"Don't think; let the machine do it for you!" -- E. C. Berkeley

interests / rec.games.trivia / Erland's occasional quiz

SubjectAuthor
* Erland's occasional quizErland Sommarskog
+- Erland's occasional quizMark Brader
+- Erland's occasional quizDan Tilque
+- Erland's occasional quizDan Blum
+- Erland's occasional quizJoshua Kreitzer
+- Erland's occasional quizswp
+- Erland's occasional quizPete Gayde
`* Erland's occasional quizErland Sommarskog
 +* Erland's occasional quizMark Brader
 |`- Erland's occasional quizErland Sommarskog
 `* Erland's occasional quizJoshua Kreitzer
  `- Erland's occasional quizErland Sommarskog

1
Erland's occasional quiz

<XnsB0ABE55CA13F0Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5694&group=rec.games.trivia#5694

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Erland's occasional quiz
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 22:32:49 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 20:32 UTC

Here is one of my occasional quizzes. 12 unasoorted questions of varying
degree of difficulty. As always, only use your knowledge. No googling,
asking the cat etc. Post your answers to the newsgroup. Each question is
worth one point. In case of a tie I will make a subjective evaluation of
the incorrect answers to name a single winner.

I plan to score this on Thursday Nov 2nd.

Have fun!

1. When was Moscow first established as a principality. Answer by giving a
half-century. For instance, if you think it happened this year, you would
answer "First half of 21st century."

2. The Italian film "Il Postino" ("The Postman") from 1994 tells a
fictive story, but one of the characters is a real-life Nobel
laureate in literature. Who?

3. Explain the Japanese term "karoshi".

4. What would you use Roundup for?

5. The Khazars, a Turkic people, dominated the land north of Caucasus during
a couple of centuries up around 950 AD. There is one thing which is
noticeable with them in terms of religion. What?

6. In linguistics, what sound change does "metathesis" refer to?

7. This band had already released three albums when they recruited a new
singer and released an album with the name of an European capital. This
album and the title track is probably their most well-known work. Name
the band.

8. Explain the term "Drowning on dry land".

9. If you are at the Roland Garros stadium, which sport are you likely to be
watching?

10, A logical consequence of the election results is that Donald T will come
back as a state leader. In which country?

11. Tata Group has business in a wide range of products and services. Their
origin and headquarters are in which country?

12. Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/P1000637.jpg. Name any of the
two lover boys.

Re: Erland's occasional quiz

<C_Gdnaiqk77eF6D4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5695&group=rec.games.trivia#5695

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!1.us.feeder.erje.net!3.us.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.26.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: Erland's occasional quiz
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 22:25:07 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 22:25 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
> 1. When was Moscow first established as a principality. Answer by giving a
> half-century. For instance, if you think it happened this year, you would
> answer "First half of 21st century."

I'll say first half of the 13th century.
> 4. What would you use Roundup for?

To kill weeds and allegedly harm myself.
> 6. In linguistics, what sound change does "metathesis" refer to?

An interchange of consonant sounds, as in "methatesis".

> 8. Explain the term "Drowning on dry land".

The result of drinking a potentially lethal excess of water.
> 9. If you are at the Roland Garros stadium, which sport are you likely to be
> watching?

Tennis. (Although the first time I heard of the place was when an
international bridge championship was relocated there following a
terrorist attack in the country it was scheduled for.)
> 10, A logical consequence of the election results is that Donald T will come
> back as a state leader. In which country?

Australia? (Guessed on the basis that the name sounds anglo and the
country has states.)
> 11. Tata Group has business in a wide range of products and services. Their
> origin and headquarters are in which country?

India.

They were the major investor in my former employer Exegenix.
> 12. Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/P1000637.jpg. Name any of the
> two lover boys.

Brezhnev?
--
Mark Brader | "...all these superheroes really have the same super-power:
Toronto | they have the writer(s) on their side."

