All science is either physics or stamp collecting. -- Ernest Rutherford

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10 answers: meteorology, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge roundMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge roundPete Gayde
+- QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge roundDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge roundDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge roundswp
+* QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
|`- QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge roundMark Brader
`- QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10 answers: meteorology, challenge roundMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge round

<MSSdnZ46iLal-hP4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5870&group=rec.games.trivia#5870

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge round
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 06:29:12 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 06:29 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote most of one of these rounds.

** Game 7, Round 9 - Science - Meteorology

This round is based on the "Weather and Meteorology Glossary"
on the Government of Canada web site.

1. What is the 0-to-12-point scale used to estimate the force of
marine wind?

2. What is a wind with a speed of 34 to 47 knots inclusive, or
<answer 1> force 8 or 9, named?

3. What is a tornado that occurs over water called?

4. If the forces of the atmosphere, such as air pressure or wind,
cause the observed sea level to be different from the predicted
tide, what is this difference called? It may be positive or
negative. This phenomenon is often associated with hurricanes.

5. What term describes a relatively flat piece of sea ice that is
anywhere from 20 meters across up to 10 km or more?

6. What does the 5-point Saffir-Simpson scale measure?

7. What is the internationally recognized unit used by Environment
and Climate Change Canada's Meteorological Service for measuring
atmospheric pressure?

8. What term refers to the breaking away of a mass of ice from an
ice wall, ice front, or iceberg?

9. When mountain ranges are exposed to strong prevailing crosswinds,
this may cause clouds and precipitation on the windward side.
Conversely, warm and dry winds may result on the leeward or
sheltered side of the mountains -- what is the term used in
Canada for those winds?

10. What term refers to an elongated atmospheric area of relatively
high pressure, extending from the center of a high-pressure
region? It is the opposite of a trough.

** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Science: The Cat

A1. How many claws does a typical house cat have?

A2. Calico cats are the ones with three colors of fur in patches:
white, black, and orange. Almost all calico cats have what
other characteristic in common?

* B. Sports: The Big Train

B1. This Canadian hockey, football, and lacrosse player -- and
politician -- lived 1900-54, and was nicknamed "the Big
Train". Name him.

B2. This American baseball player and manager -- and politician
-- lived 1887-1946, and was nicknamed "the Big Train".
Name him.

* C. Geography: The Big Island

"Biggest island" means largest in area.

C1. What is the biggest island in Canada?
C2. What is the biggest island in the 50 states of the US?

* D. Canadiana History: 1837

D1. Who was the leader of the Upper Canada Rebellion of 1837?
D2. Who was the leader of the Lower Canada Rebellion of 1837?

* E. Miscellaneous: Acronymic Businesses

E1. The brand name TASER for an electroshock weapon originated
as an acronym inspired by the title of a science-fiction
novel from 1911. Either give the title of the novel or
else the expansion of TASER.

E2. The brand name FIAT for cars is an acronym in Italian.
Tell what it stands for either in Italian, or in English,
where the letters would come out in the order TIAF or IAFT.

* F. History: The Lifetime of the Bad Guy

At least, these two are often thought of as bad guys. Not everyone
agrees.

F1. Name any year when Ivan the Terrible was alive.
F2. Name any year when the emperor Nero was alive.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
fnvq Unjnvv sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq anzr gur fcrpvsvp vfynaq.
--
Mark Brader | "It doesn't have to actually *be* special, but you have
Toronto | to make people think it is, and sometimes the easiest way

Re: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge round

<umlqro$oia8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5871&group=rec.games.trivia#5871

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 01:01:11 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 07:01 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-06,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote most of one of these rounds.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Science - Meteorology
>
> This round is based on the "Weather and Meteorology Glossary"
> on the Government of Canada web site.
>
> 1. What is the 0-to-12-point scale used to estimate the force of
> marine wind?
>
> 2. What is a wind with a speed of 34 to 47 knots inclusive, or
> <answer 1> force 8 or 9, named?
>
> 3. What is a tornado that occurs over water called?

