Math is like love -- a simple idea but it can get complicated. -- R. Drabek

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American football

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American footballMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American footballDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American footballDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American footballJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American footballswp
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American footballPete Gayde
`- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: as Julius and American footballMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American football

<Pa2cnRS8F84Y0Q_4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5879&group=rec.games.trivia#5879

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American football
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 05:24:21 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 05:24 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 8, Round 2 - Entertainment - Playing Julius Caesar

Over the years, many actors have portrayed Julius Caesar in movies
and on television. Here are some of them. In each case, name
the actor.

1. In a 1945 movie adaptation of George Bernard ["BER-nerd"]
Shaw's "Caesar and Cleopatra", this British actor as Caesar
was a mouthpiece for Shaw's own witticisms and droll humor.
The actor is better known for his numerous character roles,
often as a villain, in such films as Frank Capra's "Mr. Smith
Goes to Washington" (1939) and Alfred Hitchcock's "Notorious"
(1946).

2. One of the greatest interpreters of William Shakespeare's plays
in theater, this British actor only played Caesar in only one
movie, a 1970 version of Shakespeare's play. His many other
movies, usually in character roles, include "Murder on the
Orient Express" (1975) and "Arthur" (1981).

3. Before he played James Bond in two of Eon Productions' 25 Bond
movies, this British actor distinguished himself in various
Shakespearean roles on stage. After his days as Bond, he took
up the role of Caesar in a 1999 Hallmark TV mini-series called
"Cleopatra". Low career point indeed!

4. This American actor, familiar to fans of Dick Wolf's "Law &
Order" and that producer's current series "FBI", played Caesar
in a 2003 two-part television bio-pic that also starred Richard
Harris, Christopher Walken, and Chris Noth [rhymes with "both"],
another alumnus of "Law & Order".

5. In a big-budget movie extravaganza in 1963, this British actor
took a stab at Caesar. (Groan.) A long-time stage-and-screen
thespian, he had a career that stretched back to the 1930s,
including films such as "Unfaithfully Yours" (1948), as a
homicidal conductor, and "The Agony and the Ecstasy" (1965),
playing a pope.

6. This American actor may have surprised movie fans with his
excellent portrayal of Shakespeare's Caesar in Joseph
Mankiewicz's 1953 film, a production jam-packed with famous
actors such as Marlon Brando, James Mason, <answer 2>, and
Deborah Kerr ["Car"]. He also played a profoundly sleazy lawyer
in John Huston's "The Asphalt Jungle" (1950).

7. This British comedian is famous for the two dozen or more
"Carry On" films he did for decades. One of those, the
atrociously hilarious wink-wink movie "Carry On Cleo" (1964),
saw him take on the role of Caesar opposite Amanda Barrie
as Cleopatra.

8. On a more serious note, occasionally a younger actor takes
on a more youthful Caesar, which was the case for this US
wannabe-Rock-Hudson, better known as the lover of Janet Leigh's
ill-fated character in Hitchcock's "Psycho" (1960). He took
up the challenge of Caesar in Stanley Kubrick's "Spartacus",
also released in 1960.

9. This Irish actor played Caesar in the sprawling, saucy epic
HBO/BBC series "Rome" (2005-07), detailing the transition of
ancient Rome from republic to empire. His movie roles include
villains in "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life" (2003)
and "Justice League" (2017). More recently, he played Buddy's
grandfather in Kenneth Branagh's "Belfast" (2021).

10. In 2005, ABC took its own even more lurid whack at ancient
Rome with "Empire". Although he was born in the US and has
lived in Ireland, the actor who played Julius Caesar in this
mini-series identifies as Canadian, and has done a lot of plays
and movies here. Movie and TV roles include Pierre Trudeau in
the CBC mini-series "Trudeau" (2002), Glenn Gould in "Thirty-Two
Short Films about Glenn Gould" (1993), and a police detective in
"Bon Cop, Bad Cop" (2006) and its sequel.

* Game 8, Round 3 - Sports - American Football

1. The National Football League now has 32 teams based in more
than 20 US states, but when it started in 1920 there were 14
teams in 5 states. Just like with the NHL, only two of those
original teams still exist, but unlike the NHL, both teams have
moved from their original home cities. Give the *present-day
name* of either of those surviving teams -- give either the
team name or the place name.

2. The most recent case of an NFL team changing its name happened
last year. What is that team now called? Place name and team
name required.

