I'd just as soon kiss a Wookie. -- Princess Leia Organa

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6 answers

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6Mark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6Dan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6Joshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6Erland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6Dan Tilque
`- QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6 answersMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6

<OGWdnXJQRoUY7m34nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6073&group=rec.games.trivia#6073

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:23:49 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:23 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 5 (2024-03-04), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Sweden became the 32nd member of the NATO alliance last week.
Most existing NATO members approved Sweden's accession to the
military alliance back in September. Which member country was
the final holdout?

2. The Alberta government announced that it will bar certain types
of projects from prime land in the province. What kind of
projects will be barred?

3. The "single-use and take-away items" bylaw went into effect on
Friday in Toronto. What change will takeout food customers
notice during interactions with staff, with regard to things
like napkins and straws?

4. Toronto's Transportation Services Division recommended that city
council increase the penalty for the offence casually referred
to as "blocking the box" from its current $90 to $260, the same
penalty given for running a red light. What does it mean to
"block the box"?

5. At an NCAA track competition in Arkansas last weekend,
Christopher Morales Williams of Vaughan, Ontario, set a new
indoor world record in his event, with a time of 44.49 seconds.
However, on Tuesday his world record was denied because the
"starter information system" had not been connected to the
starting blocks. What distance did he run?

6. A popular fast-food restaurant chain was forced to clarify
this week that the comments their CEO made about "dynamic
pricing" were not going to result in Uber-style "surge
pricing", but rather simple discounts during off-peak hours.
Which restaurant?

7. A member of the American rock band the Eagles was in a New York
courtroom this week to maintain his ownership of handwritten
draft lyrics for the song "Hotel California", which were
allegedly stolen and put up for auction. Name the Eagle
involved.

8. At the 2024 Scotties Tournament of Hearts in Calgary, Rachel
Homan won the Canadian women's curling championship. It was
the last Hearts game for her opponent, who has 6 Canadian
championships, 2 world championships, and an Olympic gold medal
to her credit. Name Homan's legendary opponent.

9. Formerly known as Enerjet, and rebranded with an animal name
in 2021, this Calgary-based discount airline ceased operations
last Monday. Name it.

10. Last week saw some wild temperature swings. The temperature
at Toronto Pearson Airport hit 16.5° at noon on Wednesday --
followed by a precipitous drop. Within 2°, how far did the
temperature drop in just 17 minutes?

* Game 6 (2024-03-11), Round 1 - Current Events

1. All over the world, fans of martial arts manga are mourning the
death of Akira Toriyama. What's the name of his influential
manga series that spawned one of the highest-grossing media
franchises of all time, including movies, video games, and TV
series?

2. After a number of appeals, visas were finally issued to
participants of the Candidates Tournament, a prestigious event
to take place next month in Toronto. What is this event?

3. It was revealed last week that Taylor Swift is the 6th cousin
3 times removed of which renowned poetess?

4. The 2024 Montana's Brier (that's men's curling, for those of
you who don't know) took place last week in the Brandt Centre --
in which Canadian city?

5. Referring to changes in Major League Baseball, Jimmy Fallon joked
that "we're going to see a lot more dingers". What specifically
was he referring to?

6. Which feature-length film received the most Canadian Screen
Awards nominations, *and* won the best feature prize from the
Toronto Critics Association?

7. Joe Biden won every primary on Super Tuesday except the
same territory that he lost to Michael Bloomberg in 2020.
Which jurisdiction was that outlier?

8. Carolyn Parrish and Peter McCallion are two of the 5 candidates
who registered on opening day for what mayoralty race?

9. While its organizers seek creditor protection, what annual
Montreal event was cancelled for the first time since its
inception 40 years ago?

10. Which country's prime minister was Justin Trudeau going to
host at the AGO, until pro-Palestinian protesters forced it to
be cancelled?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto Rocket, 1829: The first 30 mph train.
msb@vex.net TGV-A, 1989: The first 300 mph train.

Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6

<usqncr$7vp$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6074&group=rec.games.trivia#6074

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 23:10:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 23:10 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5 (2024-03-04), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Sweden became the 32nd member of the NATO alliance last week.
> Most existing NATO members approved Sweden's accession to the
> military alliance back in September. Which member country was
> the final holdout?

Turkey

(I want to say Norway.)

