Among the lucky, you are the chosen one.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US cities

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US citiesMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US citiesswp
+- QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US citiesJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US citiesErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US citiesDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US citiesDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US citiesPete Gayde
`- QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: Canadian ranks, US citiesMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US cities

<G4ednbvJ7Ixbutb4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5733&group=rec.games.trivia#5733

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US cities
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 06:16:38 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 06:16 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Army and Navy Ranks

Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g4r2/ranks.pdf

For the first 6 questions, we give you the number and tell you
which military force, and you must name the rank. Note that two
images are shown for each of illustrations #3 through #6 -- those
are the shoulder and sleeve insignia for the rank.

1. In Canada the official pronunciation of "L-I-E-U-T-E-N-A-N-T"
is the British "lef-tenant", not the sensible "loo-tenant".
So, in the army, which insignia is a lieutenant-general?

2. In the navy, which one is an acting sub-lieutenant?
3. In the navy, which one is a captain?
4. In the army, which one is a captain?
5. In the army, which one is a colonel?
6. In the navy, which one is a lieutenant?

The remaining questions, of course, work the other way. You must
give the full name of each rank -- if the right answer was
"lieutenant-general", then "lieutenant" or "general" would be wrong,
even though this officer would be addressed as "General" Johnson.

7. What navy rank has insignia 4?
8. What army rank has insignia 3?
9. What army rank has insignia 9?
10. What navy rank has insignia 15?

So there were 6 decoys. Please decode the rot13 after you've
finished the round, if you'd like to see the ranks and identify
the insignia for each one, for fun, but for no points.

11. Anil, puvrs crggl bssvpre svefg pynff.
12. Nezl, znwbe.
13. Nezl, fretrnag.
14. Anil, nqzveny.
15. Nezl, yvrhgranag-pbybary.
16. Anil, yvrhgranag-pbzznaqre.

* Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States

We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.

1. Florida.
2. Alaska.
3. Louisiana.
4. Delaware.
5. Iowa.
6. Kentucky.
7. Maine.
8. Texas.
9. North Dakota.
10. Montana.

--
Mark Brader "They're trying to invent a new crime:
Toronto interference with a business model."

Re: QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US cities

<ff1fea26-f907-42ed-9076-0e16afa1577cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5734&group=rec.games.trivia#5734

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 16:09:58 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 00:09 UTC

On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 1:16:50 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-16,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.

coincidentally, neither did I

5

> 2. In the navy, which one is an acting sub-lieutenant?

16

> 3. In the navy, which one is a captain?

14

> 4. In the army, which one is a captain?

10

7

2

> The remaining questions, of course, work the other way. You must
> give the full name of each rank -- if the right answer was
> "lieutenant-general", then "lieutenant" or "general" would be wrong,
> even though this officer would be addressed as "General" Johnson.
>
> 7. What navy rank has insignia 4?

rear admiral

> 8. What army rank has insignia 3?

brigadier general

> 9. What army rank has insignia 9?

2nd lieutenant

> 10. What navy rank has insignia 15?

commander

> So there were 6 decoys. Please decode the rot13 after you've
> finished the round, if you'd like to see the ranks and identify
> the insignia for each one, for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Navy, chief petty officer first class.

11

> 12. Army, major.

12

> 13. Army, sergeant.

13

6

1

8

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States
>
> We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
> name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
> to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.
>
> 1. Florida.

jacksonville

> 2. Alaska.

anchorage

> 3. Louisiana.

new orleans

> 4. Delaware.

wilmington

> 5. Iowa.

des moines

> 6. Kentucky.

louisville

> 7. Maine.

portland

> 8. Texas.

houston

> 9. North Dakota.

fargo

> 10. Montana.

billings

> --
> Mark Brader "They're trying to invent a new crime:
> Toronto interference with a business model."
> m...@vex.net --Bruce Schneier
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US cities

<158483b3-eea5-4377-9ea2-9d9543b7cccbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5735&group=rec.games.trivia#5735

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 16:12:10 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 00:12 UTC

On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 12:16:50 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Army and Navy Ranks

Pass.
> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States
>
> We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
> name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
> to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.
>
> 1. Florida.

Jacksonville

> 2. Alaska.

Anchorage

> 3. Louisiana.

New Orleans

> 4. Delaware.

Wilmington

> 5. Iowa.

Des Moines

> 6. Kentucky.

Louisville
> 7. Maine.

Portland
> 8. Texas.

Houston
> 9. North Dakota.

Grand Falls; Fargo

> 10. Montana.

