Do YOU have redeeming social value?

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: once NHL, only Oscar

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only OscarMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only Oscarswp
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only OscarDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only OscarJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only OscarDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only OscarErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only OscarPete Gayde
`- QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: once NHL, only OscarMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only Oscar

<sySdnTxp7IIUxDP4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5927&group=rec.games.trivia#5927

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only Oscar
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 12:03:21 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 12:03 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - Defunct NHL Franchise Locations

An NHL team is not always a big money-maker for itself or its city.
Although the league has had periods of stability, there have also
been many times when teams decamped for greener pastures or just
failed outright. In each case, we give you a team's name, and
you identify the city (or other place name) that it represented
when it had that name.

Please be careful with the table-talk, as some teams and cities
have managed to fail more than once and may appear twice in this
round under different names; also, some teams have the same name
as a team in another league, or have themselves played in another
league at some time. This round is only talking about the NHL.

1. Seals, also called the Golden Seals.
2. Barons.
3. Pirates.
4. Quakers.
5. Rockies.
6. Thrashers.
7. Tigers.
8. Americans.
9. Nordiques.
10. Jets.

* Game 9, Round 8 - Entertainment - Their Only Acting Oscar

For the benefit of any teams that need to make up a lot of points
-- or of people who wish we had more freedom to keep things more
interesting by asking occasionally for two-part answers --
*Rounds 8 and 9 of this game will each be bonus rounds.*

Each question on these rounds will ask for two facts. If you give
one of them, you get the regular score, but if you give both, you
get a 2-point bonus. Warning: if you try for the bonus and fail to
get both facts right, then your answer is wrong.

If making two guesses, you may try for the bonus on either or both.
Please make it explicit how you are answering.

On this round, each question is about a person who has *only once*
won an Oscar for acting and it was either Best Actor or Best
Actress, no supporting roles. We will tell you the decade when
the relevant movie was released, and we'll list several *other*
roles played by the same person through their career.

*No points for naming the person.* The two facts we're asking
for are the name of the *movie* they won the Oscar for, and the
name of their *character* in the movie. For your normal score,
name either one; for the bonus, name both.

1. He also played Rhett Butler, sailor Fletcher Christian, and bar
owners Blackie Norton and Blackie Gallagher; but he won Best
Actor for a 1930s movie. To repeat, for normal score, either
name the *movie* he won for, or his *character* in the movie;
for the bonus, name both.

2. He also played sales executive C.R. MacNamara, outlaws Cody
Jarrett and Jim Kincaid, and police commissioner Rhinelander
Waldo; but he won Best Actor for a 1940s movie.

3. He also played naval officer Philip Queeg, bar owner Rick Blaine,
and detectives Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade; but he won Best
Actor for a 1950s movie.

4. He also played newsmen Joe Bradley and Phil Schuyler Green,
commando Keith Mallory, and sea captain Ahab; but he won Best
Actor for a 1960s movie.

5. She also played Evelyn Mulwray, Bonnie Parker, Joan Crawford,
and Serena Joy; but she won Best Actress for a 1970s movie.

6. He also played Billy the Kid, Nobel-winning author Andrew Craig,
General Leslie Groves, and lawyer Frank Galvin; but he won Best
Actor for a 1980s movie.

7. She also played Emma Woodhouse, Margot Tenenbaum, reporter Polly
Perkins, and assistant Pepper Potts; but she won Best Actress
for a 1990s movie.

8. He also played Jor-El, policeman Bud White, boxer Jim Braddock,
and naval captain Jack Aubrey. But he won Best Actor for a
2000s movie. (That means 2000-09.)

9. He also played Howard Hughes, Amsterdam Vallon, Jack Dawson,
and Frank Abagnale ["AB-ag-nail"] Jr.; but he won Best Actor
for a 2010s movie.

10. Oops, we ran out of complete decades during the time that Oscars
have existed. Okay, this person won Best Actress for *either*
a 1920s or a 2020s movie, but we won't tell you which. She also
played Maya Harris, Molly Bloom, Melissa Lewis, and Murph Cooper.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Here I sit, ego the size of a planet..."
msb@vex.net | --Steve Summit (after Douglas Adams)

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only Oscar

<60ac7133-15ce-46ea-9c98-7bc6688ed4d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5928&group=rec.games.trivia#5928

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 18:43:47 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only Oscar
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 02:43 UTC