Waterspout

> 4. If the forces of the atmosphere, such as air pressure or wind,
> cause the observed sea level to be different from the predicted
> tide, what is this difference called? It may be positive or
> negative. This phenomenon is often associated with hurricanes.
>
> 5. What term describes a relatively flat piece of sea ice that is
> anywhere from 20 meters across up to 10 km or more?
>
> 6. What does the 5-point Saffir-Simpson scale measure?
>
> 7. What is the internationally recognized unit used by Environment
> and Climate Change Canada's Meteorological Service for measuring
> atmospheric pressure?
>
> 8. What term refers to the breaking away of a mass of ice from an
> ice wall, ice front, or iceberg?
>
> 9. When mountain ranges are exposed to strong prevailing crosswinds,
> this may cause clouds and precipitation on the windward side.
> Conversely, warm and dry winds may result on the leeward or
> sheltered side of the mountains -- what is the term used in
> Canada for those winds?
>
> 10. What term refers to an elongated atmospheric area of relatively
> high pressure, extending from the center of a high-pressure
> region? It is the opposite of a trough.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Science: The Cat
>
> A1. How many claws does a typical house cat have?
>
> A2. Calico cats are the ones with three colors of fur in patches:
> white, black, and orange. Almost all calico cats have what
> other characteristic in common?
>

> * B. Sports: The Big Train
>
> B1. This Canadian hockey, football, and lacrosse player -- and
> politician -- lived 1900-54, and was nicknamed "the Big
> Train". Name him.

Conacher

> B2. This American baseball player and manager -- and politician
> -- lived 1887-1946, and was nicknamed "the Big Train".
> Name him.

Walter Johnson

> * C. Geography: The Big Island
>
> "Biggest island" means largest in area.
>
> C1. What is the biggest island in Canada?

Baffin

> C2. What is the biggest island in the 50 states of the US?

Kodiak

> * D. Canadiana History: 1837
>
> D1. Who was the leader of the Upper Canada Rebellion of 1837?
> D2. Who was the leader of the Lower Canada Rebellion of 1837?
>

> * E. Miscellaneous: Acronymic Businesses
>
> E1. The brand name TASER for an electroshock weapon originated
> as an acronym inspired by the title of a science-fiction
> novel from 1911. Either give the title of the novel or
> else the expansion of TASER.
>
> E2. The brand name FIAT for cars is an acronym in Italian.
> Tell what it stands for either in Italian, or in English,
> where the letters would come out in the order TIAF or IAFT.
>

> * F. History: The Lifetime of the Bad Guy
>
> At least, these two are often thought of as bad guys. Not everyone
> agrees.
>
> F1. Name any year when Ivan the Terrible was alive.

1400; 1450

> F2. Name any year when the emperor Nero was alive.

70 A.D.

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq Unjnvv sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq anzr gur fcrpvsvp vfynaq.

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge round

<umls8r$onfd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5872&group=rec.games.trivia#5872

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 23:25:12 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 07:25 UTC

On 12/28/23 22:29, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Science - Meteorology
>
> This round is based on the "Weather and Meteorology Glossary"
> on the Government of Canada web site.
>
> 1. What is the 0-to-12-point scale used to estimate the force of
> marine wind?

Beaufort scale

> 2. What is a wind with a speed of 34 to 47 knots inclusive, or
> <answer 1> force 8 or 9, named?

stiff breeze

> 3. What is a tornado that occurs over water called?

waterspout

> 4. If the forces of the atmosphere, such as air pressure or wind,
> cause the observed sea level to be different from the predicted
> tide, what is this difference called? It may be positive or
> negative. This phenomenon is often associated with hurricanes.

surge

> 5. What term describes a relatively flat piece of sea ice that is
> anywhere from 20 meters across up to 10 km or more?

floe

> 6. What does the 5-point Saffir-Simpson scale measure?
>
> 7. What is the internationally recognized unit used by Environment
> and Climate Change Canada's Meteorological Service for measuring
> atmospheric pressure?

kilo Pascal

> 8. What term refers to the breaking away of a mass of ice from an
> ice wall, ice front, or iceberg?

calving

> 9. When mountain ranges are exposed to strong prevailing crosswinds,
> this may cause clouds and precipitation on the windward side.
> Conversely, warm and dry winds may result on the leeward or
> sheltered side of the mountains -- what is the term used in
> Canada for those winds?

