Wernher von Braun settled for a V-2 when he coulda had a V-8.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge roundMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge roundDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge roundDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge roundswp
`- QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: too late, challenge roundMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge round

<BcWcnZEnE4SuCvT4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5792&group=rec.games.trivia#5792

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge round
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 08:20:03 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 08:20 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds, and 2/3 of the other.

** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography History - Sorry, You've Missed It!

Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g5r9/miss.pdf

Some of the landmarks on the handout look notably different now
than you see in the pictures; others no longer exist at all. So if
you'd like to go and see one of them as it appears in the pictures --
sorry, you've missed it!

1. Three of the photos on page 1 of the handout were taken in the
same city. Name *any two* of the three letters.

2. Photo A is on the opposite coast. We've blanked out the two
signs showing the name of the restaurant -- what was it?

3. Photo H is in Toronto. The complex still exists, but the terrace
in the center of the photo no longer does. Either tell *who*
it was named after, or tell *who* the new structure that replaced
it is named after.

4. The building in F existed in two different forms at different
times, but neither one exists any more. Name it.

5. Photo D no longer exists in that form due to religious reasons.
What country was it in?

6. Okay, turn the page. Speaking of religion, photo I on page 2
shows the so-called Twelve Apostles as they existed before the
collapse of one column in 2005. There never were 12 of them.
But what country were they in?

7. Photo P was in Franconia Notch, New Hampshire, but the rock
formation collapsed in 2003. Name it.

8. Photo J shows Elephant Rock, before a large part of it collapsed
in 2016. Where in Canada was it? Name *either* the province
or the adjacent body of water.

9. In the real world, the formation in L was called the Azure
Window. *Either* name the island country where it was in the
real world, *or* tell what continent near Westeros that it's
on in fiction.

10. Photo M was in the Sahara Desert. The Tree of Ténéré had roots
reaching over 100 feet down to the water table, and was the last
survivor of a stand of trees existing decades earlier. In the
end, the nearest other tree was something like 100 miles away.
The Tree of Ténéré no longer exists: what happened to it?

There were 4 decoys. If you like, for fun, but for no points,
decode the rot13 for a question about each one.

11. Cvpgher R fubjf Dhrra Nznavfunxurgb'f clenzvq va Fhqna.
Jung unccrarq gb vg?

12. Gur sbezngvba va X pbyyncfrq va 2021. Jung pbhagel jnf vg va?

13. Va jung *pvgl* vf cvpgher A, naq jung unccrarq gb punatr guvf
angheny sbezngvba?

14. Rvgure anzr gur sbezngvba va cvpgher B, be gryy jurer va Dhrorp
vg vf.

** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. History: New Products of 1990

A1. Which new line of cars from General Motors went into
production in 1990?

A2. Which version of Windows was released by Microsoft in 1990?
Be specific.

* B. Science: Astronomical Etymology

B1. An exploding star is called a nova, supernova, or hypernova
depending on the type of explosion. What does "nova"
mean in Latin?

B2. The word "planet" is derived from a Greek word that means
what?

* C. Literature: Lord of the Rings

C1. The task of the Fellowship of the Ring is to transport the
One Ring to what specific location where it can be destroyed?

C2. How exactly does it happen that the One Ring is destroyed?

* D. Canadiana Geography: Long Rivers

These questions refer to the rivers as named, not to their
tributaries that may cross borders. For example, the Mississippi
does not include the Missouri.

D1. What is the longest river that is entirely in Canada?
D2. What is the longest river that is entirely within BC?

* E. Sports: Unusual Baseball Tactics

E1. In 1951 the St. Louis Browns used a player they thought would
be unusually hard to strike out. His name was Eddie Gaedel.
Why did they think that?

E2. An eephus pitch is supposed to be unusually hard to hit.
What's unusual about it?

* F. Entertainment: 1960s Game Show Hosts

F1. Who was the original host of "Jeopardy!", starting in 1964?
F2. Who was the original host of "Password", starting in 1961?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto But that's what all the other
msb@vex.net individualists are doing!

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge round

<XnsB0CDB10C38525Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5793&group=rec.games.trivia#5793

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 17:24:16 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 16:24 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography History - Sorry, You've Missed It!
>
> 1. Three of the photos on page 1 of the handout were taken in the
> same city. Name *any two* of the three letters.

