Having the fewest wants, I am nearest to the gods. -- Socrates

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: the other one, science

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, scienceMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, scienceDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, scienceErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, scienceDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, scienceJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, scienceswp
`- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: the other one, scienceMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, science

<2gidnY9zi4bFCfj4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5778&group=rec.games.trivia#5778

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, science
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:18:48 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:18 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 5, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - The Other One

We name one of a pair of people who are more famous as a pair than
individually; you name the other. For example, we say Orville
Wright, and you say Wilbur Wright. None of the ones we'll ask
about will be brothers, though.

1. David Brinkley.
2. Oscar Hammerstein.
3. Francis Crick.
4. King William III.
5. Daryl Hall.
6. Tommy Chong.
7. Sergey Brin.
8. William Clark.
9. Bartolomeo Vanzetti.
10. Jayne Torvill.

* Game 5, Round 8 - Science - General Science Questions

1. Astronauts who just returned to Earth after some time in space
look visibly different than before. How?

2. What creature takes its name from the Afrikaans for "earth pig"?

3. In 1905 Albert Einstein published four papers that profoundly
changed the science of physics. How was he employed at the time?

4. Who wrote the 1687 book "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia
Mathematica" -- that's Latin for "The Mathematical Principles
of Natural Philosophy"?

5. What is the closest star to the Earth?

6. How long does it take for light from the Sun to travel to
the Earth? Answer within 20% of the true number.

7. Which part of the human body acts as a valve to direct food to
the stomach and air to the lungs?

8. On the pH scale, what number represents neutral, i.e. neither
acid nor alkaline?

9. At the current level of humidity, what do we call the temperature
at which water vapor would condense out of the air?

10. At what sustained wind speed is a tropical storm promoted to
the status of hurricane? Answer within 10% of the true number.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The time to make up your mind about people
msb@vex.net | is never." --The Philadelphia Story

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, science

<uk4fn2$857o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5781&group=rec.games.trivia#5781

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, science
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 02:34:06 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 10:34 UTC

On 11/27/23 23:18, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - The Other One
>
> We name one of a pair of people who are more famous as a pair than
> individually; you name the other. For example, we say Orville
> Wright, and you say Wilbur Wright. None of the ones we'll ask
> about will be brothers, though.
>
> 1. David Brinkley.

Huntley

> 2. Oscar Hammerstein.

Rodgers

> 3. Francis Crick.

Watson

> 4. King William III.

Queen Mary II

> 5. Daryl Hall.

Oates

> 6. Tommy Chong.

Cheech

> 7. Sergey Brin.

Page

> 8. William Clark.

Meriwether Lewis

> 9. Bartolomeo Vanzetti.

Sacco

> 10. Jayne Torvill.
>

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - General Science Questions
>
> 1. Astronauts who just returned to Earth after some time in space
> look visibly different than before. How?

taller

> 2. What creature takes its name from the Afrikaans for "earth pig"?

aardvark

> 3. In 1905 Albert Einstein published four papers that profoundly
> changed the science of physics. How was he employed at the time?

patent examiner at the Swiss Patent Office

> 4. Who wrote the 1687 book "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia
> Mathematica" -- that's Latin for "The Mathematical Principles
> of Natural Philosophy"?

Newton

> 5. What is the closest star to the Earth?

Sun

> 6. How long does it take for light from the Sun to travel to
> the Earth? Answer within 20% of the true number.

8.3 minutes

> 7. Which part of the human body acts as a valve to direct food to
> the stomach and air to the lungs?

esophagus

7

> 9. At the current level of humidity, what do we call the temperature
> at which water vapor would condense out of the air?

dew point

> 10. At what sustained wind speed is a tropical storm promoted to
> the status of hurricane? Answer within 10% of the true number.

140 km/hour

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, science

<XnsB0CACE4702FF3Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5782&group=rec.games.trivia#5782

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:16:40 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:16 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - The Other One
>
> 4. King William III.

Queen Mary II

> 5. Daryl Hall.

Oates

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - General Science Questions
>
> 1. Astronauts who just returned to Earth after some time in space
> look visibly different than before. How?

They have a sun tan.
> 3. In 1905 Albert Einstein published four papers that profoundly
> changed the science of physics. How was he employed at the time?

Swiss Patent Office
> 4. Who wrote the 1687 book "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia
> Mathematica" -- that's Latin for "The Mathematical Principles
> of Natural Philosophy"?

Newton
> 5. What is the closest star to the Earth?

Proxima Centauri
> 6. How long does it take for light from the Sun to travel to
> the Earth? Answer within 20% of the true number.

