Speak softly and own a big, mean Doberman. -- Dave Millman

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: Ent v. Lit, foundations

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundationsMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundationsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundationsswp
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundationsDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundationsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundationsDan Tilque
`- QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: Ent v. Lit, foundationsMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundations

<LiWdnc8L_9iAETf4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5919&group=rec.games.trivia#5919

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundations
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 14:50:05 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 14:50 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote both of these rounds.

* Game 9, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Entertainment vs. Literature

When a movie is adapted from an existing work -- a novel, a short
story, a play, or a non-fiction work -- sometimes a new title
is chosen. In this round we'll give you one title and ask you
for the other. Sometimes the two titles are similar, sometimes
completely different. Sometimes the movie title is applied to
later editions of the original work, but we're talking about
original titles here.

1. The novel "The Sheep-Pig" by Dick King-Smith was adapted into
what 1995 movie starring James Cromwell?

2. Speaking of sheep, Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream
of Electric Sheep?" was adapted into what 1982 movie?

3. Speaking of Philip K. Dick, name his original story that the
movie "Total Recall" was based on. The title is 7 words long.

4. The 1994 movie "The Madness of King George", starring Nigel
Hawthorne, was adapted by Alan Bennett from his own play.
The title of the play was also 5 words long, but what was it?

5. The 2013 animated movie "Frozen" was based on what story by
Hans Christian Andersen?

6. Speaking of cold things, the graphic novel "The Coldest City"
by Antony Johnston and illustrator Sam Hart got a hotter title
for the 2017 movie adaptation starring Charlize Theron [th as in
"thin", rhymes with "heron"]. What was that?

7. The 1975 movie "Three Days of the Condor" starring Robert
Redford was based on what novel by James Grady?

8. The 1995 movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was based on what
novel by Gary K. Wolf?

9. The 2012 science-fiction movie "John Carter" was based on what
novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs?

10. What 1988 movie starring Bruce Willis was based on Roderick
Thorp's novel "Nothing Lasts Forever"?

* Game 9, Round 6 - Science - Foundational Discoveries and Theories

1. Although some ancient philosophers believed otherwise, until 1543
it was generally accepted that the Sun, Moon, stars, and planets
all moved in circles around the Earth. Then a Polish astronomer
dared to write a book stating that the Earth and planets moved
around the Sun. Who was he?

2. About 70 years later, Galileo helped prove the point by using
his telescope to discover some objects that definitely orbited
something other than the Earth. In fact he found four of them.
What objects? Name or describe one or more of them.

3. Which German astronomer worked out in 1609 that the planets orbit
the Sun, not in circular orbits, but elliptical ones? His main
source for this conclusion was observational data collected by
Tycho Brahe of Denmark.

4. In 1924, using a new telescope, this American astronomer
proved the existence of what we now call galaxies. Then in 1929
he discovered that the more distant a galaxy is, the faster it
is moving away from us -- in other words, that the whole universe
is in a continuous and uniform state of expansion. Name him.

5. Turning now from the very big to the very small, in 1665 Robert
Hooke used a new microscope to discover that cork is divided
into little compartments, which other scientists then discovered
in other living tissues. What name did Hooke give them?

6. In 1796 some people believed that if you ever got sick with
cowpox, that was a good thing because you became immune to
smallpox, which was much more serious. It sounded too good
to be true, but then this English doctor proved it *was* true
by inoculating people with cowpox -- thus creating the first
vaccine (a word derived from the Latin for "cow"). Name him.

7. In 1752 this scientist in what is now the US proved that
lightning is a form of electricity. Who?

8. In about 1860 this Scottish scientist developed equations
relating electricity and magnetism. Name him.

9. In the 1770s one English and one French chemist between them
accomplished the following: They learned that air was a mixture
of substances, they isolated oxygen from it, and they learned
that when something burns it does not emit some substance
already contained in it, but rather combines with oxygen.
Name either man.

10. In 1900 this German physicist worked out that light and other
forms of radiation come in small units -- that is, he developed
quantum theory. Name him.

