Eat drink and be merry! Tommorrow you may be in Utah.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churches

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churchesMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churchesDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churchesswp
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churchesJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churchesDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churchesErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churchesPete Gayde
`* QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanLit and churchesMark Brader
 `- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanLit and churchesErland Sommarskog

1
QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churches

<OeCdncATWJJbXzn4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5908&group=rec.games.trivia#5908

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churches
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 05:29:42 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 05:29 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana Literature - Novels by Province/Territory

You'll be given the title and author of a Canadian novel; you give
us the province or territory in which it is principally set. Note:
this refers to provinces and territories as they exist today, not
necessarily according to their boundaries at the time of the novel.

Answers do not repeat.

1. "Bury Your Dead", by Louise Penny.
2. "Late Nights on Air", by Elizabeth Hay.
3. "Nights Below Station Street", by David Adams Richards.
4. "The Bishop's Man", by Linden MacIntyre.
5.. "A Complicated Kindness", by Myriam Toews ["taves"].
6. "The Englishman's Boy", by Guy Vanderhaege ["van-der-haig"].
7. "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams", by Wayne Johnston.
8. "The Call of the Wild", by Jack London.
9. "Green Grass, Running Water", by Thomas King.
10. "Son of a Trickster", by Eden Robinson.

* Game 9, Round 3 - Arts Geography - Religious Buildings

Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g9r3/buil.pdf

1. The first four questions are about Christian churches -- photos
A-H, on page 1 of the handout. Do be careful of table-talk
on these four questions. Okay, in what city would you find
church B?

2. In what city is church E?

3. Of the remaining Christian churches -- photos A-H -- which one
is in England?

4. And which Christian church is in France?

5. For the remaining questions you will be given a letter and
asked to name the country. Photos I-L are Islamic churches,
which is to say mosques. Mosque J was previously a Christian
church. In what country is it?

6. Turning to page 2, in what country is mosque K?

7. Photos M-P were built as Hindu temples, although the one in N
is now used by Buddhists. What country is that one in?

8. What country is temple P in?

9. Photos Q-T are Buddhist temples. Photo Q shows the Tran
Quoc Pagoda. What country is it in?

10. Photo R shows the Temple of the Blue Waves, or Seiganto-Ji.
What country is it in?

So there were 10 decoys. Please decode the rot13 and answer
these additional questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
Questions #11-17 relate to Christian churches.

11. Jung pbhagel vf puhepu U va?
12. Jung fcrpvny nepuvgrpgheny srngher qbrf puhepu U unir?
13. Naq, nppbeqvatyl, jung vf gur anzr bs puhepu U (va Ratyvfu)?
14. Jung pvgl vf puhepu N va?
15. Jung vf puhepu N'f anzr?
16. Jung pvgl vf puhepu S va?
17. Jung pbhagel vf puhepu T va?
18. Ba puhepu T, jung vf gur oebja zngrevny?
19. Jung pvgl vf zbfdhr V va?
20. Jung vf zbfdhr V'f anzr?
21. Jung pbhagel vf zbfdhr Y va?
22. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr Z va?
23. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr B va?
24. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr F va?
25. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr G va?

--
Mark Brader | "But wherever information gathers and flows,
Toronto | two predators follow closely behind it:

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churches

<uo3mfo$108jp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5910&group=rec.games.trivia#5910

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churches
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 08:28:37 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:28 UTC

On 1/14/24 21:29, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana Literature - Novels by Province/Territory
>
> You'll be given the title and author of a Canadian novel; you give
> us the province or territory in which it is principally set. Note:
> this refers to provinces and territories as they exist today, not
> necessarily according to their boundaries at the time of the novel.
>
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> 1. "Bury Your Dead", by Louise Penny.
> 2. "Late Nights on Air", by Elizabeth Hay.
> 3. "Nights Below Station Street", by David Adams Richards.
> 4. "The Bishop's Man", by Linden MacIntyre.
> 5.. "A Complicated Kindness", by Myriam Toews ["taves"].
> 6. "The Englishman's Boy", by Guy Vanderhaege ["van-der-haig"].
> 7. "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams", by Wayne Johnston.
> 8. "The Call of the Wild", by Jack London.

