A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion. -- Chinese proverb

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: former names, Nova Scotia

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: former names, Nova ScotiaMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: former names, Nova ScotiaDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: former names, Nova ScotiaDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: former names, Nova ScotiaErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: former names, Nova ScotiaPete Gayde
`- QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: former names, Nova ScotiaMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: former names, Nova Scotia

<Jfudnft9eocC3-v4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5815&group=rec.games.trivia#5815

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: former names, Nova Scotia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 22:58:39 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 22:58 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 6, Round 7 - Geography History - What's My Country's Name Again?

Several countries have changed their names during their history.
Often this is done to mark a significant change, such as a regime
change, secession, or a colony becoming independent. In each
case we give you the previous name, and you provide the current
internationally recognized name for the country. Today's boundaries
are not necessarily exactly the same as when the old name was used.

1. British Honduras.
2. Gold Coast.
3. Ceylon.
4. Siam.
5. Swaziland.
6. Burma.
7. Abyssinia.
8. Mesopotamia.
9. Upper Volta.
10. East Pakistan.

* Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Nova Scotia

Please see the handout: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g6r8/nova.pdf

1. Letter G indicates a bay about 5 × 8 km, which is enclosed
completely by the Halifax Regional Municipality. The bay
gives its name to the oceanographic institute on its shores.
Name the bay.

2. Name the geographical feature at L. It's a trough approximately
125 km long, between the North Mountain and South Mountain
ranges.

3. Name the lake at B.

4. Which letter designates Peggy's Cove, a tourist magnet because
of its picturesque rocks and lighthouse, near which Swissair
Flight 111 crashed in 1998?

5. What is the strait at O, separating Nova Scotia and New Brunswick
from PEI?

6. Where is the Fortress of Louisbourg, founded in 1713 and now
a National Historic Site?

7. Which letter shows the location of the Springhill Mine disaster?
(Actually there were three distinct disasters there, the most
recent of them in 1958.)

8. There is a university in the community at letter C -- which
university?

9. Identify the town of Yarmouth.

10. Name the 27 km strait at A, separating Cape Breton Island from
the rest of Nova Scotia.

So there were 5 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points.
decode the rot13, identify the five places named, and answer one
more question about one of them.

11. Zvanf ["zvahf"] Onfva.
12. Qvtol.
13. Abegu Flqarl.
14. Yharaoret.
15. Juvgr Uvyy.
16. Jung'f abgnoyr nobhg Juvgr Uvyy?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "No flames were used in the creation of
msb@vex.net | this message." -- Ray Depew

Re: QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: former names, Nova Scotia

<ul5ipb$g71$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5816&group=rec.games.trivia#5816

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 23:48:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 23:48 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Geography History - What's My Country's Name Again?

> 1. British Honduras.

Belize

> 2. Gold Coast.

Ghana

> 3. Ceylon.

Sri Lanka

> 4. Siam.

Thailand

> 5. Swaziland.

Eswatini

> 6. Burma.

Myanmar

> 7. Abyssinia.

Ethiopia

> 8. Mesopotamia.

Iraq

> 9. Upper Volta.

Burkina Faso

> 10. East Pakistan.

Bangladesh

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Nova Scotia

> 1. Letter G indicates a bay about 5 ? 8 km, which is enclosed
> completely by the Halifax Regional Municipality. The bay
> gives its name to the oceanographic institute on its shores.
> Name the bay.

Scripps

> 4. Which letter designates Peggy's Cove, a tourist magnet because
> of its picturesque rocks and lighthouse, near which Swissair
> Flight 111 crashed in 1998?

E; C

> 6. Where is the Fortress of Louisbourg, founded in 1713 and now
> a National Historic Site?

A; H

> 7. Which letter shows the location of the Springhill Mine disaster?
> (Actually there were three distinct disasters there, the most
> recent of them in 1958.)

N; C

> 9. Identify the town of Yarmouth.

J; K

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: former names, Nova Scotia

<ul5o1k$2smv9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5817&group=rec.games.trivia#5817

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:18:41 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 01:18 UTC

On 12/10/23 14:58, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Geography History - What's My Country's Name Again?
>
> Several countries have changed their names during their history.
> Often this is done to mark a significant change, such as a regime
> change, secession, or a colony becoming independent. In each
> case we give you the previous name, and you provide the current
> internationally recognized name for the country. Today's boundaries
> are not necessarily exactly the same as when the old name was used.
>
> 1. British Honduras.

