Chess tonight.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2Mark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2swp
+* Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2Erland Sommarskog
|`- Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2Mark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2Dan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2Joshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2Pete Gayde
+- QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2 answersMark Brader
`* Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2Dan Tilque
 `- Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2Mark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2

<6becnYcOXNWWVVz4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5969&group=rec.games.trivia#5969

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 05:47:55 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 05:47 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 1 (2024-01-29), Round 1 - Current Events

1. The Oilers beat the Flames 3-1 last week. They broke a record
for a Canadian NHL team that had stood since Montreal set it
in the 1967-68 season. What did they break the record for?

2. Nick Dunlap won the American Express PGA golf tournament last
week but did not get the $1,500,000 prize. Why not?

3. Whose bust was unveiled at Queen's Park?

4. Art seems to come and go at the legislature. Why was the
painting "Salmon Life Giving Spawn" *removed* from Queen's Park?

5. What Canadian filmmaker died last week at age 97?

6. Name the Canadian who was nominated for the Best Supporting
Actor Oscar.

7. At the Telus Centre in Calgary, in front of 4,000 people,
Danielle Smith had a sit-down with what controversial media
personality?

8. Which state hosted both the Democratic and Republican primaries
last week?

9. In a blow to international shipping, the Panama Canal is
drastically reducing the number of ships that can pass through.
Why?

10. Which country is receiving the first-ever vaccine against
malaria?

* Game 2 (2024-02-05), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Justice Marie-Josée Hogue was in the news last week. What is
the subject of the investigation she is leading?

2. Five professional hockey players from Canada's 2018 world
junior hockey team turned themselves in last week to face charges
of sexual assault. In *what city* will the trial take place?

3. Turning to the obits, this Puerto Rican dancer/singer/actress,
whose breakthrough came as the original Anita in "West Side
Story", died Tuesday. Name her.

4. This actor, famous for his role as Apollo Creed in the "Rocky"
franchise, also played linebacker for two seasons for the
BC Lions. He died on Thursday. Name him.

5. Saturday saw the passing at the age of 86, at his home in
Switzerland, of Vitorio Emmanuele di Savoia. *What title*
was Vitorio Emmanuele's *father* the last to hold?

6. Last Monday a judge ordered the liquidation of Evergrande.
The development company is $300,000,000,000 in debt. In *what
country* did Evergrande have its operations?

7. This Toronto furniture store announced plans to convert 430 acres
of land it owns on the edge of the city into a residential zone
with 4,000 new homes. That's one way to generate buyers for
its products! Name the company.

8. After taking down Novak Djokovic in the semifinal, this rising
Italian tennis star defeated Daniil Medvedev to win the
Australian Open. Name him.

9. Entering last Sunday's NFL conference finals, three of the four
contenders were multiple Super Bowl winners, while one has never
appeared in the big game. They won't this year either, after
losing to the San Francisco 49ers. Who are these perennial
also-rans?

10. While helping his father clean out his house, a Saskatchewan
man came across a cardboard box, the value of whose contents
has been estimated as high as $3,000,000. What was in the box?

--
Mark Brader | "It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
Toronto | By definition, there are already enough people to do that."

Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2

<1ebce534-01af-4df4-9b8f-139a77da7889n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5970&group=rec.games.trivia#5970

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 05:29:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 13:29 UTC

On Tuesday, February 6, 2024 at 12:48:06 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
> the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
> of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1 (2024-01-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The Oilers beat the Flames 3-1 last week. They broke a record
> for a Canadian NHL team that had stood since Montreal set it
> in the 1967-68 season. What did they break the record for?

longest winning streak by a canadian team (13)

> 2. Nick Dunlap won the American Express PGA golf tournament last
> week but did not get the $1,500,000 prize. Why not?

he is an amatuer

> 3. Whose bust was unveiled at Queen's Park?

lincoln alexander [1st black mp in canada]

> 4. Art seems to come and go at the legislature. Why was the
> painting "Salmon Life Giving Spawn" *removed* from Queen's Park?

