I often quote myself; it adds spice to my conversation. -- G. B. Shaw

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3 answers: geography, miscellaneous

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneousMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneousJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneousDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneousErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneousswp
+* Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneousDan Tilque
|+* Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneousMark Brader
||`- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneousswp
|`- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneousErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneousPete Gayde
`- QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3 answers: geography, miscellaneousMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneous

<hc2cnT9sHN9YmCr4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5943&group=rec.games.trivia#5943

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneous
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 01:56:21 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 01:56 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

We wrote the Final entirely in pairs, allowing teams to select what
order the pairs were used in. There was no Canadiana category,
but Canadiana pairs were distributed through the different rounds.
In this set I wrote 8 of the 12 pairs.

** Round 2 - Geography

* A. South American Cities

A1. Name the city of about half a million in Peru's part of the
Amazon basin that is the largest city in the world that
*is not* on an island, but has *no access* by road.

A2. In which country would you find El Alto, meaning "the
heights"? It's the second-largest city in the country,
larger than the capital of which it was once a part, and
has the distinction of being the largest mostly-indigenous
city in all of Latin America.

* B. A is the Only Vowel

In these questions the "name" of a country means its usual short
name in English, like "France" or "Germany".

B1. In North and South America, including their associated
islands, there are three countries where the only vowels
in the name are instances of A. Name *either one* of the
*other two*.

B2. In Africa, including its associated islands, there are four
countries where the only vowels in the name are instances
of A. Name *any one*.

* C. Population and Spelling

Again, in these questions the "name" of a country means its usual
short name in English.

C1. What is the world's most populous country with a Z in
its name?

C2. What is the world's most populous country with an X in
its name?

* D. Canadiana: Ontario County Seats

D1. Owen Sound is the county seat of which county? Hint:
The name resembles a well-known sports trophy.

D2. Orangeville, Ontario, is the county seat of which county?
Hint: The name resembles a major street in Toronto.

* E. Lakes at Interesting Elevations

E1. This body of water in Venezuela is sometimes called the
largest lake in South America, but it's practically at sea
level and receives ocean water at high tide, so arguably
it's not a lake at all. In any case, what's its name?

E2. The other candidate for the largest lake in South America
is so far above sea level that it's the world's highest
lake navigable by large ships. What's its name?

* F. Artificial Lakes

F1. Lake Mead was created by damming what river?
F2. Lake Nasser was created by damming what river?

** Round 3 - Miscellaneous

* A. Culinary Terms

A1. What word means to lightly coat uncooked food with a dry
mixture, typically flour, cornmeal, or bread crumbs?

A2. What word means a thick creamy soup, with a base of strained
broth of shellfish or game?

* B. The Exception to the Pattern

B1. Sue Grafton wrote 25 novels about Kinsey Millhone. The
first and last titles were "A is for Alibi" and "Y is for
Yesterday", and most of the rest followed the same pattern
in alphabetical order. But the 24th book, in 2015, did
not fit the pattern. What was its full title?

B2. Once the term "Super Bowl" became official, it became
customary to refer to the annual instances of the game using
Roman numerals in sequence, for example "Super Bowl XIV".
But again, in 2015 an exception to the pattern was made.
What did they call the game that year?

* C. Crossword Words

These questions were stolen from a recent "Toronto Star" crossword.
If you disagree with the clue, please take it up with the "Star".
In each case, we give you the clue, the number of letters, and
one letter you're supposed to have already filled in in the grid.
You give the exact answer that would go into the puzzle solution.
Example: we say "Add yeast, 6 letters, 2nd letter is E"; you
say LEAVEN.

C1. "Ancient port near Carthage or a town in New York State."
5 letters, 2nd letter is T.

C2. "Put in chains." 7 letters, 3rd letter is S.

* D. Gaza

D1. The Gaza Strip has been much in the news in recent weeks.
What is its area, within 5% of the true number in either
direction?

D2. In 2005 Israel withdrew from military occupation of Gaza,
including the removal of settlers. Which Israeli prime
minister proposed, and was eventually able to implement,
the withdrawal?

* E. Prizes Established

E1. What year, within 5, were the first Pulitzer ["PULL-it-zer"]
Prizes given out?

E2. What year, within 5, were the first Nobel Prizes given out?

* F. Indian Numbers

F1. In India they generally do not express large numbers
in millions. What we call a million, they would call how
many lakhs?

F2. In India, one crore [rhymes with "bore"] equals how many
lakhs?