C & G
> 5. Photo D no longer exists in that form due to religious reasons.
> What country was it in?

Afghanistan
> 10. Photo M was in the Sahara Desert. The Tree of Ténéré had roots
> reaching over 100 feet down to the water table, and was the last
> survivor of a stand of trees existing decades earlier. In the
> end, the nearest other tree was something like 100 miles away.
> The Tree of Ténéré no longer exists: what happened to it?

Some idiot cut it down.
> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>

> A2. Which version of Windows was released by Microsoft in 1990?
> Be specific.

Windows 3.0
> * B. Science: Astronomical Etymology
>
> B1. An exploding star is called a nova, supernova, or hypernova
> depending on the type of explosion. What does "nova"
> mean in Latin?

New
> D2. What is the longest river that is entirely within BC?

Fraser

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge round

<ukdoha$220t2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5794&group=rec.games.trivia#5794

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 14:59:51 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 22:59 UTC

On 12/1/23 00:20, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography History - Sorry, You've Missed It!
>
> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g5r9/miss.pdf
>
> Some of the landmarks on the handout look notably different now
> than you see in the pictures; others no longer exist at all. So if
> you'd like to go and see one of them as it appears in the pictures --
> sorry, you've missed it!
>
> 1. Three of the photos on page 1 of the handout were taken in the
> same city. Name *any two* of the three letters.

F, G

> 2. Photo A is on the opposite coast. We've blanked out the two
> signs showing the name of the restaurant -- what was it?
>
> 3. Photo H is in Toronto. The complex still exists, but the terrace
> in the center of the photo no longer does. Either tell *who*
> it was named after, or tell *who* the new structure that replaced
> it is named after.
>
> 4. The building in F existed in two different forms at different
> times, but neither one exists any more. Name it.

Crystal Palace

> 5. Photo D no longer exists in that form due to religious reasons.
> What country was it in?

Afghanistan

> 6. Okay, turn the page. Speaking of religion, photo I on page 2
> shows the so-called Twelve Apostles as they existed before the
> collapse of one column in 2005. There never were 12 of them.
> But what country were they in?

Ireland

> 7. Photo P was in Franconia Notch, New Hampshire, but the rock
> formation collapsed in 2003. Name it.

Old Man of the Mountain

> 8. Photo J shows Elephant Rock, before a large part of it collapsed
> in 2016. Where in Canada was it? Name *either* the province
> or the adjacent body of water.

Ontario

> 9. In the real world, the formation in L was called the Azure
> Window. *Either* name the island country where it was in the
> real world, *or* tell what continent near Westeros that it's
> on in fiction.
>
> 10. Photo M was in the Sahara Desert. The Tree of Ténéré had roots
> reaching over 100 feet down to the water table, and was the last
> survivor of a stand of trees existing decades earlier. In the
> end, the nearest other tree was something like 100 miles away.
> The Tree of Ténéré no longer exists: what happened to it?
>
> There were 4 decoys. If you like, for fun, but for no points,
> decode the rot13 for a question about each one.
>
> 11. Cvpgher R fubjf Dhrra Nznavfunxurgb'f clenzvq va Fhqna.
> Jung unccrarq gb vg?
>
> 12. Gur sbezngvba va X pbyyncfrq va 2021. Jung pbhagel jnf vg va?
>
> 13. Va jung *pvgl* vf cvpgher A, naq jung unccrarq gb punatr guvf
> angheny sbezngvba?
>
> 14. Rvgure anzr gur sbezngvba va cvpgher B, be gryy jurer va Dhrorp
> vg vf.
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>

> * A. History: New Products of 1990
>
> A1. Which new line of cars from General Motors went into
> production in 1990?

Saturn

> A2. Which version of Windows was released by Microsoft in 1990?
> Be specific.

3.1.1

> * B. Science: Astronomical Etymology
>
> B1. An exploding star is called a nova, supernova, or hypernova
> depending on the type of explosion. What does "nova"
> mean in Latin?

new

> B2. The word "planet" is derived from a Greek word that means
> what?

wanderer

> * C. Literature: Lord of the Rings
>
> C1. The task of the Fellowship of the Ring is to transport the
> One Ring to what specific location where it can be destroyed?

Mount Doom

> C2. How exactly does it happen that the One Ring is destroyed?

