A man's best friend is his dogma.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: shrinks and parkers

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkersMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkersJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkersErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkersDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkersswp
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkersDan Tilque
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkersPete Gayde
`- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: shrinks and parkersMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkers

<ROicnetT5-rZwQr4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5886&group=rec.games.trivia#5886

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 01:32:52 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 01:32 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Psychotherapies and Therapists

Name the therapist or therapy method described in each case.

1. Who was the early associate of Freud who broke with him and
developed what he called "individual therapy"? It identifies
feelings of inferiority as the root of neurosis, and attempts to
guide the patient away from an unfruitful quest for superiority
and into a more healthful interest and involvement in society.
Name him.

2. This treatment approach uses techniques such as reinforcement,
punishment, and desensitization to bring about therapeutic goals.

3. This therapy was developed by American psychiatrist Aaron Beck
and teaches clients to identify and challenge unhelpful
beliefs and so-called "automatic thoughts", often by using
daily thought diaries.

4. This American psychologist originated so-called person-centered
therapy and popularized the term "counseling" -- principally
because, at the time, "psychotherapy" was limited to doctors.
His therapeutic techniques centered on the alignment and trust
between client and therapist, and, in contrast with <answer 2>,
on personal experience, feelings, and freedom.

5. This therapy was developed in the 1940s and '50s by the American
Fritz Perl and others, drawing on an earlier trend in psychology
that emphasized restoring balance between the parts of a whole.
Its name comes from a German word for shape or pattern.

6. Now regarded by professionals as a pseudo-therapy, this approach
was created by Arthur Janov [J as in "jam"] and purported to
treat neurosis by having the client re-experience childhood
trauma, sometimes loudly. John Lennon claimed to have benefited
from it.

7. Name the Austrian physician and Holocaust survivor who founded
logotherapy, oriented toward finding meaning in life, even in
difficult circumstances.

8. <answer 7>'s logotherapy and Abraham Maslow's humanistic
therapy are branches of which broader school of psychotherapy?
It took insights from philosophers such as Kierkegaard,
Nietzsche, and Sartre, and it sees psychological issues as
part and parcel of one's personal development and experience
of being in the world.

9. Name the author of "The Road Less Travelled", which was published
in 1978 but didn't become a best-seller until several years
later. Appropriately, it emphasized delayed gratification --
as well as discipline and acceptance of responsibility.

10. This Scottish psychiatrist, the co-author of "Sanity, Madness
and the Family", was influenced by <answer 8> and believed
(at least for a time) that schizophrenia was a reaction to
dysfunctional circumstances rather than an organic illness.
Though the label "anti-psychiatry" was applied to him by others,
he rejected this characterization of his ideas.

* Game 8, Round 6 - Canadiana - Parking in Toronto

1. Street parking in Ontario is regulated using three types of
zones -- No Parking, No Standing, and No Stopping. In Toronto
the majority of No Standing zones are located near what common
roadside feature?

2. Name any situation when you are allowed to stop in a No
Stopping zone.

3. In what additional situation are you allowed to stop in a No
Standing zone?

4. When you buy a ticket from a pay-and-display machine or when
the parking rules change due to the time of day, how long a grace
period do parking officers give you before you get ticketed?

5. Unless signed otherwise, what is the longest you can legally
park on a street in Toronto?

6. Which one of No Parking, No Standing, and No Stopping zones
allows consideration in some situations for vehicles displaying
an accessible parking permit (i.e. for what we used to call
handicapped or disabled drivers)?

7. For what reason does pay-and-display parking in many areas on
Sundays not start until 1 pm?

8. Cases of disputed parking tickets are tried at only one
courthouse. Which one? (Name or address.)

9. If a parking fine is not paid, what recourse does the city have?

10. If the police have your car towed, and you don't reclaim it,
how long is the towing company required to keep it before it
can be sold off?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I can't tell from this... whether you're
msb@vex.net | a wise man or a wise guy." --Ted Schuerzinger

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkers

<dc30ca6f-b08d-4398-b5e4-6708b244cc9bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5887&group=rec.games.trivia#5887

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 20:17:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkers
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 04:17 UTC

On Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 7:33:02 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Psychotherapies and Therapists
>
> Name the therapist or therapy method described in each case.
>
> 5. This therapy was developed in the 1940s and '50s by the American
> Fritz Perl and others, drawing on an earlier trend in psychology
> that emphasized restoring balance between the parts of a whole.
> Its name comes from a German word for shape or pattern.