they don't know the correct provenance and it may be a fake

> 5. What Canadian filmmaker died last week at age 97?

norman jewison

> 6. Name the Canadian who was nominated for the Best Supporting
> Actor Oscar.

ryan gosling

> 7. At the Telus Centre in Calgary, in front of 4,000 people,
> Danielle Smith had a sit-down with what controversial media
> personality?

tucker carlson

> 8. Which state hosted both the Democratic and Republican primaries
> last week?

new hampshire

> 9. In a blow to international shipping, the Panama Canal is
> drastically reducing the number of ships that can pass through.
> Why?

lack of rain

> 10. Which country is receiving the first-ever vaccine against
> malaria?

cameroon [following ghana, kenya, and malawi since the trials began. this is truly huge news.]

> * Game 2 (2024-02-05), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Justice Marie-Josée Hogue was in the news last week. What is
> the subject of the investigation she is leading?

foreign interference in elections

> 2. Five professional hockey players from Canada's 2018 world
> junior hockey team turned themselves in last week to face charges
> of sexual assault. In *what city* will the trial take place?

london, ontario

> 3. Turning to the obits, this Puerto Rican dancer/singer/actress,
> whose breakthrough came as the original Anita in "West Side
> Story", died Tuesday. Name her.

chita rivera

> 4. This actor, famous for his role as Apollo Creed in the "Rocky"
> franchise, also played linebacker for two seasons for the
> BC Lions. He died on Thursday. Name him.

carl weathers

> 5. Saturday saw the passing at the age of 86, at his home in
> Switzerland, of Vitorio Emmanuele di Savoia. *What title*
> was Vitorio Emmanuele's *father* the last to hold?

king of italy

> 6. Last Monday a judge ordered the liquidation of Evergrande.
> The development company is $300,000,000,000 in debt. In *what
> country* did Evergrande have its operations?

china

> 7. This Toronto furniture store announced plans to convert 430 acres
> of land it owns on the edge of the city into a residential zone
> with 4,000 new homes. That's one way to generate buyers for
> its products! Name the company.

leon's?

> 8. After taking down Novak Djokovic in the semifinal, this rising
> Italian tennis star defeated Daniil Medvedev to win the
> Australian Open. Name him.

jannik sinner

> 9. Entering last Sunday's NFL conference finals, three of the four
> contenders were multiple Super Bowl winners, while one has never
> appeared in the big game. They won't this year either, after
> losing to the San Francisco 49ers. Who are these perennial
> also-rans?

detroit lions

> 10. While helping his father clean out his house, a Saskatchewan
> man came across a cardboard box, the value of whose contents
> has been estimated as high as $3,000,000. What was in the box?

unopened 1979 o-pee-chee hockey cards in original cases. wayne gretzky rookie cards among them.

> --
> Mark Brader | "It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
> Toronto | By definition, there are already enough people to do that."
> m...@vex.net | --G.H. Hardy
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2

<XnsB110CDE09824EYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5971&group=rec.games.trivia#5971

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 20:14:18 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:14 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1 (2024-01-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Nick Dunlap won the American Express PGA golf tournament last
> week but did not get the $1,500,000 prize. Why not?

He is an amateur
> 8. Which state hosted both the Democratic and Republican primaries
> last week?

New Hampshire
> 9. In a blow to international shipping, the Panama Canal is
> drastically reducing the number of ships that can pass through.
> Why?

The canal is frozen? :-)

Interesting. Lot's of noise in the papers here about the Houthi
rebels driving shippers to take the long route about Africa and how
that can affect the economy. I've seen nothing about the Panama Canal.
> 10. Which country is receiving the first-ever vaccine against
> malaria?

Kenya
> * Game 2 (2024-02-05), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Five professional hockey players from Canada's 2018 world
> junior hockey team turned themselves in last week to face charges
> of sexual assault. In *what city* will the trial take place?

London
> 5. Saturday saw the passing at the age of 86, at his home in
> Switzerland, of Vitorio Emmanuele di Savoia. *What title*
> was Vitorio Emmanuele's *father* the last to hold?

