The tree in which the sap is stagnant remains fruitless. -- Hosea Ballou

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: neighborhoods, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge roundMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge roundPete Gayde
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge roundDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge roundswp
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge roundDan Blum
`- QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: neighborhoods, challenge roundMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge round

<m8OcndcAL4xLurv4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5641&group=rec.games.trivia#5641

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge round
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 04:43:02 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 04:43 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 1, Round 9 -- Canadiana Geography -- City Neighborhoods

We name three districts or neighborhoods, and you name the Canadian
city where they are located. For example, we say Rosedale, Mimico,
and Forest Hill, and you say Toronto.

1. Britannia, Alta Vista, and Sandy Hill.
2. Walkerville, Old Sandwich, and Riverside.
3. Place-Royal, Place d'Youville [both pronounced as French],
and Lower Town.
4. Deschenes ["day-SHEN"], Aylmer, Hull.

Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
above questions. Sbe gur erfg bs gur ebhaq, lbh ner fgvyy anzvat
pvgvrf, ohg sebz urer ba, gurve cebivaprf jvyy abg ercrng.

5. Oak Bay, Sidney, and Saanich ["SAN-nitch"].
6. Clayton Park, Fairview, and Kingswood.
7. Cathedral area, Albert Street South, and Germantown.
8. Glenora, Westmount, and Lansdowne.
9. Kenmount Terrace, Southland, the Narrows.
10. Inkster, Point Douglas, and River Heights.

** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Entertainment: Comedies by Fetish

A1. In what classic comedy movie from about 65 years ago does
the sexy female lead character have a fetish for men playing
the saxophone -- especially tenor sax?

A2. In what classic comedy movie from about 35 years ago does the
sexy female lead character have a fetish for foreign
languages -- notably, Italian and Russian?

* B. Geography: Museums of Upstate New York

B1. The George Eastman Museum is the world's oldest museum
of photography, covering both the art and the technology.
What city is it in?

B2. The Museum of Glass likewise covers both the art and the
science of glassmaking. Its full name begins with the city
where it is: what city?

* C. History: Sex Beats Violence

C1. In 2000 the US presidential election came down to a Supreme
Court battle over recounts. We all know what happened,
but what exactly was the title of the case? That is, it
was *who or what* versus *who or what*? (Hint: See the
category title, har-har-har.)

C2. Turning from real-life history to historical fiction,
"Saving Private Ryan" was nominated for the Oscar for
Best Picture of 1998, but it didn't win. What movie did?
(Hint: See the category title.}

* D. Name that Science

D1. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
Absolute magnitude, gamma-ray burster, eccentricity, brown
dwarf, red giant, right ascension and declination.

D2. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
Recombinant, dominant, diploid, base pair, point mutation,
crossover, restriction enzyme, nucleotide.

* E. Literature: Spell that Character

E1. In novels by Sara Paretsky, you will read about private
detective Victoria ["Iffy-Jeanie-a" "war-shaw-ski"].
*Spell* either her middle name or her surname.

E2. In novels by George R.R. Martin, you will read about
["Duh-nair-ris Tar-gair-ee-en"], a member of a royal family.
*Spell* either her first name or her surname.

* F. Canadiana: It's More Patriotic This Way

F1. The last time that the words of "O Canada" were officially
changed was in 2018. Two words were replaced with two
other words. What changed?

F2. In 1916 the name of a city in Ontario was changed because
it sounded too German. What was the *old* name?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You are becoming far too reasonable.
msb@vex.net | I worry about you." --Tony Cooper

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge round

<ug5c32$1lrr4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5642&group=rec.games.trivia#5642

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 00:33:21 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 05:33 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 9 -- Canadiana Geography -- City Neighborhoods
>
> We name three districts or neighborhoods, and you name the Canadian
> city where they are located. For example, we say Rosedale, Mimico,
> and Forest Hill, and you say Toronto.
>
> 1. Britannia, Alta Vista, and Sandy Hill.
> 2. Walkerville, Old Sandwich, and Riverside.
> 3. Place-Royal, Place d'Youville [both pronounced as French],
> and Lower Town.