Chinook

> 10. What term refers to an elongated atmospheric area of relatively
> high pressure, extending from the center of a high-pressure
> region? It is the opposite of a trough.

ridge

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Science: The Cat
>
> A1. How many claws does a typical house cat have?

18

> A2. Calico cats are the ones with three colors of fur in patches:
> white, black, and orange. Almost all calico cats have what
> other characteristic in common?

female

> * B. Sports: The Big Train
>
> B1. This Canadian hockey, football, and lacrosse player -- and
> politician -- lived 1900-54, and was nicknamed "the Big
> Train". Name him.
>
> B2. This American baseball player and manager -- and politician
> -- lived 1887-1946, and was nicknamed "the Big Train".
> Name him.
>

> * C. Geography: The Big Island
>
> "Biggest island" means largest in area.
>
> C1. What is the biggest island in Canada?

Baffin Island

> C2. What is the biggest island in the 50 states of the US?

big island of Hawaii

> * D. Canadiana History: 1837
>
> D1. Who was the leader of the Upper Canada Rebellion of 1837?
> D2. Who was the leader of the Lower Canada Rebellion of 1837?
>

> * E. Miscellaneous: Acronymic Businesses
>
> E1. The brand name TASER for an electroshock weapon originated
> as an acronym inspired by the title of a science-fiction
> novel from 1911. Either give the title of the novel or
> else the expansion of TASER.

Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle

> E2. The brand name FIAT for cars is an acronym in Italian.
> Tell what it stands for either in Italian, or in English,
> where the letters would come out in the order TIAF or IAFT.

Fix It Again Tomorrow

> * F. History: The Lifetime of the Bad Guy
>
> At least, these two are often thought of as bad guys. Not everyone
> agrees.
>
> F1. Name any year when Ivan the Terrible was alive.

1722 CE

> F2. Name any year when the emperor Nero was alive.

32 CE

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq Unjnvv sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq anzr gur fcrpvsvp vfynaq.

Hawaii *is* the name of the island, dammit. OK, OK, I'll do it.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge round

<ummqh0$s74$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5873&group=rec.games.trivia#5873

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:01:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:01 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Science - Meteorology

> 1. What is the 0-to-12-point scale used to estimate the force of
> marine wind?

Beaufort

> 2. What is a wind with a speed of 34 to 47 knots inclusive, or
> <answer 1> force 8 or 9, named?

fresh

> 3. What is a tornado that occurs over water called?

waterspout

> 5. What term describes a relatively flat piece of sea ice that is
> anywhere from 20 meters across up to 10 km or more?

floe

> 7. What is the internationally recognized unit used by Environment
> and Climate Change Canada's Meteorological Service for measuring
> atmospheric pressure?

bar

> 8. What term refers to the breaking away of a mass of ice from an
> ice wall, ice front, or iceberg?

calving

> 9. When mountain ranges are exposed to strong prevailing crosswinds,
> this may cause clouds and precipitation on the windward side.
> Conversely, warm and dry winds may result on the leeward or
> sheltered side of the mountains -- what is the term used in
> Canada for those winds?

chinook

> 10. What term refers to an elongated atmospheric area of relatively
> high pressure, extending from the center of a high-pressure
> region? It is the opposite of a trough.

ridge

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Science: The Cat

> A1. How many claws does a typical house cat have?