On Monday, January 22, 2024 at 7:03:33 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> [...]
> Please make it explicit how you are answering.
>
> On this round, each question is about a person who has *only once*
> won an Oscar for acting and it was either Best Actor or Best
> Actress, no supporting roles. We will tell you the decade when
> the relevant movie was released, and we'll list several *other*
> roles played by the same person through their career.
>
> *No points for naming the person.* The two facts we're asking
> for are the name of the *movie* they won the Oscar for, and the
> name of their *character* in the movie. For your normal score,
> name either one; for the bonus, name both.
>
> 1. He also played Rhett Butler, sailor Fletcher Christian, and bar
> owners Blackie Norton and Blackie Gallagher; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1930s movie. To repeat, for normal score, either
> name the *movie* he won for, or his *character* in the movie;

it happened one night, peter warne

> 2. He also played sales executive C.R. MacNamara, outlaws Cody
> Jarrett and Jim Kincaid, and police commissioner Rhinelander
> Waldo; but he won Best Actor for a 1940s movie.

yankee doodle dandy, george cohan

> 3. He also played naval officer Philip Queeg, bar owner Rick Blaine,
> and detectives Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1950s movie.

the african queen, charlie allnut

> 4. He also played newsmen Joe Bradley and Phil Schuyler Green,
> commando Keith Mallory, and sea captain Ahab; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1960s movie.

to kill a mockingbird, atticus finch

> 5. She also played Evelyn Mulwray, Bonnie Parker, Joan Crawford,
> and Serena Joy; but she won Best Actress for a 1970s movie.

network, diana christensen

> 6. He also played Billy the Kid, Nobel-winning author Andrew Craig,
> General Leslie Groves, and lawyer Frank Galvin; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1980s movie.

the color of money, 'fast' eddie felson

> 7. She also played Emma Woodhouse, Margot Tenenbaum, reporter Polly
> Perkins, and assistant Pepper Potts; but she won Best Actress
> for a 1990s movie.

shakespeare in love, viola de lesseps

> 8. He also played Jor-El, policeman Bud White, boxer Jim Braddock,
> and naval captain Jack Aubrey. But he won Best Actor for a
> 2000s movie. (That means 2000-09.)

gladiator, general maximus decimus meridius

> 9. He also played Howard Hughes, Amsterdam Vallon, Jack Dawson,
> and Frank Abagnale ["AB-ag-nail"] Jr.; but he won Best Actor
> for a 2010s movie.

the revenant, hugh glass

> 10. Oops, we ran out of complete decades during the time that Oscars
> have existed. Okay, this person won Best Actress for *either*
> a 1920s or a 2020s movie, but we won't tell you which. She also
> played Maya Harris, Molly Bloom, Melissa Lewis, and Murph Cooper.

the eyes of tammy faye, tammy faye bakker

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "Here I sit, ego the size of a planet..."
> m...@vex.net | --Steve Summit (after Douglas Adams)
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only Oscar

<uoneje$heo$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5929&group=rec.games.trivia#5929

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 04:16:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 04:16 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - Defunct NHL Franchise Locations

> 4. Quakers.

Philadelphia

> 5. Rockies.

Denver

> 9. Nordiques.

Quebec City

> 10. Jets.

Winnipeg

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Entertainment - Their Only Acting Oscar

> 1. He also played Rhett Butler, sailor Fletcher Christian, and bar
> owners Blackie Norton and Blackie Gallagher; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1930s movie. To repeat, for normal score, either
> name the *movie* he won for, or his *character* in the movie;
> for the bonus, name both.

It Happened One Night

> 3. He also played naval officer Philip Queeg, bar owner Rick Blaine,
> and detectives Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1950s movie.

The African Queen; Key Largo

> 6. He also played Billy the Kid, Nobel-winning author Andrew Craig,
> General Leslie Groves, and lawyer Frank Galvin; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1980s movie.

The Color of Money

> 8. He also played Jor-El, policeman Bud White, boxer Jim Braddock,
> and naval captain Jack Aubrey. But he won Best Actor for a
> 2000s movie. (That means 2000-09.)

Gladiator

> 9. He also played Howard Hughes, Amsterdam Vallon, Jack Dawson,
> and Frank Abagnale ["AB-ag-nail"] Jr.; but he won Best Actor
> for a 2010s movie.

