next nearest is in Montreal. Parlez-vous
> français?"

Dr. Brennan

> 5. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc5.jpg
>
> "Slow down, sir, you're going to give yourself skin failure.
> Okay, now, the symptoms you describe point to bonus eruptus.
> Ees a terrible disorder where the skeleton tries to leap out
> the mouth and escape the body."
>
> "Now you're talking!"

Dr. Riviera

> 6. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc6.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to6.jpg
>
> "I didn't kill my wife!"
>
> "I don't care!"

Dr. Kimble

> 7. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc7.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to7.jpg
>
> "Now it's possible for you to live with this defect for the rest
> of your life without developing a problem, or even if you do,
> many people continue to live normal lives for a long time after
> the onset of irumodic syndrome."
>
> "If that's so, why do you look as if you just signed my death
> sentence?"

Dr. Crusher

> 8. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc8.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to8.jpg
>
> "My understanding from Dr. Cusamano, your family physician, is
> that you collapsed, possibly a panic attack. You were unable
> to breathe?"
>
> "*They* said it was a panic attack."

Dr. Melfi

> 9. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc9.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to9.jpg
>
> "You wretched slugs. Don't any of you have the guts to fight
> for blood?"
>
> "I'm your huckleberry. I kill for my game."

Doc Holliday

> 10. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc10.jpg
>
> "We all in critical condition, babies, but you can tell me where
> it hurts, because I've got the healing prescription here from
> the big 'KRP musical medicine cabinet."

Dr. Fever

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Resurrections
>
> A set of resurrection-adjacent questions, designed to keep you
> challenged.
>
> Fun fact: Mahler's Symphony #2 in C Minor is known as the
> Resurrection Symphony.
>
> * A. Food and Drink
>
> A2. These spicy sweet buns are traditionally eaten on Good
> Friday, and symbolize the crucifixion and resurrection.

hot cross buns
> * C. Literature
>
> C2. Resurrections gone bad are the theme of which 1983 Stephen
> King novel?

"Pet Sematary"

> * D. Movies
>
> D1. Name the woman, born in 1899, who had a successful film
> career during the silent era but had almost no movie roles
> between 1934 and 1950. Her cinematic career was resurrected
> when Billy Wilder cast her as a faded star of the silent era
> who desperately hopes for a career resurrection of her own.

Gloria Swanson

> D2. Name the man who had a successful career in Hollywood in
> the 1930s and '40s but was barely seen on the big screen
> for the following 30 years -- until his career was
> rejuvenated with a supporting performance as one of the
> comically villainous Duke Brothers in "Trading Places",
> and an Oscar-winning performance in "Cocoon", where his
> character also gets rejuvenated.

Don Ameche

> * F. History
>
> F1. After losing an election in 1962, this man bemoaned the end
> of his political career: "you don't have [me] to kick
> around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press
> conference". 6 years later, he was giving press conferences
> as his country's leader.

Nixon
> F2. Rising from the ashes of the Fascist Party, the MSI became
> the AN, which became the PdL, eventually gaining power as
> the FdI -- under which leader?

Meloni (???)
> ** Final, Tiebreakers
>
> The Irregulars wrote a set of tiebreaker questions in case they were
> needed at the Final. These are all numerical questions and the idea
> was that whoever came closest to the right answer would win.
>
> In this medium I'll use them successively as tiebreakers if there
> is a tie in the regular game (yeah, right), but otherwise I'll
> treat the four questions as a separate short game. In that case
> I'll award 6 points for the entrant closest to the right answer,
> 3 points for the second-closest, and 1 point for the third-closest,
> and add all four question scores.
>
> Distance are in kilometers to one decimal place.
>
> 1. Not counting the original three TV-movies, how many episodes
> of "Murdoch Mysteries" have there been, from the series' start
> through 2023-04-10?

65

> 2. We asked google.ca "what is the distance between Cork, Ireland,
> and Waterford, Ireland"? What was the length of the suggested
> driving route (via N25)?

150 km

> 3. According to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum,
> how many wins did Fergie Jenkins have in his Major League career?

275

> 4. We used a couple of online tools to calculate the distance
> between Kumasi, Ghana (see Round 8, Question 5), and the
> Headquarters of the United Nations. What is that distance?

