Rotten wood cannot be carved. -- Confucius, "Analects", Book 5, Ch. 9

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician lit

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician litMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician litDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician litJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician litPete Gayde
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician litDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician litErland Sommarskog
`* QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: intangible heritage, musician litMark Brader
 `* Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: intangible heritage, musician litErland Sommarskog
  `- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: intangible heritage, musician litMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician lit

<G9adnV8LiYMs-Ef4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6027&group=rec.games.trivia#6027

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician lit
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 21:54:57 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 21:54 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage

We're all familiar with UNESCO's World Heritage Sites, but UNESCO
also has a registry of cultural activities that exemplify a
national culture and form a part of world heritage -- everything
from loincloth weaving in Côte d'Ivoire to opera training in Italy.

In each case we'll give the intangible, and you tell what *country*
that has been granted the designation.

1. Kirkpinar Oil Wrestling Festival: a tradition in this country
since 1360.

2. Capoeira dance: a mixed style of fighting and dancing.

3. Gamelan: a traditional percussion orchestra using hand-forged
metal gongs, cymbals, and other percussives.

4. Castells: these are human towers built by people, usually at
drunken festivals, standing on each other's shoulders up
to 35 feet.

5. Hurling: a field sport between two teams, dating back 2000 years.

6. Cultural practices pertaining to the production and consumption
of couscous: these are traditional ceremonies surrounding the
preparation of this delicious dish.

7. Washi: a traditional paper-making technique using the fibers
of the mulberry plant.

8. Rumba: music and dance combining elements of African, Antillean,
and Spanish cultures.

9. Sauna culture: an integral part of the daily lives of the people
of this nation.

10. The culture of borscht cooking: memorialized in tradition and
song in this country.

* Game 2, Round 3 - Literature - Musicians Who Write

A round about artists that are best known as musicians, but who have
produced poetry or prose works (excluding memoirs). In each case
name that artist/writer.

1. This American author, musician, and self-described
"bluesologist", took two years off university to write "The
Vulture", the first of two novels, and received an MA in creative
writing in 1972. His poetry covered issues like race relations
in the US, consumerism, hypocrisy, and ignorance, and morphed
into spoken-word recordings, the most famous of which was
"The Revolution Will Not Be Televised".

2. She is the co-author of a manga series about Princess Ai, a
winged amnesiac alien who finds herself in Tokyo. The character,
just like the author, is a rock star in love with a sensitive
musician. The author is best known as the lead singer of 1990's
grunge band Hole, and for her relationship with one the grunge
genre's leading lights.

3. This American-born musician's interest in Kabbalah inspired her
to write a series of 7 children's picture books, beginning with
2003's "The English Roses". She later co-wrote 12 chapter books
based on the original "English Roses" characters. Musically,
she rose to fame in 1983 with a self-titled studio album and
is known for her constant reinvention.

4. This British singer with a single name rose to fame in the
1980s fronting a band which specialized in angst-filled
lyrics about sexual longing and isolation over a jangly guitar
background. He went solo in 1988. His memoir was well received,
but his 2015 novel "List of the Lost" received negative reviews
and a Literary Review Bad Sex in Fiction award.

5. This American songwriter and folk musician wrote a novel in
1947 not published until 2013, titled "House of Earth", about
the life of a couple in Dust Bowl America, which is unsurprising
as he was known as "The Dust Bowl Troubadour". His 1943 novel
"Bound for Glory", a fictionalized autobiography, was much better
received and made into a movie in 1976 with David Carradine as
the folk singer.

6. This American pop musician with a cult following was living in
Key West and wanted to write a book that would read easily while
sitting on the beach. The result was the 1992 novel, "Where is
Joe Merchant?" He has written 7 books in total, including a 1989
short-story collection about laid-back living, aging beach bums,
and adventurers -- all the themes he sings about.

7. This British-American dramatist wrote the book or score -- and
sometimes both -- for many award-winning musicals of the last
40 years, including "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". He adapted
Grisham's novel "A Time to Kill" for the stage in 2011.
He published his first novel "Where the Truth Lies" in 2003
and his second novel last year. But, sadly, he'll be best
remembered for his 1979 hit song about a man who takes out a
personal ad to escape his boring marriage.