King of Italy
> 6. Last Monday a judge ordered the liquidation of Evergrande.
> The development company is $300,000,000,000 in debt. In *what
> country* did Evergrande have its operations?

China
> 8. After taking down Novak Djokovic in the semifinal, this rising
> Italian tennis star defeated Daniil Medvedev to win the
> Australian Open. Name him.

Jenner
> 9. Entering last Sunday's NFL conference finals, three of the four
> contenders were multiple Super Bowl winners, while one has never
> appeared in the big game. They won't this year either, after
> losing to the San Francisco 49ers. Who are these perennial
> also-rans?

Green Bay Packers
> 10. While helping his father clean out his house, a Saskatchewan
> man came across a cardboard box, the value of whose contents
> has been estimated as high as $3,000,000. What was in the box?

Gold and platina

(Apparently, some time back here in Sweden, workers in a house that
had been bought by some Youtubers found exactly that in the attic of
the house. There is now a controversy who hsa the right to the metals.
The workers, the YouTubers or the former owner.)

Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2

<upuc3s$fbo$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5972&group=rec.games.trivia#5972

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 22:33:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 22:33 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1 (2024-01-29), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. Nick Dunlap won the American Express PGA golf tournament last
> week but did not get the $1,500,000 prize. Why not?

he is an amateur player

> 8. Which state hosted both the Democratic and Republican primaries
> last week?

New Hampshire

> 10. Which country is receiving the first-ever vaccine against
> malaria?

Nigeria; Ghana

> * Game 2 (2024-02-05), Round 1 - Current Events

> 3. Turning to the obits, this Puerto Rican dancer/singer/actress,
> whose breakthrough came as the original Anita in "West Side
> Story", died Tuesday. Name her.

Chita Rivera

> 4. This actor, famous for his role as Apollo Creed in the "Rocky"
> franchise, also played linebacker for two seasons for the
> BC Lions. He died on Thursday. Name him.

Carl Weathers

> 5. Saturday saw the passing at the age of 86, at his home in
> Switzerland, of Vitorio Emmanuele di Savoia. *What title*
> was Vitorio Emmanuele's *father* the last to hold?

King of Italy

> 9. Entering last Sunday's NFL conference finals, three of the four
> contenders were multiple Super Bowl winners, while one has never
> appeared in the big game. They won't this year either, after
> losing to the San Francisco 49ers. Who are these perennial
> also-rans?

Detroit Lions

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2

<g2idnUJnaKhDIV_4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5973&group=rec.games.trivia#5973

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 23:12:30 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 23:12 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > 9. In a blow to international shipping, the Panama Canal is
> > drastically reducing the number of ships that can pass through.
> > Why?
Erland Sommarskog:
> The canal is frozen? :-)

"The canal isn't frozen" was news not so long ago -- from Ottawa.
The Rideau Canal in that city is usually available for skating
during the winter, but this winter has been so mild in Southern
Ontario (unlike a lot of other parts of Canada!) that so far this
season it's only been open for 4 days.

http://globalnews.ca/news/10248610/ottawa-rideau-canal-closes/
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "When you say 'non-trivial', can you
msb@vex.net quantify that for me?" --Kate Hamilton

Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2

<a4a0962c-d92d-4360-9a3c-42b51a0af3abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5974&group=rec.games.trivia#5974

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:51:09 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 00:51 UTC

On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 11:48:06 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 1 (2024-01-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 5. What Canadian filmmaker died last week at age 97?

Jewison
> 6. Name the Canadian who was nominated for the Best Supporting
> Actor Oscar.

Gosling

> 8. Which state hosted both the Democratic and Republican primaries
> last week?

New Hampshire
> 9. In a blow to international shipping, the Panama Canal is
> drastically reducing the number of ships that can pass through.
> Why?

low water levels

> * Game 2 (2024-02-05), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. Turning to the obits, this Puerto Rican dancer/singer/actress,
> whose breakthrough came as the original Anita in "West Side
> Story", died Tuesday. Name her.

