The best you get is an even break. -- Franklin Adams

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challenge

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challengeMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challengeDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challengeswp
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challengeDan Tilque
`* QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: '50s darkness, winter challengeMark Brader
 `* Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: '50s darkness, winter challengeswp
  `- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: '50s darkness, winter challengeMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challenge

<RhKdnabalZsoxEv4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6016&group=rec.games.trivia#6016

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:14:45 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:14 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-01-29,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

** Game 1, Round 9 - History - Dark Corners of the '50s

For many, the 1950s were a decade of peace and prosperity. But not
everyone was so fortunate.

1. The democratic government of this country nationalized its oil
and was consequently toppled in a UK/US-organized coup in 1953.
The authoritarian regime that followed stayed in place until
February 1979. Which country?

2. In 1954, another CIA-orchestrated coup replaced the democratic
government of Jacobo Árbenz with a long-lasting dictatorship.
In which Latin-American country did that happen?

3. A fight for independence in this African colony lasted from
1952 to 1960 and claimed 15,000 to 20,000 lives, including those
of more than 1,000 supposed rebels executed by the British.
What then-colony?

4. What war, waged from June 1950 to July 1953, cost between
2,500,000 and 3,000,000 lives?

5. 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 deaths resulted from a war of
independence, which lasted from 1954 to 1962 and brought about
the end of the French Fourth Republic. Name the then-colony.

6. Which Soviet leader sent in the tanks to crush the Hungarian
rebellion in 1956?

7. In 1953, a strongman overthrew democracy in Cuba and ruled as
a corrupt and murderous dictator till 1959. He was born Reubén
Zaldívar, but is better known by his chosen name, which is what?

8. From 1955 to 1959 the UK used torture and execution against
insurgents in one of their colonies. A peculiarity of this
struggle: the rebels were not fighting for independence, but
for the right to join another European country. Name the island
where this happened.

9. The Castle Bravo test of a hydrogen bomb on 1954-03-01 resulted
in radiation injury to Japanese fishermen, Pacific islanders,
and American technicians as far as 100 miles away. Name the
atoll where the test took place.

10. In 1959, a particularly brutal secret police was established
to terrorize and dispose of folks the dictator disliked. What
country was home to "Uncle Gunnysack"; i.e., the Tonton Macoutes?

** Game 1, Round 10 - Winter Challenge Round

* A. Literature

A1. Maxim de Winter, the master of Manderley, is the brooding
male protagonist of which classic novel of mystery and
suspense?

A2. Which Shakespeare play opens with these lines?

"Now is the winter of our discontent
made glorious summer by this sun of York"

* B. Military History

B1. When Napoleon and his army entered the abandoned city of
Moscow in September 1812, it was their intention to spend
the winter there. What prevented them?

B2. The Battle of Lake Peipus, fought in April 1242, is known as
the Battle on the Ice for the fact that much of it was fought
on a frozen lake. On the losing side of the battle were
the Teutonic Knights. Who was the hero of the Russian side?

* C. Entertainment

C1. Who wrote and sang the song "Hazy Shade of Winter"?

C2. Name the country music legend known for introducing Elvis
Presley to Colonel Tom Parker.

* D. Canadiana / Geography

D1. Among Canadian cities with a population over 500,000,
which has on average the coldest winters?

D2. The locality in Canada with the heaviest annual snowfall,
averaging 637.9 cm, or 21 feet, is Woody Point, population
282. In which province is Woody Point?

* E. Sports: Winter Olympics

E1. In the history of the Winter Olympics, from 1924 to 2022,
which country has won the most gold medals and the most
medals overall?

E2. What country has hosted the greatest number of Winter
Olympic Games?

* F. Science

F1. During the period from approximately 1300 to 1850, average
global temperatures dropped by as much as 2°C, particularly
in North America and Europe. By what name is this period
commonly known?

F2. What is the scientific word for the study of the behavior
of materials at very low temperatures? It derives from
the Greek word for frost.