--
Mark Brader "'... Fifty science-fiction magazines don't give
Toronto you half the naked women that a good issue of

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneous

<4bc21492-3815-4d10-8fda-a5b93784344cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5944&group=rec.games.trivia#5944

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 18:21:27 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 02:21 UTC

On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 7:56:33 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> ** Round 2 - Geography
>
> * A. South American Cities
>
> A1. Name the city of about half a million in Peru's part of the
> Amazon basin that is the largest city in the world that
> *is not* on an island, but has *no access* by road.

Iguacu

> A2. In which country would you find El Alto, meaning "the
> heights"? It's the second-largest city in the country,
> larger than the capital of which it was once a part, and
> has the distinction of being the largest mostly-indigenous
> city in all of Latin America.

Bolivia

> * B. A is the Only Vowel
>
> In these questions the "name" of a country means its usual short
> name in English, like "France" or "Germany".
>
> B1. In North and South America, including their associated
> islands, there are three countries where the only vowels
> in the name are instances of A. Name *either one* of the
> *other two*.

Panama

> B2. In Africa, including its associated islands, there are four
> countries where the only vowels in the name are instances
> of A. Name *any one*.

Chad; Madagascar

> * C. Population and Spelling
>
> Again, in these questions the "name" of a country means its usual
> short name in English.
>
> C1. What is the world's most populous country with a Z in
> its name?

Mozambique

> C2. What is the world's most populous country with an X in
> its name?

Mexico

> * D. Canadiana: Ontario County Seats
>
> D1. Owen Sound is the county seat of which county? Hint:
> The name resembles a well-known sports trophy.

Stanley; Gray

> * E. Lakes at Interesting Elevations
>
> E2. The other candidate for the largest lake in South America
> is so far above sea level that it's the world's highest
> lake navigable by large ships. What's its name?

Lake Titicaca

> * F. Artificial Lakes
>
> F1. Lake Mead was created by damming what river?

Colorado River
> F2. Lake Nasser was created by damming what river?

Nile River

> ** Round 3 - Miscellaneous
>
> * B. The Exception to the Pattern
>
> B1. Sue Grafton wrote 25 novels about Kinsey Millhone. The
> first and last titles were "A is for Alibi" and "Y is for
> Yesterday", and most of the rest followed the same pattern
> in alphabetical order. But the 24th book, in 2015, did
> not fit the pattern. What was its full title?

"X"

> B2. Once the term "Super Bowl" became official, it became
> customary to refer to the annual instances of the game using
> Roman numerals in sequence, for example "Super Bowl XIV".
> But again, in 2015 an exception to the pattern was made.
> What did they call the game that year?

Super Bowl 50
(I'm not really sure that the 50th Super Bowl was in 2015, but I don't think they called it Super Bowl L whenever it was)

> * C. Crossword Words
>
> These questions were stolen from a recent "Toronto Star" crossword.
> If you disagree with the clue, please take it up with the "Star".
> In each case, we give you the clue, the number of letters, and
> one letter you're supposed to have already filled in in the grid.
> You give the exact answer that would go into the puzzle solution.
> Example: we say "Add yeast, 6 letters, 2nd letter is E"; you
> say LEAVEN.
>
> C1. "Ancient port near Carthage or a town in New York State."
> 5 letters, 2nd letter is T.

UTICA

> C2. "Put in chains." 7 letters, 3rd letter is S.

ENSNARE

> * D. Gaza
>
> D2. In 2005 Israel withdrew from military occupation of Gaza,
> including the removal of settlers. Which Israeli prime
> minister proposed, and was eventually able to implement,
> the withdrawal?

Sharon

> * E. Prizes Established
>
> E1. What year, within 5, were the first Pulitzer ["PULL-it-zer"]
> Prizes given out?

1921
> E2. What year, within 5, were the first Nobel Prizes given out?

1901

> * F. Indian Numbers
>
> F1. In India they generally do not express large numbers
> in millions. What we call a million, they would call how
> many lakhs?

100; 10

> F2. In India, one crore [rhymes with "bore"] equals how many
> lakhs?

1000; 100

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneous

<up72n1$gnh$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5945&group=rec.games.trivia#5945

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 02:32:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 02:32 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Round 2 - Geography

> * A. South American Cities

> A2. In which country would you find El Alto, meaning "the
> heights"? It's the second-largest city in the country,
> larger than the capital of which it was once a part, and
> has the distinction of being the largest mostly-indigenous
> city in all of Latin America.

Bolivia

> * B. A is the Only Vowel

> B1. In North and South America, including their associated
> islands, there are three countries where the only vowels
> in the name are instances of A. Name *either one* of the
> *other two*.

Panama

> B2. In Africa, including its associated islands, there are four
> countries where the only vowels in the name are instances
> of A. Name *any one*.

Ghana

> * C. Population and Spelling

> C1. What is the world's most populous country with a Z in
> its name?

