You are a wish to be here wishing yourself. -- Philip Whalen

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: CanPols, HistFic

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: CanPols, HistFicMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: CanPols, HistFicDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: CanPols, HistFicJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: CanPols, HistFicDan Tilque
`- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanPols, HistFicMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: CanPols, HistFic

<PZKcnZvxccxP2cH4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5767&group=rec.games.trivia#5767

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: CanPols, HistFic
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 05:49:06 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 05:49 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - Mayors and Premiers

Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g5r2/lead.pdf

All of the people on the handout have been either Mayor of Toronto
or Premier of Ontario sometime in the last 60 years, although some
of the photos may not show them when they were in office.

For questions #1-6, we will give the photo letter and you must
name the person. You should cross them off the handout as we go.

1. K.
2. J.
3. G.
4. N.
5. H.
6. F.

The remaining questions, of course, go the other way: you must
give the letter.

7. Bob Rae.
8. Dalton McGuinty.
9. Mike Harris.
10. David Crombie.

And there were 10 decoys. If you like, for fun, but for no points,
decode the rot13 to see the photo letters and name each person.

11. V.
12. O.
13. N.
14. B.
15. C.
16. Z.
17. Y.
18. F.
19. Q.
20. D.

* Game 5, Round 3 - Literature - Historical Fiction

In every case, name the author.

1. To great acclaim, this British author's novel "I, Claudius",
about the ancient Roman emperor, was made into a BBC-TV
mini-series first broadcast in 1976. He spent a great deal of
his life living on the Spanish island of Majorca ["ma-YORK-a"]
and was also renowned as a poet and interpreter of ancient
Greek myths.

2. Famed for his historical romantic novels set in medieval England,
this author who lived 1771-1832 was already well regarded when
he published "Ivanhoe" in 1820. All told, he published dozens
of novels, short stories, and poems.

3. This British author died from a stroke in 2022. She won the
Booker Prize for her novel "Wolf Hall" in 2009, and again for its
sequel "Bring Up the Bodies" in 2012. Both novels, and a third,
"The Mirror and the Light", concern the machinations of Thomas
Cromwell, one of King Henry VIII's chief ministers.

4. Another female British author also penned a celebrated trilogy
of historical novels: "Regeneration", "The Eye in the Door", and
"The Ghost Road", the last winning the Booker Prize in 1995.
The novels follow the fortunes of shell-shocked British Army
officers during the later stages of World War I. They feature
many real-life people from the era, including the poets Siegfried
Sassoon and Wilfred Owen.

5. This Turkish author got into hot water for speaking about
his country's role in the Armenian genocide in 1915 and its mass
killings of Kurds. In 2005 his govenment laid criminal charges,
but these were later dropped, largely thanks to an international
brouhaha over the affair -- not to mention the Nobel Prize he
won in 2006. Although he writes about contemporary Turkey,
one of his most famous novels, "My Name is Red", from 1998,
is set in 16th-century Istanbul.

6. Like <answer 5>, this German writer wrote about many subjects
during his illustrious career. In 1929, he, too, won the Nobel
Prize in Literature, and again like Pamuk, got into trouble with
his government, forcing him to flee Germany in 1933. He often
wrote historical novels, the most famous being the four-part
"Joseph and His Brothers", published between 1926 and 1943,
which retells the biblical stories of Jacob and Joseph.

7. Popular fiction writers often delve into history for subject
matter. One of the biggest-selling contemporary authors
bases her novels in 18th-century Scottish history, spinning
fantasy tartan epics that include time travel. The first novel,
"Outlander", has given its name to the series and to a cultish
TV adaptation.

8. Set in New York City from 1902 until 1912, "Ragtime" is this US
author's most famous novel. Like many historical works of
fiction, it features real personalities as characters -- in
this case, Booker T. Washington, Harry Houdini, J.P. Morgan,
Henry Ford, Emma Goldman, Stanford White, Evelyn Nesbit, and
Harry K. Thaw, among many others.

9. Another author with a cycle of novels, in this case dubbed his
"Asian Saga", published six books in that series, including
early ventures such as "King Rat" and "Tai-Pan" in the 1960s.
In 1975 he released "Shogun", which tells the tale of an English
sailor who travels in 1600 to feudal Japan and becomes immersed
in that isolated country's culture.