--
Mark Brader | "The default choice ... is in many ways the most
Toronto | important thing. ... People can get started

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundations

<XnsB0FED8F60CFCDYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5920&group=rec.games.trivia#5920

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundations
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 21:19:41 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 20:19 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 6 - Science - Foundational Discoveries and Theories
>
> 1. Although some ancient philosophers believed otherwise, until 1543
> it was generally accepted that the Sun, Moon, stars, and planets
> all moved in circles around the Earth. Then a Polish astronomer
> dared to write a book stating that the Earth and planets moved
> around the Sun. Who was he?

Johannes Kepler
> 2. About 70 years later, Galileo helped prove the point by using
> his telescope to discover some objects that definitely orbited
> something other than the Earth. In fact he found four of them.
> What objects? Name or describe one or more of them.

Moons of Jupiter
> 3. Which German astronomer worked out in 1609 that the planets orbit
> the Sun, not in circular orbits, but elliptical ones? His main
> source for this conclusion was observational data collected by
> Tycho Brahe of Denmark.

Johannes Kepler
> 4. In 1924, using a new telescope, this American astronomer
> proved the existence of what we now call galaxies. Then in 1929
> he discovered that the more distant a galaxy is, the faster it
> is moving away from us -- in other words, that the whole universe
> is in a continuous and uniform state of expansion. Name him.

Hubble
> 7. In 1752 this scientist in what is now the US proved that
> lightning is a form of electricity. Who?

Benjamin Franlin
> 9. In the 1770s one English and one French chemist between them
> accomplished the following: They learned that air was a mixture
> of substances, they isolated oxygen from it, and they learned
> that when something burns it does not emit some substance
> already contained in it, but rather combines with oxygen.
> Name either man.

Since I'm Swedish, I will of course answer Scheele.

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundations

<1f79fb98-8135-4026-ad72-6428274024d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5922&group=rec.games.trivia#5922

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:52:34 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 00:52 UTC

On Friday, January 19, 2024 at 9:50:16 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-20,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote both of these rounds.
>

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Entertainment vs. Literature
>
> When a movie is adapted from an existing work -- a novel, a short
> story, a play, or a non-fiction work -- sometimes a new title
> is chosen. In this round we'll give you one title and ask you
> for the other. Sometimes the two titles are similar, sometimes
> completely different. Sometimes the movie title is applied to
> later editions of the original work, but we're talking about
> original titles here.
>
> 1. The novel "The Sheep-Pig" by Dick King-Smith was adapted into
> what 1995 movie starring James Cromwell?

babe

> 2. Speaking of sheep, Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream
> of Electric Sheep?" was adapted into what 1982 movie?

blade runner

> 3. Speaking of Philip K. Dick, name his original story that the
> movie "Total Recall" was based on. The title is 7 words long.

we can remember it for you wholesale

> 4. The 1994 movie "The Madness of King George", starring Nigel
> Hawthorne, was adapted by Alan Bennett from his own play.
> The title of the play was also 5 words long, but what was it?

the madness of george iii

> 5. The 2013 animated movie "Frozen" was based on what story by
> Hans Christian Andersen?

the snow queen

> 6. Speaking of cold things, the graphic novel "The Coldest City"
> by Antony Johnston and illustrator Sam Hart got a hotter title
> for the 2017 movie adaptation starring Charlize Theron [th as in
> "thin", rhymes with "heron"]. What was that?

atomic blonde

> 7. The 1975 movie "Three Days of the Condor" starring Robert
> Redford was based on what novel by James Grady?

six days of the condor

> 8. The 1995 movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was based on what
> novel by Gary K. Wolf?

who censored roger rabbit

> 9. The 2012 science-fiction movie "John Carter" was based on what
> novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs?

a princess of mars

> 10. What 1988 movie starring Bruce Willis was based on Roderick
> Thorp's novel "Nothing Lasts Forever"?