The Revenant

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only Oscar

<0d37a6a3-4773-4dea-bcb9-12a67114d15cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5930&group=rec.games.trivia#5930

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 22:53:17 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 06:53 UTC

On Monday, January 22, 2024 at 6:03:33 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - Defunct NHL Franchise Locations
>
> An NHL team is not always a big money-maker for itself or its city.
> Although the league has had periods of stability, there have also
> been many times when teams decamped for greener pastures or just
> failed outright. In each case, we give you a team's name, and
> you identify the city (or other place name) that it represented
> when it had that name.
>
> Please be careful with the table-talk, as some teams and cities
> have managed to fail more than once and may appear twice in this
> round under different names; also, some teams have the same name
> as a team in another league, or have themselves played in another
> league at some time. This round is only talking about the NHL.

> 1. Seals, also called the Golden Seals.

Oakland

> 2. Barons.

Cleveland

> 4. Quakers.

Philadelphia
> 5. Rockies.

Colorado

> 6. Thrashers.

Atlanta
> 7. Tigers.

Montreal

> 8. Americans.

New York
> 9. Nordiques.

Quebec

> 10. Jets.

Winnipeg

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Entertainment - Their Only Acting Oscar
>
> Each question on these rounds will ask for two facts. If you give
> one of them, you get the regular score, but if you give both, you
> get a 2-point bonus. Warning: if you try for the bonus and fail to
> get both facts right, then your answer is wrong.
>
> *No points for naming the person.* The two facts we're asking
> for are the name of the *movie* they won the Oscar for, and the
> name of their *character* in the movie. For your normal score,
> name either one; for the bonus, name both.
>
> 1. He also played Rhett Butler, sailor Fletcher Christian, and bar
> owners Blackie Norton and Blackie Gallagher; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1930s movie. To repeat, for normal score, either
> name the *movie* he won for, or his *character* in the movie;
> for the bonus, name both.

"It Happened One Night"

> 2. He also played sales executive C.R. MacNamara, outlaws Cody
> Jarrett and Jim Kincaid, and police commissioner Rhinelander
> Waldo; but he won Best Actor for a 1940s movie.

(Playing for bonus) "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and George M. Cohan

> 3. He also played naval officer Philip Queeg, bar owner Rick Blaine,
> and detectives Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1950s movie.

"The African Queen"

> 4. He also played newsmen Joe Bradley and Phil Schuyler Green,
> commando Keith Mallory, and sea captain Ahab; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1960s movie.

(Playing for bonus) "To Kill a Mockingbird" and Atticus Finch

> 5. She also played Evelyn Mulwray, Bonnie Parker, Joan Crawford,
> and Serena Joy; but she won Best Actress for a 1970s movie.

"Network"

> 6. He also played Billy the Kid, Nobel-winning author Andrew Craig,
> General Leslie Groves, and lawyer Frank Galvin; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1980s movie.

(Playing for bonus) "The Color of Money" and Eddie Felson
> 7. She also played Emma Woodhouse, Margot Tenenbaum, reporter Polly
> Perkins, and assistant Pepper Potts; but she won Best Actress
> for a 1990s movie.

"Shakespeare in Love"

> 8. He also played Jor-El, policeman Bud White, boxer Jim Braddock,
> and naval captain Jack Aubrey. But he won Best Actor for a
> 2000s movie. (That means 2000-09.)

"Gladiator"

> 9. He also played Howard Hughes, Amsterdam Vallon, Jack Dawson,
> and Frank Abagnale ["AB-ag-nail"] Jr.; but he won Best Actor
> for a 2010s movie.

"The Revenant"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only Oscar

<uono65$15vdn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5931&group=rec.games.trivia#5931

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 23:00:21 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:00 UTC

On 1/22/24 04:03, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - Defunct NHL Franchise Locations
>
> An NHL team is not always a big money-maker for itself or its city.
> Although the league has had periods of stability, there have also
> been many times when teams decamped for greener pastures or just
> failed outright. In each case, we give you a team's name, and
> you identify the city (or other place name) that it represented
> when it had that name.
>
> Please be careful with the table-talk, as some teams and cities
> have managed to fail more than once and may appear twice in this
> round under different names; also, some teams have the same name
> as a team in another league, or have themselves played in another
> league at some time. This round is only talking about the NHL.
>
> 1. Seals, also called the Golden Seals.
> 2. Barons.
> 3. Pirates.
> 4. Quakers.
> 5. Rockies.
> 6. Thrashers.
> 7. Tigers.
> 8. Americans.
> 9. Nordiques.