Belize

> 2. Gold Coast.

Ghana

> 3. Ceylon.

Sri Lanka

> 4. Siam.

Thailand

> 5. Swaziland.

eSwatini

> 6. Burma.

Myanmar

> 7. Abyssinia.

Ethiopia

> 8. Mesopotamia.

Iraq

> 9. Upper Volta.

Niger

> 10. East Pakistan.

Bangladesh

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Nova Scotia
>
> Please see the handout: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g6r8/nova.pdf
>
> 1. Letter G indicates a bay about 5 × 8 km, which is enclosed
> completely by the Halifax Regional Municipality. The bay
> gives its name to the oceanographic institute on its shores.
> Name the bay.
>
> 2. Name the geographical feature at L. It's a trough approximately
> 125 km long, between the North Mountain and South Mountain
> ranges.
>
> 3. Name the lake at B.
>
> 4. Which letter designates Peggy's Cove, a tourist magnet because
> of its picturesque rocks and lighthouse, near which Swissair
> Flight 111 crashed in 1998?

K; E

> 5. What is the strait at O, separating Nova Scotia and New Brunswick
> from PEI?
>
> 6. Where is the Fortress of Louisbourg, founded in 1713 and now
> a National Historic Site?
>
> 7. Which letter shows the location of the Springhill Mine disaster?
> (Actually there were three distinct disasters there, the most
> recent of them in 1958.)

F; N

> 8. There is a university in the community at letter C -- which
> university?
>
> 9. Identify the town of Yarmouth.

> 10. Name the 27 km strait at A, separating Cape Breton Island from
> the rest of Nova Scotia.
>
> So there were 5 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points.
> decode the rot13, identify the five places named, and answer one
> more question about one of them.
>
> 11. Zvanf ["zvahf"] Onfva.
> 12. Qvtol.
> 13. Abegu Flqarl.
> 14. Yharaoret.
> 15. Juvgr Uvyy.
> 16. Jung'f abgnoyr nobhg Juvgr Uvyy?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: former names, Nova Scotia

<XnsB0D7DE47E39C9Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5818&group=rec.games.trivia#5818

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 21:51:03 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 20:51 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Geography History - What's My Country's Name Again?
>
> 1. British Honduras.

Belize

> 2. Gold Coast.

Ghana

> 3. Ceylon.

Sri Lanka

> 4. Siam.

Thailand

> 5. Swaziland.

eSwatini

> 6. Burma.

Myanmar

> 7. Abyssinia.

Ethiopia

> 8. Mesopotamia.

Iraq

> 9. Upper Volta.

Burkina Faso

> 10. East Pakistan.

Bangladesh

Re: QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: former names, Nova Scotia

<ulb078$3sael$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5819&group=rec.games.trivia#5819

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 19:08:55 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 01:08 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-30,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Geography History - What's My Country's Name Again?
>
> Several countries have changed their names during their history.
> Often this is done to mark a significant change, such as a regime
> change, secession, or a colony becoming independent. In each
> case we give you the previous name, and you provide the current
> internationally recognized name for the country. Today's boundaries
> are not necessarily exactly the same as when the old name was used.
>
> 1. British Honduras.

Belize

> 2. Gold Coast.

Senegal; Liberia

> 3. Ceylon.

Sri Lanka

> 4. Siam.

Thailand

> 5. Swaziland.

Lesotho

> 6. Burma.

Myanmar

> 7. Abyssinia.

Ethiopia

> 8. Mesopotamia.

Iraq

> 9. Upper Volta.

Burkina Faso

> 10. East Pakistan.

Bangladesh

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Nova Scotia
>
> Please see the handout: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g6r8/nova.pdf
>
> 1. Letter G indicates a bay about 5 × 8 km, which is enclosed
> completely by the Halifax Regional Municipality. The bay
> gives its name to the oceanographic institute on its shores.
> Name the bay.
>
> 2. Name the geographical feature at L. It's a trough approximately
> 125 km long, between the North Mountain and South Mountain
> ranges.
>
> 3. Name the lake at B.
>
> 4. Which letter designates Peggy's Cove, a tourist magnet because
> of its picturesque rocks and lighthouse, near which Swissair
> Flight 111 crashed in 1998?