8. She is a flamboyant, immediately recognizable country musician
with a decades-long career and 3,000 songwriting credits,
who has also written cookbooks, children's books, memoirs,
and collections of poetry and lyrics. She joined thriller
writer James Paterson in writing the 2022 novel "Run, Rose,
Run", about a singer who arrives in Nashville trying to escape
her past.

9. This Canadian musician was a published writer before he released
any music, having released two poetry collections and two
novels by 1966. In 1967 he moved to New York to begin a fabled
songwriting career. A collection of short stories, a novella,
and a play was published in 2022, six years after his death.

10. This Scottish-born American frontman for a popular new wave-
post-punk art band of the late 70's and '80s was known for his
interesting lyrics and for riding a bicycle as his primary
means of transport. He wrote an interesting 2010 manifesto
about cycling, "Bicycle Diaries", recounting his thoughts as
he pedaled around major cities. Hopefully his big suit didn't
get in the way.

--
Mark Brader | "...having compressed some 300 million years into
Toronto | two paragraphs, I have left out some details."

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician lit

<urduuc$giv$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6028&group=rec.games.trivia#6028

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 23:43:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 23:43 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage

> 1. Kirkpinar Oil Wrestling Festival: a tradition in this country
> since 1360.

Turkey

> 2. Capoeira dance: a mixed style of fighting and dancing.

Brazil

> 3. Gamelan: a traditional percussion orchestra using hand-forged
> metal gongs, cymbals, and other percussives.

Indonesia

> 4. Castells: these are human towers built by people, usually at
> drunken festivals, standing on each other's shoulders up
> to 35 feet.

Spain

> 5. Hurling: a field sport between two teams, dating back 2000 years.

Ireland

> 6. Cultural practices pertaining to the production and consumption
> of couscous: these are traditional ceremonies surrounding the
> preparation of this delicious dish.

Morocco

> 7. Washi: a traditional paper-making technique using the fibers
> of the mulberry plant.

Japan

> 8. Rumba: music and dance combining elements of African, Antillean,
> and Spanish cultures.

Cuba

> 9. Sauna culture: an integral part of the daily lives of the people
> of this nation.

Finland

> 10. The culture of borscht cooking: memorialized in tradition and
> song in this country.

Russia

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Literature - Musicians Who Write

> 2. She is the co-author of a manga series about Princess Ai, a
> winged amnesiac alien who finds herself in Tokyo. The character,
> just like the author, is a rock star in love with a sensitive
> musician. The author is best known as the lead singer of 1990's
> grunge band Hole, and for her relationship with one the grunge
> genre's leading lights.

Courtney Love

> 3. This American-born musician's interest in Kabbalah inspired her
> to write a series of 7 children's picture books, beginning with
> 2003's "The English Roses". She later co-wrote 12 chapter books
> based on the original "English Roses" characters. Musically,
> she rose to fame in 1983 with a self-titled studio album and
> is known for her constant reinvention.

Madonna

> 4. This British singer with a single name rose to fame in the
> 1980s fronting a band which specialized in angst-filled
> lyrics about sexual longing and isolation over a jangly guitar
> background. He went solo in 1988. His memoir was well received,
> but his 2015 novel "List of the Lost" received negative reviews
> and a Literary Review Bad Sex in Fiction award.

Morissey

> 5. This American songwriter and folk musician wrote a novel in
> 1947 not published until 2013, titled "House of Earth", about
> the life of a couple in Dust Bowl America, which is unsurprising
> as he was known as "The Dust Bowl Troubadour". His 1943 novel
> "Bound for Glory", a fictionalized autobiography, was much better
> received and made into a movie in 1976 with David Carradine as
> the folk singer.

Woody Guthrie

> 6. This American pop musician with a cult following was living in
> Key West and wanted to write a book that would read easily while
> sitting on the beach. The result was the 1992 novel, "Where is
> Joe Merchant?" He has written 7 books in total, including a 1989
> short-story collection about laid-back living, aging beach bums,
> and adventurers -- all the themes he sings about.

Jimmy Buffett

> 8. She is a flamboyant, immediately recognizable country musician
> with a decades-long career and 3,000 songwriting credits,
> who has also written cookbooks, children's books, memoirs,
> and collections of poetry and lyrics. She joined thriller
> writer James Paterson in writing the 2022 novel "Run, Rose,
> Run", about a singer who arrives in Nashville trying to escape
> her past.

