backups: always in season, never out of style.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8 answers: literature, history

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, historyMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, historyJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, historyErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, historyDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, historyDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, historyPete Gayde
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, historyswp
`* QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8 answers: literature, historyMark Brader
 `* Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8 answers: literature, historyErland Sommarskog
  `- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8 answers: literature, historyDan Blum

1
QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, history

<q62dnceEmcAUhiL4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5962&group=rec.games.trivia#5962

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, history
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 05:07:21 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 05:07 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote 6 of the 12 pairs in this set.

** Final, Round 7 - Literature

* A. More Italian Literature

A1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A1.jpg

This Italian was born in Cuba but moved with his family
to Italy as a child. He initially wrote in a realist
or neorealist style with such works as "The Crow Comes
Last", which dealt with his experiences in World War II.
His later work was influenced by more experimental writers
such as Roland Barthes. Name him.

A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A2.jpg

Who was the controversial poet, playwright, journalist,
and movie director whose first novel, "Hustlers", was
published in 1955? One of his best-known films is "The
Gospel According to St. Matthew". He died in violent and
never-explained circumstances in 1975.

* B. If You See It in the ""Sun""

There have been a number of newspapers called the "Sun", but these
questions are about the very popular one that started in New York
City in 1833 and was published until 1950.

B1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B1.jpg

In 1897 the "Sun" received a letter reading in part, "Papa
says 'If you see it in the Sun, it's so'". What question
did the writer want answered?

B2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B2.jpg

In 1835 the "Sun" ran a series of 6 articles detailing
discoveries supposely made by Sir John Herschel using a
new telescope. What did they say he had discovered?

* C. Daylight and Darkness and Newspapers

C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C1.jpg

Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
motto is "Democracy Dies in Darkness"?

C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C2.jpg

Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
motto is "Fair Play and Daylight"?

* D. More Travel Writing

D1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D1.jpg

This British-born author of South Asian descent has spent
much of his adult life in the US and Japan as well as the
UK, and is a long-time friend of the Dalai Lama. His travel
writings look at a variety of countries from an outsider or
cross-cultural perspective. He even wrote about Canada,
of all places. One of his best-known books is 2001's
"The Global Soul", a meditation on cultural globalization.
Name him.

D2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D2.jpg

"Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" is Dame Rebecca West's
over-1,000-page account of a trip to which country in 1937?
The country no longer exists.

* E. Isaac Asimov

E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E1.jpg

Isaac Asimov's ["AZ-im-ov'z"] best-known works include his
short stories and novels about robots. When he started
writing them, other writers often produced stories where
robots ran amok. Asimov decided it would be more interesting
to write about robots with built-in ethical principles --
principles that he called what?

E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E2.jpg

What fictional technology did Asimov's robots use to
accomplish reasoning? On "Star Trek: The Next Generation",
Commander Data used the same technology.

* F. Authors by European Background

In each case, name them.

F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F1.jpg

This German-speaking Bohemian author worked for many years
in the insurance business in his hometown of Prague.
The protagonists in his novels and short stories often
face weird or surrealistic quandaries and incomprehensible
entanglements with bureaucracy. He died in 1924 from
tuberculosis.

F2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F2.jpg

This Polish author had to learn English fluently in order
to fit into the genteel British environment he eventually
found himself in -- and became one of the most esteemed
writers in English literature. His most famous work was
inspired by a time years before, when he lived in Africa
and served on a steamer going up and down the Congo River.

** Final, Round 8 - History

* A. The Ones Before

A1. Before the US adopted its constitution in 1789, there were
14 presidents of the Continental Congress. Name *any one*.

A2. Before the Norman conquest under William I in 1066, there
were 19 men who are sometimes considered kings of England.
Name *any one*; his first name will be sufficient.

* B. International Organizations Formed

B1. The European Union now has 27 member countries. Within 1,
in 1957, how many countries formed what was then called
the European Common Market?

B2. The United Nations now has 193 member countries. Within 5,
how many member countries were there when it was formed
in 1945?

* C. More Economists

In each case, name them.

C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/econ-C1.jpg

This British economist and politician developed a series
of proposals in 1942 that formed the basis of the UK's
post-war welfare state. Though he lost his own seat,
running as a Liberal, in 1945, the newly-elected Labour
government largely implemented the program he had set out.

C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/econ-C2.jpg

This media-friendly left-leaning Canadian economist worked
for the Centre for Policy Alternatives for several years,
until 2017. She now holds a fellowship with the Atkinson
Foundation and researches workers and technology. She is
a frequent contributor to the "Toronto Star" and the CBC.

* D. Canadiana: A Year Ending in 0

D1. In a certain year ending in 0, Britain ceded control of
the Arctic Archipelago to Canada, and Edward (Ned) Hanlan
became the first Canadian world champion in any sport,
which, of course, was rowing. What year was it?

D2. In another year ending in 0, the oldest Canadian company
still existing was founded. Its original name was rather
long and included the words "Adventurers of England". If you
go to what is now the company's main building in Toronto,
you will see several signs mentioning the date of founding.
What year was it?

* E. British Historians

In each case, name them.

E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/hist-E1.jpg

This Briton, born in 1948, spent most of his career at New
York University. He was known for his writings on modern
European history, including "Postwar", concerning Europe
after 1945. He died of ALS in 2010.

