The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: 1-word titles, 1809

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809Mark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809Joshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809Erland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809Dan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809swp
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809Pete Gayde
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809Dan Tilque
`- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: 1-word titles, 1809Mark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809

<vJqcnaH7UdZkZb34nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5633&group=rec.games.trivia#5633

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 06:21:45 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 06:21 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - One-Word Movie Titles

We give a short description, and you give the one-word movie title.

1. An unknown gets a shot at the heavyweight boxing championship.
2. From a novel subtitled "a novel about three army doctors".
3. A strange creature attacks the crew of the spaceship Nostromo.
4. The daily lives of mobsters in New York.
5. A former policeman suffers from acrophobia.
6. The life and times of the former first lady of Argentina.
7. The lives of music-hall performers in pre-Nazi Berlin.
8. A sheriff in a small town uncovers murder and kidnapping in
the snow.
9. An alien creature comes to Earth to do a little hunting.
10. Remade several times. In the original a prehistoric creature
attacks Tokyo.

* Game 1, Round 8 - History - 1809

If you write dates numerically in a certain style that is very
common in Britain and also sometimes used in Canada, today is the
18th of September or 18/09. Therefore, here is a round about 1809.

The year, that is.

1. In 1809 Napoleon's French Empire was at war with several other
countries. Name any one of the countries that the French were
fighting in the Peninsular War.

2. Meanwhile on another peninsula, France completed its invasion
and annexation of the Papal States. How did Pope Pius VII
react to this?

3. On February 12, about 4,000 miles apart, there were born a
future scientist and a future politician, both of whose fame
still endures today. Name either one.

4. On June 8 the author of the 1776 pamphlet "Common Sense" died.
Name him.

5. Name either the US president whose term ended in 1809, or the
one who succeeded him.

6. Washington Irving's first major book was published in 1809 under
the pseudonym of "Diedrich Knickerbocker". It was a satirical
history of what city?

7. Robert Fulton received his first US patent in 1809, for what
invention?

8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with the previous one. Meanwhile in Lower Canada,
a steamboat financed by John Molson made its maiden voyage.
Name either the starting point of the trip, or the endpoint.

9. In 1809 the governor of the Louisiana Territory was either
murdered or committed suicide, but it's not clear which.
He was previously known as an explorer. Name him.

10. This Austrian composer of over 100 symphonies died in Vienna in
1809. The Requiem by his friend Mozart was played at his
funeral. Name him.

--
Mark Brader | ...I am constantly surprised by the questions which apparently
Toronto | have not been litigated, at least to the point of producing

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809

<66e3f61d-38c6-45ea-8fdf-a9da008e7808n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5634&group=rec.games.trivia#5634

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 00:31:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 07:31 UTC

On Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 1:21:56 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - One-Word Movie Titles
>
> We give a short description, and you give the one-word movie title.
>
> 1. An unknown gets a shot at the heavyweight boxing championship.

"Rocky"

> 2. From a novel subtitled "a novel about three army doctors".

"MASH"

> 3. A strange creature attacks the crew of the spaceship Nostromo.

"Alien"
> 4. The daily lives of mobsters in New York.

"Goodfellas"
> 5. A former policeman suffers from acrophobia.

"Vertigo"

> 6. The life and times of the former first lady of Argentina.

"Evita"

> 7. The lives of music-hall performers in pre-Nazi Berlin.

"Cabaret"

> 8. A sheriff in a small town uncovers murder and kidnapping in
> the snow.

"Fargo"
> 9. An alien creature comes to Earth to do a little hunting.

"Predator"

> 10. Remade several times. In the original a prehistoric creature
> attacks Tokyo.

"Godzilla"

> * Game 1, Round 8 - History - 1809
>
> If you write dates numerically in a certain style that is very
> common in Britain and also sometimes used in Canada, today is the
> 18th of September or 18/09. Therefore, here is a round about 1809.
>
> 1. In 1809 Napoleon's French Empire was at war with several other
> countries. Name any one of the countries that the French were
> fighting in the Peninsular War.