3. The next two questions are about NFL records according to
the NFL's official Record and Fact Book issued at the start of
this season. Which retired player, who started with New England,
holds the all-time career record for the most points scored?

4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
previous question. Ivangvrev fpberq zbfg bs uvf cbvagf ol
xvpxvat. Juvpu ergverq cynlre, jub fgnegrq jvgu Fna Senapvfpb,
ubyqf gur nyy-gvzr pnerre erpbeq sbe gur zbfg gbhpuqbjaf?

5. Another professional league of American football currently has
8 teams; its North Division consists of the Michigan Panthers,
New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars, and Pittsburgh Maulers.
Name that league -- the short form will do.

6. Still another professional league of American football has
announced its intention to merge with the <answer 5>. It,
too, currently has 8 teams, and its North Division consists of
the DC Defenders, Seattle Sea Dragons, St. Louis BattleHawks,
and Vegas Vipers. This league only has a short-form name --
what is it?

7. College football in the US, like other collegiate sports,
is governed by the NCAA. What does that stand for, exactly?

8. The highest level of NCAA football is called the Football Bowl
Subdivision of Division I, or FBS for short. It's divided
into 10 conferences, but how many teams are there altogether,
within, oh, 10?

9. Name *any* college or university whose team won the championship
of its FBS conference last year. This does not refer to
bowl games.

10. The top individual award for NCAA football is the Heisman
Trophy. Name *any one* of the last 10 winners (i.e. the winner
for any year 2013-22).

--
Mark Brader | "A colorful quilt reflecting the dispersed development
msb@vex.net | of the nation. A sentence fragment."

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American football

<umtm0u$230hu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5880&group=rec.games.trivia#5880

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 22:27:38 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 06:27 UTC

On 12/31/23 21:24, Mark Brader wrote:

> [...]
> Rome with "Empire". Although he was born in the US and has
> lived in Ireland, the actor who played Julius Caesar in this
> mini-series identifies as Canadian, and has done a lot of plays
> and movies here. Movie and TV roles include Pierre Trudeau in
> the CBC mini-series "Trudeau" (2002), Glenn Gould in "Thirty-Two
> Short Films about Glenn Gould" (1993), and a police detective in
> "Bon Cop, Bad Cop" (2006) and its sequel.
>

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Sports - American Football
>
> 1. The National Football League now has 32 teams based in more
> than 20 US states, but when it started in 1920 there were 14
> teams in 5 states. Just like with the NHL, only two of those
> original teams still exist, but unlike the NHL, both teams have
> moved from their original home cities. Give the *present-day
> name* of either of those surviving teams -- give either the

Chicago Bears

> 2. The most recent case of an NFL team changing its name happened
> last year. What is that team now called? Place name and team
> name required.

Washington Commanders

> 3. The next two questions are about NFL records according to
> the NFL's official Record and Fact Book issued at the start of
> this season. Which retired player, who started with New England,
> holds the all-time career record for the most points scored?

Tom Brady

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Ivangvrev fpberq zbfg bs uvf cbvagf ol
> xvpxvat. Juvpu ergverq cynlre, jub fgnegrq jvgu Fna Senapvfpb,
> ubyqf gur nyy-gvzr pnerre erpbeq sbe gur zbfg gbhpuqbjaf?

Jerry Rice

> 5. Another professional league of American football currently has
> 8 teams; its North Division consists of the Michigan Panthers,
> New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars, and Pittsburgh Maulers.
> Name that league -- the short form will do.

NFL D League

> 6. Still another professional league of American football has
> announced its intention to merge with the <answer 5>. It,
> too, currently has 8 teams, and its North Division consists of
> the DC Defenders, Seattle Sea Dragons, St. Louis BattleHawks,
> and Vegas Vipers. This league only has a short-form name --
> what is it?
>
> 7. College football in the US, like other collegiate sports,
> is governed by the NCAA. What does that stand for, exactly?

National Collegiate Athletic Association

> 8. The highest level of NCAA football is called the Football Bowl
> Subdivision of Division I, or FBS for short. It's divided
> into 10 conferences, but how many teams are there altogether,
> within, oh, 10?

170

> 9. Name *any* college or university whose team won the championship
> of its FBS conference last year. This does not refer to
> bowl games.

