Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: angles and numbers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 05:39:39 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 05:39 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote both of these rounds.

* Game 2, Round 7 - Science - Angles in Geometry

Please see either copy of the diagram at:
http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g2r7/geo.pdf
(The pages were cut in half to make handouts for the original game.)

and note that points are labeled by capital letters, angles by
small letters.

1. The little square symbol at point B indicates that lines AB
and BC form a right angle. Therefore, in a single word, these
two lines are what?

2. Lines BC and DE are what?
3. A right angle equals how many radians?

4. For the next few questions we will ask "which one" of the
lettered angles meets some requirement. Despite this wording,
in some cases more than one answer is correct. And answers may
repeat, so don't cross them off your diagram. Now, which one
of the lettered angles is an external angle of the triangle ABC?

5. Angle v and which one of the lettered angles are complementary?
6. Angle v and which one of the lettered angles are supplementary?

7. Which one of the lettered angles is acute?

8. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with the
previous question. Natyrf j naq m ner abg nphgr; gurl ner
jung glcr?

9. If angles v, w, and x are added to form a single angle, this
is what type?

10. Triangles ABC and ADE are not the same size, but their
corresponding angles are equal, making them the same shape.
In geometrical terms they are what?

* Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Numbers

Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g2r8/numb.jpg

We name a player; you identify them by number. Note: some of them
have sometimes worn other numbers.

1. Tom Brady.
2. Kobe Bryant.
3. Mickey Mantle.
4. Maurice Richard.
5. Johan Cruyff.
6. Ricky Ray.
7. Johnny Bower.
8. Pele.
9. Wilt Chamberlain.
10. Babe Ruth.

So there were 6 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points,
decode the rot13 to see the player names, and give their numbers.

11. Yhv Cnffntyvn.
12. Wbr Zbagnan.
13. Obool Bee.
14. Fgna Zhfvny.
15. Arlzne.
16. Xnjuv Yrbaneq.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I like the other Bobs. Now, if I can only
msb@vex.net | recall which Mark I hate." --Al Fargnoli

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: angles and numbers

<uguhm7$18h37$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5676&group=rec.games.trivia#5676

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: angles and numbers
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:42:12 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 18:42 UTC

On 10/19/23 22:39, Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote both of these rounds.
>

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Science - Angles in Geometry
>
> Please see either copy of the diagram at:
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g2r7/geo.pdf
> (The pages were cut in half to make handouts for the original game.)
>
> and note that points are labeled by capital letters, angles by
> small letters.
>
> 1. The little square symbol at point B indicates that lines AB
> and BC form a right angle. Therefore, in a single word, these
> two lines are what?

perpendicular

> 2. Lines BC and DE are what?

parallel

> 3. A right angle equals how many radians?

pi/2

> 4. For the next few questions we will ask "which one" of the
> lettered angles meets some requirement. Despite this wording,
> in some cases more than one answer is correct. And answers may
> repeat, so don't cross them off your diagram. Now, which one
> of the lettered angles is an external angle of the triangle ABC?

> 5. Angle v and which one of the lettered angles are complementary?

> 6. Angle v and which one of the lettered angles are supplementary?

> 7. Which one of the lettered angles is acute?

> 8. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with the
> previous question. Natyrf j naq m ner abg nphgr; gurl ner
> jung glcr?

obtuse

> 9. If angles v, w, and x are added to form a single angle, this
> is what type?

outside

> 10. Triangles ABC and ADE are not the same size, but their
> corresponding angles are equal, making them the same shape.
> In geometrical terms they are what?

similar

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Numbers
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g2r8/numb.jpg
>
> We name a player; you identify them by number. Note: some of them
> have sometimes worn other numbers.
>
> 1. Tom Brady.

12

2

7

> 4. Maurice Richard.
> 5. Johan Cruyff.
> 6. Ricky Ray.
> 7. Johnny Bower.
> 8. Pele.

14

> 9. Wilt Chamberlain.

13

3

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: angles and numbers

<XnsB0A3DB6086CE9Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5677&group=rec.games.trivia#5677

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 21:33:56 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 19:33 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 2, Round 7 - Science - Angles in Geometry
>
> 1. The little square symbol at point B indicates that lines AB
> and BC form a right angle. Therefore, in a single word, these
> two lines are what?