E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/hist-E2.jpg

This British historian trained in medieval history, but in
the 1970s turned his attention toward Nazi Germany, and is
now known particularly for his biographies of Adolf Hitler.
He promoted the "working toward the Führer" concept, which
suggested that, rather than by direct orders from the top,
the Third Reich operated mostly by officials implementing
policies that the leader would approve of.

* F. Colonial Powers

F1. In Africa, which country colonized what are now Benin
and Mali?

F2. Which country colonized what is now Angola, in Africa,
as well as Macau, which is now part of China?

--
Mark Brader | "In the land of truth, my friend,
Toronto | the man with one fact is king."

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, history

<a0da9ed7-48ca-4b85-a1f2-0d2cb007449bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5963&group=rec.games.trivia#5963

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 21:28:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, history
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 05:28 UTC

On Saturday, February 3, 2024 at 11:07:32 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Literature
>
> * A. More Italian Literature
>
> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A2.jpg
>
> Who was the controversial poet, playwright, journalist,
> and movie director whose first novel, "Hustlers", was
> published in 1955? One of his best-known films is "The
> Gospel According to St. Matthew". He died in violent and
> never-explained circumstances in 1975.

Pasolini

> * B. If You See It in the ""Sun""
>
> There have been a number of newspapers called the "Sun", but these
> questions are about the very popular one that started in New York
> City in 1833 and was published until 1950.
>
> B1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B1.jpg
>
> In 1897 the "Sun" received a letter reading in part, "Papa
> says 'If you see it in the Sun, it's so'". What question
> did the writer want answered?

Is there a Santa Claus?

> B2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B2.jpg
>
> In 1835 the "Sun" ran a series of 6 articles detailing
> discoveries supposely made by Sir John Herschel using a
> new telescope. What did they say he had discovered?

canals on Mars; life on the moon

> * C. Daylight and Darkness and Newspapers
>
> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C1.jpg
>
> Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
> motto is "Democracy Dies in Darkness"?

Washington, D.C.

> C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C2.jpg
>
> Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
> motto is "Fair Play and Daylight"?

Dublin; Canberra

> * D. More Travel Writing
>
> D2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D2.jpg
>
> "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" is Dame Rebecca West's
> over-1,000-page account of a trip to which country in 1937?
> The country no longer exists.

Soviet Union

> * E. Isaac Asimov
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E1.jpg
>
> Isaac Asimov's ["AZ-im-ov'z"] best-known works include his
> short stories and novels about robots. When he started
> writing them, other writers often produced stories where
> robots ran amok. Asimov decided it would be more interesting
> to write about robots with built-in ethical principles --
> principles that he called what?

Three Laws of Robotics

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E2.jpg
>
> What fictional technology did Asimov's robots use to
> accomplish reasoning? On "Star Trek: The Next Generation",
> Commander Data used the same technology.

positronics

> * F. Authors by European Background
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F1.jpg
>
> This German-speaking Bohemian author worked for many years
> in the insurance business in his hometown of Prague.
> The protagonists in his novels and short stories often
> face weird or surrealistic quandaries and incomprehensible
> entanglements with bureaucracy. He died in 1924 from
> tuberculosis.

Kafka

> F2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F2.jpg
>
> This Polish author had to learn English fluently in order
> to fit into the genteel British environment he eventually
> found himself in -- and became one of the most esteemed
> writers in English literature. His most famous work was
> inspired by a time years before, when he lived in Africa
> and served on a steamer going up and down the Congo River.

Conrad

> ** Final, Round 8 - History
>
> * A. The Ones Before
>
> A1. Before the US adopted its constitution in 1789, there were
> 14 presidents of the Continental Congress. Name *any one*.

John Hancock

> A2. Before the Norman conquest under William I in 1066, there
> were 19 men who are sometimes considered kings of England.
> Name *any one*; his first name will be sufficient.

Edward

6

> B2. The United Nations now has 193 member countries. Within 5,
> how many member countries were there when it was formed
> in 1945?

51
> * C. More Economists
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/econ-C1.jpg
>
> This British economist and politician developed a series
> of proposals in 1942 that formed the basis of the UK's
> post-war welfare state. Though he lost his own seat,
> running as a Liberal, in 1945, the newly-elected Labour
> government largely implemented the program he had set out.

Keynes

> * D. Canadiana: A Year Ending in 0
>
> D1. In a certain year ending in 0, Britain ceded control of
> the Arctic Archipelago to Canada, and Edward (Ned) Hanlan
> became the first Canadian world champion in any sport,
> which, of course, was rowing. What year was it?

1880; 1890
> D2. In another year ending in 0, the oldest Canadian company
> still existing was founded. Its original name was rather
> long and included the words "Adventurers of England". If you
> go to what is now the company's main building in Toronto,
> you will see several signs mentioning the date of founding.
> What year was it?

1640; 1650

> * F. Colonial Powers
>
> F1. In Africa, which country colonized what are now Benin
> and Mali?

France
> F2. Which country colonized what is now Angola, in Africa,
> as well as Macau, which is now part of China?

Portugal

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, history

<XnsB10E7AE384B35Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5964&group=rec.games.trivia#5964

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 12:04:49 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 11:04 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> D2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D2.jpg
>
> "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" is Dame Rebecca West's
> over-1,000-page account of a trip to which country in 1937?
> The country no longer exists.