Rivera

> 4. This actor, famous for his role as Apollo Creed in the "Rocky"
> franchise, also played linebacker for two seasons for the
> BC Lions. He died on Thursday. Name him.

Weathers

> 5. Saturday saw the passing at the age of 86, at his home in
> Switzerland, of Vitorio Emmanuele di Savoia. *What title*
> was Vitorio Emmanuele's *father* the last to hold?

King of Italy

> 6. Last Monday a judge ordered the liquidation of Evergrande.
> The development company is $300,000,000,000 in debt. In *what
> country* did Evergrande have its operations?

China

> 9. Entering last Sunday's NFL conference finals, three of the four
> contenders were multiple Super Bowl winners, while one has never
> appeared in the big game. They won't this year either, after
> losing to the San Francisco 49ers. Who are these perennial
> also-rans?

Detroit Lions
> 10. While helping his father clean out his house, a Saskatchewan
> man came across a cardboard box, the value of whose contents
> has been estimated as high as $3,000,000. What was in the box?

the complete archive of Questions from the Canadian Inquisition

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2

<upv5mi$1actn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5975&group=rec.games.trivia#5975

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 23:50:08 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 05:50 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
> the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
> of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1 (2024-01-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The Oilers beat the Flames 3-1 last week. They broke a record
> for a Canadian NHL team that had stood since Montreal set it
> in the 1967-68 season. What did they break the record for?

Consecutive wins

> 2. Nick Dunlap won the American Express PGA golf tournament last
> week but did not get the $1,500,000 prize. Why not?

He was an amateur

> 3. Whose bust was unveiled at Queen's Park?
>
> 4. Art seems to come and go at the legislature. Why was the
> painting "Salmon Life Giving Spawn" *removed* from Queen's Park?
>
> 5. What Canadian filmmaker died last week at age 97?
>
> 6. Name the Canadian who was nominated for the Best Supporting
> Actor Oscar.
>
> 7. At the Telus Centre in Calgary, in front of 4,000 people,
> Danielle Smith had a sit-down with what controversial media
> personality?
>
> 8. Which state hosted both the Democratic and Republican primaries
> last week?

New Hampshire

> 9. In a blow to international shipping, the Panama Canal is
> drastically reducing the number of ships that can pass through.
> Why?

Depth of water has decreased

> 10. Which country is receiving the first-ever vaccine against
> malaria?
>

> * Game 2 (2024-02-05), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Justice Marie-Josée Hogue was in the news last week. What is
> the subject of the investigation she is leading?
>
> 2. Five professional hockey players from Canada's 2018 world
> junior hockey team turned themselves in last week to face charges
> of sexual assault. In *what city* will the trial take place?
>
> 3. Turning to the obits, this Puerto Rican dancer/singer/actress,
> whose breakthrough came as the original Anita in "West Side
> Story", died Tuesday. Name her.

Chita Rivera

> 4. This actor, famous for his role as Apollo Creed in the "Rocky"
> franchise, also played linebacker for two seasons for the
> BC Lions. He died on Thursday. Name him.

Weathers

> 5. Saturday saw the passing at the age of 86, at his home in
> Switzerland, of Vitorio Emmanuele di Savoia. *What title*
> was Vitorio Emmanuele's *father* the last to hold?

King of Italy

> 6. Last Monday a judge ordered the liquidation of Evergrande.
> The development company is $300,000,000,000 in debt. In *what
> country* did Evergrande have its operations?
>
> 7. This Toronto furniture store announced plans to convert 430 acres
> of land it owns on the edge of the city into a residential zone
> with 4,000 new homes. That's one way to generate buyers for
> its products! Name the company.
>
> 8. After taking down Novak Djokovic in the semifinal, this rising
> Italian tennis star defeated Daniil Medvedev to win the
> Australian Open. Name him.
>
> 9. Entering last Sunday's NFL conference finals, three of the four
> contenders were multiple Super Bowl winners, while one has never
> appeared in the big game. They won't this year either, after
> losing to the San Francisco 49ers. Who are these perennial
> also-rans?