Brazil

> C2. What is the world's most populous country with an X in
> its name?

Mexico

> * E. Lakes at Interesting Elevations

> E1. This body of water in Venezuela is sometimes called the
> largest lake in South America, but it's practically at sea
> level and receives ocean water at high tide, so arguably
> it's not a lake at all. In any case, what's its name?

Maracaibo

> E2. The other candidate for the largest lake in South America
> is so far above sea level that it's the world's highest
> lake navigable by large ships. What's its name?

Titicaca

> * F. Artificial Lakes

> F1. Lake Mead was created by damming what river?

Colorado

> F2. Lake Nasser was created by damming what river?

Nile

> ** Round 3 - Miscellaneous

> * A. Culinary Terms

> A1. What word means to lightly coat uncooked food with a dry
> mixture, typically flour, cornmeal, or bread crumbs?

dredge

> A2. What word means a thick creamy soup, with a base of strained
> broth of shellfish or game?

chowder

> * B. The Exception to the Pattern

> B2. Once the term "Super Bowl" became official, it became
> customary to refer to the annual instances of the game using
> Roman numerals in sequence, for example "Super Bowl XIV".
> But again, in 2015 an exception to the pattern was made.
> What did they call the game that year?

Super Bowl 50

> * C. Crossword Words

> C1. "Ancient port near Carthage or a town in New York State."
> 5 letters, 2nd letter is T.

Utica

> C2. "Put in chains." 7 letters, 3rd letter is S.

enslave

> * D. Gaza

> D1. The Gaza Strip has been much in the news in recent weeks.
> What is its area, within 5% of the true number in either
> direction?

600 square miles

> * E. Prizes Established

> E1. What year, within 5, were the first Pulitzer ["PULL-it-zer"]
> Prizes given out?

1910

> E2. What year, within 5, were the first Nobel Prizes given out?

1900

> * F. Indian Numbers

> F1. In India they generally do not express large numbers
> in millions. What we call a million, they would call how
> many lakhs?

10

> F2. In India, one crore [rhymes with "bore"] equals how many
> lakhs?

1/10

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneous

<XnsB108F3FFE24A0Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5946&group=rec.games.trivia#5946

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:59:10 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:59 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Round 2 - Geography
>
> * A. South American Cities
>
> A2. In which country would you find El Alto, meaning "the
> heights"? It's the second-largest city in the country,
> larger than the capital of which it was once a part, and
> has the distinction of being the largest mostly-indigenous
> city in all of Latin America.

Bolivia

> * B. A is the Only Vowel
>
> In these questions the "name" of a country means its usual short
> name in English, like "France" or "Germany".
>
> B1. In North and South America, including their associated
> islands, there are three countries where the only vowels
> in the name are instances of A. Name *either one* of the
> *other two*.

Panama
> B2. In Africa, including its associated islands, there are four
> countries where the only vowels in the name are instances
> of A. Name *any one*.

Chad

> * C. Population and Spelling
>
> C1. What is the world's most populous country with a Z in
> its name?

Mozambique
> C2. What is the world's most populous country with an X in
> its name?

Mexico

> * E. Lakes at Interesting Elevations
>
> E2. The other candidate for the largest lake in South America
> is so far above sea level that it's the world's highest
> lake navigable by large ships. What's its name?

Titicaca
> * F. Artificial Lakes
>
> F2. Lake Nasser was created by damming what river?

The Nile

> ** Round 3 - Miscellaneous
>
> * A. Culinary Terms
>
> A2. What word means a thick creamy soup, with a base of strained
> broth of shellfish or game?

Chowder
> C1. "Ancient port near Carthage or a town in New York State."
> 5 letters, 2nd letter is T.

Itaca

> * D. Gaza
>
> D1. The Gaza Strip has been much in the news in recent weeks.
> What is its area, within 5% of the true number in either
> direction?

5000 km²
> D2. In 2005 Israel withdrew from military occupation of Gaza,
> including the removal of settlers. Which Israeli prime
> minister proposed, and was eventually able to implement,
> the withdrawal?

Ariel Sharon

> * E. Prizes Established
>
> E2. What year, within 5, were the first Nobel Prizes given out?

1901

> * F. Indian Numbers
>
> F1. In India they generally do not express large numbers
> in millions. What we call a million, they would call how
> many lakhs?

10
> F2. In India, one crore [rhymes with "bore"] equals how many
> lakhs?

