Let not the sands of time get in your lunch.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6 answers: plates, inaugurals, unrelated

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelatedMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelatedDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelatedErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelatedJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelatedDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelatedswp
`* QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6 answers: plates, inaugurals, unrelatedMark Brader
 `- QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6 answers: plates, inaugurals, unrelatedMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelated

<0sScneer66p3eKD4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5699&group=rec.games.trivia#5699

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelated
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 04:56:10 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 04:56 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote two of these rounds.

* Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates

We've had beers and bears, so now how about a round on bores? Well,
maybe that would be too boring.

So instead, please see the handout:

http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g3r4/plat.pdf

and simply identify each US state from the plate and the slogan.

I've sorted the round in order by the handout. There were two
decoys, which are now interspersed with the questions: answer them
if you like for fun, but for no points.

1 (decoy). The Last Frontier.
2. Live Free or Die.
3. Great Faces, Great Places
4. Wild, Wonderful.
5. The Natural State.
6. Ocean State.
7 (decoy). First in Flight.
8. The First State.
9. Land of Enchantment.
10. Life Elevated.
11. Constitution State.
12. Native America.

* Game 3, Round 5 - Audio - The Inaugural Address

Yes, it's an audio round without the audio. In the original game,
of course, a clip of the speech was played. Here you will have
a transcript of each clip.

The last round was US states, and this one is US presidents.
On each question, name the president who is speaking at his
inauguration after being newly elected. For fun, you may also
mention the year of the speech, but it's not part of your answer.
If two presidents have had the same surname, you must disambiguate
appropriately.

1. "We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness
invite challenge. We will confront weapons of mass destruction,
so that a new century is spared new horrors. The enemies
of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America
remains engaged in the world, by history and by choice, shaping
a balance of power that favors freedom."

2. "Through a crucible for the ages America has been tested anew,
and America has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate
the triumph not of a candidate, but of a cause, the cause of
democracy. The people -- the will of the people has been heard,
and the will of the people has been heeded. We've learned again
that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile. At this
hour, my friends, democracy has prevailed."

3. "There is no longer a clear division between what is foreign
and what is domestic. The world economy, the world environment,
the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect us all.
Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free
but less stable. Communism's collapse has called forth old
animosities and new dangers. Clearly, America must continue
to lead the world we did so much to make."

4. "But we have no promise from God that our greatness will endure.
We have been allowed by Him to seek greatness with the sweat
of our hands and the strength of our spirit. I do not believe
that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless, and sterile
battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming -- always
becoming..."

5. "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not
a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and
Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and
culture, drawn from every end of this Earth. And because we have
tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation and emerged
from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help
but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass..."

6. "This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole
truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly
facing conditions in our country today. This great nation
will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.
So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only
thing we have to fear is -- fear itself."

7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."

8. "The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several
decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but
they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans
have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever
needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion
of freedom. In this present crisis, government is not the
solution to our problem; government is the problem."

9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
transfer of power..."

10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
States. And to that oath I now add this sacred commitment:
I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
message be heard by strong and weak alike..."

* Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Not Related To

For each question we will describe two celebrities, mostly actors
and actresses, who go by the same surname. It may or may not be
their real name, but in any case, they are not related. We will
always describe them in alphabetical order by first name, not that
we expect that to help you.

You must give *both their first names and their shared surname*,
like "Chris and Lyndon Johnson", but you don't have to name them
in order.

1. Her songs include "California Gurls" and "I Kissed a Girl".
He's best known for a sitcom that ran from 1994 to 2004.
To repeat, they aren't related but have the same surname;
name both.

2. The woman has appeared in 8 movies where Woody Allen either
starred or directed. The man's been in a number of superhero
movies, and he was nominated -- but didn't win -- for Best
Actor in the movie that did win Best Picture for 2014.

3. One woman is known for falling in love with a vampire; the other
publishes a magazine named after her, and has hosted two TV shows
named after her, one before and one after her prison sentence.

4. One woman starred in a Hitchcock movie where she's killed in
the first half; the other starred in, and won Best Actress for,
the Best Picture winner for 1939.

5. She was "Unfaithful Under the Tuscan Sun" -- no, wait, those
were two of her movies. He's starred in "The Producers" both
on stage (winning a Tony) and on screen.