Tuva (The only country that existed in 1937 but does not exist now
that I can think of on the top of my head. Seems like an unlikely answer,
though.)
> * E. Isaac Asimov
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E1.jpg
>
> Isaac Asimov's ["AZ-im-ov'z"] best-known works include his
> short stories and novels about robots. When he started
> writing them, other writers often produced stories where
> robots ran amok. Asimov decided it would be more interesting
> to write about robots with built-in ethical principles --
> principles that he called what?

Robotics
> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E2.jpg
>
> What fictional technology did Asimov's robots use to
> accomplish reasoning? On "Star Trek: The Next Generation",
> Commander Data used the same technology.

Positron brains
> * F. Authors by European Background
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F1.jpg
>
> This German-speaking Bohemian author worked for many years
> in the insurance business in his hometown of Prague.
> The protagonists in his novels and short stories often
> face weird or surrealistic quandaries and incomprehensible
> entanglements with bureaucracy. He died in 1924 from
> tuberculosis.

Franz Kafka
> ** Final, Round 8 - History
>
> * A. The Ones Before
>
> A2. Before the Norman conquest under William I in 1066, there
> were 19 men who are sometimes considered kings of England.
> Name *any one*; his first name will be sufficient.

Edward the Confessor
> * B. International Organizations Formed
>
> B1. The European Union now has 27 member countries. Within 1,
> in 1957, how many countries formed what was then called
> the European Common Market?

Six
> B2. The United Nations now has 193 member countries. Within 5,
> how many member countries were there when it was formed
> in 1945?

75
> * C. More Economists
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/econ-C1.jpg
>
> This British economist and politician developed a series
> of proposals in 1942 that formed the basis of the UK's
> post-war welfare state. Though he lost his own seat,
> running as a Liberal, in 1945, the newly-elected Labour
> government largely implemented the program he had set out.

Keyens
> * F. Colonial Powers
>
> F1. In Africa, which country colonized what are now Benin
> and Mali?

France
> F2. Which country colonized what is now Angola, in Africa,
> as well as Macau, which is now part of China?

Portugal

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, history

<upo84n$3mjjn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5965&group=rec.games.trivia#5965

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 06:48:52 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:48 UTC

On 2/3/24 21:07, Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote 6 of the 12 pairs in this set.
>

> ** Final, Round 7 - Literature
>
> * A. More Italian Literature
>
> A1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A1.jpg
>
> This Italian was born in Cuba but moved with his family
> to Italy as a child. He initially wrote in a realist
> or neorealist style with such works as "The Crow Comes
> Last", which dealt with his experiences in World War II.
> His later work was influenced by more experimental writers
> such as Roland Barthes. Name him.
>
> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A2.jpg
>
> Who was the controversial poet, playwright, journalist,
> and movie director whose first novel, "Hustlers", was
> published in 1955? One of his best-known films is "The
> Gospel According to St. Matthew". He died in violent and
> never-explained circumstances in 1975.
>

> * B. If You See It in the ""Sun""
>
> There have been a number of newspapers called the "Sun", but these
> questions are about the very popular one that started in New York
> City in 1833 and was published until 1950.
>
> B1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B1.jpg
>
> In 1897 the "Sun" received a letter reading in part, "Papa
> says 'If you see it in the Sun, it's so'". What question
> did the writer want answered?

Is there a Santa Claus?

> B2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B2.jpg
>
> In 1835 the "Sun" ran a series of 6 articles detailing
> discoveries supposely made by Sir John Herschel using a
> new telescope. What did they say he had discovered?

life on the Moon

> * C. Daylight and Darkness and Newspapers
>
> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C1.jpg
>
> Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
> motto is "Democracy Dies in Darkness"?

Washington DC

> C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C2.jpg
>
> Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
> motto is "Fair Play and Daylight"?

Canberra, Australia

> * D. More Travel Writing
>
> D1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D1.jpg
>
> This British-born author of South Asian descent has spent
> much of his adult life in the US and Japan as well as the
> UK, and is a long-time friend of the Dalai Lama. His travel
> writings look at a variety of countries from an outsider or
> cross-cultural perspective. He even wrote about Canada,
> of all places. One of his best-known books is 2001's
> "The Global Soul", a meditation on cultural globalization.
> Name him.
>
> D2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D2.jpg
>
> "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" is Dame Rebecca West's
> over-1,000-page account of a trip to which country in 1937?
> The country no longer exists.
>

> * E. Isaac Asimov
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E1.jpg
>
> Isaac Asimov's ["AZ-im-ov'z"] best-known works include his
> short stories and novels about robots. When he started
> writing them, other writers often produced stories where
> robots ran amok. Asimov decided it would be more interesting
> to write about robots with built-in ethical principles --
> principles that he called what?

three laws of robotics

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E2.jpg
>
> What fictional technology did Asimov's robots use to
> accomplish reasoning? On "Star Trek: The Next Generation",
> Commander Data used the same technology.

positronic brain

> * F. Authors by European Background
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F1.jpg
>
> This German-speaking Bohemian author worked for many years
> in the insurance business in his hometown of Prague.
> The protagonists in his novels and short stories often
> face weird or surrealistic quandaries and incomprehensible
> entanglements with bureaucracy. He died in 1924 from
> tuberculosis.
>
> F2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F2.jpg
>
> This Polish author had to learn English fluently in order
> to fit into the genteel British environment he eventually
> found himself in -- and became one of the most esteemed
> writers in English literature. His most famous work was
> inspired by a time years before, when he lived in Africa
> and served on a steamer going up and down the Congo River.

