A clash of doctrine is not a disaster -- it is an opportunity.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: beers and bears

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: beers and bearsMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: beers and bearsErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: beers and bearsDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: beers and bearsJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: beers and bearsDan Blum
`- QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: beers and bearsMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: beers and bears

<wqKcnYAj-KMVaqT4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5689&group=rec.games.trivia#5689

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: beers and bears
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 05:22:16 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 05:22 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 3, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Types of Beer

Let this round of beers be on us! Just the questions and answers,
that is -- the tipples come from your own pockets.

1. What common type of beer is produced at low temperature and in
a variety of colors from pale to dark? Its name comes from
the German word for "storage".

2. What type of pale <answer 1> takes its name from the Germanized
form of the Czech city where it originated in the mid-1800s?
If you happen to be quaffing a Steam Whistle as we speak,
the answer is right there at the end of your arm.

3. This beer may be known as "white beer" in parts of Europe such
as Germany and the Netherlands. Sometimes spices are added,
and some people think it tastes like bananas or bubble gum.
You may find the Belgian Hoegaarden on tap at your local.
Answer in English, please, not German.

4. This beer style's tart taste was originally the result of reusing
a starter containing wild yeast and bacteria. Belgian lambics
are an example; the LCBO website lists Bellwoods Jelly King as
a local best-seller.

5. This one is a dark beer with a strong roasted flavor and mid
to high alcohol levels. Its name comes from being a stronger
form of porter.

6. This relatively highly hopped variety with generally, though
not always, a high alcohol content, got its name from its
ability to stay drinkable after long sea voyages.

7. This <answer 6> variant was invented about 20 years ago. It is
characterized by less bitterness and a somewhat opaque
appearance, due to brewing techniques such as later addition
of the hops and skipping the filtering step.

8. This strong German beer has a dark color with a sweet and
nutty taste. Its name refers to a goat, but that seems to be
a corruption of the name of the town where it was originally
brewed. One of the top sellers in Ontario is actually made
in Portugal; its name starts with "Super", if that helps.
Creemore Springs also has a version. If you want to go to the
source, try Erdinger Pikantus, which contains 7.3% alcohol.

9. This mainly-British term refers to a low-alcohol, malty,
cask-conditioned pale ale. If you stumble onto the Coronation
Street set, you're more or less obligated to order one at the
Rovers Return. Closer to home, when you're at this season's
Final, please try the variety that the Granite Brewery calls
"Best".

10. This German <answer 1>'s name simply comes from the word for
"dark" (which contrasts with "hell" or "helles" meaning
"bright"). It has been around in Bavaria since before the
regulations governing beer production were codified in 1516.
Typically it doesn't have a high alcohol content nor is it
particularly bitter.

* Game 3, Round 3 - Science - Bears

The last round was about beers, so for the science round we
have bears.

If you go down to the woods today, you're in for a big surprise if
you think bear spray is used like bug spray: as wildlife officials
needed to remind people last year in Oklahoma, that is definitely
not the case. Anyway, knowledge of our bruin neighbors being
clearly an advantage, this round will test your ursine lore.

1. What is the most populous bear species worldwide? In North
America alone, there are more of these bears than the worldwide
population of all other bears.

2. Which bear is known as "Ursus maritimus" to its classically-
and taxonomically-educated acquaintances?

3. What is the only species of bear that is practically an exclusive
herbivore?

4. You've just heard of three bear species; how many species are
there in all, according to the generally-accepted taxonomy?

Please decode the rot13 for the remaining questions only after
you have finished with #1-4.

5. Fbzr bs gubfr 8 fcrpvrf unir zhygvcyr fhofcrpvrf. Anzr gur
oynpx orne fhofcrpvrf, juvpu unf n juvgr-pbyberq inevnag, gung
vf gur cebivapvny znzzny bs Oevgvfu Pbyhzovn naq vf fvtavsvpnag
va Vaqvtrabhf genqvgvbaf.