die hard

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Science - Foundational Discoveries and Theories
>
> 1. Although some ancient philosophers believed otherwise, until 1543
> it was generally accepted that the Sun, Moon, stars, and planets
> all moved in circles around the Earth. Then a Polish astronomer
> dared to write a book stating that the Earth and planets moved
> around the Sun. Who was he?

nicolaus copernicus

> 2. About 70 years later, Galileo helped prove the point by using
> his telescope to discover some objects that definitely orbited
> something other than the Earth. In fact he found four of them.
> What objects? Name or describe one or more of them.

jupiter's four largest moons

> 3. Which German astronomer worked out in 1609 that the planets orbit
> the Sun, not in circular orbits, but elliptical ones? His main
> source for this conclusion was observational data collected by
> Tycho Brahe of Denmark.

johannes kepler

> 4. In 1924, using a new telescope, this American astronomer
> proved the existence of what we now call galaxies. Then in 1929
> he discovered that the more distant a galaxy is, the faster it
> is moving away from us -- in other words, that the whole universe
> is in a continuous and uniform state of expansion. Name him.

edwin hubble

> 5. Turning now from the very big to the very small, in 1665 Robert
> Hooke used a new microscope to discover that cork is divided
> into little compartments, which other scientists then discovered
> in other living tissues. What name did Hooke give them?

cell

> 6. In 1796 some people believed that if you ever got sick with
> cowpox, that was a good thing because you became immune to
> smallpox, which was much more serious. It sounded too good
> to be true, but then this English doctor proved it *was* true
> by inoculating people with cowpox -- thus creating the first
> vaccine (a word derived from the Latin for "cow"). Name him.

edward jenner

> 7. In 1752 this scientist in what is now the US proved that
> lightning is a form of electricity. Who?

benjamin franklin

> 8. In about 1860 this Scottish scientist developed equations
> relating electricity and magnetism. Name him.

james clerk maxwell

> 9. In the 1770s one English and one French chemist between them
> accomplished the following: They learned that air was a mixture
> of substances, they isolated oxygen from it, and they learned
> that when something burns it does not emit some substance
> already contained in it, but rather combines with oxygen.
> Name either man.

lavoisier

> 10. In 1900 this German physicist worked out that light and other
> forms of radiation come in small units -- that is, he developed
> quantum theory. Name him.

max planck

> --
> Mark Brader | "The default choice ... is in many ways the most
> Toronto | important thing. ... People can get started
> m...@vex.net | without reading a big manual." -- Brian Kernighan
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundations

<uofda9$dsc$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5923&group=rec.games.trivia#5923

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 03:05:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 03:05 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Entertainment vs. Literature

> 1. The novel "The Sheep-Pig" by Dick King-Smith was adapted into
> what 1995 movie starring James Cromwell?

Babe

> 2. Speaking of sheep, Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream
> of Electric Sheep?" was adapted into what 1982 movie?

Blade Runner

> 3. Speaking of Philip K. Dick, name his original story that the
> movie "Total Recall" was based on. The title is 7 words long.

We Can Remember It For You Wholesale

> 5. The 2013 animated movie "Frozen" was based on what story by
> Hans Christian Andersen?

The Ice Princess

> 7. The 1975 movie "Three Days of the Condor" starring Robert
> Redford was based on what novel by James Grady?

Six Days of the Condor

> 8. The 1995 movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was based on what
> novel by Gary K. Wolf?

Who Killed Roger Rabbit?

> 9. The 2012 science-fiction movie "John Carter" was based on what
> novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs?

A Princess of Mars

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Science - Foundational Discoveries and Theories

> 1. Although some ancient philosophers believed otherwise, until 1543
> it was generally accepted that the Sun, Moon, stars, and planets
> all moved in circles around the Earth. Then a Polish astronomer
> dared to write a book stating that the Earth and planets moved
> around the Sun. Who was he?

