This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough hunchbacks.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6 answers: cult movies, lesser-known sports

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: cult movies, lesser-known sportsMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: cult movies, lesser-known sportsErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: cult movies, lesser-known sportsDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: cult movies, lesser-known sportsDan Blum
`- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6 answers: cult movies, lesser-known sportsMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: cult movies, lesser-known sports

<Gy-dncft4NGr1_z4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5773&group=rec.games.trivia#5773

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: cult movies, lesser-known sports
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 01:13:26 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 01:13 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 5, Round 4 - Entertainment - Cult Movies

Most of these movies did poorly when first released, but have
developed a cult following over the years. Name them.

1. Starring Kevin Bacon. A remote desert town is attacked by
tongue-like underground creatures.

2. Starring David Carradine. A car chase results in masses of
blood, gore, and other mayhem.

3. Starring Bela Lugosi. Aliens arrive in hubcap-like flying
saucers and resurrect corpses to convince Earth's idiotic,
militaristic people not to explode the universe.

4. Starring William Hurt. A scientist on LSD enters a sensory
isolation chamber.

5. Starring Kurt Russell. A trucker loses his rig in Chinatown
and goes to great lengths to recover it.

6. Starring David Bowie. An alien makes gobs of money and has
sex with many women.

7. Starring Robert Mitchum. A phony preacher pursues two children
who have hidden the proceeds from a robbery.

8. Starring Tim Curry. A sweet young couple knock on the door of
a mansion housing multiple weirdos.

9. Starring John Belushi. In the days after Pearl Harbor, Japanese
aircraft and submarines are spotted near Los Angeles.

10. Starring Spencer Tracy. A one-armed stranger arrives in a small
town looking for a resident who turns out to have been murdered.

* Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - Lesser-Known Sports and Recreations

In each case name them.

1. This pastime involves leaners and ringers.

2. In which activity might you be called out for "LBW"?

3. The basic version of this board game is centered on controlling
the real-estate market in Atlantic City.

4. This board game is centered on controlling the world.

5. The term "life list" was coined in connection with this activity.

6. Categories of this activity include Nordic (or cross-country), Alpine,
and freestyle.

7. The movie "A River Runs Through It" was centered on this
activity.

8. TV coverage of this game is often punctuated by cries of "180".

9. Going up a steep cliff or mountain without ropes or other
equipment.

10. A mistake in this game may result in the dreaded 7-10 split.

--
Mark Brader | "...the average homeowner should expect...
Toronto | meteor damage every hundred million years."

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: cult movies, lesser-known sports

<XnsB0C7634619983Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5774&group=rec.games.trivia#5774

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 09:45:32 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 08:45 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 4 - Entertainment - Cult Movies
>
> 6. Starring David Bowie. An alien makes gobs of money and has
> sex with many women.

The Man Who Fell to Earth
> * Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - Lesser-Known Sports and Recreations
>
> 3. The basic version of this board game is centered on controlling
> the real-estate market in Atlantic City.

Monopoly
> 4. This board game is centered on controlling the world.

Risk

(When I lived in a student dormitory where we had some board games.
I was very good at something called "Finance", a more sophisticated
version of Monopoly. But I don't think I won a single game of Risk.)

> 6. Categories of this activity include Nordic (or cross-country), Alpine,
> and freestyle.

Skiing
> 9. Going up a steep cliff or mountain without ropes or other
> equipment.

Free-climbing
> 10. A mistake in this game may result in the dreaded 7-10 split.

Ten-pin bowling.

(Confession: I was about to making an amusing typo by typing the "l" two
letters too early.)

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: cult movies, lesser-known sports

<ujsig1$2p5lo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5775&group=rec.games.trivia#5775

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 02:32:30 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 10:32 UTC

On 11/24/23 17:13, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Entertainment - Cult Movies
>
> Most of these movies did poorly when first released, but have
> developed a cult following over the years. Name them.
>
> 1. Starring Kevin Bacon. A remote desert town is attacked by
> tongue-like underground creatures.
>
> 2. Starring David Carradine. A car chase results in masses of
> blood, gore, and other mayhem.
>
> 3. Starring Bela Lugosi. Aliens arrive in hubcap-like flying
> saucers and resurrect corpses to convince Earth's idiotic,
> militaristic people not to explode the universe.

