It is sweet to let the mind unbend on occasion. -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: Shakespeare, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge roundMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge roundDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge roundDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge roundPete Gayde
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge roundswp
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
`* Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: Shakespeare, challenge roundMark Brader
 `* Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: Shakespeare, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
  `- Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: Shakespeare, challenge roundMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge round

<6BWdneGy1v3eUz34nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5901&group=rec.games.trivia#5901

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge round
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 05:29:39 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 05:29 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds and most of the other.

** Game 8, Round 9 - Literature - Shakespeare

1. William Shakespeare was the author or co-author of about
38 plays. 36 of them were published in a single book in 1623,
the first time this had been done. That's twice as many as had
been individually published before, and the book also shows
many variations from those earlier versions, so it's very
important to literary historians. By what description is the
book generally known?

2. In <answer 1>, the plays are classified into three categories:
comedies, tragedies, and what else?

3. In which tragedy would you find the characters Benvolio,
Mercutio, and Friar Laurence?

4. In which tragedy would you find the characters Goneril, Cordelia,
and Regan?

5. In which comedy would you find the characters Rosalind, Orlando,
Celia, and Touchstone?

6. In which comedy would you find the characters Antipholus of
Ephesus, Antipholus of Syracuse, Dromio of Ephesus, and Dromio
of Syracuse?

7. Which character has the most lines in *any one* of Shakespeare's
plays?

8. Which character has the most lines if *all* of Shakespeare's
plays are counted together?

9. In which of Shakespeare's plays are the remains of two of the
characters served to another character in the form of pie?

10. In which of Shakespeare's plays does one of the characters
magically transform another character's head into the head of
an ass, which is to say, a donkey?

** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Geography: Passes

A1. The original route of the Trans-Canada Highway and the
first railway across the Canadian Rockies both cross the
Rockies using the same pass. Name it.

A2. Name the pass on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border that
has formed a vital part of trade routes since the days of
the ancient Silk Road.

* B. History: Failures

B1. In 1911, while Roald Amundsen's expedition was forging across
Antarctica to be first to reach the South Pole, a rival
British expedition began the same journey, with determination
that in their case exceeded their competence. They too
reached the pole, about a month after Amundsen, but on the
way back they all died. Who was the, uh, heroic(?) leader
of this ill-fated expedition?

B2. The British do seem to love to commemorate their heroic
failures. Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "The Charge of
the Light Brigade" celebrates a disastrous attack against
Russian troops, initiated accidentally by an unclear order,
during *what battle* of the Crimean War?

* C. Science: Batteries

C1. According to its nominal rating, a standard alkaline battery,
such as size AAA, generates how many volts of eletricity?

C2. In etymologically correct technical language that size AAA
alkaline battery isn't a "battery" at all, as that word
refers to a combination of two or more of them. Before the
word "battery" got established as common usage, what were
we supposed to call just one of the things?

* D. Miscellaneous: Political Terms

D1. What is it called when a party chooses a candidate from
elsewhere to run in what they think is a safe district?

D2. What is it called when one party gets to adjust the
electoral-district boundaries and uses this power to improve
their own future chances?

* E. Leisure: Game Masters

E1. The following people have been known for their mastery
of what game? Alexander Alekhine, Mikhail Botvinnik,
José Capablanca, Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Mikhail Tal.

E2. The following people have been known for their mastery of
what game? Easley Blackwood, Ely Culbertson, Charles Goren,
Oswald Jacoby, Alan Truscott, Zia Mahmood.

* F. Literature: Complete the Title

F1. Complete the title of this 1974 book by Robert Pirsig.
The main title will do; you don't need to give the subtitle.
"Zen and..."

F2. The main title of this 2007 book by Stephen Colbert
["coal-BEAR"] is "I am America". Give the 4-word subtitle --
punctuation marks not required.

--
Mark Brader | "Some societies define themselves by being open to new
Toronto | influences, others define their identity by resisting.