> 3. The "single-use and take-away items" bylaw went into effect on
> Friday in Toronto. What change will takeout food customers
> notice during interactions with staff, with regard to things
> like napkins and straws?

they will have to ask for them

> 4. Toronto's Transportation Services Division recommended that city
> council increase the penalty for the offence casually referred
> to as "blocking the box" from its current $90 to $260, the same
> penalty given for running a red light. What does it mean to
> "block the box"?

pull far enough forward at an intersection to block cross traffic

> 5. At an NCAA track competition in Arkansas last weekend,
> Christopher Morales Williams of Vaughan, Ontario, set a new
> indoor world record in his event, with a time of 44.49 seconds.
> However, on Tuesday his world record was denied because the
> "starter information system" had not been connected to the
> starting blocks. What distance did he run?

quarter mile

> 6. A popular fast-food restaurant chain was forced to clarify
> this week that the comments their CEO made about "dynamic
> pricing" were not going to result in Uber-style "surge
> pricing", but rather simple discounts during off-peak hours.
> Which restaurant?

Wendy's

> 7. A member of the American rock band the Eagles was in a New York
> courtroom this week to maintain his ownership of handwritten
> draft lyrics for the song "Hotel California", which were
> allegedly stolen and put up for auction. Name the Eagle
> involved.

Don Henley

> 10. Last week saw some wild temperature swings. The temperature
> at Toronto Pearson Airport hit 16.5? at noon on Wednesday --
> followed by a precipitous drop. Within 2?, how far did the
> temperature drop in just 17 minutes?

22

> * Game 6 (2024-03-11), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. All over the world, fans of martial arts manga are mourning the
> death of Akira Toriyama. What's the name of his influential
> manga series that spawned one of the highest-grossing media
> franchises of all time, including movies, video games, and TV
> series?

Dragonball Z

> 3. It was revealed last week that Taylor Swift is the 6th cousin
> 3 times removed of which renowned poetess?

Emily Dickinson; Sylvia Plath

> 7. Joe Biden won every primary on Super Tuesday except the
> same territory that he lost to Michael Bloomberg in 2020.
> Which jurisdiction was that outlier?

Guam

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6

<usqrm4$iv1l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6075&group=rec.games.trivia#6075

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:23:31 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 00:23 UTC

On 3/12/2024 10:23 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2024-03-04), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Sweden became the 32nd member of the NATO alliance last week.
> Most existing NATO members approved Sweden's accession to the
> military alliance back in September. Which member country was
> the final holdout?

Turkey

> 3. The "single-use and take-away items" bylaw went into effect on
> Friday in Toronto. What change will takeout food customers
> notice during interactions with staff, with regard to things
> like napkins and straws?

they will be provided only upon specific request

> 4. Toronto's Transportation Services Division recommended that city
> council increase the penalty for the offence casually referred
> to as "blocking the box" from its current $90 to $260, the same
> penalty given for running a red light. What does it mean to
> "block the box"?

stopping within an intersection

> 5. At an NCAA track competition in Arkansas last weekend,
> Christopher Morales Williams of Vaughan, Ontario, set a new
> indoor world record in his event, with a time of 44.49 seconds.
> However, on Tuesday his world record was denied because the
> "starter information system" had not been connected to the
> starting blocks. What distance did he run?

400 meters

> 6. A popular fast-food restaurant chain was forced to clarify
> this week that the comments their CEO made about "dynamic
> pricing" were not going to result in Uber-style "surge
> pricing", but rather simple discounts during off-peak hours.
> Which restaurant?

Wendy's

> 7. A member of the American rock band the Eagles was in a New York
> courtroom this week to maintain his ownership of handwritten
> draft lyrics for the song "Hotel California", which were
> allegedly stolen and put up for auction. Name the Eagle
> involved.

Don Henley

> * Game 6 (2024-03-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. All over the world, fans of martial arts manga are mourning the
> death of Akira Toriyama. What's the name of his influential
> manga series that spawned one of the highest-grossing media
> franchises of all time, including movies, video games, and TV
> series?

"Dragon Ball"

> 3. It was revealed last week that Taylor Swift is the 6th cousin
> 3 times removed of which renowned poetess?

Emily Dickinson

> 7. Joe Biden won every primary on Super Tuesday except the
> same territory that he lost to Michael Bloomberg in 2020.
> Which jurisdiction was that outlier?

American Samoa

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6

<XnsB1348DDA9E958Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6077&group=rec.games.trivia#6077

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 13:56:41 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 12:56 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5 (2024-03-04), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Sweden became the 32nd member of the NATO alliance last week.
> Most existing NATO members approved Sweden's accession to the
> military alliance back in September. Which member country was
> the final holdout?

I think the quiz masters were getting ahead of the events a little
bit. Sweden became a member last week - that is the week the quiz
took place. There were a few formal steps to take.

Anyway, the country was Hungary.
> 10. Last week saw some wild temperature swings. The temperature
> at Toronto Pearson Airport hit 16.5° at noon on Wednesday --
> followed by a precipitous drop. Within 2°, how far did the
> temperature drop in just 17 minutes?

