There's no such thing as a free lunch. -- Milton Friendman

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word cities

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word citiesMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word citiesJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word citiesDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word citiesErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word citiesDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word citiesswp
`- QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6 answers: philosophers, 3-word citiesMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word cities

<r8ucnSP9g-ZLt7P4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5660&group=rec.games.trivia#5660

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word cities
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:33:58 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:33 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 2, Round 4 - Literature - Philosophers

In each case, identify the philosopher being quoted. For some of
these we are not giving the words in their original language.

1. "The life of man in a state of nature is solitary, poor, nasty,
brutish, and short."

2. This line is found in one philosopher's writing quoting another
philosopher who he says said it. We want the philosopher who
was being quoted. The line is: "An unexamined life is not
worth living."

3. "Cogito, ergo sum." ("I think, therefore I am.")
4. "God is dead. He remains dead. We killed Him."
5. "Happiness is not an ideal of reason but of imagination."
6. "Life must be understood backwards but it must be lived
forwards."
7. "If God did not exist it would be necessary to invent Him."
8. "I would never die for my beliefs, because I may be wrong."
9. "He who thinks great thoughts is often in great error."
10. "Religion is the sign of the oppressed... it is the opium of
the people."

* Game 2, Round 6 - Geography - 3-Word Cities

All questions in this round refer to cities whose name in its usual
form is three words long, such as San Luis Obispo, California,
and East St. Louis, Illinois. Many of them are capitals or former
capitals, but some aren't.

1. In what country would you find Port-au-Prince?
2. In what 3-word country would you find Port of Spain?
3. What is the capital of Andorra?
4. Bandar Seri Begawan is on the island of Borneo, in what country?

5. This city is 50 miles west of Winnipeg and 15 miles south of
Lake Manitoba, and its name alludes to canoe travel. What name?

6. At both ends of an international bridge between the US and
Canada, you will find a pair of cities with the same 3-word name.
Obviously we're not talking about the Niagara River border.
What is the name of those two cities?

7. What African country's capital used to be Dar es Salaam?
8. What city was the capital of Brazil before Brasilia?

9. This 3-word city lies on a 3-word body of water, and has been
the host city for the Winter Olympics. Name it.

10. Which smallish city in Arizona is known for an imported
19th-century landmark structure?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Unfortunately, real life is usually
msb@vex.net | not a movie." --Al Kriman

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word cities

<39e020d6-c656-4086-84fe-b38a5555041bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5662&group=rec.games.trivia#5662

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 23:40:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:40 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 1:34:09 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Literature - Philosophers
>
> In each case, identify the philosopher being quoted. For some of
> these we are not giving the words in their original language.
>
> 1. "The life of man in a state of nature is solitary, poor, nasty,
> brutish, and short."

Hobbes

> 2. This line is found in one philosopher's writing quoting another
> philosopher who he says said it. We want the philosopher who
> was being quoted. The line is: "An unexamined life is not
> worth living."

Socrates

> 3. "Cogito, ergo sum." ("I think, therefore I am.")

Descartes
> 4. "God is dead. He remains dead. We killed Him."

Nietzsche

> 10. "Religion is the sign of the oppressed... it is the opium of
> the people."

Marx
> * Game 2, Round 6 - Geography - 3-Word Cities
>
> All questions in this round refer to cities whose name in its usual
> form is three words long, such as San Luis Obispo, California,
> and East St. Louis, Illinois.
>
> 1. In what country would you find Port-au-Prince?

Haiti
> 2. In what 3-word country would you find Port of Spain?

Trinidad and Tobago

> 3. What is the capital of Andorra?

Andorra-la-Vella

> 4. Bandar Seri Begawan is on the island of Borneo, in what country?

Brunei

> 6. At both ends of an international bridge between the US and
> Canada, you will find a pair of cities with the same 3-word name.
> Obviously we're not talking about the Niagara River border.
> What is the name of those two cities?

