There is no delight the equal of dread. As long as it is somebody else's. -- Clive Barker

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclists

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclistsMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclistsDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclistsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclistsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclistsDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclistsPete Gayde
`- QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: You might not know, cyclistsMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclists

<2n-dndPNSrOz3H74nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6047&group=rec.games.trivia#6047

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclists
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 15:09:34 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:09 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana - You Might Not Know

These are companies and brands that you might not know are Canadian.
In each case, name them.

1. Hipster retro backpack maker, founded by Lyndon and Jamie
Cormacks in 2009 in Vancouver.

2. Footwear brand originally produced by Kaufman Rubber Footwear
in Kitchener until purchased by Columbia Sportswear in 2000.

3. Yoga accessory giant, founded by Chip Wilson in 1998 in
Vancouver.

4. Headquartered in Toronto, they own 75 luxury properties around
the world, including the Savoy in London, the Plaza in New York,
and the Chateau Laurier.

5. Global cosmetic brand created in 1984 in Toronto by Frank Toscan.
Now owned by Estée Lauder Companies.

6. A chinotto-flavored soft drink created in 1959 in Toronto by
Elio Madonia, Giuseppe Panacci, and Angelo Pirrello.

7. High-end design company specializing in outdoor apparel
and equipment. Founded in 1989 in Vancouver by David Lane
and Jeremy Guard.

8. Women's fashions retailer and brand, founded by Brian Hill in
1984 in Vancouver, based in BC.

9. It calls itself an all-in-one social media marketing and
management tool. Founded in 2008 by Ryan Holmes and based
in Vancouver.

10. Shoe retailer and brand, named after its eccentric creator
who started the biz in 1980's Vancouver. Creative materials
and innovative designs have made it a favorite among celebrities.

* Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Men's Professional Road Cycling Grand Tours

*Note*: In this round, Lance Armstrong is never the answer.

1. Cycling's grand tour competitions, such as the Tour de France,
often hold an "ITT" stage on Day 1. As in nordic skiing,
biathlon, and qualifying events in rowing and motorsports,
an ITT event has single riders departing at intervals of 1 or
sometimes 2 minutes, racing against the clock over a circuit
without assistance from other riders. What does "ITT" stand for?

2. In regular mass-start races, cyclists need to conserve energy
for the finish or for hills. Most riders do so by riding in
a big group of cyclists, reducing overall drag. What is this
large group of cyclists called?

3. On grand tours, 7 members of a cycling team will sacrifice
personal chances of victory in order to support the 8th and
best rider. What is the nickname in French given to a rider
who falls back behind the <answer 2> to collect water bottles
from the team car, and then speeds up to deliver them to their
team leaders? It translates as "household servant".

4. Within the first hour or so of a race, an individual rider
or a group of riders will suddenly speed up and pull away from
the front of the <answer 2> with the aim of creating a gap so
large that they cannot be caught before the end of the race.
The same term is used in hockey in a somewhat similar situation.
What is the English name of this situation or group?

5. In which month is the Tour de France normally held? Hint:
French riders compete savagely for the honor of a stage victory
on Bastille Day.

6. Besides the overall time leader's yellow jersey, other colored
jerseys are handed out daily at the Tour de France for the
best young rider, the best climber, and the best sprinter.
Give us the color of any of these special jerseys, no need to
specify which one.

7. Within a range of 3 days, how many racing days or stages does
a grand tour consist of?

8. Name either of the *other* two European countries besides France
that host 3-week-long grand tours.

9. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with the previous one. Va gur Gbhe qr Senapr, gur
birenyy enpr yrnqre jrnef n lryybj wrefrl. Zrnajuvyr, va Fcnva,
fvapr 2010 gur yrnqre bs gurve tenaq-gbhe enpr unf jbea n wrefrl
gung vf gur fnzr pbybe nf gur wrefrlf jbea ol zbfg bs Fcnva'f
angvbany grnzf. Anzr gung pbybe.

10. Cycling is so punishing to the body that no rider has ever won
all three of the grand tours in the same calendar year.
In fact, only 7 riders have won all three grand-tour races
during their careers. Name any of those 7.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Professor, I think I have a counterexample."
msb@vex.net | "That's all right; I have two proofs."

