Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: CanOpenings, numbers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 02:04:12 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 02:04 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-12,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 2 - Canadiana History - Canadian Openings

Give the year in which the following projects were opened (or
renamed, as indicated), plus or minus 2 years in each case.

1. CN Tower, official opening.
2. Yorkdale Shopping Centre, official opening.
3. Toronto's (new) City Hall, official opening.
4. The Eaton Centre, first phase, official opening.
5. SkyDome, now the Rogers Centre, official opening.
6. The St. Lawrence Seaway project, official opening.

7. The TTC's Yonge subway, official opening of the first section
from Union to Eglinton station.

8. TD Centre's first building, the Toronto-Dominion Bank Tower,
official opening (despite the building not being completely
finished).

9. Name the year when Toronto's international airport officially
changed its name to honor Lester Pearson.

10. Name the year when Montreal's international airport officially
changed its name to honor Pierre Trudeau.

* Game 3, Round 3 - Sports - Uniform Numbers

We'll name three athletes and tell you what leagues they played in
("MLB" indicates any major baseball league); in each case you give
us the uniform number they all shared.

1. Lou Gehrig (MLB), Brett Favre (NFL), Bobby Orr (NHL).
2. Isaiah Thomas (NBA), Mark Messier (NHL), Yao Ming (NBA).
3. Magic Johnson (NBA), Jim Brown (NFL), O.J. Simpson (NFL).
4. George Mikan (NBA), Dan Hampton (NFL), Wayne Gretzky (NHL).
5. Tom Brady (NFL), Terry Bradshaw (NFL), Roberto Alomar (MLB).
6. Babe Ruth (MLB), Allen Iverson (NBA), Dale Earnhardt (NASCAR).
7. Ted Williams (MLB), Gordie Howe (NHL), "Rocket" Richard (NHL).
8. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (NBA), Patrick Roy (NHL), Jose Canseco (MLB).

9. Mickey Mantle (MLB), David Beckham (Premier League soccer),
Phil Esposito (NHL).

10. Fran Tarkenton (NFL), Guy LaFleur (NHL), Diego Maradona (various
soccer leagues).

--
Mark Brader | ...I'm comfortably ensconced with a warm newsgroup
Toronto | so I'm asking the assembled multitude here...

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: CanOpenings, numbers

<usm3g7$3eipj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6072&group=rec.games.trivia#6072

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 22:06:15 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 05:06 UTC

On 3/10/24 19:04, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Canadiana History - Canadian Openings
>
> Give the year in which the following projects were opened (or
> renamed, as indicated), plus or minus 2 years in each case.
>
> 1. CN Tower, official opening.
> 2. Yorkdale Shopping Centre, official opening.
> 3. Toronto's (new) City Hall, official opening.
> 4. The Eaton Centre, first phase, official opening.
> 5. SkyDome, now the Rogers Centre, official opening.
> 6. The St. Lawrence Seaway project, official opening.

1964

4

3

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: CanOpenings, numbers

<usqrt6$iv1l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6076&group=rec.games.trivia#6076

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:27:17 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 00:27 UTC

On 3/10/2024 9:04 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Canadiana History - Canadian Openings
>
> Give the year in which the following projects were opened (or
> renamed, as indicated), plus or minus 2 years in each case.
>
> 1. CN Tower, official opening.

1992; 1987

> 5. SkyDome, now the Rogers Centre, official opening.

1992

> 6. The St. Lawrence Seaway project, official opening.

1965; 1960

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Sports - Uniform Numbers
>
> We'll name three athletes and tell you what leagues they played in
> ("MLB" indicates any major baseball league); in each case you give
> us the uniform number they all shared.
>
> 1. Lou Gehrig (MLB), Brett Favre (NFL), Bobby Orr (NHL).

1; 6

> 2. Isaiah Thomas (NBA), Mark Messier (NHL), Yao Ming (NBA).

11; 21

> 3. Magic Johnson (NBA), Jim Brown (NFL), O.J. Simpson (NFL).

32

> 4. George Mikan (NBA), Dan Hampton (NFL), Wayne Gretzky (NHL).

99

> 5. Tom Brady (NFL), Terry Bradshaw (NFL), Roberto Alomar (MLB).

12

> 6. Babe Ruth (MLB), Allen Iverson (NBA), Dale Earnhardt (NASCAR).

3

> 7. Ted Williams (MLB), Gordie Howe (NHL), "Rocket" Richard (NHL).

8

> 8. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (NBA), Patrick Roy (NHL), Jose Canseco (MLB).

33

9

> 10. Fran Tarkenton (NFL), Guy LaFleur (NHL), Diego Maradona (various
> soccer leagues).

14; 10

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanOpenings, numbers

<gvKdnYMRg_vFHG_4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6078&group=rec.games.trivia#6078

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanOpenings, numbers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 04:47:20 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 04:47 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-12,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Based on responses available on giganews.com, there appears to be
a shortage of entrants for this set. Obviously I can't check for
others via Google Groups any more, and I don't have another way to
do so. If you posted an entry but I haven't scored it, please
repost it or email it to me.

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Canadiana History - Canadian Openings

> Give the year in which the following projects were opened (or
> renamed, as indicated), plus or minus 2 years in each case.

> 1. CN Tower, official opening.

1976 (accepting 1974-78).

It opened at midnight. I was one of the first few hundred people to
visit the main observation deck, then called the SkyPod. "Thank you
for flying CN", the elevator operators said. The upper observation
deck -- then called the Space Deck and now SkyPod -- didn't open
until morning.

> 2. Yorkdale Shopping Centre, official opening.

1964 (accepting 1962-66).

> 3. Toronto's (new) City Hall, official opening.

1965 (accepting 1963-67).

> 4. The Eaton Centre, first phase, official opening.

1977 (accepting 1975-79).

> 5. SkyDome, now the Rogers Centre, official opening.

1989 (accepting 1987-91).

> 6. The St. Lawrence Seaway project, official opening.

1959 (accepting 1957-61). 2 for Joshua.

> 7. The TTC's Yonge subway, official opening of the first section
> from Union to Eglinton station.

1954 (accepting 1952-56).

> 8. TD Centre's first building, the Toronto-Dominion Bank Tower,
> official opening (despite the building not being completely
> finished).

1967 (accepting 1965-69).

It was rushed to coincide with Centennial celebrations.

> 9. Name the year when Toronto's international airport officially
> changed its name to honor Lester Pearson.

1984 (accepting 1982-86).

The government broke its own policy by *replacing* the place name
with Pearson's name. Eventually this was fixed and it became
"Toronto Pearson International".

> 10. Name the year when Montreal's international airport officially
> changed its name to honor Pierre Trudeau.

2004 (accepting 2002-06).

Unlike the other, "Montreal-Trudeau International" has a hyphen.

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Sports - Uniform Numbers

> We'll name three athletes and tell you what leagues they played in
> ("MLB" indicates any major baseball league); in each case you give
> us the uniform number they all shared.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

#4. 4 for Dan.

#11. 3 for Joshua.

#32. 4 for Joshua.

#99. 4 for Joshua.

#12. 4 for Joshua.

#3. 4 for Dan and Joshua.

#9.

#33. 4 for Joshua.

#7.

#10. 2 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 2 25 27
Dan Tilque 0 8 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Ever wonder why they call the screen
msb@vex.net a vacuum tube?" -- Kent Paul Dolan