The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8Mark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8Erland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8Dan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8Joshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8Dan Tilque
`- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8 answersMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8

<bKadnWa7N_KJUcn4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5753&group=rec.games.trivia#5753

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:48:04 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:48 UTC

Oh sheesh. I prepared the current-events rounds from Games 5 and 6
for posting two weeks ago, but never actually posted that set.

Okay, I guess the simplest way to recover is to make a single
posting with current-events rounds from *four* weeks. Please answer
whichever ones you like, and *if you do not answer all four rounds,
then include the Game/Round header lines*. (Erland, this means you!)

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 5 (2023-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Which Canadian tennis player won the singles championship at
the 2023 Hong Kong Open, her first title win in 19 months?

2. Two of Donald Trump's motley crew of lawyers pleaded guilty
last week to charges related to meddling with the 2020
presidential election results for the state of Georgia.
Name either one.

3. Which movie recently took in an estimated $95-97 million (US
dollars) at the box office in its opening weekend?

4. Who is the actress who starred in "The Hustler", "Carrie", and
"Twin Peaks", and died last week at age 91?

5. Which Latin American nation just elected as its new president
Daniel Noboa, the 35-year-old son of the richest man in the
country?

6. Which European country held an election last week that apparently
means the end of the incumbent right-wing populist government?

7. A social media company and a Canadian bank last week each
announced that they would be laying off about 3% of their
workforce. Coincidence? We assume so. But name either
organization.

8. A 6-year-old boy named Adonis just released his own rap track
and music video named "My Man Freestyle". At the risk of
throwing shade on one of such tender years, the phrase "nepo
baby" comes to mind. Who is his famous father?

9. Which country's supreme court declined last week to accept a
petition to legalize same-sex marriage, opting to kick the
matter over to the legislature?

10. Which Toronto condo mega-development just went into receivership
at the request of its major lender? Give its name or street
address.

* Game 6 (2023-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Early last week China was accused of ramming two ships from
what other country during an encounter in the South China Sea?

2. Which Ontario MPP was censured in the legislature and kicked
out of the NDP caucus for not retracting comments made after
the Hamas attacks on Israel?

3. An off-duty pilot was charged with attempted murder last week
for attempting to turn off the plane's engines in mid-air on
a flight belonging to which airline?

4. Also in airline news, Air Canada has apologized to a British
MP on account of aggressive questioning before he boarded flights
to and from this country, allegedly because of his first name,
which is what?

5. Why was Prime Minister Katrín Jakobsdóttir on strike?

6. Who is the Alberta judge who was just selected by the prime
minister to fill the vacant seat on the federal Supreme Court?

7. Which Canadian swimmer just won seven medals, including five
golds, at this year's Pan Am games in Santiago, Chile?

8. Bobi, who at the time of his death held the record for the
oldest dog ever, died recently in Portugal at what age?
(Human years, please.)

9. Which actress not named Smith has just revealed that she and
her husband have been living in Splitsville for the past 6 years?

10. He was "the cat who won't cop out when there's danger all
about". Name the 81-year-old star of "Shaft" who died last week.

* Game 7 (2023-11-06), Round 1 - Current Events

1. What is the new minimum age in Ontario for non-high-risk patients
to self-refer for a mammogram?

2. Treasury Board president Anita Anand announced this week that
two software apps were banned for use on government devices on
account of security concerns. Name *either* app.

3. After being hired to restructure the company 10 years ago, but
with the stock price considerably lower now than when he started,
John Chen left the CEO job at which Canadian corporation
last week?

4. Also in business news, the TSX had its best day in months last
Thursday. How many points did the index gain that day, within
10% of the true number in either direction?

5. The Prime Minister recently appointed former BC premier John
Horgan as ambassador to which country?

6. King Charles went to Africa last week for the first time
as monarch. To which country did he pay a 4-day visit?

7. Which well-known entertainer dropped in for a visit to the
Montreal Canadiens dressing room last week when the team was
in Las Vegas?

8. Name the new Beatles single that was released last week, using
a vocal track recorded by John in the 1970s, guitar work by
George from the 1990s, and later contributions by Paul and Ringo?

