Some rise by sin and some by virtue fall.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future events

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future eventsMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future eventsErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future eventsswp
+- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future eventsDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future eventsJoshua Kreitzer
+* QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future eventsDan Tilque
|`- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future eventsMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future eventsPete Gayde
`* QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: common cause, future eventsMark Brader
 `* QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: common cause, future eventsswp
  `- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: common cause, future eventsMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future events

<gtednf1UYoKSq7f4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5650&group=rec.games.trivia#5650

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future events
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:32:47 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:32 UTC

Arrgh. This time I remembered to start a new thread, but forgot
to give it a new subject line. Please respond to either posting
with your entry, but preferably this one.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote both of these rounds.

* Game 2, Round 2 - History - Common Cause

For the first 9 questions, name these famous people.

1. This American actress who lived 1926-2021 was a Miss Chicago
winner. She played the same character first on the "Mary Tyler
Moore" show, then on a spinoff; later she won an Oscar for
"The Last Picture Show". She was over 80 when she competed on
"Dancing with the Stars".

2. This American actress who lived 1938-2020 was a Miss Nevada
winner and is best remembered for her 3 years appearing on
"Gilligan's Island", although she did win an International
Independent Film Award for the 2017 TV-movie "Life Interrupted".

3. When George Lucas was filming the original movie "Star Wars",
the actor playing Darth Vader was concerned that his costume
would muffle his voice too much, but Lucas assured him the
lines would be re-recorded in post-production. And they were
-- by James Earl Jones. Name the British actor, who lived
1935-2020, who appears onscreen in costume but whose Devon
accent is never heard.

4. This American lived 1934-2020. His pitching career, starting
with the Memphis Red Sox in the Negro American League, never
took off, but his second career was lucrative enough to buy
part-ownership of the Texas Rangers. In the 1970s he won his
first Grammy, in the category "Best Sacred Performance (Musical),
for "Did You Think to Pray?", and his first AMA award, in the
category Favorite Country Album, for "A Sunshiny Day".

5. Another American pitcher lived 1944-2020, and spent 20 years
in the major leagues. He is one of the few to have accumulated
300 wins, 3,000 strikeouts, and a career ERA. less than 3. In a
1970 game as a New York Met he struck out 10 consecutive batters,
and in a 1978 game for Cincinnati he pitched a no-hitter.

6. This German-born American entertainer lived 1939-2021. He and
his partner were famous for their dual act on stage with big
cats until he was attacked by one of them and gravely injured.
The two men named their act after their first names. Either name
the act or give the last name of the man we're asking about.

7. This British comedy writer-actor lived 1940-2020. He was perhaps
best known as a member of "The Goodies", but also appeared on
the TV shows "At Last the 1948 Show", "How to Irritate People",
and "You Must Be the Husband", as well as the radio shows "I'm
Sorry, I'll Read That Again" and "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue".

8. This American man lived 1937-2021. Between 1958 and 1989 he
rose through the ranks of the army to become a full general.
Ronald Reagan made him National Security Advisor, and George
W. Bush made him Secretary of State.

9. This American banker who became a politician lived 1945-2020.
He supported the Tea Party movement and advocated a flat 9%
rate on various taxes. He was a candidate for the Republican
presidential nomination for 2012. In 2020 his last political
act was to attend a Donald Trump rally in Tulsa.

10. After you're done with the rest, decode the rot13 to see the
last question. Nyy gurfr crbcyr jr nfxrq nobhg unq n pnhfr
bs qrngu va pbzzba -- va fbzr pnfrf n pbagevohgvat pnhfr,
va bguref gur cevznel pnhfr. Jung jnf vg?

* Game 2, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Future Events

Round 1 tonight was about current events, and Round 2 was about
past events. For Round 3, then, we have future events. Okay,
we must acknowledge that what with possible strikes, wars, riots,
financial or governmental failures, hurricanes, pandemics, or other
natural or man-made interference, it's possible some of them won't
happen exactly as we specify; but please answer based on the best
information we now know.

1. What will happen on Friday, July 26, 2024, at 20:24, which is
to say 8:24 pm, in Paris?

2. What will happen on Sunday, April 13, 2025, in Osaka, Japan?

3. What will happen on Sunday, December 10, 2023, in Oslo probably
at about 1 pm, and in Stockholm probably at about 4 pm?