100

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneous

<e3b2d94f-68b4-4b6c-b643-a70c44cd02d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5947&group=rec.games.trivia#5947

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 15:06:17 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:06 UTC

On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 8:56:33 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> We wrote the Final entirely in pairs, allowing teams to select what
> order the pairs were used in. There was no Canadiana category,
> but Canadiana pairs were distributed through the different rounds.
> In this set I wrote 8 of the 12 pairs.
>

> ** Round 2 - Geography
>
> * A. South American Cities
>
> A1. Name the city of about half a million in Peru's part of the
> Amazon basin that is the largest city in the world that
> *is not* on an island, but has *no access* by road.

aquito?

> A2. In which country would you find El Alto, meaning "the
> heights"? It's the second-largest city in the country,
> larger than the capital of which it was once a part, and
> has the distinction of being the largest mostly-indigenous
> city in all of Latin America.

bolivia

> * B. A is the Only Vowel
>
> In these questions the "name" of a country means its usual short
> name in English, like "France" or "Germany".
>
> B1. In North and South America, including their associated
> islands, there are three countries where the only vowels
> in the name are instances of A. Name *either one* of the
> *other two*.

panama [I was born there][bahamas is the other one I can think of]

> B2. In Africa, including its associated islands, there are four
> countries where the only vowels in the name are instances
> of A. Name *any one*.

chad ; ghana [rwanda and madagascar are the others]

> * C. Population and Spelling
>
> Again, in these questions the "name" of a country means its usual
> short name in English.
>
> C1. What is the world's most populous country with a Z in
> its name?

brazil

> C2. What is the world's most populous country with an X in
> its name?

mexico

> * D. Canadiana: Ontario County Seats
>
> D1. Owen Sound is the county seat of which county? Hint:
> The name resembles a well-known sports trophy.

grey??

> D2. Orangeville, Ontario, is the county seat of which county?
> Hint: The name resembles a major street in Toronto.

dufferin

> * E. Lakes at Interesting Elevations
>
> E1. This body of water in Venezuela is sometimes called the
> largest lake in South America, but it's practically at sea
> level and receives ocean water at high tide, so arguably
> it's not a lake at all. In any case, what's its name?

lake maracaibo

> E2. The other candidate for the largest lake in South America
> is so far above sea level that it's the world's highest
> lake navigable by large ships. What's its name?

lake titicaca

> * F. Artificial Lakes
>
> F1. Lake Mead was created by damming what river?

colorado river
> F2. Lake Nasser was created by damming what river?

nile river

> ** Round 3 - Miscellaneous
>
> * A. Culinary Terms
>
> A1. What word means to lightly coat uncooked food with a dry
> mixture, typically flour, cornmeal, or bread crumbs?

dredge

> A2. What word means a thick creamy soup, with a base of strained
> broth of shellfish or game?

bisque [dang nabbit now I want lobster bisque]

> * B. The Exception to the Pattern
>
> B1. Sue Grafton wrote 25 novels about Kinsey Millhone. The
> first and last titles were "A is for Alibi" and "Y is for
> Yesterday", and most of the rest followed the same pattern
> in alphabetical order. But the 24th book, in 2015, did
> not fit the pattern. What was its full title?

> B2. Once the term "Super Bowl" became official, it became
> customary to refer to the annual instances of the game using
> Roman numerals in sequence, for example "Super Bowl XIV".
> But again, in 2015 an exception to the pattern was made.
> What did they call the game that year?

superbowl 50 is the answer you are expecting, but that was played in 2016. the game played in february 2015 was superbowl xlix

> * C. Crossword Words
>
> These questions were stolen from a recent "Toronto Star" crossword.
> If you disagree with the clue, please take it up with the "Star".
> In each case, we give you the clue, the number of letters, and
> one letter you're supposed to have already filled in in the grid.
> You give the exact answer that would go into the puzzle solution.
> Example: we say "Add yeast, 6 letters, 2nd letter is E"; you
> say LEAVEN.
>
> C1. "Ancient port near Carthage or a town in New York State."
> 5 letters, 2nd letter is T.

utica

> C2. "Put in chains." 7 letters, 3rd letter is S.

enslave

> * D. Gaza
>
> D1. The Gaza Strip has been much in the news in recent weeks.
> What is its area, within 5% of the true number in either
> direction?

140 sq miles

> D2. In 2005 Israel withdrew from military occupation of Gaza,
> including the removal of settlers. Which Israeli prime
> minister proposed, and was eventually able to implement,
> the withdrawal?

ariel sharon

> * E. Prizes Established
>
> E1. What year, within 5, were the first Pulitzer ["PULL-it-zer"]
> Prizes given out?

1917

> E2. What year, within 5, were the first Nobel Prizes given out?

