A compliment is something like a kiss through a veil. -- Victor Hugo

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: movie images, food lit

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: movie images, food litMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: movie images, food litDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: movie images, food litJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: movie images, food litDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: movie images, food litswp
`- QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: movie images, food litMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: movie images, food lit

<yN-cncoF_c9WRx74nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5846&group=rec.games.trivia#5846

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: movie images, food lit
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:27:23 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:27 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 7, Round 4 - Entertainment - Well-Known Movie, Tough Image

Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g7r4/movi.pdf

With apologies to sporcle.com, which this round is mostly stolen
from, each of the numbered images is from a well-known movie.
In each case we'll give you the picture letter and the credited
director. You must name the movie.

As usual here, I've rearranged the round in order of the handout.
There were 6 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others:
answer them if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Picture A, director Victor Fleming.
2. Picture B, directors Gary Trousdale [rhymes with "cow's dale"]
and Kirk Wise.
3. Picture C, director Ridley Scott.
4. Picture D, director Stanley Kubrick.
5. Picture E (decoy), director Francis Lawrence.
6. Picture F, director Roland Emmerich.
7. Picture G (decoy), director Martin Campbell.
8. Picture H (decoy), director Peter Weir.
9. Picture I (decoy), director Robert Zemeckis.
10. Picture J, director James Cameron.
11. Picture K (decoy), director Jonathan Demme.
12. Picture L (decoy), director Ang Lee.
13. Picture M, director Tim Burton.
14. Picture N, director Peter Jackson.
15. Picture O, directors Joel and Ethan Coen.
16. Picture P, director Alfred Hitchcock.

* Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - Food Writing

1. What is the title of Frances Moore Lappé's 1971 cookbook
written from an environmentalist point of view and emphasizing
vegetarianism?

2. Who was the Victorian journalist and housewife whose name became
a soubriquet for cooking competence, despite her death at age 28
-- largely on the strength of her "Book of Household Management",
published in 1861? It's apparently still in print, at least
in abridged form.

3. What was the title of Julia Child's first book, co-written with
Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle ["bear-TOLL"], the first
volume of which was published in 1961?

4. Name the American journalist who wrote "The Omnivore's Dilemma"
and is known for the mantra "Eat food -- not too much --
mostly plants." More recently he wrote about his experiences
with therapeutic psychedelics.

5. Perhaps the most popular American cookbook, for its emphasis on
making cooking accessible to middle-class women, was written by
Irma Rombauer and first published in 1936. It has had 8 more
editions since then, the latest one updated by her grandson.
Name it.

6. Mark Kurlanksy has written many books on topics as diverse as
the history of paper and a biography of baseball player Hank
Greenberg. One of Kurlanksy's food-related books is subtitled
"A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World". The fish
in question was a major commercial species in this country up
until the early 1990s. Name the fish.

7. Jean Paré ["Gene Pairy"] was an Alberta caterer who in her
mid-50s published the first in a series of cookbooks that grew to
contain around 200 volumes with tens of millions of copies sold.
Name the series.

8. Name the 2000 tell-all book by Anthony Bourdain ["bore-DANE"]
about the reality of working in high-end restaurants.

9. Speaking of restaurant reality, George Orwell was not primarily
known as a food writer (though he did have some very specific
ideas on the proper preparation of tea); but he annoyed some
French restaurateurs with his accounts of what he observed behind
the scenes when he worked as a "plongeur", or dishwasher --
in what book?

10. This food writer and broadcaster is the daughter of a baron
who was a government minister under Margaret Thatcher (though
she herself has admitted to voting Labour at least once).
She claims not to be a chef, and her appeal seems to derive
from her evident pleasure in the act of cooking and her own
personal charisma -- to say nothing of good looks. Name her.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Computers may be very, very fast,
msb@vex.net | but they aren't very, very smart."

Re: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: movie images, food lit

<um2iqf$nbl$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5847&group=rec.games.trivia#5847

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: movie images, food lit
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:47:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:47 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Entertainment - Well-Known Movie, Tough Image

> 1. Picture A, director Victor Fleming.

The Wizard of Oz

> 2. Picture B, directors Gary Trousdale [rhymes with "cow's dale"]
> and Kirk Wise.

Shrek; Beauty and the Beast

> 3. Picture C, director Ridley Scott.

Gladiator

> 4. Picture D, director Stanley Kubrick.

Eyes Wide Shut

> 10. Picture J, director James Cameron.

> 13. Picture M, director Tim Burton.

Edward Scissorhands

> 14. Picture N, director Peter Jackson.

