"But this one goes to eleven." -- Nigel Tufnel

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, rivers

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, riversMark Brader
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, riversswp
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, riversDan Blum
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, riversErland Sommarskog
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, riversJoshua Kreitzer
+- QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, riversDan Tilque
`- Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8 answers: 1995, riversMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, rivers

<dvqcnVmpSv5P_wH4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5894&group=rec.games.trivia#5894

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, rivers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2024 21:02:10 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 21:02 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 8, Round 7 - History - 1995

All these events took place in 1995.

1. Which country's membership in the British -- er, that is, in
the Commonwealth of Nations -- was suspended due to repeated
human-rights violations?

2. What was released in the Tokyo subway, killing 12 people and
injuring over 5,000?

3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
of the world?

4. Who was famously found not guilty of killing his wife and
another person?

5. Which online sales web site began operations?

6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?

7. In which US city did a terrorist attack destroy the federal
building?

8. Whose 35,000-word manifesto was published by the "Washington
Post", "New York Times", and other papers?

9. Which country began peace talks with Israel?

10. In which country did the US withdraw its peacekeeping troops?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
fbzrguvat yvxr "cbvfba tnf" ba gur frpbaq dhrfgvba, tb onpx naq
or zber fcrpvsvp. Jr arrq gur anzr bs gur fcrpvsvp ntrag.

* Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers

Please see the handout at:

http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g8r8/rivs.png

For each question we will name a river of some importance, and
you will simply tell us which numbered dot marks its mouth, or
if it has a large delta, then the general area of its mouths.
Note that most of the dots are on coastlines, but not all.

1. Volga.
2. Rhine.
3. Hudson.
4. Congo.
5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].
6. Saskatchewan.
7. Danube.
8. Ganges.
9. Amazon.
10. Loire ["Lwar"].

So there were 23 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points,
decode the rot13 and give the correct dot number for each.

11. Punb Cuenln.
12. Pbybenqb.
13. Pbyhzovn.
14. Rhcuengrf.
15. Vaqhf.
16. Yvzcbcb.
17. Znpxramvr.
18. Zvffvffvccv.
19. Zvffbhev.
20. Arteb.
21. Aryfba.
22. Avtre.
23. Avyr.
24. Bo.
25. Bqre.
26. Bevabpb.
27. Cnenaá.
28. Euôar.
29. Fg. Ynjerapr.
30. Fãb Senapvfpb.
31. Lnatgmr.
32. Lryybj.
33. Mnzormv.

--
Mark Brader|"But how can we do something about something that isn't happening?"
Toronto |"It's much easier to solve an imaginary problem than a real one."

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, rivers

<6992bac1-d5c6-4ad7-804f-797954c687edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5895&group=rec.games.trivia#5895

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 14:16:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, rivers
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 22:16 UTC

On Monday, January 8, 2024 at 4:02:23 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - 1995
>
> All these events took place in 1995.

it was a good year

> 1. Which country's membership in the British -- er, that is, in
> the Commonwealth of Nations -- was suspended due to repeated
> human-rights violations?

nigeria

> 2. What was released in the Tokyo subway, killing 12 people and
> injuring over 5,000?

sarin

> 3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
> of the world?

bosnia [sore subject for those who were there the prior 4 years]

> 4. Who was famously found not guilty of killing his wife and
> another person?

orenthal james simpson

> 5. Which online sales web site began operations?

amazon

> 6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?

jupiter

> 7. In which US city did a terrorist attack destroy the federal
> building?

oklahoma city

> 8. Whose 35,000-word manifesto was published by the "Washington
> Post", "New York Times", and other papers?

ted kaczynski's unabomber manifesto

> 9. Which country began peace talks with Israel?

palestine [oslo accords]

> 10. In which country did the US withdraw its peacekeeping troops?

somalia?

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: If you said
> something like "poison gas" on the second question, go back and
> be more specific. We need the name of the specific agent.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g8r8/rivs.png
>
> For each question we will name a river of some importance, and
> you will simply tell us which numbered dot marks its mouth, or
> if it has a large delta, then the general area of its mouths.
> Note that most of the dots are on coastlines, but not all.
>
> 1. Volga.

21

> 2. Rhine.

16

8

> 4. Congo.

31

> 5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].

27

7

> 7. Danube.

19

> 8. Ganges.

25

> 9. Amazon.

13

> 10. Loire ["Lwar"].

15

> So there were 23 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points,
> decode the rot13 and give the correct dot number for each.
>
> 11. Chao Phraya.
> 12. Colorado.
> 13. Columbia.
> 14. Euphrates.
> 15. Indus.
> 16. Limpopo.
> 17. Mackenzie.
> 18. Mississippi.
> 19. Missouri.
> 20. Negro.
> 21. Nelson.
> 22. Niger.
> 23. Nile.
> 24. Ob.
> 25. Oder.
> 26. Orinoco.
> 27. Paraná.
> 28. Rhône.
> 29. St. Lawrence.
> 30. São Francisco.
> 31. Yangtze.
> 32. Yellow.
> 33. Zambezi.
>
> --
> Mark Brader|"But how can we do something about something that isn't happening?"
> Toronto |"It's much easier to solve an imaginary problem than a real one."
> m...@vex.net| --Lynn & Jay: "Yes, Prime Minister" (2013)
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, rivers

<unht3a$24q$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5896&group=rec.games.trivia#5896

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 22:31:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 22:31 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - 1995

> 2. What was released in the Tokyo subway, killing 12 people and
> injuring over 5,000?

sarin gas

> 3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
> of the world?

the Balkans

> 4. Who was famously found not guilty of killing his wife and
> another person?