Georgia Bulldogs

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American football

<umuj92$4tf$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5881&group=rec.games.trivia#5881

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 14:46:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 14:46 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Entertainment - Playing Julius Caesar

> 2. One of the greatest interpreters of William Shakespeare's plays
> in theater, this British actor only played Caesar in only one
> movie, a 1970 version of Shakespeare's play. His many other
> movies, usually in character roles, include "Murder on the
> Orient Express" (1975) and "Arthur" (1981).

John Gielgud

> 3. Before he played James Bond in two of Eon Productions' 25 Bond
> movies, this British actor distinguished himself in various
> Shakespearean roles on stage. After his days as Bond, he took
> up the role of Caesar in a 1999 Hallmark TV mini-series called
> "Cleopatra". Low career point indeed!

Timothy Dalton

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Sports - American Football

> 1. The National Football League now has 32 teams based in more
> than 20 US states, but when it started in 1920 there were 14
> teams in 5 states. Just like with the NHL, only two of those
> original teams still exist, but unlike the NHL, both teams have
> moved from their original home cities. Give the *present-day
> name* of either of those surviving teams -- give either the
> team name or the place name.

Bears

> 2. The most recent case of an NFL team changing its name happened
> last year. What is that team now called? Place name and team
> name required.

Washington Commanders

> 3. The next two questions are about NFL records according to
> the NFL's official Record and Fact Book issued at the start of
> this season. Which retired player, who started with New England,
> holds the all-time career record for the most points scored?

Yom Brady

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Ivangvrev fpberq zbfg bs uvf cbvagf ol
> xvpxvat. Juvpu ergverq cynlre, jub fgnegrq jvgu Fna Senapvfpb,
> ubyqf gur nyy-gvzr pnerre erpbeq sbe gur zbfg gbhpuqbjaf?

Montana

> 7. College football in the US, like other collegiate sports,
> is governed by the NCAA. What does that stand for, exactly?

National Collegiate Athletic Association

> 8. The highest level of NCAA football is called the Football Bowl
> Subdivision of Division I, or FBS for short. It's divided
> into 10 conferences, but how many teams are there altogether,
> within, oh, 10?

100

> 9. Name *any* college or university whose team won the championship
> of its FBS conference last year. This does not refer to
> bowl games.

University of Alabama; The Ohio State University

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American football

<54214c4f-ebe1-4b74-a21b-3f2be8b21810n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5882&group=rec.games.trivia#5882

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 08:30:33 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:30 UTC

On Sunday, December 31, 2023 at 11:24:33 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 8, Round 2 - Entertainment - Playing Julius Caesar
>
> Over the years, many actors have portrayed Julius Caesar in movies
> and on television. Here are some of them. In each case, name
> the actor.
>
> 2. One of the greatest interpreters of William Shakespeare's plays
> in theater, this British actor only played Caesar in only one
> movie, a 1970 version of Shakespeare's play. His many other
> movies, usually in character roles, include "Murder on the
> Orient Express" (1975) and "Arthur" (1981).

John Gielgud

> 3. Before he played James Bond in two of Eon Productions' 25 Bond
> movies, this British actor distinguished himself in various
> Shakespearean roles on stage. After his days as Bond, he took
> up the role of Caesar in a 1999 Hallmark TV mini-series called
> "Cleopatra". Low career point indeed!

Timothy Dalton
> * Game 8, Round 3 - Sports - American Football
>
> 1. The National Football League now has 32 teams based in more
> than 20 US states, but when it started in 1920 there were 14
> teams in 5 states. Just like with the NHL, only two of those
> original teams still exist, but unlike the NHL, both teams have
> moved from their original home cities. Give the *present-day
> name* of either of those surviving teams -- give either the
> team name or the place name.

Chicago Bears

> 2. The most recent case of an NFL team changing its name happened
> last year. What is that team now called? Place name and team
> name required.

Las Vegas Raiders

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Ivangvrev fpberq zbfg bs uvf cbvagf ol
> xvpxvat. Juvpu ergverq cynlre, jub fgnegrq jvgu Fna Senapvfpb,
> ubyqf gur nyy-gvzr pnerre erpbeq sbe gur zbfg gbhpuqbjaf?

Jerry Rice; Joe Montana

> 5. Another professional league of American football currently has
> 8 teams; its North Division consists of the Michigan Panthers,
> New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars, and Pittsburgh Maulers.
> Name that league -- the short form will do.