Catheders
> 2. Lines BC and DE are what?

Hypotenuses

> 3. A right angle equals how many radians?

pi/2
> 4. For the next few questions we will ask "which one" of the
> lettered angles meets some requirement. Despite this wording,
> in some cases more than one answer is correct. And answers may
> repeat, so don't cross them off your diagram. Now, which one
> of the lettered angles is an external angle of the triangle ABC?

> 5. Angle v and which one of the lettered angles are complementary?

> 6. Angle v and which one of the lettered angles are supplementary?

> 7. Which one of the lettered angles is acute?

> 8. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with the
> previous question. Natyrf j naq m ner abg nphgr; gurl ner
> jung glcr?

Grave

> 9. If angles v, w, and x are added to form a single angle, this
> is what type?

Circumflex (you did say accents, didm't you? :-)
> 10. Triangles ABC and ADE are not the same size, but their
> corresponding angles are equal, making them the same shape.
> In geometrical terms they are what?

Equal-shaped

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Numbers
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g2r8/numb.jpg
>
> We name a player; you identify them by number. Note: some of them
> have sometimes worn other numbers.
>
> 1. Tom Brady.

12

8

1

4

> 5. Johan Cruyff.

14

3

2

> 8. Pele.

10

5

7

4

> 15. Arlzne.

11

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: angles and numbers

<uguus0$9hb$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5678&group=rec.games.trivia#5678

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 22:27:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 22:27 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Science - Angles in Geometry

> 1. The little square symbol at point B indicates that lines AB
> and BC form a right angle. Therefore, in a single word, these
> two lines are what?

perpendicular

> 2. Lines BC and DE are what?

parallel

> 3. A right angle equals how many radians?

pi/2

> 4. For the next few questions we will ask "which one" of the
> lettered angles meets some requirement. Despite this wording,
> in some cases more than one answer is correct. And answers may
> repeat, so don't cross them off your diagram. Now, which one
> of the lettered angles is an external angle of the triangle ABC?

> 5. Angle v and which one of the lettered angles are complementary?

> 6. Angle v and which one of the lettered angles are supplementary?

> 7. Which one of the lettered angles is acute?

> 8. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with the
> previous question. Natyrf j naq m ner abg nphgr; gurl ner
> jung glcr?

obtuse

> 10. Triangles ABC and ADE are not the same size, but their
> corresponding angles are equal, making them the same shape.
> In geometrical terms they are what?

similar

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Numbers

> 1. Tom Brady.

12

8

> 3. Mickey Mantle.

7; 3

1

> 8. Pele.

10

> 9. Wilt Chamberlain.

2; 13

> 10. Babe Ruth.

3; 7

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: angles and numbers

<uh40f8$2kpr8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5679&group=rec.games.trivia#5679

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:25:11 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 20:25 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-25,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote both of these rounds.
>

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Science - Angles in Geometry
>
> Please see either copy of the diagram at:
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g2r7/geo.pdf
> (The pages were cut in half to make handouts for the original game.)
>
> and note that points are labeled by capital letters, angles by
> small letters.
>
> 1. The little square symbol at point B indicates that lines AB
> and BC form a right angle. Therefore, in a single word, these
> two lines are what?

Perpendicular

> 2. Lines BC and DE are what?

Parallel

> 3. A right angle equals how many radians?

25

> 4. For the next few questions we will ask "which one" of the
> lettered angles meets some requirement. Despite this wording,
> in some cases more than one answer is correct. And answers may
> repeat, so don't cross them off your diagram. Now, which one
> of the lettered angles is an external angle of the triangle ABC?

> 5. Angle v and which one of the lettered angles are complementary?

> 6. Angle v and which one of the lettered angles are supplementary?

w; u

> 7. Which one of the lettered angles is acute?

> 8. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with the
> previous question. Natyrf j naq m ner abg nphgr; gurl ner
> jung glcr?
>
> 9. If angles v, w, and x are added to form a single angle, this
> is what type?

Obtuse

> 10. Triangles ABC and ADE are not the same size, but their
> corresponding angles are equal, making them the same shape.
> In geometrical terms they are what?
>

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Numbers
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g2r8/numb.jpg
>
> We name a player; you identify them by number. Note: some of them
> have sometimes worn other numbers.
>
> 1. Tom Brady.