4. What will happen throughout Canada on Monday, October 20, 2025?

5. What will happen on Monday, January 20, 2025, at noon in
Washington DC?

6. What will happen on Sunday, November 19, 2023, starting at 6 pm,
in Hamilton?

7. What will happen on Sunday, March 10, 2024, probably starting
at 5 pm, in Los Angeles?

8. What will happen on Monday, April 8, 2024, entering Canada
about 3:15 pm near Point Pelee and leaving about 5:15 pm local
time near St. John's?

9. What will happen on Monday, November 27, starting at 7:30 pm,
in Toronto?

10. What will happen on at various times on Thursday, March 28,
2024, in or near Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas,
Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City,
Oakland, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, and Tampa?

--
Mark Brader "One might as well complain about the Sun
Toronto rising in the daytime instead of at night,

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future events

<XnsB09D6F241A37FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5651&group=rec.games.trivia#5651

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 10:55:32 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 08:55 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 2, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Future Events
>
> 1. What will happen on Friday, July 26, 2024, at 20:24, which is
> to say 8:24 pm, in Paris?

Inaugration of the Summer Olympics
> 3. What will happen on Sunday, December 10, 2023, in Oslo probably
> at about 1 pm, and in Stockholm probably at about 4 pm?

The Nobel Prizes will be awarded.
> 4. What will happen throughout Canada on Monday, October 20, 2025?

Parliamental election
> 5. What will happen on Monday, January 20, 2025, at noon in
> Washington DC?

The winner of the presential election is installed.
> 7. What will happen on Sunday, March 10, 2024, probably starting
> at 5 pm, in Los Angeles?

Super Bowl
> 8. What will happen on Monday, April 8, 2024, entering Canada
> about 3:15 pm near Point Pelee and leaving about 5:15 pm local
> time near St. John's?

Partial solar eclipse.
> 9. What will happen on Monday, November 27, starting at 7:30 pm,
> in Toronto?

A new working day beings

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future events

<5fb1a1c1-04f2-458f-bcf3-37418aeebc41n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5652&group=rec.games.trivia#5652

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 07:06:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:06 UTC

On Saturday, October 14, 2023 at 2:32:57 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Arrgh. This time I remembered to start a new thread, but forgot
> to give it a new subject line. Please respond to either posting
> with your entry, but preferably this one.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-25,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote both of these rounds.
>

> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Common Cause
>
> For the first 9 questions, name these famous people.
>
> 1. This American actress who lived 1926-2021 was a Miss Chicago
> winner. She played the same character first on the "Mary Tyler
> Moore" show, then on a spinoff; later she won an Oscar for
> "The Last Picture Show". She was over 80 when she competed on
> "Dancing with the Stars".

cloris leachman

> 2. This American actress who lived 1938-2020 was a Miss Nevada
> winner and is best remembered for her 3 years appearing on
> "Gilligan's Island", although she did win an International
> Independent Film Award for the 2017 TV-movie "Life Interrupted".

dawn wells

> 3. When George Lucas was filming the original movie "Star Wars",
> the actor playing Darth Vader was concerned that his costume
> would muffle his voice too much, but Lucas assured him the
> lines would be re-recorded in post-production. And they were
> -- by James Earl Jones. Name the British actor, who lived
> 1935-2020, who appears onscreen in costume but whose Devon
> accent is never heard.

david prowse

> 4. This American lived 1934-2020. His pitching career, starting
> with the Memphis Red Sox in the Negro American League, never
> took off, but his second career was lucrative enough to buy
> part-ownership of the Texas Rangers. In the 1970s he won his
> first Grammy, in the category "Best Sacred Performance (Musical),
> for "Did You Think to Pray?", and his first AMA award, in the
> category Favorite Country Album, for "A Sunshiny Day".

charlie pride

> 5. Another American pitcher lived 1944-2020, and spent 20 years
> in the major leagues. He is one of the few to have accumulated
> 300 wins, 3,000 strikeouts, and a career ERA. less than 3. In a
> 1970 game as a New York Met he struck out 10 consecutive batters,
> and in a 1978 game for Cincinnati he pitched a no-hitter.

tom seaver

> 6. This German-born American entertainer lived 1939-2021. He and
> his partner were famous for their dual act on stage with big
> cats until he was attacked by one of them and gravely injured.
> The two men named their act after their first names. Either name
> the act or give the last name of the man we're asking about.