6000 km

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakers

<1ee6e851-b75c-4cd6-8b43-79553b2f285fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5613&group=rec.games.trivia#5613

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 11:19:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 18:19 UTC

On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 2:02:43 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-24,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment - Doctor Who?
>
> In the original game, this was a video round using various movie
> and TV clips. Here, I'll present one still image from each video
> (and a second one if the first doesn't show who's being spoken to)
> and some of the dialogue. In each case, name the doctor featured
> in the clip. You must give the *character's* name -- the surname
> is required and is sufficient.
>
> 1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc1.jpg
>
> "It's not that serious anyway -- she's an actress and she found
> out she just has 3 weeks to live."
>
> "Huh?!?"
>
> "No, no, she's an actress on a soap opera and she's had 3 weeks
> to live for the past 2 years."

dr hartley

> 2. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc2.jpg
>
> "Well, jeepers, you're about to witness the world's first
> demonstration of fireproof paper. Here is my assistant Beaker,
> carrying a lighted blowtorch."

dr bunsen honeydew

> 3. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc3.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to3.jpg
>
> "Well, it's clear that she died from excessive blood loss,
> so I used a hemocytometer to analyze her cells and discovered
> that her blood plaque was far below normal levels."
>
> "And blood plaque is a chief factor in blood clotting."

dr julia ogden

Read more at: https://tvshowtranscripts.ourboard.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31689

> 4. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc4.jpg
>
> "Well, you know what, I'm the one with the badge and the gun,
> huh? You know, you're not the only forensic anthropologist
> in town."
>
> "Yes I am! The next nearest is in Montreal. Parlez-vous
> français?"

dr temperance brennan

> 5. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc5.jpg
>
> "Slow down, sir, you're going to give yourself skin failure.
> Okay, now, the symptoms you describe point to bonus eruptus.
> Ees a terrible disorder where the skeleton tries to leap out
> the mouth and escape the body."
>
> "Now you're talking!"

dr nick riviera

> 6. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc6.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to6.jpg
>
> "I didn't kill my wife!"
>
> "I don't care!"

dr richard kimball

> 7. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc7.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to7.jpg
>
> "Now it's possible for you to live with this defect for the rest
> of your life without developing a problem, or even if you do,
> many people continue to live normal lives for a long time after
> the onset of irumodic syndrome."
>
> "If that's so, why do you look as if you just signed my death
> sentence?"

dr beverley crusher

> 8. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc8.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to8.jpg
>
> "My understanding from Dr. Cusamano, your family physician, is
> that you collapsed, possibly a panic attack. You were unable
> to breathe?"
>
> "*They* said it was a panic attack."

dr jennifer melfi

> 9. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc9.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to9.jpg
>
> "You wretched slugs. Don't any of you have the guts to fight
> for blood?"
>
> "I'm your huckleberry. I kill for my game."

doc holliday

> 10. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc10.jpg
>
> "We all in critical condition, babies, but you can tell me where
> it hurts, because I've got the healing prescription here from
> the big 'KRP musical medicine cabinet."

dr johnny fever

> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh
> anzrq Wbua Pneniryyn sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, jr arrq uvf "qbpgbeyl"
> fgntr anzr. Cyrnfr tb onpx naq cebivqr vg.
>

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Resurrections
>
> A set of resurrection-adjacent questions, designed to keep you
> challenged.
>
> Fun fact: Mahler's Symphony #2 in C Minor is known as the
> Resurrection Symphony.
>
> * A. Food and Drink
>
> A1. One recipe for this cocktail is two parts cognac, one part
> Calvados, and one part Italian vermouth. After a hard night
> of drinking, this cocktail is intended "to be taken before
> 11 am, or whenever steam or energy is needed".

corpse reviver

> A2. These spicy sweet buns are traditionally eaten on Good
> Friday, and symbolize the crucifixion and resurrection.

hot cross bun

> * B. TV
>
> B1. This "Doctor Who" character accidentally became immortal
> courtesy of Rose Tyler and the Time Vortex. He probably
> holds the record for number of resurrections, repeatedly
> dying and resurrecting while buried underground for 1,874
> years. Who?

jack harkness

> B2. This character was stabbed to death at the end of season 5
> of "Game of Thrones". His resurrection in season 6 came
> as a surprise to absolutely no one. Who?

jon snow

> * C. Literature
>
> C1. This author's final novel, "Resurrection", decries the
> injustice of man-made laws and the hypocrisy of the church.
> Unsurprisingly, this resulted in his excommunication. Who?