Detroit Lions

> 10. While helping his father clean out his house, a Saskatchewan
> man came across a cardboard box, the value of whose contents
> has been estimated as high as $3,000,000. What was in the box?

Pete Gayde

QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2 answers

<61-dnc_7jfBuQlj4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5985&group=rec.games.trivia#5985

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2 answers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 08:18:59 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 08:18 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date... For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1 (2024-01-29), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. The Oilers beat the Flames 3-1 last week. They broke a record
> for a Canadian NHL team that had stood since Montreal set it
> in the 1967-68 season. What did they break the record for?

Longest winning streak (13 games). 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 2. Nick Dunlap won the American Express PGA golf tournament last
> week but did not get the $1,500,000 prize. Why not?

He's an amateur. 4 for Stephen, Erland, Dan, and Pete.

> 3. Whose bust was unveiled at Queen's Park?

Lincoln Alexander. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. Art seems to come and go at the legislature. Why was the
> painting "Salmon Life Giving Spawn" *removed* from Queen's Park?

Suspected forgery. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. What Canadian filmmaker died last week at age 97?

Norman Jewison. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 6. Name the Canadian who was nominated for the Best Supporting
> Actor Oscar.

Ryan Gosling. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 7. At the Telus Centre in Calgary, in front of 4,000 people,
> Danielle Smith had a sit-down with what controversial media
> personality?

Tucker Carlson. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. Which state hosted both the Democratic and Republican primaries
> last week?

New Hampshire. 4 for everyone -- Stephen, Erland, Dan, Joshua,
and Pete.

> 9. In a blow to international shipping, the Panama Canal is
> drastically reducing the number of ships that can pass through.
> Why?

Low water levels due to drought. 3 for Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

Operation of the canal's locks requires an essentially continuous
supply of water from Gatun Lake, which is fed by what used to be
an essentially continuous supply of tropical rainstorms.

> 10. Which country is receiving the first-ever vaccine against
> malaria?

Cameroon. 4 for Stephen.

> * Game 2 (2024-02-05), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Justice Marie-Josée Hogue was in the news last week. What is
> the subject of the investigation she is leading?

Foreign interference in Canadian elections. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. Five professional hockey players from Canada's 2018 world
> junior hockey team turned themselves in last week to face charges
> of sexual assault. In *what city* will the trial take place?

London, Ontario. 4 for Stephen and Erland.

> 3. Turning to the obits, this Puerto Rican dancer/singer/actress,
> whose breakthrough came as the original Anita in "West Side
> Story", died Tuesday. Name her.

Chita Rivera. 4 for Stephen, Dan, Joshua, and Pete.

> 4. This actor, famous for his role as Apollo Creed in the "Rocky"
> franchise, also played linebacker for two seasons for the
> BC Lions. He died on Thursday. Name him.

Carl Weathers. 4 for Stephen, Dan, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. Saturday saw the passing at the age of 86, at his home in
> Switzerland, of Vitorio Emmanuele di Savoia. *What title*
> was Vitorio Emmanuele's *father* the last to hold?

King of Italy. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Last Monday a judge ordered the liquidation of Evergrande.
> The development company is $300,000,000,000 in debt. In *what
> country* did Evergrande have its operations?

China. 4 for Stephen, Erland, and Joshua.

> 7. This Toronto furniture store announced plans to convert 430 acres
> of land it owns on the edge of the city into a residential zone
> with 4,000 new homes. That's one way to generate buyers for
> its products! Name the company.

Leon's. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. After taking down Novak Djokovic in the semifinal, this rising
> Italian tennis star defeated Daniil Medvedev to win the
> Australian Open. Name him.

Jannik Sinner. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. Entering last Sunday's NFL conference finals, three of the four
> contenders were multiple Super Bowl winners, while one has never
> appeared in the big game. They won't this year either, after
> losing to the San Francisco 49ers. Who are these perennial
> also-rans?

Detroit Lions. 4 for Stephen, Dan, Joshua, and Pete.