roy horn

> 7. This British comedy writer-actor lived 1940-2020. He was perhaps
> best known as a member of "The Goodies", but also appeared on
> the TV shows "At Last the 1948 Show", "How to Irritate People",
> and "You Must Be the Husband", as well as the radio shows "I'm
> Sorry, I'll Read That Again" and "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue".

johnson ; africa

> 8. This American man lived 1937-2021. Between 1958 and 1989 he
> rose through the ranks of the army to become a full general.
> Ronald Reagan made him National Security Advisor, and George
> W. Bush made him Secretary of State.

colin powell

> 9. This American banker who became a politician lived 1945-2020.
> He supported the Tea Party movement and advocated a flat 9%
> rate on various taxes. He was a candidate for the Republican
> presidential nomination for 2012. In 2020 his last political
> act was to attend a Donald Trump rally in Tulsa.

herman cain

> 10. After you're done with the rest, decode the rot13 to see the
> last question. All these people we asked about had a cause
> of death in common -- in some cases a contributing cause,
> in others the primary cause. What was it?

covid [based solely on the narrow range of dates when they died]

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Future Events
>
> Round 1 tonight was about current events, and Round 2 was about
> past events. For Round 3, then, we have future events. Okay,
> we must acknowledge that what with possible strikes, wars, riots,
> financial or governmental failures, hurricanes, pandemics, or other
> natural or man-made interference, it's possible some of them won't
> happen exactly as we specify; but please answer based on the best
> information we now know.

will you allow protests and rescore if any given answer turns out to
be correct on the date/time specified? if so I have travel plans to make.

> 1. What will happen on Friday, July 26, 2024, at 20:24, which is
> to say 8:24 pm, in Paris?

lighting of the olympic torch at the summer games

> 2. What will happen on Sunday, April 13, 2025, in Osaka, Japan?

start of the world fair?

> 3. What will happen on Sunday, December 10, 2023, in Oslo probably
> at about 1 pm, and in Stockholm probably at about 4 pm?

awarding of the nobel prizes

> 4. What will happen throughout Canada on Monday, October 20, 2025?

federal election voting

> 5. What will happen on Monday, January 20, 2025, at noon in
> Washington DC?

donald trump will we sworn in as president of the united states

> 6. What will happen on Sunday, November 19, 2023, starting at 6 pm,
> in Hamilton?

the grey cup will start?

> 7. What will happen on Sunday, March 10, 2024, probably starting
> at 5 pm, in Los Angeles?

the oscars ceremony begins?

> 8. What will happen on Monday, April 8, 2024, entering Canada
> about 3:15 pm near Point Pelee and leaving about 5:15 pm local
> time near St. John's?

a solar eclipse

> 9. What will happen on Monday, November 27, starting at 7:30 pm,
> in Toronto?

maria carey will take the stage for her christmas show

> 10. What will happen on at various times on Thursday, March 28,
> 2024, in or near Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas,
> Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City,
> Oakland, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, and Tampa?

opening day games of the 2024 mlb season

> --
> Mark Brader "One might as well complain about the Sun
> Toronto rising in the daytime instead of at night,
> m...@vex.net when we need it more." -- John Lawler
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who isn't from the future he just works there

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future events

<uge8gs$pp6$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5653&group=rec.games.trivia#5653

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:27:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:27 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Common Cause

> 3. When George Lucas was filming the original movie "Star Wars",
> the actor playing Darth Vader was concerned that his costume
> would muffle his voice too much, but Lucas assured him the
> lines would be re-recorded in post-production. And they were
> -- by James Earl Jones. Name the British actor, who lived
> 1935-2020, who appears onscreen in costume but whose Devon
> accent is never heard.

David Prowse

> 6. This German-born American entertainer lived 1939-2021. He and
> his partner were famous for their dual act on stage with big
> cats until he was attacked by one of them and gravely injured.
> The two men named their act after their first names. Either name
> the act or give the last name of the man we're asking about.

Siegfried and Roy

> 7. This British comedy writer-actor lived 1940-2020. He was perhaps
> best known as a member of "The Goodies", but also appeared on
> the TV shows "At Last the 1948 Show", "How to Irritate People",
> and "You Must Be the Husband", as well as the radio shows "I'm
> Sorry, I'll Read That Again" and "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue".