Dolly Parton

> 10. This Scottish-born American frontman for a popular new wave-
> post-punk art band of the late 70's and '80s was known for his
> interesting lyrics and for riding a bicycle as his primary
> means of transport. He wrote an interesting 2010 manifesto
> about cycling, "Bicycle Diaries", recounting his thoughts as
> he pedaled around major cities. Hopefully his big suit didn't
> get in the way.

David Byrne

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician lit

<urehfi$1m2rg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6031&group=rec.games.trivia#6031

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 22:59:28 -0600
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 04:59 UTC

Hopefully this will work, as I am now using Thunderbird and
Eternal-September instead of Google Groups.

On 2/24/2024 3:54 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage
>
> We're all familiar with UNESCO's World Heritage Sites, but UNESCO
> also has a registry of cultural activities that exemplify a
> national culture and form a part of world heritage -- everything
> from loincloth weaving in Côte d'Ivoire to opera training in Italy.
>
> In each case we'll give the intangible, and you tell what *country*
> that has been granted the designation.
>
> 1. Kirkpinar Oil Wrestling Festival: a tradition in this country
> since 1360.

Mongolia

> 2. Capoeira dance: a mixed style of fighting and dancing.

Brazil

> 3. Gamelan: a traditional percussion orchestra using hand-forged
> metal gongs, cymbals, and other percussives.

Indonesia

> 4. Castells: these are human towers built by people, usually at
> drunken festivals, standing on each other's shoulders up
> to 35 feet.

Spain

> 5. Hurling: a field sport between two teams, dating back 2000 years.

Ireland

> 6. Cultural practices pertaining to the production and consumption
> of couscous: these are traditional ceremonies surrounding the
> preparation of this delicious dish.

Morocco; Algeria

> 7. Washi: a traditional paper-making technique using the fibers
> of the mulberry plant.

Japan

> 8. Rumba: music and dance combining elements of African, Antillean,
> and Spanish cultures.

Cuba

> 9. Sauna culture: an integral part of the daily lives of the people
> of this nation.

Finland

> 10. The culture of borscht cooking: memorialized in tradition and
> song in this country.

Ukraine; Russia

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Literature - Musicians Who Write
>
> A round about artists that are best known as musicians, but who have
> produced poetry or prose works (excluding memoirs). In each case
> name that artist/writer.
>
> 1. This American author, musician, and self-described
> "bluesologist", took two years off university to write "The
> Vulture", the first of two novels, and received an MA in creative
> writing in 1972. His poetry covered issues like race relations
> in the US, consumerism, hypocrisy, and ignorance, and morphed
> into spoken-word recordings, the most famous of which was
> "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised".

Scott-Heron

> 2. She is the co-author of a manga series about Princess Ai, a
> winged amnesiac alien who finds herself in Tokyo. The character,
> just like the author, is a rock star in love with a sensitive
> musician. The author is best known as the lead singer of 1990's
> grunge band Hole, and for her relationship with one the grunge
> genre's leading lights.

Courtney Love

> 3. This American-born musician's interest in Kabbalah inspired her
> to write a series of 7 children's picture books, beginning with
> 2003's "The English Roses". She later co-wrote 12 chapter books
> based on the original "English Roses" characters. Musically,
> she rose to fame in 1983 with a self-titled studio album and
> is known for her constant reinvention.

Madonna

> 4. This British singer with a single name rose to fame in the
> 1980s fronting a band which specialized in angst-filled
> lyrics about sexual longing and isolation over a jangly guitar
> background. He went solo in 1988. His memoir was well received,
> but his 2015 novel "List of the Lost" received negative reviews
> and a Literary Review Bad Sex in Fiction award.

Morrissey

> 5. This American songwriter and folk musician wrote a novel in
> 1947 not published until 2013, titled "House of Earth", about
> the life of a couple in Dust Bowl America, which is unsurprising
> as he was known as "The Dust Bowl Troubadour". His 1943 novel
> "Bound for Glory", a fictionalized autobiography, was much better
> received and made into a movie in 1976 with David Carradine as
> the folk singer.