> 10. While helping his father clean out his house, a Saskatchewan
> man came across a cardboard box, the value of whose contents
> has been estimated as high as $3,000,000. What was in the box?

768 unopened packs of hockey cards from 1980 (Wayne Gretzky's
rookie year). 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 TOTALS
Stephen Perry 39 40 79
Joshua Kreitzer 15 20 35
Pete Gayde 15 16 31
Dan Blum 8 16 24
Erland Sommarskog 8 12 20

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Ah. I am now confused at a much more
msb@vex.net | advanced level, thank you." --Mike Lyle

Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2

<uq4ose$2i4l2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5986&group=rec.games.trivia#5986

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 00:48:12 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 08:48 UTC

On 2/5/24 21:47, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2024-01-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The Oilers beat the Flames 3-1 last week. They broke a record
> for a Canadian NHL team that had stood since Montreal set it
> in the 1967-68 season. What did they break the record for?
>
> 2. Nick Dunlap won the American Express PGA golf tournament last
> week but did not get the $1,500,000 prize. Why not?
>
> 3. Whose bust was unveiled at Queen's Park?
>
> 4. Art seems to come and go at the legislature. Why was the
> painting "Salmon Life Giving Spawn" *removed* from Queen's Park?
>
> 5. What Canadian filmmaker died last week at age 97?
>
> 6. Name the Canadian who was nominated for the Best Supporting
> Actor Oscar.
>
> 7. At the Telus Centre in Calgary, in front of 4,000 people,
> Danielle Smith had a sit-down with what controversial media
> personality?
>
> 8. Which state hosted both the Democratic and Republican primaries
> last week?

New Hampshire

> 9. In a blow to international shipping, the Panama Canal is
> drastically reducing the number of ships that can pass through.
> Why?

lack of water due to drought

> 10. Which country is receiving the first-ever vaccine against
> malaria?

Nigeria

> * Game 2 (2024-02-05), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Justice Marie-Josée Hogue was in the news last week. What is
> the subject of the investigation she is leading?
>
> 2. Five professional hockey players from Canada's 2018 world
> junior hockey team turned themselves in last week to face charges
> of sexual assault. In *what city* will the trial take place?
>
> 3. Turning to the obits, this Puerto Rican dancer/singer/actress,
> whose breakthrough came as the original Anita in "West Side
> Story", died Tuesday. Name her.
>
> 4. This actor, famous for his role as Apollo Creed in the "Rocky"
> franchise, also played linebacker for two seasons for the
> BC Lions. He died on Thursday. Name him.
>
> 5. Saturday saw the passing at the age of 86, at his home in
> Switzerland, of Vitorio Emmanuele di Savoia. *What title*
> was Vitorio Emmanuele's *father* the last to hold?

King of Italy

> 6. Last Monday a judge ordered the liquidation of Evergrande.
> The development company is $300,000,000,000 in debt. In *what
> country* did Evergrande have its operations?
>
> 7. This Toronto furniture store announced plans to convert 430 acres
> of land it owns on the edge of the city into a residential zone
> with 4,000 new homes. That's one way to generate buyers for
> its products! Name the company.
>
> 8. After taking down Novak Djokovic in the semifinal, this rising
> Italian tennis star defeated Daniil Medvedev to win the
> Australian Open. Name him.
>
> 9. Entering last Sunday's NFL conference finals, three of the four
> contenders were multiple Super Bowl winners, while one has never
> appeared in the big game. They won't this year either, after
> losing to the San Francisco 49ers. Who are these perennial
> also-rans?

Detroit Lions

> 10. While helping his father clean out his house, a Saskatchewan
> man came across a cardboard box, the value of whose contents
> has been estimated as high as $3,000,000. What was in the box?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 1-2

<N_ucnaIqcadsElv4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5987&group=rec.games.trivia#5987

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 20:49:53 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 20:49 UTC

If Dan Tilque had posted his responses on time, he would have
scored 8 points on each round.
--
Mark Brader | "A colorful quilt reflecting the dispersed development
msb@vex.net | of the nation. A sentence fragment."