Sault Ste. Marie
> 7. What African country's capital used to be Dar es Salaam?

Tanzania

> 8. What city was the capital of Brazil before Brasilia?

Rio de Janeiro

> 9. This 3-word city lies on a 3-word body of water, and has been
> the host city for the Winter Olympics. Name it.

Salt Lake City

> 10. Which smallish city in Arizona is known for an imported
> 19th-century landmark structure?

Lake Havasu City

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word cities

<ugllai$2sv56$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5663&group=rec.games.trivia#5663

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 02:49:03 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:49 UTC

On 10/16/23 23:33, Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Literature - Philosophers
>
> In each case, identify the philosopher being quoted. For some of
> these we are not giving the words in their original language.
>
> 1. "The life of man in a state of nature is solitary, poor, nasty,
> brutish, and short."

Aristotle

> 2. This line is found in one philosopher's writing quoting another
> philosopher who he says said it. We want the philosopher who
> was being quoted. The line is: "An unexamined life is not
> worth living."
>
> 3. "Cogito, ergo sum." ("I think, therefore I am.")

Descartes

> 4. "God is dead. He remains dead. We killed Him."

Nietzsche

> 5. "Happiness is not an ideal of reason but of imagination."
> 6. "Life must be understood backwards but it must be lived
> forwards."
> 7. "If God did not exist it would be necessary to invent Him."
> 8. "I would never die for my beliefs, because I may be wrong."
> 9. "He who thinks great thoughts is often in great error."
> 10. "Religion is the sign of the oppressed... it is the opium of
> the people."

Karl Marx

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Geography - 3-Word Cities
>
> All questions in this round refer to cities whose name in its usual
> form is three words long, such as San Luis Obispo, California,
> and East St. Louis, Illinois. Many of them are capitals or former
> capitals, but some aren't.
>
> 1. In what country would you find Port-au-Prince?

Haiti

> 2. In what 3-word country would you find Port of Spain?

Trinidad and Tobago

> 3. What is the capital of Andorra?

Andorra la Vella

> 4. Bandar Seri Begawan is on the island of Borneo, in what country?

Brunei

> 5. This city is 50 miles west of Winnipeg and 15 miles south of
> Lake Manitoba, and its name alludes to canoe travel. What name?

Portage la Prairie

> 6. At both ends of an international bridge between the US and
> Canada, you will find a pair of cities with the same 3-word name.
> Obviously we're not talking about the Niagara River border.
> What is the name of those two cities?

Sault Ste Marie

> 7. What African country's capital used to be Dar es Salaam?

Tanzania

> 8. What city was the capital of Brazil before Brasilia?

Rio de Janiero

> 9. This 3-word city lies on a 3-word body of water, and has been
> the host city for the Winter Olympics. Name it.

Salt Lake City

> 10. Which smallish city in Arizona is known for an imported
> 19th-century landmark structure?

Lake Havasu City

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word cities

<XnsB0A0CC39DE73AYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5666&group=rec.games.trivia#5666

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:04:34 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:04 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 2, Round 4 - Literature - Philosophers
>
> 3. "Cogito, ergo sum." ("I think, therefore I am.")

René Descartes

> 10. "Religion is the sign of the oppressed... it is the opium of
> the people."

Karl Marx

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Geography - 3-Word Cities
>
> 1. In what country would you find Port-au-Prince?

Haïti

> 2. In what 3-word country would you find Port of Spain?

Trinidad & Tobago

> 3. What is the capital of Andorra?

Andorra la Vella

> 4. Bandar Seri Begawan is on the island of Borneo, in what country?

Brunei

> 7. What African country's capital used to be Dar es Salaam?

Tanzania

> 8. What city was the capital of Brazil before Brasilia?

Rio de Janeiro

> 9. This 3-word city lies on a 3-word body of water, and has been
> the host city for the Winter Olympics. Name it.