Spike Jones

> 8. This American man lived 1937-2021. Between 1958 and 1989 he
> rose through the ranks of the army to become a full general.
> Ronald Reagan made him National Security Advisor, and George
> W. Bush made him Secretary of State.

Colin Powell

> 9. This American banker who became a politician lived 1945-2020.
> He supported the Tea Party movement and advocated a flat 9%
> rate on various taxes. He was a candidate for the Republican
> presidential nomination for 2012. In 2020 his last political
> act was to attend a Donald Trump rally in Tulsa.

Forbes

> 10. After you're done with the rest, decode the rot13 to see the
> last question. Nyy gurfr crbcyr jr nfxrq nobhg unq n pnhfr
> bs qrngu va pbzzba -- va fbzr pnfrf n pbagevohgvat pnhfr,
> va bguref gur cevznel pnhfr. Jung jnf vg?

COVID-19

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Future Events

> 1. What will happen on Friday, July 26, 2024, at 20:24, which is
> to say 8:24 pm, in Paris?

a total solar eclipse

> 2. What will happen on Sunday, April 13, 2025, in Osaka, Japan?

a national election

> 4. What will happen throughout Canada on Monday, October 20, 2025?

a national election

> 5. What will happen on Monday, January 20, 2025, at noon in
> Washington DC?

swearing-in of the elected president

> 7. What will happen on Sunday, March 10, 2024, probably starting
> at 5 pm, in Los Angeles?

total solar eclipse

> 10. What will happen on at various times on Thursday, March 28,
> 2024, in or near Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas,
> Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City,
> Oakland, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, and Tampa?

NFL draft

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future events

<585f04da-e26a-4eba-a0e1-14dd0e5a55c6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5654&group=rec.games.trivia#5654

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:49:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 20:49 UTC

On Saturday, October 14, 2023 at 1:32:57 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Common Cause
>
> For the first 9 questions, name these famous people.
>
> 1. This American actress who lived 1926-2021 was a Miss Chicago
> winner. She played the same character first on the "Mary Tyler
> Moore" show, then on a spinoff; later she won an Oscar for
> "The Last Picture Show". She was over 80 when she competed on
> "Dancing with the Stars".

Cloris Leachman

> 2. This American actress who lived 1938-2020 was a Miss Nevada
> winner and is best remembered for her 3 years appearing on
> "Gilligan's Island", although she did win an International
> Independent Film Award for the 2017 TV-movie "Life Interrupted".

Dawn Wells

> 3. When George Lucas was filming the original movie "Star Wars",
> the actor playing Darth Vader was concerned that his costume
> would muffle his voice too much, but Lucas assured him the
> lines would be re-recorded in post-production. And they were
> -- by James Earl Jones. Name the British actor, who lived
> 1935-2020, who appears onscreen in costume but whose Devon
> accent is never heard.

David Prowse

> 4. This American lived 1934-2020. His pitching career, starting
> with the Memphis Red Sox in the Negro American League, never
> took off, but his second career was lucrative enough to buy
> part-ownership of the Texas Rangers. In the 1970s he won his
> first Grammy, in the category "Best Sacred Performance (Musical),
> for "Did You Think to Pray?", and his first AMA award, in the
> category Favorite Country Album, for "A Sunshiny Day".

Charley Pride

> 5. Another American pitcher lived 1944-2020, and spent 20 years
> in the major leagues. He is one of the few to have accumulated
> 300 wins, 3,000 strikeouts, and a career ERA. less than 3. In a
> 1970 game as a New York Met he struck out 10 consecutive batters,
> and in a 1978 game for Cincinnati he pitched a no-hitter.

Tom Seaver (?)

> 6. This German-born American entertainer lived 1939-2021. He and
> his partner were famous for their dual act on stage with big
> cats until he was attacked by one of them and gravely injured.
> The two men named their act after their first names. Either name
> the act or give the last name of the man we're asking about.

Siegfried & Roy

> 8. This American man lived 1937-2021. Between 1958 and 1989 he
> rose through the ranks of the army to become a full general.
> Ronald Reagan made him National Security Advisor, and George
> W. Bush made him Secretary of State.