Re: Erland's occasional quiz

<uhkcv0$3id26$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5696&group=rec.games.trivia#5696

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 18:36:28 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 01:36 UTC

On 10/28/23 13:32, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> 1. When was Moscow first established as a principality. Answer by giving a
> half-century. For instance, if you think it happened this year, you would
> answer "First half of 21st century."

first half of 12th century

> 2. The Italian film "Il Postino" ("The Postman") from 1994 tells a
> fictive story, but one of the characters is a real-life Nobel
> laureate in literature. Who?
>
> 3. Explain the Japanese term "karoshi".
>
> 4. What would you use Roundup for?

killing weeds

> 5. The Khazars, a Turkic people, dominated the land north of Caucasus during
> a couple of centuries up around 950 AD. There is one thing which is
> noticeable with them in terms of religion. What?

they were Zoroastrians

> 6. In linguistics, what sound change does "metathesis" refer to?

a sound at the beginning or end of a word moving to the adjacent word in
a common phrase.

> 7. This band had already released three albums when they recruited a new
> singer and released an album with the name of an European capital. This
> album and the title track is probably their most well-known work. Name
> the band.
>
> 8. Explain the term "Drowning on dry land".
>
> 9. If you are at the Roland Garros stadium, which sport are you likely to be
> watching?

bullfighting

> 10, A logical consequence of the election results is that Donald T will come
> back as a state leader. In which country?

Poland

> 11. Tata Group has business in a wide range of products and services. Their
> origin and headquarters are in which country?

India

> 12. Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/P1000637.jpg. Name any of the
> two lover boys.

Putin

--
Dan Tilque

Re: Erland's occasional quiz

<uhkhcv$j4b$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5697&group=rec.games.trivia#5697

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 02:52:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 02:52 UTC

Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote:

> 1. When was Moscow first established as a principality. Answer by giving a
> half-century. For instance, if you think it happened this year, you would
> answer "First half of 21st century."

first half of the 15th century

> 2. The Italian film "Il Postino" ("The Postman") from 1994 tells a
> fictive story, but one of the characters is a real-life Nobel
> laureate in literature. Who?

Calvino

> 3. Explain the Japanese term "karoshi".

to die from overwork

> 4. What would you use Roundup for?

killing weeds

> 5. The Khazars, a Turkic people, dominated the land north of Caucasus during
> a couple of centuries up around 950 AD. There is one thing which is
> noticeable with them in terms of religion. What?

supposedly the ruling family or families adopted Judaism

> 6. In linguistics, what sound change does "metathesis" refer to?

reversal of two phonemes in a word, e.g "iron" being pronounced
"eye-earn" in English

> 9. If you are at the Roland Garros stadium, which sport are you likely to be
> watching?

soccer

> 11. Tata Group has business in a wide range of products and services. Their
> origin and headquarters are in which country?

India

> 12. Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/P1000637.jpg. Name any of the
> two lover boys.

Brezhnev

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: Erland's occasional quiz

<8690710a-1d71-441b-9f0b-d1f1e8d8e935n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5702&group=rec.games.trivia#5702

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 09:20:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:20 UTC

On Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 3:32:52 PM UTC-5, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> 1. When was Moscow first established as a principality. Answer by giving a
> half-century. For instance, if you think it happened this year, you would
> answer "First half of 21st century."

First half of 15th century

> 2. The Italian film "Il Postino" ("The Postman") from 1994 tells a
> fictive story, but one of the characters is a real-life Nobel
> laureate in literature. Who?

Neruda

> 3. Explain the Japanese term "karoshi".

death by overwork

> 4. What would you use Roundup for?

killing weeds (it's a herbicide)

> 5. The Khazars, a Turkic people, dominated the land north of Caucasus during
> a couple of centuries up around 950 AD. There is one thing which is
> noticeable with them in terms of religion. What?

many of them were Jews

> 6. In linguistics, what sound change does "metathesis" refer to?

transposition of sounds

> 7. This band had already released three albums when they recruited a new
> singer and released an album with the name of an European capital. This
> album and the title track is probably their most well-known work. Name
> the band.

Ultravox

> 9. If you are at the Roland Garros stadium, which sport are you likely to be
> watching?

tennis
> 10, A logical consequence of the election results is that Donald T will come
> back as a state leader. In which country?

Poland

> 11. Tata Group has business in a wide range of products and services. Their
> origin and headquarters are in which country?