Gestalt

> 6. Now regarded by professionals as a pseudo-therapy, this approach
> was created by Arthur Janov [J as in "jam"] and purported to
> treat neurosis by having the client re-experience childhood
> trauma, sometimes loudly. John Lennon claimed to have benefited
> from it.

primal scream

> 8. <answer 7>'s logotherapy and Abraham Maslow's humanistic
> therapy are branches of which broader school of psychotherapy?
> It took insights from philosophers such as Kierkegaard,
> Nietzsche, and Sartre, and it sees psychological issues as
> part and parcel of one's personal development and experience
> of being in the world.

positive psychology
> 9. Name the author of "The Road Less Travelled", which was published
> in 1978 but didn't become a best-seller until several years
> later. Appropriately, it emphasized delayed gratification --
> as well as discipline and acceptance of responsibility.

Peck

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Canadiana - Parking in Toronto

> 7. For what reason does pay-and-display parking in many areas on
> Sundays not start until 1 pm?

to enable churchgoers to park

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkers

<XnsB0F0D3B08E9A3Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5888&group=rec.games.trivia#5888

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 20:48:35 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 19:48 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Psychotherapies and Therapists
>
> Name the therapist or therapy method described in each case.
>
> 1. Who was the early associate of Freud who broke with him and
> developed what he called "individual therapy"? It identifies
> feelings of inferiority as the root of neurosis, and attempts to
> guide the patient away from an unfruitful quest for superiority
> and into a more healthful interest and involvement in society.
> Name him.

Jung

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkers

<un9vil$dct$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5889&group=rec.games.trivia#5889

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 22:24:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 22:24 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Psychotherapies and Therapists

> 1. Who was the early associate of Freud who broke with him and
> developed what he called "individual therapy"? It identifies
> feelings of inferiority as the root of neurosis, and attempts to
> guide the patient away from an unfruitful quest for superiority
> and into a more healthful interest and involvement in society.
> Name him.

Adler

> 2. This treatment approach uses techniques such as reinforcement,
> punishment, and desensitization to bring about therapeutic goals.

behavioral therapy

> 5. This therapy was developed in the 1940s and '50s by the American
> Fritz Perl and others, drawing on an earlier trend in psychology
> that emphasized restoring balance between the parts of a whole.
> Its name comes from a German word for shape or pattern.

Gestalt therapy

> 6. Now regarded by professionals as a pseudo-therapy, this approach
> was created by Arthur Janov [J as in "jam"] and purported to
> treat neurosis by having the client re-experience childhood
> trauma, sometimes loudly. John Lennon claimed to have benefited
> from it.

regression therapy

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Canadiana - Parking in Toronto

> 1. Street parking in Ontario is regulated using three types of
> zones -- No Parking, No Standing, and No Stopping. In Toronto
> the majority of No Standing zones are located near what common
> roadside feature?

bus stops; curb cuts

> 2. Name any situation when you are allowed to stop in a No
> Stopping zone.

car breaks down

> 3. In what additional situation are you allowed to stop in a No
> Standing zone?

accept or discharge passengers

> 4. When you buy a ticket from a pay-and-display machine or when
> the parking rules change due to the time of day, how long a grace
> period do parking officers give you before you get ticketed?

10 minutes; 15 minutes

> 5. Unless signed otherwise, what is the longest you can legally
> park on a street in Toronto?

12 hours; 24 hours

> 6. Which one of No Parking, No Standing, and No Stopping zones
> allows consideration in some situations for vehicles displaying
> an accessible parking permit (i.e. for what we used to call
> handicapped or disabled drivers)?

No Parking

> 7. For what reason does pay-and-display parking in many areas on
> Sundays not start until 1 pm?

to accommodate churchgoers

> 10. If the police have your car towed, and you don't reclaim it,
> how long is the towing company required to keep it before it
> can be sold off?

2 months; 3 months

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkers

<8d1b0344-8043-42f9-86ef-c7d45699cb09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5890&group=rec.games.trivia#5890

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 23:28:28 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 07:28 UTC

On Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 8:33:02 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Psychotherapies and Therapists
>
> Name the therapist or therapy method described in each case.
>
> 1. Who was the early associate of Freud who broke with him and
> developed what he called "individual therapy"? It identifies
> feelings of inferiority as the root of neurosis, and attempts to
> guide the patient away from an unfruitful quest for superiority
> and into a more healthful interest and involvement in society.
> Name him.

adler

> 2. This treatment approach uses techniques such as reinforcement,
> punishment, and desensitization to bring about therapeutic goals.

behavioral therapy

> 3. This therapy was developed by American psychiatrist Aaron Beck
> and teaches clients to identify and challenge unhelpful
> beliefs and so-called "automatic thoughts", often by using
> daily thought diaries.