Bozeman; Billings

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US cities

<XnsB0B6DB0A2B11EYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5736&group=rec.games.trivia#5736

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 21:31:56 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 20:31 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States
>
> We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
> name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
> to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.
>
> 1. Florida.

Miami

> 2. Alaska.

Anchorage

> 3. Louisiana.

New Oreleans

> 4. Delaware.

Wilmington

> 5. Iowa.

Des Moines

> 6. Kentucky.

Louisville

> 7. Maine.

Portland

> 8. Texas.

Houston

> 9. North Dakota.

Fargo

> 10. Montana.

Helena

Re: QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US cities

<uihphd$ftp$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5737&group=rec.games.trivia#5737

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 05:09:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 05:09 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Army and Navy Ranks

> 1. In Canada the official pronunciation of "L-I-E-U-T-E-N-A-N-T"
> is the British "lef-tenant", not the sensible "loo-tenant".
> So, in the army, which insignia is a lieutenant-general?

5

> 2. In the navy, which one is an acting sub-lieutenant?

16

> 3. In the navy, which one is a captain?

14

> 4. In the army, which one is a captain?

1

> 5. In the army, which one is a colonel?

10

> 6. In the navy, which one is a lieutenant?

2

> 7. What navy rank has insignia 4?

rear admiral

> 8. What army rank has insignia 3?

brigadier

> 9. What army rank has insignia 9?

first lieutenant

> 10. What navy rank has insignia 15?

commander

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States

> 1. Florida.

Miami

> 2. Alaska.

Anchorage

> 3. Louisiana.

New Orleans

> 4. Delaware.

Dover

> 5. Iowa.

Des Moines

> 6. Kentucky.

Louisville

> 7. Maine.

Portland

> 8. Texas.

Houston

> 9. North Dakota.

Bismarck

> 10. Montana.

Helena; Billings

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US cities

<uii9t5$250fk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5738&group=rec.games.trivia#5738

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 01:48:18 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 09:48 UTC

On 11/7/23 22:16, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Army and Navy Ranks
>
> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g4r2/ranks.pdf
>
> For the first 6 questions, we give you the number and tell you
> which military force, and you must name the rank. Note that two
> images are shown for each of illustrations #3 through #6 -- those
> are the shoulder and sleeve insignia for the rank.
>
> 1. In Canada the official pronunciation of "L-I-E-U-T-E-N-A-N-T"
> is the British "lef-tenant", not the sensible "loo-tenant".
> So, in the army, which insignia is a lieutenant-general?

5

> 2. In the navy, which one is an acting sub-lieutenant?

16

> 3. In the navy, which one is a captain?

14

> 4. In the army, which one is a captain?

10

> 5. In the army, which one is a colonel?

7

> 6. In the navy, which one is a lieutenant?

8

> The remaining questions, of course, work the other way. You must
> give the full name of each rank -- if the right answer was
> "lieutenant-general", then "lieutenant" or "general" would be wrong,
> even though this officer would be addressed as "General" Johnson.
>
> 7. What navy rank has insignia 4?

Rear Admiral

> 8. What army rank has insignia 3?

Brigadier General

> 9. What army rank has insignia 9?

Lieutenant

> 10. What navy rank has insignia 15?

Lieutenant Commander

> So there were 6 decoys. Please decode the rot13 after you've
> finished the round, if you'd like to see the ranks and identify
> the insignia for each one, for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Anil, puvrs crggl bssvpre svefg pynff.
> 12. Nezl, znwbe.
> 13. Nezl, fretrnag.
> 14. Anil, nqzveny.
> 15. Nezl, yvrhgranag-pbybary.
> 16. Anil, yvrhgranag-pbzznaqre.
>

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States
>
> We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
> name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
> to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.
>
> 1. Florida.

Miami

> 2. Alaska.

Anchorage

> 3. Louisiana.

New Orleans

> 4. Delaware.

Wilmington

> 5. Iowa.

Des Moines

> 6. Kentucky.

Lexington

> 7. Maine.

Portland

> 8. Texas.

Houston

> 9. North Dakota.

Fargo

> 10. Montana.