6. These two women have 5 Best Actress Oscars between them.

7. He won an Oscar for "Training Day"; she won a TV Guide Fan
Favorite Award for "Scandal".

8. The first woman starred in "A Few Good Men", and met some bad
men in "Disclosure" and "Indecent Proposal". The second one sang
"I Wanna Be with You in My Pocket, Have a Little Faith in Me"
-- oh, sorry, those were three separate titles.

9. He played himself as the title character of a sitcom, and
currently hosts a long-running game show; she sang "All I Want
for Christmas is You", and many other songs.

10. The first man starred as a secret agent on the original "I Spy";
the second one had a recurring role as a secret agent on "JAG".

--
Mark Brader | "And I won't like [this usage] any better if you
Toronto | produce examples from Shakespeare, Milton, Johnson ...

Re: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelated

<uhkv0c$3omo5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5700&group=rec.games.trivia#5700

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 23:44:25 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 06:44 UTC

On 10/28/23 21:56, Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote two of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates
>
> We've had beers and bears, so now how about a round on bores? Well,
> maybe that would be too boring.
>
> So instead, please see the handout:
>
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g3r4/plat.pdf
>
> and simply identify each US state from the plate and the slogan.
>
> I've sorted the round in order by the handout. There were two
> decoys, which are now interspersed with the questions: answer them
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1 (decoy). The Last Frontier.

Alaska

> 2. Live Free or Die.

New Hampshire

> 3. Great Faces, Great Places

South Dakota

> 4. Wild, Wonderful.

West Virginia
> 5. The Natural State.

Arkansas

> 6. Ocean State.

Rhode Island

> 7 (decoy). First in Flight.

North Carolina

> 8. The First State.

Delaware

> 9. Land of Enchantment.

New Mexico

> 10. Life Elevated.

Utah

> 11. Constitution State.

Connecticut

> 12. Native America.

Oklahoma

> * Game 3, Round 5 - Audio - The Inaugural Address
>
> Yes, it's an audio round without the audio. In the original game,
> of course, a clip of the speech was played. Here you will have
> a transcript of each clip.
>
> The last round was US states, and this one is US presidents.
> On each question, name the president who is speaking at his
> inauguration after being newly elected. For fun, you may also
> mention the year of the speech, but it's not part of your answer.
> If two presidents have had the same surname, you must disambiguate
> appropriately.
>
> 1. "We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness
> invite challenge. We will confront weapons of mass destruction,
> so that a new century is spared new horrors. The enemies
> of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America
> remains engaged in the world, by history and by choice, shaping
> a balance of power that favors freedom."

Obama

> 2. "Through a crucible for the ages America has been tested anew,
> and America has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate
> the triumph not of a candidate, but of a cause, the cause of
> democracy. The people -- the will of the people has been heard,
> and the will of the people has been heeded. We've learned again
> that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile. At this
> hour, my friends, democracy has prevailed."

Biden

> 3. "There is no longer a clear division between what is foreign
> and what is domestic. The world economy, the world environment,
> the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect us all.
> Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free
> but less stable. Communism's collapse has called forth old
> animosities and new dangers. Clearly, America must continue
> to lead the world we did so much to make."

Clinton

> 4. "But we have no promise from God that our greatness will endure.
> We have been allowed by Him to seek greatness with the sweat
> of our hands and the strength of our spirit. I do not believe
> that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless, and sterile
> battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming -- always
> becoming..."

Lyndon Johnson

> 5. "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not
> a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and
> Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and
> culture, drawn from every end of this Earth. And because we have
> tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation and emerged
> from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help
> but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass..."

G W Bush

> 6. "This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole
> truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly
> facing conditions in our country today. This great nation
> will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.
> So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only
> thing we have to fear is -- fear itself."

Franklin Roosevelt

> 7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
> rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
> racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
> hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
> on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
> sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
> out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."

Kennedy

> 8. "The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several
> decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but
> they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans
> have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever
> needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion
> of freedom. In this present crisis, government is not the
> solution to our problem; government is the problem."

Reagan

> 9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
> for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
> confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
> we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
> transfer of power..."
>
> 10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
> countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
> States. And to that oath I now add this sacred commitment:
> I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
> I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
> message be heard by strong and weak alike..."