Copernicus

> 2. About 70 years later, Galileo helped prove the point by using
> his telescope to discover some objects that definitely orbited
> something other than the Earth. In fact he found four of them.
> What objects? Name or describe one or more of them.

moons of Jupiter

> 3. Which German astronomer worked out in 1609 that the planets orbit
> the Sun, not in circular orbits, but elliptical ones? His main
> source for this conclusion was observational data collected by
> Tycho Brahe of Denmark.

Kepler

> 4. In 1924, using a new telescope, this American astronomer
> proved the existence of what we now call galaxies. Then in 1929
> he discovered that the more distant a galaxy is, the faster it
> is moving away from us -- in other words, that the whole universe
> is in a continuous and uniform state of expansion. Name him.

Hubble

> 5. Turning now from the very big to the very small, in 1665 Robert
> Hooke used a new microscope to discover that cork is divided
> into little compartments, which other scientists then discovered
> in other living tissues. What name did Hooke give them?

cells

> 6. In 1796 some people believed that if you ever got sick with
> cowpox, that was a good thing because you became immune to
> smallpox, which was much more serious. It sounded too good
> to be true, but then this English doctor proved it *was* true
> by inoculating people with cowpox -- thus creating the first
> vaccine (a word derived from the Latin for "cow"). Name him.

Jenner

> 7. In 1752 this scientist in what is now the US proved that
> lightning is a form of electricity. Who?

Franklin

> 8. In about 1860 this Scottish scientist developed equations
> relating electricity and magnetism. Name him.

Maxwell

> 9. In the 1770s one English and one French chemist between them
> accomplished the following: They learned that air was a mixture
> of substances, they isolated oxygen from it, and they learned
> that when something burns it does not emit some substance
> already contained in it, but rather combines with oxygen.
> Name either man.

Lavoisier

> 10. In 1900 this German physicist worked out that light and other
> forms of radiation come in small units -- that is, he developed
> quantum theory. Name him.

Planck

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundations

<bea47000-5a97-4a32-83e8-c1a217c7c4e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5924&group=rec.games.trivia#5924

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 20:23:37 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 04:23 UTC

On Friday, January 19, 2024 at 8:50:16 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 9, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Entertainment vs. Literature
>
> When a movie is adapted from an existing work -- a novel, a short
> story, a play, or a non-fiction work -- sometimes a new title
> is chosen. In this round we'll give you one title and ask you
> for the other. Sometimes the two titles are similar, sometimes
> completely different. Sometimes the movie title is applied to
> later editions of the original work, but we're talking about
> original titles here.
>
> 1. The novel "The Sheep-Pig" by Dick King-Smith was adapted into
> what 1995 movie starring James Cromwell?

"Babe"

> 2. Speaking of sheep, Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream
> of Electric Sheep?" was adapted into what 1982 movie?

"Blade Runner"

> 3. Speaking of Philip K. Dick, name his original story that the
> movie "Total Recall" was based on. The title is 7 words long.

"We Can Remember It for You Wholesale"

> 4. The 1994 movie "The Madness of King George", starring Nigel
> Hawthorne, was adapted by Alan Bennett from his own play.
> The title of the play was also 5 words long, but what was it?

"The Madness of George III"

> 5. The 2013 animated movie "Frozen" was based on what story by
> Hans Christian Andersen?

"The Snow Queen"

> 7. The 1975 movie "Three Days of the Condor" starring Robert
> Redford was based on what novel by James Grady?

"Six Days of the Condor"
> 8. The 1995 movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was based on what
> novel by Gary K. Wolf?

"Who Censored Roger Rabbit?"

> 9. The 2012 science-fiction movie "John Carter" was based on what
> novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs?

"A Princess of Mars"

> 10. What 1988 movie starring Bruce Willis was based on Roderick
> Thorp's novel "Nothing Lasts Forever"?

"Die Hard"

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Science - Foundational Discoveries and Theories
>
> 1. Although some ancient philosophers believed otherwise, until 1543
> it was generally accepted that the Sun, Moon, stars, and planets
> all moved in circles around the Earth. Then a Polish astronomer
> dared to write a book stating that the Earth and planets moved
> around the Sun. Who was he?

