You will always find something in the last place you look.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers: losing teams, title characters

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title charactersMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title charactersDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title charactersJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title charactersswp
+* QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title charactersDan Blum
|`- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title charactersswp
`- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers: losing teams, title charactersMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title characters

<PNudnZ5ZUtgW0oP4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5626&group=rec.games.trivia#5626

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.goja.nl.eu.org!3.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!fdn.fr!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!193.141.40.65.MISMATCH!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr3.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.22.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title characters
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 05:54:19 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 05:54 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote both of these rounds.

* Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - And in Last Place

In each case name the team. Either the place name or team name
will be sufficient, like "Saskatchewan" or "Roughriders", unless
we say otherwise.

1. While exact information is not available, in its first 63 years
of operation this professional team won maybe 3 games, and lost
about 16,000 games.

2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with the previous one. Gur erfg bs guvf ebhaq pbapreaf
grnzf cynlvat va beqvanel cebsrffvbany yrnthrf. Nyy gur grnzf
ner fgvyy cynlvat gbqnl, naq vs gurl unir punatrq anzrf, jr jvyy
npprcg gurve pheerag anzr. Va gur AON, qhr gb n ynobe qvfchgr,
gur 2011-12 frnfba jnf bayl 66 tnzrf ybat. Guvf Fbhgurnfg
Qvivfvba grnz svavfurq gur frnfba jvgu 7 jvaf naq 59 ybffrf.
Gurve yrnqvat fpbere jnf Trenyq Uraqrefba We.

3. The worst record in major-league baseball since World War II
belongs to this National League team in 1962, when they won
40 games and lost 120. Jimmy Breslin's book about that season
was titled "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?"

4. The worst baseball record in recent years was this American
League Central Division team with 47 wins and 114 losses in 2019.

5. Considering only home games for each team, the all-time record
home losing streak for *all* professional sports in North
America was the 20 consecutive home losses suffered by the
St. Louis Browns in June and July 1953 -- until *this* team
exceeded it by losing 22 consecutive home games from October
2019 to August 2023. Obviously this isn't a baseball team --
what team is it?

6. In the 1976 NFL season, this team lost all 14 games. Despite
their location, they were then playing in the AFC West Division.
Their head coach was John McKay and their primary quarterback
was Steve Spurrier.

7. In 1974-75 this NHL team in the Norris Division won 8 games,
lost 67, and tied 5. Four of their losses were by 10 goals
or more. Their primary goalie, Ron Low, had a goals-against
average of 5.45.

8. In 1992-93 this team in the NHL's Smythe Division won 11 games
and tied 2, but their 71 losses are a record that still stands
today. At one point they lost 17 games in a row; in one game
they scored first and lost 13-1. Their leading scorer was
Kelly Kisio with 26 goals on the whole season.

9. This English soccer team was promoted into the Premier League
in 2007, but had clinched relegation back to their previous
league 6 weeks before the 2007-08 season was over! That season
they won 1 game, drew 8, and lost 29. They scored 20 goals in
the whole season to 89 for their opponents. Billy Davies was
replaced as manager by Paul Jewell, who lasted only a little
over a year.

10. On this continent, the record for losses in Major League Soccer
was set in 1999. Including games decided by shootout,
this Eastern Conference team won just 7 games and lost 25.
They scored 35 goals in the season, 7 of them by Eduardo Hurtado;
Bora Milutinovic was the coach.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba dhrfgvbaf
1 naq 9, gur shyy anzr vf erdhverq -- cynpr anzr naq grnz anzr.
Gur fnzr nccyvrf ba dhrfgvba 10 vs lbh tvir gur cerfrag-qnl anzr.
Ba dhrfgvba 3, gur grnz anzr vf erdhverq.

* Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - The Title Character

In each case we will name a book whose title refers to a specific
character, and you must name *that character*. For example, we say
"The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien, and you say Sauron.
In some cases the character's first name will do, but we won't
tell you which questions. Note that the title character is not
necessarily the lead character of the book.

1. "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.
2. "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.
3. "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike.
4. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.
5. "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
6. "The Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare.