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclists

<urvh4l$ds5$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6049&group=rec.games.trivia#6049

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:37:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:37 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> 2. Footwear brand originally produced by Kaufman Rubber Footwear
> in Kitchener until purchased by Columbia Sportswear in 2000.

Skechers

> 3. Yoga accessory giant, founded by Chip Wilson in 1998 in
> Vancouver.

Lululemon

> 10. Shoe retailer and brand, named after its eccentric creator
> who started the biz in 1980's Vancouver. Creative materials
> and innovative designs have made it a favorite among celebrities.

Zappo's

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Men's Professional Road Cycling Grand Tours

> 2. In regular mass-start races, cyclists need to conserve energy
> for the finish or for hills. Most riders do so by riding in
> a big group of cyclists, reducing overall drag. What is this
> large group of cyclists called?

peloton

> 4. Within the first hour or so of a race, an individual rider
> or a group of riders will suddenly speed up and pull away from
> the front of the <answer 2> with the aim of creating a gap so
> large that they cannot be caught before the end of the race.
> The same term is used in hockey in a somewhat similar situation.
> What is the English name of this situation or group?

breakaway

> 5. In which month is the Tour de France normally held? Hint:
> French riders compete savagely for the honor of a stage victory
> on Bastille Day.

July

> 6. Besides the overall time leader's yellow jersey, other colored
> jerseys are handed out daily at the Tour de France for the
> best young rider, the best climber, and the best sprinter.
> Give us the color of any of these special jerseys, no need to
> specify which one.

green

> 7. Within a range of 3 days, how many racing days or stages does
> a grand tour consist of?

18

> 8. Name either of the *other* two European countries besides France
> that host 3-week-long grand tours.

Switzerland

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Va gur Gbhe qr Senapr, gur
> birenyy enpr yrnqre jrnef n lryybj wrefrl. Zrnajuvyr, va Fcnva,
> fvapr 2010 gur yrnqre bs gurve tenaq-gbhe enpr unf jbea n wrefrl
> gung vf gur fnzr pbybe nf gur wrefrlf jbea ol zbfg bs Fcnva'f
> angvbany grnzf. Anzr gung pbybe.

blue

> 10. Cycling is so punishing to the body that no rider has ever won
> all three of the grand tours in the same calendar year.
> In fact, only 7 riders have won all three grand-tour races
> during their careers. Name any of those 7.

Mercx

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclists

<XnsB129D725CAC52Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6052&group=rec.games.trivia#6052

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 21:08:59 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 20:08 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana - You Might Not Know
>
> 6. A chinotto-flavored soft drink created in 1959 in Toronto by
> Elio Madonia, Giuseppe Panacci, and Angelo Pirrello.

San Pellegrino
> * Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Men's Professional Road Cycling Grand Tours
>
> *Note*: In this round, Lance Armstrong is never the answer.
>
> 2. In regular mass-start races, cyclists need to conserve energy
> for the finish or for hills. Most riders do so by riding in
> a big group of cyclists, reducing overall drag. What is this
> large group of cyclists called?

Clung
> 5. In which month is the Tour de France normally held? Hint:
> French riders compete savagely for the honor of a stage victory
> on Bastille Day.

July
> 6. Besides the overall time leader's yellow jersey, other colored
> jerseys are handed out daily at the Tour de France for the
> best young rider, the best climber, and the best sprinter.
> Give us the color of any of these special jerseys, no need to
> specify which one.

White with red dots
> 7. Within a range of 3 days, how many racing days or stages does
> a grand tour consist of?

20

> 8. Name either of the *other* two European countries besides France
> that host 3-week-long grand tours.

Italy and Spain

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Va gur Gbhe qr Senapr, gur
> birenyy enpr yrnqre jrnef n lryybj wrefrl. Zrnajuvyr, va Fcnva,
> fvapr 2010 gur yrnqre bs gurve tenaq-gbhe enpr unf jbea n wrefrl
> gung vf gur fnzr pbybe nf gur wrefrlf jbea ol zbfg bs Fcnva'f
> angvbany grnzf. Anzr gung pbybe.