Gollum bites it off Frodo and then is dancing around with it. He trips
and falls into the mouth of the volcano.

> * D. Canadiana Geography: Long Rivers
>
> These questions refer to the rivers as named, not to their
> tributaries that may cross borders. For example, the Mississippi
> does not include the Missouri.
>
> D1. What is the longest river that is entirely in Canada?

MacKenzie

> D2. What is the longest river that is entirely within BC?

Fraser

> * E. Sports: Unusual Baseball Tactics
>
> E1. In 1951 the St. Louis Browns used a player they thought would
> be unusually hard to strike out. His name was Eddie Gaedel.
> Why did they think that?

he was a midget and thus had a really small strike zone.

> E2. An eephus pitch is supposed to be unusually hard to hit.
> What's unusual about it?
>

> * F. Entertainment: 1960s Game Show Hosts
>
> F1. Who was the original host of "Jeopardy!", starting in 1964?
> F2. Who was the original host of "Password", starting in 1961?

Alex Trebek

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge round

<ukdtlv$qmh$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5795&group=rec.games.trivia#5795

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 00:27:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 00:27 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography History - Sorry, You've Missed It!

> 1. Three of the photos on page 1 of the handout were taken in the
> same city. Name *any two* of the three letters.

F and G

> 2. Photo A is on the opposite coast. We've blanked out the two
> signs showing the name of the restaurant -- what was it?

Brown Derby

> 4. The building in F existed in two different forms at different
> times, but neither one exists any more. Name it.

Crystal Palace

> 5. Photo D no longer exists in that form due to religious reasons.
> What country was it in?

Afghanistan

> 7. Photo P was in Franconia Notch, New Hampshire, but the rock
> formation collapsed in 2003. Name it.

Old Man of the Mountain

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. History: New Products of 1990

> A2. Which version of Windows was released by Microsoft in 1990?
> Be specific.

3.1

> * B. Science: Astronomical Etymology

> B1. An exploding star is called a nova, supernova, or hypernova
> depending on the type of explosion. What does "nova"
> mean in Latin?

new

> B2. The word "planet" is derived from a Greek word that means
> what?

wanderer

> * C. Literature: Lord of the Rings

> C1. The task of the Fellowship of the Ring is to transport the
> One Ring to what specific location where it can be destroyed?

Mount Doom

> C2. How exactly does it happen that the One Ring is destroyed?

Gollum takes the Ring and then falls into lava

> * E. Sports: Unusual Baseball Tactics

> E1. In 1951 the St. Louis Browns used a player they thought would
> be unusually hard to strike out. His name was Eddie Gaedel.
> Why did they think that?

he was extremely short

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge round

<05f01c99-f743-41d3-b111-b7da2c35249dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5796&group=rec.games.trivia#5796

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 20:53:39 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 04:53 UTC

On Friday, December 1, 2023 at 2:20:15 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography History - Sorry, You've Missed It!
>
> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g5r9/miss.pdf
>
> Some of the landmarks on the handout look notably different now
> than you see in the pictures; others no longer exist at all. So if
> you'd like to go and see one of them as it appears in the pictures --
> sorry, you've missed it!
>
> 1. Three of the photos on page 1 of the handout were taken in the
> same city. Name *any two* of the three letters.

C, G

> 2. Photo A is on the opposite coast. We've blanked out the two
> signs showing the name of the restaurant -- what was it?

Brown Derby

> 4. The building in F existed in two different forms at different
> times, but neither one exists any more. Name it.

Crystal Palace
> 5. Photo D no longer exists in that form due to religious reasons.
> What country was it in?

Afghanistan

> 7. Photo P was in Franconia Notch, New Hampshire, but the rock
> formation collapsed in 2003. Name it.

The Old Man of the Mountain
> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. History: New Products of 1990
>
> A1. Which new line of cars from General Motors went into
> production in 1990?

Saturn

> A2. Which version of Windows was released by Microsoft in 1990?
> Be specific.

Windows 3.1

> * B. Science: Astronomical Etymology
>
> B1. An exploding star is called a nova, supernova, or hypernova
> depending on the type of explosion. What does "nova"
> mean in Latin?

new

> B2. The word "planet" is derived from a Greek word that means
> what?

wanderer

> * C. Literature: Lord of the Rings
>
> C1. The task of the Fellowship of the Ring is to transport the
> One Ring to what specific location where it can be destroyed?