India

> 12. Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/P1000637.jpg. Name any of the
> two lover boys.

Brezhnev

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: Erland's occasional quiz

<ed969808-96a3-4300-8cc7-657c670b8d69n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5706&group=rec.games.trivia#5706

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 08:38:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 15:38 UTC

On Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 4:32:52 PM UTC-4, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Here is one of my occasional quizzes. 12 unasoorted questions of varying
> degree of difficulty. As always, only use your knowledge. No googling,
> asking the cat etc. Post your answers to the newsgroup. Each question is
> worth one point. In case of a tie I will make a subjective evaluation of
> the incorrect answers to name a single winner.

I like this idea

> I plan to score this on Thursday Nov 2nd.
>
> Have fun!

always

> 1. When was Moscow first established as a principality. Answer by giving a
> half-century. For instance, if you think it happened this year, you would
> answer "First half of 21st century."

second half of 13th century

> 2. The Italian film "Il Postino" ("The Postman") from 1994 tells a
> fictive story, but one of the characters is a real-life Nobel
> laureate in literature. Who?

neruda?

> 3. Explain the Japanese term "karoshi".

working yourself to death, literally

> 4. What would you use Roundup for?

killing weeds, getting cancer, and suing the manufacturer

> 5. The Khazars, a Turkic people, dominated the land north of Caucasus during
> a couple of centuries up around 950 AD. There is one thing which is
> noticeable with them in terms of religion. What?

they worshiped the sky instead of crom which greatly upset conan the cimmarian and led to much crushing of his enemies and hearing the lamentation of the women

> 6. In linguistics, what sound change does "metathesis" refer to?

when combining letters neither sound is made but instead a new sound [the linguistic equivalent of having a precipitate]

> 7. This band had already released three albums when they recruited a new
> singer and released an album with the name of an European capital. This
> album and the title track is probably their most well-known work. Name
> the band.

ultravox

> 8. Explain the term "Drowning on dry land".

when a tablespoon of water causes the larynx to close up causing choking; also, a vehicle for an episode of grey's anatomy

> 9. If you are at the Roland Garros stadium, which sport are you likely to be
> watching?

lawn tennis

> 10, A logical consequence of the election results is that Donald T will come
> back as a state leader. In which country?

poland, where my mother's parents were born and I have many cousins

> 11. Tata Group has business in a wide range of products and services. Their
> origin and headquarters are in which country?

india

> 12. Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/P1000637.jpg. Name any of the
> two lover boys.

leonid brezhnev

swp, who enjoyed doing this very much

Re: Erland's occasional quiz

<uhrhhn$15p9c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5707&group=rec.games.trivia#5707

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 13:37:43 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 18:37 UTC

Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Here is one of my occasional quizzes. 12 unasoorted questions of varying
> degree of difficulty. As always, only use your knowledge. No googling,
> asking the cat etc. Post your answers to the newsgroup. Each question is
> worth one point. In case of a tie I will make a subjective evaluation of
> the incorrect answers to name a single winner.
>
> I plan to score this on Thursday Nov 2nd.
>
> Have fun!
>

> 1. When was Moscow first established as a principality. Answer by giving a
> half-century. For instance, if you think it happened this year, you would
> answer "First half of 21st century."

First half of 15th century

> 2. The Italian film "Il Postino" ("The Postman") from 1994 tells a
> fictive story, but one of the characters is a real-life Nobel
> laureate in literature. Who?
>
> 3. Explain the Japanese term "karoshi".
>
> 4. What would you use Roundup for?

Kills vegetation

> 5. The Khazars, a Turkic people, dominated the land north of Caucasus during
> a couple of centuries up around 950 AD. There is one thing which is
> noticeable with them in terms of religion. What?
>
> 6. In linguistics, what sound change does "metathesis" refer to?
>
> 7. This band had already released three albums when they recruited a new
> singer and released an album with the name of an European capital. This
> album and the title track is probably their most well-known work. Name
> the band.
>
> 8. Explain the term "Drowning on dry land".
>
> 9. If you are at the Roland Garros stadium, which sport are you likely to be
> watching?

Tennis

> 10, A logical consequence of the election results is that Donald T will come
> back as a state leader. In which country?
>
> 11. Tata Group has business in a wide range of products and services. Their
> origin and headquarters are in which country?

France

> 12. Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/P1000637.jpg. Name any of the
> two lover boys.

Brezhnev

Pete Gayde

Re: Erland's occasional quiz

<XnsB0B0E5AD3C558Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5715&group=rec.games.trivia#5715

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 22:34:41 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 21:34 UTC

This quiz is over, and the winner is STEPHEN W PERRY! Congratulations!

Here is the full scoreboard:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Total
Swp 1 1 1 1 - - 1 1 - 1 1 1 9
Dan B - - 1 1 1 1 - - - - 1 1 6
Mark B - - - 1 - 1 - - 1 - 1 1 5
Dan T - - - 1 - - - - - 1 1 - 3
Pete G - - - 1 - - - - 1 - - 1 3

Answers:

> 1. When was Moscow first established as a principality. Answer by giving
> a half-century. For instance, if you think it happened this year, you
> would answer "First half of 21st century."

Second half of 13th century.

The exact year may be 1263, but the sources are somewhat conflicting. What
is clear is that the first prince was Alexander Nevsky's youngest son
Danil, and Nevsky died in 1263 when Danil was two years old. It is likely
that Nevsky gave Moscow to Danil as an appanage in his will. But according
to a footnote in the book I read about Russian in the 13th century, one
source says "Danil ruled there for eleven years", and Danil died in 1303,
which suggests that the principality was established later. But maybe that
scribe made a counting error.

> 2. The Italian film "Il Postino" ("The Postman") from 1994 tells a
> fictive story, but one of the characters is a real-life Nobel
> laureate in literature. Who?

Pablo Neruda. The film is set in the 1950s, so in the film he is not a Nobel
laureate. But he is very popular and get so much mail, that the title person
of the film gets the job of being his private postman,

> 3. Explain the Japanese term "karoshi".

Die from overwork.

> 4. What would you use Roundup for?

Kill weeds.

> 5. The Khazars, a Turkic people, dominated the land north of Caucasus
> during a couple of centuries up around 950 AD. There is one thing which
> is noticeable with them in terms of religion. What?

The embraced Judaism. As Dan suggests, it seems to have mainly been the
ruling class. From what I've heard, this was due to that they had the
Muslim Central Asia to the east and the Christian Byzantium to the
south-west, so they kept both at bay this way. But in the end, it didn't
help. They were sacked by the upcoming Kievan Rus - still pagans at the
time.

> 6. In linguistics, what sound change does "metathesis" refer to?

When two sounds in a word change placed with each other. Not necessarily
consonants, but I approved that anyway.

Dan Blum had a good example with "iron". Another example is "cross", which
is "croix" in French, "Kreuz" in German, but in the North-Germanic
languages it is "kors".

> 7. This band had already released three albums when they recruited a new
> singer and released an album with the name of an European capital. This
> album and the title track is probably their most well-known work. Name
> the band.

Ultravox.

The capital in question is Vienna.

> 8. Explain the term "Drowning on dry land".

You fall into the water, but you are saved and taken up from the water still
alive. But you have so much water in your lungs that you die by drowning
anyway.

Or at least this is what I found when I googled the term. I was listening
to a song with this name, and I got curious if there was an allegorical
meaning, and I was a little surprised that the explanation was very
literate. Being curious if there was something more to it, I decided to
ask this smart group, being prepared to accept about anything. But that
did not really work out.

I did not accept "The result of drinking a potentially lethal excess of
water", since in that case you don't die because of water in the lungs or
anything else resemblant of drowning. This is more like poisoning.

> 9. If you are at the Roland Garros stadium, which sport are you likely
> to be watching?

Tennis.

This is where French Open is played. I did not accept "Lawn tennis", since
the surface on Roland Garrod is red clay, not grass.

> 10, A logical consequence of the election results is that Donald T will
> come back as a state leader. In which country?

Poland.

T is for Tusk. And, no, Donald Tusk does not sound Polish. He was PM of
Poland 2007-2014. He was also President of the European Council 2014-2019.

> 11. Tata Group has business in a wide range of products and services.
> Their origin and headquarters are in which country?

India.

> 12. Refer to https://www.sommarskog.se/temp/P1000637.jpg. Name any of the
> two lover boys.

Leonid Brezhnev and Erich Honecker.

This is from East-Side Gallery which is a collection of grafiti paintings on
piece of the Berlin Wall that still stands. While this is a painting, I
believe that there is a photo with the same seen. The text at the bottom
reads "My God! Help me to survive this deadly love".

Thanks everyone for playing!

Re: Erland's occasional quiz

<0recnZiMIYs-3dn4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5717&group=rec.games.trivia#5717

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 00:36:51 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 00:36 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
> > 8. Explain the term "Drowning on dry land".
>
> You fall into the water, but you are saved and taken up from the water still
> alive. But you have so much water in your lungs that you die by drowning
> anyway.
>
> Or at least this is what I found when I googled the term...

I don't find a source that gives this explanation, only titles of songs
and a TV episode.

> I did not accept "The result of drinking a potentially lethal excess of
> water", since in that case you don't die because of water in the lungs or
> anything else resemblant of drowning. This is more like poisoning.

Fair enough. I had the impression I'd heard it described using the word
"drowning", but I'm probably misremembering.

> > 9. If you are at the Roland Garros stadium, which sport are you likely
> > to be watching?
>
> Tennis.
>
> This is where French Open is played. I did not accept "Lawn tennis", since
> the surface on Roland Garrod is red clay, not grass.

You should. "Lawn tennis" is a name of the sport, as distinct from
the older version called "real", "court", or "royal tennis".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Information! ... We want information!"
msb@vex.net -- The Prisoner

Re: Erland's occasional quiz

<5d454b00-dada-4267-9d17-11076d636649n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5718&group=rec.games.trivia#5718

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 20:44:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 03:44 UTC

On Thursday, November 2, 2023 at 4:34:44 PM UTC-5, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> This quiz is over, and the winner is STEPHEN W PERRY! Congratulations!
>
> Here is the full scoreboard:
>
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Total
> Swp 1 1 1 1 - - 1 1 - 1 1 1 9
> Dan B - - 1 1 1 1 - - - - 1 1 6
> Mark B - - - 1 - 1 - - 1 - 1 1 5
> Dan T - - - 1 - - - - - 1 1 - 3
> Pete G - - - 1 - - - - 1 - - 1 3

Erland:

Can you please post my score? I submitted my answers on October 29.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trivia/c/SAEBbPQpYa0/m/sWMLI9LSAAAJ

Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: Erland's occasional quiz

<XnsB0B1A01FA21F9Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5719&group=rec.games.trivia#5719

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 15:44:26 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:44 UTC

Joshua Kreitzer (gromit82@hotmail.com) writes:
> Can you please post my score? I submitted my answers on October 29.
>
> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trivia/c/SAEBbPQpYa0/m/sWMLI9LSAAAJ

Sorry, somehow that answer did not make it to my end (Eternal September).

Joshua's entry was very good, and when I had corrected Stephen's score
based on Mark's comment, I found that there was a tie.

Looking at the incorrect answers, I find that Joshua had declined
to answer one question and had reasonable guess for the question
on Moscow, whereas Stephen's both incorrect were "far out". I thereby
declare JOSHUA KREITZER as the winner of this quiz. Well done!

The revinsed score table:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Total
Joshua - 1 1 1 1 1 1 - 1 1 1 1 10
Swp 1 1 1 1 - - 1 1 1 1 1 1 10
Dan B - - 1 1 1 1 - - - - 1 1 6
Mark B - - - 1 - 1 - - 1 - 1 1 5
Dan T - - - 1 - - - - - 1 1 - 3
Pete G - - - 1 - - - - 1 - - 1 3

Re: Erland's occasional quiz

<XnsB0B1A1F928110Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5720&group=rec.games.trivia#5720

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 15:55:21 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:55 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> I don't find a source that gives this explanation, only titles of songs
> and a TV episode.

There is also at least one film with that title.

I googled for '"drownning on dry land" meaning' and where was a
blurb on the top of the page.

The top hit was https://www.fedhealth.co.za/drowning-on-dry-land/.