Truman

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Not Related To
>
> For each question we will describe two celebrities, mostly actors
> and actresses, who go by the same surname. It may or may not be
> their real name, but in any case, they are not related. We will
> always describe them in alphabetical order by first name, not that
> we expect that to help you.
>
> You must give *both their first names and their shared surname*,
> like "Chris and Lyndon Johnson", but you don't have to name them
> in order.
>
> 1. Her songs include "California Gurls" and "I Kissed a Girl".
> He's best known for a sitcom that ran from 1994 to 2004.
> To repeat, they aren't related but have the same surname;
> name both.
>
> 2. The woman has appeared in 8 movies where Woody Allen either
> starred or directed. The man's been in a number of superhero
> movies, and he was nominated -- but didn't win -- for Best
> Actor in the movie that did win Best Picture for 2014.

Keaton, Diane and Michael

> 3. One woman is known for falling in love with a vampire; the other
> publishes a magazine named after her, and has hosted two TV shows
> named after her, one before and one after her prison sentence.
>
> 4. One woman starred in a Hitchcock movie where she's killed in
> the first half; the other starred in, and won Best Actress for,
> the Best Picture winner for 1939.
>
> 5. She was "Unfaithful Under the Tuscan Sun" -- no, wait, those
> were two of her movies. He's starred in "The Producers" both
> on stage (winning a Tony) and on screen.
>
> 6. These two women have 5 Best Actress Oscars between them.

Hepburn, Katherine and Audrey

> 7. He won an Oscar for "Training Day"; she won a TV Guide Fan
> Favorite Award for "Scandal".
>
> 8. The first woman starred in "A Few Good Men", and met some bad
> men in "Disclosure" and "Indecent Proposal". The second one sang
> "I Wanna Be with You in My Pocket, Have a Little Faith in Me"
> -- oh, sorry, those were three separate titles.
>
> 9. He played himself as the title character of a sitcom, and
> currently hosts a long-running game show; she sang "All I Want
> for Christmas is You", and many other songs.
>
> 10. The first man starred as a secret agent on the original "I Spy";
> the second one had a recurring role as a secret agent on "JAG".

Click here to read the complete article
Re: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelated

<XnsB0AC79A12EF70Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5701&group=rec.games.trivia#5701

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 11:57:23 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 10:57 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates
>
> We've had beers and bears, so now how about a round on bores? Well,
> maybe that would be too boring.
>
> So instead, please see the handout:
>
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g3r4/plat.pdf
>
> and simply identify each US state from the plate and the slogan.
>
> I've sorted the round in order by the handout. There were two
> decoys, which are now interspersed with the questions: answer them
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 2. Live Free or Die.

Alabama

> 3. Great Faces, Great Places

South Dakota

> 4. Wild, Wonderful.

Montona

> 5. The Natural State.

Idaho

> 6. Ocean State.

Virginia

> 7 (decoy). First in Flight.

North Carolina

> 8. The First State.

Vermont

> 9. Land of Enchantment.

Indiana

> 10. Life Elevated.

Colorado

> 11. Constitution State.

Pennsylvania

> 12. Native America.

North Dakota

> * Game 3, Round 5 - Audio - The Inaugural Address
>
> 1. "We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness
> invite challenge. We will confront weapons of mass destruction,
> so that a new century is spared new horrors. The enemies
> of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America
> remains engaged in the world, by history and by choice, shaping
> a balance of power that favors freedom."

Thedore Roosevelt
> 2. "Through a crucible for the ages America has been tested anew,
> and America has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate
> the triumph not of a candidate, but of a cause, the cause of
> democracy. The people -- the will of the people has been heard,
> and the will of the people has been heeded. We've learned again
> that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile. At this
> hour, my friends, democracy has prevailed."

Joe Biden
> 3. "There is no longer a clear division between what is foreign
> and what is domestic. The world economy, the world environment,
> the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect us all.
> Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free
> but less stable. Communism's collapse has called forth old
> animosities and new dangers. Clearly, America must continue
> to lead the world we did so much to make."

Bill Clinton

> 4. "But we have no promise from God that our greatness will endure.
> We have been allowed by Him to seek greatness with the sweat
> of our hands and the strength of our spirit. I do not believe
> that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless, and sterile
> battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming -- always
> becoming..."

Harry Truman
> 5. "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not
> a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and
> Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and
> culture, drawn from every end of this Earth. And because we have
> tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation and emerged
> from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help
> but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass..."

Barack Obama

> 6. "This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole
> truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly
> facing conditions in our country today. This great nation
> will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.
> So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only
> thing we have to fear is -- fear itself."