Quebec

> 4. Deschenes ["day-SHEN"], Aylmer, Hull.
>
> Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> above questions. Sbe gur erfg bs gur ebhaq, lbh ner fgvyy anzvat
> pvgvrf, ohg sebz urer ba, gurve cebivaprf jvyy abg ercrng.
>
> 5. Oak Bay, Sidney, and Saanich ["SAN-nitch"].
> 6. Clayton Park, Fairview, and Kingswood.
> 7. Cathedral area, Albert Street South, and Germantown.
> 8. Glenora, Westmount, and Lansdowne.
> 9. Kenmount Terrace, Southland, the Narrows.
> 10. Inkster, Point Douglas, and River Heights.
>

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Entertainment: Comedies by Fetish
>
> A1. In what classic comedy movie from about 65 years ago does
> the sexy female lead character have a fetish for men playing
> the saxophone -- especially tenor sax?
>
> A2. In what classic comedy movie from about 35 years ago does the
> sexy female lead character have a fetish for foreign
> languages -- notably, Italian and Russian?
>

> * B. Geography: Museums of Upstate New York
>
> B1. The George Eastman Museum is the world's oldest museum
> of photography, covering both the art and the technology.
> What city is it in?

Rochester

> B2. The Museum of Glass likewise covers both the art and the
> science of glassmaking. Its full name begins with the city
> where it is: what city?
>

> * C. History: Sex Beats Violence
>
> C1. In 2000 the US presidential election came down to a Supreme
> Court battle over recounts. We all know what happened,
> but what exactly was the title of the case? That is, it
> was *who or what* versus *who or what*? (Hint: See the
> category title, har-har-har.)

Bush vs Gore

> C2. Turning from real-life history to historical fiction,
> "Saving Private Ryan" was nominated for the Oscar for
> Best Picture of 1998, but it didn't win. What movie did?
> (Hint: See the category title.}
>

> * D. Name that Science
>
> D1. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Absolute magnitude, gamma-ray burster, eccentricity, brown
> dwarf, red giant, right ascension and declination.
>
> D2. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Recombinant, dominant, diploid, base pair, point mutation,
> crossover, restriction enzyme, nucleotide.

Genetics

> * E. Literature: Spell that Character
>
> E1. In novels by Sara Paretsky, you will read about private
> detective Victoria ["Iffy-Jeanie-a" "war-shaw-ski"].
> *Spell* either her middle name or her surname.

Iphegenia

> E2. In novels by George R.R. Martin, you will read about
> ["Duh-nair-ris Tar-gair-ee-en"], a member of a royal family.
> *Spell* either her first name or her surname.

Danaerys

> * F. Canadiana: It's More Patriotic This Way
>
> F1. The last time that the words of "O Canada" were officially
> changed was in 2018. Two words were replaced with two
> other words. What changed?
>
> F2. In 1916 the name of a city in Ontario was changed because
> it sounded too German. What was the *old* name?

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge round

<ug5gf3$1mmvn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5643&group=rec.games.trivia#5643

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 23:48:00 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 06:48 UTC

On 10/10/23 21:43, Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 9 -- Canadiana Geography -- City Neighborhoods
>
> We name three districts or neighborhoods, and you name the Canadian
> city where they are located. For example, we say Rosedale, Mimico,
> and Forest Hill, and you say Toronto.
>
> 1. Britannia, Alta Vista, and Sandy Hill.

Hamilton

> 2. Walkerville, Old Sandwich, and Riverside.

Windsor

> 3. Place-Royal, Place d'Youville [both pronounced as French],
> and Lower Town.

Montreal

> 4. Deschenes ["day-SHEN"], Aylmer, Hull.

Gatineau

> Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> above questions. Sbe gur erfg bs gur ebhaq, lbh ner fgvyy anzvat
> pvgvrf, ohg sebz urer ba, gurve cebivaprf jvyy abg ercrng.
>
> 5. Oak Bay, Sidney, and Saanich ["SAN-nitch"].

Victoria

> 6. Clayton Park, Fairview, and Kingswood.
> 7. Cathedral area, Albert Street South, and Germantown.

Calgary; Edmonton

> 8. Glenora, Westmount, and Lansdowne.
> 9. Kenmount Terrace, Southland, the Narrows.