6. Gur oebja orne, be Hefhf nepgbf, unf n fhofcrpvrf pnyyrq gur
Nynfxna oebja orne -- Hefhf nepgbf zvqqraqbessv. Ohg ubj vf
guvf fhofcrpvrf zber pbzzbayl xabja?

7. Gur fcrpgnpyrq orne, nyfb xabja nf gur fubeg-snprq orne naq
zbhagnva orne, be va vgf angvir unovgng nf hxhznev, vf gur bayl
yvivat orne vaqvtrabhf gb *juvpu pbagvarag*?

8. Nabgure oebja orne fhofcrpvrf unf gur gnkbabzvp anzr "Hefhf
nepgbf ubeevovyvf", tvivat fbzr vaqvpngvba bs vgf creprvirq
qvfcbfvgvba. Jung vf vgf pbzzba anzr?

9. Jung orne *rkgenpg* vf hfrq va fbzr Nfvna genqvgvbany zrqvpvar,
hasbeghangryl yrnqvat gb gur zvfgerngzrag bs gubhfnaqf bs ornef
va fb-pnyyrq "orne snezf"?

10. Nabgure oynpx orne fhofcrpvrf vf anzrq nsgre n pregnva sbbq,
va ersrerapr gb gur oebja be erq-oebja pbybe bs vgf she. Vg vf
glcvpnyyl sbhaq va gur jrfgrea HF, naq va cnegf bs jrfgrea
Pnanqn naq Bagnevb. Anzr vg.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Ah. I am now confused at a much more
msb@vex.net | advanced level, thank you." --Mike Lyle

Re: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: beers and bears

<XnsB0A9CF971D0F7Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5690&group=rec.games.trivia#5690

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: beers and bears
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 20:24:24 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:24 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Types of Beer
>
> 1. What common type of beer is produced at low temperature and in
> a variety of colors from pale to dark? Its name comes from
> the German word for "storage".

Lager
> 2. What type of pale <answer 1> takes its name from the Germanized
> form of the Czech city where it originated in the mid-1800s?
> If you happen to be quaffing a Steam Whistle as we speak,
> the answer is right there at the end of your arm.

Pilsner

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Science - Bears
>
> 1. What is the most populous bear species worldwide? In North
> America alone, there are more of these bears than the worldwide
> population of all other bears.

Brown bear
> 4. You've just heard of three bear species; how many species are
> there in all, according to the generally-accepted taxonomy?

16
> Please decode the rot13 for the remaining questions only after
> you have finished with #1-4.
>
> 5. Fbzr bs gubfr 8 fcrpvrf unir zhygvcyr fhofcrpvrf. Anzr gur
> oynpx orne fhofcrpvrf, juvpu unf n juvgr-pbyberq inevnag, gung
> vf gur cebivapvny znzzny bs Oevgvfu Pbyhzovn naq vf fvtavsvpnag
> va Vaqvtrabhf genqvgvbaf.

Cougar
> 7. Gur fcrpgnpyrq orne, nyfb xabja nf gur fubeg-snprq orne naq
> zbhagnva orne, be va vgf angvir unovgng nf hxhznev, vf gur bayl
> yvivat orne vaqvtrabhf gb *juvpu pbagvarag*?

Australia

Re: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: beers and bears

<uhf2sl$1u7p6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5691&group=rec.games.trivia#5691

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:13:54 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 01:13 UTC

On 10/25/23 22:22, Mark Brader wrote:

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Types of Beer
>
> Let this round of beers be on us! Just the questions and answers,
> that is -- the tipples come from your own pockets.
>
> 1. What common type of beer is produced at low temperature and in
> a variety of colors from pale to dark? Its name comes from
> the German word for "storage".

laager

> 2. What type of pale <answer 1> takes its name from the Germanized
> form of the Czech city where it originated in the mid-1800s?
> If you happen to be quaffing a Steam Whistle as we speak,
> the answer is right there at the end of your arm.