--
Mark Brader | "I can direct dial today a man my parents warred with.
Toronto | They wanted to kill him, I want to sell software to him."

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challenge

<XnsB11FDFAA15BA9Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6017&group=rec.games.trivia#6017

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:59:13 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:59 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 1, Round 9 - History - Dark Corners of the '50s
>
> For many, the 1950s were a decade of peace and prosperity. But not
> everyone was so fortunate.
>
> 1. The democratic government of this country nationalized its oil
> and was consequently toppled in a UK/US-organized coup in 1953.
> The authoritarian regime that followed stayed in place until
> February 1979. Which country?

Iran
> 2. In 1954, another CIA-orchestrated coup replaced the democratic
> government of Jacobo Árbenz with a long-lasting dictatorship.
> In which Latin-American country did that happen?

Paraguay
> 3. A fight for independence in this African colony lasted from
> 1952 to 1960 and claimed 15,000 to 20,000 lives, including those
> of more than 1,000 supposed rebels executed by the British.
> What then-colony?

Rhodesia
> 4. What war, waged from June 1950 to July 1953, cost between
> 2,500,000 and 3,000,000 lives?

Korean War
> 5. 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 deaths resulted from a war of
> independence, which lasted from 1954 to 1962 and brought about
> the end of the French Fourth Republic. Name the then-colony.

Algeria
> 6. Which Soviet leader sent in the tanks to crush the Hungarian
> rebellion in 1956?

Chruschev
> 8. From 1955 to 1959 the UK used torture and execution against
> insurgents in one of their colonies. A peculiarity of this
> struggle: the rebels were not fighting for independence, but
> for the right to join another European country. Name the island
> where this happened.

Cyprus
> 9. The Castle Bravo test of a hydrogen bomb on 1954-03-01 resulted
> in radiation injury to Japanese fishermen, Pacific islanders,
> and American technicians as far as 100 miles away. Name the
> atoll where the test took place.

Bikini
> 10. In 1959, a particularly brutal secret police was established
> to terrorize and dispose of folks the dictator disliked. What
> country was home to "Uncle Gunnysack"; i.e., the Tonton Macoutes?

Haïti
> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Winter Challenge Round
>
> A2. Which Shakespeare play opens with these lines?
>
> "Now is the winter of our discontent
> made glorious summer by this sun of York"

Henry VI
> * B. Military History
>
> B1. When Napoleon and his army entered the abandoned city of
> Moscow in September 1812, it was their intention to spend
> the winter there. What prevented them?

They oculd not find enough food to live off.

> B2. The Battle of Lake Peipus, fought in April 1242, is known as
> the Battle on the Ice for the fact that much of it was fought
> on a frozen lake. On the losing side of the battle were
> the Teutonic Knights. Who was the hero of the Russian side?

Alexander Nevsky

(Who earned that name for another supposed water battle on the Neva
river, blown to bombastic portions in Russian chronicles. And in
Swedish chronicles not mentioned at all. It might just have been a
skirmish with some Swedish adventures who tried to seize the opportunity.)
> * D. Canadiana / Geography
>
> D1. Among Canadian cities with a population over 500,000,
> which has on average the coldest winters?

Edmonton
> D2. The locality in Canada with the heaviest annual snowfall,
> averaging 637.9 cm, or 21 feet, is Woody Point, population
> 282. In which province is Woody Point?

Newfoundland
> * E. Sports: Winter Olympics
>
> E1. In the history of the Winter Olympics, from 1924 to 2022,
> which country has won the most gold medals and the most
> medals overall?

Norway
> E2. What country has hosted the greatest number of Winter
> Olympic Games?

USA
> * F. Science
>
> F1. During the period from approximately 1300 to 1850, average
> global temperatures dropped by as much as 2°C, particularly
> in North America and Europe. By what name is this period
> commonly known?

Little ice age
> F2. What is the scientific word for the study of the behavior
> of materials at very low temperatures? It derives from
> the Greek word for frost.