7. "Lady Chatterley's Lover" by D.H. Lawrence. We want the second
title character, of course.

8. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
["Rolling"]. We want the second title character, of course.

9. "The Stranger", also known in English as "The Outsider", by
Albert Camus.

10. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
dhbgrq gur gvgyr nf lbhe nafjre sbe bar dhrfgvba, tb onpx naq gryy
gur gvgyr punenpgre'f *erny* anzr.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Logic is logic. That's all I say."
msb@vex.net -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title characters

<uflmlb$qr5g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5627&group=rec.games.trivia#5627

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 23:55:37 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 06:55 UTC

On 10/4/23 22:54, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote both of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - And in Last Place
>
> In each case name the team. Either the place name or team name
> will be sufficient, like "Saskatchewan" or "Roughriders", unless
> we say otherwise.
>
> 1. While exact information is not available, in its first 63 years
> of operation this professional team won maybe 3 games, and lost
> about 16,000 games.

Washington Generals

> 2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Gur erfg bs guvf ebhaq pbapreaf
> grnzf cynlvat va beqvanel cebsrffvbany yrnthrf. Nyy gur grnzf
> ner fgvyy cynlvat gbqnl, naq vs gurl unir punatrq anzrf, jr jvyy
> npprcg gurve pheerag anzr. Va gur AON, qhr gb n ynobe qvfchgr,
> gur 2011-12 frnfba jnf bayl 66 tnzrf ybat. Guvf Fbhgurnfg
> Qvivfvba grnz svavfurq gur frnfba jvgu 7 jvaf naq 59 ybffrf.
> Gurve yrnqvat fpbere jnf Trenyq Uraqrefba We.

Charlotte Hornets

> 3. The worst record in major-league baseball since World War II
> belongs to this National League team in 1962, when they won
> 40 games and lost 120. Jimmy Breslin's book about that season
> was titled "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?"

New York Mets

> 4. The worst baseball record in recent years was this American
> League Central Division team with 47 wins and 114 losses in 2019.
>
> 5. Considering only home games for each team, the all-time record
> home losing streak for *all* professional sports in North
> America was the 20 consecutive home losses suffered by the
> St. Louis Browns in June and July 1953 -- until *this* team
> exceeded it by losing 22 consecutive home games from October
> 2019 to August 2023. Obviously this isn't a baseball team --
> what team is it?

Detroit Lions

> 6. In the 1976 NFL season, this team lost all 14 games. Despite
> their location, they were then playing in the AFC West Division.
> Their head coach was John McKay and their primary quarterback
> was Steve Spurrier.

New Orleans Saints

> 7. In 1974-75 this NHL team in the Norris Division won 8 games,
> lost 67, and tied 5. Four of their losses were by 10 goals
> or more. Their primary goalie, Ron Low, had a goals-against
> average of 5.45.
>
> 8. In 1992-93 this team in the NHL's Smythe Division won 11 games
> and tied 2, but their 71 losses are a record that still stands
> today. At one point they lost 17 games in a row; in one game
> they scored first and lost 13-1. Their leading scorer was
> Kelly Kisio with 26 goals on the whole season.
>
> 9. This English soccer team was promoted into the Premier League
> in 2007, but had clinched relegation back to their previous
> league 6 weeks before the 2007-08 season was over! That season
> they won 1 game, drew 8, and lost 29. They scored 20 goals in
> the whole season to 89 for their opponents. Billy Davies was
> replaced as manager by Paul Jewell, who lasted only a little
> over a year.
>
> 10. On this continent, the record for losses in Major League Soccer
> was set in 1999. Including games decided by shootout,
> this Eastern Conference team won just 7 games and lost 25.
> They scored 35 goals in the season, 7 of them by Eduardo Hurtado;
> Bora Milutinovic was the coach.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba dhrfgvbaf
> 1 naq 9, gur shyy anzr vf erdhverq -- cynpr anzr naq grnz anzr.
> Gur fnzr nccyvrf ba dhrfgvba 10 vs lbh tvir gur cerfrag-qnl anzr.
> Ba dhrfgvba 3, gur grnz anzr vf erdhverq.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - The Title Character
>
> In each case we will name a book whose title refers to a specific
> character, and you must name *that character*. For example, we say
> "The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien, and you say Sauron.
> In some cases the character's first name will do, but we won't
> tell you which questions. Note that the title character is not
> necessarily the lead character of the book.
>
> 1. "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Bilbo Baggins

> 2. "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.
> 3. "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike.
> 4. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.
> 5. "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
> 6. "The Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare.