Joseph Conrad

> ** Final, Round 8 - History
>
> * A. The Ones Before
>
> A1. Before the US adopted its constitution in 1789, there were
> 14 presidents of the Continental Congress. Name *any one*.

Patrick Henry

6

> B2. The United Nations now has 193 member countries. Within 5,
> how many member countries were there when it was formed
> in 1945?

50

> * C. More Economists
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/econ-C1.jpg
>
> This British economist and politician developed a series
> of proposals in 1942 that formed the basis of the UK's
> post-war welfare state. Though he lost his own seat,
> running as a Liberal, in 1945, the newly-elected Labour
> government largely implemented the program he had set out.
>
> C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/econ-C2.jpg
>
> This media-friendly left-leaning Canadian economist worked
> for the Centre for Policy Alternatives for several years,
> until 2017. She now holds a fellowship with the Atkinson
> Foundation and researches workers and technology. She is
> a frequent contributor to the "Toronto Star" and the CBC.
>

> * D. Canadiana: A Year Ending in 0
>
> D1. In a certain year ending in 0, Britain ceded control of
> the Arctic Archipelago to Canada, and Edward (Ned) Hanlan
> became the first Canadian world champion in any sport,
> which, of course, was rowing. What year was it?

1930

> D2. In another year ending in 0, the oldest Canadian company
> still existing was founded. Its original name was rather
> long and included the words "Adventurers of England". If you
> go to what is now the company's main building in Toronto,
> you will see several signs mentioning the date of founding.
> What year was it?

1810

> * E. British Historians
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/hist-E1.jpg
>
> This Briton, born in 1948, spent most of his career at New
> York University. He was known for his writings on modern
> European history, including "Postwar", concerning Europe
> after 1945. He died of ALS in 2010.
>
> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/hist-E2.jpg
>
> This British historian trained in medieval history, but in
> the 1970s turned his attention toward Nazi Germany, and is
> now known particularly for his biographies of Adolf Hitler.
> He promoted the "working toward the Führer" concept, which
> suggested that, rather than by direct orders from the top,
> the Third Reich operated mostly by officials implementing
> policies that the leader would approve of.
>

> * F. Colonial Powers
>
> F1. In Africa, which country colonized what are now Benin
> and Mali?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, history

<upoc32$oqr$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5966&group=rec.games.trivia#5966

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 15:56:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 15:56 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Literature

> * A. More Italian Literature

> A1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A1.jpg

> This Italian was born in Cuba but moved with his family
> to Italy as a child. He initially wrote in a realist
> or neorealist style with such works as "The Crow Comes
> Last", which dealt with his experiences in World War II.
> His later work was influenced by more experimental writers
> such as Roland Barthes. Name him.

Italo Calvino

> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A2.jpg

> Who was the controversial poet, playwright, journalist,
> and movie director whose first novel, "Hustlers", was
> published in 1955? One of his best-known films is "The
> Gospel According to St. Matthew". He died in violent and
> never-explained circumstances in 1975.

Antonioni

> * B. If You See It in the ""Sun""

> B1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B1.jpg

> In 1897 the "Sun" received a letter reading in part, "Papa
> says 'If you see it in the Sun, it's so'". What question
> did the writer want answered?

"Is there a Santa Claus?"

> B2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B2.jpg

> In 1835 the "Sun" ran a series of 6 articles detailing
> discoveries supposely made by Sir John Herschel using a
> new telescope. What did they say he had discovered?

life on the Moon

> * C. Daylight and Darkness and Newspapers

> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C1.jpg

> Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
> motto is "Democracy Dies in Darkness"?

Washington, DC

> C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C2.jpg

> Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
> motto is "Fair Play and Daylight"?

Ottawa

> * D. More Travel Writing

> D2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D2.jpg

> "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" is Dame Rebecca West's
> over-1,000-page account of a trip to which country in 1937?
> The country no longer exists.

Yugoslavia

> * E. Isaac Asimov

> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E1.jpg

> Isaac Asimov's ["AZ-im-ov'z"] best-known works include his
> short stories and novels about robots. When he started
> writing them, other writers often produced stories where
> robots ran amok. Asimov decided it would be more interesting
> to write about robots with built-in ethical principles --
> principles that he called what?

Three Laws of Robotics

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E2.jpg

> What fictional technology did Asimov's robots use to
> accomplish reasoning? On "Star Trek: The Next Generation",
> Commander Data used the same technology.

positronic brain

> * F. Authors by European Background

> In each case, name them.

> F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F1.jpg

> This German-speaking Bohemian author worked for many years
> in the insurance business in his hometown of Prague.
> The protagonists in his novels and short stories often
> face weird or surrealistic quandaries and incomprehensible
> entanglements with bureaucracy. He died in 1924 from
> tuberculosis.

Kafka

> F2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F2.jpg

> This Polish author had to learn English fluently in order
> to fit into the genteel British environment he eventually
> found himself in -- and became one of the most esteemed
> writers in English literature. His most famous work was
> inspired by a time years before, when he lived in Africa
> and served on a steamer going up and down the Congo River.

Conrad

> ** Final, Round 8 - History

> * A. The Ones Before

> A1. Before the US adopted its constitution in 1789, there were
> 14 presidents of the Continental Congress. Name *any one*.