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge round

<unril6$3g713$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5902&group=rec.games.trivia#5902

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 06:34:12 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 14:34 UTC

On 1/11/24 21:29, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Literature - Shakespeare
>
> 1. William Shakespeare was the author or co-author of about
> 38 plays. 36 of them were published in a single book in 1623,
> the first time this had been done. That's twice as many as had
> been individually published before, and the book also shows
> many variations from those earlier versions, so it's very
> important to literary historians. By what description is the
> book generally known?

First Folio

> 2. In <answer 1>, the plays are classified into three categories:
> comedies, tragedies, and what else?

histories

> 3. In which tragedy would you find the characters Benvolio,
> Mercutio, and Friar Laurence?

Romeo and Juliet

> 4. In which tragedy would you find the characters Goneril, Cordelia,
> and Regan?

King Lear

> 5. In which comedy would you find the characters Rosalind, Orlando,
> Celia, and Touchstone?

The Merchant of Venice

> 6. In which comedy would you find the characters Antipholus of
> Ephesus, Antipholus of Syracuse, Dromio of Ephesus, and Dromio
> of Syracuse?
Love's Labor's Lost

> 7. Which character has the most lines in *any one* of Shakespeare's
> plays?

Hamlet

> 8. Which character has the most lines if *all* of Shakespeare's
> plays are counted together?

Henry V

> 9. In which of Shakespeare's plays are the remains of two of the
> characters served to another character in the form of pie?
>
> 10. In which of Shakespeare's plays does one of the characters
> magically transform another character's head into the head of
> an ass, which is to say, a donkey?

A Midsummer Night's Dream

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Geography: Passes
>
> A1. The original route of the Trans-Canada Highway and the
> first railway across the Canadian Rockies both cross the
> Rockies using the same pass. Name it.

Kicking Horse

> A2. Name the pass on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border that
> has formed a vital part of trade routes since the days of
> the ancient Silk Road.

Khyber

> * B. History: Failures
>
> B1. In 1911, while Roald Amundsen's expedition was forging across
> Antarctica to be first to reach the South Pole, a rival
> British expedition began the same journey, with determination
> that in their case exceeded their competence. They too
> reached the pole, about a month after Amundsen, but on the
> way back they all died. Who was the, uh, heroic(?) leader
> of this ill-fated expedition?

Scott

> B2. The British do seem to love to commemorate their heroic
> failures. Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "The Charge of
> the Light Brigade" celebrates a disastrous attack against
> Russian troops, initiated accidentally by an unclear order,
> during *what battle* of the Crimean War?

Balaclava

> * C. Science: Batteries
>
> C1. According to its nominal rating, a standard alkaline battery,
> such as size AAA, generates how many volts of eletricity?

1.5 volts

> C2. In etymologically correct technical language that size AAA
> alkaline battery isn't a "battery" at all, as that word
> refers to a combination of two or more of them. Before the
> word "battery" got established as common usage, what were
> we supposed to call just one of the things?

cell

> * D. Miscellaneous: Political Terms
>
> D1. What is it called when a party chooses a candidate from
> elsewhere to run in what they think is a safe district?

parachute candidate

> D2. What is it called when one party gets to adjust the
> electoral-district boundaries and uses this power to improve
> their own future chances?

gerrymander

> * E. Leisure: Game Masters
>
> E1. The following people have been known for their mastery
> of what game? Alexander Alekhine, Mikhail Botvinnik,
> José Capablanca, Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Mikhail Tal.

chess

> E2. The following people have been known for their mastery of
> what game? Easley Blackwood, Ely Culbertson, Charles Goren,
> Oswald Jacoby, Alan Truscott, Zia Mahmood.

bridge

> * F. Literature: Complete the Title
>
> F1. Complete the title of this 1974 book by Robert Pirsig.
> The main title will do; you don't need to give the subtitle.
> "Zen and..."

" ... the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

> F2. The main title of this 2007 book by Stephen Colbert
> ["coal-BEAR"] is "I am America". Give the 4-word subtitle --
> punctuation marks not required.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge round

<XnsB0F7D858C30F6Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5903&group=rec.games.trivia#5903

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:16:03 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 20:16 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Geography: Passes
>
> A2. Name the pass on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border that
> has formed a vital part of trade routes since the days of
> the ancient Silk Road.