1901

> * F. Indian Numbers
>
> F1. In India they generally do not express large numbers
> in millions. What we call a million, they would call how
> many lakhs?

ten

> F2. In India, one crore [rhymes with "bore"] equals how many
> lakhs?

one hundred

> --
> Mark Brader "'... Fifty science-fiction magazines don't give
> Toronto you half the naked women that a good issue of
> m...@vex.net the Sunday Times does.'" --SPACE, James Michener
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneous

<upbiun$148f5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5948&group=rec.games.trivia#5948

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:33:40 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:33 UTC

On 1/28/24 17:56, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Round 2 - Geography
>
> * A. South American Cities
>
> A1. Name the city of about half a million in Peru's part of the
> Amazon basin that is the largest city in the world that
> *is not* on an island, but has *no access* by road.
>
> A2. In which country would you find El Alto, meaning "the
> heights"? It's the second-largest city in the country,
> larger than the capital of which it was once a part, and
> has the distinction of being the largest mostly-indigenous
> city in all of Latin America.

Paraguay

> * B. A is the Only Vowel
>
> In these questions the "name" of a country means its usual short
> name in English, like "France" or "Germany".
>
> B1. In North and South America, including their associated
> islands, there are three countries where the only vowels
> in the name are instances of A. Name *either one* of the
> *other two*.

Bahamas

(Looks like you left out a line like "One of them is xxxx." I suspect
xxxx was Canada.)

> B2. In Africa, including its associated islands, there are four
> countries where the only vowels in the name are instances
> of A. Name *any one*.

Ghana

> * C. Population and Spelling
>
> Again, in these questions the "name" of a country means its usual
> short name in English.
>
> C1. What is the world's most populous country with a Z in
> its name?

Zimbabwe

> C2. What is the world's most populous country with an X in
> its name?

Mexico

> * D. Canadiana: Ontario County Seats
>
> D1. Owen Sound is the county seat of which county? Hint:
> The name resembles a well-known sports trophy.
>
> D2. Orangeville, Ontario, is the county seat of which county?
> Hint: The name resembles a major street in Toronto.
>

> * E. Lakes at Interesting Elevations
>
> E1. This body of water in Venezuela is sometimes called the
> largest lake in South America, but it's practically at sea
> level and receives ocean water at high tide, so arguably
> it's not a lake at all. In any case, what's its name?
>
> E2. The other candidate for the largest lake in South America
> is so far above sea level that it's the world's highest
> lake navigable by large ships. What's its name?

Titicaca

> * F. Artificial Lakes
>
> F1. Lake Mead was created by damming what river?

Colorado

> F2. Lake Nasser was created by damming what river?

Nile

> ** Round 3 - Miscellaneous
>
> * A. Culinary Terms
>
> A1. What word means to lightly coat uncooked food with a dry
> mixture, typically flour, cornmeal, or bread crumbs?

breaded

> A2. What word means a thick creamy soup, with a base of strained
> broth of shellfish or game?

bouillabaisse

> * B. The Exception to the Pattern
>
> B1. Sue Grafton wrote 25 novels about Kinsey Millhone. The
> first and last titles were "A is for Alibi" and "Y is for
> Yesterday", and most of the rest followed the same pattern
> in alphabetical order. But the 24th book, in 2015, did
> not fit the pattern. What was its full title?
>
> B2. Once the term "Super Bowl" became official, it became
> customary to refer to the annual instances of the game using
> Roman numerals in sequence, for example "Super Bowl XIV".
> But again, in 2015 an exception to the pattern was made.
> What did they call the game that year?

Superbowl 50

> * C. Crossword Words
>
> These questions were stolen from a recent "Toronto Star" crossword.
> If you disagree with the clue, please take it up with the "Star".
> In each case, we give you the clue, the number of letters, and
> one letter you're supposed to have already filled in in the grid.
> You give the exact answer that would go into the puzzle solution.
> Example: we say "Add yeast, 6 letters, 2nd letter is E"; you
> say LEAVEN.
>
> C1. "Ancient port near Carthage or a town in New York State."
> 5 letters, 2nd letter is T.

Utica

> C2. "Put in chains." 7 letters, 3rd letter is S.
>

> * D. Gaza
>
> D1. The Gaza Strip has been much in the news in recent weeks.
> What is its area, within 5% of the true number in either
> direction?

45 sq km

> D2. In 2005 Israel withdrew from military occupation of Gaza,
> including the removal of settlers. Which Israeli prime
> minister proposed, and was eventually able to implement,
> the withdrawal?
>

> * E. Prizes Established
>
> E1. What year, within 5, were the first Pulitzer ["PULL-it-zer"]
> Prizes given out?

1932

> E2. What year, within 5, were the first Nobel Prizes given out?