Portugal

> 2. Meanwhile on another peninsula, France completed its invasion
> and annexation of the Papal States. How did Pope Pius VII
> react to this?

he excommunicated Napoleon

> 3. On February 12, about 4,000 miles apart, there were born a
> future scientist and a future politician, both of whose fame
> still endures today. Name either one.

Lincoln

> 4. On June 8 the author of the 1776 pamphlet "Common Sense" died.
> Name him.

Paine

> 5. Name either the US president whose term ended in 1809, or the
> one who succeeded him.

Jefferson; Madison

> 6. Washington Irving's first major book was published in 1809 under
> the pseudonym of "Diedrich Knickerbocker". It was a satirical
> history of what city?

New York City

> 7. Robert Fulton received his first US patent in 1809, for what
> invention?

steamboat

> 9. In 1809 the governor of the Louisiana Territory was either
> murdered or committed suicide, but it's not clear which.
> He was previously known as an explorer. Name him.

Lewis; Clark
> 10. This Austrian composer of over 100 symphonies died in Vienna in
> 1809. The Requiem by his friend Mozart was played at his
> funeral. Name him.

Salieri

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809

<XnsB096756E2EE44Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5635&group=rec.games.trivia#5635

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 11:32:37 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 09:32 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - One-Word Movie Titles
>
> 2. From a novel subtitled "a novel about three army doctors".

MASH

> 6. The life and times of the former first lady of Argentina.

Evita

> 9. An alien creature comes to Earth to do a little hunting.

Alien

> 10. Remade several times. In the original a prehistoric creature
> attacks Tokyo.

Godzilla
> * Game 1, Round 8 - History - 1809
>
> 1. In 1809 Napoleon's French Empire was at war with several other
> countries. Name any one of the countries that the French were
> fighting in the Peninsular War.

Great Britain
> 2. Meanwhile on another peninsula, France completed its invasion
> and annexation of the Papal States. How did Pope Pius VII
> react to this?

He banned Napoleon
> 3. On February 12, about 4,000 miles apart, there were born a
> future scientist and a future politician, both of whose fame
> still endures today. Name either one.

Abraham Lincoln
> 4. On June 8 the author of the 1776 pamphlet "Common Sense" died.
> Name him.

Thomas Jefferson
> 5. Name either the US president whose term ended in 1809, or the
> one who succeeded him.

Madison
> 8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Meanwhile in Lower Canada,
> a steamboat financed by John Molson made its maiden voyage.
> Name either the starting point of the trip, or the endpoint.

I did decode into to rot13, but the text was unreadable?
> 10. This Austrian composer of over 100 symphonies died in Vienna in
> 1809. The Requiem by his friend Mozart was played at his
> funeral. Name him.

Haydn

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809

<ufrngf$lmk$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5636&group=rec.games.trivia#5636

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 13:46:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 13:46 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - One-Word Movie Titles

> 1. An unknown gets a shot at the heavyweight boxing championship.

Rocky

> 2. From a novel subtitled "a novel about three army doctors".

M*A*S*H

> 3. A strange creature attacks the crew of the spaceship Nostromo.

Alien

> 4. The daily lives of mobsters in New York.

Goodfellas

> 5. A former policeman suffers from acrophobia.

Vertigo

> 6. The life and times of the former first lady of Argentina.

Evita

> 7. The lives of music-hall performers in pre-Nazi Berlin.

Cabaret

> 8. A sheriff in a small town uncovers murder and kidnapping in
> the snow.

Fargo

> 9. An alien creature comes to Earth to do a little hunting.

Predator

> 10. Remade several times. In the original a prehistoric creature
> attacks Tokyo.

Godzilla

> * Game 1, Round 8 - History - 1809

> 1. In 1809 Napoleon's French Empire was at war with several other
> countries. Name any one of the countries that the French were
> fighting in the Peninsular War.

United Kingdom

> 3. On February 12, about 4,000 miles apart, there were born a
> future scientist and a future politician, both of whose fame
> still endures today. Name either one.

Abraham Lincoln

> 4. On June 8 the author of the 1776 pamphlet "Common Sense" died.
> Name him.

Thomas Paine

> 5. Name either the US president whose term ended in 1809, or the
> one who succeeded him.

Thomas Jefferson

> 6. Washington Irving's first major book was published in 1809 under
> the pseudonym of "Diedrich Knickerbocker". It was a satirical
> history of what city?