Khyber

> * B. History: Failures
>
> B1. In 1911, while Roald Amundsen's expedition was forging across
> Antarctica to be first to reach the South Pole, a rival
> British expedition began the same journey, with determination
> that in their case exceeded their competence. They too
> reached the pole, about a month after Amundsen, but on the
> way back they all died. Who was the, uh, heroic(?) leader
> of this ill-fated expedition?

Scott
> * C. Science: Batteries
>
> C1. According to its nominal rating, a standard alkaline battery,
> such as size AAA, generates how many volts of eletricity?

1.5 V
> C2. In etymologically correct technical language that size AAA
> alkaline battery isn't a "battery" at all, as that word
> refers to a combination of two or more of them. Before the
> word "battery" got established as common usage, what were
> we supposed to call just one of the things?

Battery cell

> * D. Miscellaneous: Political Terms
> D2. What is it called when one party gets to adjust the
> electoral-district boundaries and uses this power to improve
> their own future chances?

Gerrymandering. Well, that is in the US. Don't know what you call it
when it happens in Toronto.
> * E. Leisure: Game Masters
>
> E1. The following people have been known for their mastery
> of what game? Alexander Alekhine, Mikhail Botvinnik,
> José Capablanca, Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Mikhail Tal.

Chess
> E2. The following people have been known for their mastery of
> what game? Easley Blackwood, Ely Culbertson, Charles Goren,
> Oswald Jacoby, Alan Truscott, Zia Mahmood.

Contract bridge

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge round

<unsfa1$ae$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5904&group=rec.games.trivia#5904

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 22:43:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 22:43 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Literature - Shakespeare

> 1. William Shakespeare was the author or co-author of about
> 38 plays. 36 of them were published in a single book in 1623,
> the first time this had been done. That's twice as many as had
> been individually published before, and the book also shows
> many variations from those earlier versions, so it's very
> important to literary historians. By what description is the
> book generally known?

First Folio

> 2. In <answer 1>, the plays are classified into three categories:
> comedies, tragedies, and what else?

histories

> 3. In which tragedy would you find the characters Benvolio,
> Mercutio, and Friar Laurence?

Romeo and Juliet

> 4. In which tragedy would you find the characters Goneril, Cordelia,
> and Regan?

King Lear

> 5. In which comedy would you find the characters Rosalind, Orlando,
> Celia, and Touchstone?

As You Like It

> 6. In which comedy would you find the characters Antipholus of
> Ephesus, Antipholus of Syracuse, Dromio of Ephesus, and Dromio
> of Syracuse?

All's Well That Ends Well

> 7. Which character has the most lines in *any one* of Shakespeare's
> plays?

Hamlet

> 8. Which character has the most lines if *all* of Shakespeare's
> plays are counted together?

Falstaff

> 9. In which of Shakespeare's plays are the remains of two of the
> characters served to another character in the form of pie?

Titus Andronicus

> 10. In which of Shakespeare's plays does one of the characters
> magically transform another character's head into the head of
> an ass, which is to say, a donkey?

A Midsummer Night's Dream

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Geography: Passes

> A1. The original route of the Trans-Canada Highway and the
> first railway across the Canadian Rockies both cross the
> Rockies using the same pass. Name it.

Crows Nest Pass

> A2. Name the pass on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border that
> has formed a vital part of trade routes since the days of
> the ancient Silk Road.

Khyber Pass

> * B. History: Failures

> B1. In 1911, while Roald Amundsen's expedition was forging across
> Antarctica to be first to reach the South Pole, a rival
> British expedition began the same journey, with determination
> that in their case exceeded their competence. They too
> reached the pole, about a month after Amundsen, but on the
> way back they all died. Who was the, uh, heroic(?) leader
> of this ill-fated expedition?