Plan 9 from Outer Space

> 4. Starring William Hurt. A scientist on LSD enters a sensory
> isolation chamber.
>
> 5. Starring Kurt Russell. A trucker loses his rig in Chinatown
> and goes to great lengths to recover it.
>
> 6. Starring David Bowie. An alien makes gobs of money and has
> sex with many women.

Earth Girls are Easy ??

> 7. Starring Robert Mitchum. A phony preacher pursues two children
> who have hidden the proceeds from a robbery.
>
> 8. Starring Tim Curry. A sweet young couple knock on the door of
> a mansion housing multiple weirdos.

Rocky Horror Picture Show

> 9. Starring John Belushi. In the days after Pearl Harbor, Japanese
> aircraft and submarines are spotted near Los Angeles.

1941

> 10. Starring Spencer Tracy. A one-armed stranger arrives in a small
> town looking for a resident who turns out to have been murdered.
>

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - Lesser-Known Sports and Recreations
>
> In each case name them.
>
> 1. This pastime involves leaners and ringers.

horseshoes

> 2. In which activity might you be called out for "LBW"?

cricket

> 3. The basic version of this board game is centered on controlling
> the real-estate market in Atlantic City.

Monopoly

> 4. This board game is centered on controlling the world.

Risk

> 5. The term "life list" was coined in connection with this activity.
>
> 6. Categories of this activity include Nordic (or cross-country), Alpine,
> and freestyle.

skiing

> 7. The movie "A River Runs Through It" was centered on this
> activity.
>
> 8. TV coverage of this game is often punctuated by cries of "180".

figure skating

> 9. Going up a steep cliff or mountain without ropes or other
> equipment.

free climbing

> 10. A mistake in this game may result in the dreaded 7-10 split.

tenpin bowling

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: cult movies, lesser-known sports

<ujt1ls$ft9$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5776&group=rec.games.trivia#5776

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 14:51:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 14:51 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Entertainment - Cult Movies

> 1. Starring Kevin Bacon. A remote desert town is attacked by
> tongue-like underground creatures.

Tremors

> 3. Starring Bela Lugosi. Aliens arrive in hubcap-like flying
> saucers and resurrect corpses to convince Earth's idiotic,
> militaristic people not to explode the universe.

Plan Nine From Outer Space

> 4. Starring William Hurt. A scientist on LSD enters a sensory
> isolation chamber.

Altered States

> 5. Starring Kurt Russell. A trucker loses his rig in Chinatown
> and goes to great lengths to recover it.

Big Trouble in Little China

> 6. Starring David Bowie. An alien makes gobs of money and has
> sex with many women.

The Man Who Fell to Earth

> 7. Starring Robert Mitchum. A phony preacher pursues two children
> who have hidden the proceeds from a robbery.

Cape Fear

> 8. Starring Tim Curry. A sweet young couple knock on the door of
> a mansion housing multiple weirdos.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

> 9. Starring John Belushi. In the days after Pearl Harbor, Japanese
> aircraft and submarines are spotted near Los Angeles.

1941

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - Lesser-Known Sports and Recreations

> 1. This pastime involves leaners and ringers.

horseshoes

> 2. In which activity might you be called out for "LBW"?

cricket

> 3. The basic version of this board game is centered on controlling
> the real-estate market in Atlantic City.

Monopoly

> 4. This board game is centered on controlling the world.