9. Which person's membership in the Order of Canada was terminated
last week at their own request, following questions about their
claims of Indigenous ancestry?

10. Which team went hitless through 6 innings, but eventually scored
and went on to win the fifth and last game of the World Series
last week, for the first championship in the franchise's
63-year history? (Place name or team name.)

* Game 8 (2023-11-13), Round 1 - Current Events

1. In *which German city*'s airport did a hostage-taking situation
end last week with the suspect under arrest and the hostage --
his daughter -- rescued unharmed?

2. An explosion -- so far unexplained -- inside the compound of
the Canadian High Commission in *which country* killed two
people last week?

3. A fire last week in *which GTA municipality* destroyed a group
of 40 townhouses under construction, as well as a fire-department
ladder truck?

4. Three residents of the National Zoo in Washington, DC, left
for good last week. What species do they belong to?

5. A tour bus for *which Canadian singer* overturned in Saskatchewan
last week, sending 13 people to hospital? The singer was not
on board.

6. So-called off-year elections were held in several US states
on Tuesday. In *which red state* did a referendum pass to add
abortion rights to the state constitution?

7. The SAG-AFTRA actors' strike ended last week after how many days,
within 10% of the true number in either direction?

8. Which former US astronaut died last week at age 95? He flew
on Gemini 7 and later commanded Apollo 8, the first manned
flight to lunar orbit. (Or as they now want us to say, crude
though it sounds, "crewed" flight.)

9. Music from which movie soundtrack just received eleven 2024
Grammy nominations, including five for a single song by Billie
Eilish?

10. Surgeons at New York University announced last week that they
had performed the first-ever human transplant of which organ,
as part of a larger procedure?

--
Mark Brader | "Writing that used both upper-case and lower-case
Toronto | characters became fashionable many centuries ago.

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8

<XnsB0BDA027E9B3BYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5754&group=rec.games.trivia#5754

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:44:38 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:44 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5 (2023-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events
> 5. Which Latin American nation just elected as its new president
> Daniel Noboa, the 35-year-old son of the richest man in the
> country?

Ecuadoe
> 6. Which European country held an election last week that apparently
> means the end of the incumbent right-wing populist government?

Poland

> * Game 6 (2023-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Early last week China was accused of ramming two ships from
> what other country during an encounter in the South China Sea?

Phillipines
> 3. An off-duty pilot was charged with attempted murder last week
> for attempting to turn off the plane's engines in mid-air on
> a flight belonging to which airline?

Americam
> 5. Why was Prime Minister Katrín Jakobsdóttir on strike?

All women on Iceland were on strike that day.

> 8. Bobi, who at the time of his death held the record for the
> oldest dog ever, died recently in Portugal at what age?
> (Human years, please.)

42

> * Game 7 (2023-11-06), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 6. King Charles went to Africa last week for the first time
> as monarch. To which country did he pay a 4-day visit?

Kenya

> 7. Which well-known entertainer dropped in for a visit to the
> Montreal Canadiens dressing room last week when the team was
> in Las Vegas?

Beyoncé
> 8. Name the new Beatles single that was released last week, using
> a vocal track recorded by John in the 1970s, guitar work by
> George from the 1990s, and later contributions by Paul and Ringo?

Now and Then
> * Game 8 (2023-11-13), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In *which German city*'s airport did a hostage-taking situation
> end last week with the suspect under arrest and the hostage --
> his daughter -- rescued unharmed?

Hamburg
> 6. So-called off-year elections were held in several US states
> on Tuesday. In *which red state* did a referendum pass to add
> abortion rights to the state constitution?

Ohio

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8

<uj3kuj$djn$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5756&group=rec.games.trivia#5756

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 23:41:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 23:41 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5 (2023-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events

> 5. Which Latin American nation just elected as its new president
> Daniel Noboa, the 35-year-old son of the richest man in the
> country?

Ecuador

> 6. Which European country held an election last week that apparently
> means the end of the incumbent right-wing populist government?

Poland

> * Game 6 (2023-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Early last week China was accused of ramming two ships from
> what other country during an encounter in the South China Sea?