10. This author, born in Wales, is known for writing spy thrillers,
but in 1989 he launched a series of historical novels with "The
Pillars of the Earth", set in medieval England and chronicling
the building of a cathedral in a small English village. So
successful was that book that he went on to four more historical
novels, now known as the "Kingsbridge" series. They take place
in various centuries, including the very recent "The Armour of
Light", set at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution.

--
Mark Brader "Thus the metric system did not really catch on
Toronto in the States, unless you count the increasing

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: CanPols, HistFic

<ujj9j6$o28$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5769&group=rec.games.trivia#5769

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: CanPols, HistFic
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 22:05:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 22:05 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Literature - Historical Fiction

> 1. To great acclaim, this British author's novel "I, Claudius",
> about the ancient Roman emperor, was made into a BBC-TV
> mini-series first broadcast in 1976. He spent a great deal of
> his life living on the Spanish island of Majorca ["ma-YORK-a"]
> and was also renowned as a poet and interpreter of ancient
> Greek myths.

Graves

> 2. Famed for his historical romantic novels set in medieval England,
> this author who lived 1771-1832 was already well regarded when
> he published "Ivanhoe" in 1820. All told, he published dozens
> of novels, short stories, and poems.

Scott

> 3. This British author died from a stroke in 2022. She won the
> Booker Prize for her novel "Wolf Hall" in 2009, and again for its
> sequel "Bring Up the Bodies" in 2012. Both novels, and a third,
> "The Mirror and the Light", concern the machinations of Thomas
> Cromwell, one of King Henry VIII's chief ministers.

Mantel

> 6. Like <answer 5>, this German writer wrote about many subjects
> during his illustrious career. In 1929, he, too, won the Nobel
> Prize in Literature, and again like Pamuk, got into trouble with
> his government, forcing him to flee Germany in 1933. He often
> wrote historical novels, the most famous being the four-part
> "Joseph and His Brothers", published between 1926 and 1943,
> which retells the biblical stories of Jacob and Joseph.

Grass; Hesse

> 7. Popular fiction writers often delve into history for subject
> matter. One of the biggest-selling contemporary authors
> bases her novels in 18th-century Scottish history, spinning
> fantasy tartan epics that include time travel. The first novel,
> "Outlander", has given its name to the series and to a cultish
> TV adaptation.

Gabaldon

> 8. Set in New York City from 1902 until 1912, "Ragtime" is this US
> author's most famous novel. Like many historical works of
> fiction, it features real personalities as characters -- in
> this case, Booker T. Washington, Harry Houdini, J.P. Morgan,
> Henry Ford, Emma Goldman, Stanford White, Evelyn Nesbit, and
> Harry K. Thaw, among many others.

Doctorow

> 9. Another author with a cycle of novels, in this case dubbed his
> "Asian Saga", published six books in that series, including
> early ventures such as "King Rat" and "Tai-Pan" in the 1960s.
> In 1975 he released "Shogun", which tells the tale of an English
> sailor who travels in 1600 to feudal Japan and becomes immersed
> in that isolated country's culture.

Clavell

> 10. This author, born in Wales, is known for writing spy thrillers,
> but in 1989 he launched a series of historical novels with "The
> Pillars of the Earth", set in medieval England and chronicling
> the building of a cathedral in a small English village. So
> successful was that book that he went on to four more historical
> novels, now known as the "Kingsbridge" series. They take place
> in various centuries, including the very recent "The Armour of
> Light", set at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution.

Follett

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: CanPols, HistFic

<d27a43de-47aa-4c21-99f5-0fef72309bfen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5770&group=rec.games.trivia#5770

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 17:10:00 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 01:10 UTC

On Monday, November 20, 2023 at 11:49:18 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - Mayors and Premiers
>
> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g5r2/lead.pdf
>
> And there were 10 decoys. If you like, for fun, but for no points,
> decode the rot13 to see the photo letters and name each person.
>
> 12. O.

Ford

> 13. N.

Ford
> * Game 5, Round 3 - Literature - Historical Fiction
>
> In every case, name the author.
>
> 1. To great acclaim, this British author's novel "I, Claudius",
> about the ancient Roman emperor, was made into a BBC-TV
> mini-series first broadcast in 1976. He spent a great deal of
> his life living on the Spanish island of Majorca ["ma-YORK-a"]
> and was also renowned as a poet and interpreter of ancient
> Greek myths.