Salt Lake City

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word cities

<ugnacj$19$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5670&group=rec.games.trivia#5670

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 00:54:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 00:54 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Literature - Philosophers

> 1. "The life of man in a state of nature is solitary, poor, nasty,
> brutish, and short."

Hobbes

> 2. This line is found in one philosopher's writing quoting another
> philosopher who he says said it. We want the philosopher who
> was being quoted. The line is: "An unexamined life is not
> worth living."

Socrates

> 3. "Cogito, ergo sum." ("I think, therefore I am.")

Descates

> 4. "God is dead. He remains dead. We killed Him."

Nietzche

> 7. "If God did not exist it would be necessary to invent Him."

Pascal

> 10. "Religion is the sign of the oppressed... it is the opium of
> the people."

Marx

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Geography - 3-Word Cities

> 1. In what country would you find Port-au-Prince?

Haiti

> 2. In what 3-word country would you find Port of Spain?

Trinidad and Tobago

> 3. What is the capital of Andorra?

Andorra la Vella

> 4. Bandar Seri Begawan is on the island of Borneo, in what country?

Brunei

> 7. What African country's capital used to be Dar es Salaam?

Tanzania

> 8. What city was the capital of Brazil before Brasilia?

Rio de Janeiro

> 9. This 3-word city lies on a 3-word body of water, and has been
> the host city for the Winter Olympics. Name it.

Salt Lake City

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: philosophers, 3-word cities

<9dda16e8-4e29-4e37-87ba-83f8a52945fdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5672&group=rec.games.trivia#5672

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 15:41:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 22:41 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 2:34:09 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-25,

> Please post all your answers in a single follow-up to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Literature - Philosophers
>
> In each case, identify the philosopher being quoted. For some of
> these we are not giving the words in their original language.
>
> 1. "The life of man in a state of nature is solitary, poor, nasty,
> brutish, and short."

thomas hobbes

> 2. This line is found in one philosopher's writing quoting another
> philosopher who he says said it. We want the philosopher who
> was being quoted. The line is: "An unexamined life is not
> worth living."

socrates

> 3. "Cogito, ergo sum." ("I think, therefore I am.")

descartes

> 4. "God is dead. He remains dead. We killed Him."

nietzsche

> 5. "Happiness is not an ideal of reason but of imagination."

kant

> 6. "Life must be understood backwards but it must be lived
> forwards."

kierkegaard

> 7. "If God did not exist it would be necessary to invent Him."

voltaire

> 8. "I would never die for my beliefs, because I may be wrong."

russell

> 9. "He who thinks great thoughts is often in great error."

heidegger? [saw it on bbc]

> 10. "Religion is the sign of the oppressed... it is the opium of
> the people."

marx

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Geography - 3-Word Cities
>
> All questions in this round refer to cities whose name in its usual
> form is three words long, such as San Luis Obispo, California,
> and East St. Louis, Illinois. Many of them are capitals or former
> capitals, but some aren't.
>
> 1. In what country would you find Port-au-Prince?

haiti

> 2. In what 3-word country would you find Port of Spain?

trinidad and tobago

> 3. What is the capital of Andorra?

andorra la vella

> 4. Bandar Seri Begawan is on the island of Borneo, in what country?

brunei

> 5. This city is 50 miles west of Winnipeg and 15 miles south of
> Lake Manitoba, and its name alludes to canoe travel. What name?

portage la ... something

> 6. At both ends of an international bridge between the US and
> Canada, you will find a pair of cities with the same 3-word name.
> Obviously we're not talking about the Niagara River border.
> What is the name of those two cities?

sault ste marie

> 7. What African country's capital used to be Dar es Salaam?

tanzania

> 8. What city was the capital of Brazil before Brasilia?

rio de janeiro

> 9. This 3-word city lies on a 3-word body of water, and has been
> the host city for the Winter Olympics. Name it.

salt lake city?