Colin Powell
> 9. This American banker who became a politician lived 1945-2020.
> He supported the Tea Party movement and advocated a flat 9%
> rate on various taxes. He was a candidate for the Republican
> presidential nomination for 2012. In 2020 his last political
> act was to attend a Donald Trump rally in Tulsa.

Herman Cain

> 10. After you're done with the rest, decode the rot13 to see the
> last question. Nyy gurfr crbcyr jr nfxrq nobhg unq n pnhfr
> bs qrngu va pbzzba -- va fbzr pnfrf n pbagevohgvat pnhfr,
> va bguref gur cevznel pnhfr. Jung jnf vg?

COVID-19

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Future Events
>
> Round 1 tonight was about current events, and Round 2 was about
> past events. For Round 3, then, we have future events.
>
> 3. What will happen on Sunday, December 10, 2023, in Oslo probably
> at about 1 pm, and in Stockholm probably at about 4 pm?

Nobel Prize ceremonies

> 4. What will happen throughout Canada on Monday, October 20, 2025?

a general election

> 5. What will happen on Monday, January 20, 2025, at noon in
> Washington DC?

Presidential inauguration

> 7. What will happen on Sunday, March 10, 2024, probably starting
> at 5 pm, in Los Angeles?

Academy Awards ceremony
> 8. What will happen on Monday, April 8, 2024, entering Canada
> about 3:15 pm near Point Pelee and leaving about 5:15 pm local
> time near St. John's?

solar eclipse

> 10. What will happen on at various times on Thursday, March 28,
> 2024, in or near Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas,
> Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City,
> Oakland, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, and Tampa?

opening day of the Major League Baseball season

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future events

<ugfr43$b69g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5655&group=rec.games.trivia#5655

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 21:51:12 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 04:51 UTC

On 10/13/23 23:32, Mark Brader wrote:

> [...]

> Sorry, I'll Read That Again" and "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue".
>
> 8. This American man lived 1937-2021. Between 1958 and 1989 he
> rose through the ranks of the army to become a full general.
> Ronald Reagan made him National Security Advisor, and George
> W. Bush made him Secretary of State.

Colin Powell

> 9. This American banker who became a politician lived 1945-2020.
> He supported the Tea Party movement and advocated a flat 9%
> rate on various taxes. He was a candidate for the Republican
> presidential nomination for 2012. In 2020 his last political
> act was to attend a Donald Trump rally in Tulsa.

Herman Cain

> 10. After you're done with the rest, decode the rot13 to see the
> last question. Nyy gurfr crbcyr jr nfxrq nobhg unq n pnhfr
> bs qrngu va pbzzba -- va fbzr pnfrf n pbagevohgvat pnhfr,
> va bguref gur cevznel pnhfr. Jung jnf vg?

(which I figured out about question 5 just from the years of death)

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Future Events
>
> Round 1 tonight was about current events, and Round 2 was about
> past events. For Round 3, then, we have future events. Okay,
> we must acknowledge that what with possible strikes, wars, riots,
> financial or governmental failures, hurricanes, pandemics, or other
> natural or man-made interference, it's possible some of them won't
> happen exactly as we specify; but please answer based on the best
> information we now know.
>
> 1. What will happen on Friday, July 26, 2024, at 20:24, which is
> to say 8:24 pm, in Paris?

Tour de France winner awarded

> 2. What will happen on Sunday, April 13, 2025, in Osaka, Japan?
>
> 3. What will happen on Sunday, December 10, 2023, in Oslo probably
> at about 1 pm, and in Stockholm probably at about 4 pm?

Nobel Prize ceremonies

> 4. What will happen throughout Canada on Monday, October 20, 2025?

election ??

> 5. What will happen on Monday, January 20, 2025, at noon in
> Washington DC?

Inauguration of the President of the US

> 6. What will happen on Sunday, November 19, 2023, starting at 6 pm,
> in Hamilton?

Grey Cup

> 7. What will happen on Sunday, March 10, 2024, probably starting
> at 5 pm, in Los Angeles?

Academy Awards

> 8. What will happen on Monday, April 8, 2024, entering Canada
> about 3:15 pm near Point Pelee and leaving about 5:15 pm local
> time near St. John's?

total eclipse of the Sun

> 9. What will happen on Monday, November 27, starting at 7:30 pm,
> in Toronto?

first home game for the Toronto Raptors

(Note: You forgot to specify a year, so I assumed it was this year. And
my answer is a total guess.)