leo tolstoy

> C2. Resurrections gone bad are the theme of which 1983 Stephen
> King novel?

pet cemetary

> * D. Movies
>
> D1. Name the woman, born in 1899, who had a successful film
> career during the silent era but had almost no movie roles
> between 1934 and 1950. Her cinematic career was resurrected
> when Billy Wilder cast her as a faded star of the silent era
> who desperately hopes for a career resurrection of her own.

gloria swanson

> D2. Name the man who had a successful career in Hollywood in
> the 1930s and '40s but was barely seen on the big screen
> for the following 30 years -- until his career was
> rejuvenated with a supporting performance as one of the
> comically villainous Duke Brothers in "Trading Places",
> and an Oscar-winning performance in "Cocoon", where his
> character also gets rejuvenated.

don ameche

> * E. Cars
>
> In both cases we need the model, not just the maker.
>
> E1. Originally produced from 1959 to 2000, this car brand was
> resurrected by BMW in 2001. The new variant is 34% longer,
> 43% wider, and 16% taller than the 1959 original.

the mini

> E2. The original variant of this car, nicknamed "Topolino", was
> produced 1936-55. A resurrected version was produced
> 1957-75. And in 2007, it was resurrected yet again.

fiat 500

> * F. History
>
> F1. After losing an election in 1962, this man bemoaned the end
> of his political career: "you don't have [me] to kick
> around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press
> conference". 6 years later, he was giving press conferences
> as his country's leader.

nixon

> F2. Rising from the ashes of the Fascist Party, the MSI became
> the AN, which became the PdL, eventually gaining power as
> the FdI -- under which leader?

giorgia meloni

> ** Final, Tiebreakers
>
> The Irregulars wrote a set of tiebreaker questions in case they were
> needed at the Final. These are all numerical questions and the idea
> was that whoever came closest to the right answer would win.
>
> In this medium I'll use them successively as tiebreakers if there
> is a tie in the regular game (yeah, right), but otherwise I'll
> treat the four questions as a separate short game. In that case
> I'll award 6 points for the entrant closest to the right answer,
> 3 points for the second-closest, and 1 point for the third-closest,
> and add all four question scores.
>
> Distance are in kilometers to one decimal place.
>
> 1. Not counting the original three TV-movies, how many episodes
> of "Murdoch Mysteries" have there been, from the series' start
> through 2023-04-10?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakers

<J9KcnVo7rPne8oX4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5614&group=rec.games.trivia#5614

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 18:56:03 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 18:56 UTC

Stephen Perry:
> ...and xkcd #386 is a personal favorite

Me too.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Well, I'm back", he said.
msb@vex.net -- Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings)

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakers

<d-CdnX0fJr9Bp4f4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5615&group=rec.games.trivia#5615

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 03:37:00 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 03:37 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> > based only on your own knowledge.

Stephen Perry:
> dr julia ogden
>
> Read more at: https://tvshowtranscripts.ourboard.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31689

I do not find it credible that Stephen had a 65-character URL memorized
and ready to bring to mind, before he started answering these questions.
His entry is disqualified.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Asteroid Nearly Misses Earth"
msb@vex.net | --Washington Post, June 24, 2002

QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-10 answers: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge

<7BCdnddqe43zpof4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5616&group=rec.games.trivia#5616

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-10 answers: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 03:39:26 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 03:39 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-24,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

The Final game is over and STEPHEN PERRY's attempt to disqualify
himself out of winning has failed -- he holds on to win by 3 points.
Congratulations, I guess!

> ** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment - Doctor Who?

> In the original game, this was a video round using various movie
> and TV clips. Here, I'll present one still image from each video
> (and a second one if the first doesn't show who's being spoken to)
> and some of the dialogue. In each case, name the doctor featured
> in the clip. You must give the *character's* name -- the surname
> is required and is sufficient.

> 1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc1.jpg

> "It's not that serious anyway -- she's an actress and she found
> out she just has 3 weeks to live."

> "Huh?!?"

> "No, no, she's an actress on a soap opera and she's had 3 weeks
> to live for the past 2 years."

Dr. Robert Hartley ("The Bob Newhart Show", with Carol Kester --
Bob Newhart and Marcia Wallace). 4 for Joshua.