Cryogenics

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challenge

<ur5sud$5n9$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6018&group=rec.games.trivia#6018

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:19:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:19 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - History - Dark Corners of the '50s

> 1. The democratic government of this country nationalized its oil
> and was consequently toppled in a UK/US-organized coup in 1953.
> The authoritarian regime that followed stayed in place until
> February 1979. Which country?

Iran

> 2. In 1954, another CIA-orchestrated coup replaced the democratic
> government of Jacobo ?rbenz with a long-lasting dictatorship.
> In which Latin-American country did that happen?

Guatemala; Honduras

> 3. A fight for independence in this African colony lasted from
> 1952 to 1960 and claimed 15,000 to 20,000 lives, including those
> of more than 1,000 supposed rebels executed by the British.
> What then-colony?

Kenya

> 4. What war, waged from June 1950 to July 1953, cost between
> 2,500,000 and 3,000,000 lives?

Korean War

> 5. 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 deaths resulted from a war of
> independence, which lasted from 1954 to 1962 and brought about
> the end of the French Fourth Republic. Name the then-colony.

Algeria

> 6. Which Soviet leader sent in the tanks to crush the Hungarian
> rebellion in 1956?

Khrushchev

> 7. In 1953, a strongman overthrew democracy in Cuba and ruled as
> a corrupt and murderous dictator till 1959. He was born Reub?n
> Zald?var, but is better known by his chosen name, which is what?

Batista

> 8. From 1955 to 1959 the UK used torture and execution against
> insurgents in one of their colonies. A peculiarity of this
> struggle: the rebels were not fighting for independence, but
> for the right to join another European country. Name the island
> where this happened.

Cyprus

> 9. The Castle Bravo test of a hydrogen bomb on 1954-03-01 resulted
> in radiation injury to Japanese fishermen, Pacific islanders,
> and American technicians as far as 100 miles away. Name the
> atoll where the test took place.

Bikini

> 10. In 1959, a particularly brutal secret police was established
> to terrorize and dispose of folks the dictator disliked. What
> country was home to "Uncle Gunnysack"; i.e., the Tonton Macoutes?

Haiti

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Winter Challenge Round

> * A. Literature

> A1. Maxim de Winter, the master of Manderley, is the brooding
> male protagonist of which classic novel of mystery and
> suspense?

Rebecca

> A2. Which Shakespeare play opens with these lines?

> "Now is the winter of our discontent
> made glorious summer by this sun of York"

Richard III

> * B. Military History

> B1. When Napoleon and his army entered the abandoned city of
> Moscow in September 1812, it was their intention to spend
> the winter there. What prevented them?

lack of food

> B2. The Battle of Lake Peipus, fought in April 1242, is known as
> the Battle on the Ice for the fact that much of it was fought
> on a frozen lake. On the losing side of the battle were
> the Teutonic Knights. Who was the hero of the Russian side?

Alexander Nevsky

> * D. Canadiana / Geography

> D1. Among Canadian cities with a population over 500,000,
> which has on average the coldest winters?

Winnipeg

> D2. The locality in Canada with the heaviest annual snowfall,
> averaging 637.9 cm, or 21 feet, is Woody Point, population
> 282. In which province is Woody Point?

Ontario

> * E. Sports: Winter Olympics

> E1. In the history of the Winter Olympics, from 1924 to 2022,
> which country has won the most gold medals and the most
> medals overall?

USA

> E2. What country has hosted the greatest number of Winter
> Olympic Games?

Norway

> * F. Science

> F1. During the period from approximately 1300 to 1850, average
> global temperatures dropped by as much as 2?C, particularly
> in North America and Europe. By what name is this period
> commonly known?