Red
> 10. Cycling is so punishing to the body that no rider has ever won
> all three of the grand tours in the same calendar year.
> In fact, only 7 riders have won all three grand-tour races
> during their careers. Name any of those 7.

Eddy Mercxx

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclists

<us06u3$238r3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6053&group=rec.games.trivia#6053

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:49:55 -0600
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:49 UTC

On 3/2/2024 9:09 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana - You Might Not Know
>
> These are companies and brands that you might not know are Canadian.
> In each case, name them.
>
> 3. Yoga accessory giant, founded by Chip Wilson in 1998 in
> Vancouver.

Lululemon

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Men's Professional Road Cycling Grand Tours
>
> *Note*: In this round, Lance Armstrong is never the answer.
>
> 1. Cycling's grand tour competitions, such as the Tour de France,
> often hold an "ITT" stage on Day 1. As in nordic skiing,
> biathlon, and qualifying events in rowing and motorsports,
> an ITT event has single riders departing at intervals of 1 or
> sometimes 2 minutes, racing against the clock over a circuit
> without assistance from other riders. What does "ITT" stand for?

individual time trial

> 2. In regular mass-start races, cyclists need to conserve energy
> for the finish or for hills. Most riders do so by riding in
> a big group of cyclists, reducing overall drag. What is this
> large group of cyclists called?

peloton

> 4. Within the first hour or so of a race, an individual rider
> or a group of riders will suddenly speed up and pull away from
> the front of the <answer 2> with the aim of creating a gap so
> large that they cannot be caught before the end of the race.
> The same term is used in hockey in a somewhat similar situation.
> What is the English name of this situation or group?

power play

> 5. In which month is the Tour de France normally held? Hint:
> French riders compete savagely for the honor of a stage victory
> on Bastille Day.

July

> 8. Name either of the *other* two European countries besides France
> that host 3-week-long grand tours.

Italy

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Va gur Gbhe qr Senapr, gur
> birenyy enpr yrnqre jrnef n lryybj wrefrl. Zrnajuvyr, va Fcnva,
> fvapr 2010 gur yrnqre bs gurve tenaq-gbhe enpr unf jbea n wrefrl
> gung vf gur fnzr pbybe nf gur wrefrlf jbea ol zbfg bs Fcnva'f
> angvbany grnzf. Anzr gung pbybe.

red

> 10. Cycling is so punishing to the body that no rider has ever won
> all three of the grand tours in the same calendar year.
> In fact, only 7 riders have won all three grand-tour races
> during their careers. Name any of those 7.

Merckx

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclists

<us38ri$2q026$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6056&group=rec.games.trivia#6056

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 17:41:04 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 01:41 UTC

On 3/2/24 07:09, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana - You Might Not Know
>
> These are companies and brands that you might not know are Canadian.
> In each case, name them.
>
> 1. Hipster retro backpack maker, founded by Lyndon and Jamie
> Cormacks in 2009 in Vancouver.
>
> 2. Footwear brand originally produced by Kaufman Rubber Footwear
> in Kitchener until purchased by Columbia Sportswear in 2000.
>
> 3. Yoga accessory giant, founded by Chip Wilson in 1998 in
> Vancouver.
>
> 4. Headquartered in Toronto, they own 75 luxury properties around
> the world, including the Savoy in London, the Plaza in New York,
> and the Chateau Laurier.
>
> 5. Global cosmetic brand created in 1984 in Toronto by Frank Toscan.
> Now owned by Estée Lauder Companies.
>
> 6. A chinotto-flavored soft drink created in 1959 in Toronto by
> Elio Madonia, Giuseppe Panacci, and Angelo Pirrello.
>
> 7. High-end design company specializing in outdoor apparel
> and equipment. Founded in 1989 in Vancouver by David Lane
> and Jeremy Guard.
>
> 8. Women's fashions retailer and brand, founded by Brian Hill in
> 1984 in Vancouver, based in BC.
>
> 9. It calls itself an all-in-one social media marketing and
> management tool. Founded in 2008 by Ryan Holmes and based
> in Vancouver.
>
> 10. Shoe retailer and brand, named after its eccentric creator
> who started the biz in 1980's Vancouver. Creative materials
> and innovative designs have made it a favorite among celebrities.
>