cognitive behavior therapy

> 4. This American psychologist originated so-called person-centered
> therapy and popularized the term "counseling" -- principally
> because, at the time, "psychotherapy" was limited to doctors.
> His therapeutic techniques centered on the alignment and trust
> between client and therapist, and, in contrast with <answer 2>,
> on personal experience, feelings, and freedom.

carl rogers

> 5. This therapy was developed in the 1940s and '50s by the American
> Fritz Perl and others, drawing on an earlier trend in psychology
> that emphasized restoring balance between the parts of a whole.
> Its name comes from a German word for shape or pattern.

gestalt therapy

> 6. Now regarded by professionals as a pseudo-therapy, this approach
> was created by Arthur Janov [J as in "jam"] and purported to
> treat neurosis by having the client re-experience childhood
> trauma, sometimes loudly. John Lennon claimed to have benefited
> from it.

primal therapy

> 7. Name the Austrian physician and Holocaust survivor who founded
> logotherapy, oriented toward finding meaning in life, even in
> difficult circumstances.

frankl

> 8. <answer 7>'s logotherapy and Abraham Maslow's humanistic
> therapy are branches of which broader school of psychotherapy?
> It took insights from philosophers such as Kierkegaard,
> Nietzsche, and Sartre, and it sees psychological issues as
> part and parcel of one's personal development and experience
> of being in the world.

existential?

> 9. Name the author of "The Road Less Travelled", which was published
> in 1978 but didn't become a best-seller until several years
> later. Appropriately, it emphasized delayed gratification --
> as well as discipline and acceptance of responsibility.

peck

> 10. This Scottish psychiatrist, the co-author of "Sanity, Madness
> and the Family", was influenced by <answer 8> and believed
> (at least for a time) that schizophrenia was a reaction to
> dysfunctional circumstances rather than an organic illness.
> Though the label "anti-psychiatry" was applied to him by others,
> he rejected this characterization of his ideas.

r d laing

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Canadiana - Parking in Toronto
>
> 1. Street parking in Ontario is regulated using three types of
> zones -- No Parking, No Standing, and No Stopping. In Toronto
> the majority of No Standing zones are located near what common
> roadside feature?

crosswalk ; fire hydrant

> 2. Name any situation when you are allowed to stop in a No
> Stopping zone.

when directed by a police officer

> 3. In what additional situation are you allowed to stop in a No
> Standing zone?

when directed by a police officer

> 4. When you buy a ticket from a pay-and-display machine or when
> the parking rules change due to the time of day, how long a grace
> period do parking officers give you before you get ticketed?

1 hour

> 5. Unless signed otherwise, what is the longest you can legally
> park on a street in Toronto?

72 hours [I think it is considered abandoned after that]

> 6. Which one of No Parking, No Standing, and No Stopping zones
> allows consideration in some situations for vehicles displaying
> an accessible parking permit (i.e. for what we used to call
> handicapped or disabled drivers)?

no standing

> 7. For what reason does pay-and-display parking in many areas on
> Sundays not start until 1 pm?

free parking for church services

> 8. Cases of disputed parking tickets are tried at only one
> courthouse. Which one? (Name or address.)

administrative penalties system offices

> 9. If a parking fine is not paid, what recourse does the city have?

they revoke your license plate

> 10. If the police have your car towed, and you don't reclaim it,
> how long is the towing company required to keep it before it
> can be sold off?

45 days?

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "I can't tell from this... whether you're
> m...@vex.net | a wise man or a wise guy." --Ted Schuerzinger
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkers

<unbi3d$jnnb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5891&group=rec.games.trivia#5891

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 04:46:36 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 12:46 UTC

On 1/4/24 17:32, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Psychotherapies and Therapists
>
> Name the therapist or therapy method described in each case.
>
> 1. Who was the early associate of Freud who broke with him and
> developed what he called "individual therapy"? It identifies
> feelings of inferiority as the root of neurosis, and attempts to
> guide the patient away from an unfruitful quest for superiority
> and into a more healthful interest and involvement in society.
> Name him.

Jung

> 2. This treatment approach uses techniques such as reinforcement,
> punishment, and desensitization to bring about therapeutic goals.

Operant conditioning

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: shrinks and parkers

<uncfrj$okhe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5892&group=rec.games.trivia#5892

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 15:14:27 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 21:14 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Psychotherapies and Therapists
>
> Name the therapist or therapy method described in each case.
>
> 1. Who was the early associate of Freud who broke with him and
> developed what he called "individual therapy"? It identifies
> feelings of inferiority as the root of neurosis, and attempts to
> guide the patient away from an unfruitful quest for superiority
> and into a more healthful interest and involvement in society.
> Name him.