Woody Guthrie

> 6. This American pop musician with a cult following was living in
> Key West and wanted to write a book that would read easily while
> sitting on the beach. The result was the 1992 novel, "Where is
> Joe Merchant?" He has written 7 books in total, including a 1989
> short-story collection about laid-back living, aging beach bums,
> and adventurers -- all the themes he sings about.

Jimmy Buffett

> 7. This British-American dramatist wrote the book or score -- and
> sometimes both -- for many award-winning musicals of the last
> 40 years, including "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". He adapted
> Grisham's novel "A Time to Kill" for the stage in 2011.
> He published his first novel "Where the Truth Lies" in 2003
> and his second novel last year. But, sadly, he'll be best
> remembered for his 1979 hit song about a man who takes out a
> personal ad to escape his boring marriage.

Rupert Holmes

> 8. She is a flamboyant, immediately recognizable country musician
> with a decades-long career and 3,000 songwriting credits,
> who has also written cookbooks, children's books, memoirs,
> and collections of poetry and lyrics. She joined thriller
> writer James Paterson in writing the 2022 novel "Run, Rose,
> Run", about a singer who arrives in Nashville trying to escape
> her past.

Dolly Parton

> 9. This Canadian musician was a published writer before he released
> any music, having released two poetry collections and two
> novels by 1966. In 1967 he moved to New York to begin a fabled
> songwriting career. A collection of short stories, a novella,
> and a play was published in 2022, six years after his death.

Leonard Cohen

> 10. This Scottish-born American frontman for a popular new wave-
> post-punk art band of the late 70's and '80s was known for his
> interesting lyrics and for riding a bicycle as his primary
> means of transport. He wrote an interesting 2010 manifesto
> about cycling, "Bicycle Diaries", recounting his thoughts as
> he pedaled around major cities. Hopefully his big suit didn't
> get in the way.

David Byrne

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician lit

<ureonc$1ng2m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6032&group=rec.games.trivia#6032

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 01:03:07 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 07:03 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-05,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
> of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage
>
> We're all familiar with UNESCO's World Heritage Sites, but UNESCO
> also has a registry of cultural activities that exemplify a
> national culture and form a part of world heritage -- everything
> from loincloth weaving in Côte d'Ivoire to opera training in Italy.
>
> In each case we'll give the intangible, and you tell what *country*
> that has been granted the designation.
>
> 1. Kirkpinar Oil Wrestling Festival: a tradition in this country
> since 1360.
>
> 2. Capoeira dance: a mixed style of fighting and dancing.

Portugal; Brazil

> 3. Gamelan: a traditional percussion orchestra using hand-forged
> metal gongs, cymbals, and other percussives.

Indonesia

> 4. Castells: these are human towers built by people, usually at
> drunken festivals, standing on each other's shoulders up
> to 35 feet.
>
> 5. Hurling: a field sport between two teams, dating back 2000 years.

Ireland

> 6. Cultural practices pertaining to the production and consumption
> of couscous: these are traditional ceremonies surrounding the
> preparation of this delicious dish.

Morocco

> 7. Washi: a traditional paper-making technique using the fibers
> of the mulberry plant.
>
> 8. Rumba: music and dance combining elements of African, Antillean,
> and Spanish cultures.

Brazil

> 9. Sauna culture: an integral part of the daily lives of the people
> of this nation.

Finland

> 10. The culture of borscht cooking: memorialized in tradition and
> song in this country.

Russia; Ukraine

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Literature - Musicians Who Write
>
> A round about artists that are best known as musicians, but who have
> produced poetry or prose works (excluding memoirs). In each case
> name that artist/writer.
>
> 1. This American author, musician, and self-described
> "bluesologist", took two years off university to write "The
> Vulture", the first of two novels, and received an MA in creative
> writing in 1972. His poetry covered issues like race relations
> in the US, consumerism, hypocrisy, and ignorance, and morphed
> into spoken-word recordings, the most famous of which was
> "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised".

Gil Scott Heron

> 2. She is the co-author of a manga series about Princess Ai, a
> winged amnesiac alien who finds herself in Tokyo. The character,
> just like the author, is a rock star in love with a sensitive
> musician. The author is best known as the lead singer of 1990's
> grunge band Hole, and for her relationship with one the grunge
> genre's leading lights.