Quebec City

> [...]
>
> 7. She also played Emma Woodhouse, Margot Tenenbaum, reporter Polly
> Perkins, and assistant Pepper Potts; but she won Best Actress
> for a 1990s movie.
>
> 8. He also played Jor-El, policeman Bud White, boxer Jim Braddock,
> and naval captain Jack Aubrey. But he won Best Actor for a
> 2000s movie. (That means 2000-09.)
>
> 9. He also played Howard Hughes, Amsterdam Vallon, Jack Dawson,
> and Frank Abagnale ["AB-ag-nail"] Jr.; but he won Best Actor
> for a 2010s movie.
>
> 10. Oops, we ran out of complete decades during the time that Oscars
> have existed. Okay, this person won Best Actress for *either*
> a 1920s or a 2020s movie, but we won't tell you which. She also
> played Maya Harris, Molly Bloom, Melissa Lewis, and Murph Cooper.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only Oscar

<XnsB102D478BB801Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5932&group=rec.games.trivia#5932

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 20:53:12 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 19:53 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - Defunct NHL Franchise Locations
>
> 5. Rockies.

Colorado

> 6. Thrashers.

Atlanta

> 9. Nordiques.

Québec

> 10. Jets.

Winnipeg

Re: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: once NHL, only Oscar

<uor7bc$1rd81$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5933&group=rec.games.trivia#5933

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 08:37:32 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:37 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-20,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - Defunct NHL Franchise Locations
>
> An NHL team is not always a big money-maker for itself or its city.
> Although the league has had periods of stability, there have also
> been many times when teams decamped for greener pastures or just
> failed outright. In each case, we give you a team's name, and
> you identify the city (or other place name) that it represented
> when it had that name.
>
> Please be careful with the table-talk, as some teams and cities
> have managed to fail more than once and may appear twice in this
> round under different names; also, some teams have the same name
> as a team in another league, or have themselves played in another
> league at some time. This round is only talking about the NHL.
>
> 1. Seals, also called the Golden Seals.

California

> 2. Barons.

Cleveland

> 3. Pirates.

Pittsburgh

> 4. Quakers.

Boston

> 5. Rockies.

Colorado

> 6. Thrashers.

Atlanta

> 7. Tigers.

Detroit

> 8. Americans.

New York

> 9. Nordiques.

Quebec

> 10. Jets.

Winnipeg

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Entertainment - Their Only Acting Oscar
>
> For the benefit of any teams that need to make up a lot of points
> -- or of people who wish we had more freedom to keep things more
> interesting by asking occasionally for two-part answers --
> *Rounds 8 and 9 of this game will each be bonus rounds.*
>
> Each question on these rounds will ask for two facts. If you give
> one of them, you get the regular score, but if you give both, you
> get a 2-point bonus. Warning: if you try for the bonus and fail to
> get both facts right, then your answer is wrong.
>
> If making two guesses, you may try for the bonus on either or both.
> Please make it explicit how you are answering.
>
> On this round, each question is about a person who has *only once*
> won an Oscar for acting and it was either Best Actor or Best
> Actress, no supporting roles. We will tell you the decade when
> the relevant movie was released, and we'll list several *other*
> roles played by the same person through their career.
>
> *No points for naming the person.* The two facts we're asking
> for are the name of the *movie* they won the Oscar for, and the
> name of their *character* in the movie. For your normal score,
> name either one; for the bonus, name both.
>
> 1. He also played Rhett Butler, sailor Fletcher Christian, and bar
> owners Blackie Norton and Blackie Gallagher; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1930s movie. To repeat, for normal score, either
> name the *movie* he won for, or his *character* in the movie;
> for the bonus, name both.
>
> 2. He also played sales executive C.R. MacNamara, outlaws Cody
> Jarrett and Jim Kincaid, and police commissioner Rhinelander
> Waldo; but he won Best Actor for a 1940s movie.
>
> 3. He also played naval officer Philip Queeg, bar owner Rick Blaine,
> and detectives Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1950s movie.

The African Queen

> 4. He also played newsmen Joe Bradley and Phil Schuyler Green,
> commando Keith Mallory, and sea captain Ahab; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1960s movie.
>
> 5. She also played Evelyn Mulwray, Bonnie Parker, Joan Crawford,
> and Serena Joy; but she won Best Actress for a 1970s movie.
>
> 6. He also played Billy the Kid, Nobel-winning author Andrew Craig,
> General Leslie Groves, and lawyer Frank Galvin; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1980s movie.
>
> 7. She also played Emma Woodhouse, Margot Tenenbaum, reporter Polly
> Perkins, and assistant Pepper Potts; but she won Best Actress
> for a 1990s movie.
>
> 8. He also played Jor-El, policeman Bud White, boxer Jim Braddock,
> and naval captain Jack Aubrey. But he won Best Actor for a
> 2000s movie. (That means 2000-09.)
>
> 9. He also played Howard Hughes, Amsterdam Vallon, Jack Dawson,
> and Frank Abagnale ["AB-ag-nail"] Jr.; but he won Best Actor
> for a 2010s movie.
>
> 10. Oops, we ran out of complete decades during the time that Oscars
> have existed. Okay, this person won Best Actress for *either*
> a 1920s or a 2020s movie, but we won't tell you which. She also
> played Maya Harris, Molly Bloom, Melissa Lewis, and Murph Cooper.