The Fellowship of the Ring

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - Food Writing

> 1. What is the title of Frances Moore Lapp?'s 1971 cookbook
> written from an environmentalist point of view and emphasizing
> vegetarianism?

Moosewood Cookbook

> 2. Who was the Victorian journalist and housewife whose name became
> a soubriquet for cooking competence, despite her death at age 28
> -- largely on the strength of her "Book of Household Management",
> published in 1861? It's apparently still in print, at least
> in abridged form.

Mrs. Beeton

> 3. What was the title of Julia Child's first book, co-written with
> Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle ["bear-TOLL"], the first
> volume of which was published in 1961?

The Art of French Cooking

> 4. Name the American journalist who wrote "The Omnivore's Dilemma"
> and is known for the mantra "Eat food -- not too much --
> mostly plants." More recently he wrote about his experiences
> with therapeutic psychedelics.

Pollan

> 5. Perhaps the most popular American cookbook, for its emphasis on
> making cooking accessible to middle-class women, was written by
> Irma Rombauer and first published in 1936. It has had 8 more
> editions since then, the latest one updated by her grandson.
> Name it.

The Joy of Cooking

> 6. Mark Kurlanksy has written many books on topics as diverse as
> the history of paper and a biography of baseball player Hank
> Greenberg. One of Kurlanksy's food-related books is subtitled
> "A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World". The fish
> in question was a major commercial species in this country up
> until the early 1990s. Name the fish.

cod

> 8. Name the 2000 tell-all book by Anthony Bourdain ["bore-DANE"]
> about the reality of working in high-end restaurants.

Kitchen Confidential

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: movie images, food lit

<47f5766b-1bb9-4b7e-a362-bd35937b9daan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5848&group=rec.games.trivia#5848

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 21:01:35 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 05:01 UTC

On Thursday, December 21, 2023 at 12:27:35 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 7, Round 4 - Entertainment - Well-Known Movie, Tough Image
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g7r4/movi.pdf
>
> With apologies to sporcle.com, which this round is mostly stolen
> from, each of the numbered images is from a well-known movie.
> In each case we'll give you the picture letter and the credited
> director. You must name the movie.
>
> As usual here, I've rearranged the round in order of the handout.
> There were 6 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others:
> answer them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Picture A, director Victor Fleming.

"The Wizard of Oz"

> 2. Picture B, directors Gary Trousdale [rhymes with "cow's dale"]
> and Kirk Wise.

"Beauty and the Beast"

> 3. Picture C, director Ridley Scott.

"Kingdom of Heaven"

> 4. Picture D, director Stanley Kubrick.

"Eyes Wide Shut"

> 6. Picture F, director Roland Emmerich.

"Independence Day"

> 10. Picture J, director James Cameron.

"The Abyss"

> 11. Picture K (decoy), director Jonathan Demme.

"The Silence of the Lambs"

> 13. Picture M, director Tim Burton.

"Edward Scissorhands"

> 14. Picture N, director Peter Jackson.

"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"

> 15. Picture O, directors Joel and Ethan Coen.

"No Country for Old Men"

> 16. Picture P, director Alfred Hitchcock.

"Psycho"

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - Food Writing
>
> 1. What is the title of Frances Moore Lappé's 1971 cookbook
> written from an environmentalist point of view and emphasizing
> vegetarianism?

"Diet for a Small Planet"

> 2. Who was the Victorian journalist and housewife whose name became
> a soubriquet for cooking competence, despite her death at age 28
> -- largely on the strength of her "Book of Household Management",
> published in 1861? It's apparently still in print, at least
> in abridged form.

Fanny Farmer

> 3. What was the title of Julia Child's first book, co-written with
> Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle ["bear-TOLL"], the first
> volume of which was published in 1961?

"Mastering the Art of French Cookery"

> 5. Perhaps the most popular American cookbook, for its emphasis on
> making cooking accessible to middle-class women, was written by
> Irma Rombauer and first published in 1936. It has had 8 more
> editions since then, the latest one updated by her grandson.
> Name it.

"The Joy of Cooking"
> 6. Mark Kurlanksy has written many books on topics as diverse as
> the history of paper and a biography of baseball player Hank
> Greenberg. One of Kurlanksy's food-related books is subtitled
> "A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World". The fish
> in question was a major commercial species in this country up
> until the early 1990s. Name the fish.

cod

> 8. Name the 2000 tell-all book by Anthony Bourdain ["bore-DANE"]
> about the reality of working in high-end restaurants.