Copernicus

> 2. About 70 years later, Galileo helped prove the point by using
> his telescope to discover some objects that definitely orbited
> something other than the Earth. In fact he found four of them.
> What objects? Name or describe one or more of them.

Jupiter's moons, including Ganymede

> 3. Which German astronomer worked out in 1609 that the planets orbit
> the Sun, not in circular orbits, but elliptical ones? His main
> source for this conclusion was observational data collected by
> Tycho Brahe of Denmark.

Kepler

> 4. In 1924, using a new telescope, this American astronomer
> proved the existence of what we now call galaxies. Then in 1929
> he discovered that the more distant a galaxy is, the faster it
> is moving away from us -- in other words, that the whole universe
> is in a continuous and uniform state of expansion. Name him.

Shipley

> 5. Turning now from the very big to the very small, in 1665 Robert
> Hooke used a new microscope to discover that cork is divided
> into little compartments, which other scientists then discovered
> in other living tissues. What name did Hooke give them?

cells

> 6. In 1796 some people believed that if you ever got sick with
> cowpox, that was a good thing because you became immune to
> smallpox, which was much more serious. It sounded too good
> to be true, but then this English doctor proved it *was* true
> by inoculating people with cowpox -- thus creating the first
> vaccine (a word derived from the Latin for "cow"). Name him.

Jenner

> 7. In 1752 this scientist in what is now the US proved that
> lightning is a form of electricity. Who?

Franklin

> 8. In about 1860 this Scottish scientist developed equations
> relating electricity and magnetism. Name him.

Maxwell

> 9. In the 1770s one English and one French chemist between them
> accomplished the following: They learned that air was a mixture
> of substances, they isolated oxygen from it, and they learned
> that when something burns it does not emit some substance
> already contained in it, but rather combines with oxygen.
> Name either man.

Lavoisier; Priestley

> 10. In 1900 this German physicist worked out that light and other
> forms of radiation come in small units -- that is, he developed
> quantum theory. Name him.

Schrodinger

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: Ent v. Lit, foundations

<uofnav$3idg3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5925&group=rec.games.trivia#5925

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 21:56:44 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 05:56 UTC

On 1/19/24 06:50, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Entertainment vs. Literature
>
> When a movie is adapted from an existing work -- a novel, a short
> story, a play, or a non-fiction work -- sometimes a new title
> is chosen. In this round we'll give you one title and ask you
> for the other. Sometimes the two titles are similar, sometimes
> completely different. Sometimes the movie title is applied to
> later editions of the original work, but we're talking about
> original titles here.
>
> 1. The novel "The Sheep-Pig" by Dick King-Smith was adapted into
> what 1995 movie starring James Cromwell?
>
> 2. Speaking of sheep, Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream
> of Electric Sheep?" was adapted into what 1982 movie?

Blade Runner

> 3. Speaking of Philip K. Dick, name his original story that the
> movie "Total Recall" was based on. The title is 7 words long.

We Can Remember It for You Wholesale

> 4. The 1994 movie "The Madness of King George", starring Nigel
> Hawthorne, was adapted by Alan Bennett from his own play.
> The title of the play was also 5 words long, but what was it?
>
> 5. The 2013 animated movie "Frozen" was based on what story by
> Hans Christian Andersen?

The Snow Queen

> 6. Speaking of cold things, the graphic novel "The Coldest City"
> by Antony Johnston and illustrator Sam Hart got a hotter title
> for the 2017 movie adaptation starring Charlize Theron [th as in
> "thin", rhymes with "heron"]. What was that?
>
> 7. The 1975 movie "Three Days of the Condor" starring Robert
> Redford was based on what novel by James Grady?
>
> 8. The 1995 movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was based on what
> novel by Gary K. Wolf?
>
> 9. The 2012 science-fiction movie "John Carter" was based on what
> novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs?