Yukon

> 9. "Green Grass, Running Water", by Thomas King.
> 10. "Son of a Trickster", by Eden Robinson.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Arts Geography - Religious Buildings
>
> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g9r3/buil.pdf
>
> 1. The first four questions are about Christian churches -- photos
> A-H, on page 1 of the handout. Do be careful of table-talk
> on these four questions. Okay, in what city would you find
> church B?
>
> 2. In what city is church E?

Moscow, Russia

> 3. Of the remaining Christian churches -- photos A-H -- which one
> is in England?

> 4. And which Christian church is in France?

> 5. For the remaining questions you will be given a letter and
> asked to name the country. Photos I-L are Islamic churches,
> which is to say mosques. Mosque J was previously a Christian
> church. In what country is it?

Turkey

> 6. Turning to page 2, in what country is mosque K?

Saudi Arabia

> 7. Photos M-P were built as Hindu temples, although the one in N
> is now used by Buddhists. What country is that one in?

Nepal

> 8. What country is temple P in?
>
> 9. Photos Q-T are Buddhist temples. Photo Q shows the Tran
> Quoc Pagoda. What country is it in?

Thailand

> 10. Photo R shows the Temple of the Blue Waves, or Seiganto-Ji.
> What country is it in?

Japan

> So there were 10 decoys. Please decode the rot13 and answer
> these additional questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
> Questions #11-17 relate to Christian churches.
>
> 11. Jung pbhagel vf puhepu U va?
> 12. Jung fcrpvny nepuvgrpgheny srngher qbrf puhepu U unir?
> 13. Naq, nppbeqvatyl, jung vf gur anzr bs puhepu U (va Ratyvfu)?
> 14. Jung pvgl vf puhepu N va?
> 15. Jung vf puhepu N'f anzr?
> 16. Jung pvgl vf puhepu S va?
> 17. Jung pbhagel vf puhepu T va?
> 18. Ba puhepu T, jung vf gur oebja zngrevny?
> 19. Jung pvgl vf zbfdhr V va?
> 20. Jung vf zbfdhr V'f anzr?
> 21. Jung pbhagel vf zbfdhr Y va?
> 22. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr Z va?
> 23. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr B va?
> 24. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr F va?
> 25. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr G va?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churches

<81ce049a-6107-4809-86c5-de05987aaf31n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5911&group=rec.games.trivia#5911

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 12:41:29 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 20:41 UTC

On Monday, January 15, 2024 at 10:35:00 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-20,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana Literature - Novels by Province/Territory
>
> You'll be given the title and author of a Canadian novel; you give
> us the province or territory in which it is principally set. Note:
> this refers to provinces and territories as they exist today, not
> necessarily according to their boundaries at the time of the novel.
>
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> 1. "Bury Your Dead", by Louise Penny.

quebec

> 2. "Late Nights on Air", by Elizabeth Hay.

ontario

> 3. "Nights Below Station Street", by David Adams Richards.

ontario

> 4. "The Bishop's Man", by Linden MacIntyre.

nova scotia

> 5.. "A Complicated Kindness", by Myriam Toews ["taves"].

ontario

> 6. "The Englishman's Boy", by Guy Vanderhaege ["van-der-haig"].

ontario

> 7. "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams", by Wayne Johnston.

ontario

> 8. "The Call of the Wild", by Jack London.

yukon

> 9. "Green Grass, Running Water", by Thomas King.

ontario

> 10. "Son of a Trickster", by Eden Robinson.