Little Ice Age

> F2. What is the scientific word for the study of the behavior
> of materials at very low temperatures? It derives from
> the Greek word for frost.

cryology

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challenge

<2614037a-a2c1-48c0-9ae9-8d238dffc7dbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6020&group=rec.games.trivia#6020

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:54:02 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen.w.perry@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 23:54 UTC

On Wednesday, February 21, 2024 at 3:14:57 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-01-29,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
> of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - History - Dark Corners of the '50s
>
> For many, the 1950s were a decade of peace and prosperity. But not
> everyone was so fortunate.

ok, show of hands, how many of you were alive in the 50s? ok, how about the 1850s?

> 1. The democratic government of this country nationalized its oil
> and was consequently toppled in a UK/US-organized coup in 1953.
> The authoritarian regime that followed stayed in place until
> February 1979. Which country?

iran

> 2. In 1954, another CIA-orchestrated coup replaced the democratic
> government of Jacobo Árbenz with a long-lasting dictatorship.
> In which Latin-American country did that happen?

guatemala

> 3. A fight for independence in this African colony lasted from
> 1952 to 1960 and claimed 15,000 to 20,000 lives, including those
> of more than 1,000 supposed rebels executed by the British.
> What then-colony?

kenya [the mau mau rebellion]

> 4. What war, waged from June 1950 to July 1953, cost between
> 2,500,000 and 3,000,000 lives?

korean war?

> 5. 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 deaths resulted from a war of
> independence, which lasted from 1954 to 1962 and brought about
> the end of the French Fourth Republic. Name the then-colony.

algeria

> 6. Which Soviet leader sent in the tanks to crush the Hungarian
> rebellion in 1956?

nikita khrushchev

> 7. In 1953, a strongman overthrew democracy in Cuba and ruled as
> a corrupt and murderous dictator till 1959. He was born Reubén
> Zaldívar, but is better known by his chosen name, which is what?

batista [no relation to the professional wrestler, I hope]

> 8. From 1955 to 1959 the UK used torture and execution against
> insurgents in one of their colonies. A peculiarity of this
> struggle: the rebels were not fighting for independence, but
> for the right to join another European country. Name the island
> where this happened.

cyprus

> 9. The Castle Bravo test of a hydrogen bomb on 1954-03-01 resulted
> in radiation injury to Japanese fishermen, Pacific islanders,
> and American technicians as far as 100 miles away. Name the
> atoll where the test took place.

bikini atoll

> 10. In 1959, a particularly brutal secret police was established
> to terrorize and dispose of folks the dictator disliked. What
> country was home to "Uncle Gunnysack"; i.e., the Tonton Macoutes?

haiti

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Winter Challenge Round
>
> * A. Literature
>
> A1. Maxim de Winter, the master of Manderley, is the brooding
> male protagonist of which classic novel of mystery and
> suspense?

rebecca

> A2. Which Shakespeare play opens with these lines?
>
> "Now is the winter of our discontent
> made glorious summer by this sun of York"

richard iii

> * B. Military History
>
> B1. When Napoleon and his army entered the abandoned city of
> Moscow in September 1812, it was their intention to spend
> the winter there. What prevented them?

numerous reasons, there were no officials to sue for peace,
no food or supplies, and fires were set city-wide so there would
be no shelter from the approaching winter

> B2. The Battle of Lake Peipus, fought in April 1242, is known as
> the Battle on the Ice for the fact that much of it was fought
> on a frozen lake. On the losing side of the battle were
> the Teutonic Knights. Who was the hero of the Russian side?

nevsky?

> * C. Entertainment
>
> C1. Who wrote and sang the song "Hazy Shade of Winter"?

simon and garfunkel

> C2. Name the country music legend known for introducing Elvis
> Presley to Colonel Tom Parker.

bob neal

> * D. Canadiana / Geography
>
> D1. Among Canadian cities with a population over 500,000,
> which has on average the coldest winters?

winnipeg?