Scott

> B2. The British do seem to love to commemorate their heroic
> failures. Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "The Charge of
> the Light Brigade" celebrates a disastrous attack against
> Russian troops, initiated accidentally by an unclear order,
> during *what battle* of the Crimean War?

Balaclava

> * C. Science: Batteries

> C1. According to its nominal rating, a standard alkaline battery,
> such as size AAA, generates how many volts of eletricity?

1.5

> C2. In etymologically correct technical language that size AAA
> alkaline battery isn't a "battery" at all, as that word
> refers to a combination of two or more of them. Before the
> word "battery" got established as common usage, what were
> we supposed to call just one of the things?

power cell

> * E. Leisure: Game Masters

> E1. The following people have been known for their mastery
> of what game? Alexander Alekhine, Mikhail Botvinnik,
> Jos? Capablanca, Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Mikhail Tal.

chess

> E2. The following people have been known for their mastery of
> what game? Easley Blackwood, Ely Culbertson, Charles Goren,
> Oswald Jacoby, Alan Truscott, Zia Mahmood.

contract bridge

> * F. Literature: Complete the Title

> F1. Complete the title of this 1974 book by Robert Pirsig.
> The main title will do; you don't need to give the subtitle.
> "Zen and..."

the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance

> F2. The main title of this 2007 book by Stephen Colbert
> ["coal-BEAR"] is "I am America". Give the 4-word subtitle --
> punctuation marks not required.

And So Can You

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge round

<unu4im$3v0v3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5905&group=rec.games.trivia#5905

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 07:52:20 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:52 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds and most of the other.
>

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Literature - Shakespeare
>
> 1. William Shakespeare was the author or co-author of about
> 38 plays. 36 of them were published in a single book in 1623,
> the first time this had been done. That's twice as many as had
> been individually published before, and the book also shows
> many variations from those earlier versions, so it's very
> important to literary historians. By what description is the
> book generally known?
>
> 2. In <answer 1>, the plays are classified into three categories:
> comedies, tragedies, and what else?

Histories

> 3. In which tragedy would you find the characters Benvolio,
> Mercutio, and Friar Laurence?

Romeo and Juliet

> 4. In which tragedy would you find the characters Goneril, Cordelia,
> and Regan?

Macbeth

> 5. In which comedy would you find the characters Rosalind, Orlando,
> Celia, and Touchstone?
>
> 6. In which comedy would you find the characters Antipholus of
> Ephesus, Antipholus of Syracuse, Dromio of Ephesus, and Dromio
> of Syracuse?

Titus Andronicus

> 7. Which character has the most lines in *any one* of Shakespeare's
> plays?
>
> 8. Which character has the most lines if *all* of Shakespeare's
> plays are counted together?

Henry V

> 9. In which of Shakespeare's plays are the remains of two of the
> characters served to another character in the form of pie?

Titus Andronicus

> 10. In which of Shakespeare's plays does one of the characters
> magically transform another character's head into the head of
> an ass, which is to say, a donkey?

A Midsummer Night's Dream

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Geography: Passes
>
> A1. The original route of the Trans-Canada Highway and the
> first railway across the Canadian Rockies both cross the
> Rockies using the same pass. Name it.
>
> A2. Name the pass on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border that
> has formed a vital part of trade routes since the days of
> the ancient Silk Road.

Khyber

> * B. History: Failures
>
> B1. In 1911, while Roald Amundsen's expedition was forging across
> Antarctica to be first to reach the South Pole, a rival
> British expedition began the same journey, with determination
> that in their case exceeded their competence. They too
> reached the pole, about a month after Amundsen, but on the
> way back they all died. Who was the, uh, heroic(?) leader
> of this ill-fated expedition?
>
> B2. The British do seem to love to commemorate their heroic
> failures. Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "The Charge of
> the Light Brigade" celebrates a disastrous attack against
> Russian troops, initiated accidentally by an unclear order,
> during *what battle* of the Crimean War?
>

> * C. Science: Batteries
>
> C1. According to its nominal rating, a standard alkaline battery,
> such as size AAA, generates how many volts of eletricity?