USFL

> 6. Still another professional league of American football has
> announced its intention to merge with the <answer 5>. It,
> too, currently has 8 teams, and its North Division consists of
> the DC Defenders, Seattle Sea Dragons, St. Louis BattleHawks,
> and Vegas Vipers. This league only has a short-form name --
> what is it?

XFL

> 7. College football in the US, like other collegiate sports,
> is governed by the NCAA. What does that stand for, exactly?

National Collegiate Athletic Association

> 8. The highest level of NCAA football is called the Football Bowl
> Subdivision of Division I, or FBS for short. It's divided
> into 10 conferences, but how many teams are there altogether,
> within, oh, 10?

130

> 9. Name *any* college or university whose team won the championship
> of its FBS conference last year. This does not refer to
> bowl games.

Alabama

> 10. The top individual award for NCAA football is the Heisman
> Trophy. Name *any one* of the last 10 winners (i.e. the winner
> for any year 2013-22).

Tim Tebow (?)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American football

<9abadcf2-e358-4801-a0cc-b9ba99d478b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5883&group=rec.games.trivia#5883

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 12:16:38 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 20:16 UTC

On Monday, January 1, 2024 at 12:24:33 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> [...]
> Rome with "Empire". Although he was born in the US and has
> lived in Ireland, the actor who played Julius Caesar in this
> mini-series identifies as Canadian, and has done a lot of plays
> and movies here. Movie and TV roles include Pierre Trudeau in
> the CBC mini-series "Trudeau" (2002), Glenn Gould in "Thirty-Two
> Short Films about Glenn Gould" (1993), and a police detective in
> "Bon Cop, Bad Cop" (2006) and its sequel.
>

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Sports - American Football
>
> 1. The National Football League now has 32 teams based in more
> than 20 US states, but when it started in 1920 there were 14
> teams in 5 states. Just like with the NHL, only two of those
> original teams still exist, but unlike the NHL, both teams have
> moved from their original home cities. Give the *present-day
> name* of either of those surviving teams -- give either the

chicago bears

> 2. The most recent case of an NFL team changing its name happened
> last year. What is that team now called? Place name and team
> name required.

washington commanders [nee redskins]

> 3. The next two questions are about NFL records according to
> the NFL's official Record and Fact Book issued at the start of
> this season. Which retired player, who started with New England,
> holds the all-time career record for the most points scored?

adam vinatieri

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question.Vinatieri scored most of his points by
> kicking. Which retired player, who started with San Francisco,
> holds the all-time career record for the most touchdowns?

jerry rice

> 5. Another professional league of American football currently has
> 8 teams; its North Division consists of the Michigan Panthers,
> New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars, and Pittsburgh Maulers.
> Name that league -- the short form will do.

usfl

> 6. Still another professional league of American football has
> announced its intention to merge with the <answer 5>. It,
> too, currently has 8 teams, and its North Division consists of
> the DC Defenders, Seattle Sea Dragons, St. Louis BattleHawks,
> and Vegas Vipers. This league only has a short-form name --
> what is it?

xfl

> 7. College football in the US, like other collegiate sports,
> is governed by the NCAA. What does that stand for, exactly?

national collegiate athletics association

> 8. The highest level of NCAA football is called the Football Bowl
> Subdivision of Division I, or FBS for short. It's divided
> into 10 conferences, but how many teams are there altogether,
> within, oh, 10?

133

> 9. Name *any* college or university whose team won the championship
> of its FBS conference last year. This does not refer to
> bowl games.

michigan [big ten]

> 10. The top individual award for NCAA football is the Heisman
> Trophy. Name *any one* of the last 10 winners (i.e. the winner
> for any year 2013-22).

baker mayfield ; devonta smith

> --
> Mark Brader | "A colorful quilt reflecting the dispersed development
> m...@vex.net | of the nation. A sentence fragment."
> Toronto | --Eric Walker
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: as Julius and American football

<un52cg$3d6d4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5884&group=rec.games.trivia#5884

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:41:35 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 01:41 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Entertainment - Playing Julius Caesar
>
> Over the years, many actors have portrayed Julius Caesar in movies
> and on television. Here are some of them. In each case, name
> the actor.
>
> 1. In a 1945 movie adaptation of George Bernard ["BER-nerd"]
> Shaw's "Caesar and Cleopatra", this British actor as Caesar
> was a mouthpiece for Shaw's own witticisms and droll humor.
> The actor is better known for his numerous character roles,
> often as a villain, in such films as Frank Capra's "Mr. Smith
> Goes to Washington" (1939) and Alfred Hitchcock's "Notorious"
> (1946).