James Madison

> A2. Before the Norman conquest under William I in 1066, there
> were 19 men who are sometimes considered kings of England.
> Name *any one*; his first name will be sufficient.

Harold

8

> B2. The United Nations now has 193 member countries. Within 5,
> how many member countries were there when it was formed
> in 1945?

52

> * C. More Economists

> In each case, name them.

> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/econ-C1.jpg

> This British economist and politician developed a series
> of proposals in 1942 that formed the basis of the UK's
> post-war welfare state. Though he lost his own seat,
> running as a Liberal, in 1945, the newly-elected Labour
> government largely implemented the program he had set out.

Keynes

> * D. Canadiana: A Year Ending in 0

> D1. In a certain year ending in 0, Britain ceded control of
> the Arctic Archipelago to Canada, and Edward (Ned) Hanlan
> became the first Canadian world champion in any sport,
> which, of course, was rowing. What year was it?

1890; 1900

> D2. In another year ending in 0, the oldest Canadian company
> still existing was founded. Its original name was rather
> long and included the words "Adventurers of England". If you
> go to what is now the company's main building in Toronto,
> you will see several signs mentioning the date of founding.
> What year was it?

1760; 1780

> * F. Colonial Powers

> F1. In Africa, which country colonized what are now Benin
> and Mali?

France

> F2. Which country colonized what is now Angola, in Africa,
> as well as Macau, which is now part of China?

Portugal

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, history

<upp4pd$3skkb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5967&group=rec.games.trivia#5967

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:57:48 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:57 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 6 of the 12 pairs in this set.
>

> ** Final, Round 7 - Literature
>
> * A. More Italian Literature
>
> A1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A1.jpg
>
> This Italian was born in Cuba but moved with his family
> to Italy as a child. He initially wrote in a realist
> or neorealist style with such works as "The Crow Comes
> Last", which dealt with his experiences in World War II.
> His later work was influenced by more experimental writers
> such as Roland Barthes. Name him.
>
> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A2.jpg
>
> Who was the controversial poet, playwright, journalist,
> and movie director whose first novel, "Hustlers", was
> published in 1955? One of his best-known films is "The
> Gospel According to St. Matthew". He died in violent and
> never-explained circumstances in 1975.
>

> * B. If You See It in the ""Sun""
>
> There have been a number of newspapers called the "Sun", but these
> questions are about the very popular one that started in New York
> City in 1833 and was published until 1950.
>
> B1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B1.jpg
>
> In 1897 the "Sun" received a letter reading in part, "Papa
> says 'If you see it in the Sun, it's so'". What question
> did the writer want answered?

Is Santa Claus real?

> B2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B2.jpg
>
> In 1835 the "Sun" ran a series of 6 articles detailing
> discoveries supposely made by Sir John Herschel using a
> new telescope. What did they say he had discovered?

Planets

> * C. Daylight and Darkness and Newspapers
>
> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C1.jpg
>
> Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
> motto is "Democracy Dies in Darkness"?

Washington, DC

> C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C2.jpg
>
> Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
> motto is "Fair Play and Daylight"?

London, England

> * D. More Travel Writing
>
> D1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D1.jpg
>
> This British-born author of South Asian descent has spent
> much of his adult life in the US and Japan as well as the
> UK, and is a long-time friend of the Dalai Lama. His travel
> writings look at a variety of countries from an outsider or
> cross-cultural perspective. He even wrote about Canada,
> of all places. One of his best-known books is 2001's
> "The Global Soul", a meditation on cultural globalization.
> Name him.
>
> D2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D2.jpg
>
> "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" is Dame Rebecca West's
> over-1,000-page account of a trip to which country in 1937?
> The country no longer exists.
>

> * E. Isaac Asimov
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E1.jpg
>
> Isaac Asimov's ["AZ-im-ov'z"] best-known works include his
> short stories and novels about robots. When he started
> writing them, other writers often produced stories where
> robots ran amok. Asimov decided it would be more interesting
> to write about robots with built-in ethical principles --
> principles that he called what?

3 laws of robotics

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E2.jpg
>
> What fictional technology did Asimov's robots use to
> accomplish reasoning? On "Star Trek: The Next Generation",
> Commander Data used the same technology.

Artificial Intelligence

> * F. Authors by European Background
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F1.jpg
>
> This German-speaking Bohemian author worked for many years
> in the insurance business in his hometown of Prague.
> The protagonists in his novels and short stories often
> face weird or surrealistic quandaries and incomprehensible
> entanglements with bureaucracy. He died in 1924 from
> tuberculosis.
>
> F2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F2.jpg
>
> This Polish author had to learn English fluently in order
> to fit into the genteel British environment he eventually
> found himself in -- and became one of the most esteemed
> writers in English literature. His most famous work was
> inspired by a time years before, when he lived in Africa
> and served on a steamer going up and down the Congo River.
>

> ** Final, Round 8 - History
>
> * A. The Ones Before
>
> A1. Before the US adopted its constitution in 1789, there were
> 14 presidents of the Continental Congress. Name *any one*.

John Adams

> A2. Before the Norman conquest under William I in 1066, there
> were 19 men who are sometimes considered kings of England.
> Name *any one*; his first name will be sufficient.

Eldred; Henry

> * B. International Organizations Formed
>
> B1. The European Union now has 27 member countries. Within 1,
> in 1957, how many countries formed what was then called
> the European Common Market?