John Carter on Mars

> 10. What 1988 movie starring Bruce Willis was based on Roderick
> Thorp's novel "Nothing Lasts Forever"?
>

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Science - Foundational Discoveries and Theories
>
> 1. Although some ancient philosophers believed otherwise, until 1543
> it was generally accepted that the Sun, Moon, stars, and planets
> all moved in circles around the Earth. Then a Polish astronomer
> dared to write a book stating that the Earth and planets moved
> around the Sun. Who was he?

Copernicus

> 2. About 70 years later, Galileo helped prove the point by using
> his telescope to discover some objects that definitely orbited
> something other than the Earth. In fact he found four of them.
> What objects? Name or describe one or more of them.

The Galilean satellites of Jupiter

> 3. Which German astronomer worked out in 1609 that the planets orbit
> the Sun, not in circular orbits, but elliptical ones? His main
> source for this conclusion was observational data collected by
> Tycho Brahe of Denmark.

Kepler

> 4. In 1924, using a new telescope, this American astronomer
> proved the existence of what we now call galaxies. Then in 1929
> he discovered that the more distant a galaxy is, the faster it
> is moving away from us -- in other words, that the whole universe
> is in a continuous and uniform state of expansion. Name him.

Hubble

> 5. Turning now from the very big to the very small, in 1665 Robert
> Hooke used a new microscope to discover that cork is divided
> into little compartments, which other scientists then discovered
> in other living tissues. What name did Hooke give them?

cell

> 6. In 1796 some people believed that if you ever got sick with
> cowpox, that was a good thing because you became immune to
> smallpox, which was much more serious. It sounded too good
> to be true, but then this English doctor proved it *was* true
> by inoculating people with cowpox -- thus creating the first
> vaccine (a word derived from the Latin for "cow"). Name him.

Jenner

> 7. In 1752 this scientist in what is now the US proved that
> lightning is a form of electricity. Who?

Ben Franklin

> 8. In about 1860 this Scottish scientist developed equations
> relating electricity and magnetism. Name him.

Maxwell

> 9. In the 1770s one English and one French chemist between them
> accomplished the following: They learned that air was a mixture
> of substances, they isolated oxygen from it, and they learned
> that when something burns it does not emit some substance
> already contained in it, but rather combines with oxygen.
> Name either man.

Lavoisier

> 10. In 1900 this German physicist worked out that light and other
> forms of radiation come in small units -- that is, he developed
> quantum theory. Name him.

Planck

--
Dan Tilque

QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: Ent v. Lit, foundations

<3NKcnaA4gb-dxDP4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5926&group=rec.games.trivia#5926

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: Ent v. Lit, foundations
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 12:01:04 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 12:01 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-20,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote both of these rounds.

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Entertainment vs. Literature

> When a movie is adapted from an existing work -- a novel, a short
> story, a play, or a non-fiction work -- sometimes a new title
> is chosen. In this round we'll give you one title and ask you
> for the other. Sometimes the two titles are similar, sometimes
> completely different. Sometimes the movie title is applied to
> later editions of the original work, but we're talking about
> original titles here.

> 1. The novel "The Sheep-Pig" by Dick King-Smith was adapted into
> what 1995 movie starring James Cromwell?

"Babe". 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 2. Speaking of sheep, Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream
> of Electric Sheep?" was adapted into what 1982 movie?

"Blade Runner". 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Speaking of Philip K. Dick, name his original story that the
> movie "Total Recall" was based on. The title is 7 words long.

"We Can Remember It for You Wholesale". 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. The 1994 movie "The Madness of King George", starring Nigel
> Hawthorne, was adapted by Alan Bennett from his own play.
> The title of the play was also 5 words long, but what was it?

"The Madness of George III". 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

Some people think they were afraid that American audiences would
imagine that the Roman numeral III indicated a sequel. What the
director, Nicholas Hytner ["height-ner"], actually said was that
Americans might not recognize "George III" by itself as meaning
a king's name.

> 5. The 2013 animated movie "Frozen" was based on what story by
> Hans Christian Andersen?