pilsner

> 3. This beer may be known as "white beer" in parts of Europe such
> as Germany and the Netherlands. Sometimes spices are added,
> and some people think it tastes like bananas or bubble gum.
> You may find the Belgian Hoegaarden on tap at your local.
> Answer in English, please, not German.

hefeweizen

> 4. This beer style's tart taste was originally the result of reusing
> a starter containing wild yeast and bacteria. Belgian lambics
> are an example; the LCBO website lists Bellwoods Jelly King as
> a local best-seller.
>
> 5. This one is a dark beer with a strong roasted flavor and mid
> to high alcohol levels. Its name comes from being a stronger
> form of porter.
>
> 6. This relatively highly hopped variety with generally, though
> not always, a high alcohol content, got its name from its
> ability to stay drinkable after long sea voyages.

India pale ale

> 7. This <answer 6> variant was invented about 20 years ago. It is
> characterized by less bitterness and a somewhat opaque
> appearance, due to brewing techniques such as later addition
> of the hops and skipping the filtering step.
>
> 8. This strong German beer has a dark color with a sweet and
> nutty taste. Its name refers to a goat, but that seems to be
> a corruption of the name of the town where it was originally
> brewed. One of the top sellers in Ontario is actually made
> in Portugal; its name starts with "Super", if that helps.
> Creemore Springs also has a version. If you want to go to the
> source, try Erdinger Pikantus, which contains 7.3% alcohol.
>
> 9. This mainly-British term refers to a low-alcohol, malty,
> cask-conditioned pale ale. If you stumble onto the Coronation
> Street set, you're more or less obligated to order one at the
> Rovers Return. Closer to home, when you're at this season's
> Final, please try the variety that the Granite Brewery calls
> "Best".
>
> 10. This German <answer 1>'s name simply comes from the word for
> "dark" (which contrasts with "hell" or "helles" meaning
> "bright"). It has been around in Bavaria since before the
> regulations governing beer production were codified in 1516.
> Typically it doesn't have a high alcohol content nor is it
> particularly bitter.
>

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Science - Bears
>
> The last round was about beers, so for the science round we
> have bears.
>
> If you go down to the woods today, you're in for a big surprise if
> you think bear spray is used like bug spray: as wildlife officials
> needed to remind people last year in Oklahoma, that is definitely
> not the case. Anyway, knowledge of our bruin neighbors being
> clearly an advantage, this round will test your ursine lore.
>
> 1. What is the most populous bear species worldwide? In North
> America alone, there are more of these bears than the worldwide
> population of all other bears.

black bear

> 2. Which bear is known as "Ursus maritimus" to its classically-
> and taxonomically-educated acquaintances?

polar bear

> 3. What is the only species of bear that is practically an exclusive
> herbivore?

panda

> 4. You've just heard of three bear species; how many species are
> there in all, according to the generally-accepted taxonomy?
>
> Please decode the rot13 for the remaining questions only after
> you have finished with #1-4.
>
> 5. Fbzr bs gubfr 8 fcrpvrf unir zhygvcyr fhofcrpvrf. Anzr gur
> oynpx orne fhofcrpvrf, juvpu unf n juvgr-pbyberq inevnag, gung
> vf gur cebivapvny znzzny bs Oevgvfu Pbyhzovn naq vf fvtavsvpnag
> va Vaqvtrabhf genqvgvbaf.
>
> 6. Gur oebja orne, be Hefhf nepgbf, unf n fhofcrpvrf pnyyrq gur
> Nynfxna oebja orne -- Hefhf nepgbf zvqqraqbessv. Ohg ubj vf
> guvf fhofcrpvrf zber pbzzbayl xabja?