> 10. What will happen on at various times on Thursday, March 28,
> 2024, in or near Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas,
> Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City,
> Oakland, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, and Tampa?

opening day for Major League Baseball

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future events

<fbGcnSWVB8uoKrH4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5656&group=rec.games.trivia#5656

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 04:08:21 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 04:08 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > 9. What will happen on Monday, November 27, starting at 7:30 pm,
> > in Toronto?
Dan Tilque:
> (Note: You forgot to specify a year, so I assumed it was this year...)

No, I just didn't redundantly specify that it was.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Any company large enough to have a research lab
msb@vex.net | is large enough not to listen to it. --Alan Kay

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: common cause, future events

<ugksma$2n3hq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5657&group=rec.games.trivia#5657

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 21:48:41 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 02:48 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> Arrgh. This time I remembered to start a new thread, but forgot
> to give it a new subject line. Please respond to either posting
> with your entry, but preferably this one.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-25,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote both of these rounds.
>

> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Common Cause
>
> For the first 9 questions, name these famous people.
>
> 1. This American actress who lived 1926-2021 was a Miss Chicago
> winner. She played the same character first on the "Mary Tyler
> Moore" show, then on a spinoff; later she won an Oscar for
> "The Last Picture Show". She was over 80 when she competed on
> "Dancing with the Stars".

Cloris Leachman

> 2. This American actress who lived 1938-2020 was a Miss Nevada
> winner and is best remembered for her 3 years appearing on
> "Gilligan's Island", although she did win an International
> Independent Film Award for the 2017 TV-movie "Life Interrupted".

Tina Louise

> 3. When George Lucas was filming the original movie "Star Wars",
> the actor playing Darth Vader was concerned that his costume
> would muffle his voice too much, but Lucas assured him the
> lines would be re-recorded in post-production. And they were
> -- by James Earl Jones. Name the British actor, who lived
> 1935-2020, who appears onscreen in costume but whose Devon
> accent is never heard.
>
> 4. This American lived 1934-2020. His pitching career, starting
> with the Memphis Red Sox in the Negro American League, never
> took off, but his second career was lucrative enough to buy
> part-ownership of the Texas Rangers. In the 1970s he won his
> first Grammy, in the category "Best Sacred Performance (Musical),
> for "Did You Think to Pray?", and his first AMA award, in the
> category Favorite Country Album, for "A Sunshiny Day".

Charlie Pride

> 5. Another American pitcher lived 1944-2020, and spent 20 years
> in the major leagues. He is one of the few to have accumulated
> 300 wins, 3,000 strikeouts, and a career ERA. less than 3. In a
> 1970 game as a New York Met he struck out 10 consecutive batters,
> and in a 1978 game for Cincinnati he pitched a no-hitter.

Tom Seaver

> 6. This German-born American entertainer lived 1939-2021. He and
> his partner were famous for their dual act on stage with big
> cats until he was attacked by one of them and gravely injured.
> The two men named their act after their first names. Either name
> the act or give the last name of the man we're asking about.

Siegfried and Roy

> 7. This British comedy writer-actor lived 1940-2020. He was perhaps
> best known as a member of "The Goodies", but also appeared on
> the TV shows "At Last the 1948 Show", "How to Irritate People",
> and "You Must Be the Husband", as well as the radio shows "I'm
> Sorry, I'll Read That Again" and "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue".
>
> 8. This American man lived 1937-2021. Between 1958 and 1989 he
> rose through the ranks of the army to become a full general.
> Ronald Reagan made him National Security Advisor, and George
> W. Bush made him Secretary of State.

Powell

> 9. This American banker who became a politician lived 1945-2020.
> He supported the Tea Party movement and advocated a flat 9%
> rate on various taxes. He was a candidate for the Republican
> presidential nomination for 2012. In 2020 his last political
> act was to attend a Donald Trump rally in Tulsa.
>
> 10. After you're done with the rest, decode the rot13 to see the
> last question. Nyy gurfr crbcyr jr nfxrq nobhg unq n pnhfr
> bs qrngu va pbzzba -- va fbzr pnfrf n pbagevohgvat pnhfr,
> va bguref gur cevznel pnhfr. Jung jnf vg?