Winnipeg

> 10. Inkster, Point Douglas, and River Heights.
>

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Entertainment: Comedies by Fetish
>
> A1. In what classic comedy movie from about 65 years ago does
> the sexy female lead character have a fetish for men playing
> the saxophone -- especially tenor sax?
>
> A2. In what classic comedy movie from about 35 years ago does the
> sexy female lead character have a fetish for foreign
> languages -- notably, Italian and Russian?
>

> * B. Geography: Museums of Upstate New York
>
> B1. The George Eastman Museum is the world's oldest museum
> of photography, covering both the art and the technology.
> What city is it in?

Rochester

> B2. The Museum of Glass likewise covers both the art and the
> science of glassmaking. Its full name begins with the city
> where it is: what city?

Ithaca

> * C. History: Sex Beats Violence
>
> C1. In 2000 the US presidential election came down to a Supreme
> Court battle over recounts. We all know what happened,
> but what exactly was the title of the case? That is, it
> was *who or what* versus *who or what*? (Hint: See the
> category title, har-har-har.)

Bush v Gore

> C2. Turning from real-life history to historical fiction,
> "Saving Private Ryan" was nominated for the Oscar for
> Best Picture of 1998, but it didn't win. What movie did?
> (Hint: See the category title.}
>

> * D. Name that Science
>
> D1. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Absolute magnitude, gamma-ray burster, eccentricity, brown
> dwarf, red giant, right ascension and declination.

astronomy

> D2. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Recombinant, dominant, diploid, base pair, point mutation,
> crossover, restriction enzyme, nucleotide.

genomics

> * E. Literature: Spell that Character
>
> E1. In novels by Sara Paretsky, you will read about private
> detective Victoria ["Iffy-Jeanie-a" "war-shaw-ski"].
> *Spell* either her middle name or her surname.
>
> E2. In novels by George R.R. Martin, you will read about
> ["Duh-nair-ris Tar-gair-ee-en"], a member of a royal family.
> *Spell* either her first name or her surname.
>

> * F. Canadiana: It's More Patriotic This Way
>
> F1. The last time that the words of "O Canada" were officially
> changed was in 2018. Two words were replaced with two
> other words. What changed?

"thy sons" to "of us"

> F2. In 1916 the name of a city in Ontario was changed because
> it sounded too German. What was the *old* name?

Berlin

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge round

<9dc82e62-e3d4-4b4e-8020-11911973c763n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5644&group=rec.games.trivia#5644

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 15:51:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 22:51 UTC

On Wednesday, October 11, 2023 at 12:43:14 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.

the challenge round

> * Game 1, Round 9 -- Canadiana Geography -- City Neighborhoods
>
> We name three districts or neighborhoods, and you name the Canadian
> city where they are located. For example, we say Rosedale, Mimico,
> and Forest Hill, and you say Toronto.
>
> 1. Britannia, Alta Vista, and Sandy Hill.

ottawa

> 2. Walkerville, Old Sandwich, and Riverside.

st john ; toronto

> 3. Place-Royal, Place d'Youville [both pronounced as French],
> and Lower Town.

quebec

> 4. Deschenes ["day-SHEN"], Aylmer, Hull.

quebec

> Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> above questions. Sbe gur erfg bs gur ebhaq, lbh ner fgvyy anzvat
> pvgvrf, ohg sebz urer ba, gurve cebivaprf jvyy abg ercrng.
>
> 5. Oak Bay, Sidney, and Saanich ["SAN-nitch"].

vancouver

> 6. Clayton Park, Fairview, and Kingswood.

saskatchewan

> 7. Cathedral area, Albert Street South, and Germantown.

saskatchewan

> 8. Glenora, Westmount, and Lansdowne.

saskatchewan

> 9. Kenmount Terrace, Southland, the Narrows.

saskatchewan

> 10. Inkster, Point Douglas, and River Heights.

saskatchewan

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Entertainment: Comedies by Fetish
>
> A1. In what classic comedy movie from about 65 years ago does
> the sexy female lead character have a fetish for men playing
> the saxophone -- especially tenor sax?

kings go forth ? [sinatra was in it]

> A2. In what classic comedy movie from about 35 years ago does the
> sexy female lead character have a fetish for foreign
> languages -- notably, Italian and Russian?

a fish called wanda

> * B. Geography: Museums of Upstate New York
>
> B1. The George Eastman Museum is the world's oldest museum
> of photography, covering both the art and the technology.
> What city is it in?

rochester ny

> B2. The Museum of Glass likewise covers both the art and the
> science of glassmaking. Its full name begins with the city
> where it is: what city?

corning ny?