Taiwan

> 4. Also in airline news, Air Canada has apologized to a British
> MP on account of aggressive questioning before he boarded flights
> to and from this country, allegedly because of his first name,
> which is what?

Mohammed

> 10. He was "the cat who won't cop out when there's danger all
> about". Name the 81-year-old star of "Shaft" who died last week.

Hayes

> * Game 7 (2023-11-06), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. What is the new minimum age in Ontario for non-high-risk patients
> to self-refer for a mammogram?

40; 50

> 2. Treasury Board president Anita Anand announced this week that
> two software apps were banned for use on government devices on
> account of security concerns. Name *either* app.

TikTok

> 8. Name the new Beatles single that was released last week, using
> a vocal track recorded by John in the 1970s, guitar work by
> George from the 1990s, and later contributions by Paul and Ringo?

Now and Then

> 10. Which team went hitless through 6 innings, but eventually scored
> and went on to win the fifth and last game of the World Series
> last week, for the first championship in the franchise's
> 63-year history? (Place name or team name.)

Astros

> * Game 8 (2023-11-13), Round 1 - Current Events

> 4. Three residents of the National Zoo in Washington, DC, left
> for good last week. What species do they belong to?

giant panda

> 6. So-called off-year elections were held in several US states
> on Tuesday. In *which red state* did a referendum pass to add
> abortion rights to the state constitution?

Ohio

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8

<0a5b9651-02bb-4347-9d58-a1832c740e91n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5757&group=rec.games.trivia#5757

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:41:32 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 01:41 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 7:48:16 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2023-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. Which movie recently took in an estimated $95-97 million (US
> dollars) at the box office in its opening weekend?

"Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour"
> 4. Who is the actress who starred in "The Hustler", "Carrie", and
> "Twin Peaks", and died last week at age 91?

Piper Laurie

> 6. Which European country held an election last week that apparently
> means the end of the incumbent right-wing populist government?

Poland

> * Game 6 (2023-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events
> 1. Early last week China was accused of ramming two ships from
> what other country during an encounter in the South China Sea?

Philippines

> 10. He was "the cat who won't cop out when there's danger all
> about". Name the 81-year-old star of "Shaft" who died last week.

Richard Roundtree
> * Game 7 (2023-11-06), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 6. King Charles went to Africa last week for the first time
> as monarch. To which country did he pay a 4-day visit?

Kenya

> 8. Name the new Beatles single that was released last week, using
> a vocal track recorded by John in the 1970s, guitar work by
> George from the 1990s, and later contributions by Paul and Ringo?

"Now and Then"
> * Game 8 (2023-11-13), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 4. Three residents of the National Zoo in Washington, DC, left
> for good last week. What species do they belong to?

giant pandas
> 6. So-called off-year elections were held in several US states
> on Tuesday. In *which red state* did a referendum pass to add
> abortion rights to the state constitution?

Ohio
> 8. Which former US astronaut died last week at age 95? He flew
> on Gemini 7 and later commanded Apollo 8, the first manned
> flight to lunar orbit. (Or as they now want us to say, crude
> though it sounds, "crewed" flight.)

Frank Borman
> 9. Music from which movie soundtrack just received eleven 2024
> Grammy nominations, including five for a single song by Billie
> Eilish?

"Barbie"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8

<uj6mrd$2kvha$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5758&group=rec.games.trivia#5758

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 19:31:54 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 03:31 UTC

On 11/15/23 05:48, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2023-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which Canadian tennis player won the singles championship at
> the 2023 Hong Kong Open, her first title win in 19 months?
>
> 2. Two of Donald Trump's motley crew of lawyers pleaded guilty
> last week to charges related to meddling with the 2020
> presidential election results for the state of Georgia.
> Name either one.

Powell

> 3. Which movie recently took in an estimated $95-97 million (US
> dollars) at the box office in its opening weekend?

Barbie

> 4. Who is the actress who starred in "The Hustler", "Carrie", and
> "Twin Peaks", and died last week at age 91?
>
> 5. Which Latin American nation just elected as its new president
> Daniel Noboa, the 35-year-old son of the richest man in the
> country?
>
> 6. Which European country held an election last week that apparently
> means the end of the incumbent right-wing populist government?