Graves
> 2. Famed for his historical romantic novels set in medieval England,
> this author who lived 1771-1832 was already well regarded when
> he published "Ivanhoe" in 1820. All told, he published dozens
> of novels, short stories, and poems.

Scott

> 3. This British author died from a stroke in 2022. She won the
> Booker Prize for her novel "Wolf Hall" in 2009, and again for its
> sequel "Bring Up the Bodies" in 2012. Both novels, and a third,
> "The Mirror and the Light", concern the machinations of Thomas
> Cromwell, one of King Henry VIII's chief ministers.

Mantel

> 5. This Turkish author got into hot water for speaking about
> his country's role in the Armenian genocide in 1915 and its mass
> killings of Kurds. In 2005 his govenment laid criminal charges,
> but these were later dropped, largely thanks to an international
> brouhaha over the affair -- not to mention the Nobel Prize he
> won in 2006. Although he writes about contemporary Turkey,
> one of his most famous novels, "My Name is Red", from 1998,
> is set in 16th-century Istanbul.

Pamuk
> 6. Like <answer 5>, this German writer wrote about many subjects
> during his illustrious career. In 1929, he, too, won the Nobel
> Prize in Literature, and again like Pamuk, got into trouble with
> his government, forcing him to flee Germany in 1933. He often
> wrote historical novels, the most famous being the four-part
> "Joseph and His Brothers", published between 1926 and 1943,
> which retells the biblical stories of Jacob and Joseph.

Mann
> 8. Set in New York City from 1902 until 1912, "Ragtime" is this US
> author's most famous novel. Like many historical works of
> fiction, it features real personalities as characters -- in
> this case, Booker T. Washington, Harry Houdini, J.P. Morgan,
> Henry Ford, Emma Goldman, Stanford White, Evelyn Nesbit, and
> Harry K. Thaw, among many others.

Doctorow
> 9. Another author with a cycle of novels, in this case dubbed his
> "Asian Saga", published six books in that series, including
> early ventures such as "King Rat" and "Tai-Pan" in the 1960s.
> In 1975 he released "Shogun", which tells the tale of an English
> sailor who travels in 1600 to feudal Japan and becomes immersed
> in that isolated country's culture.

Clavell

> 10. This author, born in Wales, is known for writing spy thrillers,
> but in 1989 he launched a series of historical novels with "The
> Pillars of the Earth", set in medieval England and chronicling
> the building of a cathedral in a small English village. So
> successful was that book that he went on to four more historical
> novels, now known as the "Kingsbridge" series. They take place
> in various centuries, including the very recent "The Armour of
> Light", set at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution.

Follett

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: CanPols, HistFic

<ujkguf$1997v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5771&group=rec.games.trivia#5771

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 01:17:00 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 09:17 UTC

On 11/20/23 21:49, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - Mayors and Premiers
>
> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g5r2/lead.pdf
>
> All of the people on the handout have been either Mayor of Toronto
> or Premier of Ontario sometime in the last 60 years, although some
> of the photos may not show them when they were in office.
>
> For questions #1-6, we will give the photo letter and you must
> name the person. You should cross them off the handout as we go.
>
> 1. K.
> 2. J.
> 3. G.
> 4. N.
> 5. H.
> 6. F.
>
> The remaining questions, of course, go the other way: you must
> give the letter.
>
> 7. Bob Rae.
> 8. Dalton McGuinty.
> 9. Mike Harris.
> 10. David Crombie.
>
> And there were 10 decoys. If you like, for fun, but for no points,
> decode the rot13 to see the photo letters and name each person.
>
> 11. V.
> 12. O.
> 13. N.
> 14. B.
> 15. C.
> 16. Z.
> 17. Y.
> 18. F.
> 19. Q.
> 20. D.
>

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Literature - Historical Fiction
>
> In every case, name the author.
>
> 1. To great acclaim, this British author's novel "I, Claudius",
> about the ancient Roman emperor, was made into a BBC-TV
> mini-series first broadcast in 1976. He spent a great deal of
> his life living on the Spanish island of Majorca ["ma-YORK-a"]
> and was also renowned as a poet and interpreter of ancient
> Greek myths.
>
> 2. Famed for his historical romantic novels set in medieval England,
> this author who lived 1771-1832 was already well regarded when
> he published "Ivanhoe" in 1820. All told, he published dozens
> of novels, short stories, and poems.