> D2. The locality in Canada with the heaviest annual snowfall,
> averaging 637.9 cm, or 21 feet, is Woody Point, population
> 282. In which province is Woody Point?

newfoundland and labrador

> * E. Sports: Winter Olympics
>
> E1. In the history of the Winter Olympics, from 1924 to 2022,
> which country has won the most gold medals and the most
> medals overall?

united states

> E2. What country has hosted the greatest number of Winter
> Olympic Games?

united states

> * F. Science
>
> F1. During the period from approximately 1300 to 1850, average
> global temperatures dropped by as much as 2°C, particularly
> in North America and Europe. By what name is this period
> commonly known?

little ice age

> F2. What is the scientific word for the study of the behavior
> of materials at very low temperatures? It derives from
> the Greek word for frost.

cryogenics

> --
> Mark Brader | "I can direct dial today a man my parents warred with.
> Toronto | They wanted to kill him, I want to sell software to him."
> m...@vex.net | -- Brad Templeton
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, in what is likely my final post from google groups

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challenge

<c06b596c-c3c8-41c6-9c56-821f4d26518en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6022&group=rec.games.trivia#6022

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:01:51 -0800 (PST)
From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 05:01 UTC

On Wednesday, February 21, 2024 at 2:14:57 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - History - Dark Corners of the '50s
>
> For many, the 1950s were a decade of peace and prosperity. But not
> everyone was so fortunate.
>
> 1. The democratic government of this country nationalized its oil
> and was consequently toppled in a UK/US-organized coup in 1953.
> The authoritarian regime that followed stayed in place until
> February 1979. Which country?

Iran

> 2. In 1954, another CIA-orchestrated coup replaced the democratic
> government of Jacobo Árbenz with a long-lasting dictatorship.
> In which Latin-American country did that happen?

Argentina; Chile

> 3. A fight for independence in this African colony lasted from
> 1952 to 1960 and claimed 15,000 to 20,000 lives, including those
> of more than 1,000 supposed rebels executed by the British.
> What then-colony?

Nigeria; Gold Coast

> 4. What war, waged from June 1950 to July 1953, cost between
> 2,500,000 and 3,000,000 lives?

Korean War

> 5. 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 deaths resulted from a war of
> independence, which lasted from 1954 to 1962 and brought about
> the end of the French Fourth Republic. Name the then-colony.

Algeria

> 6. Which Soviet leader sent in the tanks to crush the Hungarian
> rebellion in 1956?

Khrushchev

> 7. In 1953, a strongman overthrew democracy in Cuba and ruled as
> a corrupt and murderous dictator till 1959. He was born Reubén
> Zaldívar, but is better known by his chosen name, which is what?

Batista

> 8. From 1955 to 1959 the UK used torture and execution against
> insurgents in one of their colonies. A peculiarity of this
> struggle: the rebels were not fighting for independence, but
> for the right to join another European country. Name the island
> where this happened.

Cyprus

> 9. The Castle Bravo test of a hydrogen bomb on 1954-03-01 resulted
> in radiation injury to Japanese fishermen, Pacific islanders,
> and American technicians as far as 100 miles away. Name the
> atoll where the test took place.

Bikini Atoll

> 10. In 1959, a particularly brutal secret police was established
> to terrorize and dispose of folks the dictator disliked. What
> country was home to "Uncle Gunnysack"; i.e., the Tonton Macoutes?

Haiti

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Winter Challenge Round
>
> * A. Literature
>
> A1. Maxim de Winter, the master of Manderley, is the brooding
> male protagonist of which classic novel of mystery and
> suspense?

"Rebecca"

> A2. Which Shakespeare play opens with these lines?
>
> "Now is the winter of our discontent
> made glorious summer by this sun of York"

"Richard III"
> * C. Entertainment
>
> C1. Who wrote and sang the song "Hazy Shade of Winter"?

Paul Simon
> * D. Canadiana / Geography
>
> D1. Among Canadian cities with a population over 500,000,
> which has on average the coldest winters?

Edmonton; Calgary
> D2. The locality in Canada with the heaviest annual snowfall,
> averaging 637.9 cm, or 21 feet, is Woody Point, population
> 282. In which province is Woody Point?