Poland

> 7. A social media company and a Canadian bank last week each
> announced that they would be laying off about 3% of their
> workforce. Coincidence? We assume so. But name either
> organization.
>
> 8. A 6-year-old boy named Adonis just released his own rap track
> and music video named "My Man Freestyle". At the risk of
> throwing shade on one of such tender years, the phrase "nepo
> baby" comes to mind. Who is his famous father?
>
> 9. Which country's supreme court declined last week to accept a
> petition to legalize same-sex marriage, opting to kick the
> matter over to the legislature?
>
> 10. Which Toronto condo mega-development just went into receivership
> at the request of its major lender? Give its name or street
> address.
>

> * Game 6 (2023-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Early last week China was accused of ramming two ships from
> what other country during an encounter in the South China Sea?

Philippines

> 2. Which Ontario MPP was censured in the legislature and kicked
> out of the NDP caucus for not retracting comments made after
> the Hamas attacks on Israel?
>
> 3. An off-duty pilot was charged with attempted murder last week
> for attempting to turn off the plane's engines in mid-air on
> a flight belonging to which airline?

Alaska Airlines

> 4. Also in airline news, Air Canada has apologized to a British
> MP on account of aggressive questioning before he boarded flights
> to and from this country, allegedly because of his first name,
> which is what?
>
> 5. Why was Prime Minister Katrín Jakobsdóttir on strike?
>
> 6. Who is the Alberta judge who was just selected by the prime
> minister to fill the vacant seat on the federal Supreme Court?
>
> 7. Which Canadian swimmer just won seven medals, including five
> golds, at this year's Pan Am games in Santiago, Chile?
>
> 8. Bobi, who at the time of his death held the record for the
> oldest dog ever, died recently in Portugal at what age?
> (Human years, please.)
>
> 9. Which actress not named Smith has just revealed that she and
> her husband have been living in Splitsville for the past 6 years?
>
> 10. He was "the cat who won't cop out when there's danger all
> about". Name the 81-year-old star of "Shaft" who died last week.

Roundtree

> * Game 7 (2023-11-06), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. What is the new minimum age in Ontario for non-high-risk patients
> to self-refer for a mammogram?
>
> 2. Treasury Board president Anita Anand announced this week that
> two software apps were banned for use on government devices on
> account of security concerns. Name *either* app.

TikTok

> 3. After being hired to restructure the company 10 years ago, but
> with the stock price considerably lower now than when he started,
> John Chen left the CEO job at which Canadian corporation
> last week?
>
> 4. Also in business news, the TSX had its best day in months last
> Thursday. How many points did the index gain that day, within
> 10% of the true number in either direction?
>
> 5. The Prime Minister recently appointed former BC premier John
> Horgan as ambassador to which country?
>
> 6. King Charles went to Africa last week for the first time
> as monarch. To which country did he pay a 4-day visit?

Kenya

> 7. Which well-known entertainer dropped in for a visit to the
> Montreal Canadiens dressing room last week when the team was
> in Las Vegas?
>
> 8. Name the new Beatles single that was released last week, using
> a vocal track recorded by John in the 1970s, guitar work by
> George from the 1990s, and later contributions by Paul and Ringo?

Now and Then

> 9. Which person's membership in the Order of Canada was terminated
> last week at their own request, following questions about their
> claims of Indigenous ancestry?
>
> 10. Which team went hitless through 6 innings, but eventually scored
> and went on to win the fifth and last game of the World Series
> last week, for the first championship in the franchise's
> 63-year history? (Place name or team name.)

Texas Rangers

> * Game 8 (2023-11-13), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In *which German city*'s airport did a hostage-taking situation
> end last week with the suspect under arrest and the hostage --
> his daughter -- rescued unharmed?
>
> 2. An explosion -- so far unexplained -- inside the compound of
> the Canadian High Commission in *which country* killed two
> people last week?
>
> 3. A fire last week in *which GTA municipality* destroyed a group
> of 40 townhouses under construction, as well as a fire-department
> ladder truck?
>
> 4. Three residents of the National Zoo in Washington, DC, left
> for good last week. What species do they belong to?

panda

> 5. A tour bus for *which Canadian singer* overturned in Saskatchewan
> last week, sending 13 people to hospital? The singer was not
> on board.
>
> 6. So-called off-year elections were held in several US states
> on Tuesday. In *which red state* did a referendum pass to add
> abortion rights to the state constitution?