Eight minutes
> 7. Which part of the human body acts as a valve to direct food to
> the stomach and air to the lungs?

Throat

7
> 9. At the current level of humidity, what do we call the temperature
> at which water vapor would condense out of the air?

Dew point
> 10. At what sustained wind speed is a tropical storm promoted to
> the status of hurricane? Answer within 10% of the true number.

32 m/s

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, science

<uk5o5b$nsr$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5784&group=rec.games.trivia#5784

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:04:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:04 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - The Other One

> 1. David Brinkley.

Huntley

> 2. Oscar Hammerstein.

Rodgers

> 3. Francis Crick.

Watson

> 4. King William III.

Mary II

> 5. Daryl Hall.

Oates

> 6. Tommy Chong.

Cheech Marin

> 8. William Clark.

Lewis

> 9. Bartolomeo Vanzetti.

Sacco

> 10. Jayne Torvill.

Dean

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - General Science Questions

> 1. Astronauts who just returned to Earth after some time in space
> look visibly different than before. How?

they are taller

> 2. What creature takes its name from the Afrikaans for "earth pig"?

aardvark

> 3. In 1905 Albert Einstein published four papers that profoundly
> changed the science of physics. How was he employed at the time?

patent examiner

> 4. Who wrote the 1687 book "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia
> Mathematica" -- that's Latin for "The Mathematical Principles
> of Natural Philosophy"?

Newton

> 5. What is the closest star to the Earth?

the Sun

> 6. How long does it take for light from the Sun to travel to
> the Earth? Answer within 20% of the true number.

8 minutes

> 7. Which part of the human body acts as a valve to direct food to
> the stomach and air to the lungs?

glottis

7

> 9. At the current level of humidity, what do we call the temperature
> at which water vapor would condense out of the air?

dew point

> 10. At what sustained wind speed is a tropical storm promoted to
> the status of hurricane? Answer within 10% of the true number.

100 mph

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, science

<a2529d9d-92b0-4238-828e-2d9bdb1f1cb3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5787&group=rec.games.trivia#5787

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:34:37 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 00:34 UTC

On Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at 1:19:00 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - The Other One
>
> We name one of a pair of people who are more famous as a pair than
> individually; you name the other. For example, we say Orville
> Wright, and you say Wilbur Wright. None of the ones we'll ask
> about will be brothers, though.
>
> 1. David Brinkley.

Chet Huntley

> 2. Oscar Hammerstein.

Richard Rodgers

> 3. Francis Crick.

James Watson
> 4. King William III.

Queen Mary II
> 5. Daryl Hall.

John Oates
> 6. Tommy Chong.

Cheech Marin

> 8. William Clark.

Lewis
> 9. Bartolomeo Vanzetti.

Sacco

> 10. Jayne Torvill.

Dean

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - General Science Questions
>
> 2. What creature takes its name from the Afrikaans for "earth pig"?

aardvark

> 3. In 1905 Albert Einstein published four papers that profoundly
> changed the science of physics. How was he employed at the time?

patent clerk

> 4. Who wrote the 1687 book "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia
> Mathematica" -- that's Latin for "The Mathematical Principles
> of Natural Philosophy"?

Isaac Newton

> 5. What is the closest star to the Earth?

the Sun

> 6. How long does it take for light from the Sun to travel to
> the Earth? Answer within 20% of the true number.

8 minutes

> 7. Which part of the human body acts as a valve to direct food to
> the stomach and air to the lungs?

epiglottis

7

> 9. At the current level of humidity, what do we call the temperature
> at which water vapor would condense out of the air?

dew point
> 10. At what sustained wind speed is a tropical storm promoted to
> the status of hurricane? Answer within 10% of the true number.

75 miles per hour

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: the other one, science

<614960e1-296c-445d-801b-d8ed8fc9f0fcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5789&group=rec.games.trivia#5789

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:46:39 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 01:46 UTC

On Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at 2:19:00 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-23,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - The Other One
>
> We name one of a pair of people who are more famous as a pair than
> individually; you name the other. For example, we say Orville
> Wright, and you say Wilbur Wright. None of the ones we'll ask
> about will be brothers, though.
>
> 1. David Brinkley.

huntley

> 2. Oscar Hammerstein.

rodgers

> 3. Francis Crick.

watson

> 4. King William III.

queen mary ii

> 5. Daryl Hall.

john oates

> 6. Tommy Chong.

cheech marin

> 7. Sergey Brin.

larry page

> 8. William Clark.

merriweather lewis

> 9. Bartolomeo Vanzetti.

nicola sacco

> 10. Jayne Torvill.