Jung

> 2. This treatment approach uses techniques such as reinforcement,
> punishment, and desensitization to bring about therapeutic goals.
>
> 3. This therapy was developed by American psychiatrist Aaron Beck
> and teaches clients to identify and challenge unhelpful
> beliefs and so-called "automatic thoughts", often by using
> daily thought diaries.
>
> 4. This American psychologist originated so-called person-centered
> therapy and popularized the term "counseling" -- principally
> because, at the time, "psychotherapy" was limited to doctors.
> His therapeutic techniques centered on the alignment and trust
> between client and therapist, and, in contrast with <answer 2>,
> on personal experience, feelings, and freedom.
>
> 5. This therapy was developed in the 1940s and '50s by the American
> Fritz Perl and others, drawing on an earlier trend in psychology
> that emphasized restoring balance between the parts of a whole.
> Its name comes from a German word for shape or pattern.
>
> 6. Now regarded by professionals as a pseudo-therapy, this approach
> was created by Arthur Janov [J as in "jam"] and purported to
> treat neurosis by having the client re-experience childhood
> trauma, sometimes loudly. John Lennon claimed to have benefited
> from it.
>
> 7. Name the Austrian physician and Holocaust survivor who founded
> logotherapy, oriented toward finding meaning in life, even in
> difficult circumstances.

Schweitzer

> 8. <answer 7>'s logotherapy and Abraham Maslow's humanistic
> therapy are branches of which broader school of psychotherapy?
> It took insights from philosophers such as Kierkegaard,
> Nietzsche, and Sartre, and it sees psychological issues as
> part and parcel of one's personal development and experience
> of being in the world.
>
> 9. Name the author of "The Road Less Travelled", which was published
> in 1978 but didn't become a best-seller until several years
> later. Appropriately, it emphasized delayed gratification --
> as well as discipline and acceptance of responsibility.
>
> 10. This Scottish psychiatrist, the co-author of "Sanity, Madness
> and the Family", was influenced by <answer 8> and believed
> (at least for a time) that schizophrenia was a reaction to
> dysfunctional circumstances rather than an organic illness.
> Though the label "anti-psychiatry" was applied to him by others,
> he rejected this characterization of his ideas.
>

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Canadiana - Parking in Toronto
>
> 1. Street parking in Ontario is regulated using three types of
> zones -- No Parking, No Standing, and No Stopping. In Toronto
> the majority of No Standing zones are located near what common
> roadside feature?

Bus stop

> 2. Name any situation when you are allowed to stop in a No
> Stopping zone.

Accident

> 3. In what additional situation are you allowed to stop in a No
> Standing zone?

Emergency equipment passing you.

> 4. When you buy a ticket from a pay-and-display machine or when
> the parking rules change due to the time of day, how long a grace
> period do parking officers give you before you get ticketed?

1 hour

> 5. Unless signed otherwise, what is the longest you can legally
> park on a street in Toronto?

4 hours; 3 hours

> 6. Which one of No Parking, No Standing, and No Stopping zones
> allows consideration in some situations for vehicles displaying
> an accessible parking permit (i.e. for what we used to call
> handicapped or disabled drivers)?
>
> 7. For what reason does pay-and-display parking in many areas on
> Sundays not start until 1 pm?

Religious services usually occur before that time

> 8. Cases of disputed parking tickets are tried at only one
> courthouse. Which one? (Name or address.)
>
> 9. If a parking fine is not paid, what recourse does the city have?

License suspension

> 10. If the police have your car towed, and you don't reclaim it,
> how long is the towing company required to keep it before it
> can be sold off?

3 months; 6 months

Pete Gayde

QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: shrinks and parkers

<UPScneE7M-PR_wH4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5893&group=rec.games.trivia#5893

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: shrinks and parkers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2024 20:59:56 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 20:59 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I did not write either of these rounds.

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Science - Psychotherapies and Therapists

> Name the therapist or therapy method described in each case.

> 1. Who was the early associate of Freud who broke with him and
> developed what he called "individual therapy"? It identifies
> feelings of inferiority as the root of neurosis, and attempts to
> guide the patient away from an unfruitful quest for superiority
> and into a more healthful interest and involvement in society.
> Name him.

Alfred Adler. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 2. This treatment approach uses techniques such as reinforcement,
> punishment, and desensitization to bring about therapeutic goals.