Cancer

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Future Events
>
> Round 1 tonight was about current events, and Round 2 was about
> past events. For Round 3, then, we have future events. Okay,
> we must acknowledge that what with possible strikes, wars, riots,
> financial or governmental failures, hurricanes, pandemics, or other
> natural or man-made interference, it's possible some of them won't
> happen exactly as we specify; but please answer based on the best
> information we now know.
>
> 1. What will happen on Friday, July 26, 2024, at 20:24, which is
> to say 8:24 pm, in Paris?

Summer Olympics opening ceremony

> 2. What will happen on Sunday, April 13, 2025, in Osaka, Japan?
>
> 3. What will happen on Sunday, December 10, 2023, in Oslo probably
> at about 1 pm, and in Stockholm probably at about 4 pm?

Nobel Prize ceremony

> 4. What will happen throughout Canada on Monday, October 20, 2025?

National election

> 5. What will happen on Monday, January 20, 2025, at noon in
> Washington DC?

Presidential inauguration

> 6. What will happen on Sunday, November 19, 2023, starting at 6 pm,
> in Hamilton?

Grey Cup game

> 7. What will happen on Sunday, March 10, 2024, probably starting
> at 5 pm, in Los Angeles?

Women's NCAA Basketball final game

> 8. What will happen on Monday, April 8, 2024, entering Canada
> about 3:15 pm near Point Pelee and leaving about 5:15 pm local
> time near St. John's?
>
> 9. What will happen on Monday, November 27, starting at 7:30 pm,
> in Toronto?
>
> 10. What will happen on at various times on Thursday, March 28,
> 2024, in or near Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas,
> Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City,
> Oakland, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, and Tampa?

First games 2024 of Major League Baseball season

Pete Gayde

QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: common cause, future events

<CTednbsbKuRAtLP4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5658&group=rec.games.trivia#5658

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: common cause, future events
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:29:49 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:29 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-25,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote both of these rounds.

> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Common Cause

> For the first 9 questions, name these famous people.

> 1. This American actress who lived 1926-2021 was a Miss Chicago
> winner. She played the same character first on the "Mary Tyler
> Moore" show, then on a spinoff; later she won an Oscar for
> "The Last Picture Show". She was over 80 when she competed on
> "Dancing with the Stars".

Cloris Leachman. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. This American actress who lived 1938-2020 was a Miss Nevada
> winner and is best remembered for her 3 years appearing on
> "Gilligan's Island", although she did win an International
> Independent Film Award for the 2017 TV-movie "Life Interrupted".

Dawn Wells. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 3. When George Lucas was filming the original movie "Star Wars",
> the actor playing Darth Vader was concerned that his costume
> would muffle his voice too much, but Lucas assured him the
> lines would be re-recorded in post-production. And they were
> -- by James Earl Jones. Name the British actor, who lived
> 1935-2020, who appears onscreen in costume but whose Devon
> accent is never heard.

David Prowse. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 4. This American lived 1934-2020. His pitching career, starting
> with the Memphis Red Sox in the Negro American League, never
> took off, but his second career was lucrative enough to buy
> part-ownership of the Texas Rangers. In the 1970s he won his
> first Grammy, in the category "Best Sacred Performance (Musical),
> for "Did You Think to Pray?", and his first AMA award, in the
> category Favorite Country Album, for "A Sunshiny Day".

Charley Pride. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. Another American pitcher lived 1944-2020, and spent 20 years
> in the major leagues. He is one of the few to have accumulated
> 300 wins, 3,000 strikeouts, and a career ERA. less than 3. In a
> 1970 game as a New York Met he struck out 10 consecutive batters,
> and in a 1978 game for Cincinnati he pitched a no-hitter.

Tom Seaver. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> 6. This German-born American entertainer lived 1939-2021. He and
> his partner were famous for their dual act on stage with big
> cats until he was attacked by one of them and gravely injured.
> The two men named their act after their first names. Either name
> the act or give the last name of the man we're asking about.

Siegfried and Roy, Roy Horn. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 7. This British comedy writer-actor lived 1940-2020. He was perhaps
> best known as a member of "The Goodies", but also appeared on
> the TV shows "At Last the 1948 Show", "How to Irritate People",
> and "You Must Be the Husband", as well as the radio shows "I'm
> Sorry, I'll Read That Again" and "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue".