"Kitchen Confidential"
> 9. Speaking of restaurant reality, George Orwell was not primarily
> known as a food writer (though he did have some very specific
> ideas on the proper preparation of tea); but he annoyed some
> French restaurateurs with his accounts of what he observed behind
> the scenes when he worked as a "plongeur", or dishwasher --
> in what book?

"Down and Out in Paris and London"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: movie images, food lit

<um3drt$1fst1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5849&group=rec.games.trivia#5849

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:28:58 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 07:28 UTC

On 12/20/23 22:27, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Entertainment - Well-Known Movie, Tough Image
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g7r4/movi.pdf
>
> With apologies to sporcle.com, which this round is mostly stolen
> from, each of the numbered images is from a well-known movie.
> In each case we'll give you the picture letter and the credited
> director. You must name the movie.
>
> As usual here, I've rearranged the round in order of the handout.
> There were 6 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others:
> answer them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Picture A, director Victor Fleming.
> 2. Picture B, directors Gary Trousdale [rhymes with "cow's dale"]
> and Kirk Wise.
> 3. Picture C, director Ridley Scott.
> 4. Picture D, director Stanley Kubrick.
> 5. Picture E (decoy), director Francis Lawrence.
> 6. Picture F, director Roland Emmerich.
> 7. Picture G (decoy), director Martin Campbell.
> 8. Picture H (decoy), director Peter Weir.
> 9. Picture I (decoy), director Robert Zemeckis.
> 10. Picture J, director James Cameron.

> 11. Picture K (decoy), director Jonathan Demme.
> 12. Picture L (decoy), director Ang Lee.
> 13. Picture M, director Tim Burton.
> 14. Picture N, director Peter Jackson.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

> 15. Picture O, directors Joel and Ethan Coen.
> 16. Picture P, director Alfred Hitchcock.
>

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - Food Writing
>
> 1. What is the title of Frances Moore Lappé's 1971 cookbook
> written from an environmentalist point of view and emphasizing
> vegetarianism?
>
> 2. Who was the Victorian journalist and housewife whose name became
> a soubriquet for cooking competence, despite her death at age 28
> -- largely on the strength of her "Book of Household Management",
> published in 1861? It's apparently still in print, at least
> in abridged form.
>
> 3. What was the title of Julia Child's first book, co-written with
> Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle ["bear-TOLL"], the first
> volume of which was published in 1961?
>
> 4. Name the American journalist who wrote "The Omnivore's Dilemma"
> and is known for the mantra "Eat food -- not too much --
> mostly plants." More recently he wrote about his experiences
> with therapeutic psychedelics.
>
> 5. Perhaps the most popular American cookbook, for its emphasis on
> making cooking accessible to middle-class women, was written by
> Irma Rombauer and first published in 1936. It has had 8 more
> editions since then, the latest one updated by her grandson.
> Name it.
>
> 6. Mark Kurlanksy has written many books on topics as diverse as
> the history of paper and a biography of baseball player Hank
> Greenberg. One of Kurlanksy's food-related books is subtitled
> "A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World". The fish
> in question was a major commercial species in this country up
> until the early 1990s. Name the fish.

Cod

> 7. Jean Paré ["Gene Pairy"] was an Alberta caterer who in her
> mid-50s published the first in a series of cookbooks that grew to
> contain around 200 volumes with tens of millions of copies sold.
> Name the series.
>
> 8. Name the 2000 tell-all book by Anthony Bourdain ["bore-DANE"]
> about the reality of working in high-end restaurants.
>
> 9. Speaking of restaurant reality, George Orwell was not primarily
> known as a food writer (though he did have some very specific
> ideas on the proper preparation of tea); but he annoyed some
> French restaurateurs with his accounts of what he observed behind
> the scenes when he worked as a "plongeur", or dishwasher --
> in what book?
>
> 10. This food writer and broadcaster is the daughter of a baron
> who was a government minister under Margaret Thatcher (though
> she herself has admitted to voting Labour at least once).
> She claims not to be a chef, and her appeal seems to derive
> from her evident pleasure in the act of cooking and her own
> personal charisma -- to say nothing of good looks. Name her.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: movie images, food lit

<ef723f8d-9957-4c3d-bffb-22ad7166ae3fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5850&group=rec.games.trivia#5850

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:41:59 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 22:41 UTC

On Thursday, December 21, 2023 at 1:27:35 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-06,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Entertainment - Well-Known Movie, Tough Image
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g7r4/movi.pdf
>
> With apologies to sporcle.com, which this round is mostly stolen
> from, each of the numbered images is from a well-known movie.
> In each case we'll give you the picture letter and the credited
> director. You must name the movie.
>
> As usual here, I've rearranged the round in order of the handout.
> There were 6 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others:
> answer them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Picture A, director Victor Fleming.

the wizard of oz

> 2. Picture B, directors Gary Trousdale [rhymes with "cow's dale"]
> and Kirk Wise.

beauty and the beast?