Peter Lorre

> 2. One of the greatest interpreters of William Shakespeare's plays
> in theater, this British actor only played Caesar in only one
> movie, a 1970 version of Shakespeare's play. His many other
> movies, usually in character roles, include "Murder on the
> Orient Express" (1975) and "Arthur" (1981).
>
> 3. Before he played James Bond in two of Eon Productions' 25 Bond
> movies, this British actor distinguished himself in various
> Shakespearean roles on stage. After his days as Bond, he took
> up the role of Caesar in a 1999 Hallmark TV mini-series called
> "Cleopatra". Low career point indeed!

Pierce Brosnan

> 4. This American actor, familiar to fans of Dick Wolf's "Law &
> Order" and that producer's current series "FBI", played Caesar
> in a 2003 two-part television bio-pic that also starred Richard
> Harris, Christopher Walken, and Chris Noth [rhymes with "both"],
> another alumnus of "Law & Order".
>
> 5. In a big-budget movie extravaganza in 1963, this British actor
> took a stab at Caesar. (Groan.) A long-time stage-and-screen
> thespian, he had a career that stretched back to the 1930s,
> including films such as "Unfaithfully Yours" (1948), as a
> homicidal conductor, and "The Agony and the Ecstasy" (1965),
> playing a pope.
>
> 6. This American actor may have surprised movie fans with his
> excellent portrayal of Shakespeare's Caesar in Joseph
> Mankiewicz's 1953 film, a production jam-packed with famous
> actors such as Marlon Brando, James Mason, <answer 2>, and
> Deborah Kerr ["Car"]. He also played a profoundly sleazy lawyer
> in John Huston's "The Asphalt Jungle" (1950).

Glenn Ford

> 7. This British comedian is famous for the two dozen or more
> "Carry On" films he did for decades. One of those, the
> atrociously hilarious wink-wink movie "Carry On Cleo" (1964),
> saw him take on the role of Caesar opposite Amanda Barrie
> as Cleopatra.
>
> 8. On a more serious note, occasionally a younger actor takes
> on a more youthful Caesar, which was the case for this US
> wannabe-Rock-Hudson, better known as the lover of Janet Leigh's
> ill-fated character in Hitchcock's "Psycho" (1960). He took
> up the challenge of Caesar in Stanley Kubrick's "Spartacus",
> also released in 1960.
>
> 9. This Irish actor played Caesar in the sprawling, saucy epic
> HBO/BBC series "Rome" (2005-07), detailing the transition of
> ancient Rome from republic to empire. His movie roles include
> villains in "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life" (2003)
> and "Justice League" (2017). More recently, he played Buddy's
> grandfather in Kenneth Branagh's "Belfast" (2021).
>
> 10. In 2005, ABC took its own even more lurid whack at ancient
> Rome with "Empire". Although he was born in the US and has
> lived in Ireland, the actor who played Julius Caesar in this
> mini-series identifies as Canadian, and has done a lot of plays
> and movies here. Movie and TV roles include Pierre Trudeau in
> the CBC mini-series "Trudeau" (2002), Glenn Gould in "Thirty-Two
> Short Films about Glenn Gould" (1993), and a police detective in
> "Bon Cop, Bad Cop" (2006) and its sequel.
>

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Sports - American Football
>
> 1. The National Football League now has 32 teams based in more
> than 20 US states, but when it started in 1920 there were 14
> teams in 5 states. Just like with the NHL, only two of those
> original teams still exist, but unlike the NHL, both teams have
> moved from their original home cities. Give the *present-day
> name* of either of those surviving teams -- give either the
> team name or the place name.

Chicago Bears

> 2. The most recent case of an NFL team changing its name happened
> last year. What is that team now called? Place name and team
> name required.

Las Vegas Raiders

> 3. The next two questions are about NFL records according to
> the NFL's official Record and Fact Book issued at the start of
> this season. Which retired player, who started with New England,
> holds the all-time career record for the most points scored?
>
> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Ivangvrev fpberq zbfg bs uvf cbvagf ol
> xvpxvat. Juvpu ergverq cynlre, jub fgnegrq jvgu Fna Senapvfpb,
> ubyqf gur nyy-gvzr pnerre erpbeq sbe gur zbfg gbhpuqbjaf?