Great Falls; Billings

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: Canadian ranks, US cities

<uikcng$2lmj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5739&group=rec.games.trivia#5739

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 22:48:47 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 04:48 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-16,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Army and Navy Ranks
>
> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g4r2/ranks.pdf
>
> For the first 6 questions, we give you the number and tell you
> which military force, and you must name the rank. Note that two
> images are shown for each of illustrations #3 through #6 -- those
> are the shoulder and sleeve insignia for the rank.
>
> 1. In Canada the official pronunciation of "L-I-E-U-T-E-N-A-N-T"
> is the British "lef-tenant", not the sensible "loo-tenant".
> So, in the army, which insignia is a lieutenant-general?
>
> 2. In the navy, which one is an acting sub-lieutenant?
> 3. In the navy, which one is a captain?
> 4. In the army, which one is a captain?
> 5. In the army, which one is a colonel?
> 6. In the navy, which one is a lieutenant?
>
> The remaining questions, of course, work the other way. You must
> give the full name of each rank -- if the right answer was
> "lieutenant-general", then "lieutenant" or "general" would be wrong,
> even though this officer would be addressed as "General" Johnson.
>
> 7. What navy rank has insignia 4?
> 8. What army rank has insignia 3?
> 9. What army rank has insignia 9?
> 10. What navy rank has insignia 15?
>
> So there were 6 decoys. Please decode the rot13 after you've
> finished the round, if you'd like to see the ranks and identify
> the insignia for each one, for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Anil, puvrs crggl bssvpre svefg pynff.
> 12. Nezl, znwbe.
> 13. Nezl, fretrnag.
> 14. Anil, nqzveny.
> 15. Nezl, yvrhgranag-pbybary.
> 16. Anil, yvrhgranag-pbzznaqre.
>

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States
>
> We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
> name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
> to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.
>
> 1. Florida.

Miami; Orlando

> 2. Alaska.

Fairbanks

> 3. Louisiana.

New Orleans

> 4. Delaware.

Wilmington

> 5. Iowa.

Des Moines

> 6. Kentucky.

Louisville

> 7. Maine.

Portland

> 8. Texas.

Houston

> 9. North Dakota.

Fargo

> 10. Montana.

Billings; Butte

Pete Gayde

QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: Canadian ranks, US cities

<leudnWv0z6_-hdL4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5740&group=rec.games.trivia#5740

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: Canadian ranks, US cities
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 06:00:03 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 06:00 UTC

Mark Brader:

#5. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

#16. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

#14. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

#10. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

#7. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

#2. 4 for Stephen and Dan Blum.

> The remaining questions, of course, work the other way. You must
> give the full name of each rank -- if the right answer was
> "lieutenant-general", then "lieutenant" or "general" would be wrong,
> even though this officer would be addressed as "General" Johnson.

> 7. What navy rank has insignia 4?

Rear admiral. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. What army rank has insignia 3?

Brigadier-general. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

"Brigadier" is a British army rank.

> 9. What army rank has insignia 9?

Second lieutenant (either pronunciation was accepted). 4 for Stephen.

> 10. What navy rank has insignia 15?

Commander. 4 for Stephen and Dan Blum.

> So there were 6 decoys. Please decode the rot13 after you've
> finished the round, if you'd like to see the ranks and identify
> the insignia for each one, for fun, but for no points.

Only Stephen tried these, and he got all 6 right.

#11.

#12.

#13.

#6.

#1.

#8.

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Largest Cities in US States

> We'll give you the name of a US state; you simply tell us the
> name of its largest city by population. In every case we are referring
> to the population of the city proper, not its metropolitan area.

> 1. Florida.

Jacksonville. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

It's more than twice the population of Miami and three times
that of Orlando, which is also smaller than Tampa.

> 2. Alaska.

Anchorage. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.
It's almost 9 times the population of Fairbanks, which is #2.

> 3. Louisiana.

New Orleans. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. Delaware.

Wilmington. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
Dover is #2, but Wilmington has almost twice the population.

> 5. Iowa.

Des Moines. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Kentucky.

Louisville. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.
Lexington is #2, but Louisville has almost twice the population.

> 7. Maine.

Portland. 4 for everyone.

> 8. Texas.

Houston. 4 for everyone.

> 9. North Dakota.

Fargo. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 2 for Joshua.
It's about 75% larger than Bismarck, which is #2, and more than
double the #3 city, which is Grand Forks, not Grand Falls.

> 10. Montana.

Billings. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete. 2 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

Billings is almost twice the population of Great Falls, the #3 city;
more than twice that of Bozeman, #4; and 3.5 times that of Helena, #6.
(#2 is Missoula and #5 is Butte.)

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Geo
Stephen Perry 40 40 80
Dan Tilque 28 30 58
Dan Blum 24 26 50
Joshua Kreitzer 0 36 36
Erland Sommarskog 0 32 32
Pete Gayde 0 31 31

--
Mark Brader | "After that, he spent a long time just reading netnews.
msb@vex.net | Sorry, I mean of course that he was debugging his