Pete Gayde

QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: once NHL, only Oscar

<bjSdnQjfW7AbSy_4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5934&group=rec.games.trivia#5934

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: once NHL, only Oscar
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:45:42 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:45 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-20,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The Oscars round.

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - Defunct NHL Franchise Locations

> An NHL team is not always a big money-maker for itself or its city.
> Although the league has had periods of stability, there have also
> been many times when teams decamped for greener pastures or just
> failed outright. In each case, we give you a team's name, and
> you identify the city (or other place name) that it represented
> when it had that name.

> Please be careful with the table-talk, as some teams and cities
> have managed to fail more than once and may appear twice in this
> round under different names; also, some teams have the same name
> as a team in another league, or have themselves played in another
> league at some time. This round is only talking about the NHL.

> 1. Seals, also called the Golden Seals.

California, Oakland, or Bay Area. (Operated there 1967-76.)
4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 2. Barons.

Cleveland. (Formerly the Seals. Operated there 1976-78, then merged
into Minnesota North Stars, now Dallas Stars.) 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 3. Pirates.

Pittsburgh. (Operated there 1925-30.) 4 for Pete.

> 4. Quakers.

Philadelphia. (Operated there 1930-31.) 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 5. Rockies.

Colorado. (Operated there 1976-82. Now the New Jersey Devils.)
4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

No points for Denver, although that's where they played.

> 6. Thrashers.

Atlanta. (Operated there 1999-2011. Now the Winnipeg Jets.)
4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 7. Tigers.

Hamilton. (Operated there 1920-25.)

> 8. Americans.

New York or Brooklyn. (Operated there 1925-42.) 4 for Joshua
and Pete.

> 9. Nordiques.

Quebec City. (Operated there 1979-95. Now the Colorado Avalanche.)
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Pete.

> 10. Jets.

Winnipeg. (Operated there 1979-96. For the present Jets, see above.)
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Entertainment - Their Only Acting Oscar

> For the benefit of any teams that need to make up a lot of points
> -- or of people who wish we had more freedom to keep things more
> interesting by asking occasionally for two-part answers --
> *Rounds 8 and 9 of this game will each be bonus rounds.*

> Each question on these rounds will ask for two facts. If you give
> one of them, you get the regular score, but if you give both, you
> get a 2-point bonus. Warning: if you try for the bonus and fail to
> get both facts right, then your answer is wrong.

> If making two guesses, you may try for the bonus on either or both.
> Please make it explicit how you are answering.

> On this round, each question is about a person who has *only once*
> won an Oscar for acting and it was either Best Actor or Best
> Actress, no supporting roles. We will tell you the decade when
> the relevant movie was released, and we'll list several *other*
> roles played by the same person through their career.

> *No points for naming the person.* The two facts we're asking
> for are the name of the *movie* they won the Oscar for, and the
> name of their *character* in the movie. For your normal score,
> name either one; for the bonus, name both.

> 1. He also played Rhett Butler, sailor Fletcher Christian, and bar
> owners Blackie Norton and Blackie Gallagher; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1930s movie. To repeat, for normal score, either
> name the *movie* he won for, or his *character* in the movie;
> for the bonus, name both.

"It Happened One Night" (1934), playing Peter Warne. 6 for Stephen.
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

It's Clark Gable -- also in: "Gone with the Wind" (1939), "Mutiny on
the Bounty" (1935), "San Francisco" (1936), and "Manhattan Melodrama"
(1934).

> 2. He also played sales executive C.R. MacNamara, outlaws Cody
> Jarrett and Jim Kincaid, and police commissioner Rhinelander
> Waldo; but he won Best Actor for a 1940s movie.

"Yankee Doodle Dandy" (1942), playing George M. Cohan. 6 for Stephen
and Joshua.