10

Re: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6

<ut03d9$1tl18$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6083&group=rec.games.trivia#6083

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 17:05:59 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 00:05 UTC

On 3/12/24 08:23, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2024-03-04), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Sweden became the 32nd member of the NATO alliance last week.
> Most existing NATO members approved Sweden's accession to the
> military alliance back in September. Which member country was
> the final holdout?

Hungary

> 2. The Alberta government announced that it will bar certain types
> of projects from prime land in the province. What kind of
> projects will be barred?

solar farms; wind turbines

> 3. The "single-use and take-away items" bylaw went into effect on
> Friday in Toronto. What change will takeout food customers
> notice during interactions with staff, with regard to things
> like napkins and straws?

must be requested, rather than automatically supplied

> 4. Toronto's Transportation Services Division recommended that city
> council increase the penalty for the offence casually referred
> to as "blocking the box" from its current $90 to $260, the same
> penalty given for running a red light. What does it mean to
> "block the box"?

stop inside the intersection as delineated by the crosswalk lines

> 5. At an NCAA track competition in Arkansas last weekend,
> Christopher Morales Williams of Vaughan, Ontario, set a new
> indoor world record in his event, with a time of 44.49 seconds.
> However, on Tuesday his world record was denied because the
> "starter information system" had not been connected to the
> starting blocks. What distance did he run?

400 meters

> 6. A popular fast-food restaurant chain was forced to clarify
> this week that the comments their CEO made about "dynamic
> pricing" were not going to result in Uber-style "surge
> pricing", but rather simple discounts during off-peak hours.
> Which restaurant?
>
> 7. A member of the American rock band the Eagles was in a New York
> courtroom this week to maintain his ownership of handwritten
> draft lyrics for the song "Hotel California", which were
> allegedly stolen and put up for auction. Name the Eagle
> involved.

Henley

> 8. At the 2024 Scotties Tournament of Hearts in Calgary, Rachel
> Homan won the Canadian women's curling championship. It was
> the last Hearts game for her opponent, who has 6 Canadian
> championships, 2 world championships, and an Olympic gold medal
> to her credit. Name Homan's legendary opponent.
>
> 9. Formerly known as Enerjet, and rebranded with an animal name
> in 2021, this Calgary-based discount airline ceased operations
> last Monday. Name it.
>
> 10. Last week saw some wild temperature swings. The temperature
> at Toronto Pearson Airport hit 16.5° at noon on Wednesday --
> followed by a precipitous drop. Within 2°, how far did the
> temperature drop in just 17 minutes?
>

> * Game 6 (2024-03-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. All over the world, fans of martial arts manga are mourning the
> death of Akira Toriyama. What's the name of his influential
> manga series that spawned one of the highest-grossing media
> franchises of all time, including movies, video games, and TV
> series?
>
> 2. After a number of appeals, visas were finally issued to
> participants of the Candidates Tournament, a prestigious event
> to take place next month in Toronto. What is this event?
>
> 3. It was revealed last week that Taylor Swift is the 6th cousin
> 3 times removed of which renowned poetess?
>
> 4. The 2024 Montana's Brier (that's men's curling, for those of
> you who don't know) took place last week in the Brandt Centre --
> in which Canadian city?

Regina

> 5. Referring to changes in Major League Baseball, Jimmy Fallon joked
> that "we're going to see a lot more dingers". What specifically
> was he referring to? >
> 6. Which feature-length film received the most Canadian Screen
> Awards nominations, *and* won the best feature prize from the
> Toronto Critics Association?
>
> 7. Joe Biden won every primary on Super Tuesday except the
> same territory that he lost to Michael Bloomberg in 2020.
> Which jurisdiction was that outlier?

American Samoa

> 8. Carolyn Parrish and Peter McCallion are two of the 5 candidates
> who registered on opening day for what mayoralty race?
>
> 9. While its organizers seek creditor protection, what annual
> Montreal event was cancelled for the first time since its
> inception 40 years ago?
>
> 10. Which country's prime minister was Justin Trudeau going to
> host at the AGO, until pro-Palestinian protesters forced it to
> be cancelled?

Israel

--
Dan Tilque

QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6 answers

<jxydnfpvMZ0PLWn4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6085&group=rec.games.trivia#6085

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Current Events Games 5-6 answers
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 20:33:22 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 20:33 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date... For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5 (2024-03-04), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Sweden became the 32nd member of the NATO alliance last week.
> Most existing NATO members approved Sweden's accession to the
> military alliance back in September. Which member country was
> the final holdout?

Hungary. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

> 2. The Alberta government announced that it will bar certain types
> of projects from prime land in the province. What kind of
> projects will be barred?