Jerry Rice

> 5. Another professional league of American football currently has
> 8 teams; its North Division consists of the Michigan Panthers,
> New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars, and Pittsburgh Maulers.
> Name that league -- the short form will do.

USFL; XFL

> 6. Still another professional league of American football has
> announced its intention to merge with the <answer 5>. It,
> too, currently has 8 teams, and its North Division consists of
> the DC Defenders, Seattle Sea Dragons, St. Louis BattleHawks,
> and Vegas Vipers. This league only has a short-form name --
> what is it?

XFL; USFL

> 7. College football in the US, like other collegiate sports,
> is governed by the NCAA. What does that stand for, exactly?

National Collegiate Athletic Association

> 8. The highest level of NCAA football is called the Football Bowl
> Subdivision of Division I, or FBS for short. It's divided
> into 10 conferences, but how many teams are there altogether,
> within, oh, 10?

140

> 9. Name *any* college or university whose team won the championship
> of its FBS conference last year. This does not refer to
> bowl games.

University of Michigan (Go Blue!)

> 10. The top individual award for NCAA football is the Heisman
> Trophy. Name *any one* of the last 10 winners (i.e. the winner
> for any year 2013-22).

Kyler Murray

Pete Gayde

QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: as Julius and American football

<lvGcnTHiEcB2xgr4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5885&group=rec.games.trivia#5885

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: as Julius and American football
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 01:31:23 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 01:31 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The sports round.

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Entertainment - Playing Julius Caesar

> Over the years, many actors have portrayed Julius Caesar in movies
> and on television. Here are some of them. In each case, name
> the actor.

> 1. In a 1945 movie adaptation of George Bernard ["BER-nerd"]
> Shaw's "Caesar and Cleopatra", this British actor as Caesar
> was a mouthpiece for Shaw's own witticisms and droll humor.
> The actor is better known for his numerous character roles,
> often as a villain, in such films as Frank Capra's "Mr. Smith
> Goes to Washington" (1939) and Alfred Hitchcock's "Notorious"
> (1946).

Claude Rains.

> 2. One of the greatest interpreters of William Shakespeare's plays
> in theater, this British actor only played Caesar in only one
> movie, a 1970 version of Shakespeare's play. His many other
> movies, usually in character roles, include "Murder on the
> Orient Express" (1975) and "Arthur" (1981).

Sir John Gielgud. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 3. Before he played James Bond in two of Eon Productions' 25 Bond
> movies, this British actor distinguished himself in various
> Shakespearean roles on stage. After his days as Bond, he took
> up the role of Caesar in a 1999 Hallmark TV mini-series called
> "Cleopatra". Low career point indeed!

Timothy Dalton. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 4. This American actor, familiar to fans of Dick Wolf's "Law &
> Order" and that producer's current series "FBI", played Caesar
> in a 2003 two-part television bio-pic that also starred Richard
> Harris, Christopher Walken, and Chris Noth [rhymes with "both"],
> another alumnus of "Law & Order".

Jeremy Sisto.

> 5. In a big-budget movie extravaganza in 1963, this British actor
> took a stab at Caesar. (Groan.) A long-time stage-and-screen
> thespian, he had a career that stretched back to the 1930s,
> including films such as "Unfaithfully Yours" (1948), as a
> homicidal conductor, and "The Agony and the Ecstasy" (1965),
> playing a pope.

Rex Harrison.

> 6. This American actor may have surprised movie fans with his
> excellent portrayal of Shakespeare's Caesar in Joseph
> Mankiewicz's 1953 film, a production jam-packed with famous
> actors such as Marlon Brando, James Mason, <answer 2>, and
> Deborah Kerr ["Car"]. He also played a profoundly sleazy lawyer
> in John Huston's "The Asphalt Jungle" (1950).

Louis Calhern.

> 7. This British comedian is famous for the two dozen or more
> "Carry On" films he did for decades. One of those, the
> atrociously hilarious wink-wink movie "Carry On Cleo" (1964),
> saw him take on the role of Caesar opposite Amanda Barrie
> as Cleopatra.

Kenneth Williams.