Kodiak

> 7. Gur fcrpgnpyrq orne, nyfb xabja nf gur fubeg-snprq orne naq
> zbhagnva orne, be va vgf angvir unovgng nf hxhznev, vf gur bayl
> yvivat orne vaqvtrabhf gb *juvpu pbagvarag*?

Africa

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: beers and bears

<3dd51730-7a95-4aee-84fc-f7eb609553a7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5692&group=rec.games.trivia#5692

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.niel.me!glou.org!news.glou.org!usenet-fr.net!proxad.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!news.mixmin.net!eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!peer02.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:17:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 04:17 UTC

On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 12:22:28 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Types of Beer
>
> 1. What common type of beer is produced at low temperature and in
> a variety of colors from pale to dark? Its name comes from
> the German word for "storage".

lager

> 2. What type of pale <answer 1> takes its name from the Germanized
> form of the Czech city where it originated in the mid-1800s?
> If you happen to be quaffing a Steam Whistle as we speak,
> the answer is right there at the end of your arm.

pilsner

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Science - Bears
>
> 1. What is the most populous bear species worldwide? In North
> America alone, there are more of these bears than the worldwide
> population of all other bears.

brown bear; grizzly bear

> 2. Which bear is known as "Ursus maritimus" to its classically-
> and taxonomically-educated acquaintances?

polar bear

> 3. What is the only species of bear that is practically an exclusive
> herbivore?

giant panda

> 4. You've just heard of three bear species; how many species are
> there in all, according to the generally-accepted taxonomy?

9; 8

> Please decode the rot13 for the remaining questions only after
> you have finished with #1-4.
>
> 6. Gur oebja orne, be Hefhf nepgbf, unf n fhofcrpvrf pnyyrq gur
> Nynfxna oebja orne -- Hefhf nepgbf zvqqraqbessv. Ohg ubj vf
> guvf fhofcrpvrf zber pbzzbayl xabja?

grizzly bear; black bear

> 7. Gur fcrpgnpyrq orne, nyfb xabja nf gur fubeg-snprq orne naq
> zbhagnva orne, be va vgf angvir unovgng nf hxhznev, vf gur bayl
> yvivat orne vaqvtrabhf gb *juvpu pbagvarag*?

South America; Africa

> 8. Nabgure oebja orne fhofcrpvrf unf gur gnkbabzvp anzr "Hefhf
> nepgbf ubeevovyvf", tvivat fbzr vaqvpngvba bs vgf creprvirq
> qvfcbfvgvba. Jung vf vgf pbzzba anzr?

grizzly bear

> 10. Nabgure oynpx orne fhofcrpvrf vf anzrq nsgre n pregnva sbbq,
> va ersrerapr gb gur oebja be erq-oebja pbybe bs vgf she. Vg vf
> glcvpnyyl sbhaq va gur jrfgrea HF, naq va cnegf bs jrfgrea
> Pnanqn naq Bagnevb. Anzr vg.

cinnamon bear

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: beers and bears

<uhfeg1$c8s$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5693&group=rec.games.trivia#5693

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 04:32:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 04:32 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Types of Beer

> 1. What common type of beer is produced at low temperature and in
> a variety of colors from pale to dark? Its name comes from
> the German word for "storage".

lager

> 2. What type of pale <answer 1> takes its name from the Germanized
> form of the Czech city where it originated in the mid-1800s?
> If you happen to be quaffing a Steam Whistle as we speak,
> the answer is right there at the end of your arm.

pilsner

> 5. This one is a dark beer with a strong roasted flavor and mid
> to high alcohol levels. Its name comes from being a stronger
> form of porter.

stout

> 6. This relatively highly hopped variety with generally, though
> not always, a high alcohol content, got its name from its
> ability to stay drinkable after long sea voyages.

IPA

> 7. This <answer 6> variant was invented about 20 years ago. It is
> characterized by less bitterness and a somewhat opaque
> appearance, due to brewing techniques such as later addition
> of the hops and skipping the filtering step.