Renewable-energy projects such as wind farms and solar farms.
(Anything close was acceptable.) 4 for Dan Tilque (the hard way).

> 3. The "single-use and take-away items" bylaw went into effect on
> Friday in Toronto. What change will takeout food customers
> notice during interactions with staff, with regard to things
> like napkins and straws?

They can be given only if explicitly asked for, or explicitly offered
and accepted. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Toronto's Transportation Services Division recommended that city
> council increase the penalty for the offence casually referred
> to as "blocking the box" from its current $90 to $260, the same
> penalty given for running a red light. What does it mean to
> "block the box"?

To enter an intersection without being able to continue across it, so
you then have to stop in the intersection and foul the cross traffic.
3 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. At an NCAA track competition in Arkansas last weekend,
> Christopher Morales Williams of Vaughan, Ontario, set a new
> indoor world record in his event, with a time of 44.49 seconds.
> However, on Tuesday his world record was denied because the
> "starter information system" had not been connected to the
> starting blocks. What distance did he run?

400 m. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 6. A popular fast-food restaurant chain was forced to clarify
> this week that the comments their CEO made about "dynamic
> pricing" were not going to result in Uber-style "surge
> pricing", but rather simple discounts during off-peak hours.
> Which restaurant?

Wendy's. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 7. A member of the American rock band the Eagles was in a New York
> courtroom this week to maintain his ownership of handwritten
> draft lyrics for the song "Hotel California", which were
> allegedly stolen and put up for auction. Name the Eagle
> involved.

Don Henley. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. At the 2024 Scotties Tournament of Hearts in Calgary, Rachel
> Homan won the Canadian women's curling championship. It was
> the last Hearts game for her opponent, who has 6 Canadian
> championships, 2 world championships, and an Olympic gold medal
> to her credit. Name Homan's legendary opponent.

Jennifer Jones.

> 9. Formerly known as Enerjet, and rebranded with an animal name
> in 2021, this Calgary-based discount airline ceased operations
> last Monday. Name it.

Lynx Air.

> 10. Last week saw some wild temperature swings. The temperature
> at Toronto Pearson Airport hit 16.5° at noon on Wednesday --
> followed by a precipitous drop. Within 2°, how far did the
> temperature drop in just 17 minutes?

10° (accepting 8-12° -- or 14.4-21.6° if anyone was so antiquated
as to specify an answer in Fahrenheit). 4 for Erland.

> * Game 6 (2024-03-11), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. All over the world, fans of martial arts manga are mourning the
> death of Akira Toriyama. What's the name of his influential
> manga series that spawned one of the highest-grossing media
> franchises of all time, including movies, video games, and TV
> series?

"Dragon Ball". 4 for Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 2. After a number of appeals, visas were finally issued to
> participants of the Candidates Tournament, a prestigious event
> to take place next month in Toronto. What is this event?

Chess tournament.

> 3. It was revealed last week that Taylor Swift is the 6th cousin
> 3 times removed of which renowned poetess?

Emily Dickinson. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 4. The 2024 Montana's Brier (that's men's curling, for those of
> you who don't know) took place last week in the Brandt Centre --
> in which Canadian city?

Regina. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 5. Referring to changes in Major League Baseball, Jimmy Fallon joked
> that "we're going to see a lot more dingers". What specifically
> was he referring to?

The new trousers are, well, not entirely opaque.

> 6. Which feature-length film received the most Canadian Screen
> Awards nominations, *and* won the best feature prize from the
> Toronto Critics Association?

"BlackBerry".

> 7. Joe Biden won every primary on Super Tuesday except the
> same territory that he lost to Michael Bloomberg in 2020.
> Which jurisdiction was that outlier?

American Samoa. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Carolyn Parrish and Peter McCallion are two of the 5 candidates
> who registered on opening day for what mayoralty race?

Mississauga.

> 9. While its organizers seek creditor protection, what annual
> Montreal event was cancelled for the first time since its
> inception 40 years ago?

Just for Laughs.

> 10. Which country's prime minister was Justin Trudeau going to
> host at the AGO, until pro-Palestinian protesters forced it to
> be cancelled?

Italy.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 BEST FOUR
Stephen Perry 39 40 -- -- -- -- 79
Joshua Kreitzer 15 20 4 8 19 12 66
Pete Gayde 15 16 12 19 -- -- 62
Dan Tilque -- -- 8 16 23 8 55
Dan Blum 8 16 4 12 15 6 51
Erland Sommarskog 8 12 4 8 8 0 36

--
Mark Brader | "Have you got anything without Spam in it?"
Toronto | "Well, there's Spam, egg, sausage, and Spam.