New York City

> 7. Robert Fulton received his first US patent in 1809, for what
> invention?

steamboat

> 10. This Austrian composer of over 100 symphonies died in Vienna in
> 1809. The Requiem by his friend Mozart was played at his
> funeral. Name him.

Schubert

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809

<927a33f6-b78a-4a4e-9fdc-83750387d57bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5637&group=rec.games.trivia#5637

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 06:47:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 13:47 UTC

On Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 2:21:56 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - One-Word Movie Titles
>
> We give a short description, and you give the one-word movie title.
>
> 1. An unknown gets a shot at the heavyweight boxing championship.

rocky

> 2. From a novel subtitled "a novel about three army doctors".

mash

> 3. A strange creature attacks the crew of the spaceship Nostromo.

alien

> 4. The daily lives of mobsters in New York.

wiseguy [might not be the one you were thinking of, but I liked it]

> 5. A former policeman suffers from acrophobia.

vertigo

> 6. The life and times of the former first lady of Argentina.

evita

> 7. The lives of music-hall performers in pre-Nazi Berlin.

cabaret

> 8. A sheriff in a small town uncovers murder and kidnapping in
> the snow.

fargo

> 9. An alien creature comes to Earth to do a little hunting.

predator

> 10. Remade several times. In the original a prehistoric creature
> attacks Tokyo.

godzilla

> * Game 1, Round 8 - History - 1809
>
> If you write dates numerically in a certain style that is very
> common in Britain and also sometimes used in Canada, today is the
> 18th of September or 18/09. Therefore, here is a round about 1809.
>
> The year, that is.
>
> 1. In 1809 Napoleon's French Empire was at war with several other
> countries. Name any one of the countries that the French were
> fighting in the Peninsular War.

spain ; portugal

> 2. Meanwhile on another peninsula, France completed its invasion
> and annexation of the Papal States. How did Pope Pius VII
> react to this?

he excommunicated napoleon

> 3. On February 12, about 4,000 miles apart, there were born a
> future scientist and a future politician, both of whose fame
> still endures today. Name either one.

darwin ; lincoln

> 4. On June 8 the author of the 1776 pamphlet "Common Sense" died.
> Name him.

thomas paine

> 5. Name either the US president whose term ended in 1809, or the
> one who succeeded him.

james madison; thomas jefferson

> 6. Washington Irving's first major book was published in 1809 under
> the pseudonym of "Diedrich Knickerbocker". It was a satirical
> history of what city?

new york?

> 7. Robert Fulton received his first US patent in 1809, for what
> invention?

steamboat

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Meanwhile in Lower Canada,
> a steamboat financed by John Molson made its maiden voyage.
> Name either the starting point of the trip, or the endpoint.

montreal?
[rot13?]

> 9. In 1809 the governor of the Louisiana Territory was either
> murdered or committed suicide, but it's not clear which.
> He was previously known as an explorer. Name him.

lewis

> 10. This Austrian composer of over 100 symphonies died in Vienna in
> 1809. The Requiem by his friend Mozart was played at his
> funeral. Name him.

haydn?

> --
> Mark Brader | ...I am constantly surprised by the questions which apparently
> Toronto | have not been litigated, at least to the point of producing
> m...@vex.net | an appellate decision. --Richard R. Hershberger
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809

<ufsgtc$2jjhb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5638&group=rec.games.trivia#5638

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 16:00:27 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 21:00 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - One-Word Movie Titles
>
> We give a short description, and you give the one-word movie title.
>
> 1. An unknown gets a shot at the heavyweight boxing championship.

Rocky

> 2. From a novel subtitled "a novel about three army doctors".

M*A*S*H

> 3. A strange creature attacks the crew of the spaceship Nostromo.

Alien

> 4. The daily lives of mobsters in New York.

Goodfellas

> 5. A former policeman suffers from acrophobia.

Spiderman

> 6. The life and times of the former first lady of Argentina.

Evita

> 7. The lives of music-hall performers in pre-Nazi Berlin.

Cabaret

> 8. A sheriff in a small town uncovers murder and kidnapping in
> the snow.