1901

> * F. Indian Numbers
>
> F1. In India they generally do not express large numbers
> in millions. What we call a million, they would call how
> many lakhs?

10

> F2. In India, one crore [rhymes with "bore"] equals how many
> lakhs?

Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneous

<0dicnZUSY_BH8iT4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5949&group=rec.games.trivia#5949

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:53:30 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:53 UTC

Dan Tilque:
> (Looks like you left out a line like "One of them is xxxx."...)

Nope.
--
Mark Brader "I'm not Richard, either.
Toronto Oh, wait: I am! Lucky me!"

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneous

<18db98ec-806c-43c0-acfa-65ebb3ee7414n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5950&group=rec.games.trivia#5950

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 18:08:49 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 02:08 UTC

On Tuesday, January 30, 2024 at 4:53:42 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> Dan Tilque:
> > (Looks like you left out a line like "One of them is xxxx."...)
>
> Nope.
> --
> Mark Brader "I'm not Richard, either.
> Toronto Oh, wait: I am! Lucky me!"
> m...@vex.net --Richard R. Hershberger

perhaps he didn't read the top of your post? or interpreted it inappropriately?
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on
> 2023-11-27, and should be interpreted accordingly.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneous

<XnsB10AD3424EDFDYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5951&group=rec.games.trivia#5951

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 20:46:03 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 19:46 UTC

Dan Tilque (dtilque@frontier.com) writes:
>> B1. In North and South America, including their associated
>> islands, there are three countries where the only vowels
>> in the name are instances of A. Name *either one* of the
>> *other two*.
>
> Bahamas
>
> (Looks like you left out a line like "One of them is xxxx." I suspect
> xxxx was Canada.)

In a Toronto pub? Get real, Dan!

(I'm glad that Panama was the first that fell to my mind, so I did not
goof on this one. It's bad enough with missing Brazil. I could try to
blame it on that there is no Z in the Swedish spelling. But it's kind
of lame, since the same is true for the answer I gave to that question.)

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3: geography, miscellaneous

<upf4ce$1tnb4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5952&group=rec.games.trivia#5952

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 21:49:33 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 03:49 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> We wrote the Final entirely in pairs, allowing teams to select what
> order the pairs were used in. There was no Canadiana category,
> but Canadiana pairs were distributed through the different rounds.
> In this set I wrote 8 of the 12 pairs.
>

> ** Round 2 - Geography
>
> * A. South American Cities
>
> A1. Name the city of about half a million in Peru's part of the
> Amazon basin that is the largest city in the world that
> *is not* on an island, but has *no access* by road.

Cuzco

> A2. In which country would you find El Alto, meaning "the
> heights"? It's the second-largest city in the country,
> larger than the capital of which it was once a part, and
> has the distinction of being the largest mostly-indigenous
> city in all of Latin America.

Bolivia

> * B. A is the Only Vowel
>
> In these questions the "name" of a country means its usual short
> name in English, like "France" or "Germany".
>
> B1. In North and South America, including their associated
> islands, there are three countries where the only vowels
> in the name are instances of A. Name *either one* of the
> *other two*.

Bahamas

> B2. In Africa, including its associated islands, there are four
> countries where the only vowels in the name are instances
> of A. Name *any one*.

Chad

> * C. Population and Spelling
>
> Again, in these questions the "name" of a country means its usual
> short name in English.
>
> C1. What is the world's most populous country with a Z in
> its name?

Zaire

> C2. What is the world's most populous country with an X in
> its name?

Mexico

> * D. Canadiana: Ontario County Seats
>
> D1. Owen Sound is the county seat of which county? Hint:
> The name resembles a well-known sports trophy.
>
> D2. Orangeville, Ontario, is the county seat of which county?
> Hint: The name resembles a major street in Toronto.
>

> * E. Lakes at Interesting Elevations
>
> E1. This body of water in Venezuela is sometimes called the
> largest lake in South America, but it's practically at sea
> level and receives ocean water at high tide, so arguably
> it's not a lake at all. In any case, what's its name?
>
> E2. The other candidate for the largest lake in South America
> is so far above sea level that it's the world's highest
> lake navigable by large ships. What's its name?

Titicaca

> * F. Artificial Lakes
>
> F1. Lake Mead was created by damming what river?

Colorado

> F2. Lake Nasser was created by damming what river?

Nile

> ** Round 3 - Miscellaneous
>
> * A. Culinary Terms
>
> A1. What word means to lightly coat uncooked food with a dry
> mixture, typically flour, cornmeal, or bread crumbs?