> 2. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc2.jpg

> "Well, jeepers, you're about to witness the world's first
> demonstration of fireproof paper. Here is my assistant Beaker,
> carrying a lighted blowtorch."

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew ("The Muppet Show"). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 3. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc3.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to3.jpg

> "Well, it's clear that she died from excessive blood loss,
> so I used a hemocytometer to analyze her cells and discovered
> that her blood plaque was far below normal levels."

> "And blood plaque is a chief factor in blood clotting."

Dr. Julia Ogden Murdoch (accepting either surname) ("Murdoch
Mysteries", with William Murdoch -- Helene Joy and Yannick Bisson).

> 4. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc4.jpg

> "Well, you know what, I'm the one with the badge and the gun,
> huh? You know, you're not the only forensic anthropologist
> in town."

> "Yes I am! The next nearest is in Montreal. Parlez-vous
> français?"

Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan ("Bones", with Seeley Booth -- Emily
Deschanel and David Boreanaz). 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc5.jpg

> "Slow down, sir, you're going to give yourself skin failure.
> Okay, now, the symptoms you describe point to bonus eruptus.
> Ees a terrible disorder where the skeleton tries to leap out
> the mouth and escape the body."

> "Now you're talking!"

Dr. Nick Riviera ("The Simpsons", with Grampa Simpson). 4 for Joshua.

> 6. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc6.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to6.jpg

> "I didn't kill my wife!"

> "I don't care!"

Dr. Richard Kimble ("The Fugitive" (1993), with Sam Gerard --
Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 7. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc7.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to7.jpg

> "Now it's possible for you to live with this defect for the rest
> of your life without developing a problem, or even if you do,
> many people continue to live normal lives for a long time after
> the onset of irumodic syndrome."

> "If that's so, why do you look as if you just signed my death
> sentence?"

Dr. Beverly Crusher ("Star Trek: The Next Generation", with
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard -- Gates McFadden and Patrick Stewart).
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc8.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to8.jpg

> "My understanding from Dr. Cusamano, your family physician, is
> that you collapsed, possibly a panic attack. You were unable
> to breathe?"

> "*They* said it was a panic attack."

Dr. Jennifer Melfi ("The Sopranos", with Tony Soprano -- Lorraine
Bracco and James Gandolfini). 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc9.jpg
> Speaking to: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/to9.jpg

> "You wretched slugs. Don't any of you have the guts to fight
> for blood?"

> "I'm your huckleberry. I kill for my game."

John Henry "Doc" Holliday ("Tombstone" (1993), with Jonny Ringo --
Val Kilmer and Michael Biehn). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc10.jpg

> "We all in critical condition, babies, but you can tell me where
> it hurts, because I've got the healing prescription here from
> the big 'KRP musical medicine cabinet."

Dr. Johnny Fever ("WKRP In Cincinnati" -- Howard Hesseman).
4 for Joshua.

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Resurrections

> A set of resurrection-adjacent questions, designed to keep you
> challenged.

> Fun fact: Mahler's Symphony #2 in C Minor is known as the
> Resurrection Symphony.

> * A. Food and Drink

> A1. One recipe for this cocktail is two parts cognac, one part
> Calvados, and one part Italian vermouth. After a hard night
> of drinking, this cocktail is intended "to be taken before
> 11 am, or whenever steam or energy is needed".

Corpse reviver.

> A2. These spicy sweet buns are traditionally eaten on Good
> Friday, and symbolize the crucifixion and resurrection.

Hot cross buns. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> * B. TV

> B1. This "Doctor Who" character accidentally became immortal
> courtesy of Rose Tyler and the Time Vortex. He probably
> holds the record for number of resurrections, repeatedly
> dying and resurrecting while buried underground for 1,874
> years. Who?

Capt. Jack Harkness.

> B2. This character was stabbed to death at the end of season 5
> of "Game of Thrones". His resurrection in season 6 came
> as a surprise to absolutely no one. Who?

Jon Snow.

> * C. Literature

> C1. This author's final novel, "Resurrection", decries the
> injustice of man-made laws and the hypocrisy of the church.
> Unsurprisingly, this resulted in his excommunication. Who?

Leo Tolstoy.

> C2. Resurrections gone bad are the theme of which 1983 Stephen
> King novel?