Sir Walter Scott

> 3. This British author died from a stroke in 2022. She won the
> Booker Prize for her novel "Wolf Hall" in 2009, and again for its
> sequel "Bring Up the Bodies" in 2012. Both novels, and a third,
> "The Mirror and the Light", concern the machinations of Thomas
> Cromwell, one of King Henry VIII's chief ministers.
>
> 4. Another female British author also penned a celebrated trilogy
> of historical novels: "Regeneration", "The Eye in the Door", and
> "The Ghost Road", the last winning the Booker Prize in 1995.
> The novels follow the fortunes of shell-shocked British Army
> officers during the later stages of World War I. They feature
> many real-life people from the era, including the poets Siegfried
> Sassoon and Wilfred Owen.
>
> 5. This Turkish author got into hot water for speaking about
> his country's role in the Armenian genocide in 1915 and its mass
> killings of Kurds. In 2005 his govenment laid criminal charges,
> but these were later dropped, largely thanks to an international
> brouhaha over the affair -- not to mention the Nobel Prize he
> won in 2006. Although he writes about contemporary Turkey,
> one of his most famous novels, "My Name is Red", from 1998,
> is set in 16th-century Istanbul.
>
> 6. Like <answer 5>, this German writer wrote about many subjects
> during his illustrious career. In 1929, he, too, won the Nobel
> Prize in Literature, and again like Pamuk, got into trouble with
> his government, forcing him to flee Germany in 1933. He often
> wrote historical novels, the most famous being the four-part
> "Joseph and His Brothers", published between 1926 and 1943,
> which retells the biblical stories of Jacob and Joseph.
>
> 7. Popular fiction writers often delve into history for subject
> matter. One of the biggest-selling contemporary authors
> bases her novels in 18th-century Scottish history, spinning
> fantasy tartan epics that include time travel. The first novel,
> "Outlander", has given its name to the series and to a cultish
> TV adaptation.
>
> 8. Set in New York City from 1902 until 1912, "Ragtime" is this US
> author's most famous novel. Like many historical works of
> fiction, it features real personalities as characters -- in
> this case, Booker T. Washington, Harry Houdini, J.P. Morgan,
> Henry Ford, Emma Goldman, Stanford White, Evelyn Nesbit, and
> Harry K. Thaw, among many others.
>
> 9. Another author with a cycle of novels, in this case dubbed his
> "Asian Saga", published six books in that series, including
> early ventures such as "King Rat" and "Tai-Pan" in the 1960s.
> In 1975 he released "Shogun", which tells the tale of an English
> sailor who travels in 1600 to feudal Japan and becomes immersed
> in that isolated country's culture.

James Clavell

> 10. This author, born in Wales, is known for writing spy thrillers,
> but in 1989 he launched a series of historical novels with "The
> Pillars of the Earth", set in medieval England and chronicling
> the building of a cathedral in a small English village. So
> successful was that book that he went on to four more historical
> novels, now known as the "Kingsbridge" series. They take place
> in various centuries, including the very recent "The Armour of
> Light", set at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution.

--
Dan Tilque

QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanPols, HistFic

<P9icne_gkqxU1Pz4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5772&group=rec.games.trivia#5772

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanPols, HistFic
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 01:11:37 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 01:11 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-23,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The Canadiana round. You might remember that I used photo A-B
previously as part of a "Funny Famous Faces" round in Game 9 of
season QFTCI16, posted here in October 2016.

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - Mayors and Premiers

> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g5r2/lead.pdf

> All of the people on the handout have been either Mayor of Toronto
> or Premier of Ontario sometime in the last 60 years, although some
> of the photos may not show them when they were in office.

In the original game, this was the easiest round in the game and
second-easiest in the entire season. Here, nobody even tried any
questions, so this round never happened.

> For questions #1-6, we will give the photo letter and you must
> name the person. You should cross them off the handout as we go.

> 1. K.

June Rowlands.

> 2. J.

Kathleen Wynne.

> 3. G.

Bill Davis.

> 4. N.

Art Eggleton.

> 5. H.

John Sewell.

> 6. F.

John Robarts.

> The remaining questions, of course, go the other way: you must
> give the letter.

> 7. Bob Rae.

C.

> 8. Dalton McGuinty.

R.

> 9. Mike Harris.

T.

> 10. David Crombie.

E.

> And there were 10 decoys. If you like, for fun, but for no points,
> decode the rot13 to see the photo letters and name each person.

Joshua answered just "Ford" for both #12 and #13. Nobody else tried
any of them.