ontario

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Arts Geography - Religious Buildings
>
> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g9r3/buil.pdf
>
> 1. The first four questions are about Christian churches -- photos
> A-H, on page 1 of the handout. Do be careful of table-talk
> on these four questions. Okay, in what city would you find
> church B?
>
> 2. In what city is church E?
>
> 3. Of the remaining Christian churches -- photos A-H -- which one
> is in England?
>
> 4. And which Christian church is in France?
>
> 5. For the remaining questions you will be given a letter and
> asked to name the country. Photos I-L are Islamic churches,
> which is to say mosques. Mosque J was previously a Christian
> church. In what country is it?
>
> 6. Turning to page 2, in what country is mosque K?
>
> 7. Photos M-P were built as Hindu temples, although the one in N
> is now used by Buddhists. What country is that one in?
>
> 8. What country is temple P in?
>
> 9. Photos Q-T are Buddhist temples. Photo Q shows the Tran
> Quoc Pagoda. What country is it in?
>
> 10. Photo R shows the Temple of the Blue Waves, or Seiganto-Ji.
> What country is it in?
>

> So there were 10 decoys. Please decode the rot13 and answer
> these additional questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
> Questions #11-17 relate to Christian churches.
>
> 11. Jung pbhagel vf puhepu U va?
> 12. Jung fcrpvny nepuvgrpgheny srngher qbrf puhepu U unir?
> 13. Naq, nppbeqvatyl, jung vf gur anzr bs puhepu U (va Ratyvfu)?
> 14. Jung pvgl vf puhepu N va?
> 15. Jung vf puhepu N'f anzr?
> 16. Jung pvgl vf puhepu S va?
> 17. Jung pbhagel vf puhepu T va?
> 18. Ba puhepu T, jung vf gur oebja zngrevny?
> 19. Jung pvgl vf zbfdhr V va?
> 20. Jung vf zbfdhr V'f anzr?
> 21. Jung pbhagel vf zbfdhr Y va?
> 22. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr Z va?
> 23. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr B va?
> 24. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr F va?
> 25. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr G va?
>
> --
> Mark Brader | "But wherever information gathers and flows,
> Toronto | two predators follow closely behind it:
> m...@vex.net | censorship and surveillance." --Sarah Jeong
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churches

<239d227b-7a07-4ab0-b17f-621139f4f1bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5913&group=rec.games.trivia#5913

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:02:24 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 02:02 UTC

On Monday, January 15, 2024 at 9:35:00 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana Literature - Novels by Province/Territory
>
> You'll be given the title and author of a Canadian novel; you give
> us the province or territory in which it is principally set. Note:
> this refers to provinces and territories as they exist today, not
> necessarily according to their boundaries at the time of the novel.
>
> 1. "Bury Your Dead", by Louise Penny.

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> 2. "Late Nights on Air", by Elizabeth Hay.

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> 3. "Nights Below Station Street", by David Adams Richards.

Manitoba; Saskatchewan
> 4. "The Bishop's Man", by Linden MacIntyre.

Manitoba; Saskatchewan
> 5.. "A Complicated Kindness", by Myriam Toews ["taves"].

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> 6. "The Englishman's Boy", by Guy Vanderhaege ["van-der-haig"].

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> 7. "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams", by Wayne Johnston.

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> 8. "The Call of the Wild", by Jack London.

Yukon
> 9. "Green Grass, Running Water", by Thomas King.

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> 10. "Son of a Trickster", by Eden Robinson.

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Arts Geography - Religious Buildings
>
> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g9r3/buil.pdf
>
> 1. The first four questions are about Christian churches -- photos
> A-H, on page 1 of the handout. Do be careful of table-talk
> on these four questions. Okay, in what city would you find
> church B?

Barcelona

> 2. In what city is church E?

Moscow

> 3. Of the remaining Christian churches -- photos A-H -- which one
> is in England?

A; H

> 4. And which Christian church is in France?

> 5. For the remaining questions you will be given a letter and
> asked to name the country. Photos I-L are Islamic churches,
> which is to say mosques. Mosque J was previously a Christian
> church. In what country is it?

Turkiye
> 6. Turning to page 2, in what country is mosque K?

Saudi Arabia

> 7. Photos M-P were built as Hindu temples, although the one in N
> is now used by Buddhists. What country is that one in?