1.5

> C2. In etymologically correct technical language that size AAA
> alkaline battery isn't a "battery" at all, as that word
> refers to a combination of two or more of them. Before the
> word "battery" got established as common usage, what were
> we supposed to call just one of the things?
>

> * D. Miscellaneous: Political Terms
>
> D1. What is it called when a party chooses a candidate from
> elsewhere to run in what they think is a safe district?
>
> D2. What is it called when one party gets to adjust the
> electoral-district boundaries and uses this power to improve
> their own future chances?

Gerrymandering

> * E. Leisure: Game Masters
>
> E1. The following people have been known for their mastery
> of what game? Alexander Alekhine, Mikhail Botvinnik,
> José Capablanca, Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Mikhail Tal.

Chess

> E2. The following people have been known for their mastery of
> what game? Easley Blackwood, Ely Culbertson, Charles Goren,
> Oswald Jacoby, Alan Truscott, Zia Mahmood.

Bridge

> * F. Literature: Complete the Title
>
> F1. Complete the title of this 1974 book by Robert Pirsig.
> The main title will do; you don't need to give the subtitle.
> "Zen and..."
>
> F2. The main title of this 2007 book by Stephen Colbert
> ["coal-BEAR"] is "I am America". Give the 4-word subtitle --
> punctuation marks not required.

and you can too

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge round

<cb97e307-ac91-43c1-b8e9-ef8333b58584n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5906&group=rec.games.trivia#5906

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 09:31:01 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 17:31 UTC

On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 12:29:50 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds and most of the other.
>

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Literature - Shakespeare
>
> 1. William Shakespeare was the author or co-author of about
> 38 plays. 36 of them were published in a single book in 1623,
> the first time this had been done. That's twice as many as had
> been individually published before, and the book also shows
> many variations from those earlier versions, so it's very
> important to literary historians. By what description is the
> book generally known?

first folio

> 2. In <answer 1>, the plays are classified into three categories:
> comedies, tragedies, and what else?

histories

> 3. In which tragedy would you find the characters Benvolio,
> Mercutio, and Friar Laurence?

romeo and juliette

> 4. In which tragedy would you find the characters Goneril, Cordelia,
> and Regan?

king lear

> 5. In which comedy would you find the characters Rosalind, Orlando,
> Celia, and Touchstone?

as you like it

> 6. In which comedy would you find the characters Antipholus of
> Ephesus, Antipholus of Syracuse, Dromio of Ephesus, and Dromio
> of Syracuse?

comedy of errors

> 7. Which character has the most lines in *any one* of Shakespeare's
> plays?

hamlet

> 8. Which character has the most lines if *all* of Shakespeare's
> plays are counted together?

henry v

> 9. In which of Shakespeare's plays are the remains of two of the
> characters served to another character in the form of pie?

titus andronicus

> 10. In which of Shakespeare's plays does one of the characters
> magically transform another character's head into the head of
> an ass, which is to say, a donkey?

a midsummer night's dream

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Geography: Passes
>
> A1. The original route of the Trans-Canada Highway and the
> first railway across the Canadian Rockies both cross the
> Rockies using the same pass. Name it.

kicking horse pass

> A2. Name the pass on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border that
> has formed a vital part of trade routes since the days of
> the ancient Silk Road.

khyber

> * B. History: Failures
>
> B1. In 1911, while Roald Amundsen's expedition was forging across
> Antarctica to be first to reach the South Pole, a rival
> British expedition began the same journey, with determination
> that in their case exceeded their competence. They too
> reached the pole, about a month after Amundsen, but on the
> way back they all died. Who was the, uh, heroic(?) leader
> of this ill-fated expedition?

rf scott

> B2. The British do seem to love to commemorate their heroic
> failures. Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "The Charge of
> the Light Brigade" celebrates a disastrous attack against
> Russian troops, initiated accidentally by an unclear order,
> during *what battle* of the Crimean War?

balaclava

> * C. Science: Batteries
>
> C1. According to its nominal rating, a standard alkaline battery,
> such as size AAA, generates how many volts of eletricity?