Antonio

> 7. "Lady Chatterley's Lover" by D.H. Lawrence. We want the second
> title character, of course.
>
> 8. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
> ["Rolling"]. We want the second title character, of course.
>
> 9. "The Stranger", also known in English as "The Outsider", by
> Albert Camus.
>
> 10. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein.

Michael Valentine Smith

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> dhbgrq gur gvgyr nf lbhe nafjre sbe bar dhrfgvba, tb onpx naq gryy
> gur gvgyr punenpgre'f *erny* anzr.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title characters

<67b22624-50c0-469a-84f1-2ad27a951141n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5628&group=rec.games.trivia#5628

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:44:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 00:44 UTC

On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 12:54:30 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - And in Last Place
>
> In each case name the team.
>
> 1. While exact information is not available, in its first 63 years
> of operation this professional team won maybe 3 games, and lost
> about 16,000 games.

Washington Generals

> 3. The worst record in major-league baseball since World War II
> belongs to this National League team in 1962, when they won
> 40 games and lost 120. Jimmy Breslin's book about that season
> was titled "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?"

New York Mets
> 6. In the 1976 NFL season, this team lost all 14 games. Despite
> their location, they were then playing in the AFC West Division.
> Their head coach was John McKay and their primary quarterback
> was Steve Spurrier.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - The Title Character
>
> In each case we will name a book whose title refers to a specific
> character, and you must name *that character*. For example, we say
> "The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien, and you say Sauron.
> In some cases the character's first name will do, but we won't
> tell you which questions. Note that the title character is not
> necessarily the lead character of the book.
>
> 1. "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Bilbo Baggins

> 2. "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.

Santiago

> 3. "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike.

Angstrom

> 4. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.

Dolores Haze

> 6. "The Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare.

Antonio
> 7. "Lady Chatterley's Lover" by D.H. Lawrence. We want the second
> title character, of course.

Mellors

> 8. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
> ["Rolling"]. We want the second title character, of course.

Nicolas Flamel

> 10. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein.

Valentine
--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title characters

<edc0c911-1060-4f1e-a73d-3c95d836febbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5629&group=rec.games.trivia#5629

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:49:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 00:49 UTC

On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 1:54:30 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote both of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - And in Last Place
>
> In each case name the team. Either the place name or team name
> will be sufficient, like "Saskatchewan" or "Roughriders", unless
> we say otherwise.
>
> 1. While exact information is not available, in its first 63 years
> of operation this professional team won maybe 3 games, and lost
> about 16,000 games.

washington generals

> 2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. The rest of this round concerns
> teams playing in ordinary professional leagues. All the teams
> are still playing today, and if they have changed names, we will
> accept their current name. In the NBA, due to a labor dispute,
> the 2011-12 season was only 66 games long. This Southeast
> Division team finished the season with 7 wins and 59 losses.
> Their leading scorer was Gerald Henderson Jr.

charlotte hornets

> 3. The worst record in major-league baseball since World War II
> belongs to this National League team in 1962, when they won
> 40 games and lost 120. Jimmy Breslin's book about that season
> was titled "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?"

new york mets

> 4. The worst baseball record in recent years was this American
> League Central Division team with 47 wins and 114 losses in 2019.

detroit tigers

> 5. Considering only home games for each team, the all-time record
> home losing streak for *all* professional sports in North
> America was the 20 consecutive home losses suffered by the
> St. Louis Browns in June and July 1953 -- until *this* team
> exceeded it by losing 22 consecutive home games from October
> 2019 to August 2023. Obviously this isn't a baseball team --
> what team is it?