chris dean

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - General Science Questions
>
> 1. Astronauts who just returned to Earth after some time in space
> look visibly different than before. How?

taller

> 2. What creature takes its name from the Afrikaans for "earth pig"?

aardvark

> 3. In 1905 Albert Einstein published four papers that profoundly
> changed the science of physics. How was he employed at the time?

patent clerk

> 4. Who wrote the 1687 book "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia
> Mathematica" -- that's Latin for "The Mathematical Principles
> of Natural Philosophy"?

isaac newton

> 5. What is the closest star to the Earth?

the sun

> 6. How long does it take for light from the Sun to travel to
> the Earth? Answer within 20% of the true number.

eight minutes

> 7. Which part of the human body acts as a valve to direct food to
> the stomach and air to the lungs?

epiglottis

> 8. On the pH scale, what number represents neutral, i.e. neither
> acid nor alkaline?

seven

> 9. At the current level of humidity, what do we call the temperature
> at which water vapor would condense out of the air?

dew point

> 10. At what sustained wind speed is a tropical storm promoted to
> the status of hurricane? Answer within 10% of the true number.

75

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "The time to make up your mind about people
> m...@vex.net | is never." --The Philadelphia Story
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: the other one, science

<LIqcnVP4f7JoCfT4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5790&group=rec.games.trivia#5790

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: the other one, science
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 08:10:29 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 08:10 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-23,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The other one. Er, I mean, The Other One. Not to be confused with
The Others, who are the Canadian Inquisition's neweest team!

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - The Other One

> We name one of a pair of people who are more famous as a pair than
> individually; you name the other. For example, we say Orville
> Wright, and you say Wilbur Wright. None of the ones we'll ask
> about will be brothers, though.

> 1. David Brinkley.

Chet Huntley. (US TV news co-anchors.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Stephen.

> 2. Oscar Hammerstein.

Richard Rodgers. (Co-writers of musicals.) 4 for Dan Tilque,
Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 3. Francis Crick.

James Watson. (Scientists who co-discovered the structure of DNA.)
4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 4. King William III.

Queen Mary II. (Co-monarchs.) 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque,
Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 5. Daryl Hall.

John Oates. (Musicians.) 4 for everyone.

> 6. Tommy Chong.

Richard "Cheech" Marin. (Comedians.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Stephen.

> 7. Sergey Brin.

Larry Page. (Co-creators of Google.) 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 8. William Clark.

Meriwether Lewis. (Explorers.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> 9. Bartolomeo Vanzetti.

Nicola Sacco. (Controversially convicted of a 1920 murder.)
4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 10. Jayne Torvill.

Christopher Dean. (Figure skaters known for ice dancing.)
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Science - General Science Questions

> 1. Astronauts who just returned to Earth after some time in space
> look visibly different than before. How?

They are taller. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 2. What creature takes its name from the Afrikaans for "earth pig"?

Aardvark. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 3. In 1905 Albert Einstein published four papers that profoundly
> changed the science of physics. How was he employed at the time?

Patent clerk (in Switzerland). 4 for everyone.

> 4. Who wrote the 1687 book "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia
> Mathematica" -- that's Latin for "The Mathematical Principles
> of Natural Philosophy"?

(Sir) Isaac Newton. 4 for everyone.

> 5. What is the closest star to the Earth?

The Sun. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 6. How long does it take for light from the Sun to travel to
> the Earth? Answer within 20% of the true number.

8.3 minutes (accepting 6.6-10 minutes). 4 for everyone.

> 7. Which part of the human body acts as a valve to direct food to
> the stomach and air to the lungs?

Epiglottis. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 8. On the pH scale, what number represents neutral, i.e. neither
> acid nor alkaline?

7. 4 for everyone.

> 9. At the current level of humidity, what do we call the temperature
> at which water vapor would condense out of the air?

Dew point. 4 for everyone.

> 10. At what sustained wind speed is a tropical storm promoted to
> the status of hurricane? Answer within 10% of the true number.

74 mph (accepting 67-81), 119 km/h (accepting 107-131), 64 knots
(accepting 58-71), or 33.1 m/s (accepting 29.8-36.4). 4 for Erland,
Joshua, and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Ent Spo Mis Sci THREE
Stephen Perry -- 36 40 40 40 120
Joshua Kreitzer 32 38 32 36 36 110
Dan Blum 28 28 32 36 32 100
Dan Tilque 8 12 28 36 32 96
Erland Sommarskog -- 4 20 8 24 52

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | A driver I know is getting uncomfortably close to
msb@vex.net | earning the nickname "Crash". --Lee Ayrton