1.5 volts

> C2. In etymologically correct technical language that size AAA
> alkaline battery isn't a "battery" at all, as that word
> refers to a combination of two or more of them. Before the
> word "battery" got established as common usage, what were
> we supposed to call just one of the things?

cell

> * D. Miscellaneous: Political Terms
>
> D1. What is it called when a party chooses a candidate from
> elsewhere to run in what they think is a safe district?

parachute candidate

> D2. What is it called when one party gets to adjust the
> electoral-district boundaries and uses this power to improve
> their own future chances?

gerrymandering

> * E. Leisure: Game Masters
>
> E1. The following people have been known for their mastery
> of what game? Alexander Alekhine, Mikhail Botvinnik,
> José Capablanca, Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Mikhail Tal.

chess

> E2. The following people have been known for their mastery of
> what game? Easley Blackwood, Ely Culbertson, Charles Goren,
> Oswald Jacoby, Alan Truscott, Zia Mahmood.

contract bridge

> * F. Literature: Complete the Title
>
> F1. Complete the title of this 1974 book by Robert Pirsig.
> The main title will do; you don't need to give the subtitle.
> "Zen and..."

the art of motorcycle maintenance

> F2. The main title of this 2007 book by Stephen Colbert
> ["coal-BEAR"] is "I am America". Give the 4-word subtitle --
> punctuation marks not required.

and so can you

> --
> Mark Brader | "Some societies define themselves by being open to new
> Toronto | influences, others define their identity by resisting.
> m...@vex.net | In either case, they take the consequences."
> --Donna Richoux
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Shakespeare, challenge round

<a7c3cc5c-4002-4c9c-a4fd-5e92ce0c15b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5907&group=rec.games.trivia#5907

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 12:19:58 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 20:19 UTC

On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 11:29:50 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Literature - Shakespeare
>
> 1. William Shakespeare was the author or co-author of about
> 38 plays. 36 of them were published in a single book in 1623,
> the first time this had been done. That's twice as many as had
> been individually published before, and the book also shows
> many variations from those earlier versions, so it's very
> important to literary historians. By what description is the
> book generally known?

First Folio
> 2. In <answer 1>, the plays are classified into three categories:
> comedies, tragedies, and what else?

histories

> 3. In which tragedy would you find the characters Benvolio,
> Mercutio, and Friar Laurence?

"Romeo and Juliet"

> 4. In which tragedy would you find the characters Goneril, Cordelia,
> and Regan?

"King Lear"

> 5. In which comedy would you find the characters Rosalind, Orlando,
> Celia, and Touchstone?

"As You Like It"

> 6. In which comedy would you find the characters Antipholus of
> Ephesus, Antipholus of Syracuse, Dromio of Ephesus, and Dromio
> of Syracuse?

"The Comedy of Errors"

> 7. Which character has the most lines in *any one* of Shakespeare's
> plays?

Hamlet

> 8. Which character has the most lines if *all* of Shakespeare's
> plays are counted together?

Falstaff

> 9. In which of Shakespeare's plays are the remains of two of the
> characters served to another character in the form of pie?

"Titus Andronicus"

> 10. In which of Shakespeare's plays does one of the characters
> magically transform another character's head into the head of
> an ass, which is to say, a donkey?

"A Midsummer Night's Dream"

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Geography: Passes
>
> A2. Name the pass on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border that
> has formed a vital part of trade routes since the days of
> the ancient Silk Road.

Khyber Pass

> * B. History: Failures
>
> B1. In 1911, while Roald Amundsen's expedition was forging across
> Antarctica to be first to reach the South Pole, a rival
> British expedition began the same journey, with determination
> that in their case exceeded their competence. They too
> reached the pole, about a month after Amundsen, but on the
> way back they all died. Who was the, uh, heroic(?) leader
> of this ill-fated expedition?