.... my only guess is that it must be a cfl football team to ensure
the round has the minimum required amount of canadian content.
but I can barely remember who wins the gray cup so ... edmonton?

> 6. In the 1976 NFL season, this team lost all 14 games. Despite
> their location, they were then playing in the AFC West Division.
> Their head coach was John McKay and their primary quarterback
> was Steve Spurrier.

tampa bay buccaneers

> 7. In 1974-75 this NHL team in the Norris Division won 8 games,
> lost 67, and tied 5. Four of their losses were by 10 goals
> or more. Their primary goalie, Ron Low, had a goals-against
> average of 5.45.

washington capitals

> 8. In 1992-93 this team in the NHL's Smythe Division won 11 games
> and tied 2, but their 71 losses are a record that still stands
> today. At one point they lost 17 games in a row; in one game
> they scored first and lost 13-1. Their leading scorer was
> Kelly Kisio with 26 goals on the whole season.

ottawa senators?

> 9. This English soccer team was promoted into the Premier League
> in 2007, but had clinched relegation back to their previous
> league 6 weeks before the 2007-08 season was over! That season
> they won 1 game, drew 8, and lost 29. They scored 20 goals in
> the whole season to 89 for their opponents. Billy Davies was
> replaced as manager by Paul Jewell, who lasted only a little
> over a year.

derby rams

> 10. On this continent, the record for losses in Major League Soccer
> was set in 1999. Including games decided by shootout,
> this Eastern Conference team won just 7 games and lost 25.
> They scored 35 goals in the season, 7 of them by Eduardo Hurtado;
> Bora Milutinovic was the coach.

new york red bulls

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: On questions
> 1 and 9, the full name is required -- place name and team name.
> The same applies on question 10 if you give the present-day name.
> On question 3, the team name is required.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - The Title Character
>
> In each case we will name a book whose title refers to a specific
> character, and you must name *that character*. For example, we say
> "The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien, and you say Sauron.
> In some cases the character's first name will do, but we won't
> tell you which questions. Note that the title character is not
> necessarily the lead character of the book.
>
> 1. "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

bilbo baggins

> 2. "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.

santiago

> 3. "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike.

harry angstrom

> 4. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.

dolores haze

> 5. "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

fyodor dostoyevsky

> 6. "The Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare.

antonio

> 7. "Lady Chatterley's Lover" by D.H. Lawrence. We want the second
> title character, of course.

oliver mellors

> 8. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
> ["Rolling"]. We want the second title character, of course.

nicolas flammel

> 9. "The Stranger", also known in English as "The Outsider", by
> Albert Camus.

meursalt?

> 10. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein.

valentine michael smith

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: If you just
> quoted the title as your answer for one question, go back and tell
> the title character's *real* name.
> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto "Logic is logic. That's all I say."
> m...@vex.net -- Oliver Wendell Holmes
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title characters

<ufnrf0$9pe$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5630&group=rec.games.trivia#5630

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 02:29:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 02:29 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - And in Last Place

> 1. While exact information is not available, in its first 63 years
> of operation this professional team won maybe 3 games, and lost
> about 16,000 games.

Washington Generals

> 2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Gur erfg bs guvf ebhaq pbapreaf
> grnzf cynlvat va beqvanel cebsrffvbany yrnthrf. Nyy gur grnzf
> ner fgvyy cynlvat gbqnl, naq vs gurl unir punatrq anzrf, jr jvyy
> npprcg gurve pheerag anzr. Va gur AON, qhr gb n ynobe qvfchgr,
> gur 2011-12 frnfba jnf bayl 66 tnzrf ybat. Guvf Fbhgurnfg
> Qvivfvba grnz svavfurq gur frnfba jvgu 7 jvaf naq 59 ybffrf.
> Gurve yrnqvat fpbere jnf Trenyq Uraqrefba We.

Hawks

> 3. The worst record in major-league baseball since World War II
> belongs to this National League team in 1962, when they won
> 40 games and lost 120. Jimmy Breslin's book about that season
> was titled "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?"