> 3. Picture C, director Ridley Scott.

gladiator

> 4. Picture D, director Stanley Kubrick.

the shining

> 5. Picture E (decoy), director Francis Lawrence.

the hunger games: catching fire

> 6. Picture F, director Roland Emmerich.

independence day

> 7. Picture G (decoy), director Martin Campbell.

casino royale

> 8. Picture H (decoy), director Peter Weir.

the truman show?

> 9. Picture I (decoy), director Robert Zemeckis.

forrest gump

> 10. Picture J, director James Cameron.

> 11. Picture K (decoy), director Jonathan Demme.

the silence of the lambs

> 12. Picture L (decoy), director Ang Lee.

life of pi

> 13. Picture M, director Tim Burton.

edward scissorhands

> 14. Picture N, director Peter Jackson.

the lord of the rings: the fellowship of the ring

> 15. Picture O, directors Joel and Ethan Coen.

no country for old men

> 16. Picture P, director Alfred Hitchcock.

psycho

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - Food Writing
>
> 1. What is the title of Frances Moore Lappé's 1971 cookbook
> written from an environmentalist point of view and emphasizing
> vegetarianism?

cooking for a smaller planet

> 2. Who was the Victorian journalist and housewife whose name became
> a soubriquet for cooking competence, despite her death at age 28
> -- largely on the strength of her "Book of Household Management",
> published in 1861? It's apparently still in print, at least
> in abridged form.

mrs beeton

> 3. What was the title of Julia Child's first book, co-written with
> Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle ["bear-TOLL"], the first
> volume of which was published in 1961?

mastering the art of french cooking

> 4. Name the American journalist who wrote "The Omnivore's Dilemma"
> and is known for the mantra "Eat food -- not too much --
> mostly plants." More recently he wrote about his experiences
> with therapeutic psychedelics.

mike pollan

> 5. Perhaps the most popular American cookbook, for its emphasis on
> making cooking accessible to middle-class women, was written by
> Irma Rombauer and first published in 1936. It has had 8 more
> editions since then, the latest one updated by her grandson.
> Name it.

the joy of cooking

> 6. Mark Kurlanksy has written many books on topics as diverse as
> the history of paper and a biography of baseball player Hank
> Greenberg. One of Kurlanksy's food-related books is subtitled
> "A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World". The fish
> in question was a major commercial species in this country up
> until the early 1990s. Name the fish.

cod

> 7. Jean Paré ["Gene Pairy"] was an Alberta caterer who in her
> mid-50s published the first in a series of cookbooks that grew to
> contain around 200 volumes with tens of millions of copies sold.
> Name the series.

company's coming?

> 8. Name the 2000 tell-all book by Anthony Bourdain ["bore-DANE"]
> about the reality of working in high-end restaurants.

kitchen confidential

> 9. Speaking of restaurant reality, George Orwell was not primarily
> known as a food writer (though he did have some very specific
> ideas on the proper preparation of tea); but he annoyed some
> French restaurateurs with his accounts of what he observed behind
> the scenes when he worked as a "plongeur", or dishwasher --
> in what book?

the spike? [just a wild guess its in his first book]

> 10. This food writer and broadcaster is the daughter of a baron
> who was a government minister under Margaret Thatcher (though
> she herself has admitted to voting Labour at least once).
> She claims not to be a chef, and her appeal seems to derive
> from her evident pleasure in the act of cooking and her own
> personal charisma -- to say nothing of good looks. Name her.

nigella lawson?

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "Computers may be very, very fast,
> m...@vex.net | but they aren't very, very smart."
> -- after Steve Summit
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: movie images, food lit

<4eidnXEDe8uBbxr4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5851&group=rec.games.trivia#5851

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: movie images, food lit
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 08:55:56 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 08:55 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-06,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

Or stole it, really. Yeah, that one.

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Entertainment - Well-Known Movie, Tough Image

> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g7r4/movi.pdf

> With apologies to sporcle.com, which this round is mostly stolen
> from, each of the numbered images is from a well-known movie.
> In each case we'll give you the picture letter and the credited
> director. You must name the movie.

> As usual here, I've rearranged the round in order of the handout.
> There were 6 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others:
> answer them if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Picture A, director Victor Fleming.

"The Wizard of Oz" (1939). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 2. Picture B, directors Gary Trousdale [rhymes with "cow's dale"]
> and Kirk Wise.