Franklin D Roosevelt

> 7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
> rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
> racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
> hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
> on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
> sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
> out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."

John F Kennedy
> 8. "The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several
> decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but
> they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans
> have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever
> needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion
> of freedom. In this present crisis, government is not the
> solution to our problem; government is the problem."

Eisenhower
> 9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
> for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
> confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
> we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
> transfer of power..."

Nixon
> 10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
> countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
> States. And to that oath I now add this sacred commitment:
> I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
> I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
> message be heard by strong and weak alike..."

Trump

Re: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelated

<827d3b8d-a5b4-47d4-9e99-f2ce0336a195n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5703&group=rec.games.trivia#5703

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 09:31:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:31 UTC

On Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 11:56:22 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates
>
> So instead, please see the handout:
>
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g3r4/plat.pdf
>
> and simply identify each US state from the plate and the slogan.
>
> 1 (decoy). The Last Frontier.

Alaska

> 2. Live Free or Die.

New Hampshire
> 3. Great Faces, Great Places

South Dakota

> 4. Wild, Wonderful.

West Virginia

> 5. The Natural State.

Arkansas
> 6. Ocean State.

Maryland

> 7 (decoy). First in Flight.

North Carolina

> 8. The First State.

Delaware

> 9. Land of Enchantment.

New Mexico

> 10. Life Elevated.

Utah

> 11. Constitution State.

Connecticut

> 12. Native America.

North Dakota; Oklahoma

> * Game 3, Round 5 - Audio - The Inaugural Address
>
> Yes, it's an audio round without the audio. In the original game,
> of course, a clip of the speech was played. Here you will have
> a transcript of each clip.
>
> The last round was US states, and this one is US presidents.
> On each question, name the president who is speaking at his
> inauguration after being newly elected. For fun, you may also
> mention the year of the speech, but it's not part of your answer.
> If two presidents have had the same surname, you must disambiguate
> appropriately.
>
> 1. "We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness
> invite challenge. We will confront weapons of mass destruction,
> so that a new century is spared new horrors. The enemies
> of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America
> remains engaged in the world, by history and by choice, shaping
> a balance of power that favors freedom."

Donald Trump

> 2. "Through a crucible for the ages America has been tested anew,
> and America has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate
> the triumph not of a candidate, but of a cause, the cause of
> democracy. The people -- the will of the people has been heard,
> and the will of the people has been heeded. We've learned again
> that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile. At this
> hour, my friends, democracy has prevailed."

Joe Biden

> 3. "There is no longer a clear division between what is foreign
> and what is domestic. The world economy, the world environment,
> the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect us all.
> Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free
> but less stable. Communism's collapse has called forth old
> animosities and new dangers. Clearly, America must continue
> to lead the world we did so much to make."

Bill Clinton

> 4. "But we have no promise from God that our greatness will endure.
> We have been allowed by Him to seek greatness with the sweat
> of our hands and the strength of our spirit. I do not believe
> that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless, and sterile
> battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming -- always
> becoming..."

Lyndon Johnson

> 5. "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not
> a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and
> Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and
> culture, drawn from every end of this Earth. And because we have
> tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation and emerged
> from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help
> but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass..."

Barack Obama

> 6. "This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole
> truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly
> facing conditions in our country today. This great nation
> will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.
> So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only
> thing we have to fear is -- fear itself."

Franklin Roosevelt

> 7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
> rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
> racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
> hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
> on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
> sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
> out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."

Dwight Eisenhower

> 8. "The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several
> decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but
> they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans
> have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever
> needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion
> of freedom. In this present crisis, government is not the
> solution to our problem; government is the problem."

Ronald Reagan

> 9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
> for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
> confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
> we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
> transfer of power..."

John Kennedy; Richard Nixon

> 10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
> countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
> States. And to that oath I now add this sacred commitment:
> I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
> I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
> message be heard by strong and weak alike..."

Richard Nixon; John Kennedy

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Not Related To
>
> For each question we will describe two celebrities, mostly actors
> and actresses, who go by the same surname. It may or may not be
> their real name, but in any case, they are not related.
>
> You must give *both their first names and their shared surname*,
> like "Chris and Lyndon Johnson", but you don't have to name them
> in order.
>
> 1. Her songs include "California Gurls" and "I Kissed a Girl".
> He's best known for a sitcom that ran from 1994 to 2004.
> To repeat, they aren't related but have the same surname;
> name both.