12

8

7

9

> 5. Johan Cruyff.

14

5

1

> 8. Pele.

10

> 9. Wilt Chamberlain.

13

3

> So there were 6 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points,
> decode the rot13 to see the player names, and give their numbers.
>
> 11. Yhv Cnffntyvn.

15

> 12. Wbr Zbagnan.

16

4

6

> 15. Arlzne.

11

> 16. Xnjuv Yrbaneq.

2

Pete Gayde

QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: angles and numbers

<R-6cncqsJ6B1vav4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5680&group=rec.games.trivia#5680

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: angles and numbers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 07:29:44 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 07:29 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-09-25,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote both of these rounds.

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Science - Angles in Geometry

> Please see either copy of the diagram at:
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g2r7/geo.pdf
> (The pages were cut in half to make handouts for the original game.)

> and note that points are labeled by capital letters, angles by
> small letters.

> 1. The little square symbol at point B indicates that lines AB
> and BC form a right angle. Therefore, in a single word, these
> two lines are what?

Perpendicular or orthogonal. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Pete.

> 2. Lines BC and DE are what?

Parallel. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> 3. A right angle equals how many radians?

pi/2. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Dan Blum. 2 for Stephen.

> 4. For the next few questions we will ask "which one" of the
> lettered angles meets some requirement. Despite this wording,
> in some cases more than one answer is correct. And answers may
> repeat, so don't cross them off your diagram. Now, which one
> of the lettered angles is an external angle of the triangle ABC?

w. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 5. Angle v and which one of the lettered angles are complementary?

u. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 6. Angle v and which one of the lettered angles are supplementary?

w or z. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 7. Which one of the lettered angles is acute?

u, v, x, or y. 4 for Joshua (the hard way), Dan Tilque, Erland,
Dan Blum, Stephen (the hard way), and Pete.

> 8. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with the
> previous question. Angles w and z are not acute; they are
> what type?

Obtuse. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 9. If angles v, w, and x are added to form a single angle, this
> is what type?

Reflex. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. Triangles ABC and ADE are not the same size, but their
> corresponding angles are equal, making them the same shape.
> In geometrical terms they are what?

Similar. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Numbers

> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g2r8/numb.jpg

> We name a player; you identify them by number. Note: some of them
> have sometimes worn other numbers.

This was the easiest round in the original game, even though one of
the photos was wrong -- I somehow had Johan Cruyff's photo identified
as Thierry Henry (who did also wear number 14, but sheesh).

> 1. Tom Brady.

Number 12. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Pete.

> 2. Kobe Bryant.

Number 8. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> 3. Mickey Mantle.

Number 7. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Pete. 3 for
Dan Blum.

> 4. Maurice Richard.

Number 9. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 5. Johan Cruyff.

Number 14. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Stephen, and Pete.

> 6. Ricky Ray.

Number 15. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. Johnny Bower.

Number 1. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 8. Pele.

Number 10. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> 9. Wilt Chamberlain.

Number 13. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Pete.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Babe Ruth.

Number 3. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Pete. 3 for
Dan Blum.

> So there were 6 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points,
> decode the rot13 to see the player names, and give their numbers.

> 11. Lui Passaglia.

Number 5.

> 12. Joe Montana.

Number 16. Joshua and Pete got this.

> 13. Bobby Orr.

Number 4. Joshua, Erland, and Pete got this.

> 14. Stan Musial.

Number 6. Joshua and Pete got this.

> 15. Neymar.

Number 11. Erland and Pete got this.

> 16. Kawhi Leonard.

Number 2. Joshua and Pete got this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Mis Lit Geo Sci Spo FOUR
Stephen Perry 36 40 40 36 34 40 156
Joshua Kreitzer 36 24 20 36 32 32 136
Dan Tilque 16 28 12 40 28 16 112
Dan Blum 16 8 20 28 36 20 104
Pete Gayde 20 24 -- -- 19 36 99
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 8 28 12 16 76

--
Mark Brader | "I'm a little worried about the bug-eater", she said.
Toronto | "We're embedded in bugs, have you noticed?"