Ohio

> 7. The SAG-AFTRA actors' strike ended last week after how many days,
> within 10% of the true number in either direction?
>
> 8. Which former US astronaut died last week at age 95? He flew
> on Gemini 7 and later commanded Apollo 8, the first manned
> flight to lunar orbit. (Or as they now want us to say, crude
> though it sounds, "crewed" flight.)
>
> 9. Music from which movie soundtrack just received eleven 2024
> Grammy nominations, including five for a single song by Billie
> Eilish?
>
> 10. Surgeons at New York University announced last week that they
> had performed the first-ever human transplant of which organ,
> as part of a larger procedure?

--
Dan Tilque

QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8 answers

<bPmdnaTkGti2OcX4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5763&group=rec.games.trivia#5763

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 5-8 answers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 11:46:51 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 11:46 UTC

Mark Brader:
> Oh sheesh. I prepared the current-events rounds from Games 5 and 6
> for posting two weeks ago, but never actually posted that set.

I figured out what happened. I prepared the rounds for posting here
before the original game was actually played, so I had to wait until
later to post them, and then I forgot I hadn't.
> Okay, I guess the simplest way to recover is to make a single
> posting with current-events rounds from *four* weeks...

Okay, here are the results.

> * Game 5 (2023-10-23), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Which Canadian tennis player won the singles championship at
> the 2023 Hong Kong Open, her first title win in 19 months?

Leylah Fernandez.

> 2. Two of Donald Trump's motley crew of lawyers pleaded guilty
> last week to charges related to meddling with the 2020
> presidential election results for the state of Georgia.
> Name either one.

Sidney Powell; Kenneth Chesebro ["CHEZ-bro"]. (But not Jenna Ellis,
who did it the following week.) 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Stephen.

> 3. Which movie recently took in an estimated $95-97 million (US
> dollars) at the box office in its opening weekend?

"Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour". (Accepting either part.) 4 for Joshua
and Stephen (the hard way).

> 4. Who is the actress who starred in "The Hustler", "Carrie", and
> "Twin Peaks", and died last week at age 91?

Piper Laurie. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 5. Which Latin American nation just elected as its new president
> Daniel Noboa, the 35-year-old son of the richest man in the
> country?

Ecuador. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 6. Which European country held an election last week that apparently
> means the end of the incumbent right-wing populist government?

Poland. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. A social media company and a Canadian bank last week each
> announced that they would be laying off about 3% of their
> workforce. Coincidence? We assume so. But name either
> organization.

LinkedIn, Bank of Nova Scotia (aka Scotiabank). 4 for Stephen
(the hard way).

> 8. A 6-year-old boy named Adonis just released his own rap track
> and music video named "My Man Freestyle". At the risk of
> throwing shade on one of such tender years, the phrase "nepo
> baby" comes to mind. Who is his famous father?

Drake (aka Aubrey Graham). 4 for Stephen.

> 9. Which country's supreme court declined last week to accept a
> petition to legalize same-sex marriage, opting to kick the
> matter over to the legislature?

India. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. Which Toronto condo mega-development just went into receivership
> at the request of its major lender? Give its name or street
> address.

The One, at 1 Bloor St. W. 3 for Stephen.

> * Game 6 (2023-10-30), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Early last week China was accused of ramming two ships from
> what other country during an encounter in the South China Sea?

The Philippines. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Which Ontario MPP was censured in the legislature and kicked
> out of the NDP caucus for not retracting comments made after
> the Hamas attacks on Israel?

Sarah Jama. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. An off-duty pilot was charged with attempted murder last week
> for attempting to turn off the plane's engines in mid-air on
> a flight belonging to which airline?

Alaska Airlines (or Horizon Air, which was operating the flight).
4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Also in airline news, Air Canada has apologized to a British
> MP on account of aggressive questioning before he boarded flights
> to and from this country, allegedly because of his first name,
> which is what?