It's James Cagney -- also in: "One, Two, Three" (1961), "White Heat"
(1949), "The Oklahoma Kid" (1939), and "Ragtime" (1981, after a
20-year retirement).

> 3. He also played naval officer Philip Queeg, bar owner Rick Blaine,
> and detectives Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1950s movie.

"The African Queen" (1951), playing Charlie Allnut. 6 for Stephen.
4 for Joshua and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

It's Humphrey Bogart -- also in: "The Caine Mutiny" (1954),
"Casablanca" (1942), "The Big Sleep" (1946). and "The Maltese Falcon"
(1941).

> 4. He also played newsmen Joe Bradley and Phil Schuyler Green,
> commando Keith Mallory, and sea captain Ahab; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1960s movie.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" (1962), playing Atticus Finch. 6 for Stephen
and Joshua.

It's Gregory Peck -- also in: "Roman Holiday" (1953), "Gentleman's
Agreement" (1947), "The Guns of Navarone" (1961), and "Moby Dick"
(1956).

> 5. She also played Evelyn Mulwray, Bonnie Parker, Joan Crawford,
> and Serena Joy; but she won Best Actress for a 1970s movie.

"Network" (1976), playing Diana Christensen. 6 for Stephen.
4 for Joshua.

It's Faye Dunaway -- also in: "Chinatown" (1974), "Bonnie and Clyde"
(1967), "Mommie Dearest" (1981), and "The Handmaid's Tale" (1990).

> 6. He also played Billy the Kid, Nobel-winning author Andrew Craig,
> General Leslie Groves, and lawyer Frank Galvin; but he won Best
> Actor for a 1980s movie.

"The Color of Money" (1986), playing "Fast" Eddie Felson.
6 for Stephen and Joshua. 4 for Dan Blum.

It's Paul Newman, in the sequel to "The Hustler" (1961) -- and also
in: "The Left Handed Gun" (1958), "The Prize" (1963), "Fat Man and
Little Boy" (1989), and "The Verdict" (1982).

> 7. She also played Emma Woodhouse, Margot Tenenbaum, reporter Polly
> Perkins, and assistant Pepper Potts; but she won Best Actress
> for a 1990s movie.

"Shakespeare in Love" (1998), playing Viola De Lesseps. 6 for
Stephen. 4 for Joshua.

It's Gwyneth Paltrow -- also in: "Emma" (1996), "The Royal Tenenbaums"
(2001), "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" (2004), and "Iron Man"
(2008) and sequels.

> 8. He also played Jor-El, policeman Bud White, boxer Jim Braddock,
> and naval captain Jack Aubrey. But he won Best Actor for a
> 2000s movie. (That means 2000-09.)

"Gladiator" (2000), playing Maximus Decimus Meridius (Maximus was
sufficient). 6 for Stephen. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

It's Russell Crowe -- also in: "Man of Steel" (2013),
"L.A. Confidential" (1997), "Cinderella Man" (2005), and "Master
and Commander: The Far Side of the World" (2000).

> 9. He also played Howard Hughes, Amsterdam Vallon, Jack Dawson,
> and Frank Abagnale ["AB-ag-nail"] Jr.; but he won Best Actor
> for a 2010s movie.

"The Revenant" (2015), playing Hugh Glass. 6 for Stephen.
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

It's Leonardo DiCaprio -- also in: "The Aviator" (2004), "Gangs of
New York" (2002), "Titanic" (1997), and "Catch Me If You Can" (2002).

> 10. Oops, we ran out of complete decades during the time that Oscars
> have existed. Okay, this person won Best Actress for *either*
> a 1920s or a 2020s movie, but we won't tell you which. She also
> played Maya Harris, Molly Bloom, Melissa Lewis, and Murph Cooper.

"The Eyes of Tammy Faye" (2021), playing Tammy Faye Bakker.
6 for Stephen.

It's Jessica Chastain -- also in: "Zero Dark Thirty" (2012), "Molly's
Game" (2017), "The Martian" (2015), and "Interstellar" (2014).

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Geo Mis Sci Spo Ent FOUR
Stephen Perry 12 0 40 40 0 60 152
Joshua Kreitzer 9 28 36 32 32 42 142
Dan Blum 4 32 20 40 12 19 111
Dan Tilque 4 24 12 40 4 0 80
Pete Gayde 8 32 -- -- 32 4 76
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 0 16 16 0 52

--
Mark Brader | Many "business-oriented" packagings of these
Toronto | [UNIXes] ... omit the games section. Those
| as worker insects of some sort. -- "J. E. Lapin"

Click here to read the complete article