"Pet Sematary". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> * D. Movies

> D1. Name the woman, born in 1899, who had a successful film
> career during the silent era but had almost no movie roles
> between 1934 and 1950. Her cinematic career was resurrected
> when Billy Wilder cast her as a faded star of the silent era
> who desperately hopes for a career resurrection of her own.

Gloria Swanson (as Norma Desmond in "Sunset Blvd." (1950)).
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> D2. Name the man who had a successful career in Hollywood in
> the 1930s and '40s but was barely seen on the big screen
> for the following 30 years -- until his career was
> rejuvenated with a supporting performance as one of the
> comically villainous Duke Brothers in "Trading Places",
> and an Oscar-winning performance in "Cocoon", where his
> character also gets rejuvenated.

Don Ameche. 4 for Joshua.

> * E. Cars

> In both cases we need the model, not just the maker.

> E1. Originally produced from 1959 to 2000, this car brand was
> resurrected by BMW in 2001. The new variant is 34% longer,
> 43% wider, and 16% taller than the 1959 original.

(Austin) Mini. (Anything with "Mini" was acceptable.) 4 for
Dan Blum.

> E2. The original variant of this car, nicknamed "Topolino", was
> produced 1936-55. A resurrected version was produced
> 1957-75. And in 2007, it was resurrected yet again.

Fiat 500 (Cinquecento). 4 for Erland.

> * F. History

> F1. After losing an election in 1962, this man bemoaned the end
> of his political career: "you don't have [me] to kick
> around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press
> conference". 6 years later, he was giving press conferences
> as his country's leader.

Richard Nixon. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Joshua.

Click here to read the complete article
QFTCIBSI23 Final, Tiebreakers

<U4-dnQHr9L-moYf4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5617&group=rec.games.trivia#5617

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Tiebreakers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 03:42:51 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 03:42 UTC

Mark Brader:
> ** Final, Tiebreakers

> The Irregulars wrote a set of tiebreaker questions in case they were
> needed at the Final. These are all numerical questions and the idea
> was that whoever came closest to the right answer would win.

> In this medium I'll use them successively as tiebreakers if there
> is a tie in the regular game (yeah, right), but otherwise I'll
> treat the four questions as a separate short game. In that case
> I'll award 6 points for the entrant closest to the right answer,
> 3 points for the second-closest, and 1 point for the third-closest,
> and add all four question scores.

JOSHUA KREITZER wins.

> Distance are in kilometers to one decimal place.

> 1. Not counting the original three TV-movies, how many episodes
> of "Murdoch Mysteries" have there been, from the series' start
> through 2023-04-10?

266. 6 for Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum. 1 for Erland.

> 2. We asked google.ca "what is the distance between Cork, Ireland,
> and Waterford, Ireland"? What was the length of the suggested
> driving route (via N25)?

121.1 km. 6 for Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua. 1 for Dan Tilque.

> 3. According to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum,
> how many wins did Fergie Jenkins have in his Major League career?

284. 6 for Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum. 1 for Dan Tilque.

> 4. We used a couple of online tools to calculate the distance
> between Kumasi, Ghana (see Round 8, Question 5), and the
> Headquarters of the United Nations. What is that distance?

8041.6 km. 6 for Erland. 3 for Dan Tilque. 1 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

Joshua Kreitzer 15
Dan Blum 13
Erland Sommarskog 7
Dan Tilque 5

--
Mark Brader | "This man must be very ignorant, for he answers
Toronto | every question he is asked." -- Voltaire

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakers

<ufi5pt$3pf93$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5621&group=rec.games.trivia#5621

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
breakers
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 17:49:31 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 22:49 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-24,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 9 - Entertainment - Doctor Who?
>
> In the original game, this was a video round using various movie
> and TV clips. Here, I'll present one still image from each video
> (and a second one if the first doesn't show who's being spoken to)
> and some of the dialogue. In each case, name the doctor featured
> in the clip. You must give the *character's* name -- the surname
> is required and is sufficient.
>
> 1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-9/doc1.jpg
>
> "It's not that serious anyway -- she's an actress and she found
> out she just has 3 weeks to live."
>
> "Huh?!?"
>
> "No, no, she's an actress on a soap opera and she's had 3 weeks
> to live for the past 2 years."