20

> A2. Calico cats are the ones with three colors of fur in patches:
> white, black, and orange. Almost all calico cats have what
> other characteristic in common?

they are female

> * B. Sports: The Big Train

> B2. This American baseball player and manager -- and politician
> -- lived 1887-1946, and was nicknamed "the Big Train".
> Name him.

Walter Johnson

> * C. Geography: The Big Island

> C1. What is the biggest island in Canada?

Baffin Island

> C2. What is the biggest island in the 50 states of the US?

the "big island" of Hawai'i; Long Island

> * D. Canadiana History: 1837

> D1. Who was the leader of the Upper Canada Rebellion of 1837?

Riel

> D2. Who was the leader of the Lower Canada Rebellion of 1837?

Riel

> * E. Miscellaneous: Acronymic Businesses

> E2. The brand name FIAT for cars is an acronym in Italian.
> Tell what it stands for either in Italian, or in English,
> where the letters would come out in the order TIAF or IAFT.

Italian Automobile Factory Turin

> * F. History: The Lifetime of the Bad Guy

> F1. Name any year when Ivan the Terrible was alive.

1510 CE

> F2. Name any year when the emperor Nero was alive.

62 CE

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge round

<XnsB0E9B072DA22FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5874&group=rec.games.trivia#5874

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 17:20:44 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:20 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Science - Meteorology
>
> This round is based on the "Weather and Meteorology Glossary"
> on the Government of Canada web site.
>
> 1. What is the 0-to-12-point scale used to estimate the force of
> marine wind?

Beaufort
> 2. What is a wind with a speed of 34 to 47 knots inclusive, or
> <answer 1> force 8 or 9, named?

Storm
> 6. What does the 5-point Saffir-Simpson scale measure?

Hurricanes

> 7. What is the internationally recognized unit used by Environment
> and Climate Change Canada's Meteorological Service for measuring
> atmospheric pressure?

Bar
> 8. What term refers to the breaking away of a mass of ice from an
> ice wall, ice front, or iceberg?

Calving
> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Science: The Cat
>
> A1. How many claws does a typical house cat have?

20
> * C. Geography: The Big Island
>
> "Biggest island" means largest in area.
>
> C1. What is the biggest island in Canada?

Baffin Island

> C2. What is the biggest island in the 50 states of the US?

Long Island

> * E. Miscellaneous: Acronymic Businesses
>
> E2. The brand name FIAT for cars is an acronym in Italian.
> Tell what it stands for either in Italian, or in English,
> where the letters would come out in the order TIAF or IAFT.

Italian Automobile factory of Turin

> * F. History: The Lifetime of the Bad Guy
>
> At least, these two are often thought of as bad guys. Not everyone
> agrees.
>
> F1. Name any year when Ivan the Terrible was alive.

1533

(I'm right now reading a book on the history of Russia covering the
period 1304-1612, so I know that 1533 was the year when Ivan became
Grand Prince. The book is however right now making a break to discuss
the development of the Russian Orthodox Church, so it will take a
while until I learnt more about his reign. If I understand what I've
read so far, he was still a child in 1533. His father, Vasil III had
to diverse and remarry to get a heir.)

> F2. Name any year when the emperor Nero was alive.

64 AD

Re: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge round

<80ae416c-94ad-493a-8d92-0f9e694ad3e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5875&group=rec.games.trivia#5875

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 09:14:02 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 17:14 UTC

On Friday, December 29, 2023 at 1:29:23 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-06,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote most of one of these rounds.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Science - Meteorology
>
> This round is based on the "Weather and Meteorology Glossary"
> on the Government of Canada web site.
>
> 1. What is the 0-to-12-point scale used to estimate the force of
> marine wind?

beaufort wind scale

> 2. What is a wind with a speed of 34 to 47 knots inclusive, or
> <answer 1> force 8 or 9, named?

gale

> 3. What is a tornado that occurs over water called?