Courtney Love

> 3. This American-born musician's interest in Kabbalah inspired her
> to write a series of 7 children's picture books, beginning with
> 2003's "The English Roses". She later co-wrote 12 chapter books
> based on the original "English Roses" characters. Musically,
> she rose to fame in 1983 with a self-titled studio album and
> is known for her constant reinvention.

Roseanne Cash; Bonnie Raitt

> 4. This British singer with a single name rose to fame in the
> 1980s fronting a band which specialized in angst-filled
> lyrics about sexual longing and isolation over a jangly guitar
> background. He went solo in 1988. His memoir was well received,
> but his 2015 novel "List of the Lost" received negative reviews
> and a Literary Review Bad Sex in Fiction award.

Bono

> 5. This American songwriter and folk musician wrote a novel in
> 1947 not published until 2013, titled "House of Earth", about
> the life of a couple in Dust Bowl America, which is unsurprising
> as he was known as "The Dust Bowl Troubadour". His 1943 novel
> "Bound for Glory", a fictionalized autobiography, was much better
> received and made into a movie in 1976 with David Carradine as
> the folk singer.

Woodie Guthrie

> 6. This American pop musician with a cult following was living in
> Key West and wanted to write a book that would read easily while
> sitting on the beach. The result was the 1992 novel, "Where is
> Joe Merchant?" He has written 7 books in total, including a 1989
> short-story collection about laid-back living, aging beach bums,
> and adventurers -- all the themes he sings about.

Jimmy Buffett

> 7. This British-American dramatist wrote the book or score -- and
> sometimes both -- for many award-winning musicals of the last
> 40 years, including "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". He adapted
> Grisham's novel "A Time to Kill" for the stage in 2011.
> He published his first novel "Where the Truth Lies" in 2003
> and his second novel last year. But, sadly, he'll be best
> remembered for his 1979 hit song about a man who takes out a
> personal ad to escape his boring marriage.
>
> 8. She is a flamboyant, immediately recognizable country musician
> with a decades-long career and 3,000 songwriting credits,
> who has also written cookbooks, children's books, memoirs,
> and collections of poetry and lyrics. She joined thriller
> writer James Paterson in writing the 2022 novel "Run, Rose,
> Run", about a singer who arrives in Nashville trying to escape
> her past.

Dolly Parton

> 9. This Canadian musician was a published writer before he released
> any music, having released two poetry collections and two
> novels by 1966. In 1967 he moved to New York to begin a fabled
> songwriting career. A collection of short stories, a novella,
> and a play was published in 2022, six years after his death.
>
> 10. This Scottish-born American frontman for a popular new wave-
> post-punk art band of the late 70's and '80s was known for his
> interesting lyrics and for riding a bicycle as his primary
> means of transport. He wrote an interesting 2010 manifesto
> about cycling, "Bicycle Diaries", recounting his thoughts as
> he pedaled around major cities. Hopefully his big suit didn't
> get in the way.

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician lit

<urfpka$1ulrq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6033&group=rec.games.trivia#6033

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 08:24:40 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 16:24 UTC

On 2/24/24 13:54, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage
>
> We're all familiar with UNESCO's World Heritage Sites, but UNESCO
> also has a registry of cultural activities that exemplify a
> national culture and form a part of world heritage -- everything
> from loincloth weaving in Côte d'Ivoire to opera training in Italy.
>
> In each case we'll give the intangible, and you tell what *country*
> that has been granted the designation.
>
> 1. Kirkpinar Oil Wrestling Festival: a tradition in this country
> since 1360.
>
> 2. Capoeira dance: a mixed style of fighting and dancing.
>
> 3. Gamelan: a traditional percussion orchestra using hand-forged
> metal gongs, cymbals, and other percussives.
>
> 4. Castells: these are human towers built by people, usually at
> drunken festivals, standing on each other's shoulders up
> to 35 feet.
>
> 5. Hurling: a field sport between two teams, dating back 2000 years.

Ireland

> 6. Cultural practices pertaining to the production and consumption
> of couscous: these are traditional ceremonies surrounding the
> preparation of this delicious dish.

Lebanon

> 7. Washi: a traditional paper-making technique using the fibers
> of the mulberry plant.

China

> 8. Rumba: music and dance combining elements of African, Antillean,
> and Spanish cultures.

Trinidad and Tobago

> 9. Sauna culture: an integral part of the daily lives of the people
> of this nation.

