A bird in the bush usually has a friend in there with him.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga poses

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga posesMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga posesDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga posesJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga posesDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga posesErland Sommarskog
`* QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFoods, yoga posesMark Brader
 `* Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFoods, yoga posesDan Blum
  `* Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFoods, yoga posesMark Brader
   `- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFoods, yoga posesErland Sommarskog

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga poses

<HcqdnR7fr-ho3lX4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5989&group=rec.games.trivia#5989

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga poses
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 03:50:13 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 03:50 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-01-29,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Foods, Drinks, and Snacks

*Note*: none of the answers is poutine!

1. Introduced in 1938 by Rowntree, now manufactured by Nestlé
in Toronto, and quite difficult to find outside Canada, this
confectionery wrapped in yellow paper "makes a nice light snack".
Name it.

2. What's the main ingredient that distinguishes the popular
Canadian cocktail, the Bloody Caesar (or just Caesar), from
the similar Bloody Mary?

3. This cultivar of a root vegetable was developed in Ontario
and burst onto grocery store shelves in 1980 to great success.
It's a cross between varieties from the US and Peru. Despite
the first part of its name, it is not widely grown in northern
Canada. Its distinctive color inspired the second part of its
two-word name. What is it?

4. If you take a traditional kebab that you slice off a vertical
rotisserie, but you make it out of beef instead of pork or lamb,
then add a sauce of condensed milk, vinegar, sugar, and garlic,
and serve it in a pita, then you have this lovely treat to
serve to hungry bar-hoppers in Atlantic Canada. What is it?

5. You probably think this kitchen staple was invented by George
Washington Carver, but in fact Canada's Marcellus Edson
received the first patent in 1884. By World War I it was
in widespread use as a protein source during meat rationing.
Canadians are among the world's largest consumers per capita.
85% of you have some at home. What is it?

6. The McLaughlin family of Oshawa is best known for their motor
car company, which became part of General Motors. The eldest
son, John, however, contributed a carbonated drink to the world,
which exploded in popularity as a mixer for moonshine during
US Prohibition. Name the "patriotic" drink *brand*.

7. It's not certain, but Vancouver chef Hidekazu Tojo might be
responsible for the creation of this popular restaurant item
in the late 1970s. Two of the main ingredients are crab and
avocado. Their initial letters inspired the name of the item.
What is it?

8. The next item also bears a name from outside Canada. A Greek-
Canadian restaurateur in Chatham-Kent added canned fruit to a
popular take-out item on his menu. You either like or hate it.
What is it?

9. Tourtière is a traditional meat pie from Quebec, which is made
with a mixture of meats like veal, beef, pork, or wild game.
However, before the 20th century, a different type of meat -- no
longer available now -- was the main meat used in tourtière. Name it.

10. In the 1970s, University of Manitoba researchers modified an
oil-producing plant to reduce the amount of bitter and dangerous
erucic acid. They created Canola, which stands for Canadian Oil,
Low Acid. What was the source plant that they modified?

* Game 1, Round 3 - Sports - Yoga Poses

Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/1-3/yoga.jpg

Western yoga is built on the idea of asanas ["AHSS-ah-nuhs"], or
"poses" that stretch, strengthen, and calm or energize the body.
You'll be given the name of a yoga pose in its original Sanskrit
and in English. If the commonly used English name isn't a
literal translation, we'll give you that too. For example,
Tadasana ["TAH-dass-ah-nuh"] literally means "mountain pose",
and that is its common English name, while Eka Pada Rajakapotasana
["aa-KAH pah-DAH rah-JAH-kop-poh-TAHS-anna"] literally translates
to "one-legged king pigeon", but is known as the "mermaid pose."
In each case, give the correct corresponding letter on the handout.

1. Paripurna Navasana ["par-ee-POOR-nah nah-VAHS-anna"] -- English,
"boat pose", literal translation "complete" or "full boat pose."

2. Parighasana ["par-ee-GAHS-ah-nah"] -- English, "gate pose",
direct translation "the bar used for shutting a gate, crossbar."

3. Natarajasana ["not-ah-raj-AHS-anna"] -- English, "dancer pose",
direct translation "King Dancer" or "Lord of the Dance."

4. Trikonasana ["trik-cone-AHS-ah-nah"] -- English, "triangle pose."

5. Ustrasana ["oosh-TRAH-sah-nah"] -- English, "camel pose."

6. Camatkarasana ["KUH-mutt-Kuh-RUSS-uh-nuh"] -- English, "wild
thing pose", direct translation "the joyful unfolding of
the heart."