Scott
> * C. Science: Batteries
>
> C2. In etymologically correct technical language that size AAA
> alkaline battery isn't a "battery" at all, as that word
> refers to a combination of two or more of them. Before the
> word "battery" got established as common usage, what were
> we supposed to call just one of the things?

cell

> * D. Miscellaneous: Political Terms
>
> D1. What is it called when a party chooses a candidate from
> elsewhere to run in what they think is a safe district?

parachuting

> D2. What is it called when one party gets to adjust the
> electoral-district boundaries and uses this power to improve
> their own future chances?

gerrymandering

> * E. Leisure: Game Masters
>
> E1. The following people have been known for their mastery
> of what game? Alexander Alekhine, Mikhail Botvinnik,
> José Capablanca, Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Mikhail Tal.

chess

> E2. The following people have been known for their mastery of
> what game? Easley Blackwood, Ely Culbertson, Charles Goren,
> Oswald Jacoby, Alan Truscott, Zia Mahmood.

bridge

> * F. Literature: Complete the Title
>
> F1. Complete the title of this 1974 book by Robert Pirsig.
> The main title will do; you don't need to give the subtitle.
> "Zen and..."

"the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

> F2. The main title of this 2007 book by Stephen Colbert
> ["coal-BEAR"] is "I am America". Give the 4-word subtitle --
> punctuation marks not required.

"and You Can Too"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: Shakespeare, challenge round

<oqqcnRF20qOPXzn4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5909&group=rec.games.trivia#5909

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: Shakespeare, challenge round
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 05:26:42 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 05:26 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-13,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 8 is over and the winner is STEPHEN PERRY. Hearty
congratulations, eh?

> I wrote one of these rounds and most of the other.

In the challenge round, I did not write pair D.

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Literature - Shakespeare

> 1. William Shakespeare was the author or co-author of about
> 38 plays. 36 of them were published in a single book in 1623,
> the first time this had been done. That's twice as many as had
> been individually published before, and the book also shows
> many variations from those earlier versions, so it's very
> important to literary historians. By what description is the
> book generally known?

The First Folio. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 2. In <answer 1>, the plays are classified into three categories:
> comedies, tragedies, and what else?

Histories. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete, and Stephen.

> 3. In which tragedy would you find the characters Benvolio,
> Mercutio, and Friar Laurence?

"Romeo and Juliet". 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete, and Stephenne.

> 4. In which tragedy would you find the characters Goneril, Cordelia,
> and Regan?

"King Lear". 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 5. In which comedy would you find the characters Rosalind, Orlando,
> Celia, and Touchstone?

"As You Like It". 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 6. In which comedy would you find the characters Antipholus of
> Ephesus, Antipholus of Syracuse, Dromio of Ephesus, and Dromio
> of Syracuse?

"The Comedy of Errors". 4 for Stephen.

> 7. Which character has the most lines in *any one* of Shakespeare's
> plays?

Hamlet. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 8. Which character has the most lines if *all* of Shakespeare's
> plays are counted together?

Sir John Falstaff. 4 for Dan Blum.

("The Merry Wives of Windsor" and both parts of "Henry IV".)

> 9. In which of Shakespeare's plays are the remains of two of the
> characters served to another character in the form of pie?

"Titus Andronicus". 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Stephen.

> 10. In which of Shakespeare's plays does one of the characters
> magically transform another character's head into the head of
> an ass, which is to say, a donkey?

"A Midsummer Night's Dream". 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete,
and Stephen.

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Geography: Passes

> A1. The original route of the Trans-Canada Highway and the
> first railway across the Canadian Rockies both cross the
> Rockies using the same pass. Name it.

Kicking Horse. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

(Alberta and BC Highway 1, CPR.)

> A2. Name the pass on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border that
> has formed a vital part of trade routes since the days of
> the ancient Silk Road.

Khyber. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, Pete,
and Stephen.

> * B. History: Failures

> B1. In 1911, while Roald Amundsen's expedition was forging across
> Antarctica to be first to reach the South Pole, a rival
> British expedition began the same journey, with determination
> that in their case exceeded their competence. They too
> reached the pole, about a month after Amundsen, but on the
> way back they all died. Who was the, uh, heroic(?) leader
> of this ill-fated expedition?