Behavior (modification) therapy. I also accepted "operant
conditioning". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. This therapy was developed by American psychiatrist Aaron Beck
> and teaches clients to identify and challenge unhelpful
> beliefs and so-called "automatic thoughts", often by using
> daily thought diaries.

Cognitive (behavioral) therapy. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. This American psychologist originated so-called person-centered
> therapy and popularized the term "counseling" -- principally
> because, at the time, "psychotherapy" was limited to doctors.
> His therapeutic techniques centered on the alignment and trust
> between client and therapist, and, in contrast with <answer 2>,
> on personal experience, feelings, and freedom.

Carl Rogers. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. This therapy was developed in the 1940s and '50s by the American
> Fritz Perl and others, drawing on an earlier trend in psychology
> that emphasized restoring balance between the parts of a whole.
> Its name comes from a German word for shape or pattern.

Gestalt therapy. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 6. Now regarded by professionals as a pseudo-therapy, this approach
> was created by Arthur Janov [J as in "jam"] and purported to
> treat neurosis by having the client re-experience childhood
> trauma, sometimes loudly. John Lennon claimed to have benefited
> from it.

Primal (scream) therapy. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 7. Name the Austrian physician and Holocaust survivor who founded
> logotherapy, oriented toward finding meaning in life, even in
> difficult circumstances.

Viktor Frankl. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. <answer 7>'s logotherapy and Abraham Maslow's humanistic
> therapy are branches of which broader school of psychotherapy?
> It took insights from philosophers such as Kierkegaard,
> Nietzsche, and Sartre, and it sees psychological issues as
> part and parcel of one's personal development and experience
> of being in the world.

Existential therapy. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. Name the author of "The Road Less Travelled", which was published
> in 1978 but didn't become a best-seller until several years
> later. Appropriately, it emphasized delayed gratification --
> as well as discipline and acceptance of responsibility.

M. Scott Peck. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 10. This Scottish psychiatrist, the co-author of "Sanity, Madness
> and the Family", was influenced by <answer 8> and believed
> (at least for a time) that schizophrenia was a reaction to
> dysfunctional circumstances rather than an organic illness.
> Though the label "anti-psychiatry" was applied to him by others,
> he rejected this characterization of his ideas.

R.D. Laing. 4 for Stephen.

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Canadiana - Parking in Toronto

> 1. Street parking in Ontario is regulated using three types of
> zones -- No Parking, No Standing, and No Stopping. In Toronto
> the majority of No Standing zones are located near what common
> roadside feature?

Bus stops. 4 for Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Name any situation when you are allowed to stop in a No
> Stopping zone.

Conflicting traffic (you'd hit another car); sign or traffic
light requiring you to stop; police officer orders you to stop;
emergency vehicle approaching with lights and/or siren on; breakdown.
I accepted "accident" as a form of conflicting traffic. 4 for
Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

In the original game we expected only the first three of these,
because the provincial Highway Traffic Act enumerates them in the
definition of what "stopping, when prohibited" does not include.
But the other two are certainly correct and are addressed in other
sections of the Act.

> 3. In what additional situation are you allowed to stop in a No
> Standing zone?

While dropping off or picking up passengers (not goods).
4 for Dan Blum.

> 4. When you buy a ticket from a pay-and-display machine or when
> the parking rules change due to the time of day, how long a grace
> period do parking officers give you before you get ticketed?

5 minutes.

> 5. Unless signed otherwise, what is the longest you can legally
> park on a street in Toronto?

3 hours. 2 for Pete.

> 6. Which one of No Parking, No Standing, and No Stopping zones
> allows consideration in some situations for vehicles displaying
> an accessible parking permit (i.e. for what we used to call
> handicapped or disabled drivers)?

No Parking. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 7. For what reason does pay-and-display parking in many areas on
> Sundays not start until 1 pm?

For the benefit of people driving to church. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Pete.

> 8. Cases of disputed parking tickets are tried at only one
> courthouse. Which one? (Name or address.)

Provincial Offences Court East, 1530 Markham Rd.

> 9. If a parking fine is not paid, what recourse does the city have?

You won't be allowed to renew your license plate. 3 for Stephen.

> 10. If the police have your car towed, and you don't reclaim it,
> how long is the towing company required to keep it before it
> can be sold off?

90 days. I accepted 3 months. 3 for Pete. 2 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Spo Sci Can
Stephen Perry 0 36 40 11 87
Dan Blum 8 12 12 21 53
Joshua Kreitzer 8 23 12 4 47
Pete Gayde 0 30 0 17 47
Dan Tilque 0 20 4 0 24
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 0 0

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "C and C++ are two different languages.
msb@vex.net That's UK policy..." -- Clive Feather