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Men's Professional Road Cycling Grand Tours
>
> *Note*: In this round, Lance Armstrong is never the answer.
>
> 1. Cycling's grand tour competitions, such as the Tour de France,
> often hold an "ITT" stage on Day 1. As in nordic skiing,
> biathlon, and qualifying events in rowing and motorsports,
> an ITT event has single riders departing at intervals of 1 or
> sometimes 2 minutes, racing against the clock over a circuit
> without assistance from other riders. What does "ITT" stand for?

Individual Time Trial

> 2. In regular mass-start races, cyclists need to conserve energy
> for the finish or for hills. Most riders do so by riding in
> a big group of cyclists, reducing overall drag. What is this
> large group of cyclists called?

peloton

> 3. On grand tours, 7 members of a cycling team will sacrifice
> personal chances of victory in order to support the 8th and
> best rider. What is the nickname in French given to a rider
> who falls back behind the <answer 2> to collect water bottles
> from the team car, and then speeds up to deliver them to their
> team leaders? It translates as "household servant".
>
> 4. Within the first hour or so of a race, an individual rider
> or a group of riders will suddenly speed up and pull away from
> the front of the <answer 2> with the aim of creating a gap so
> large that they cannot be caught before the end of the race.
> The same term is used in hockey in a somewhat similar situation.
> What is the English name of this situation or group?

breakaway

> 5. In which month is the Tour de France normally held? Hint:
> French riders compete savagely for the honor of a stage victory
> on Bastille Day.

July

> 6. Besides the overall time leader's yellow jersey, other colored
> jerseys are handed out daily at the Tour de France for the
> best young rider, the best climber, and the best sprinter.
> Give us the color of any of these special jerseys, no need to
> specify which one.

red polka dot jersey

> 7. Within a range of 3 days, how many racing days or stages does
> a grand tour consist of?

20

> 8. Name either of the *other* two European countries besides France
> that host 3-week-long grand tours.

Spain

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Va gur Gbhe qr Senapr, gur
> birenyy enpr yrnqre jrnef n lryybj wrefrl. Zrnajuvyr, va Fcnva,
> fvapr 2010 gur yrnqre bs gurve tenaq-gbhe enpr unf jbea n wrefrl
> gung vf gur fnzr pbybe nf gur wrefrlf jbea ol zbfg bs Fcnva'f
> angvbany grnzf. Anzr gung pbybe.

red

> 10. Cycling is so punishing to the body that no rider has ever won
> all three of the grand tours in the same calendar year.
> In fact, only 7 riders have won all three grand-tour races
> during their careers. Name any of those 7.

Eddy Merckx

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: You might not know, cyclists

<us3he5$2v7gi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6058&group=rec.games.trivia#6058

From: pete.gayde@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 22:07:32 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 04:07 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-05,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
> of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana - You Might Not Know
>
> These are companies and brands that you might not know are Canadian.
> In each case, name them.
>
> 1. Hipster retro backpack maker, founded by Lyndon and Jamie
> Cormacks in 2009 in Vancouver.
>
> 2. Footwear brand originally produced by Kaufman Rubber Footwear
> in Kitchener until purchased by Columbia Sportswear in 2000.

Keds

> 3. Yoga accessory giant, founded by Chip Wilson in 1998 in
> Vancouver.

Lululemon

> 4. Headquartered in Toronto, they own 75 luxury properties around
> the world, including the Savoy in London, the Plaza in New York,
> and the Chateau Laurier.
>
> 5. Global cosmetic brand created in 1984 in Toronto by Frank Toscan.
> Now owned by Estée Lauder Companies.
>
> 6. A chinotto-flavored soft drink created in 1959 in Toronto by
> Elio Madonia, Giuseppe Panacci, and Angelo Pirrello.