> * C. History: Sex Beats Violence
>
> C1. In 2000 the US presidential election came down to a Supreme
> Court battle over recounts. We all know what happened,
> but what exactly was the title of the case? That is, it
> was *who or what* versus *who or what*? (Hint: See the
> category title, har-har-har.)

bush v. gore

> C2. Turning from real-life history to historical fiction,
> "Saving Private Ryan" was nominated for the Oscar for
> Best Picture of 1998, but it didn't win. What movie did?
> (Hint: See the category title.}

titanic

> * D. Name that Science
>
> D1. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Absolute magnitude, gamma-ray burster, eccentricity, brown
> dwarf, red giant, right ascension and declination.

astronomy

> D2. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Recombinant, dominant, diploid, base pair, point mutation,
> crossover, restriction enzyme, nucleotide.

genetics

> * E. Literature: Spell that Character

uh oh

> E1. In novels by Sara Paretsky, you will read about private
> detective Victoria ["Iffy-Jeanie-a" "war-shaw-ski"].
> *Spell* either her middle name or her surname.

warshawski

> E2. In novels by George R.R. Martin, you will read about
> ["Duh-nair-ris Tar-gair-ee-en"], a member of a royal family.
> *Spell* either her first name or her surname.

targaryen

> * F. Canadiana: It's More Patriotic This Way
>
> F1. The last time that the words of "O Canada" were officially
> changed was in 2018. Two words were replaced with two
> other words. What changed?

"thy sons" , "of us"

> F2. In 1916 the name of a city in Ontario was changed because
> it sounded too German. What was the *old* name?

berlin?

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "You are becoming far too reasonable.
> m...@vex.net | I worry about you." --Tony Cooper
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge round

<4ae1b026-114a-46a8-91d3-7512bc15a89fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5645&group=rec.games.trivia#5645

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 17:36:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 00:36 UTC

On Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 11:43:14 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 1, Round 9 -- Canadiana Geography -- City Neighborhoods
>
> We name three districts or neighborhoods, and you name the Canadian
> city where they are located. For example, we say Rosedale, Mimico,
> and Forest Hill, and you say Toronto.

I'll pass on this one.

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Entertainment: Comedies by Fetish
>
> A1. In what classic comedy movie from about 65 years ago does
> the sexy female lead character have a fetish for men playing
> the saxophone -- especially tenor sax?

"Some Like It Hot"

> A2. In what classic comedy movie from about 35 years ago does the
> sexy female lead character have a fetish for foreign
> languages -- notably, Italian and Russian?

"A Fish Called Wanda"

> * B. Geography: Museums of Upstate New York
>
> B1. The George Eastman Museum is the world's oldest museum
> of photography, covering both the art and the technology.
> What city is it in?

Rochester

> B2. The Museum of Glass likewise covers both the art and the
> science of glassmaking. Its full name begins with the city
> where it is: what city?

Corning

> * C. History: Sex Beats Violence
>
> C1. In 2000 the US presidential election came down to a Supreme
> Court battle over recounts. We all know what happened,
> but what exactly was the title of the case? That is, it
> was *who or what* versus *who or what*? (Hint: See the
> category title, har-har-har.)

Bush v. Gore

> C2. Turning from real-life history to historical fiction,
> "Saving Private Ryan" was nominated for the Oscar for
> Best Picture of 1998, but it didn't win. What movie did?
> (Hint: See the category title.}

"Shakespeare in Love"

> * D. Name that Science
>
> D1. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Absolute magnitude, gamma-ray burster, eccentricity, brown
> dwarf, red giant, right ascension and declination.

astronomy

> D2. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Recombinant, dominant, diploid, base pair, point mutation,
> crossover, restriction enzyme, nucleotide.

genetics

> * E. Literature: Spell that Character
>
> E1. In novels by Sara Paretsky, you will read about private
> detective Victoria ["Iffy-Jeanie-a" "war-shaw-ski"].
> *Spell* either her middle name or her surname.

Warshawski

> E2. In novels by George R.R. Martin, you will read about
> ["Duh-nair-ris Tar-gair-ee-en"], a member of a royal family.
> *Spell* either her first name or her surname.