Finland

> 10. The culture of borscht cooking: memorialized in tradition and
> song in this country.

Belarus

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Literature - Musicians Who Write
>
> A round about artists that are best known as musicians, but who have
> produced poetry or prose works (excluding memoirs). In each case
> name that artist/writer.
>
> 1. This American author, musician, and self-described
> "bluesologist", took two years off university to write "The
> Vulture", the first of two novels, and received an MA in creative
> writing in 1972. His poetry covered issues like race relations
> in the US, consumerism, hypocrisy, and ignorance, and morphed
> into spoken-word recordings, the most famous of which was
> "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised".
>
> 2. She is the co-author of a manga series about Princess Ai, a
> winged amnesiac alien who finds herself in Tokyo. The character,
> just like the author, is a rock star in love with a sensitive
> musician. The author is best known as the lead singer of 1990's
> grunge band Hole, and for her relationship with one the grunge
> genre's leading lights.

Courtney Love

> 3. This American-born musician's interest in Kabbalah inspired her
> to write a series of 7 children's picture books, beginning with
> 2003's "The English Roses". She later co-wrote 12 chapter books
> based on the original "English Roses" characters. Musically,
> she rose to fame in 1983 with a self-titled studio album and
> is known for her constant reinvention.
>
> 4. This British singer with a single name rose to fame in the
> 1980s fronting a band which specialized in angst-filled
> lyrics about sexual longing and isolation over a jangly guitar
> background. He went solo in 1988. His memoir was well received,
> but his 2015 novel "List of the Lost" received negative reviews
> and a Literary Review Bad Sex in Fiction award.

Sting

> 5. This American songwriter and folk musician wrote a novel in
> 1947 not published until 2013, titled "House of Earth", about
> the life of a couple in Dust Bowl America, which is unsurprising
> as he was known as "The Dust Bowl Troubadour". His 1943 novel
> "Bound for Glory", a fictionalized autobiography, was much better
> received and made into a movie in 1976 with David Carradine as
> the folk singer.
>
> 6. This American pop musician with a cult following was living in
> Key West and wanted to write a book that would read easily while
> sitting on the beach. The result was the 1992 novel, "Where is
> Joe Merchant?" He has written 7 books in total, including a 1989
> short-story collection about laid-back living, aging beach bums,
> and adventurers -- all the themes he sings about.

Jimmy Buffet

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: intangible heritage, musician lit

<XnsB123CC96A1DECYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6034&group=rec.games.trivia#6034

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:06:42 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 19:06 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage
>
> 1. Kirkpinar Oil Wrestling Festival: a tradition in this country
> since 1360.

Scotland
> 2. Capoeira dance: a mixed style of fighting and dancing.

Brazil

> 4. Castells: these are human towers built by people, usually at
> drunken festivals, standing on each other's shoulders up
> to 35 feet.

Spain
> 5. Hurling: a field sport between two teams, dating back 2000 years.

Ireland

> 6. Cultural practices pertaining to the production and consumption
> of couscous: these are traditional ceremonies surrounding the
> preparation of this delicious dish.

Morroco
> 9. Sauna culture: an integral part of the daily lives of the people
> of this nation.

Finland
> 10. The culture of borscht cooking: memorialized in tradition and
> song in this country.

Russia

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Literature - Musicians Who Write
>
> 2. She is the co-author of a manga series about Princess Ai, a
> winged amnesiac alien who finds herself in Tokyo. The character,
> just like the author, is a rock star in love with a sensitive
> musician. The author is best known as the lead singer of 1990's
> grunge band Hole, and for her relationship with one the grunge
> genre's leading lights.

Courrney Hole
> 3. This American-born musician's interest in Kabbalah inspired her
> to write a series of 7 children's picture books, beginning with
> 2003's "The English Roses". She later co-wrote 12 chapter books
> based on the original "English Roses" characters. Musically,
> she rose to fame in 1983 with a self-titled studio album and
> is known for her constant reinvention.

Madonna
> 4. This British singer with a single name rose to fame in the
> 1980s fronting a band which specialized in angst-filled
> lyrics about sexual longing and isolation over a jangly guitar
> background. He went solo in 1988. His memoir was well received,
> but his 2015 novel "List of the Lost" received negative reviews
> and a Literary Review Bad Sex in Fiction award.