IPA

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Science - Bears

> 1. What is the most populous bear species worldwide? In North
> America alone, there are more of these bears than the worldwide
> population of all other bears.

brown bear

> 2. Which bear is known as "Ursus maritimus" to its classically-
> and taxonomically-educated acquaintances?

Kodiak bear; grizzly bear

> 3. What is the only species of bear that is practically an exclusive
> herbivore?

panda

> 4. You've just heard of three bear species; how many species are
> there in all, according to the generally-accepted taxonomy?

7; 8

> 5. Fbzr bs gubfr 8 fcrpvrf unir zhygvcyr fhofcrpvrf. Anzr gur
> oynpx orne fhofcrpvrf, juvpu unf n juvgr-pbyberq inevnag, gung
> vf gur cebivapvny znzzny bs Oevgvfu Pbyhzovn naq vf fvtavsvpnag
> va Vaqvtrabhf genqvgvbaf.

ghost bear

> 6. Gur oebja orne, be Hefhf nepgbf, unf n fhofcrpvrf pnyyrq gur
> Nynfxna oebja orne -- Hefhf nepgbf zvqqraqbessv. Ohg ubj vf
> guvf fhofcrpvrf zber pbzzbayl xabja?

Kodiak bear

> 7. Gur fcrpgnpyrq orne, nyfb xabja nf gur fubeg-snprq orne naq
> zbhagnva orne, be va vgf angvir unovgng nf hxhznev, vf gur bayl
> yvivat orne vaqvtrabhf gb *juvpu pbagvarag*?

South America

> 8. Nabgure oebja orne fhofcrpvrf unf gur gnkbabzvp anzr "Hefhf
> nepgbf ubeevovyvf", tvivat fbzr vaqvpngvba bs vgf creprvirq
> qvfcbfvgvba. Jung vf vgf pbzzba anzr?

grizzly bear

> 10. Nabgure oynpx orne fhofcrpvrf vf anzrq nsgre n pregnva sbbq,
> va ersrerapr gb gur oebja be erq-oebja pbybe bs vgf she. Vg vf
> glcvpnyyl sbhaq va gur jrfgrea HF, naq va cnegf bs jrfgrea
> Pnanqn naq Bagnevb. Anzr vg.

cinnamon bear

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: beers and bears

<7Aadna2DjJnueKD4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5698&group=rec.games.trivia#5698

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: beers and bears
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 04:54:11 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 04:54 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-02,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I did not write either of these rounds.

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Miscellaneous - Types of Beer

> Let this round of beers be on us! Just the questions and answers,
> that is -- the tipples come from your own pockets.

> 1. What common type of beer is produced at low temperature and in
> a variety of colors from pale to dark? Its name comes from
> the German word for "storage".

Lager. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Daan Tilque, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 2. What type of pale <answer 1> takes its name from the Germanized
> form of the Czech city where it originated in the mid-1800s?
> If you happen to be quaffing a Steam Whistle as we speak,
> the answer is right there at the end of your arm.

Pilsener. (The city is Plzen, with a hacek on the last letter.)
4 for everyone.

> 3. This beer may be known as "white beer" in parts of Europe such
> as Germany and the Netherlands. Sometimes spices are added,
> and some people think it tastes like bananas or bubble gum.
> You may find the Belgian Hoegaarden on tap at your local.
> Answer in English, please, not German.

Wheat beer.

> 4. This beer style's tart taste was originally the result of reusing
> a starter containing wild yeast and bacteria. Belgian lambics
> are an example; the LCBO website lists Bellwoods Jelly King as
> a local best-seller.

Sour beer.

> 5. This one is a dark beer with a strong roasted flavor and mid
> to high alcohol levels. Its name comes from being a stronger
> form of porter.

Stout. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. This relatively highly hopped variety with generally, though
> not always, a high alcohol content, got its name from its
> ability to stay drinkable after long sea voyages.

India Pale Ale (IPA). 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> 7. This <answer 6> variant was invented about 20 years ago. It is
> characterized by less bitterness and a somewhat opaque
> appearance, due to brewing techniques such as later addition
> of the hops and skipping the filtering step.

Hazy, juicy, or New England IPA (NEIPA).

> 8. This strong German beer has a dark color with a sweet and
> nutty taste. Its name refers to a goat, but that seems to be
> a corruption of the name of the town where it was originally
> brewed. One of the top sellers in Ontario is actually made
> in Portugal; its name starts with "Super", if that helps.
> Creemore Springs also has a version. If you want to go to the
> source, try Erdinger Pikantus, which contains 7.3% alcohol.

Bock. (The town is Einbeck.)

> 9. This mainly-British term refers to a low-alcohol, malty,
> cask-conditioned pale ale. If you stumble onto the Coronation
> Street set, you're more or less obligated to order one at the
> Rovers Return. Closer to home, when you're at this season's
> Final, please try the variety that the Granite Brewery calls
> "Best".

Bitter.

> 10. This German <answer 1>'s name simply comes from the word for
> "dark" (which contrasts with "hell" or "helles" meaning
> "bright"). It has been around in Bavaria since before the
> regulations governing beer production were codified in 1516.
> Typically it doesn't have a high alcohol content nor is it
> particularly bitter.

Dunkel.

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Science - Bears

> The last round was about beers, so for the science round we
> have bears.

> If you go down to the woods today, you're in for a big surprise if
> you think bear spray is used like bug spray: as wildlife officials
> needed to remind people last year in Oklahoma, that is definitely
> not the case. Anyway, knowledge of our bruin neighbors being
> clearly an advantage, this round will test your ursine lore.

> 1. What is the most populous bear species worldwide? In North
> America alone, there are more of these bears than the worldwide
> population of all other bears.

Black bear. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 2. Which bear is known as "Ursus maritimus" to its classically-
> and taxonomically-educated acquaintances?

Polar bear. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 3. What is the only species of bear that is practically an exclusive
> herbivore?

Panda (aka giant panda or panda bear). 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua,
and Dan Blum.

> 4. You've just heard of three bear species; how many species are
> there in all, according to the generally-accepted taxonomy?

8. 2 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> Please decode the rot13 for the remaining questions only after
> you have finished with #1-4.

> 5. Some of those 8 species have multiple subspecies. Name the
> black bear subspecies, which has a white-colored variant, that
> is the provincial mammal of British Columbia and is significant
> in Indigenous traditions.

Spirit, ghost, or Kermode bear. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. The brown bear, or Ursus arctos, has a subspecies called the
> Alaskan brown bear -- Ursus arctos middendorffi. But how is
> this subspecies more commonly known?

Kodiak bear. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

Fun fact: "ursus" is Latin for "bear", but "arctos" is Greek for
"bear".

> 7. The spectacled bear, also known as the short-faced bear and
> mountain bear, or in its native habitat as ukumari, is the only
> living bear indigenous to *which continent*?

South America. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua.

> 8. Another brown bear subspecies has the taxonomic name "Ursus
> arctos horribilis", giving some indication of its perceived
> disposition. What is its common name?

Grizzly bear. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 9. What bear *extract* is used in some Asian traditional medicine,
> unfortunately leading to the mistreatment of thousands of bears
> in so-called "bear farms"?

Bile (gall bladder extract).

> 10. Another black bear subspecies is named after a certain food,
> in reference to the brown or red-brown color of its fur. It is
> typically found in the western US, and in parts of western
> Canada and Ontario. Name it.

Cinnamon bear. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Mis Sci
Dan Blum 16 26 42
Joshua Kreitzer 8 21 29
Dan Tilque 12 16 28
Erland Sommarskog 8 0 8

--
Mark Brader | "I'm surprised there aren't laws about this in the USA..."
msb@vex.net | "Of course there are laws about this in the USA.