Fargo

> 9. An alien creature comes to Earth to do a little hunting.

Predator

> 10. Remade several times. In the original a prehistoric creature
> attacks Tokyo.

Godzilla

> * Game 1, Round 8 - History - 1809
>
> If you write dates numerically in a certain style that is very
> common in Britain and also sometimes used in Canada, today is the
> 18th of September or 18/09. Therefore, here is a round about 1809.
>
> The year, that is.
>
> 1. In 1809 Napoleon's French Empire was at war with several other
> countries. Name any one of the countries that the French were
> fighting in the Peninsular War.

Spain

> 2. Meanwhile on another peninsula, France completed its invasion
> and annexation of the Papal States. How did Pope Pius VII
> react to this?
>
> 3. On February 12, about 4,000 miles apart, there were born a
> future scientist and a future politician, both of whose fame
> still endures today. Name either one.
>
> 4. On June 8 the author of the 1776 pamphlet "Common Sense" died.
> Name him.

Thomas Paine

> 5. Name either the US president whose term ended in 1809, or the
> one who succeeded him.

John Quincy Adams

> 6. Washington Irving's first major book was published in 1809 under
> the pseudonym of "Diedrich Knickerbocker". It was a satirical
> history of what city?

New York

> 7. Robert Fulton received his first US patent in 1809, for what
> invention?

Steam Engine

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Meanwhile in Lower Canada,
> a steamboat financed by John Molson made its maiden voyage.
> Name either the starting point of the trip, or the endpoint.
>
> 9. In 1809 the governor of the Louisiana Territory was either
> murdered or committed suicide, but it's not clear which.
> He was previously known as an explorer. Name him.
>
> 10. This Austrian composer of over 100 symphonies died in Vienna in
> 1809. The Requiem by his friend Mozart was played at his
> funeral. Name him.

Haydn

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: 1-word titles, 1809

<uft1kk$2ndul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5639&group=rec.games.trivia#5639

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 18:45:56 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 01:45 UTC

On 10/6/23 23:21, Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - One-Word Movie Titles
>
> We give a short description, and you give the one-word movie title.
>
> 1. An unknown gets a shot at the heavyweight boxing championship.

Rocky

> 2. From a novel subtitled "a novel about three army doctors".

MASH

> 3. A strange creature attacks the crew of the spaceship Nostromo.

Alien

> 4. The daily lives of mobsters in New York.

Goodfellas

> 5. A former policeman suffers from acrophobia.
> 6. The life and times of the former first lady of Argentina.

Evita

> 7. The lives of music-hall performers in pre-Nazi Berlin.

Cabaret

> 8. A sheriff in a small town uncovers murder and kidnapping in
> the snow.

Fargo

> 9. An alien creature comes to Earth to do a little hunting.

Predator

> 10. Remade several times. In the original a prehistoric creature
> attacks Tokyo.

Godzilla

> * Game 1, Round 8 - History - 1809
>
> If you write dates numerically in a certain style that is very
> common in Britain and also sometimes used in Canada, today is the
> 18th of September or 18/09. Therefore, here is a round about 1809.
>
> The year, that is.
>
> 1. In 1809 Napoleon's French Empire was at war with several other
> countries. Name any one of the countries that the French were
> fighting in the Peninsular War.

United Kingdom

> 2. Meanwhile on another peninsula, France completed its invasion
> and annexation of the Papal States. How did Pope Pius VII
> react to this?

excommunicated Napoleon

> 3. On February 12, about 4,000 miles apart, there were born a
> future scientist and a future politician, both of whose fame
> still endures today. Name either one.

Charles Darwin

> 4. On June 8 the author of the 1776 pamphlet "Common Sense" died.
> Name him.

Thomas Paine

> 5. Name either the US president whose term ended in 1809, or the
> one who succeeded him.

James Madison

> 6. Washington Irving's first major book was published in 1809 under
> the pseudonym of "Diedrich Knickerbocker". It was a satirical
> history of what city?

New York

> 7. Robert Fulton received his first US patent in 1809, for what
> invention?

steamboat

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Meanwhile in Lower Canada,
> a steamboat financed by John Molson made its maiden voyage.
> Name either the starting point of the trip, or the endpoint.