Risk

> 6. Categories of this activity include Nordic (or cross-country), Alpine,
> and freestyle.

skiing

> 7. The movie "A River Runs Through It" was centered on this
> activity.

fishing

> 9. Going up a steep cliff or mountain without ropes or other
> equipment.

free climbing

> 10. A mistake in this game may result in the dreaded 7-10 split.

bowling

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6 answers: cult movies, lesser-known sports

<UIadnTSqGeSXCfj4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5777&group=rec.games.trivia#5777

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 4,6 answers: cult movies, lesser-known sports
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:17:30 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:17 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-23,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I did not write either of these rounds.

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Entertainment - Cult Movies

> Most of these movies did poorly when first released, but have
> developed a cult following over the years. Name them.

In the original game, the audio round was the hardest and this was
the second-hardest.

> 1. Starring Kevin Bacon. A remote desert town is attacked by
> tongue-like underground creatures.

"Tremors" (1990). 4 for Stephen (entering via email for the second
consecutive time), Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 2. Starring David Carradine. A car chase results in masses of
> blood, gore, and other mayhem.

"Death Race 2000" (1975). 2 for Joshua.

"Death Race" was the 2008 quasi-remake starring Jason Statham.

> 3. Starring Bela Lugosi. Aliens arrive in hubcap-like flying
> saucers and resurrect corpses to convince Earth's idiotic,
> militaristic people not to explode the universe.

"Plan 9 from Outer Space" or "Grave Robbers from Outer Space" (1957).
4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

("Future events such as these will affect you in the future...
Can you prove that it didn't happen?")

> 4. Starring William Hurt. A scientist on LSD enters a sensory
> isolation chamber.

"Altered States" (1980). 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 5. Starring Kurt Russell. A trucker loses his rig in Chinatown
> and goes to great lengths to recover it.

"Big Trouble in Little China" (1986). 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum,
and Joshua.

> 6. Starring David Bowie. An alien makes gobs of money and has
> sex with many women.

"The Man Who Fell to Earth" (1976). 4 for Stephen, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Joshua.

> 7. Starring Robert Mitchum. A phony preacher pursues two children
> who have hidden the proceeds from a robbery.

"The Night of the Hunter" (1955). 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 8. Starring Tim Curry. A sweet young couple knock on the door of
> a mansion housing multiple weirdos.

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" (1975). 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque,
Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 9. Starring John Belushi. In the days after Pearl Harbor, Japanese
> aircraft and submarines are spotted near Los Angeles.

"1941" (1979). 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 10. Starring Spencer Tracy. A one-armed stranger arrives in a small
> town looking for a resident who turns out to have been murdered.

"Bad Day at Black Rock" (1955). 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - Lesser-Known Sports and Recreations

> In each case name them.

> 1. This pastime involves leaners and ringers.

Horseshoes. 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 2. In which activity might you be called out for "LBW"?

Cricket. (It's "leg before wicket".) 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque,
Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 3. The basic version of this board game is centered on controlling
> the real-estate market in Atlantic City.

Monopoly. 4 for everyone -- Stephen, Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Joshua.

> 4. This board game is centered on controlling the world.

Risk. 4 for everyone.

> 5. The term "life list" was coined in connection with this activity.

Birdwatching (birding). 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 6. Categories of this activity include Nordic (or cross-country), Alpine,
> and freestyle.

Skiing. 4 for everyone.

> 7. The movie "A River Runs Through It" was centered on this
> activity.

Fly fishing. ("Fishing" was sufficient.) 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum,
and Joshua.

> 8. TV coverage of this game is often punctuated by cries of "180".

Darts. (180 is the most you can score with three darts.)
4 for Stephen.

> 9. Going up a steep cliff or mountain without ropes or other
> equipment.

Free climbing. 4 for Stephen, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 10. A mistake in this game may result in the dreaded 7-10 split.

10-pin bowling. ("Nowling" was sufficient.) 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Ent Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 32 38 32 102
Dan Blum 28 28 32 88
Stephen Perry -- 36 40 76
Dan Tilque 8 12 28 48
Erland Sommarskog -- 4 20 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Do not meddle in the affairs of undefined behavior,
msb@vex.net | for it is subtle and quick to anger.