Daenerys

> * F. Canadiana: It's More Patriotic This Way
>
> F1. The last time that the words of "O Canada" were officially
> changed was in 2018. Two words were replaced with two
> other words. What changed?

"thy sons" was changed to "of us"

> F2. In 1916 the name of a city in Ontario was changed because
> it sounded too German. What was the *old* name?

Berlin

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge round

<XnsB09BD4C7CAD5Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5646&group=rec.games.trivia#5646

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 20:55:01 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 18:55 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Entertainment: Comedies by Fetish
> * D. Name that Science
>
> D1. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Absolute magnitude, gamma-ray burster, eccentricity, brown
> dwarf, red giant, right ascension and declination.

Astronomy
> D2. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Recombinant, dominant, diploid, base pair, point mutation,
> crossover, restriction enzyme, nucleotide.

Genetics
> * E. Literature: Spell that Character
>
> E1. In novels by Sara Paretsky, you will read about private
> detective Victoria ["Iffy-Jeanie-a" "war-shaw-ski"].
> *Spell* either her middle name or her surname.

Warszawski

Re: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: neighborhoods, challenge round

<ugak9q$g5m$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5647&group=rec.games.trivia#5647

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 05:24:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 05:24 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 9 -- Canadiana Geography -- City Neighborhoods

> 1. Britannia, Alta Vista, and Sandy Hill.

Halifax

> 3. Place-Royal, Place d'Youville [both pronounced as French],
> and Lower Town.

Quebec City

> 4. Deschenes ["day-SHEN"], Aylmer, Hull.

Montreal

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Entertainment: Comedies by Fetish

> A2. In what classic comedy movie from about 35 years ago does the
> sexy female lead character have a fetish for foreign
> languages -- notably, Italian and Russian?

A Fish Called Wanda

> * B. Geography: Museums of Upstate New York

> B1. The George Eastman Museum is the world's oldest museum
> of photography, covering both the art and the technology.
> What city is it in?

Rochester

> B2. The Museum of Glass likewise covers both the art and the
> science of glassmaking. Its full name begins with the city
> where it is: what city?

Corning

> * C. History: Sex Beats Violence

> C1. In 2000 the US presidential election came down to a Supreme
> Court battle over recounts. We all know what happened,
> but what exactly was the title of the case? That is, it
> was *who or what* versus *who or what*? (Hint: See the
> category title, har-har-har.)

Bush vs. Gore

> C2. Turning from real-life history to historical fiction,
> "Saving Private Ryan" was nominated for the Oscar for
> Best Picture of 1998, but it didn't win. What movie did?
> (Hint: See the category title.}

The People vs. Larry Flynt

> * D. Name that Science

> D1. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Absolute magnitude, gamma-ray burster, eccentricity, brown
> dwarf, red giant, right ascension and declination.

astronomy

> D2. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Recombinant, dominant, diploid, base pair, point mutation,
> crossover, restriction enzyme, nucleotide.

genetics

> * E. Literature: Spell that Character

> E1. In novels by Sara Paretsky, you will read about private
> detective Victoria ["Iffy-Jeanie-a" "war-shaw-ski"].
> *Spell* either her middle name or her surname.

Iphigenia

> E2. In novels by George R.R. Martin, you will read about
> ["Duh-nair-ris Tar-gair-ee-en"], a member of a royal family.
> *Spell* either her first name or her surname.

Targaeryen

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: neighborhoods, challenge round

<-cidndGYlaKMqLf4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5648&group=rec.games.trivia#5648

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: neighborhoods, challenge round
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:28:33 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:28 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-18,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 1 is over and STEPHEN PERRY is the winner. Hearty congratulations!

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The challenge round.

> * Game 1, Round 9 -- Canadiana Geography -- City Neighborhoods

> We name three districts or neighborhoods, and you name the Canadian
> city where they are located. For example, we say Rosedale, Mimico,
> and Forest Hill, and you say Toronto.

> 1. Britannia, Alta Vista, and Sandy Hill.

Ottawa. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. Walkerville, Old Sandwich, and Riverside.

Windsor. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 3. Place-Royal, Place d'Youville [both pronounced as French],
> and Lower Town.

Quebec (City). 4 for Pete, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> 4. Deschenes ["day-SHEN"], Aylmer, Hull.