"Beauty and the Beast" (1991). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Picture C, director Ridley Scott.

"Gladiator" (2000). 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 4. Picture D, director Stanley Kubrick.

"The Shining" (1980). Stephen got this.

> 5. Picture E (decoy), director Francis Lawrence.

"The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" (2013). Stephen got this.

> 6. Picture F, director Roland Emmerich.

"Independence Day" (1996). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 7. Picture G (decoy), director Martin Campbell.

"Casino Royale" (1996). Stephen got this.

> 8. Picture H (decoy), director Peter Weir.

"The Truman Show" (1998). Stephen got this.

> 9. Picture I (decoy), director Robert Zemeckis.

"Forrest Gump" (1994). Stephen got this.

> 10. Picture J, director James Cameron.

"Avatar" (2009). 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 11. Picture K (decoy), director Jonathan Demme.

"The Silence of the Lambs" (1991). Joshua and Stephen got this.

> 12. Picture L (decoy), director Ang Lee.

"Life of Pi" (2012). Stephen got this.

> 13. Picture M, director Tim Burton.

"Edward Scissorhands" (1990). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 14. Picture N, director Peter Jackson.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" (2001).
(Full title or "Lord of the Rings 1" required.) 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 15. Picture O, directors Joel and Ethan Coen.

"No Country for Old Men" (2007). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 16. Picture P, director Alfred Hitchcock.

"Psycho" (1960). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - Food Writing

> 1. What is the title of Frances Moore Lappé's 1971 cookbook
> written from an environmentalist point of view and emphasizing
> vegetarianism?

"Diet for a Small Planet". 4 for Joshua.

> 2. Who was the Victorian journalist and housewife whose name became
> a soubriquet for cooking competence, despite her death at age 28
> -- largely on the strength of her "Book of Household Management",
> published in 1861? It's apparently still in print, at least
> in abridged form.

Mrs. (Isabella) Beeton. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 3. What was the title of Julia Child's first book, co-written with
> Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle ["bear-TOLL"], the first
> volume of which was published in 1961?

"Mastering the Art of French Cooking". 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum
and Joshua.

> 4. Name the American journalist who wrote "The Omnivore's Dilemma"
> and is known for the mantra "Eat food -- not too much --
> mostly plants." More recently he wrote about his experiences
> with therapeutic psychedelics.

Michael Pollan. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 5. Perhaps the most popular American cookbook, for its emphasis on
> making cooking accessible to middle-class women, was written by
> Irma Rombauer and first published in 1936. It has had 8 more
> editions since then, the latest one updated by her grandson.
> Name it.

"The Joy of Cooking". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 6. Mark Kurlanksy has written many books on topics as diverse as
> the history of paper and a biography of baseball player Hank
> Greenberg. One of Kurlanksy's food-related books is subtitled
> "A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World". The fish
> in question was a major commercial species in this country up
> until the early 1990s. Name the fish.

Cod. (And that's also the book's main title.) 4 for everyone --
Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 7. Jean Paré ["Gene Pairy"] was an Alberta caterer who in her
> mid-50s published the first in a series of cookbooks that grew to
> contain around 200 volumes with tens of millions of copies sold.
> Name the series.

"Company's Coming". 4 for Stephen.

> 8. Name the 2000 tell-all book by Anthony Bourdain ["bore-DANE"]
> about the reality of working in high-end restaurants.

"Kitchen Confidential". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 9. Speaking of restaurant reality, George Orwell was not primarily
> known as a food writer (though he did have some very specific
> ideas on the proper preparation of tea); but he annoyed some
> French restaurateurs with his accounts of what he observed behind
> the scenes when he worked as a "plongeur", or dishwasher --
> in what book?

"Down and Out in Paris and London". 4 for Joshua.

> 10. This food writer and broadcaster is the daughter of a baron
> who was a government minister under Margaret Thatcher (though
> she herself has admitted to voting Labour at least once).
> She claims not to be a chef, and her appeal seems to derive
> from her evident pleasure in the act of cooking and her own
> personal charisma -- to say nothing of good looks. Name her.

Nigella Lawson. (Nigel Lawson rose to Chancellor of the Exchequer.)
4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Can Ent Lit
Stephen Perry 32 36 36 32 136
Joshua Kreitzer 0 28 28 23 79
Dan Blum 9 15 18 23 65
Erland Sommarskog 4 23 -- -- 27
Pete Gayde 14 8 -- -- 22
Dan Tilque 0 8 8 4 20

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Mark is probably right about something,
msb@vex.net | but I forget what" -- Rayan Zachariassen