Mets

> 4. The worst baseball record in recent years was this American
> League Central Division team with 47 wins and 114 losses in 2019.

Royals; Astros

> 5. Considering only home games for each team, the all-time record
> home losing streak for *all* professional sports in North
> America was the 20 consecutive home losses suffered by the
> St. Louis Browns in June and July 1953 -- until *this* team
> exceeded it by losing 22 consecutive home games from October
> 2019 to August 2023. Obviously this isn't a baseball team --
> what team is it?

Browns; Lions

> 6. In the 1976 NFL season, this team lost all 14 games. Despite
> their location, they were then playing in the AFC West Division.
> Their head coach was John McKay and their primary quarterback
> was Steve Spurrier.

Lions; Bengals

> 7. In 1974-75 this NHL team in the Norris Division won 8 games,
> lost 67, and tied 5. Four of their losses were by 10 goals
> or more. Their primary goalie, Ron Low, had a goals-against
> average of 5.45.

Blues; Sabres

> 8. In 1992-93 this team in the NHL's Smythe Division won 11 games
> and tied 2, but their 71 losses are a record that still stands
> today. At one point they lost 17 games in a row; in one game
> they scored first and lost 13-1. Their leading scorer was
> Kelly Kisio with 26 goals on the whole season.

Sabres; Blues

> 9. This English soccer team was promoted into the Premier League
> in 2007, but had clinched relegation back to their previous
> league 6 weeks before the 2007-08 season was over! That season
> they won 1 game, drew 8, and lost 29. They scored 20 goals in
> the whole season to 89 for their opponents. Billy Davies was
> replaced as manager by Paul Jewell, who lasted only a little
> over a year.

Coventry City

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - The Title Character

> 1. "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Bilbo Baggins

> 3. "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike.

Rabbit Angstrom

> 4. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.

Dolores Haze

> 5. "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Prince Myshkin

> 6. "The Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare.

Antonio

> 10. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein.

Michael Valentine Smith

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: losing teams, title characters

<ab11d080-9b8f-4a51-86a5-e6d44908c6bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5631&group=rec.games.trivia#5631

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 15:44:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 22:44 UTC

On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 10:29:54 PM UTC-4, Dan Blum wrote:
> Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>
> > 5. "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
> Prince Myshkin

isn't this a hotdog order at pink's in los angeles?
(and hold the relish)

swp

QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers: losing teams, title characters

<3oWdnUyjiJanZb34nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5632&group=rec.games.trivia#5632

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers: losing teams, title characters
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 06:18:34 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 06:18 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote both of these rounds.

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Sports - And in Last Place

> In each case name the team. Either the place name or team name
> will be sufficient, like "Saskatchewan" or "Roughriders", unless
> we say otherwise.

> 1. While exact information is not available, in its first 63 years
> of operation this professional team won maybe 3 games, and lost
> about 16,000 games.

Washington Generals. (Perpetual opponents of the Harlem Globetrotters
stunt exhibition team. Full name required.) 4 for everyone --
Dan Tilque, Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> 2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. The rest of this round concerns
> teams playing in ordinary professional leagues. All the teams
> are still playing today, and if they have changed names, we will
> accept their current name. In the NBA, due to a labor dispute,
> the 2011-12 season was only 66 games long. This Southeast
> Division team finished the season with 7 wins and 59 losses.
> Their leading scorer was Gerald Henderson Jr.

Charlotte Bobcats (now Hornets). 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 3. The worst record in major-league baseball since World War II
> belongs to this National League team in 1962, when they won
> 40 games and lost 120. Jimmy Breslin's book about that season
> was titled "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?"

New York Mets. ("Mets" was required.) 4 for everyone.

> 4. The worst baseball record in recent years was this American
> League Central Division team with 47 wins and 114 losses in 2019.

Detroit Tigers. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. Considering only home games for each team, the all-time record
> home losing streak for *all* professional sports in North
> America was the 20 consecutive home losses suffered by the
> St. Louis Browns in June and July 1953 -- until *this* team
> exceeded it by losing 22 consecutive home games from October
> 2019 to August 2023. Obviously this isn't a baseball team --
> what team is it?