12; 15

> B2. The United Nations now has 193 member countries. Within 5,
> how many member countries were there when it was formed
> in 1945?

100; 106

> * C. More Economists
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/econ-C1.jpg
>
> This British economist and politician developed a series
> of proposals in 1942 that formed the basis of the UK's
> post-war welfare state. Though he lost his own seat,
> running as a Liberal, in 1945, the newly-elected Labour
> government largely implemented the program he had set out.
>
> C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/econ-C2.jpg
>
> This media-friendly left-leaning Canadian economist worked
> for the Centre for Policy Alternatives for several years,
> until 2017. She now holds a fellowship with the Atkinson
> Foundation and researches workers and technology. She is
> a frequent contributor to the "Toronto Star" and the CBC.
>

> * D. Canadiana: A Year Ending in 0
>
> D1. In a certain year ending in 0, Britain ceded control of
> the Arctic Archipelago to Canada, and Edward (Ned) Hanlan
> became the first Canadian world champion in any sport,
> which, of course, was rowing. What year was it?

1920; 1910

> D2. In another year ending in 0, the oldest Canadian company
> still existing was founded. Its original name was rather
> long and included the words "Adventurers of England". If you
> go to what is now the company's main building in Toronto,
> you will see several signs mentioning the date of founding.
> What year was it?

1840; 1850

> * E. British Historians
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/hist-E1.jpg
>
> This Briton, born in 1948, spent most of his career at New
> York University. He was known for his writings on modern
> European history, including "Postwar", concerning Europe
> after 1945. He died of ALS in 2010.
>
> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/hist-E2.jpg
>
> This British historian trained in medieval history, but in
> the 1970s turned his attention toward Nazi Germany, and is
> now known particularly for his biographies of Adolf Hitler.
> He promoted the "working toward the Führer" concept, which
> suggested that, rather than by direct orders from the top,
> the Third Reich operated mostly by officials implementing
> policies that the leader would approve of.
>

> * F. Colonial Powers
>
> F1. In Africa, which country colonized what are now Benin
> and Mali?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8: literature, history

<757a676d-b6fc-4a7f-8d1d-4cadbe17fd7en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5968&group=rec.games.trivia#5968

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:06:29 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 00:06 UTC

On Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 12:07:32 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 6 of the 12 pairs in this set.
>

> ** Final, Round 7 - Literature
>
> * A. More Italian Literature
>
> A1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A1.jpg
>
> This Italian was born in Cuba but moved with his family
> to Italy as a child. He initially wrote in a realist
> or neorealist style with such works as "The Crow Comes
> Last", which dealt with his experiences in World War II.
> His later work was influenced by more experimental writers
> such as Roland Barthes. Name him.

italo calvino

> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A2.jpg
>
> Who was the controversial poet, playwright, journalist,
> and movie director whose first novel, "Hustlers", was
> published in 1955? One of his best-known films is "The
> Gospel According to St. Matthew". He died in violent and
> never-explained circumstances in 1975.

passolini

> * B. If You See It in the ""Sun""
>
> There have been a number of newspapers called the "Sun", but these
> questions are about the very popular one that started in New York
> City in 1833 and was published until 1950.
>
> B1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B1.jpg
>
> In 1897 the "Sun" received a letter reading in part, "Papa
> says 'If you see it in the Sun, it's so'". What question
> did the writer want answered?

is there a santa claus? [yes, virginia, there is a santa claus]

> B2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B2.jpg
>
> In 1835 the "Sun" ran a series of 6 articles detailing
> discoveries supposedly made by Sir John Herschel using a
> new telescope. What did they say he had discovered?

life on the moon

> * C. Daylight and Darkness and Newspapers
>
> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C1.jpg
>
> Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
> motto is "Democracy Dies in Darkness"?

washington, dc

> C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C2.jpg
>
> Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
> motto is "Fair Play and Daylight"?

ottawa?

> * D. More Travel Writing
>
> D1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D1.jpg
>
> This British-born author of South Asian descent has spent
> much of his adult life in the US and Japan as well as the
> UK, and is a long-time friend of the Dalai Lama. His travel
> writings look at a variety of countries from an outsider or
> cross-cultural perspective. He even wrote about Canada,
> of all places. One of his best-known books is 2001's
> "The Global Soul", a meditation on cultural globalization.
> Name him.

pico iyer

> D2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D2.jpg
>
> "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" is Dame Rebecca West's
> over-1,000-page account of a trip to which country in 1937?
> The country no longer exists.

yugoslavia

> * E. Isaac Asimov
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E1.jpg
>
> Isaac Asimov's ["AZ-im-ov'z"] best-known works include his
> short stories and novels about robots. When he started
> writing them, other writers often produced stories where
> robots ran amok. Asimov decided it would be more interesting
> to write about robots with built-in ethical principles --
> principles that he called what?

the three laws of robotics

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E2.jpg
>
> What fictional technology did Asimov's robots use to
> accomplish reasoning? On "Star Trek: The Next Generation",
> Commander Data used the same technology.

positronic brain

> * F. Authors by European Background
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F1.jpg
>
> This German-speaking Bohemian author worked for many years
> in the insurance business in his hometown of Prague.
> The protagonists in his novels and short stories often
> face weird or surrealistic quandaries and incomprehensible
> entanglements with bureaucracy. He died in 1924 from
> tuberculosis.

franz kafka

> F2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F2.jpg
>
> This Polish author had to learn English fluently in order
> to fit into the genteel British environment he eventually
> found himself in -- and became one of the most esteemed
> writers in English literature. His most famous work was
> inspired by a time years before, when he lived in Africa
> and served on a steamer going up and down the Congo River.

conrad?