Mordor

> C2. How exactly does it happen that the One Ring is destroyed?

it is cast into a volcano

> * E. Sports: Unusual Baseball Tactics
>
> E1. In 1951 the St. Louis Browns used a player they thought would
> be unusually hard to strike out. His name was Eddie Gaedel.
> Why did they think that?

he was less than 4 feet tall
> * F. Entertainment: 1960s Game Show Hosts
>
> F1. Who was the original host of "Jeopardy!", starting in 1964?

Fleming

> F2. Who was the original host of "Password", starting in 1961?

Ludden

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: too late, challenge round

<a4cf3dd2-e953-4d5d-ad47-b44ba3ae4334n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5797&group=rec.games.trivia#5797

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 10:30:20 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 18:30 UTC

On Friday, December 1, 2023 at 3:20:15 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-23,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds, and 2/3 of the other.

hmmm

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography History - Sorry, You've Missed It!
>
> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g5r9/miss.pdf
>
> Some of the landmarks on the handout look notably different now
> than you see in the pictures; others no longer exist at all. So if
> you'd like to go and see one of them as it appears in the pictures --
> sorry, you've missed it!
>
> 1. Three of the photos on page 1 of the handout were taken in the
> same city. Name *any two* of the three letters.

c and g

> 2. Photo A is on the opposite coast. We've blanked out the two
> signs showing the name of the restaurant -- what was it?

the brown derby

> 3. Photo H is in Toronto. The complex still exists, but the terrace
> in the center of the photo no longer does. Either tell *who*
> it was named after, or tell *who* the new structure that replaced
> it is named after.

michael lee-chin [the crystal, royal ontario museum on bloor street]

> 4. The building in F existed in two different forms at different
> times, but neither one exists any more. Name it.

the crystal palace [london]

> 5. Photo D no longer exists in that form due to religious reasons.
> What country was it in?

afghanistan

> 6. Okay, turn the page. Speaking of religion, photo I on page 2
> shows the so-called Twelve Apostles as they existed before the
> collapse of one column in 2005. There never were 12 of them.
> But what country were they in?

australia [victoria]

> 7. Photo P was in Franconia Notch, New Hampshire, but the rock
> formation collapsed in 2003. Name it.

the old man of the mountain

> 8. Photo J shows Elephant Rock, before a large part of it collapsed
> in 2016. Where in Canada was it? Name *either* the province
> or the adjacent body of water.

bay of fundy

> 9. In the real world, the formation in L was called the Azure
> Window. *Either* name the island country where it was in the
> real world, *or* tell what continent near Westeros that it's
> on in fiction.

malta

> 10. Photo M was in the Sahara Desert. The Tree of Ténéré had roots
> reaching over 100 feet down to the water table, and was the last
> survivor of a stand of trees existing decades earlier. In the
> end, the nearest other tree was something like 100 miles away.
> The Tree of Ténéré no longer exists: what happened to it?

it was hit by a truck

> There were 4 decoys. If you like, for fun, but for no points,
> decode the rot13 for a question about each one.
>
> 11. Picture E shows Queen Amanishakheto's pyramid in Sudan.
> What happened to it?

it was looted in 1830 by ferlini, who destroyed it

> 12. The formation in K collapsed in 2021. What country was it in?

one of the ones on earth

> 13. In what *city* is picture N, and what happened to change this
> natural formation?

niagra, cleaving

> 14. Either name the formation in picture O, or tell where in Quebec
> it is.

the atlantic ocean

note: I got really lucky on which ones are decoys this time

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>

> * A. History: New Products of 1990
>
> A1. Which new line of cars from General Motors went into
> production in 1990?

impact electric vehicle

> A2. Which version of Windows was released by Microsoft in 1990?
> Be specific.

windows 3.0

> * B. Science: Astronomical Etymology
>
> B1. An exploding star is called a nova, supernova, or hypernova
> depending on the type of explosion. What does "nova"
> mean in Latin?

new

> B2. The word "planet" is derived from a Greek word that means
> what?

wanderer

> * C. Literature: Lord of the Rings
>
> C1. The task of the Fellowship of the Ring is to transport the
> One Ring to what specific location where it can be destroyed?

the fires of mount doom

> C2. How exactly does it happen that the One Ring is destroyed?