Katy and Matthew Perry

> 2. The woman has appeared in 8 movies where Woody Allen either
> starred or directed. The man's been in a number of superhero
> movies, and he was nominated -- but didn't win -- for Best
> Actor in the movie that did win Best Picture for 2014.

Diane and Michael Keaton

> 3. One woman is known for falling in love with a vampire; the other
> publishes a magazine named after her, and has hosted two TV shows
> named after her, one before and one after her prison sentence.

Kristen and Martha Stewart
(I would have changed the last two references to "her" to "herself")

> 4. One woman starred in a Hitchcock movie where she's killed in
> the first half; the other starred in, and won Best Actress for,
> the Best Picture winner for 1939.

Janet and Vivien Leigh

> 5. She was "Unfaithful Under the Tuscan Sun" -- no, wait, those
> were two of her movies. He's starred in "The Producers" both
> on stage (winning a Tony) and on screen.

Diane and Nathan Lane

> 6. These two women have 5 Best Actress Oscars between them.

Audrey and Katharine Hepburn

> 7. He won an Oscar for "Training Day"; she won a TV Guide Fan
> Favorite Award for "Scandal".

Denzel and Kerry Washington

> 8. The first woman starred in "A Few Good Men", and met some bad
> men in "Disclosure" and "Indecent Proposal". The second one sang
> "I Wanna Be with You in My Pocket, Have a Little Faith in Me"
> -- oh, sorry, those were three separate titles.

Demi and Mandy Moore

> 9. He played himself as the title character of a sitcom, and
> currently hosts a long-running game show; she sang "All I Want
> for Christmas is You", and many other songs.

Drew and Mariah Carey

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelated

<uhn94a$qs7$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5704&group=rec.games.trivia#5704

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 03:49:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 03:49 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates

> 2. Live Free or Die.

New Hampshire

> 3. Great Faces, Great Places

South Dakota

> 4. Wild, Wonderful.

Colorado; Montana

> 5. The Natural State.

Idaho

> 6. Ocean State.

Rhode Island

> 8. The First State.

Delaware

> 9. Land of Enchantment.

New Mexico

> 10. Life Elevated.

Utah

> 11. Constitution State.

Connecticut

> 12. Native America.

Hawaii

> * Game 3, Round 5 - Audio - The Inaugural Address

> 1. "We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness
> invite challenge. We will confront weapons of mass destruction,
> so that a new century is spared new horrors. The enemies
> of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America
> remains engaged in the world, by history and by choice, shaping
> a balance of power that favors freedom."

George W. Bush; Obama

> 2. "Through a crucible for the ages America has been tested anew,
> and America has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate
> the triumph not of a candidate, but of a cause, the cause of
> democracy. The people -- the will of the people has been heard,
> and the will of the people has been heeded. We've learned again
> that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile. At this
> hour, my friends, democracy has prevailed."

Biden

> 3. "There is no longer a clear division between what is foreign
> and what is domestic. The world economy, the world environment,
> the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect us all.
> Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free
> but less stable. Communism's collapse has called forth old
> animosities and new dangers. Clearly, America must continue
> to lead the world we did so much to make."

Clinton

> 4. "But we have no promise from God that our greatness will endure.
> We have been allowed by Him to seek greatness with the sweat
> of our hands and the strength of our spirit. I do not believe
> that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless, and sterile
> battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming -- always
> becoming..."

Lyndon Johnson

> 5. "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not
> a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and
> Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and
> culture, drawn from every end of this Earth. And because we have
> tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation and emerged
> from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help
> but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass..."

Obama

> 6. "This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole
> truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly
> facing conditions in our country today. This great nation
> will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.
> So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only
> thing we have to fear is -- fear itself."

Franklin Roosevelt

> 7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
> rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
> racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
> hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
> on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
> sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
> out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."

George H. W. Bush

> 8. "The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several
> decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but
> they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans
> have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever
> needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion
> of freedom. In this present crisis, government is not the
> solution to our problem; government is the problem."

Reagan

> 9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
> for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
> confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
> we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
> transfer of power..."

Hoover

> 10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
> countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
> States. And to that oath I now add this sacred commitment:
> I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
> I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
> message be heard by strong and weak alike..."

Carter; Truman

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Not Related To

> 1. Her songs include "California Gurls" and "I Kissed a Girl".
> He's best known for a sitcom that ran from 1994 to 2004.
> To repeat, they aren't related but have the same surname;
> name both.