Robert Falcon Scott -- celebrated as "Scott of the Antarctic".
4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> B2. The British do seem to love to commemorate their heroic
> failures. Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "The Charge of
> the Light Brigade" celebrates a disastrous attack against
> Russian troops, initiated accidentally by an unclear order,
> during *what battle* of the Crimean War?

Balaclava. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> * C. Science: Batteries

> C1. According to its nominal rating, a standard alkaline battery,
> such as size AAA, generates how many volts of eletricity?

1.5. 4 for everyone.

> C2. In etymologically correct technical language that size AAA
> alkaline battery isn't a "battery" at all, as that word
> refers to a combination of two or more of them. Before the
> word "battery" got established as common usage, what were
> we supposed to call just one of the things?

(Dry) cell. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> * D. Miscellaneous: Political Terms

> D1. What is it called when a party chooses a candidate from
> elsewhere to run in what they think is a safe district?

Parachuting or carpetbagging. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> D2. What is it called when one party gets to adjust the
> electoral-district boundaries and uses this power to improve
> their own future chances?

Gerrymandering. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Pete, and Stephen.

> * E. Leisure: Game Masters

> E1. The following people have been known for their mastery
> of what game? Alexander Alekhine, Mikhail Botvinnik,
> José Capablanca, Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Mikhail Tal.

Chess. 4 for everyone.

> E2. The following people have been known for their mastery of
> what game? Easley Blackwood, Ely Culbertson, Charles Goren,
> Oswald Jacoby, Alan Truscott, Zia Mahmood.

Bridge. 4 for everyone.

> * F. Literature: Complete the Title

> F1. Complete the title of this 1974 book by Robert Pirsig.
> The main title will do; you don't need to give the subtitle.
> "Zen and..."

"...The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values".
4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> F2. The main title of this 2007 book by Stephen Colbert
> ["coal-BEAR"] is "I am America". Give the 4-word subtitle --
> punctuation marks not required.

"(And So Can You!)". 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Spo Sci Can His Geo Lit Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 0 36 40 11 32 36 36 48 228
Dan Blum 8 12 12 21 28 28 36 32 157
Dan Tilque 0 20 4 0 20 36 24 44 148
Joshua Kreitzer 8 23 12 4 23 37 -- -- 107
Pete Gayde 0 30 0 17 -- -- 16 20 83
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 0 20 36 0 24 80

--
Mark Brader | I rise to speak ... well, actually, I don't rise,
Toronto | nor do I speak, but I lounge to type in his defense.

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: Shakespeare, challenge round

<9aad1191-d9b2-43bd-9ee6-3dee5f4bfb3bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5912&group=rec.games.trivia#5912

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:48:30 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 23:48 UTC

Mark:

My answers for Rounds 9-10 were not scored. See my post at:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trivia/c/S8hP5urVECI/m/HvRco1gqBwAJ

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: Shakespeare, challenge round

<GvicndfPTv7wYzj4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5915&group=rec.games.trivia#5915

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 03:56:29 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 03:56 UTC

Joshua Kreitzer:
> My answers for Rounds 9-10 were not scored. See my post at:
> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trivia/c/S8hP5urVECI/m/HvRco1gqBwAJ

That's because somehow that one didn't reach giganews. Okay, Joshua
scores a perfect 40 points on Round 9, and 32 points on Round 10 --
4 each on questions A2, B1, C2, D1, D2, E1, E2, and F1 -- to move
into second place.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Spo Sci Can His Geo Lit Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 0 36 40 11 32 36 36 48 228
Joshua Kreitzer 8 23 12 4 23 37 40 32 167
Dan Blum 8 12 12 21 28 28 36 32 157
Dan Tilque 0 20 4 0 20 36 24 44 148
Pete Gayde 0 30 0 17 -- -- 16 20 83
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 0 20 36 0 24 80
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It's a massive 'Get out of Euclid free' card."
msb@vex.net | --Matt Parker