waterspout

> 4. If the forces of the atmosphere, such as air pressure or wind,
> cause the observed sea level to be different from the predicted
> tide, what is this difference called? It may be positive or
> negative. This phenomenon is often associated with hurricanes.

storm surge

> 5. What term describes a relatively flat piece of sea ice that is
> anywhere from 20 meters across up to 10 km or more?

ice floe

> 6. What does the 5-point Saffir-Simpson scale measure?

hurricane wind speed

> 7. What is the internationally recognized unit used by Environment
> and Climate Change Canada's Meteorological Service for measuring
> atmospheric pressure?

millibars

> 8. What term refers to the breaking away of a mass of ice from an
> ice wall, ice front, or iceberg?

cleave

> 9. When mountain ranges are exposed to strong prevailing crosswinds,
> this may cause clouds and precipitation on the windward side.
> Conversely, warm and dry winds may result on the leeward or
> sheltered side of the mountains -- what is the term used in
> Canada for those winds?

chinook

> 10. What term refers to an elongated atmospheric area of relatively
> high pressure, extending from the center of a high-pressure
> region? It is the opposite of a trough.

ridge

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Science: The Cat
>
> A1. How many claws does a typical house cat have?

18 [ah-choo!]

> A2. Calico cats are the ones with three colors of fur in patches:
> white, black, and orange. Almost all calico cats have what
> other characteristic in common?

female [ah-choo!]

> * B. Sports: The Big Train
>
> B1. This Canadian hockey, football, and lacrosse player -- and
> politician -- lived 1900-54, and was nicknamed "the Big
> Train". Name him.

lionel conacher

> B2. This American baseball player and manager -- and politician
> -- lived 1887-1946, and was nicknamed "the Big Train".
> Name him.

walter johnson

> * C. Geography: The Big Island
>
> "Biggest island" means largest in area.
>
> C1. What is the biggest island in Canada?

baffin

> C2. What is the biggest island in the 50 states of the US?

the big island of hawai'i

> * D. Canadiana History: 1837
>
> D1. Who was the leader of the Upper Canada Rebellion of 1837?

mackenzie

> D2. Who was the leader of the Lower Canada Rebellion of 1837?

mackenzie

> * E. Miscellaneous: Acronymic Businesses
>
> E1. The brand name TASER for an electroshock weapon originated
> as an acronym inspired by the title of a science-fiction
> novel from 1911. Either give the title of the novel or
> else the expansion of TASER.

thomas a swift's electric rifle

> E2. The brand name FIAT for cars is an acronym in Italian.
> Tell what it stands for either in Italian, or in English,
> where the letters would come out in the order TIAF or IAFT.

italian automobile fabricated in torino

> * F. History: The Lifetime of the Bad Guy
>
> At least, these two are often thought of as bad guys. Not everyone
> agrees.
>
> F1. Name any year when Ivan the Terrible was alive.

1555

> F2. Name any year when the emperor Nero was alive.

55

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: If you just
> said Hawaii for any answer, go back and name the specific island.

dang nabbit

> --
> Mark Brader | "It doesn't have to actually *be* special, but you have
> Toronto | to make people think it is, and sometimes the easiest way
> m...@vex.net | to do that is to make it special." -- Peter Reiher
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge round

<c86e08e2-a419-4922-8324-64f4d5075449n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5876&group=rec.games.trivia#5876

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:44:07 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 00:44 UTC

On Friday, December 29, 2023 at 12:29:23 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Science - Meteorology
>
> This round is based on the "Weather and Meteorology Glossary"
> on the Government of Canada web site.
>
> 1. What is the 0-to-12-point scale used to estimate the force of
> marine wind?