Dredge

> A2. What word means a thick creamy soup, with a base of strained
> broth of shellfish or game?
>

> * B. The Exception to the Pattern
>
> B1. Sue Grafton wrote 25 novels about Kinsey Millhone. The
> first and last titles were "A is for Alibi" and "Y is for
> Yesterday", and most of the rest followed the same pattern
> in alphabetical order. But the 24th book, in 2015, did
> not fit the pattern. What was its full title?
>
> B2. Once the term "Super Bowl" became official, it became
> customary to refer to the annual instances of the game using
> Roman numerals in sequence, for example "Super Bowl XIV".
> But again, in 2015 an exception to the pattern was made.
> What did they call the game that year?

Super Bowl 50

> * C. Crossword Words
>
> These questions were stolen from a recent "Toronto Star" crossword.
> If you disagree with the clue, please take it up with the "Star".
> In each case, we give you the clue, the number of letters, and
> one letter you're supposed to have already filled in in the grid.
> You give the exact answer that would go into the puzzle solution.
> Example: we say "Add yeast, 6 letters, 2nd letter is E"; you
> say LEAVEN.
>
> C1. "Ancient port near Carthage or a town in New York State."
> 5 letters, 2nd letter is T.

Utica

> C2. "Put in chains." 7 letters, 3rd letter is S.

Ensnare

> * D. Gaza
>
> D1. The Gaza Strip has been much in the news in recent weeks.
> What is its area, within 5% of the true number in either
> direction?

40 square miles

> D2. In 2005 Israel withdrew from military occupation of Gaza,
> including the removal of settlers. Which Israeli prime
> minister proposed, and was eventually able to implement,
> the withdrawal?

Sharon; Barak

> * E. Prizes Established
>
> E1. What year, within 5, were the first Pulitzer ["PULL-it-zer"]
> Prizes given out?

1910; 1921

> E2. What year, within 5, were the first Nobel Prizes given out?

1890; 1901

> * F. Indian Numbers
>
> F1. In India they generally do not express large numbers
> in millions. What we call a million, they would call how
> many lakhs?
>
> F2. In India, one crore [rhymes with "bore"] equals how many
> lakhs?

Pete Gayde

QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3 answers: geography, miscellaneous

<yEWdnUMsPZH0uyb4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5953&group=rec.games.trivia#5953

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Final, Round 2-3 answers: geography, miscellaneous
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 05:04:41 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 05:04 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> We wrote the Final entirely in pairs, allowing teams to select what
> order the pairs were used in. There was no Canadiana category,
> but Canadiana pairs were distributed through the different rounds.
> In this set I wrote 8 of the 12 pairs.

In Round 2, I wrote pairs B through F; in Round 3, pairs B, E, and F.

> ** Round 2 - Geography

> * A. South American Cities

> A1. Name the city of about half a million in Peru's part of the
> Amazon basin that is the largest city in the world that
> *is not* on an island, but has *no access* by road.

Iquitos.

Iguacu is a waterfall and related features about 2,000 miles from there.

> A2. In which country would you find El Alto, meaning "the
> heights"? It's the second-largest city in the country,
> larger than the capital of which it was once a part, and
> has the distinction of being the largest mostly-indigenous
> city in all of Latin America.

Bolivia. (Next to La Paz.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Stephen,
and Pete.

> * B. A is the Only Vowel

> In these questions the "name" of a country means its usual short
> name in English, like "France" or "Germany".

> B1. In North and South America, including their associated
> islands, there are three countries where the only vowels
> in the name are instances of A. Name *either one* of the
> *other two*.

Bahamas, Panama. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Stephen,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> B2. In Africa, including its associated islands, there are four
> countries where the only vowels in the name are instances
> of A. Name *any one*.

Chad, Ghana, Madagascar, Rwanda. 4 for Joshua (the hard way),
Dan Blum, Erland, Stephen (the hard way), Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * C. Population and Spelling

> Again, in these questions the "name" of a country means its usual
> short name in English.

> C1. What is the world's most populous country with a Z in
> its name?

Brazil. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

According to the CIA World Factbook:

Brazil 218,689,757
Tanzania 65,642,682
Mozambique 32,513,805
Uzbekistan 31,360,836
Venezuela 30,518,260
Zambia 20,216,029
Kazakhstan 19,543,464
Zimbabwe 15,418,674
Czechia 10,706,242
Azerbaijan 10,420,515
Switzerland 8,563,760
Kyrgyzstan 6,122,781
New Zealand 5,109,702
Bosnia and Herzegovina 3,807,764
Gaza Strip 2,098,389
Belize 419,137

Zaire hasn't been the name of a country since 1997. The former
Zaire -- the Democratic Republic of the Congo -- only has 111,859,928
people anyway.

> C2. What is the world's most populous country with an X in >
its name?