Dr. Pepper

> 7. High-end design company specializing in outdoor apparel
> and equipment. Founded in 1989 in Vancouver by David Lane
> and Jeremy Guard.
>
> 8. Women's fashions retailer and brand, founded by Brian Hill in
> 1984 in Vancouver, based in BC.

Lululemon

> 9. It calls itself an all-in-one social media marketing and
> management tool. Founded in 2008 by Ryan Holmes and based
> in Vancouver.
>
> 10. Shoe retailer and brand, named after its eccentric creator
> who started the biz in 1980's Vancouver. Creative materials
> and innovative designs have made it a favorite among celebrities.
>

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Men's Professional Road Cycling Grand Tours
>
> *Note*: In this round, Lance Armstrong is never the answer.
>
> 1. Cycling's grand tour competitions, such as the Tour de France,
> often hold an "ITT" stage on Day 1. As in nordic skiing,
> biathlon, and qualifying events in rowing and motorsports,
> an ITT event has single riders departing at intervals of 1 or
> sometimes 2 minutes, racing against the clock over a circuit
> without assistance from other riders. What does "ITT" stand for?

Interval Time Trial

> 2. In regular mass-start races, cyclists need to conserve energy
> for the finish or for hills. Most riders do so by riding in
> a big group of cyclists, reducing overall drag. What is this
> large group of cyclists called?

Peloton

> 3. On grand tours, 7 members of a cycling team will sacrifice
> personal chances of victory in order to support the 8th and
> best rider. What is the nickname in French given to a rider
> who falls back behind the <answer 2> to collect water bottles
> from the team car, and then speeds up to deliver them to their
> team leaders? It translates as "household servant".
>
> 4. Within the first hour or so of a race, an individual rider
> or a group of riders will suddenly speed up and pull away from
> the front of the <answer 2> with the aim of creating a gap so
> large that they cannot be caught before the end of the race.
> The same term is used in hockey in a somewhat similar situation.
> What is the English name of this situation or group?

Breakaway

> 5. In which month is the Tour de France normally held? Hint:
> French riders compete savagely for the honor of a stage victory
> on Bastille Day.

July

> 6. Besides the overall time leader's yellow jersey, other colored
> jerseys are handed out daily at the Tour de France for the
> best young rider, the best climber, and the best sprinter.
> Give us the color of any of these special jerseys, no need to
> specify which one.

Pink

> 7. Within a range of 3 days, how many racing days or stages does
> a grand tour consist of?

24

> 8. Name either of the *other* two European countries besides France
> that host 3-week-long grand tours.

Italy

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Va gur Gbhe qr Senapr, gur
> birenyy enpr yrnqre jrnef n lryybj wrefrl. Zrnajuvyr, va Fcnva,
> fvapr 2010 gur yrnqre bs gurve tenaq-gbhe enpr unf jbea n wrefrl
> gung vf gur fnzr pbybe nf gur wrefrlf jbea ol zbfg bs Fcnva'f
> angvbany grnzf. Anzr gung pbybe.

Red

> 10. Cycling is so punishing to the body that no rider has ever won
> all three of the grand tours in the same calendar year.
> In fact, only 7 riders have won all three grand-tour races
> during their careers. Name any of those 7.

Merckx; Lemond

Pete Gayde

QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: You might not know, cyclists

<ArCdnWb627HptXX4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6060&group=rec.games.trivia#6060

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: You might not know, cyclists
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 08:25:24 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 08:25 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-05,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana - You Might Not Know

> These are companies and brands that you might not know are Canadian.
> In each case, name them.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Hipster retro backpack maker, founded by Lyndon and Jamie
> Cormacks in 2009 in Vancouver.

Herschel Supply Co.

> 2. Footwear brand originally produced by Kaufman Rubber Footwear
> in Kitchener until purchased by Columbia Sportswear in 2000.

Sorel.

> 3. Yoga accessory giant, founded by Chip Wilson in 1998 in
> Vancouver.

Lululemon. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 4. Headquartered in Toronto, they own 75 luxury properties around
> the world, including the Savoy in London, the Plaza in New York,
> and the Chateau Laurier.

Fairmont Hotels and Resorts (or FRHI).