> 8. On a more serious note, occasionally a younger actor takes
> on a more youthful Caesar, which was the case for this US
> wannabe-Rock-Hudson, better known as the lover of Janet Leigh's
> ill-fated character in Hitchcock's "Psycho" (1960). He took
> up the challenge of Caesar in Stanley Kubrick's "Spartacus",
> also released in 1960.

John Gavin.

> 9. This Irish actor played Caesar in the sprawling, saucy epic
> HBO/BBC series "Rome" (2005-07), detailing the transition of
> ancient Rome from republic to empire. His movie roles include
> villains in "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life" (2003)
> and "Justice League" (2017). More recently, he played Buddy's
> grandfather in Kenneth Branagh's "Belfast" (2021).

Ciarán Hinds ["KEE-ran", rhymes with "minds"].

> 10. In 2005, ABC took its own even more lurid whack at ancient
> Rome with "Empire". Although he was born in the US and has
> lived in Ireland, the actor who played Julius Caesar in this
> mini-series identifies as Canadian, and has done a lot of plays
> and movies here. Movie and TV roles include Pierre Trudeau in
> the CBC mini-series "Trudeau" (2002), Glenn Gould in "Thirty-Two
> Short Films about Glenn Gould" (1993), and a police detective in
> "Bon Cop, Bad Cop" (2006) and its sequel.

Colm Feore ["column fyor"].

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Sports - American Football

This was the hardest round in the original game and, excluding an
audio round not posted here, the fourth-hardest of the entire season.

> 1. The National Football League now has 32 teams based in more
> than 20 US states, but when it started in 1920 there were 14
> teams in 5 states. Just like with the NHL, only two of those
> original teams still exist, but unlike the NHL, both teams have
> moved from their original home cities. Give the *present-day
> name* of either of those surviving teams -- give either the
> team name or the place name.

Arizona Cardinals, Chicago Bears. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque,
Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

(Originally they were the Chicago Cardinals and Decatur Staleys
respectively.)

> 2. The most recent case of an NFL team changing its name happened
> last year. What is that team now called? Place name and team
> name required.

Washington Commanders. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 3. The next two questions are about NFL records according to
> the NFL's official Record and Fact Book issued at the start of
> this season. Which retired player, who started with New England,
> holds the all-time career record for the most points scored?

Adam Vinatieri. (2,673 points.) 4 for Stephen.

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Vinatieri scored most of his points by
> kicking. Which retired player, who started with San Francisco,
> holds the all-time career record for the most touchdowns?

Jerry Rice. (208.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Pete.
3 for Joshua.

> 5. Another professional league of American football currently has
> 8 teams; its North Division consists of the Michigan Panthers,
> New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars, and Pittsburgh Maulers.
> Name that league -- the short form will do.

United States Football League (USFL). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.
3 for Pete.

> 6. Still another professional league of American football has
> announced its intention to merge with the <answer 5>. It,
> too, currently has 8 teams, and its North Division consists of
> the DC Defenders, Seattle Sea Dragons, St. Louis BattleHawks,
> and Vegas Vipers. This league only has a short-form name --
> what is it?

XFL. 4 for Joshua and Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 7. College football in the US, like other collegiate sports,
> is governed by the NCAA. What does that stand for, exactly?

National Collegiate Athletic Association. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Pete.

> 8. The highest level of NCAA football is called the Football Bowl
> Subdivision of Division I, or FBS for short. It's divided
> into 10 conferences, but how many teams are there altogether,
> within, oh, 10?

133 (accepting 123-143). 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 9. Name *any* college or university whose team won the championship
> of its FBS conference last year. This does not refer to
> bowl games.

Clemson, Fresno State, Georgia, Kansas State, Michigan,
UTSA (U. of Texas at San Antonio), Toledo, Troy, Tulane, Utah.
4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Pete.

> 10. The top individual award for NCAA football is the Heisman
> Trophy. Name *any one* of the last 10 winners (i.e. the winner
> for any year 2013-22).

Joe Burrow, Derrick Henry, Lamar Jackson, Marcus Mariota,
Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, DeVonta Smith, Caleb Williams,
Jameis Winston, Bryce Young. 4 for Stephen (the hard way) and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Spo
Stephen Perry 0 36 36
Joshua Kreitzer 8 23 31
Pete Gayde 0 30 30
Dan Tilque 0 20 20
Dan Blum 8 12 20

--
Mark Brader, | "There is no silver bullet, because not every
Toronto, msb@vex.net | problem is a werewolf." -- Damian Conway

Click here to read the complete article