> ** Final, Round 8 - History
>
> * A. The Ones Before
>
> A1. Before the US adopted its constitution in 1789, there were
> 14 presidents of the Continental Congress. Name *any one*.

john hancock

> A2. Before the Norman conquest under William I in 1066, there
> were 19 men who are sometimes considered kings of England.
> Name *any one*; his first name will be sufficient.

alfred [I suppose king arthur would not count here?]

> * B. International Organizations Formed
>
> B1. The European Union now has 27 member countries. Within 1,
> in 1957, how many countries formed what was then called
> the European Common Market?

six

> B2. The United Nations now has 193 member countries. Within 5,
> how many member countries were there when it was formed
> in 1945?

fifty?

> * C. More Economists
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/econ-C1.jpg
>
> This British economist and politician developed a series
> of proposals in 1942 that formed the basis of the UK's
> post-war welfare state. Though he lost his own seat,
> running as a Liberal, in 1945, the newly-elected Labour
> government largely implemented the program he had set out.

beveridge?

> C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/econ-C2.jpg
>
> This media-friendly left-leaning Canadian economist worked
> for the Centre for Policy Alternatives for several years,
> until 2017. She now holds a fellowship with the Atkinson
> Foundation and researches workers and technology. She is
> a frequent contributor to the "Toronto Star" and the CBC.

mackenzie

> * D. Canadiana: A Year Ending in 0
>
> D1. In a certain year ending in 0, Britain ceded control of
> the Arctic Archipelago to Canada, and Edward (Ned) Hanlan
> became the first Canadian world champion in any sport,
> which, of course, was rowing. What year was it?

1880

> D2. In another year ending in 0, the oldest Canadian company
> still existing was founded. Its original name was rather
> long and included the words "Adventurers of England". If you
> go to what is now the company's main building in Toronto,
> you will see several signs mentioning the date of founding.
> What year was it?

[the hudson bay company] ... 1670?

> * E. British Historians
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/hist-E1.jpg
>
> This Briton, born in 1948, spent most of his career at New
> York University. He was known for his writings on modern
> European history, including "Postwar", concerning Europe
> after 1945. He died of ALS in 2010.

johnson ; africa

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/hist-E2.jpg
>
> This British historian trained in medieval history, but in
> the 1970s turned his attention toward Nazi Germany, and is
> now known particularly for his biographies of Adolf Hitler.
> He promoted the "working toward the Führer" concept, which
> suggested that, rather than by direct orders from the top,
> the Third Reich operated mostly by officials implementing
> policies that the leader would approve of.

Click here to read the complete article
QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8 answers: literature, history

<9kudnQZaKqjsvF74nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5976&group=rec.games.trivia#5976

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8 answers: literature, history
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 06:21:37 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 06:21 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote 6 of the 12 pairs in this set.

In Round 7, I wrote pairs B, C, and E; in Round 8, pairs A, B, and D.

> ** Final, Round 7 - Literature

In the original game, the current-events round was the easiest and
this one was next-easiest.

> * A. More Italian Literature

> A1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A1.jpg

> This Italian was born in Cuba but moved with his family
> to Italy as a child. He initially wrote in a realist
> or neorealist style with such works as "The Crow Comes
> Last", which dealt with his experiences in World War II.
> His later work was influenced by more experimental writers
> such as Roland Barthes. Name him.

Italo Calvino. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> A2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/ital-A2.jpg

> Who was the controversial poet, playwright, journalist,
> and movie director whose first novel, "Hustlers", was
> published in 1955? One of his best-known films is "The
> Gospel According to St. Matthew". He died in violent and
> never-explained circumstances in 1975.

Pier Paolo Pasolini. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> * B. If You See It in the ""Sun""

> There have been a number of newspapers called the "Sun", but these
> questions are about the very popular one that started in New York
> City in 1833 and was published until 1950.

> B1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B1.jpg

> In 1897 the "Sun" received a letter reading in part, "Papa
> says 'If you see it in the Sun, it's so'". What question
> did the writer want answered?

Is there a Santa Claus? (Anything along these lines is fine.)
4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete, and Stephen.

> B2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/sun-B2.jpg

> In 1835 the "Sun" ran a series of 6 articles detailing
> discoveries supposely made by Sir John Herschel using a
> new telescope. What did they say he had discovered?

People living on the Moon. (Also plants, animals, colossal buildings,
etc. Anything along these lines is fine.) 4 for Dan Tilque,
Dan Blum, and Stephen. 2 for Joshua.

> * C. Daylight and Darkness and Newspapers

> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C1.jpg

> Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
> motto is "Democracy Dies in Darkness"?

Washington. (The "Post".) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Pete, and Stephen.

> C2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/dark-C2.jpg

> Which national capital city has a daily newspaper whose
> motto is "Fair Play and Daylight"?

Ottawa. (The "Citizen".) 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> * D. More Travel Writing

> D1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D1.jpg

> This British-born author of South Asian descent has spent
> much of his adult life in the US and Japan as well as the
> UK, and is a long-time friend of the Dalai Lama. His travel
> writings look at a variety of countries from an outsider or
> cross-cultural perspective. He even wrote about Canada,
> of all places. One of his best-known books is 2001's
> "The Global Soul", a meditation on cultural globalization.
> Name him.