K; E

> 5. What is the strait at O, separating Nova Scotia and New Brunswick
> from PEI?
>
> 6. Where is the Fortress of Louisbourg, founded in 1713 and now
> a National Historic Site?

D; E

> 7. Which letter shows the location of the Springhill Mine disaster?
> (Actually there were three distinct disasters there, the most
> recent of them in 1958.)
>
> 8. There is a university in the community at letter C -- which
> university?
>
> 9. Identify the town of Yarmouth.

I; H

> 10. Name the 27 km strait at A, separating Cape Breton Island from
> the rest of Nova Scotia.
>
> So there were 5 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points.
> decode the rot13, identify the five places named, and answer one
> more question about one of them.
>
> 11. Zvanf ["zvahf"] Onfva.
> 12. Qvtol.
> 13. Abegu Flqarl.
> 14. Yharaoret.
> 15. Juvgr Uvyy.
> 16. Jung'f abgnoyr nobhg Juvgr Uvyy?

Pete Gayde

QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: former names, Nova Scotia

<Ceqcnc9XNJo6EOb4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5820&group=rec.games.trivia#5820

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: former names, Nova Scotia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 23:20:07 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 23:20 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-10-30,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I did not write either of these rounds.

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Geography History - What's My Country's Name Again?

> Several countries have changed their names during their history.
> Often this is done to mark a significant change, such as a regime
> change, secession, or a colony becoming independent. In each
> case we give you the previous name, and you provide the current
> internationally recognized name for the country. Today's boundaries
> are not necessarily exactly the same as when the old name was used.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. British Honduras.

Belize. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland,
and Pete.

> 2. Gold Coast.

Ghana. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 3. Ceylon.

Sri Lanka. 4 for everyone.

> 4. Siam.

Thailand. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Swaziland.

Eswatini ["ESS-wah-TEE-nee"], also spelled eSwatini. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 6. Burma.

Myanmar. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Abyssinia.

Ethiopia. 4 for everyone.

> 8. Mesopotamia.

Iraq. 4 for everyone.

> 9. Upper Volta.

Burkina Faso ["bur-KEE-na FAH-so"]. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
and Pete.

> 10. East Pakistan.

Bangladesh. 4 for everyone.

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Nova Scotia

> Please see the handout: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g6r8/nova.pdf

> 1. Letter G indicates a bay about 5 × 8 km, which is enclosed
> completely by the Halifax Regional Municipality. The bay
> gives its name to the oceanographic institute on its shores.
> Name the bay.

Bedford Basin.

> 2. Name the geographical feature at L. It's a trough approximately
> 125 km long, between the North Mountain and South Mountain
> ranges.

Annapolis Valley.

> 3. Name the lake at B.

Bras D'or Lake.

> 4. Which letter designates Peggy's Cove, a tourist magnet because
> of its picturesque rocks and lighthouse, near which Swissair
> Flight 111 crashed in 1998?

H.

> 5. What is the strait at O, separating Nova Scotia and New Brunswick
> from PEI?

Northumberland Strait.

> 6. Where is the Fortress of Louisbourg, founded in 1713 and now
> a National Historic Site?

D. 2 for Pete.

> 7. Which letter shows the location of the Springhill Mine disaster?
> (Actually there were three distinct disasters there, the most
> recent of them in 1958.)

N. 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Dan Tilque.

> 8. There is a university in the community at letter C -- which
> university?

St. Francis Xavier. (In Antigonish.)

> 9. Identify the town of Yarmouth.

J. 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Name the 27 km strait at A, separating Cape Breton Island from
> the rest of Nova Scotia.

Strait of Canso.

> So there were 5 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points.
> decode the rot13, identify the five places named, and answer one
> more question about one of them.

Nobody tried these.

> 11. Minas ["minus"] Basin.

M.

> 12. Digby.

K.

> 13. North Sydney.

E.

> 14. Lunenberg.

I.

> 15. White Hill.

F.

> 16. What's notable about White Hill?

It's the highest point in the province.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Ent Sci His Geo Can FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 24 32 16 39 40 0 135
Dan Blum 24 24 28 32 40 6 124
Dan Tilque 8 4 24 28 36 6 96
Erland Sommarskog 8 0 8 39 40 0 95
Pete Gayde 4 16 11 16 32 2 75

--
Mark Brader | "For the stronger we our houses do build,
Toronto | The less chance we have of being killed."