Quebec City; Trois-Rivieres

> 9. In 1809 the governor of the Louisiana Territory was either
> murdered or committed suicide, but it's not clear which.
> He was previously known as an explorer. Name him.

Meriwether Lewis

--
Dan Tilque

QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: 1-word titles, 1809

<kfacnZeWbM_Aurv4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5640&group=rec.games.trivia#5640

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: 1-word titles, 1809
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 04:41:01 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 04:41 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Sorry, I'm a day late again.

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The history round.

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - One-Word Movie Titles

> We give a short description, and you give the one-word movie title.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. An unknown gets a shot at the heavyweight boxing championship.

"Rocky" (1976). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. From a novel subtitled "a novel about three army doctors".

"MASH" (1970). 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

The spelling "M*A*S*H" was introduced in posters for the movie and
used for the TV series, but was never the movie title.

> 3. A strange creature attacks the crew of the spaceship Nostromo.

"Alien" (1979). (Not "Aliens" or other sequels -- the Nostromo is
not in those.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. The daily lives of mobsters in New York.

"GoodFellas" (1990). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. A former policeman suffers from acrophobia.

"Vertigo" (1958). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 6. The life and times of the former first lady of Argentina.

"Evita" (1996). 4 for everyone.

> 7. The lives of music-hall performers in pre-Nazi Berlin.

"Cabaret" (1972). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. A sheriff in a small town uncovers murder and kidnapping in
> the snow.

"Fargo" (1996). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. An alien creature comes to Earth to do a little hunting.

"Predator" (1987). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Remade several times. In the original a prehistoric creature
> attacks Tokyo.

"Godzilla" or "Gojira" (1954). 4 for everyone.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - History - 1809

> If you write dates numerically in a certain style that is very
> common in Britain and also sometimes used in Canada, today is the
> 18th of September or 18/09. Therefore, here is a round about 1809.

> The year, that is.

> 1. In 1809 Napoleon's French Empire was at war with several other
> countries. Name any one of the countries that the French were
> fighting in the Peninsular War.

Spain, Portugal, UK ("England" was acceptable). 4 for Joshua,
Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen (the hard way), Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Meanwhile on another peninsula, France completed its invasion
> and annexation of the Papal States. How did Pope Pius VII
> react to this?

He excommunicated Napoleon. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. On February 12, about 4,000 miles apart, there were born a
> future scientist and a future politician, both of whose fame
> still endures today. Name either one.

Charles Darwin, Abraham Lincoln. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum,
Stephen (the hard way), and Dan Tilque.

> 4. On June 8 the author of the 1776 pamphlet "Common Sense" died.
> Name him.

Thomas Paine. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Name either the US president whose term ended in 1809, or the
> one who succeeded him.

Thomas Jefferson, James Madison. 4 for Joshua (the hard way),
Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen (the hard way), and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Washington Irving's first major book was published in 1809 under
> the pseudonym of "Diedrich Knickerbocker". It was a satirical
> history of what city?

New York. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Robert Fulton received his first US patent in 1809, for what
> invention?

Steamboat. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Meanwhile in Lower Canada,
> a steamboat financed by John Molson made its maiden voyage.
> Name either the starting point of the trip, or the endpoint.

Montreal, Quebec City. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Tilque.

Sorry about the non-rot13 there.

> 9. In 1809 the governor of the Louisiana Territory was either
> murdered or committed suicide, but it's not clear which.
> He was previously known as an explorer. Name him.

Meriwether Lewis. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

> 10. This Austrian composer of over 100 symphonies died in Vienna in
> 1809. The Requiem by his friend Mozart was played at his
> funeral. Name him.

Joseph Haydn. 4 for Erland, Stephen, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Mis Sci Spo Lit Ent His FOUR
Stephen Perry 28 40 32 36 36 40 152
Joshua Kreitzer 12 35 12 28 40 31 134
Dan Blum 16 32 8 22 40 24 118
Dan Tilque 12 28 12 11 36 35 111
Pete Gayde 0 8 -- -- 36 16 60
Erland Sommarskog -- -- -- -- 12 16 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Just because it's correct doesn't
msb@vex.net make it right!" -- Jonas Schlein