Morrisey
> 6. This American pop musician with a cult following was living in
> Key West and wanted to write a book that would read easily while
> sitting on the beach. The result was the 1992 novel, "Where is
> Joe Merchant?" He has written 7 books in total, including a 1989
> short-story collection about laid-back living, aging beach bums,
> and adventurers -- all the themes he sings about.

Brian Wilson

> 8. She is a flamboyant, immediately recognizable country musician
> with a decades-long career and 3,000 songwriting credits,
> who has also written cookbooks, children's books, memoirs,
> and collections of poetry and lyrics. She joined thriller
> writer James Paterson in writing the 2022 novel "Run, Rose,
> Run", about a singer who arrives in Nashville trying to escape
> her past.

Dolly Parton

QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: intangible heritage, musician lit

<sCOdnRns0ci1EEP4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6035&group=rec.games.trivia#6035

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: intangible heritage, musician lit
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:32:24 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:32 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-05,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage

> We're all familiar with UNESCO's World Heritage Sites, but UNESCO
> also has a registry of cultural activities that exemplify a
> national culture and form a part of world heritage -- everything
> from loincloth weaving in Côte d'Ivoire to opera training in Italy.

> In each case we'll give the intangible, and you tell what *country*
> that has been granted the designation.

> 1. Kirkpinar Oil Wrestling Festival: a tradition in this country
> since 1360.

Turkey. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Capoeira dance: a mixed style of fighting and dancing.

Brazil. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland. 2 for Pete.

> 3. Gamelan: a traditional percussion orchestra using hand-forged
> metal gongs, cymbals, and other percussives.

Indonesia. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 4. Castells: these are human towers built by people, usually at
> drunken festivals, standing on each other's shoulders up
> to 35 feet.

Spain. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland.

> 5. Hurling: a field sport between two teams, dating back 2000 years.

Ireland. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque,
and Erland.

> 6. Cultural practices pertaining to the production and consumption
> of couscous: these are traditional ceremonies surrounding the
> preparation of this delicious dish.

Algeria, Mauritania, Morocco, and Tunisia. (Accepting any one.)
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua (the hard way), Pete, and Erland.

> 7. Washi: a traditional paper-making technique using the fibers
> of the mulberry plant.

Japan. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. Rumba: music and dance combining elements of African, Antillean,
> and Spanish cultures.

Cuba. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Sauna culture: an integral part of the daily lives of the people
> of this nation.

Finland. 4 for everyone.

> 10. The culture of borscht cooking: memorialized in tradition and
> song in this country.

Ukraine. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Literature - Musicians Who Write

> A round about artists that are best known as musicians, but who have
> produced poetry or prose works (excluding memoirs). In each case
> name that artist/writer.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. This American author, musician, and self-described
> "bluesologist", took two years off university to write "The
> Vulture", the first of two novels, and received an MA in creative
> writing in 1972. His poetry covered issues like race relations
> in the US, consumerism, hypocrisy, and ignorance, and morphed
> into spoken-word recordings, the most famous of which was
> "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised".

Gil Scott-Heron. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 2. She is the co-author of a manga series about Princess Ai, a
> winged amnesiac alien who finds herself in Tokyo. The character,
> just like the author, is a rock star in love with a sensitive
> musician. The author is best known as the lead singer of 1990's
> grunge band Hole, and for her relationship with one the grunge
> genre's leading lights.

Courtney Love. 4 for everyone.

> 3. This American-born musician's interest in Kabbalah inspired her
> to write a series of 7 children's picture books, beginning with
> 2003's "The English Roses". She later co-wrote 12 chapter books
> based on the original "English Roses" characters. Musically,
> she rose to fame in 1983 with a self-titled studio album and
> is known for her constant reinvention.

Madonna. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland.

> 4. This British singer with a single name rose to fame in the
> 1980s fronting a band which specialized in angst-filled
> lyrics about sexual longing and isolation over a jangly guitar
> background. He went solo in 1988. His memoir was well received,
> but his 2015 novel "List of the Lost" received negative reviews
> and a Literary Review Bad Sex in Fiction award.

Morrissey. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland.

They all spelled it differently; Joshua got that right.