gollum bit off frodo's finger and then fell into the volcano

> * D. Canadiana Geography: Long Rivers
>
> These questions refer to the rivers as named, not to their
> tributaries that may cross borders. For example, the Mississippi
> does not include the Missouri.
>
> D1. What is the longest river that is entirely in Canada?

mackenzie

> D2. What is the longest river that is entirely within BC?

fraser

> * E. Sports: Unusual Baseball Tactics
>
> E1. In 1951 the St. Louis Browns used a player they thought would
> be unusually hard to strike out. His name was Eddie Gaedel.
> Why did they think that?

he was a midget with a very small strike zone

> E2. An eephus pitch is supposed to be unusually hard to hit.
> What's unusual about it?

it's a slow very high arcing pitch

> * F. Entertainment: 1960s Game Show Hosts
>
> F1. Who was the original host of "Jeopardy!", starting in 1964?

art linkletter

> F2. Who was the original host of "Password", starting in 1961?

allen ludden

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto But that's what all the other
> m...@vex.net individualists are doing!
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: too late, challenge round

<zdycnRrahJw9XfD4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5798&group=rec.games.trivia#5798

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: too late, challenge round
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 12:05:52 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:05 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-23,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 5 is over and STEPHEN PERRY has recovered from a slow start
to win. Hearty congratulations!

> I wrote one of these rounds, and 2/3 of the other.

Sorry, you've missed it. Er, I mean, Sorry, You've Missed It!
(Of all the rounds I wrote this season, this was my favorite.)
I also wrote pairs B, C, E, and F of the challenge round.

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography History - Sorry, You've Missed It!

> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g5r9/miss.pdf

> Some of the landmarks on the handout look notably different now
> than you see in the pictures; others no longer exist at all. So if
> you'd like to go and see one of them as it appears in the pictures --
> sorry, you've missed it!

> 1. Three of the photos on page 1 of the handout were taken in the
> same city. Name *any two* of the three letters.

B, C, G. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Stephen.

It's New York. Photo B is the city's original Pennsylvania Station,
demolished in 1963 to make room for the present Madison Square
Garden and a new station. C, of course, is the World Trade Center,
destroyed in 2001. And G is the Singer Building, which also was
the world's tallest building when it was completed, in 1908; its
demolition starting in 1967 made room for the US Steel Building.

> 2. Photo A is on the opposite coast. We've blanked out the two
> signs showing the name of the restaurant -- what was it?

The Brown Derby. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

In Los Angeles. This is their original building; at least one other
similar one was built but no longer exists.

> 3. Photo H is in Toronto. The complex still exists, but the terrace
> in the center of the photo no longer does. Either tell *who*
> it was named after, or tell *who* the new structure that replaced
> it is named after.

Queen Elizabeth II, Michael Lee-Chin. 4 for Stephen.

The Royal Ontario Museum. The terrace opened in 1984, the "crystal"
<http://www.rom.on.ca/sites/default/files/imce/napkin.jpg> in 2007.

> 4. The building in F existed in two different forms at different
> times, but neither one exists any more. Name it.

Crystal Palace. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

It was built in London's Hyde Park for the Great Exhibition of 1851;
disassembled and moved in 1854 to another park, in South London; and
destroyed by fire in 1936. A train station near the second location
still carries the name Crystal Palace!

> 5. Photo D no longer exists in that form due to religious reasons.
> What country was it in?

Afghanistan. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Stephen.

The 7th-century giant Buddha statue is one of two that were destroyed
in 2001 on orders of the Taliban.

> 6. Okay, turn the page. Speaking of religion, photo I on page 2
> shows the so-called Twelve Apostles as they existed before the
> collapse of one column in 2005. There never were 12 of them.
> But what country were they in?

Australia. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. Photo P was in Franconia Notch, New Hampshire, but the rock
> formation collapsed in 2003. Name it.

The Old Man of the Mountain. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> 8. Photo J shows Elephant Rock, before a large part of it collapsed
> in 2016. Where in Canada was it? Name *either* the province
> or the adjacent body of water.

New Brunswick, Bay of Fundy. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. In the real world, the formation in L was called the Azure
> Window. *Either* name the island country where it was in the
> real world, *or* tell what continent near Westeros that it's
> on in fiction.