Cambodia

> 8. What country is temple P in?

India

> 9. Photos Q-T are Buddhist temples. Photo Q shows the Tran
> Quoc Pagoda. What country is it in?

Vietnam

> 10. Photo R shows the Temple of the Blue Waves, or Seiganto-Ji.
> What country is it in?

Japan

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churches

<uo4t3q$ac1$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5914&group=rec.games.trivia#5914

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 03:27:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 03:27 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana Literature - Novels by Province/Territory

> 4. "The Bishop's Man", by Linden MacIntyre.

Quebec

> 8. "The Call of the Wild", by Jack London.

Yukon

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Arts Geography - Religious Buildings

> 1. The first four questions are about Christian churches -- photos
> A-H, on page 1 of the handout. Do be careful of table-talk
> on these four questions. Okay, in what city would you find
> church B?

Barcelona

> 2. In what city is church E?

Moscow

> 3. Of the remaining Christian churches -- photos A-H -- which one
> is in England?

> 4. And which Christian church is in France?

> 5. For the remaining questions you will be given a letter and
> asked to name the country. Photos I-L are Islamic churches,
> which is to say mosques. Mosque J was previously a Christian
> church. In what country is it?

Turkey

> 6. Turning to page 2, in what country is mosque K?

Saudi Arabia

> 7. Photos M-P were built as Hindu temples, although the one in N
> is now used by Buddhists. What country is that one in?

Cambodia

> 8. What country is temple P in?

India

> 9. Photos Q-T are Buddhist temples. Photo Q shows the Tran
> Quoc Pagoda. What country is it in?

Vietnam

> 10. Photo R shows the Temple of the Blue Waves, or Seiganto-Ji.
> What country is it in?

Japan

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churches

<XnsB0FBD22344798Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5916&group=rec.games.trivia#5916

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 20:39:26 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:39 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 3 - Arts Geography - Religious Buildings
>
> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g9r3/buil.pdf
>
> 1. The first four questions are about Christian churches -- photos
> A-H, on page 1 of the handout. Do be careful of table-talk
> on these four questions. Okay, in what city would you find
> church B?

Barcelona
> 2. In what city is church E?

Moscow

> 3. Of the remaining Christian churches -- photos A-H -- which one
> is in England?

> 4. And which Christian church is in France?

> 5. For the remaining questions you will be given a letter and
> asked to name the country. Photos I-L are Islamic churches,
> which is to say mosques. Mosque J was previously a Christian
> church. In what country is it?

Turkey
> 6. Turning to page 2, in what country is mosque K?

Saudi-Arabia

> 7. Photos M-P were built as Hindu temples, although the one in N
> is now used by Buddhists. What country is that one in?

Thailand
> 8. What country is temple P in?

India
> 9. Photos Q-T are Buddhist temples. Photo Q shows the Tran
> Quoc Pagoda. What country is it in?

Vietnam
> 10. Photo R shows the Temple of the Blue Waves, or Seiganto-Ji.
> What country is it in?

China

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLit and churches

<uo7i4p$1r8al$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5917&group=rec.games.trivia#5917

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:39:04 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 03:39 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-20,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana Literature - Novels by Province/Territory
>
> You'll be given the title and author of a Canadian novel; you give
> us the province or territory in which it is principally set. Note:
> this refers to provinces and territories as they exist today, not
> necessarily according to their boundaries at the time of the novel.
>
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> 1. "Bury Your Dead", by Louise Penny.

Prince Edward Island

> 2. "Late Nights on Air", by Elizabeth Hay.

Quebec

> 3. "Nights Below Station Street", by David Adams Richards.

Ontario

> 4. "The Bishop's Man", by Linden MacIntyre.

Saskatchewan

> 5.. "A Complicated Kindness", by Myriam Toews ["taves"].

Manitoba

> 6. "The Englishman's Boy", by Guy Vanderhaege ["van-der-haig"].

Alberta

> 7. "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams", by Wayne Johnston.