> 10. Which smallish city in Arizona is known for an imported
> 19th-century landmark structure?

lake havasu city [london bridge]

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "Unfortunately, real life is usually
> m...@vex.net | not a movie." --Al Kriman
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6 answers: philosophers, 3-word cities

<ct2cnUSrfrp_ja_4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5674&group=rec.games.trivia#5674

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 4,6 answers: philosophers, 3-word cities
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 05:32:18 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 05:32 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-25,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The geography round.

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Literature - Philosophers

> In each case, identify the philosopher being quoted. For some of
> these we are not giving the words in their original language.

In the original game, the audio round was the hardest, and this one
was the next-hardest.

> 1. "The life of man in a state of nature is solitary, poor, nasty,
> brutish, and short."

Thomas Hobbes. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 2. This line is found in one philosopher's writing quoting another
> philosopher who he says said it. We want the philosopher who
> was being quoted. The line is: "An unexamined life is not
> worth living."

Socrates. (Quoted by Plato.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 3. "Cogito, ergo sum." ("I think, therefore I am.")

René Descartes. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland,
Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 4. "God is dead. He remains dead. We killed Him."

Friedrich Nietszche. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 5. "Happiness is not an ideal of reason but of imagination."

Immanuel Kant. 4 for Stephen.

> 6. "Life must be understood backwards but it must be lived
> forwards."

Søren Kierkegaard. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. "If God did not exist it would be necessary to invent Him."

Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet). 4 for Stephen.

> 8. "I would never die for my beliefs, because I may be wrong."

Bertrand Russell. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. "He who thinks great thoughts is often in great error."

Martin Heidegger. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. "Religion is the sign of the oppressed... it is the opium of
> the people."

Karl Marx. 4 for everyone.

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Geography - 3-Word Cities

> All questions in this round refer to cities whose name in its usual
> form is three words long, such as San Luis Obispo, California,
> and East St. Louis, Illinois. Many of them are capitals or former
> capitals, but some aren't.

> 1. In what country would you find Port-au-Prince?

Haiti. 4 for everyone.

> 2. In what 3-word country would you find Port of Spain?

Trinidad and Tobago. 4 for everyone.

> 3. What is the capital of Andorra?

Andorra la Vella. ("Vella" means "old".) 4 for everyone.

> 4. Bandar Seri Begawan is on the island of Borneo, in what country?

Brunei. 4 for everyone.

> 5. This city is 50 miles west of Winnipeg and 15 miles south of
> Lake Manitoba, and its name alludes to canoe travel. What name?

Portage la Prairie. 4 for Dan Tilque.

It's where you had to carry (portage) your canoe across the prairies
if you wanted to get from the Assiniboine River to Lake Manitoba.

> 6. At both ends of an international bridge between the US and
> Canada, you will find a pair of cities with the same 3-word name.
> Obviously we're not talking about the Niagara River border.
> What is the name of those two cities?

Sault Ste. Marie. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 7. What African country's capital used to be Dar es Salaam?

Tanzania. 4 for everyone.

The new capital, officially since 1996, is Dodoma.

Since we're talking about something that used to be true, I would also
have accepted the country's previous name of Tanganyika & Zanzibar,
or also just Tanganyika, which was a country before that union.

> 8. What city was the capital of Brazil before Brasilia?

Rio de Janeiro. (Capital until 1960.) 4 for everyone.

> 9. This 3-word city lies on a 3-word body of water, and has been
> the host city for the Winter Olympics. Name it.

Salt Lake City. (Great Salt Lake.) 4 for everyone.

> 10. Which smallish city in Arizona is known for an imported
> 19th-century landmark structure?

Lake Havasu City. (London Bridge.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Mis Lit Geo
Stephen Perry 36 40 40 36 152
Joshua Kreitzer 36 24 20 36 116
Dan Tilque 16 28 12 40 96
Dan Blum 16 8 20 28 72
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 8 28 56
Pete Gayde 20 24 -- -- 44

--
Mark Brader | "He's suffering from Politician's Logic."
Toronto | "Something must be done, this is something, therefore