> 11. I.

Barbara Hall.

> 12. B.

Rob Ford.

> 13. A.

Doug Ford.

> 14. O.

Phil Givens.

> 15. P.

David Peterson.

> 16. M.

Ernie Eves.

> 17. L.

Olivia Chow.

> 18. F.

John Tory.

> 19. D.

David Miller.

> 20. Q.

Mel Lastman.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Literature - Historical Fiction

> In every case, name the author.

> 1. To great acclaim, this British author's novel "I, Claudius",
> about the ancient Roman emperor, was made into a BBC-TV
> mini-series first broadcast in 1976. He spent a great deal of
> his life living on the Spanish island of Majorca ["ma-YORK-a"]
> and was also renowned as a poet and interpreter of ancient
> Greek myths.

Robert Graves. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 2. Famed for his historical romantic novels set in medieval England,
> this author who lived 1771-1832 was already well regarded when
> he published "Ivanhoe" in 1820. All told, he published dozens
> of novels, short stories, and poems.

Walter Scott. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. This British author died from a stroke in 2022. She won the
> Booker Prize for her novel "Wolf Hall" in 2009, and again for its
> sequel "Bring Up the Bodies" in 2012. Both novels, and a third,
> "The Mirror and the Light", concern the machinations of Thomas
> Cromwell, one of King Henry VIII's chief ministers.

Hilary Mantel. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 4. Another female British author also penned a celebrated trilogy
> of historical novels: "Regeneration", "The Eye in the Door", and
> "The Ghost Road", the last winning the Booker Prize in 1995.
> The novels follow the fortunes of shell-shocked British Army
> officers during the later stages of World War I. They feature
> many real-life people from the era, including the poets Siegfried
> Sassoon and Wilfred Owen.

Pat Barker.

> 5. This Turkish author got into hot water for speaking about
> his country's role in the Armenian genocide in 1915 and its mass
> killings of Kurds. In 2005 his govenment laid criminal charges,
> but these were later dropped, largely thanks to an international
> brouhaha over the affair -- not to mention the Nobel Prize he
> won in 2006. Although he writes about contemporary Turkey,
> one of his most famous novels, "My Name is Red", from 1998,
> is set in 16th-century Istanbul.

Orhan Pamuk. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. Like <answer 5>, this German writer wrote about many subjects
> during his illustrious career. In 1929, he, too, won the Nobel
> Prize in Literature, and again like Pamuk, got into trouble with
> his government, forcing him to flee Germany in 1933. He often
> wrote historical novels, the most famous being the four-part
> "Joseph and His Brothers", published between 1926 and 1943,
> which retells the biblical stories of Jacob and Joseph.

Thomas Mann. 4 for Joshua.

> 7. Popular fiction writers often delve into history for subject
> matter. One of the biggest-selling contemporary authors
> bases her novels in 18th-century Scottish history, spinning
> fantasy tartan epics that include time travel. The first novel,
> "Outlander", has given its name to the series and to a cultish
> TV adaptation.

Diana Gabaldon. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. Set in New York City from 1902 until 1912, "Ragtime" is this US
> author's most famous novel. Like many historical works of
> fiction, it features real personalities as characters -- in
> this case, Booker T. Washington, Harry Houdini, J.P. Morgan,
> Henry Ford, Emma Goldman, Stanford White, Evelyn Nesbit, and
> Harry K. Thaw, among many others.

E.L. Doctorow. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Another author with a cycle of novels, in this case dubbed his
> "Asian Saga", published six books in that series, including
> early ventures such as "King Rat" and "Tai-Pan" in the 1960s.
> In 1975 he released "Shogun", which tells the tale of an English
> sailor who travels in 1600 to feudal Japan and becomes immersed
> in that isolated country's culture.

James Clavell. 4 for everyone.

> 10. This author, born in Wales, is known for writing spy thrillers,
> but in 1989 he launched a series of historical novels with "The
> Pillars of the Earth", set in medieval England and chronicling
> the building of a cathedral in a small English village. So
> successful was that book that he went on to four more historical
> novels, now known as the "Kingsbridge" series. They take place
> in various centuries, including the very recent "The Armour of
> Light", set at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution.

Ken Follett. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32
Dan Blum 28 28
Dan Tilque 8 8

--
Mark Brader "I am taking what you write in the spirit in
Toronto which it is intended. That's the problem."