Malta (collapsed in 2017), Essos ("Game of Thrones" filming location
in about 2011). 4 for Stephen.

> 10. Photo M was in the Sahara Desert. The Tree of Ténéré had roots
> reaching over 100 feet down to the water table, and was the last
> survivor of a stand of trees existing decades earlier. In the
> end, the nearest other tree was something like 100 miles away.
> The Tree of Ténéré no longer exists: what happened to it?

Hit by a truck! 4 for Stephen.

> There were 4 decoys. If you like, for fun, but for no points,
> decode the rot13 for a question about each one.

> 11. Picture E shows Queen Amanishakheto's pyramid in Sudan.
> What happened to it?

It was demolished in the 1830s so "archeologist" Giuseppe Ferlini
could search more easily for treasures hidden inside it. (It was
a success. He found them. And took them to sell.) Stephen got this.

> 12. The formation in K collapsed in 2021. What country was it in?

(Darwin's Arch, Galapagos Is.), Ecuador. Nobody got this.

> 13. In what *city* is picture N, and what happened to change this
> natural formation?

(American Falls,) Niagara Falls, NY, as drawn in 1834. Nobody got this.

Numerous falls of rock over the following 100 years or so have left
a pile of rubble ("talus") that now reaches more than halfway up
the waterfall. Stephen gave the idea.

> 14. Either name the formation in picture O, or tell where in Quebec
> it is.

Percé Rock, Gaspé, Quebec, drawn in 1760. The second arch collapsed
in 1845. Nobody got this.

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. History: New Products of 1990

> A1. Which new line of cars from General Motors went into
> production in 1990?

Saturn. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> A2. Which version of Windows was released by Microsoft in 1990?
> Be specific.

3.0. 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> * B. Science: Astronomical Etymology

> B1. An exploding star is called a nova, supernova, or hypernova
> depending on the type of explosion. What does "nova"
> mean in Latin?

New. (Because if it was too dim to see before, it looks like a
new star.) 4 for everyone.

> B2. The word "planet" is derived from a Greek word that means
> what?

Wander. (Because, as seen from Earth, the other planets all change
their positions in relation to the constellations.) 4 for Dan Tilque,
Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> * C. Literature: Lord of the Rings

> C1. The task of the Fellowship of the Ring is to transport the
> One Ring to what specific location where it can be destroyed?

Mount Doom. (Or still more specifically, the Crack of Doom there.
Mordor was not specific enough.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> C2. How exactly does it happen that the One Ring is destroyed?

Gollum (Smeagol), "dancing like a mad thing" on the clifftop in his
ecstasy after stealing the Ring, missteps and falls into the pit of
lava with it. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> * D. Canadiana Geography: Long Rivers

> These questions refer to the rivers as named, not to their
> tributaries that may cross borders. For example, the Mississippi
> does not include the Missouri.

> D1. What is the longest river that is entirely in Canada?

Mackenzie. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> D2. What is the longest river that is entirely within BC?

Fraser. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> * E. Sports: Unusual Baseball Tactics

> E1. In 1951 the St. Louis Browns used a player they thought would
> be unusually hard to strike out. His name was Eddie Gaedel.
> Why did they think that?

He was, as they now say, a little person, so his strike zone was
very small. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

He was 3'7" (109 cm) high and his uniform number was the fraction 1/8:

http://www.baseballhistorycomesalive.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1-gaedel5.jpg

They only played him for one turn at bat, but he did get walked on
four pitches. And as soon as he reached base, another player was
substituted for him.

> E2. An eephus pitch is supposed to be unusually hard to hit.
> What's unusual about it?

The ball is thrown on a steep upward angle and aimed to cross the
plate at a similarly steep angle on the way back down. 4 for Stephen.

> * F. Entertainment: 1960s Game Show Hosts

> F1. Who was the original host of "Jeopardy!", starting in 1964?

Art Fleming. 4 for Joshua.

> F2. Who was the original host of "Password", starting in 1961?

Allen Ludden. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Ent Spo Mis Sci G+H Cha FIVE
Stephen Perry -- 36 40 40 40 40 40 200
Joshua Kreitzer 32 38 32 36 36 20 24 174
Dan Blum 28 28 32 36 32 16 20 156
Dan Tilque 8 12 28 36 32 12 32 140
Erland Sommarskog -- 4 20 8 24 8 12 72

Click here to read the complete article