"The Snow Queen". 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Speaking of cold things, the graphic novel "The Coldest City"
> by Antony Johnston and illustrator Sam Hart got a hotter title
> for the 2017 movie adaptation starring Charlize Theron [th as in
> "thin", rhymes with "heron"]. What was that?

"Atomic Blonde". 4 for Stephen.

> 7. The 1975 movie "Three Days of the Condor" starring Robert
> Redford was based on what novel by James Grady?

"Six Days of the Condor". 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 8. The 1995 movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was based on what
> novel by Gary K. Wolf?

"Who Censored Roger Rabbit?" 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

Fun fact: Unlike the movie, it actually had a question mark in
the title.

> 9. The 2012 science-fiction movie "John Carter" was based on what
> novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs?

"A Princess of Mars". 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 10. What 1988 movie starring Bruce Willis was based on Roderick
> Thorp's novel "Nothing Lasts Forever"?

"Die Hard". 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Science - Foundational Discoveries and Theories

This was the eaisest round in the original game.

> 1. Although some ancient philosophers believed otherwise, until 1543
> it was generally accepted that the Sun, Moon, stars, and planets
> all moved in circles around the Earth. Then a Polish astronomer
> dared to write a book stating that the Earth and planets moved
> around the Sun. Who was he?

Nicolaus Copernicus. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. About 70 years later, Galileo helped prove the point by using
> his telescope to discover some objects that definitely orbited
> something other than the Earth. In fact he found four of them.
> What objects? Name or describe one or more of them.

Moons (satellites) of Jupiter -- Io, Ganymede, Callisto, and Europa.
Or as he named them, the Medicean [4 syllables] stars. 4 for everyone
-- Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Which German astronomer worked out in 1609 that the planets orbit
> the Sun, not in circular orbits, but elliptical ones? His main
> source for this conclusion was observational data collected by
> Tycho Brahe of Denmark.

Johannes Kepler. 4 for everyone.

> 4. In 1924, using a new telescope, this American astronomer
> proved the existence of what we now call galaxies. Then in 1929
> he discovered that the more distant a galaxy is, the faster it
> is moving away from us -- in other words, that the whole universe
> is in a continuous and uniform state of expansion. Name him.

Edwin Hubble. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Turning now from the very big to the very small, in 1665 Robert
> Hooke used a new microscope to discover that cork is divided
> into little compartments, which other scientists then discovered
> in other living tissues. What name did Hooke give them?

Cells. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. In 1796 some people believed that if you ever got sick with
> cowpox, that was a good thing because you became immune to
> smallpox, which was much more serious. It sounded too good
> to be true, but then this English doctor proved it *was* true
> by inoculating people with cowpox -- thus creating the first
> vaccine (a word derived from the Latin for "cow"). Name him.

Edward Jenner. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. In 1752 this scientist in what is now the US proved that
> lightning is a form of electricity. Who?

Benjamin Franklin. 4 for everyone.

> 8. In about 1860 this Scottish scientist developed equations
> relating electricity and magnetism. Name him.

James Clerk ["clark"] Maxwell. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. In the 1770s one English and one French chemist between them
> accomplished the following: They learned that air was a mixture
> of substances, they isolated oxygen from it, and they learned
> that when something burns it does not emit some substance
> already contained in it, but rather combines with oxygen.
> Name either man.

Joseph Priestly, Antoine Lavoisier ["ahn-twahn la-vwah-zee-eh"].
4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua (the hard way), and Dan Tilque.

> 10. In 1900 this German physicist worked out that light and other
> forms of radiation come in small units -- that is, he developed
> quantum theory. Name him.

Max Planck. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Geo Mis Sci
Joshua Kreitzer 9 28 36 32 105
Dan Blum 4 32 20 40 96
Stephen Perry 12 0 40 40 92
Dan Tilque 4 24 12 40 80
Pete Gayde 8 32 -- -- 40
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 0 16 36

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Perhaps their software was written by
msb@vex.net a Byzan-tine-ager" -- Peter Neumann