Pico Iyer. 4 for Stephen.

> D2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/trav-D2.jpg

> "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" is Dame Rebecca West's
> over-1,000-page account of a trip to which country in 1937?
> The country no longer exists.

Yugoslavia. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> * E. Isaac Asimov

> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E1.jpg

> Isaac Asimov's ["AZ-im-ov'z"] best-known works include his
> short stories and novels about robots. When he started
> writing them, other writers often produced stories where
> robots ran amok. Asimov decided it would be more interesting
> to write about robots with built-in ethical principles --
> principles that he called what?

The Three Laws of Robotics. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Pete, and Stephen.

Fun fact: at the time, he thought "robotics" was an existing word.
Thanks to his stories, now it is. But not a sufficiently specific
answer for this question by itself.

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/asim-E2.jpg

> What fictional technology did Asimov's robots use to
> accomplish reasoning? On "Star Trek: The Next Generation",
> Commander Data used the same technology.

Positronic brain. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

Fun facts:

The top photo is from the 2004 movie "I, Robot". That title was
taken from a well-known book collection of a number of Asimov's robot
stories, but the movie's plot was not derived from any of them;
indeed, part of the movie involves robots running amok, although
this is eventually worked into a Three Laws of Robotics context.

In any case the title of the book was not Asimov's in the first place;
it was chosen by the publisher over his objections, as it had been
previously used for yet another unrelated story, by Eando Binder.
By the time the movie appeared, Binder's story had been adapted
twice into episodes of different versions of "The Outer Limits".

> * F. Authors by European Background

> In each case, name them.

> F1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F1.jpg

> This German-speaking Bohemian author worked for many years
> in the insurance business in his hometown of Prague.
> The protagonists in his novels and short stories often
> face weird or surrealistic quandaries and incomprehensible
> entanglements with bureaucracy. He died in 1924 from
> tuberculosis.

Franz Kafka. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> F2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr7/back-F2.jpg

> This Polish author had to learn English fluently in order
> to fit into the genteel British environment he eventually
> found himself in -- and became one of the most esteemed
> writers in English literature. His most famous work was
> inspired by a time years before, when he lived in Africa
> and served on a steamer going up and down the Congo River.

Joseph Conrad. ("Heart of Darkness".) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> ** Final, Round 8 - History

> * A. The Ones Before

> A1. Before the US adopted its constitution in 1789, there were
> 14 presidents of the Continental Congress. Name *any one*.

Elias Boudinot (1782-83), Nathaniel Gorham (1786-87), Cyrus Griffin
(1788), John Hancock (1775-77 and 1785-86), John Hanson (1781-82),
Samuel Huntington (1779-81), John Jay (1778-79), Henry Laurens
(1777-78), Richard Henry Lee (1784-85), Thomas McKean (1781),
Henry Middleton (1774), Thomas Mifflin (1783-84), Peyton Randolph
(1774 and 1775), Arthur St. Clair (1787). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> A2. Before the Norman conquest under William I in 1066, there
> were 19 men who are sometimes considered kings of England.
> Name *any one*; his first name will be sufficient.

Æthelbald [pronounce Æ like E] (ruled 858-60), Æthelbert (860-66),
Æthelred (I, 866-71; II or the Unready, 978-1016), Æthelwulf (839-58),
Alfred the Great (871-99), Athelstan (924-39), Canute (1016-35),
Eadred (946-55), Eadwig (955-59), Edgar (959-75), Edmund (939-46),
Edward (the Confessor, 1042-66; the Martyr, 975-78; the Elder,
899-924), Egbert (827-39), Harold (I, 1035-40; II, 1066), Harthacanute
(1040-42). 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
2 for Pete.

> * B. International Organizations Formed

> B1. The European Union now has 27 member countries. Within 1,
> in 1957, how many countries formed what was then called
> the European Common Market?

6 (accepting 5-7). 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> B2. The United Nations now has 193 member countries. Within 5,
> how many member countries were there when it was formed
> in 1945?

50 (accepting 45-55). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> * C. More Economists

> In each case, name them.

> C1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr8/econ-C1.jpg

> This British economist and politician developed a series
> of proposals in 1942 that formed the basis of the UK's
> post-war welfare state. Though he lost his own seat,
> running as a Liberal, in 1945, the newly-elected Labour
> government largely implemented the program he had set out.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8 answers: literature, history

<XnsB111D648B7369Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5979&group=rec.games.trivia#5979

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 21:03:53 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 20:03 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Edward (the Confessor, 1042-66; the Martyr, 975-78; the Elder,
> 899-924),

So with Roman numerals, the latter would be Edward -III?

Anyone knows about the funny numbering of the Edwards? Was 1066 a
total reset?

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 7-8 answers: literature, history

<uq106r$rlv$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5981&group=rec.games.trivia#5981

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 22:28:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 22:28 UTC

Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote:
> Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> > Edward (the Confessor, 1042-66; the Martyr, 975-78; the Elder,
> > 899-924),

> So with Roman numerals, the latter would be Edward -III?

> Anyone knows about the funny numbering of the Edwards? Was 1066 a
> total reset?

Yes. The Normans were like that.

Dan Blum tool@panix.com