Bob Hartley

> [...]
> the big 'KRP musical medicine cabinet."
>
> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh
> anzrq Wbua Pneniryyn sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, jr arrq uvf "qbpgbeyl"
> fgntr anzr. Cyrnfr tb onpx naq cebivqr vg.
>

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Resurrections
>
> A set of resurrection-adjacent questions, designed to keep you
> challenged.
>
> Fun fact: Mahler's Symphony #2 in C Minor is known as the
> Resurrection Symphony.
>
> * A. Food and Drink
>
> A1. One recipe for this cocktail is two parts cognac, one part
> Calvados, and one part Italian vermouth. After a hard night
> of drinking, this cocktail is intended "to be taken before
> 11 am, or whenever steam or energy is needed".
>
> A2. These spicy sweet buns are traditionally eaten on Good
> Friday, and symbolize the crucifixion and resurrection.

Hot Cross buns

> * B. TV
>
> B1. This "Doctor Who" character accidentally became immortal
> courtesy of Rose Tyler and the Time Vortex. He probably
> holds the record for number of resurrections, repeatedly
> dying and resurrecting while buried underground for 1,874
> years. Who?

Captain Jack

> B2. This character was stabbed to death at the end of season 5
> of "Game of Thrones". His resurrection in season 6 came
> as a surprise to absolutely no one. Who?

Snow

> * C. Literature
>
> C1. This author's final novel, "Resurrection", decries the
> injustice of man-made laws and the hypocrisy of the church.
> Unsurprisingly, this resulted in his excommunication. Who?
>
> C2. Resurrections gone bad are the theme of which 1983 Stephen
> King novel?
>

> * D. Movies
>
> D1. Name the woman, born in 1899, who had a successful film
> career during the silent era but had almost no movie roles
> between 1934 and 1950. Her cinematic career was resurrected
> when Billy Wilder cast her as a faded star of the silent era
> who desperately hopes for a career resurrection of her own.

Swanson

> D2. Name the man who had a successful career in Hollywood in
> the 1930s and '40s but was barely seen on the big screen
> for the following 30 years -- until his career was
> rejuvenated with a supporting performance as one of the
> comically villainous Duke Brothers in "Trading Places",
> and an Oscar-winning performance in "Cocoon", where his
> character also gets rejuvenated.

Don Ameche

> * E. Cars
>
> In both cases we need the model, not just the maker.
>
> E1. Originally produced from 1959 to 2000, this car brand was
> resurrected by BMW in 2001. The new variant is 34% longer,
> 43% wider, and 16% taller than the 1959 original.
>
> E2. The original variant of this car, nicknamed "Topolino", was
> produced 1936-55. A resurrected version was produced
> 1957-75. And in 2007, it was resurrected yet again.

Fiat Spider

> * F. History
>
> F1. After losing an election in 1962, this man bemoaned the end
> of his political career: "you don't have [me] to kick
> around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press
> conference". 6 years later, he was giving press conferences
> as his country's leader.

Richard Nixon

> F2. Rising from the ashes of the Fascist Party, the MSI became
> the AN, which became the PdL, eventually gaining power as
> the FdI -- under which leader?

Berlusconi

> ** Final, Tiebreakers
>
> The Irregulars wrote a set of tiebreaker questions in case they were
> needed at the Final. These are all numerical questions and the idea
> was that whoever came closest to the right answer would win.
>
> In this medium I'll use them successively as tiebreakers if there
> is a tie in the regular game (yeah, right), but otherwise I'll
> treat the four questions as a separate short game. In that case
> I'll award 6 points for the entrant closest to the right answer,
> 3 points for the second-closest, and 1 point for the third-closest,
> and add all four question scores.
>
> Distance are in kilometers to one decimal place.
>
> 1. Not counting the original three TV-movies, how many episodes
> of "Murdoch Mysteries" have there been, from the series' start
> through 2023-04-10?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 9-T: Dr. who?, resurrections challenge, breakers

<M4WcnW2UDKYzk4D4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5623&group=rec.games.trivia#5623

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
breakers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 07:05:18 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 07:05 UTC

If Pete Gayde has posted his answers on time, he would have scored
4 points on Round 9 and 20 on Round 20, for a final score of 106,
moving him up to 5th place.

On the tiebreaker game, only one guess was allowed per entrant
(I forgot to say that explicitly, but it was implied by the scoring).
Using Pete's first answers, he would have scored 4 points, taking
2 each off Joshua and Dan Tilque, and finished 4th.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If you wish so, we write your consummations
msb@vex.net | on your bill." --Swiss hotel services handbook