Beaufort scale
> 2. What is a wind with a speed of 34 to 47 knots inclusive, or
> <answer 1> force 8 or 9, named?

gale

> 3. What is a tornado that occurs over water called?

waterspout

> 7. What is the internationally recognized unit used by Environment
> and Climate Change Canada's Meteorological Service for measuring
> atmospheric pressure?

millimeter of mercury; bar

> 8. What term refers to the breaking away of a mass of ice from an
> ice wall, ice front, or iceberg?

cleaving

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Science: The Cat
>
> A2. Calico cats are the ones with three colors of fur in patches:
> white, black, and orange. Almost all calico cats have what
> other characteristic in common?

they are female

> * B. Sports: The Big Train
>
> B2. This American baseball player and manager -- and politician
> -- lived 1887-1946, and was nicknamed "the Big Train".
> Name him.

Walter Johnson

> * C. Geography: The Big Island
>
> "Biggest island" means largest in area.
>
> C1. What is the biggest island in Canada?

Baffin

> C2. What is the biggest island in the 50 states of the US?

Kodiak; Hawaii (the Big Island)

> * F. History: The Lifetime of the Bad Guy
>
> At least, these two are often thought of as bad guys. Not everyone
> agrees.
>
> F1. Name any year when Ivan the Terrible was alive.

1480

> F2. Name any year when the emperor Nero was alive.

40

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq Unjnvv sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq anzr gur fcrpvsvp vfynaq.

V'z abg fher ubj fnlvat "gur Ovt Vfynaq" znxrf vg zber fcrpvsvp jura lbh'er nfxvat sbe gur "ovttrfg vfynaq."

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: meteorology, challenge round

<anOdnbqJzcV6EBL4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5877&group=rec.games.trivia#5877

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 03:26:31 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 03:26 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > Nsgre pbzcyrgvat gur ebhaq, cyrnfr qrpbqr gur ebg13: If you just
> > said Hawaii for any answer, go back and name the specific island.
Joshua Kreitzer:
> V'z abg fher ubj fnlvat "gur Ovt Vfynaq" znxrf vg zber fcrpvsvp jura
> lbh'er nfxvat sbe gur "ovttrfg vfynaq."

Abg gb zragvba, jura lbh nyernql fnvq "Unjnvv".
--
Mark Brader | "This was followed by a vocal response which
Toronto | would now be reserved for kicking a ball in a net."

QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10 answers: meteorology, challenge round

<3f-cna4hj-Ok0Q_4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5878&group=rec.games.trivia#5878

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 7, Rounds 9-10 answers: meteorology, challenge round
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 05:23:05 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 05:23 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-06,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 7 is over and STEPHEN PERRY has won handily. Hearty
congratulations, sir!

> I wrote most of one of these rounds.

Challenge round pairs A through E.

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Science - Meteorology

> This round is based on the "Weather and Meteorology Glossary"
> on the Government of Canada web site.

> 1. What is the 0-to-12-point scale used to estimate the force of
> marine wind?

Beaufort scale. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Erland, Stephen,
and Joshua.

> 2. What is a wind with a speed of 34 to 47 knots inclusive, or
> <answer 1> force 8 or 9, named?

Gale force. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 3. What is a tornado that occurs over water called?

Waterspout. 4 for Pete, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 4. If the forces of the atmosphere, such as air pressure or wind,
> cause the observed sea level to be different from the predicted
> tide, what is this difference called? It may be positive or
> negative. This phenomenon is often associated with hurricanes.

Storm surge. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 5. What term describes a relatively flat piece of sea ice that is
> anywhere from 20 meters across up to 10 km or more?

Floe. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 6. What does the 5-point Saffir-Simpson scale measure?

Strength of a hurricane. 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 7. What is the internationally recognized unit used by Environment
> and Climate Change Canada's Meteorological Service for measuring
> atmospheric pressure?

Kilopascal. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 8. What term refers to the breaking away of a mass of ice from an
> ice wall, ice front, or iceberg?

Calving. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Erland.

> 9. When mountain ranges are exposed to strong prevailing crosswinds,
> this may cause clouds and precipitation on the windward side.
> Conversely, warm and dry winds may result on the leeward or
> sheltered side of the mountains -- what is the term used in
> Canada for those winds?