> 5. Global cosmetic brand created in 1984 in Toronto by Frank Toscan.
> Now owned by Estée Lauder Companies.

MAC Cosmetics.

> 6. A chinotto-flavored soft drink created in 1959 in Toronto by
> Elio Madonia, Giuseppe Panacci, and Angelo Pirrello.

Brio.

> 7. High-end design company specializing in outdoor apparel
> and equipment. Founded in 1989 in Vancouver by David Lane
> and Jeremy Guard.

Arc'teryx.

> 8. Women's fashions retailer and brand, founded by Brian Hill in
> 1984 in Vancouver, based in BC.

Aritzia.

> 9. It calls itself an all-in-one social media marketing and
> management tool. Founded in 2008 by Ryan Holmes and based
> in Vancouver.

Hootsuite.

> 10. Shoe retailer and brand, named after its eccentric creator
> who started the biz in 1980's Vancouver. Creative materials
> and innovative designs have made it a favorite among celebrities.

Fluevog.

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Sports - Men's Professional Road Cycling Grand Tours

> *Note*: In this round, Lance Armstrong is never the answer.

> 1. Cycling's grand tour competitions, such as the Tour de France,
> often hold an "ITT" stage on Day 1. As in nordic skiing,
> biathlon, and qualifying events in rowing and motorsports,
> an ITT event has single riders departing at intervals of 1 or
> sometimes 2 minutes, racing against the clock over a circuit
> without assistance from other riders. What does "ITT" stand for?

Individual Time Trial. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 2. In regular mass-start races, cyclists need to conserve energy
> for the finish or for hills. Most riders do so by riding in
> a big group of cyclists, reducing overall drag. What is this
> large group of cyclists called?

The peloton. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. On grand tours, 7 members of a cycling team will sacrifice
> personal chances of victory in order to support the 8th and
> best rider. What is the nickname in French given to a rider
> who falls back behind the <answer 2> to collect water bottles
> from the team car, and then speeds up to deliver them to their
> team leaders? It translates as "household servant".

Domestique.

> 4. Within the first hour or so of a race, an individual rider
> or a group of riders will suddenly speed up and pull away from
> the front of the <answer 2> with the aim of creating a gap so
> large that they cannot be caught before the end of the race.
> The same term is used in hockey in a somewhat similar situation.
> What is the English name of this situation or group?

Breakaway or break. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. In which month is the Tour de France normally held? Hint:
> French riders compete savagely for the honor of a stage victory
> on Bastille Day.

July, duh. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 6. Besides the overall time leader's yellow jersey, other colored
> jerseys are handed out daily at the Tour de France for the
> best young rider, the best climber, and the best sprinter.
> Give us the color of any of these special jerseys, no need to
> specify which one.

Green (sprinter), polka dot (climber), white (young rider).
4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Within a range of 3 days, how many racing days or stages does
> a grand tour consist of?

21 (accepting 18-24). 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 8. Name either of the *other* two European countries besides France
> that host 3-week-long grand tours.

Italy (Il Giro d'Italia), or Spain (La Vuelta a España). 4 for Erland
(the hard way), Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. In the Tour de France, the
> overall race leader wears a yellow jersey. Meanwhile, in Spain,
> since 2010 the leader of their grand-tour race has worn a jersey
> that is the same color as the jerseys worn by most of Spain's
> national teams. Name that color.

Red. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 10. Cycling is so punishing to the body that no rider has ever won
> all three of the grand tours in the same calendar year.
> In fact, only 7 riders have won all three grand-tour races
> during their careers. Name any of those 7.

Jacques Anquetil, Alberto Contador, Chris Froome, Felice Gimondi,
Bernard Hinault, Eddy Merckx, Vincenzo Nibali. 4 for Dan Blum,
Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Lit His Sci Can Spo FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 35 40 28 31 4 24 134
Dan Blum 36 28 24 28 4 24 116
Pete Gayde 20 20 28 30 4 27 105
Dan Tilque 8 8 28 32 0 36 104
Erland Sommarskog 20 12 28 11 0 24 84

--
Mark Brader, Toronto cat>/dev/null got your tongue?
msb@vex.net -- Jutta Degener