Alberta; Saskatchewan

> * E. Sports: Winter Olympics
>
> E1. In the history of the Winter Olympics, from 1924 to 2022,
> which country has won the most gold medals and the most
> medals overall?

Norway

> E2. What country has hosted the greatest number of Winter
> Olympic Games?

USA

> * F. Science
>
> F1. During the period from approximately 1300 to 1850, average
> global temperatures dropped by as much as 2°C, particularly
> in North America and Europe. By what name is this period
> commonly known?

Little Ice Age

> F2. What is the scientific word for the study of the behavior
> of materials at very low temperatures? It derives from
> the Greek word for frost.

cryology

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: '50s darkness, winter challenge

<ur6ooi$3msr1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6023&group=rec.games.trivia#6023

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:14:39 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 06:14 UTC

On 2/21/24 12:14, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - History - Dark Corners of the '50s
>
> For many, the 1950s were a decade of peace and prosperity. But not
> everyone was so fortunate.
>
> 1. The democratic government of this country nationalized its oil
> and was consequently toppled in a UK/US-organized coup in 1953.
> The authoritarian regime that followed stayed in place until
> February 1979. Which country?

Iran

> 2. In 1954, another CIA-orchestrated coup replaced the democratic
> government of Jacobo Árbenz with a long-lasting dictatorship.
> In which Latin-American country did that happen?

Bolivia; Colombia

> 3. A fight for independence in this African colony lasted from
> 1952 to 1960 and claimed 15,000 to 20,000 lives, including those
> of more than 1,000 supposed rebels executed by the British.
> What then-colony?

Kenya

> 4. What war, waged from June 1950 to July 1953, cost between
> 2,500,000 and 3,000,000 lives?

Korean War

> 5. 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 deaths resulted from a war of
> independence, which lasted from 1954 to 1962 and brought about
> the end of the French Fourth Republic. Name the then-colony.

Algeria

> 6. Which Soviet leader sent in the tanks to crush the Hungarian
> rebellion in 1956?

Khrushchev

> 7. In 1953, a strongman overthrew democracy in Cuba and ruled as
> a corrupt and murderous dictator till 1959. He was born Reubén
> Zaldívar, but is better known by his chosen name, which is what?

Batista

> 8. From 1955 to 1959 the UK used torture and execution against
> insurgents in one of their colonies. A peculiarity of this
> struggle: the rebels were not fighting for independence, but
> for the right to join another European country. Name the island
> where this happened.

Cyprus

> 9. The Castle Bravo test of a hydrogen bomb on 1954-03-01 resulted
> in radiation injury to Japanese fishermen, Pacific islanders,
> and American technicians as far as 100 miles away. Name the
> atoll where the test took place.

Bikini

> 10. In 1959, a particularly brutal secret police was established
> to terrorize and dispose of folks the dictator disliked. What
> country was home to "Uncle Gunnysack"; i.e., the Tonton Macoutes?
>

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Winter Challenge Round
>
> * A. Literature
>
> A1. Maxim de Winter, the master of Manderley, is the brooding
> male protagonist of which classic novel of mystery and
> suspense?
>
> A2. Which Shakespeare play opens with these lines?
>
> "Now is the winter of our discontent
> made glorious summer by this sun of York"

Richard III

> * B. Military History
>
> B1. When Napoleon and his army entered the abandoned city of
> Moscow in September 1812, it was their intention to spend
> the winter there. What prevented them?

The Russians had set fire to all the buildings

> B2. The Battle of Lake Peipus, fought in April 1242, is known as
> the Battle on the Ice for the fact that much of it was fought
> on a frozen lake. On the losing side of the battle were
> the Teutonic Knights. Who was the hero of the Russian side?
>

> * C. Entertainment
>
> C1. Who wrote and sang the song "Hazy Shade of Winter"?

Paul Simon

> C2. Name the country music legend known for introducing Elvis
> Presley to Colonel Tom Parker.
>

> * D. Canadiana / Geography
>
> D1. Among Canadian cities with a population over 500,000,
> which has on average the coldest winters?