7. Urdhva Dhanurasana ["OORD-vah don-your-AHS-anna"] -- English,
"wheel pose", direct translation "upward facing bow."

8. Garudasana ["gah-rue-DAHS-anna"] -- English, "eagle pose",
direct translation "the mythic king of the birds."

9. Bhujangasana ["boo-jang-GAHS-anna"] -- English, "sphinx pose"
or "cobra pose", direct translation "snake."

10. Malasana ["muh-LUH-suh-nuh"] -- English, "garland pose."

--
Mark Brader | "To a guy, an RGB value is three bits rather than bytes.
Toronto | ...000 Black, 001 Blue, 010 Green, ..., 111 White."

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga poses

<uq9hoh$bkr$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5990&group=rec.games.trivia#5990

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga poses
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 04:17:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 04:17 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Foods, Drinks, and Snacks

> 3. This cultivar of a root vegetable was developed in Ontario
> and burst onto grocery store shelves in 1980 to great success.
> It's a cross between varieties from the US and Peru. Despite
> the first part of its name, it is not widely grown in northern
> Canada. Its distinctive color inspired the second part of its
> two-word name. What is it?

Yukon Gold potato

> 4. If you take a traditional kebab that you slice off a vertical
> rotisserie, but you make it out of beef instead of pork or lamb,
> then add a sauce of condensed milk, vinegar, sugar, and garlic,
> and serve it in a pita, then you have this lovely treat to
> serve to hungry bar-hoppers in Atlantic Canada. What is it?

doner kebab

> 5. You probably think this kitchen staple was invented by George
> Washington Carver, but in fact Canada's Marcellus Edson
> received the first patent in 1884. By World War I it was
> in widespread use as a protein source during meat rationing.
> Canadians are among the world's largest consumers per capita.
> 85% of you have some at home. What is it?

peanut butter

> 6. The McLaughlin family of Oshawa is best known for their motor
> car company, which became part of General Motors. The eldest
> son, John, however, contributed a carbonated drink to the world,
> which exploded in popularity as a mixer for moonshine during
> US Prohibition. Name the "patriotic" drink *brand*.

Canada Dry

> 7. It's not certain, but Vancouver chef Hidekazu Tojo might be
> responsible for the creation of this popular restaurant item
> in the late 1970s. Two of the main ingredients are crab and
> avocado. Their initial letters inspired the name of the item.
> What is it?

California roll

> 8. The next item also bears a name from outside Canada. A Greek-
> Canadian restaurateur in Chatham-Kent added canned fruit to a
> popular take-out item on his menu. You either like or hate it.
> What is it?

Hawaiian pizza

> 9. Tourti?re is a traditional meat pie from Quebec, which is made
> with a mixture of meats like veal, beef, pork, or wild game.
> However, before the 20th century, a different type of meat -- no
> longer available now -- was the main meat used in tourti?re. Name it.

turtle

> 10. In the 1970s, University of Manitoba researchers modified an
> oil-producing plant to reduce the amount of bitter and dangerous
> erucic acid. They created Canola, which stands for Canadian Oil,
> Low Acid. What was the source plant that they modified?

rapeseed

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Sports - Yoga Poses

> 1. Paripurna Navasana ["par-ee-POOR-nah nah-VAHS-anna"] -- English,
> "boat pose", literal translation "complete" or "full boat pose."

> 2. Parighasana ["par-ee-GAHS-ah-nah"] -- English, "gate pose",
> direct translation "the bar used for shutting a gate, crossbar."

> 3. Natarajasana ["not-ah-raj-AHS-anna"] -- English, "dancer pose",
> direct translation "King Dancer" or "Lord of the Dance."

> 4. Trikonasana ["trik-cone-AHS-ah-nah"] -- English, "triangle pose."

> 5. Ustrasana ["oosh-TRAH-sah-nah"] -- English, "camel pose."

> 6. Camatkarasana ["KUH-mutt-Kuh-RUSS-uh-nuh"] -- English, "wild
> thing pose", direct translation "the joyful unfolding of
> the heart."

> 7. Urdhva Dhanurasana ["OORD-vah don-your-AHS-anna"] -- English,
> "wheel pose", direct translation "upward facing bow."

> 8. Garudasana ["gah-rue-DAHS-anna"] -- English, "eagle pose",
> direct translation "the mythic king of the birds."