Mohammad. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 5. Why was Prime Minister Katrín Jakobsdóttir on strike?

In solidarity with other Icelandic women protesting pay discrimination
and sexual violence (for one day). 4 for Stephen. 3 for Erland.

> 6. Who is the Alberta judge who was just selected by the prime
> minister to fill the vacant seat on the federal Supreme Court?

Mary Moreau. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. Which Canadian swimmer just won seven medals, including five
> golds, at this year's Pan Am games in Santiago, Chile?

Maggie MacNeil. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. Bobi, who at the time of his death held the record for the
> oldest dog ever, died recently in Portugal at what age?
> (Human years, please.)

31. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. Which actress not named Smith has just revealed that she and
> her husband have been living in Splitsville for the past 6 years?

Meryl Streep. (Husband Don Gummer.) 4 for Stephen.

> 10. He was "the cat who won't cop out when there's danger all
> about". Name the 81-year-old star of "Shaft" who died last week.

Richard Roundtree. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 7 (2023-11-06), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. What is the new minimum age in Ontario for non-high-risk patients
> to self-refer for a mammogram?

40. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Treasury Board president Anita Anand announced this week that
> two software apps were banned for use on government devices on
> account of security concerns. Name *either* app.

WeChat, Kaspersky.

> 3. After being hired to restructure the company 10 years ago, but
> with the stock price considerably lower now than when he started,
> John Chen left the CEO job at which Canadian corporation
> last week?

BlackBerry. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. Also in business news, the TSX had its best day in months last
> Thursday. How many points did the index gain that day, within
> 10% of the true number in either direction?

547.34 (accepting 492-603). 4 for Stephen.

> 5. The Prime Minister recently appointed former BC premier John
> Horgan as ambassador to which country?

Germany. 4 for Stephen.

> 6. King Charles went to Africa last week for the first time
> as monarch. To which country did he pay a 4-day visit?

Kenya. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Which well-known entertainer dropped in for a visit to the
> Montreal Canadiens dressing room last week when the team was
> in Las Vegas?

Céline Dion. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. Name the new Beatles single that was released last week, using
> a vocal track recorded by John in the 1970s, guitar work by
> George from the 1990s, and later contributions by Paul and Ringo?

"Now and Then". 4 for everyone.

> 9. Which person's membership in the Order of Canada was terminated
> last week at their own request, following questions about their
> claims of Indigenous ancestry?

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond.

> 10. Which team went hitless through 6 innings, but eventually scored
> and went on to win the fifth and last game of the World Series
> last week, for the first championship in the franchise's
> 63-year history? (Place name or team name.)

Texas Rangers. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 8 (2023-11-13), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. In *which German city*'s airport did a hostage-taking situation
> end last week with the suspect under arrest and the hostage --
> his daughter -- rescued unharmed?

Hamburg. 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 2. An explosion -- so far unexplained -- inside the compound of
> the Canadian High Commission in *which country* killed two
> people last week?

Nigeria. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. A fire last week in *which GTA municipality* destroyed a group
> of 40 townhouses under construction, as well as a fire-department
> ladder truck?

Vaughan.

> 4. Three residents of the National Zoo in Washington, DC, left
> for good last week. What species do they belong to?

Giant *panda* (aka panda bear). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> 5. A tour bus for *which Canadian singer* overturned in Saskatchewan
> last week, sending 13 people to hospital? The singer was not
> on board.

Shania Twain. 4 for Stephen.

> 6. So-called off-year elections were held in several US states
> on Tuesday. In *which red state* did a referendum pass to add
> abortion rights to the state constitution?

Ohio. 4 for everyone.

> 7. The SAG-AFTRA actors' strike ended last week after how many days,
> within 10% of the true number in either direction?

118 (accepting 106-130). 4 for Stephen.

> 8. Which former US astronaut died last week at age 95? He flew
> on Gemini 7 and later commanded Apollo 8, the first manned
> flight to lunar orbit. (Or as they now want us to say, crude
> though it sounds, "crewed" flight.)

Frank Borman. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 9. Music from which movie soundtrack just received eleven 2024
> Grammy nominations, including five for a single song by Billie
> Eilish?

Click here to read the complete article