Edmonton Eskimos, now Elks. (The name changed during the period.)
4 for Stephen.

Fun facts:
* After October 12, 2019, Edmonton's next home win was 1,415 days
later on August 27 this year.
* The St. Louis Browns left town immediately after that 1953 season
and became the Baltimore Orioles.
* There have been even longer home losing streaks in Australian
football, where the record is 25.

> 6. In the 1976 NFL season, this team lost all 14 games. Despite
> their location, they were then playing in the AFC West Division.
> Their head coach was John McKay and their primary quarterback
> was Steve Spurrier.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 7. In 1974-75 this NHL team in the Norris Division won 8 games,
> lost 67, and tied 5. Four of their losses were by 10 goals
> or more. Their primary goalie, Ron Low, had a goals-against
> average of 5.45.

Washington Capitals. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. In 1992-93 this team in the NHL's Smythe Division won 11 games
> and tied 2, but their 71 losses are a record that still stands
> today. At one point they lost 17 games in a row; in one game
> they scored first and lost 13-1. Their leading scorer was
> Kelly Kisio with 26 goals on the whole season.

San Jose Sharks.

> 9. This English soccer team was promoted into the Premier League
> in 2007, but had clinched relegation back to their previous
> league 6 weeks before the 2007-08 season was over! That season
> they won 1 game, drew 8, and lost 29. They scored 20 goals in
> the whole season to 89 for their opponents. Billy Davies was
> replaced as manager by Paul Jewell, who lasted only a little
> over a year.

Derby ["DAR-bee"] County. (Full name required.)

> 10. On this continent, the record for losses in Major League Soccer
> was set in 1999. Including games decided by shootout,
> this Eastern Conference team won just 7 games and lost 25.
> They scored 35 goals in the season, 7 of them by Eduardo Hurtado;
> Bora Milutinovic was the coach.

MetroStars, sometimes called New York / New Jersey, now New York
Red Bulls (full name required). 4 for Stephen.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Literature - The Title Character

> In each case we will name a book whose title refers to a specific
> character, and you must name *that character*. For example, we say
> "The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien, and you say Sauron.
> In some cases the character's first name will do, but we won't
> tell you which questions. Note that the title character is not
> necessarily the lead character of the book.

In the original game, this round was tied for hardest with the
audio round.

> 1. "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Bilbo Baggins. ("Bilbo" was sufficient.) 4 for everyone.

> 2. "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway.

Santiago. (Last name not stated.) 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 3. "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike.

Harry Angstrom. 4 for Joshua and Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

I gave the instruction: If you just quoted the title as your answer
for one question, go back and tell the title character's *real* name.
The question I had in mind here was #4. But on this question Dan gave
"Rabbit Angstrom". This is not exactly "just quoting the title",
but it also isn't the character's real name. I decided to score it
as almost correct.

> 4. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.

Dolores Haze. (Either name was sufficient.) 4 for Joshua, Stephen,
and Dan Blum.

> 5. "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Prince Lev Nikolayevich Myshkin. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. "The Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare.

Antonio. 4 for everyone.

> 7. "Lady Chatterley's Lover" by D.H. Lawrence. We want the second
> title character, of course.

Oliver Mellors. (Either name is sufficient.) 4 for Joshua
and Stephen.

> 8. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
> ["Rolling"]. We want the second title character, of course.

Nicolas Flamel. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 9. "The Stranger", also known in English as "The Outsider", by
> Albert Camus.

Meursault" ["Mur-SO"]. (First name not stated.) 4 for Stephen.

> 10. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein.

Valentine Michael Smith. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Tilque
and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Mis Sci Spo Lit
Stephen Perry 28 40 32 36 136
Joshua Kreitzer 12 35 12 28 87
Dan Blum 16 32 8 22 78
Dan Tilque 12 28 12 11 63
Pete Gayde 0 8 -- -- 8

--
Mark Brader "[This computation] assumed that everything
Toronto would work, a happy state of affairs found