Mexico. 4 for everyone.

Mexico 129,875,529
Luxembourg 660,924

> * D. Canadiana: Ontario County Seats

> D1. Owen Sound is the county seat of which county? Hint:
> The name resembles a well-known sports trophy.

Grey. 4 for Stephen. 2 for Joshua.

It's named after the grandfather of the Earl Grey who was known
for both the tea and the Grey Cup.

> D2. Orangeville, Ontario, is the county seat of which county?
> Hint: The name resembles a major street in Toronto.

Dufferin. 4 for Stephen.

> * E. Lakes at Interesting Elevations

> E1. This body of water in Venezuela is sometimes called the
> largest lake in South America, but it's practically at sea
> level and receives ocean water at high tide, so arguably
> it's not a lake at all. In any case, what's its name?

Lake Maracaibo. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> E2. The other candidate for the largest lake in South America
> is so far above sea level that it's the world's highest
> lake navigable by large ships. What's its name?

Lake Titicaca. 4 for everyone.

It's in Bolivia and Peru, at about 12,500 feet elevation.

> * F. Artificial Lakes

> F1. Lake Mead was created by damming what river?

Colorado. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> F2. Lake Nasser was created by damming what river?

Nile. 4 for everyone.

> ** Round 3 - Miscellaneous

> * A. Culinary Terms

> A1. What word means to lightly coat uncooked food with a dry
> mixture, typically flour, cornmeal, or bread crumbs?

Dredge. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> A2. What word means a thick creamy soup, with a base of strained
> broth of shellfish or game?

Bisque. 4 for Stephen.

> * B. The Exception to the Pattern

> B1. Sue Grafton wrote 25 novels about Kinsey Millhone. The
> first and last titles were "A is for Alibi" and "Y is for
> Yesterday", and most of the rest followed the same pattern
> in alphabetical order. But the 24th book, in 2015, did
> not fit the pattern. What was its full title?

"X". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> B2. Once the term "Super Bowl" became official, it became
> customary to refer to the annual instances of the game using
> Roman numerals in sequence, for example "Super Bowl XIV".
> But again, in 2015 an exception to the pattern was made.
> What did they call the game that year?

Super Bowl 50. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Apparently I meant to say "in the 2015 season" there. Sorry.

> * C. Crossword Words

> These questions were stolen from a recent "Toronto Star" crossword.
> If you disagree with the clue, please take it up with the "Star".
> In each case, we give you the clue, the number of letters, and
> one letter you're supposed to have already filled in in the grid.
> You give the exact answer that would go into the puzzle solution.
> Example: we say "Add yeast, 6 letters, 2nd letter is E"; you
> say LEAVEN.

> C1. "Ancient port near Carthage or a town in New York State."
> 5 letters, 2nd letter is T.

UTICA. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Ithaca is an island in Greece, not an ancient port near Carthage,
and is 6 letters long.

> C2. "Put in chains." 7 letters, 3rd letter is S.

ENSLAVE, but I also accepted ENSNARE. So, 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Pete.

> * D. Gaza

> D1. The Gaza Strip has been much in the news in recent weeks.
> What is its area, within 5% of the true number in either
> direction?

Different sources give numbers from 360 to 365 km²: Accepting 342-402
km², 125-155 sq. mi., or 80,060-99,213 acres. 4 for Stephen.

Nobody else came within a factor of 4 of the true answer -- two people
guessed too high, one too low.

> D2. In 2005 Israel withdrew from military occupation of Gaza,
> including the removal of settlers. Which Israeli prime
> minister proposed, and was eventually able to implement,
> the withdrawal?

Ariel Sharon ["AH-ree-el sha-ROHN"]. 4 for Joshua, Erland,
and Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> * E. Prizes Established

> E1. What year, within 5, were the first Pulitzer ["PULL-it-zer"]
> Prizes given out?

1917 (accepting 1912-22). 4 for Joshua and Stephen. 2 for Pete.

> E2. What year, within 5, were the first Nobel Prizes given out?

1901 (accepting 1896-1906). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque. 2 for Pete.

> * F. Indian Numbers

> F1. In India they generally do not express large numbers
> in millions. What we call a million, they would call how
> many lakhs?

10. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Stephen, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

> F2. In India, one crore [rhymes with "bore"] equals how many
> lakhs?

100. 4 for Erland, Stephen, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

Fun fact: The title of the Indian edition of "Who Wants to Be a
Millionaire" uses the word "Crorepati": a person with 10 million
rupees -- which they would write numerically not as "10,000,000"
with commas for millions and thousands, but as "1,00,00,000" with
commas for crores, lakhs, and thousands.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Mis
Stephen Perry 44 48 92