O. J. Simpson

> 5. Which online sales web site began operations?

eBay

> 6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?

Jupiter

> 7. In which US city did a terrorist attack destroy the federal
> building?

Oklahoma City

> 8. Whose 35,000-word manifesto was published by the "Washington
> Post", "New York Times", and other papers?

Unabomber

> 9. Which country began peace talks with Israel?

Jordan

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers

> Please see the handout at:

> 1. Volga.

21

> 2. Rhine.

18

8

> 4. Congo.

31

> 5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].

27

4

> 7. Danube.

19

> 8. Ganges.

25

> 9. Amazon.

14

> 10. Loire ["Lwar"].

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, rivers

<XnsB0F416C464EDYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5897&group=rec.games.trivia#5897

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 00:08:23 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 23:08 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - 1995
>
> All these events took place in 1995.
>
> 1. Which country's membership in the British -- er, that is, in
> the Commonwealth of Nations -- was suspended due to repeated
> human-rights violations?

Zimbabwe
> 2. What was released in the Tokyo subway, killing 12 people and
> injuring over 5,000?

Sarin
> 3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
> of the world?

Bosnia-Hercegovina
> 4. Who was famously found not guilty of killing his wife and
> another person?

OJ Simpson
> 5. Which online sales web site began operations?

Amazon

> 6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?

Pluto
> 7. In which US city did a terrorist attack destroy the federal
> building?

Oklahoma City
> 9. Which country began peace talks with Israel?

Jordan
> 10. In which country did the US withdraw its peacekeeping troops?

Somalia
> * Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers
> 1. Volga.

21

> 2. Rhine.
16

8

> 4. Congo.

31

> 5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].

27

3

> 7. Danube.

19

> 8. Ganges.

25

> 9. Amazon.

13

> 10. Loire ["Lwar"].

15

2

1

> 14. Rhcuengrf.

22

> 15. Vaqhf.

24

6

5

> 20. Arteb.

11

> 21. Aryfba.
> 22. Avtre.

22

> 23. Avyr.

20

> 24. Bo.

23

> 25. Bqre.

18

> 26. Bevabpb.

10

> 27. Cnenaá.

12

> 28. Euôar.

17

9

> 31. Lnatgmr.

29

> 32. Lryybj.

28

> 33. Mnzormv.

32

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, rivers

<ef7f475e-3c5f-4149-82be-830d5193eba2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5898&group=rec.games.trivia#5898

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 18:37:58 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 02:37 UTC

On Monday, January 8, 2024 at 3:02:23 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - 1995
>
> All these events took place in 1995.
>
> 1. Which country's membership in the British -- er, that is, in
> the Commonwealth of Nations -- was suspended due to repeated
> human-rights violations?

Zimbabwe

> 2. What was released in the Tokyo subway, killing 12 people and
> injuring over 5,000?

sarin gas

> 3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
> of the world?

Bosnia and Herzegovina

> 4. Who was famously found not guilty of killing his wife and
> another person?

O.J. Simpson

> 5. Which online sales web site began operations?

Amazon.com

> 6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?

Jupiter; Saturn

> 7. In which US city did a terrorist attack destroy the federal
> building?

Oklahoma City

> 8. Whose 35,000-word manifesto was published by the "Washington
> Post", "New York Times", and other papers?

Ted Kaczynski

> 9. Which country began peace talks with Israel?

Jordan

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g8r8/rivs.png
>
> For each question we will name a river of some importance, and
> you will simply tell us which numbered dot marks its mouth, or
> if it has a large delta, then the general area of its mouths.
> Note that most of the dots are on coastlines, but not all.
>
> 1. Volga.

21

> 2. Rhine.

16

8

> 4. Congo.

31

> 5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].

27

4

> 7. Danube.

19

> 8. Ganges.

25

> 9. Amazon.

13; 14

> 10. Loire ["Lwar"].

17; 15

> So there were 23 decoys. If you like, for fun but for no points,
> decode the rot13 and give the correct dot number for each.
>
> 11. Punb Cuenln.

26

2

1

> 14. Rhcuengrf.

22

> 15. Vaqhf.

24

6

5

> 22. Avtre.

30

> 23. Avyr.

20

> 24. Bo.

I just want to say that it's interesting that this river's name in rot-13 is its name in reverse.

> 25. Bqre.

18

> 29. Fg. Ynjerapr.

Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1995, rivers

<unk9nm$24sbf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5899&group=rec.games.trivia#5899

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 12:18:59 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 20:18 UTC

On 1/8/24 13:02, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - 1995
>
> All these events took place in 1995.
>
> 1. Which country's membership in the British -- er, that is, in
> the Commonwealth of Nations -- was suspended due to repeated
> human-rights violations?
>
> 2. What was released in the Tokyo subway, killing 12 people and
> injuring over 5,000?

sarin

> 3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
> of the world?

Northern Ireland

> 4. Who was famously found not guilty of killing his wife and
> another person?

OJ Simpson

> 5. Which online sales web site began operations?

Amazon

> 6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?

Jupiter

> 7. In which US city did a terrorist attack destroy the federal
> building?

Oklahoma City

> 8. Whose 35,000-word manifesto was published by the "Washington
> Post", "New York Times", and other papers?

Unabomber

> 9. Which country began peace talks with Israel?

Jordan

> 10. In which country did the US withdraw its peacekeeping troops?

Bosnia

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> fbzrguvat yvxr "cbvfba tnf" ba gur frpbaq dhrfgvba, tb onpx naq
> or zber fcrpvsvp. Jr arrq gur anzr bs gur fcrpvsvp ntrag.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g8r8/rivs.png
>
> For each question we will name a river of some importance, and
> you will simply tell us which numbered dot marks its mouth, or
> if it has a large delta, then the general area of its mouths.
> Note that most of the dots are on coastlines, but not all.
>
> 1. Volga.

21

> 2. Rhine.

16

8

> 4. Congo.

31

> 5. Mekong ["MAY-kong"].

27

7

> 7. Danube.

19

> 8. Ganges.

25

> 9. Amazon.

13

> 10. Loire ["Lwar"].

15

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8 answers: 1995, rivers

<M5Scne3a1ey9UD34nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5900&group=rec.games.trivia#5900

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 7-8 answers: 1995, rivers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 05:24:48 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 05:24 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The geography round.

> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - 1995

> All these events took place in 1995.

> 1. Which country's membership in the British -- er, that is, in
> the Commonwealth of Nations -- was suspended due to repeated
> human-rights violations?

Nigeria. (Suspended until 1999.) 4 for Stephen.

> 2. What was released in the Tokyo subway, killing 12 people and
> injuring over 5,000?

Sarin. 4 for everyone -- Stephen, Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 3. The signing of the Dayton Agreement brought peace to what part
> of the world?

Bosnia (accepting a less specific reference such as Balkan Peninsula).
4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Erland, and Joshua.

> 4. Who was famously found not guilty of killing his wife and
> another person?

O.J. Simpson. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Which online sales web site began operations?

EBay. 4 for Dan Blum.

Amazon was founded in 1994.

> 6. Which planet did the spacecraft Galileo orbit?

Jupiter. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

> 7. In which US city did a terrorist attack destroy the federal
> building?

Oklahoma City. 4 for everyone.

> 8. Whose 35,000-word manifesto was published by the "Washington
> Post", "New York Times", and other papers?

Theodore Kaczynski ["ka-ZIN-ski"], the Unabomber. (Accepting either.)
4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Which country began peace talks with Israel?

Syria.

The Israel-Jordan treaty was signed in 1994.

> 10. In which country did the US withdraw its peacekeeping troops?

Somalia. 4 for Stephen and Erland.

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Geography - Rivers

> Please see the handout at:

> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g8r8/rivs.png

> For each question we will name a river of some importance, and
> you will simply tell us which numbered dot marks its mouth, or
> if it has a large delta, then the general area of its mouths.
> Note that most of the dots are on coastlines, but not all.

In the original game the audio round -- which I also wrote -- was
the easiest, and this one was second-easiest.

#21. (On the Caspian Sea.) 4 for everyone.

#16. 4 for Stephen, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

#8. 4 for everyone.

#31. 4 for everyone.

#27. 4 for everyone.

#4. (On Lake Winnipeg.) 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

#19. 4 for everyone.

#25. 4 for everyone.

#13. 4 for Stephen, Erland, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

#15. 4 for Stephen, Erland, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

#26. Joshua got this.

#2. Erland and Joshua got this.

#1. Erland and Joshua got this.

#22. Erland and Joshua got this.

#24. Erland and Joshua got this.

#33.

#3.

#6. Erland and Joshua got this.

#5. (On the Mississippi R.) Erland and Joshua got this.

#11. (On the Amazon R.) Erland got this.

#7.

#30. Joshua got this.

#20. Erland and Joshua got this.

#23. Erland got this.

Joshua was interested to note that the rot13 version of this river's
name is the same as its reversal.

#18. Erland and Joshua got this.

#10. Erland got this.

#12. Erland got this.

#17. Erland got this.

#9. Erland and Joshua got this.

#14.

#29. Erland got this.

#28. Erland got this.

#32. Erland got this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Spo Sci Can His Geo FOUR
Stephen Perry 0 36 40 11 32 36 144
Joshua Kreitzer 8 23 12 4 23 37 95
Dan Blum 8 12 12 21 28 28 89
Dan Tilque 0 20 4 0 20 36 80
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 0 20 36 56
Pete Gayde 0 30 0 17 -- -- 47

--
Mark Brader "I am Sam. Sam I am.
Toronto I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."