Edmonton

> D2. The locality in Canada with the heaviest annual snowfall,
> averaging 637.9 cm, or 21 feet, is Woody Point, population
> 282. In which province is Woody Point?

BC

> * E. Sports: Winter Olympics
>
> E1. In the history of the Winter Olympics, from 1924 to 2022,
> which country has won the most gold medals and the most
> medals overall?

Norway

> E2. What country has hosted the greatest number of Winter
> Olympic Games?

United States

> * F. Science
>
> F1. During the period from approximately 1300 to 1850, average
> global temperatures dropped by as much as 2°C, particularly
> in North America and Europe. By what name is this period
> commonly known?

Little Ice Age

--
Dan Tilque

QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: '50s darkness, winter challenge

<Zb6dnalJIfmt-Uf4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6026&group=rec.games.trivia#6026

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: '50s darkness, winter challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 21:48:32 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 21:48 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-01-29,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 1 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Hearty
congratulations!

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - History - Dark Corners of the '50s

> For many, the 1950s were a decade of peace and prosperity. But not
> everyone was so fortunate.

> 1. The democratic government of this country nationalized its oil
> and was consequently toppled in a UK/US-organized coup in 1953.
> The authoritarian regime that followed stayed in place until
> February 1979. Which country?

Iran. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. In 1954, another CIA-orchestrated coup replaced the democratic
> government of Jacobo Árbenz with a long-lasting dictatorship.
> In which Latin-American country did that happen?

Guatemala. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 3. A fight for independence in this African colony lasted from
> 1952 to 1960 and claimed 15,000 to 20,000 lives, including those
> of more than 1,000 supposed rebels executed by the British.
> What then-colony?

Kenya. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. What war, waged from June 1950 to July 1953, cost between
> 2,500,000 and 3,000,000 lives?

The Korean War. 4 for everyone.

> 5. 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 deaths resulted from a war of
> independence, which lasted from 1954 to 1962 and brought about
> the end of the French Fourth Republic. Name the then-colony.

Algeria. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Which Soviet leader sent in the tanks to crush the Hungarian
> rebullion in 1956?

Nikita Khrushchev. 4 for everyone.

> 7. In 1953, a strongman overthrew democracy in Cuba and ruled as
> a corrupt and murderous dictator till 1959. He was born Reubén
> Zaldívar, but is better known by his chosen name, which is what?

Fulgencio Batista. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. From 1955 to 1959 the UK used torture and execution against
> insurgents in one of their colonies. A peculiarity of this
> struggle: the rebels were not fighting for independence, but
> for the right to join another European country. Name the island
> where this happened.

Cyprus. (The rebels wanted to join Greece.) 4 for everyone.

> 9. The Castle Bravo test of a hydrogen bomb on 1954-03-01 resulted
> in radiation injury to Japanese fishermen, Pacific islanders,
> and American technicians as far as 100 miles away. Name the
> atoll where the test took place.

Bikini. 4 for everyone.

> 10. In 1959, a particularly brutal secret police was established
> to terrorize and dispose of folks the dictator disliked. What
> country was home to "Uncle Gunnysack"; i.e., the Tonton Macoutes?

Haiti. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Winter Challenge Round

> * A. Literature

> A1. Maxim de Winter, the master of Manderley, is the brooding
> male protagonist of which classic novel of mystery and
> suspense?

"Rebecca". (By Daphne duMaurier.) 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Joshua.

> A2. Which Shakespeare play opens with these lines?

> "Now is the winter of our discontent
> made glorious summer by this sun of York"

"Richard III". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * B. Military History

> B1. When Napoleon and his army entered the abandoned city of
> Moscow in September 1812, it was their intention to spend
> the winter there. What prevented them?

The Russians had burned the city down. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> B2. The Battle of Lake Peipus, fought in April 1242, is known as
> the Battle on the Ice for the fact that much of it was fought
> on a frozen lake. On the losing side of the battle were
> the Teutonic Knights. Who was the hero of the Russian side?