Gatineau. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> above questions. For the rest of the round, you are still naming
> cities, but from here on, their provinces will not repeat.

> 5. Oak Bay, Sidney, and Saanich ["SAN-nitch"].

Victoria. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. Clayton Park, Fairview, and Kingswood.

Halifax.

> 7. Cathedral area, Albert Street South, and Germantown.

Regina.

> 8. Glenora, Westmount, and Lansdowne.

Edmonton.

> 9. Kenmount Terrace, Southland, the Narrows.

St. John's.

St. John is wrong, of course -- different city in a different province.

> 10. Inkster, Point Douglas, and River Heights.

Winnipeg.

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Entertainment: Comedies by Fetish

> A1. In what classic comedy movie from about 65 years ago does
> the sexy female lead character have a fetish for men playing
> the saxophone -- especially tenor sax?

"Some Like It Hot" (1959; Marilyn Monroe as "Sugar" Kane).
4 for Joshua.

"They just curdle me", she says. "All they have to do is play 8 bars
of 'Come to Me My Melancholy Baby' -- and my spine turns to custard,
and I get goose-pimply all over -- and I come to them."

> A2. In what classic comedy movie from about 35 years ago does the
> sexy female lead character have a fetish for foreign
> languages -- notably, Italian and Russian?

"A Fish Called Wanda" (1988; Jamie Lee Curtis as Wanda Gerschwitz).
4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

"Speak it!" she says in bed. "Speak it!"

> * B. Geography: Museums of Upstate New York

> B1. The George Eastman Museum is the world's oldest museum
> of photography, covering both the art and the technology.
> What city is it in?

Rochester. 4 for Pete, Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> B2. The Museum of Glass likewise covers both the art and the
> science of glassmaking. Its full name begins with the city
> where it is: what city?

Corning. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

Ithaca was a good guess; it's less than 50 miles from there.

> * C. History: Sex Beats Violence

> C1. In 2000 the US presidential election came down to a Supreme
> Court battle over recounts. We all know what happened,
> but what exactly was the title of the case? That is, it
> was *who or what* versus *who or what*? (Hint: See the
> category title, har-har-har.)

Bush v. Gore. 4 for Pete, Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> C2. Turning from real-life history to historical fiction,
> "Saving Private Ryan" was nominated for the Oscar for
> Best Picture of 1998, but it didn't win. What movie did?
> (Hint: See the category title.}

"Shakespeare in Love". 4 for Joshua.

> * D. Name that Science

> D1. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Absolute magnitude, gamma-ray burster, eccentricity, brown
> dwarf, red giant, right ascension and declination.

Astronomy. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> D2. In what field of science would people use all these terms?
> Recombinant, dominant, diploid, base pair, point mutation,
> crossover, restriction enzyme, nucleotide.

Genetics. I also accepted genomics. 4 for everyone -- Pete,
Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> * E. Literature: Spell that Character

> E1. In novels by Sara Paretsky, you will read about private
> detective Victoria ["Iffy-Jeanie-a" "war-shaw-ski"].
> *Spell* either her middle name or her surname.

Iphigenia, Warshawski. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> E2. In novels by George R.R. Martin, you will read about
> ["Duh-nair-ris Tar-gair-ee-en"], a member of a royal family.
> *Spell* either her first name or her surname.

Daenerys, Targaryen. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> * F. Canadiana: It's More Patriotic This Way

> F1. The last time that the words of "O Canada" were officially
> changed was in 2018. Two words were replaced with two
> other words. What changed?

"Thy sons" changed to "of us" (making "True patriot love in all of
us command"). 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Joshua.

> F2. In 1916 the name of a city in Ontario was changed because
> it sounded too German. What was the *old* name?

Berlin. (Changed to Kitchener.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen,
and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Mis Sci Spo Lit Ent His Can Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 28 40 32 36 36 40 8 40 224
Joshua Kreitzer 12 35 12 28 40 31 0 48 194
Dan Blum 16 32 8 22 40 24 4 28 162
Dan Tilque 12 28 12 11 36 35 12 24 147
Pete Gayde 0 8 -- -- 36 16 4 12 76
Erland Sommarskog -- -- -- -- 12 16 0 8 36

--
Mark Brader | "Design an idiot-proof system, and the universe
Toronto | will spontaneously evolve a higher grade of idiot