British Columbia

> 8. "The Call of the Wild", by Jack London.

Yukon Territory

> 9. "Green Grass, Running Water", by Thomas King.

Newfoundland and Labrador

> 10. "Son of a Trickster", by Eden Robinson.

Nova Scotia

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Arts Geography - Religious Buildings
>
> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g9r3/buil.pdf
>
> 1. The first four questions are about Christian churches -- photos
> A-H, on page 1 of the handout. Do be careful of table-talk
> on these four questions. Okay, in what city would you find
> church B?

Barcelona

> 2. In what city is church E?

Moscow

> 3. Of the remaining Christian churches -- photos A-H -- which one
> is in England?

> 4. And which Christian church is in France?

> 5. For the remaining questions you will be given a letter and
> asked to name the country. Photos I-L are Islamic churches,
> which is to say mosques. Mosque J was previously a Christian
> church. In what country is it?

Turkey

> 6. Turning to page 2, in what country is mosque K?

Saudi Arabia

> 7. Photos M-P were built as Hindu temples, although the one in N
> is now used by Buddhists. What country is that one in?

Cambodia

> 8. What country is temple P in?

India; England

> 9. Photos Q-T are Buddhist temples. Photo Q shows the Tran
> Quoc Pagoda. What country is it in?

Vietnam

> 10. Photo R shows the Temple of the Blue Waves, or Seiganto-Ji.
> What country is it in?

Japan

> So there were 10 decoys. Please decode the rot13 and answer
> these additional questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
> Questions #11-17 relate to Christian churches.
>
> 11. Jung pbhagel vf puhepu U va?
> 12. Jung fcrpvny nepuvgrpgheny srngher qbrf puhepu U unir?
> 13. Naq, nppbeqvatyl, jung vf gur anzr bs puhepu U (va Ratyvfu)?
> 14. Jung pvgl vf puhepu N va?
> 15. Jung vf puhepu N'f anzr?
> 16. Jung pvgl vf puhepu S va?
> 17. Jung pbhagel vf puhepu T va?
> 18. Ba puhepu T, jung vf gur oebja zngrevny?
> 19. Jung pvgl vf zbfdhr V va?
> 20. Jung vf zbfdhr V'f anzr?
> 21. Jung pbhagel vf zbfdhr Y va?
> 22. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr Z va?
> 23. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr B va?
> 24. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr F va?
> 25. Jung pbhagel vf grzcyr G va?

Pete Gayde

QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanLit and churches

<97Gdnch-it4qFjf4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5918&group=rec.games.trivia#5918

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanLit and churches
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 14:48:23 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 14:48 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-20,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The religious buildings.

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana Literature - Novels by Province/Territory

> You'll be given the title and author of a Canadian novel; you give
> us the province or territory in which it is principally set. Note:
> this refers to provinces and territories as they exist today, not
> necessarily according to their boundaries at the time of the novel.

> Answers do not repeat.

> 1. "Bury Your Dead", by Louise Penny.

Quebec. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. "Late Nights on Air", by Elizabeth Hay.

Northwest Territories.

> 3. "Nights Below Station Street", by David Adams Richards.

New Brunswick.

> 4. "The Bishop's Man", by Linden MacIntyre.

Nova Scotia. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. "A Complicated Kindness", by Myriam Toews ["taves"].

Manitoba. 4 for Pete. 3 for Joshua.

> 6. "The Englishman's Boy", by Guy Vanderhaege ["van-der-haig"].

Saskatchewan. 2 for Joshua.

> 7. "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams", by Wayne Johnston.

Newfoundland & Labrador.

> 8. "The Call of the Wild", by Jack London.

Yukon. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. "Green Grass, Running Water", by Thomas King.

Alberta.

> 10. "Son of a Trickster", by Eden Robinson.

BC.

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Arts Geography - Religious Buildings

> Please see: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/g9r3/buil.pdf

> 1. The first four questions are about Christian churches -- photos
> A-H, on page 1 of the handout. Do be careful of table-talk
> on these four questions. Okay, in what city would you find
> church B?