Tim Brooke-Taylor.

> 8. This American man lived 1937-2021. Between 1958 and 1989 he
> rose through the ranks of the army to become a full general.
> Ronald Reagan made him National Security Advisor, and George
> W. Bush made him Secretary of State.

Colin Powell. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. This American banker who became a politician lived 1945-2020.
> He supported the Tea Party movement and advocated a flat 9%
> rate on various taxes. He was a candidate for the Republican
> presidential nomination for 2012. In 2020 his last political
> act was to attend a Donald Trump rally in Tulsa.

Herman Cain. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. After you're done with the rest, decode the rot13 to see the
> last question. All these people we asked about had a cause
> of death in common -- in some cases a contributing cause,
> in others the primary cause. What was it?

Yes, COVID-19. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Future Events

> Round 1 tonight was about current events, and Round 2 was about
> past events. For Round 3, then, we have future events. Okay,
> we must acknowledge that what with possible strikes, wars, riots,
> financial or governmental failures, hurricanes, pandemics, or other
> natural or man-made interference, it's possible some of them won't
> happen exactly as we specify; but please answer based on the best
> information we now know.

I accepted some inexact references for full points.

> 1. What will happen on Friday, July 26, 2024, at 20:24, which is
> to say 8:24 pm, in Paris?

The Olympic Games (Games of the 33rd Olympiad) will be opened.
4 for Erland, Stephen, and Pete.

> 2. What will happen on Sunday, April 13, 2025, in Osaka, Japan?

The Expo 2025 world's fair will open. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. What will happen on Sunday, December 10, 2023, in Oslo probably
> at about 1 pm, and in Stockholm probably at about 4 pm?

The Nobel Prizes will be presented. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

(Peace prize in Oslo, the rest in Stockholm. December 10 is the
anniversary of Nobel's death. The times shown are from 2022.)

> 4. What will happen throughout Canada on Monday, October 20, 2025?

A federal election. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. What will happen on Monday, January 20, 2025, at noon in
> Washington DC?

The presidential inauguration. 4 for everyone.

> 6. What will happen on Sunday, November 19, 2023, starting at 6 pm,
> in Hamilton?

The Grey Cup game. 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 7. What will happen on Sunday, March 10, 2024, probably starting
> at 5 pm, in Los Angeles?

The Oscars (96th Academy Awards). 4 for Stephen, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. What will happen on Monday, April 8, 2024, entering Canada
> about 3:15 pm near Point Pelee and leaving about 5:15 pm local
> time near St. John's?

A (total) solar eclipse. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. What will happen on Monday, November 27, starting at 7:30 pm,
> in Toronto?

The Canadian Inquisition's Final.

> 10. What will happen on at various times on Thursday, March 28,
> 2024, in or near Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas,
> Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City,
> Oakland, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, and Tampa?

The major-league baseball season will begin. 4 for Stephen, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Mis
Stephen Perry 36 36 72
Joshua Kreitzer 36 24 60
Pete Gayde 20 24 44
Dan Tilque 16 28 44
Dan Blum 16 8 24
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 20

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "A cow-orker of mine used to ood dogs."
msb@vex.net -- Steve Hayes

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: common cause, future events

<7f621adc-98b4-4f4f-b8d1-64da7683b6a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5667&group=rec.games.trivia#5667

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:19:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 00:19 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 2:30:01 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > 9. What will happen on Monday, November 27, starting at 7:30 pm,
> > in Toronto?
> The Canadian Inquisition's Final.

I protest. my answer was/is/will be correct as well.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: common cause, future events

<dRydnZ1_GP9VyLL4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5671&group=rec.games.trivia#5671

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 03:49:28 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 03:49 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > > 9. What will happen on Monday, November 27, starting at 7:30 pm,
> > > in Toronto?
> > The Canadian Inquisition's Final.

Stephen Perry:
> I protest. my answer was/is/will be correct as well.

Mariah Carey will indeed have a performance here at that date and time.
Okay, 4 for Stephen also.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Mis
Stephen Perry 36 40 76
Joshua Kreitzer 36 24 60
Pete Gayde 20 24 44
Dan Tilque 16 28 44
Dan Blum 16 8 24
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 20

--
Mark Brader | "...it doesn't even fulfill the most basic
Toronto | requirements for a good text editor, such as