Katy and Matthew Perry

> 2. The woman has appeared in 8 movies where Woody Allen either
> starred or directed. The man's been in a number of superhero
> movies, and he was nominated -- but didn't win -- for Best
> Actor in the movie that did win Best Picture for 2014.

Diane and Michael Keaton

> 3. One woman is known for falling in love with a vampire; the other
> publishes a magazine named after her, and has hosted two TV shows
> named after her, one before and one after her prison sentence.

Kristin and Martha Stewart

> 4. One woman starred in a Hitchcock movie where she's killed in
> the first half; the other starred in, and won Best Actress for,
> the Best Picture winner for 1939.

Janet and Vivien Leigh

> 5. She was "Unfaithful Under the Tuscan Sun" -- no, wait, those
> were two of her movies. He's starred in "The Producers" both
> on stage (winning a Tony) and on screen.

Diane and Nathan Lane

> 6. These two women have 5 Best Actress Oscars between them.

Katherine and Audrey Hepburn

> 7. He won an Oscar for "Training Day"; she won a TV Guide Fan
> Favorite Award for "Scandal".

Denzel and Kerry Washington

> 9. He played himself as the title character of a sitcom, and
> currently hosts a long-running game show; she sang "All I Want
> for Christmas is You", and many other songs.

Drew and Mariah Carey

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6: plates, inaugurals, unrelated

<685ceb72-ed2c-4f78-a897-dcd8b3cb97fen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5705&group=rec.games.trivia#5705

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 05:10:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 12:10 UTC

On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 12:56:22 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-02,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote two of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates
>
> We've had beers and bears, so now how about a round on bores? Well,
> maybe that would be too boring.
>
> So instead, please see the handout:
>
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g3r4/plat.pdf
>
> and simply identify each US state from the plate and the slogan.
>
> I've sorted the round in order by the handout. There were two
> decoys, which are now interspersed with the questions: answer them
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1 (decoy). The Last Frontier.

alaska

> 2. Live Free or Die.

new hampshire

> 3. Great Faces, Great Places

south dakota

> 4. Wild, Wonderful.

west virginia

> 5. The Natural State.

arkansas

> 6. Ocean State.

rhode island

> 7 (decoy). First in Flight.

north carolina

> 8. The First State.

delaware

> 9. Land of Enchantment.

new mexico

> 10. Life Elevated.

utah

> 11. Constitution State.

connecticut

> 12. Native America.

oklahoma

> * Game 3, Round 5 - Audio - The Inaugural Address
>
> Yes, it's an audio round without the audio. In the original game,
> of course, a clip of the speech was played. Here you will have
> a transcript of each clip.
>
> The last round was US states, and this one is US presidents.
> On each question, name the president who is speaking at his
> inauguration after being newly elected. For fun, you may also
> mention the year of the speech, but it's not part of your answer.
> If two presidents have had the same surname, you must disambiguate
> appropriately.
>
> 1. "We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness
> invite challenge. We will confront weapons of mass destruction,
> so that a new century is spared new horrors. The enemies
> of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America
> remains engaged in the world, by history and by choice, shaping
> a balance of power that favors freedom."

george w bush

> 2. "Through a crucible for the ages America has been tested anew,
> and America has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate
> the triumph not of a candidate, but of a cause, the cause of
> democracy. The people -- the will of the people has been heard,
> and the will of the people has been heeded. We've learned again
> that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile. At this
> hour, my friends, democracy has prevailed."

joe biden

> 3. "There is no longer a clear division between what is foreign
> and what is domestic. The world economy, the world environment,
> the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect us all.
> Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free
> but less stable. Communism's collapse has called forth old
> animosities and new dangers. Clearly, America must continue
> to lead the world we did so much to make."

bill clinton

> 4. "But we have no promise from God that our greatness will endure.
> We have been allowed by Him to seek greatness with the sweat
> of our hands and the strength of our spirit. I do not believe
> that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless, and sterile
> battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming -- always
> becoming..."

lyndon johnson

> 5. "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not
> a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and
> Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and
> culture, drawn from every end of this Earth. And because we have
> tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation and emerged
> from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help
> but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass..."

obama

> 6. "This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole
> truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly
> facing conditions in our country today. This great nation
> will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.
> So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only
> thing we have to fear is -- fear itself."

franklin roosevelt

> 7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
> rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
> racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
> hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
> on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
> sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
> out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."

john kennedy

> 8. "The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several
> decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but
> they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans
> have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever
> needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion
> of freedom. In this present crisis, government is not the
> solution to our problem; government is the problem."

Ronald Reagan

> 9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
> for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
> confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
> we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
> transfer of power..."

donald trump

> 10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
> countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
> States. And to that oath I now add this sacred commitment:
> I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
> I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
> message be heard by strong and weak alike..."

richard nixon

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Not Related To
>
> For each question we will describe two celebrities, mostly actors
> and actresses, who go by the same surname. It may or may not be
> their real name, but in any case, they are not related. We will
> always describe them in alphabetical order by first name, not that
> we expect that to help you.
>
> You must give *both their first names and their shared surname*,
> like "Chris and Lyndon Johnson", but you don't have to name them
> in order.
>
> 1. Her songs include "California Gurls" and "I Kissed a Girl".
> He's best known for a sitcom that ran from 1994 to 2004.
> To repeat, they aren't related but have the same surname;
> name both.

katy and matthew perry [bad timing]

> 2. The woman has appeared in 8 movies where Woody Allen either
> starred or directed. The man's been in a number of superhero
> movies, and he was nominated -- but didn't win -- for Best
> Actor in the movie that did win Best Picture for 2014.

diane and michael keaton

> 3. One woman is known for falling in love with a vampire; the other
> publishes a magazine named after her, and has hosted two TV shows
> named after her, one before and one after her prison sentence.

kristin and martha stewart

> 4. One woman starred in a Hitchcock movie where she's killed in
> the first half; the other starred in, and won Best Actress for,
> the Best Picture winner for 1939.

janet and vivian leigh

> 5. She was "Unfaithful Under the Tuscan Sun" -- no, wait, those
> were two of her movies. He's starred in "The Producers" both
> on stage (winning a Tony) and on screen.

diane and nathan lane

Click here to read the complete article
QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6 answers: plates, inaugurals, unrelated

<iYWdnTqtnOI_8t_4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5708&group=rec.games.trivia#5708

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6 answers: plates, inaugurals, unrelated
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2023 15:32:50 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 15:32 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-02,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote two of these rounds.

The audio round and the entertainment round.

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - US State License Plates

> We've had beers and bears, so now how about a round on bores? Well,
> maybe that would be too boring.

After adding that passage to the preamble, it occurred to me that
a round on tunnels would have been a perfectly reasonable idea,
but at that point it was too late to actually do it. Oh well.

> So instead, please see the handout:

> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g3r4/plat.pdf

> and simply identify each US state from the plate and the slogan.

> I've sorted the round in order by the handout. There were two
> decoys, which are now interspersed with the questions: answer them
> if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1 (decoy). The Last Frontier.

Alaska. Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Stephen got this.

> 2. Live Free or Die.

New Hampshire. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 3. Great Faces, Great Places

South Dakota. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> 4. Wild, Wonderful.

West Virginia. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 5. The Natural State.

Arkansas. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Stephen.

Note the diamond in the background. Arkansas has a state park where
visitors are allowed to search for and keep any minerals they can
find and remove (without power tools), including diamonds. See:
http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/crater-diamonds-state-park/digging-for-diamonds

> 6. Ocean State.

Rhode Island. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 7 (decoy). First in Flight.

North Carolina. Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, and Stephen got this.

> 8. The First State.

Delaware. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 9. Land of Enchantment.

New Mexico. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 10. Life Elevated.

Utah. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 11. Constitution State.

Connecticut. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 12. Native America.

Oklahoma. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen. 2 for Joshua.

> * Game 3, Round 5 - Audio - The Inaugural Address

> Yes, it's an audio round without the audio. In the original game,
> of course, a clip of the speech was played. Here you will have
> a transcript of each clip.

This, in its original form, was the easiest round in the original
game and is a likely candidate for easiest round in the whole season.

> The last round was US states, and this one is US presidents.
> On each question, name the president who is speaking at his
> inauguration after being newly elected. For fun, you may also
> mention the year of the speech, but it's not part of your answer.
> If two presidents have had the same surname, you must disambiguate
> appropriately.

> 1. "We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness
> invite challenge. We will confront weapons of mass destruction,
> so that a new century is spared new horrors. The enemies
> of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America
> remains engaged in the world, by history and by choice, shaping
> a balance of power that favors freedom."

George W. Bush. (Requiring "W." or accepting George Bush II or Jr.)
(2001). 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 2. "Through a crucible for the ages America has been tested anew,
> and America has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate
> the triumph not of a candidate, but of a cause, the cause of
> democracy. The people -- the will of the people has been heard,
> and the will of the people has been heeded. We've learned again
> that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile. At this
> hour, my friends, democracy has prevailed."

Joe (Joseph) Biden (2021). 4 for everyone.

> 3. "There is no longer a clear division between what is foreign
> and what is domestic. The world economy, the world environment,
> the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race: they affect us all.
> Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free
> but less stable. Communism's collapse has called forth old
> animosities and new dangers. Clearly, America must continue
> to lead the world we did so much to make."

Bill (William) Clinton (1993). 4 for everyone.

> 4. "But we have no promise from God that our greatness will endure.
> We have been allowed by Him to seek greatness with the sweat
> of our hands and the strength of our spirit. I do not believe
> that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless, and sterile
> battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming -- always
> becoming..."

Lyndon Johnson. (Requiring "Lyndon" or accepting LBJ.) (1965).
4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 5. "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not
> a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and
> Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and
> culture, drawn from every end of this Earth. And because we have
> tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation and emerged
> from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help
> but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass..."

Barack Obama (2009). 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 6. "This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole
> truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly
> facing conditions in our country today. This great nation
> will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper.
> So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only
> thing we have to fear is -- fear itself."

Franklin Roosevelt. (Requiring "Franklin" or accepting FDR.)
(1933). 4 for everyone.

> 7. "...both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both
> rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both
> racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the
> hand of mankind's final war. So let us begin anew, remembering
> on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and
> sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate
> out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."

John Kennedy. (Accepting JFK.) (1961). 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland,
and Stephen.

> 8. "The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several
> decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but
> they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans
> have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever
> needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion
> of freedom. In this present crisis, government is not the
> solution to our problem; government is the problem."

Ronald Reagan (1981). 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> 9. "Together, we will determine the course of America and the world
> for many, many years to come. We will face challenges, we will
> confront hardships, but we will get the job done. Every 4 years,
> we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful
> transfer of power..."

Donald Trump (2017). 4 for Stephen.

> 10. "I have taken an oath today in the presence of God and my
> countrymen to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United
> States. And to that oath I now add this sacred commitment:
> I shall consecrate my Office, my energies, and all the wisdom
> I can summon to the cause of peace among nations. Let this
> message be heard by strong and weak alike..."

Richard Nixon (1969). 4 for Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Not Related To

> For each question we will describe two celebrities, mostly actors
> and actresses, who go by the same surname. It may or may not be
> their real name, but in any case, they are not related. We will
> always describe them in alphabetical order by first name, not that
> we expect that to help you.

> You must give *both their first names and their shared surname*,
> like "Chris and Lyndon Johnson", but you don't have to name them
> in order.

> 1. Her songs include "California Gurls" and "I Kissed a Girl".
> He's best known for a sitcom that ran from 1994 to 2004.
> To repeat, they aren't related but have the same surname;
> name both.

Katy and Matthew Perry. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

("Friends". Well, he was still alive when I wrote the question.)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: QFTCI23 Game 3, Rounds 4-6 answers: plates, inaugurals, unrelated

<FyadnfZNdI_9PsH4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5768&group=rec.games.trivia#5768

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:32:32 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:32 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > * Game 3, Round 5 - Audio - The Inaugural Address
>
> > Yes, it's an audio round without the audio. In the original game,
> > of course, a clip of the speech was played. Here you will have
> > a transcript of each clip.
>
> This, in its original form, was the easiest round in the original
> game and is a likely candidate for easiest round in the whole season.
>
> > ...On each question, name the president who is speaking at his
> > inauguration after being newly elected...

It was indeed the easiest round in the whole season. Game 1,
Round 7, "One-Word Movie Titles", was the third-easiest, and Game 2,
Round 8, the sports round on "Numbers", was fourth-easiest.

The second-hardest round of the entire season was a tie between
Game 1, Round 6, "The Title Character", and an audio round not
posted here. The sixth-hardest was Game 1, Round 4, the sports
round on "And in Last Place".

Now you know.
--
Mark Brader | "It is only a guess, of course.
msb@vex.net | I hope none of you ever finds out for certain."