Barcelona. (Bas�lica de la Sagrada Fam�lia.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Erland, and Pete.

> 2. In what city is church E?

Moscow. (Cathedral of St. Basil or St. Vasily.) 4 for Dan Tilque,
Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete.

> 3. Of the remaining Christian churches -- photos A-H -- which one
> is in England?

C. (St. Paul's Cathedral, London.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 4. And which Christian church is in France?

D. (Basilique du Sacr�-Coeur, Paris.) 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 5. For the remaining questions you will be given a letter and
> asked to name the country. Photos I-L are Islamic churches,
> which is to say mosques. Mosque J was previously a Christian
> church. In what country is it?

Turkey (or, okay, T�rkiye). (Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.) 4 for
Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete.

> 6. Turning to page 2, in what country is mosque K?

Saudi Arabia. (Al-Haram or the Great Mosque, Mecca. The black cube
is the Kaaba, which means Cube, and it contains the Black Stone.)
4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete.

> 7. Photos M-P were built as Hindu temples, although the one in N
> is now used by Buddhists. What country is that one in?

Cambodia. (Angkor Wat, near Siem Reap.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 8. What country is temple P in?

Canada. (B.A.P.S. Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, Toronto. Northwest
Etobicoke to be more precise.)

> 9. Photos Q-T are Buddhist temples. Photo Q shows the Tran
> Quoc Pagoda. What country is it in?

Vietnam. (Hanoi.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete.

> 10. Photo R shows the Temple of the Blue Waves, or Seiganto-Ji.
> What country is it in?

Japan. (Near Katsuura.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> So there were 10 decoys. Please decode the rot13 and answer
> these additional questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

Sadly, nobody tried these.

> Questions #11-17 relate to Christian churches.

> 11. What country is church H in?

Japan (near Osaka).

> 12. What special architectural feature does church H have?

The big black cross is a window dramatically letting daylight inside.

> 13. And, accordingly, what is the name of church H (in English)?

Church of the Light.

> 14. What city is church A in?

Copenhagen, Denmark.

> 15. What is church A's name?

Grundtvig's Church.

> 16. What city is church F in?

Cologne, Germany.

> 17. What country is church G in?

Spain (Church of Santa Monica, near Madrid)

> 18. On church G, what is the brown material?

Rusted steel.

> 19. What city is mosque I in?

Istanbul again.

> 20. What is mosque I's name?

Blue (or Sultan Ahmed) Mosque.

> 21. What country is mosque L in?

Iraq (Great Mosque of Samarra, built in the 9th century).

> 22. What country is temple M in?

India (Akshardham Temple, Delhi).

> 23. What country is temple O in?

India (Brihadeeswarar or Brihadisvara Temple, Thanjavur).

> 24. What country is temple S in?

Indonesia (Sewu Temple or Candi Sewu, near Yogyakarta).

> 25. What country is temple T in?

Myanmar (Dhammayangyi Temple, Bagan).

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Geo
Pete Gayde 8 32 40
Joshua Kreitzer 9 28 37
Dan Blum 4 32 36
Dan Tilque 4 24 28
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 20
Stephen Perry 12 0 12

--
Mark Brader | But it doesn't matter what I plead;
Toronto | the universe doesn't provide an appeals process

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanLit and churches

<XnsB0FED9055F696Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5921&group=rec.games.trivia#5921

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 21:20:02 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 20:20 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
>> 5. For the remaining questions you will be given a letter and
>> asked to name the country. Photos I-L are Islamic churches,
>> which is to say mosques. Mosque J was previously a Christian
>> church. In what country is it?
>
> Turkey (or, okay, Türkiye). (Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.) 4 for
> Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete.

I was a little confused here, since when I visited Hagia Sophia quite
a few years ago now, it was neither a church nor a mosque, but just a
museum. But I see in Wikipedia that it was re-established as a mosque
in 2020.

Then again, there are not a whole lot of countries where you can find
churches-turned-mosques, so Turkey was still the obvious guess.