> 9. Bhujangasana ["boo-jang-GAHS-anna"] -- English, "sphinx pose"
> or "cobra pose", direct translation "snake."

> 10. Malasana ["muh-LUH-suh-nuh"] -- English, "garland pose."

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga poses

<62fdaf8a-f2a6-4a44-b7bb-05502b8fa4ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5991&group=rec.games.trivia#5991

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 20:24:35 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 04:24 UTC

On Saturday, February 10, 2024 at 9:50:23 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Foods, Drinks, and Snacks
>
> *Note*: none of the answers is poutine!
>
> 2. What's the main ingredient that distinguishes the popular
> Canadian cocktail, the Bloody Caesar (or just Caesar), from
> the similar Bloody Mary?

Clamato

> 3. This cultivar of a root vegetable was developed in Ontario
> and burst onto grocery store shelves in 1980 to great success.
> It's a cross between varieties from the US and Peru. Despite
> the first part of its name, it is not widely grown in northern
> Canada. Its distinctive color inspired the second part of its
> two-word name. What is it?

Yukon red

> 5. You probably think this kitchen staple was invented by George
> Washington Carver, but in fact Canada's Marcellus Edson
> received the first patent in 1884. By World War I it was
> in widespread use as a protein source during meat rationing.
> Canadians are among the world's largest consumers per capita.
> 85% of you have some at home. What is it?

peanut butter
> 7. It's not certain, but Vancouver chef Hidekazu Tojo might be
> responsible for the creation of this popular restaurant item
> in the late 1970s. Two of the main ingredients are crab and
> avocado. Their initial letters inspired the name of the item.
> What is it?

California roll

> 8. The next item also bears a name from outside Canada. A Greek-
> Canadian restaurateur in Chatham-Kent added canned fruit to a
> popular take-out item on his menu. You either like or hate it.
> What is it?

pineapple pizza

> 10. In the 1970s, University of Manitoba researchers modified an
> oil-producing plant to reduce the amount of bitter and dangerous
> erucic acid. They created Canola, which stands for Canadian Oil,
> Low Acid. What was the source plant that they modified?

rapeseed
> * Game 1, Round 3 - Sports - Yoga Poses
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/1-3/yoga.jpg
>
> In each case, give the correct corresponding letter on the handout.
>
> 1. Paripurna Navasana ["par-ee-POOR-nah nah-VAHS-anna"] -- English,
> "boat pose", literal translation "complete" or "full boat pose."

A; N

> 2. Parighasana ["par-ee-GAHS-ah-nah"] -- English, "gate pose",
> direct translation "the bar used for shutting a gate, crossbar."

B; E

> 3. Natarajasana ["not-ah-raj-AHS-anna"] -- English, "dancer pose",
> direct translation "King Dancer" or "Lord of the Dance."

> 4. Trikonasana ["trik-cone-AHS-ah-nah"] -- English, "triangle pose."

> 5. Ustrasana ["oosh-TRAH-sah-nah"] -- English, "camel pose."

F; G

> 6. Camatkarasana ["KUH-mutt-Kuh-RUSS-uh-nuh"] -- English, "wild
> thing pose", direct translation "the joyful unfolding of
> the heart."

J; K

> 7. Urdhva Dhanurasana ["OORD-vah don-your-AHS-anna"] -- English,
> "wheel pose", direct translation "upward facing bow."

> 8. Garudasana ["gah-rue-DAHS-anna"] -- English, "eagle pose",
> direct translation "the mythic king of the birds."

L; O

> 9. Bhujangasana ["boo-jang-GAHS-anna"] -- English, "sphinx pose"
> or "cobra pose", direct translation "snake."

> 10. Malasana ["muh-LUH-suh-nuh"] -- English, "garland pose."

P; H

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga poses

<uqa3pn$toiu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5992&group=rec.games.trivia#5992

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 01:25:08 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 09:25 UTC

On 2/10/24 19:50, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Foods, Drinks, and Snacks
>
> *Note*: none of the answers is poutine!

I'm severely disapointed

> 1. Introduced in 1938 by Rowntree, now manufactured by Nestlé
> in Toronto, and quite difficult to find outside Canada, this
> confectionery wrapped in yellow paper "makes a nice light snack".
> Name it.
>
> 2. What's the main ingredient that distinguishes the popular
> Canadian cocktail, the Bloody Caesar (or just Caesar), from
> the similar Bloody Mary?
>
> 3. This cultivar of a root vegetable was developed in Ontario
> and burst onto grocery store shelves in 1980 to great success.
> It's a cross between varieties from the US and Peru. Despite
> the first part of its name, it is not widely grown in northern
> Canada. Its distinctive color inspired the second part of its
> two-word name. What is it?
>
> 4. If you take a traditional kebab that you slice off a vertical
> rotisserie, but you make it out of beef instead of pork or lamb,
> then add a sauce of condensed milk, vinegar, sugar, and garlic,
> and serve it in a pita, then you have this lovely treat to
> serve to hungry bar-hoppers in Atlantic Canada. What is it?
>
> 5. You probably think this kitchen staple was invented by George
> Washington Carver, but in fact Canada's Marcellus Edson
> received the first patent in 1884. By World War I it was
> in widespread use as a protein source during meat rationing.
> Canadians are among the world's largest consumers per capita.
> 85% of you have some at home. What is it?

peanut butter

> 6. The McLaughlin family of Oshawa is best known for their motor
> car company, which became part of General Motors. The eldest
> son, John, however, contributed a carbonated drink to the world,
> which exploded in popularity as a mixer for moonshine during
> US Prohibition. Name the "patriotic" drink *brand*.
>
> 7. It's not certain, but Vancouver chef Hidekazu Tojo might be
> responsible for the creation of this popular restaurant item
> in the late 1970s. Two of the main ingredients are crab and
> avocado. Their initial letters inspired the name of the item.
> What is it?
>
> 8. The next item also bears a name from outside Canada. A Greek-
> Canadian restaurateur in Chatham-Kent added canned fruit to a
> popular take-out item on his menu. You either like or hate it.
> What is it?

Hawaiian pizza

> 9. Tourtière is a traditional meat pie from Quebec, which is made
> with a mixture of meats like veal, beef, pork, or wild game.
> However, before the 20th century, a different type of meat -- no
> longer available now -- was the main meat used in tourtière. Name it.
>
> 10. In the 1970s, University of Manitoba researchers modified an
> oil-producing plant to reduce the amount of bitter and dangerous
> erucic acid. They created Canola, which stands for Canadian Oil,
> Low Acid. What was the source plant that they modified?

rapeseed

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Sports - Yoga Poses
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/1-3/yoga.jpg
>
> Western yoga is built on the idea of asanas ["AHSS-ah-nuhs"], or
> "poses" that stretch, strengthen, and calm or energize the body.
> You'll be given the name of a yoga pose in its original Sanskrit
> and in English. If the commonly used English name isn't a
> literal translation, we'll give you that too. For example,
> Tadasana ["TAH-dass-ah-nuh"] literally means "mountain pose",
> and that is its common English name, while Eka Pada Rajakapotasana
> ["aa-KAH pah-DAH rah-JAH-kop-poh-TAHS-anna"] literally translates
> to "one-legged king pigeon", but is known as the "mermaid pose."
> In each case, give the correct corresponding letter on the handout.
>
> 1. Paripurna Navasana ["par-ee-POOR-nah nah-VAHS-anna"] -- English,
> "boat pose", literal translation "complete" or "full boat pose."
>
> 2. Parighasana ["par-ee-GAHS-ah-nah"] -- English, "gate pose",
> direct translation "the bar used for shutting a gate, crossbar."

> 3. Natarajasana ["not-ah-raj-AHS-anna"] -- English, "dancer pose",
> direct translation "King Dancer" or "Lord of the Dance."
>
> 4. Trikonasana ["trik-cone-AHS-ah-nah"] -- English, "triangle pose."

A; I

> 5. Ustrasana ["oosh-TRAH-sah-nah"] -- English, "camel pose."
>
> 6. Camatkarasana ["KUH-mutt-Kuh-RUSS-uh-nuh"] -- English, "wild
> thing pose", direct translation "the joyful unfolding of
> the heart."
>
> 7. Urdhva Dhanurasana ["OORD-vah don-your-AHS-anna"] -- English,
> "wheel pose", direct translation "upward facing bow."

> 8. Garudasana ["gah-rue-DAHS-anna"] -- English, "eagle pose",
> direct translation "the mythic king of the birds."

> 9. Bhujangasana ["boo-jang-GAHS-anna"] -- English, "sphinx pose"
> or "cobra pose", direct translation "snake."

> 10. Malasana ["muh-LUH-suh-nuh"] -- English, "garland pose."

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanFoods, yoga poses

<XnsB1157C98799AAYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5993&group=rec.games.trivia#5993

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 12:14:53 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 11:14 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Foods, Drinks, and Snacks
>
> 7. It's not certain, but Vancouver chef Hidekazu Tojo might be
> responsible for the creation of this popular restaurant item
> in the late 1970s. Two of the main ingredients are crab and
> avocado. Their initial letters inspired the name of the item.
> What is it?

California roll
> 9. Tourtière is a traditional meat pie from Quebec, which is made
> with a mixture of meats like veal, beef, pork, or wild game.
> However, before the 20th century, a different type of meat -- no
> longer available now -- was the main meat used in tourtière. Name it.

Dog

QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFoods, yoga poses

<OZycnT-f_JrNElH4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=5999&group=rec.games.trivia#5999

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFoods, yoga poses
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:00:48 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:00 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-01-29,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canadian Foods, Drinks, and Snacks

> *Note*: none of the answers is poutine!

> 1. Introduced in 1938 by Rowntree, now manufactured by Nestlé
> in Toronto, and quite difficult to find outside Canada, this
> confectionery wrapped in yellow paper "makes a nice light snack".
> Name it.

Coffee Crisp.

> 2. What's the main ingredient that distinguishes the popular
> Canadian cocktail, the Bloody Caesar (or just Caesar), from
> the similar Bloody Mary?

Clam (broth, part of Clamato juice). 4 for Joshua.

> 3. This cultivar of a root vegetable was developed in Ontario
> and burst onto grocery store shelves in 1980 to great success.
> It's a cross between varieties from the US and Peru. Despite
> the first part of its name, it is not widely grown in northern
> Canada. Its distinctive color inspired the second part of its
> two-word name. What is it?

Yukon Gold (potato). 4 for Dan Blum.

> 4. If you take a traditional kebab that you slice off a vertical
> rotisserie, but you make it out of beef instead of pork or lamb,
> then add a sauce of condensed milk, vinegar, sugar, and garlic,
> and serve it in a pita, then you have this lovely treat to
> serve to hungry bar-hoppers in Atlantic Canada. What is it?

Donair.

> 5. You probably think this kitchen staple was invented by George
> Washington Carver, but in fact Canada's Marcellus Edson
> received the first patent in 1884. By World War I it was
> in widespread use as a protein source during meat rationing.
> Canadians are among the world's largest consumers per capita.
> 85% of you have some at home. What is it?

Peanut butter. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. The McLaughlin family of Oshawa is best known for their motor
> car company, which became part of General Motors. The eldest
> son, John, however, contributed a carbonated drink to the world,
> which exploded in popularity as a mixer for moonshine during
> US Prohibition. Name the "patriotic" drink *brand*.

Canada Dry (ginger ale). 4 for Dan Blum.

> 7. It's not certain, but Vancouver chef Hidekazu Tojo might be
> responsible for the creation of this popular restaurant item
> in the late 1970s. Two of the main ingredients are crab and
> avocado. Their initial letters inspired the name of the item.
> What is it?

California roll. (Crab + Avocado = CA = California.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Erland.

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you
> have finished with the previous one. The next item also bears
> a name from outside Canada. A Greek-Canadian restaurateur in
> Chatham-Kent added canned fruit to a popular take-out item on
> his menu. You either like or hate it. What is it?

Hawaiian pizza. (Named for the canned pineapple brand.) 4 for
Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Tourtière is a traditional meat pie from Quebec, which is made
> with a mixture of meats like veal, beef, pork, or wild game.
> However, before the 20th century, a different type of meat -- no
> longer available now -- was the main meat used in tourtière. Name it.

Passenger pigeon ("tourte"). (Accepting pigeon or squab.)

> 10. In the 1970s, University of Manitoba researchers modified an
> oil-producing plant to reduce the amount of bitter and dangerous
> erucic acid. They created Canola, which stands for Canadian Oil,
> Low Acid. What was the source plant that they modified?

Rape(seed). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Sports - Yoga Poses

> Please see the handout at: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/1-3/yoga.jpg

> Western yoga is built on the idea of asanas ["AHSS-ah-nuhs"], or
> "poses" that stretch, strengthen, and calm or energize the body.
> You'll be given the name of a yoga pose in its original Sanskrit
> and in English. If the commonly used English name isn't a
> literal translation, we'll give you that too. For example,
> Tadasana ["TAH-dass-ah-nuh"] literally means "mountain pose",
> and that is its common English name, while Eka Pada Rajakapotasana
> ["aa-KAH pah-DAH rah-JAH-kop-poh-TAHS-anna"] literally translates
> to "one-legged king pigeon", but is known as the "mermaid pose."
> In each case, give the correct corresponding letter on the handout.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Paripurna Navasana ["par-ee-POOR-nah nah-VAHS-anna"] -- English,
> "boat pose", literal translation "complete" or "full boat pose."

A. 3 for Joshua.

> 2. Parighasana ["par-ee-GAHS-ah-nah"] -- English, "gate pose",
> direct translation "the bar used for shutting a gate, crossbar."

J.

> 3. Natarajasana ["not-ah-raj-AHS-anna"] -- English, "dancer pose",
> direct translation "King Dancer" or "Lord of the Dance."

P.

> 4. Trikonasana ["trik-cone-AHS-ah-nah"] -- English, "triangle pose."

B.

> 5. Ustrasana ["oosh-TRAH-sah-nah"] -- English, "camel pose."

M.

> 6. Camatkarasana ["KUH-mutt-Kuh-RUSS-uh-nuh"] -- English, "wild
> thing pose", direct translation "the joyful unfolding of
> the heart."

K. 2 for Joshua.

> 7. Urdhva Dhanurasana ["OORD-vah don-your-AHS-anna"] -- English,
> "wheel pose", direct translation "upward facing bow."

G.

> 8. Garudasana ["gah-rue-DAHS-anna"] -- English, "eagle pose",
> direct translation "the mythic king of the birds."

D.

> 9. Bhujangasana ["boo-jang-GAHS-anna"] -- English, "sphinx pose"
> or "cobra pose", direct translation "snake."

C. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Malasana ["muh-LUH-suh-nuh"] -- English, "garland pose."

L.

No, I don't know what the decoy poses are.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Spo
Dan Blum 24 4 28
Joshua Kreitzer 16 9 25
Dan Tilque 12 4 16
Erland Sommarskog 4 0 4

--
Mark Brader "If you design for compatibility with a
Toronto donkey cart, what you get is a donkey cart."

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFoods, yoga poses

<uqk5ss$kak$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6003&group=rec.games.trivia#6003

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 05:02:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 05:02 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> > 4. If you take a traditional kebab that you slice off a vertical
> > rotisserie, but you make it out of beef instead of pork or lamb,
> > then add a sauce of condensed milk, vinegar, sugar, and garlic,
> > and serve it in a pita, then you have this lovely treat to
> > serve to hungry bar-hoppers in Atlantic Canada. What is it?

> Donair.

Wikipedia thinks "doner" and "donair" are the same thing. (So do I but
Wikipedia is a bit more authoritative.)

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFoods, yoga poses

<m8Gdnbxxa4E4LlP4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6006&group=rec.games.trivia#6006

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 01:00:21 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 01:00 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 4. If you take a traditional kebab that you slice off a vertical
>>> rotisserie, but you make it out of beef instead of pork or lamb,
>>> then add a sauce of condensed milk, vinegar, sugar, and garlic,
>>> and serve it in a pita, then you have this lovely treat to
>>> serve to hungry bar-hoppers in Atlantic Canada. What is it?
>
>> Donair.
Dan Blum:
> Wikipedia thinks "doner" and "donair" are the same thing.

Not at the moment it doesn't. "A variation known as donair was introduced
in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in the early 1970s."

> (So do I but Wikipedia is a bit more authoritative.)

Hardly.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Actor sent to jail for not finishing sentence
msb@vex.net | --Knoxville, TN, News-Sentinel, 1989-01-21

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFoods, yoga poses

<XnsB11ABDCA81A63Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6007&group=rec.games.trivia#6007

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:39:25 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 17:39 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Mark Brader:
>>
>>> Donair.
>
> Dan Blum:
>> Wikipedia thinks "doner" and "donair" are the same thing.
>
> Not at the moment it doesn't. "A variation known as donair was introduced
> in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in the early 1970s."

And the topic was "Canadian Foods, Drinks, and Snacks". I've never
heard of a donair kebab, but that makes perfect sense. I don't think
I've ever had a kebab of any sort of kebab in Canada. So I would
not know of local specialities.

I am certainly familiar with döner kebab, but that is absolutely not a
Canadian thing, but a Turkish dish. So I can't see how that could be a
correct answer in Canadiana round. It might have been a different matter
if it had been a round on food in general.