Alexander Nevsky. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> * C. Entertainment

> C1. Who wrote and sang the song "Hazy Shade of Winter"?

Written by Paul Simon, sung by Simon and Garfunkel. Accepting either.
4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> C2. Name the country music legend known for introducing Elvis
> Presley to Colonel Tom Parker.

Hank Snow.

> * D. Canadiana / Geography

> D1. Among Canadian cities with a population over 500,000,
> which has on average the coldest winters?

Winnipeg. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

See: http://weather.gc.ca/data/saisons/images/clim_stn_djf_temp.gif

> D2. The locality in Canada with the heaviest annual snowfall,
> averaging 637.9 cm, or 21 feet, is Woody Point, population
> 282. In which province is Woody Point?

Newfoundland and Labrador. (It's in Gros Morne National Park).
4 for Erland and Stephen.

> * E. Sports: Winter Olympics

> E1. In the history of the Winter Olympics, from 1924 to 2022,
> which country has won the most gold medals and the most
> medals overall?

Norway. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> E2. What country has hosted the greatest number of Winter
> Olympic Games?

The United States. (1932, 1960, 1980, 2002). 4 for Erland, Stephen,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

France comes next with 3: 1924, 1968, 1992. Italy is scheduled
to reach 3 in 2026.

> * F. Science

> F1. During the period from approximately 1300 to 1850, average
> global temperatures dropped by as much as 2°C, particularly
> in North America and Europe. By what name is this period
> commonly known?

The Little Ice Age. 4 for everyone.

> F2. What is the scientific word for the study of the behavior
> of materials at very low temperatures? It derives from
> the Greek word for frost.

Cryogenics. 4 for Erland and Stephen.

"Cryology" is from the same Greek root, but means the study of ice,
snow, etc. in the environment, or of refrigeration.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Spo Ent Aud Sci Geo Lit His Cha SEVEN
Joshua Kreitzer 16 9 20 40 10 36 35 32 24 203
Dan Blum 24 4 8 0 4 32 28 39 20 155
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- -- 36 40 40 36 152
Dan Tilque 12 4 4 4 28 36 8 32 24 144
Erland Sommarskog 4 0 0 8 4 20 0 28 24 88

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I may be ranting, but I'm right!"
msb@vex.net -- Wojeck: Out of the Fire

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: '50s darkness, winter challenge

<XnsB122C27FB940Fstephenwperrygmailco@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6029&group=rec.games.trivia#6029

From: swp@gmail.com (swp)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 00:07:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: swp - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 00:07 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Zb6dnalJIfmt-
Uf4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com:

> Mark Brader:
>> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-01-29,
>> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
>> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
>> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> Game 1 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Hearty
> congratulations!

congratulations Joshua, well done.

>> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Winter Challenge Round
>
>> * B. Military History
>
>> B1. When Napoleon and his army entered the abandoned city of
>> Moscow in September 1812, it was their intention to spend
>> the winter there. What prevented them?
>
> The Russians had burned the city down. 4 for Dan Tilque.

protest..

I noted that among the many reasons, setting buildings on fire was only 1
of them

>> * C. Entertainment
>
>> C1. Who wrote and sang the song "Hazy Shade of Winter"?
>
> Written by Paul Simon, sung by Simon and Garfunkel. Accepting either.
> 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
>
>> C2. Name the country music legend known for introducing Elvis
>> Presley to Colonel Tom Parker.
>
> Hank Snow.

huh. I'll gave to look that up.

swp

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: '50s darkness, winter challenge

<OAWdnfizpuc5Ckf4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6030&group=rec.games.trivia#6030

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 01:28:04 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 01:28 UTC

Stephen Perry:
> protest..

Denied.
--
Mark Brader | "Basically, what I *really* want is the USENET of the 1980s
Toronto | without the high long-distance telephone bills."