Chinook. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 10. What term refers to an elongated atmospheric area of relatively
> high pressure, extending from the center of a high-pressure
> region? It is the opposite of a trough.

Ridge. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Science: The Cat

> A1. How many claws does a typical house cat have?

18. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

5 on each front foot, 4 on each hind foot. The extra front claw
is in a thumblike, though non-opposable, structure and is called
the dewclaw.

> A2. Calico cats are the ones with three colors of fur in patches:
> white, black, and orange. Almost all calico cats have what
> other characteristic in common?

They are female. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

A single gene on the X chromosome selects black or orange fur.
For both colors to be expressed on one cat, either it has some
sort of chromosomal abnormality or else it has two X chromosomes,
i.e. it's female. A separate gene on another chromosome produces
the white patches.

> * B. Sports: The Big Train

> B1. This Canadian hockey, football, and lacrosse player -- and
> politician -- lived 1900-54, and was nicknamed "the Big
> Train". Name him.

Lionel Conacher. 4 for Pete and Stephen.

Played for the Leafs and the Argos; Liberal MPP for Bracondale
and MP for Trinity, both ridings in Toronto.

> B2. This American baseball player and manager -- and politician
> -- lived 1887-1946, and was nicknamed "the Big Train".
> Name him.

Walter Johnson. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

Played for the Washington Senators; Republican county commissioner
and candidate for Congress, both in Maryland.

> * C. Geography: The Big Island

> "Biggest island" means largest in area.

> C1. What is the biggest island in Canada?

Baffin I., Nunavut. 4 for everyone -- Pete, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Erland, Stephen, and Joshua.

The next three are Victoria I., NWT; Ellesmere I., Nunavut; and
Newfoundland.

> C2. What is the biggest island in the 50 states of the US?

Hawaii I., Hawaii -- also called, yes, the Big Island. 4 for
Dan Tilque and Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Joshua.

I didn't require the word "Island" or "I.", so if after reading
the rot13 you left the answer "Hawaii" unchanged, that was correct.
"Big Island" was also acceptable.

Long I., NY, ranks 10th. The rest of the top 10 are all in Alaska,
headed by Kodiak I., Prince of Wales, and Chichagof I.

> * D. Canadiana History: 1837

> D1. Who was the leader of the Upper Canada Rebellion of 1837?

William Lyon Mackenzie. 4 for Stephen.

> D2. Who was the leader of the Lower Canada Rebellion of 1837?

Louis-Joseph Papineau.

> * E. Miscellaneous: Acronymic Businesses

> E1. The brand name TASER for an electroshock weapon originated
> as an acronym inspired by the title of a science-fiction
> novel from 1911. Either give the title of the novel or
> else the expansion of TASER.

"Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle", Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle.
(Anything with the four key words was accceptable.) 4 for Dan Tilque
and Stephen.

> E2. The brand name FIAT for cars is an acronym in Italian.
> Tell what it stands for either in Italian, or in English,
> where the letters would come out in the order TIAF or IAFT.

Fabbrica Italiana Automobili di Torino, Turin Italian Automobile
Factory (anything with the four words was accceptable). 4 for
Dan Blum and Erland.

> * F. History: The Lifetime of the Bad Guy

> At least, these two are often thought of as bad guys. Not everyone
> agrees.

> F1. Name any year when Ivan the Terrible was alive.

1530-84. 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> F2. Name any year when the emperor Nero was alive.

37-68. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Stephen, and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Can Ent Lit Geo His Sci Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 32 36 36 32 40 0 32 40 216
Joshua Kreitzer 0 28 28 23 40 40 12 18 177
Dan Blum 9 15 18 23 36 36 24 23 160
Dan Tilque 0 8 8 4 40 28 32 20 136
Pete Gayde 14 8 -- -- 40 36 4 12 114
Erland Sommarskog 4 23 -- -- 40 8 12 16 103

--
Mark Brader And as in nerdish thought he stood,
Toronto the Jargontalk, with awk and grep,