> 5. This American songwriter and folk musician wrote a novel in
> 1947 not published until 2013, titled "House of Earth", about
> the life of a couple in Dust Bowl America, which is unsurprising
> as he was known as "The Dust Bowl Troubadour". His 1943 novel
> "Bound for Glory", a fictionalized autobiography, was much better
> received and made into a movie in 1976 with David Carradine as
> the folk singer.

Woody Guthrie. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

The first name -- which, as mentioned on "Jeopardy!" earlier this
month, on 2024-02-06 to be exact, was in honor of President Wilson --
was not required.

> 6. This American pop musician with a cult following was living in
> Key West and wanted to write a book that would read easily while
> sitting on the beach. The result was the 1992 novel, "Where is
> Joe Merchant?" He has written 7 books in total, including a 1989
> short-story collection about laid-back living, aging beach bums,
> and adventurers -- all the themes he sings about.

Jimmy Buffett. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. This British-American dramatist wrote the book or score -- and
> sometimes both -- for many award-winning musicals of the last
> 40 years, including "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". He adapted
> Grisham's novel "A Time to Kill" for the stage in 2011.
> He published his first novel "Where the Truth Lies" in 2003
> and his second novel last year. But, sadly, he'll be best
> remembered for his 1979 hit song about a man who takes out a
> personal ad to escape his boring marriage.

Rupert Holmes. ("Escape", aka the Piña Colada song -- as mentioned on
"Jeopardy!" last week, on 2024-02-21 to be exact.) 4 for Joshua.

> 8. She is a flamboyant, immediately recognizable country musician
> with a decades-long career and 3,000 songwriting credits,
> who has also written cookbooks, children's books, memoirs,
> and collections of poetry and lyrics. She joined thriller
> writer James Paterson in writing the 2022 novel "Run, Rose,
> Run", about a singer who arrives in Nashville trying to escape
> her past.

Dolly Parton. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Erland.

> 9. This Canadian musician was a published writer before he released
> any music, having released two poetry collections and two
> novels by 1966. In 1967 he moved to New York to begin a fabled
> songwriting career. A collection of short stories, a novella,
> and a play was published in 2022, six years after his death.

Leonard Cohen. 4 for Joshua.

> 10. This Scottish-born American frontman for a popular new wave-
> post-punk art band of the late 70's and '80s was known for his
> interesting lyrics and for riding a bicycle as his primary
> means of transport. He wrote an interesting 2010 manifesto
> about cycling, "Bicycle Diaries", recounting his thoughts as
> he pedaled around major cities. Hopefully his big suit didn't
> get in the way.

David Byrne. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 35 40 75
Dan Blum 36 28 64
Pete Gayde 20 20 40
Erland Sommarskog 20 16 36
Dan Tilque 8 8 16

--
Mark Brader | Yet again, I begged him to explain himself in plain
Toronto | English. This request always surprises him, as he
| he has done so. -- Lynn & Jay, "Yes Minister"

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: intangible heritage, musician lit

<XnsB126D6BD2E6FAYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6039&group=rec.games.trivia#6039

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 21:06:34 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:06 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
>> 2. She is the co-author of a manga series about Princess Ai, a
>> winged amnesiac alien who finds herself in Tokyo. The character,
>> just like the author, is a rock star in love with a sensitive
>> musician. The author is best known as the lead singer of 1990's
>> grunge band Hole, and for her relationship with one the grunge
>> genre's leading lights.
>
> Courtney Love. 4 for everyone.

Really? You cannot read have my answer very closely.

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: intangible heritage, musician lit

<35ucnbN53LkO_H34nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6043&group=rec.games.trivia#6043

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:50:59 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:50 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 2. She is the co-author of a manga series about Princess Ai, a
>>> winged amnesiac alien who finds herself in Tokyo. The character,
>>> just like the author, is a rock star in love with a sensitive
>>> musician. The author is best known as the lead singer of 1990's
>>> grunge band Hole, and for her relationship with one the grunge
>>> genre's leading lights.

>> Courtney Love. 4 for everyone.

Erland Sommarskog:
> Really? You cannot read have my answer very closely.

Oops. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque, then. Thanks, Erland.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 35 40 75
Dan Blum 36 28 64
Pete Gayde 20 20 40
Erland Sommarskog 20 12 32
Dan Tilque 8 8 16
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Truth speak from any chair."
msb@vex.net -- Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum