I love mankind ... It's people I hate. -- Schulz

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: movies & cars, secrets challenge

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challengeMark Brader
+* Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challengeDan Tilque
|`- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challengeMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challengeDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challengeswp
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challengeErland Sommarskog
`- QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: movies & cars, secrets challengeMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challenge

<t8acnST1aY0UVmf4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6096&group=rec.games.trivia#6096

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 11:42:01 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 11:42 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-12,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movies and Cars with the Same Name

Please see the *two* handouts at:

http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/3-9/film.pdf
http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/3-9/cars.pdf

The picture numbers on both handouts are synchronized, and I've
rearranged the questions into that same order. (So there were
8 decoys, which here are interspersed with the others -- answer
for the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.)

Each picture on the first handout shows a poster, DVD cover, or
the like, for a particular movie (or TV-movie or TV series) --
*whose title is the same as a model of car (or similar vehicle)*,
which the corresponding picture on the second handout shows.

We'll give you the date of the movie and the maker of the vehicle.
You simply have to give that name that's the same (or practically
the same) for each.

1. Movie, 2000; vehicle by Jeep.
2. Decoy -- movie, 1997; vehicle by Nissan.
3, Movie, 2011; vehicle by Kia.
4. Decoy -- movie, 1966; vehicle by Cadillac.
5. Decoy -- movie, 2000; vehicle by Jeep.
6. Decoy -- movie, 1999; vehicle by Toyota.
7. TV-movie, 2019; vehicle by Chevrolet.
8. Movie, 2008; vehicle by Ford.
9. Decoy -- movie, 2011; vehicle by Chevrolet.
10. Decoy -- movie, 1943; vehicle by Jeep.
11. Movie, 2017; vehicle by Porsche.
12. Movie, 1986; vehicle by Toyota.
13. TV series debuted in 2014; vehicle by Mitsubishi.

14. Movie, 1994; vehicle by Ford (who also recently revived the
name for a new pick-up truck, not shown).

15. Decoy -- movie, 1985; vehicle by Chevrolet.
16. Movie, 2007; vehicle by Chrysler.
17. Movie, 2020; vehicle by Kia.
18. Decoy -- movie, 2001; vehicle by Chrysler.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh nafjrerq
Gbevab sbe n pregnva dhrfgvba, gung'f bayl cneg bs gur nafjre.
Tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr vg.

** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Secrets and Lies

The categories are:
A. Science: Medical Mysteries
B. Literature: Noms de Plume
C. Entertainment: Based on a True Story
D. History: Unsolved Mysteries
E. Miscellaneous: Secret Identities
F. Canadiana Geography: Hidden Toronto

* A. Medical Mysteries

A1. In 2016, American and Canadian embassy staff in Cuba reported
feeling ill, with symptoms including headaches, ringing
in the ears, and cognitive dysfunction. Suggested causes
of the mystery disease included microwave or ultrasound
weapons wielded by Russian military intelligence. What is
the name given to this illness?

A2. Between 1485 and 1551, England was struck with a
deadly plague. The patient would break out into a sweat,
accompanied by delirium and a rapid pulse, which often
led to death within hours. Contemporary reports said this
contagion was God's vengeance for the killing of Richard III.
What is the name given to this mystery disease?

* B. Noms de Plume

B1. This popular author is so prolific that between 1977 and
1985, his publisher insisted that he write under the name
Richard Bachman to avoid saturating the market. Who is he?

B2. She's a legend in her area of genre fiction, but wrote
literary novels under the name of Mary Westmacott, and
considered them to be her best work. Who is she?

* C. Based on a True Story

C1. This 1998 political thriller starring John Travolta and
Emma Thompson is a thinly veiled dramatization of Bill
Clinton's presidential campaign. What is the title?

C2. This 2003 indie comedy-romance starring Scarlett Johansssen
is a fictionalization of director Sophia Coppola's failing
marriage. What is the title?

* D. Unsolved Mysteries

D1. He hijacked a plane in 1971, demanded $200,000 US in
ransom money, and parachuted out into the wilds of
southwestern Washington. He's never been identified,
no remains have ever been found, and the money has never
been recovered. What name is he known by?

D2. It was 1990 when this fine art museum in Boston was robbed
of 12 valuable paintings by thieves disguised as police
offers. The artworks have never been recovered and the
museum has a $10,000,000 US reward for any information
leading to their return. What museum was it?

* E. Secret Identities

E1. He's arguably the world's most famous street artist, as well
as a social activist and filmmaker. Although he's made
plenty of money through sales of his books and authenticated
prints, his true identity remains unknown. What name is
he known by?

E2. He's not the founder of Bitcoin, but he was fundamental
in its development, and he also devised the first blockchain
database. People suspect he's Asian, and educated in
Britain, but apart from that, we only know him by this
pseudonym.

* F. Hidden Toronto

F1. Give the full name of the "secret" TTC station often used
as a location for movies such as "Mimic", "The Recruit",
and "Johnny Mnemonic".

F2. Originally a vaudeville venue, this location was abandoned
in 1928 for more than 50 years -- during which time most
Torontonians had no idea there was a theater 7 floors up
on Yonge Street. What is its name?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Strange commas are enshrined in
msb@vex.net | the US Constitution." --James Hogg

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challenge

<uteuvf$1i87p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6097&group=rec.games.trivia#6097

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 08:22:21 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 15:22 UTC

On 3/20/24 04:42, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movies and Cars with the Same Name
>
> Please see the *two* handouts at:
>
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/3-9/film.pdf
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/3-9/cars.pdf
>
> The picture numbers on both handouts are synchronized, and I've
> rearranged the questions into that same order. (So there were
> 8 decoys, which here are interspersed with the others -- answer
> for the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.)
>
> Each picture on the first handout shows a poster, DVD cover, or
> the like, for a particular movie (or TV-movie or TV series) --
> *whose title is the same as a model of car (or similar vehicle)*,
> which the corresponding picture on the second handout shows.
>
> We'll give you the date of the movie and the maker of the vehicle.
> You simply have to give that name that's the same (or practically
> the same) for each.
>
> 1. Movie, 2000; vehicle by Jeep.

Highlander

> 2. Decoy -- movie, 1997; vehicle by Nissan.
> 3, Movie, 2011; vehicle by Kia.
> 4. Decoy -- movie, 1966; vehicle by Cadillac.
> 5. Decoy -- movie, 2000; vehicle by Jeep.
> 6. Decoy -- movie, 1999; vehicle by Toyota.
> 7. TV-movie, 2019; vehicle by Chevrolet.
> 8. Movie, 2008; vehicle by Ford.
> 9. Decoy -- movie, 2011; vehicle by Chevrolet.
> 10. Decoy -- movie, 1943; vehicle by Jeep.
> 11. Movie, 2017; vehicle by Porsche.

911

> 12. Movie, 1986; vehicle by Toyota.
> 13. TV series debuted in 2014; vehicle by Mitsubishi.
>
> 14. Movie, 1994; vehicle by Ford (who also recently revived the
> name for a new pick-up truck, not shown).

Maverick

> 15. Decoy -- movie, 1985; vehicle by Chevrolet.
> 16. Movie, 2007; vehicle by Chrysler.
> 17. Movie, 2020; vehicle by Kia.
> 18. Decoy -- movie, 2001; vehicle by Chrysler.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh nafjrerq
> Gbevab sbe n pregnva dhrfgvba, gung'f bayl cneg bs gur nafjre.
> Tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr vg.
>

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Secrets and Lies
>
> The categories are:
> A. Science: Medical Mysteries
> B. Literature: Noms de Plume
> C. Entertainment: Based on a True Story
> D. History: Unsolved Mysteries
> E. Miscellaneous: Secret Identities
> F. Canadiana Geography: Hidden Toronto
>

> * A. Medical Mysteries
>
> A1. In 2016, American and Canadian embassy staff in Cuba reported
> feeling ill, with symptoms including headaches, ringing
> in the ears, and cognitive dysfunction. Suggested causes
> of the mystery disease included microwave or ultrasound
> weapons wielded by Russian military intelligence. What is
> the name given to this illness?

Havana Syndrome

> A2. Between 1485 and 1551, England was struck with a
> deadly plague. The patient would break out into a sweat,
> accompanied by delirium and a rapid pulse, which often
> led to death within hours. Contemporary reports said this
> contagion was God's vengeance for the killing of Richard III.
> What is the name given to this mystery disease?
>

> * B. Noms de Plume
>
> B1. This popular author is so prolific that between 1977 and
> 1985, his publisher insisted that he write under the name
> Richard Bachman to avoid saturating the market. Who is he?
>
> B2. She's a legend in her area of genre fiction, but wrote
> literary novels under the name of Mary Westmacott, and
> considered them to be her best work. Who is she?
>

> * C. Based on a True Story
>
> C1. This 1998 political thriller starring John Travolta and
> Emma Thompson is a thinly veiled dramatization of Bill
> Clinton's presidential campaign. What is the title?

Primary Colors

> C2. This 2003 indie comedy-romance starring Scarlett Johansssen
> is a fictionalization of director Sophia Coppola's failing
> marriage. What is the title?
>

> * D. Unsolved Mysteries
>
> D1. He hijacked a plane in 1971, demanded $200,000 US in
> ransom money, and parachuted out into the wilds of
> southwestern Washington. He's never been identified,
> no remains have ever been found, and the money has never
> been recovered. What name is he known by?

D. B. Cooper

(nitpick: A small amount of the money, about $5,000, was found on a
river bank. In 1985, I believe.)

> D2. It was 1990 when this fine art museum in Boston was robbed
> of 12 valuable paintings by thieves disguised as police
> offers. The artworks have never been recovered and the
> museum has a $10,000,000 US reward for any information
> leading to their return. What museum was it?
>

> * E. Secret Identities
>
> E1. He's arguably the world's most famous street artist, as well
> as a social activist and filmmaker. Although he's made
> plenty of money through sales of his books and authenticated
> prints, his true identity remains unknown. What name is
> he known by?

Banksy

> E2. He's not the founder of Bitcoin, but he was fundamental
> in its development, and he also devised the first blockchain
> database. People suspect he's Asian, and educated in
> Britain, but apart from that, we only know him by this
> pseudonym.

Satoshi Nakamoto

> * F. Hidden Toronto
>
> F1. Give the full name of the "secret" TTC station often used
> as a location for movies such as "Mimic", "The Recruit",
> and "Johnny Mnemonic".
>
> F2. Originally a vaudeville venue, this location was abandoned
> in 1928 for more than 50 years -- during which time most
> Torontonians had no idea there was a theater 7 floors up
> on Yonge Street. What is its name?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challenge

<mPmdnX6SdthrYmf4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6098&group=rec.games.trivia#6098

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 15:25:42 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 15:25 UTC

Dan Tilque:
> (nitpick: A small amount of the money, about $5,000, was found on a
> river bank. In 1985, I believe.)

Yeah, yeah. That doesn't count as recovering "the money".
--
Mark Brader | "You're right. That both makes perfect sense,
Toronto | but at the same time, makes *no sense at all*."

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challenge

<utfsvr$t5e$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6099&group=rec.games.trivia#6099

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 23:54:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 23:54 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movies and Cars with the Same Name

> 1. Movie, 2000; vehicle by Jeep.

Patriot

> 3, Movie, 2011; vehicle by Kia.

Rio

> 7. TV-movie, 2019; vehicle by Chevrolet.

El Camino

> 8. Movie, 2008; vehicle by Ford.

Gran Turismo

> 11. Movie, 2017; vehicle by Porsche.

9/11

> 12. Movie, 1986; vehicle by Toyota.

Highlander

> 13. TV series debuted in 2014; vehicle by Mitsubishi.

Outlander

> 14. Movie, 1994; vehicle by Ford (who also recently revived the
> name for a new pick-up truck, not shown).

Maverick

> 16. Movie, 2007; vehicle by Chrysler.

300

> 17. Movie, 2020; vehicle by Kia.

Soul

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Secrets and Lies

> * B. Noms de Plume

> B1. This popular author is so prolific that between 1977 and
> 1985, his publisher insisted that he write under the name
> Richard Bachman to avoid saturating the market. Who is he?

Steven King

> B2. She's a legend in her area of genre fiction, but wrote
> literary novels under the name of Mary Westmacott, and
> considered them to be her best work. Who is she?

Agatha Christie

> * C. Based on a True Story

> C1. This 1998 political thriller starring John Travolta and
> Emma Thompson is a thinly veiled dramatization of Bill
> Clinton's presidential campaign. What is the title?

Primary Colors

> C2. This 2003 indie comedy-romance starring Scarlett Johansssen
> is a fictionalization of director Sophia Coppola's failing
> marriage. What is the title?

Lost in Translation

> * D. Unsolved Mysteries

> D1. He hijacked a plane in 1971, demanded $200,000 US in
> ransom money, and parachuted out into the wilds of
> southwestern Washington. He's never been identified,
> no remains have ever been found, and the money has never
> been recovered. What name is he known by?

D. B. Cooper

> D2. It was 1990 when this fine art museum in Boston was robbed
> of 12 valuable paintings by thieves disguised as police
> offers. The artworks have never been recovered and the
> museum has a $10,000,000 US reward for any information
> leading to their return. What museum was it?

Gardner

> * E. Secret Identities

> E1. He's arguably the world's most famous street artist, as well
> as a social activist and filmmaker. Although he's made
> plenty of money through sales of his books and authenticated
> prints, his true identity remains unknown. What name is
> he known by?

Banksy

> E2. He's not the founder of Bitcoin, but he was fundamental
> in its development, and he also devised the first blockchain
> database. People suspect he's Asian, and educated in
> Britain, but apart from that, we only know him by this
> pseudonym.

Nakamoto

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challenge

<XnsB13BD466A2E16stephenwperrygmailco@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6100&group=rec.games.trivia#6100

From: swp@aol.com (swp)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 00:52:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: swp - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 00:52 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-12,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
> of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movies and Cars with the Same Name
>
> Please see the *two* handouts at:
>
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/3-9/film.pdf
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/3-9/cars.pdf

> The picture numbers on both handouts are synchronized, and I've
> rearranged the questions into that same order. (So there were
> 8 decoys, which here are interspersed with the others -- answer
> for the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.)

noted

> Each picture on the first handout shows a poster, DVD cover, or
> the like, for a particular movie (or TV-movie or TV series) --
> *whose title is the same as a model of car (or similar vehicle)*,
> which the corresponding picture on the second handout shows.
>
> We'll give you the date of the movie and the maker of the vehicle.
> You simply have to give that name that's the same (or practically
> the same) for each.
>
> 1. Movie, 2000; vehicle by Jeep.

patriot

> 2. Decoy -- movie, 1997; vehicle by Nissan.

cube

> 3, Movie, 2011; vehicle by Kia.

rio

> 4. Decoy -- movie, 1966; vehicle by Cadillac.

el dorado

> 5. Decoy -- movie, 2000; vehicle by Jeep.

gladiator

> 6. Decoy -- movie, 1999; vehicle by Toyota.

matrix

> 7. TV-movie, 2019; vehicle by Chevrolet.

el camino

> 8. Movie, 2008; vehicle by Ford.

gran torino

> 9. Decoy -- movie, 2011; vehicle by Chevrolet.

monte carlo

> 10. Decoy -- movie, 1943; vehicle by Jeep.

sahara

> 11. Movie, 2017; vehicle by Porsche.

8/11

> 12. Movie, 1986; vehicle by Toyota.

highlander

> 13. TV series debuted in 2014; vehicle by Mitsubishi.

outlander

> 14. Movie, 1994; vehicle by Ford (who also recently revived the
> name for a new pick-up truck, not shown).

maverick

> 15. Decoy -- movie, 1985; vehicle by Chevrolet.

silverado

> 16. Movie, 2007; vehicle by Chrysler.

300

> 17. Movie, 2020; vehicle by Kia.

soul

> 18. Decoy -- movie, 2001; vehicle by Chrysler.

town and county

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: If you answered
> Torino for a certain question, that's only part of the answer.
>

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Secrets and Lies
>
> The categories are:
> A. Science: Medical Mysteries
> B. Literature: Noms de Plume
> C. Entertainment: Based on a True Story
> D. History: Unsolved Mysteries
> E. Miscellaneous: Secret Identities
> F. Canadiana Geography: Hidden Toronto
>

> * A. Medical Mysteries
>
> A1. In 2016, American and Canadian embassy staff in Cuba reported
> feeling ill, with symptoms including headaches, ringing
> in the ears, and cognitive dysfunction. Suggested causes
> of the mystery disease included microwave or ultrasound
> weapons wielded by Russian military intelligence. What is
> the name given to this illness?

havana syndrome

> A2. Between 1485 and 1551, England was struck with a
> deadly plague. The patient would break out into a sweat,
> accompanied by delirium and a rapid pulse, which often
> led to death within hours. Contemporary reports said this
> contagion was God's vengeance for the killing of Richard III.
> What is the name given to this mystery disease?

the black death

> * B. Noms de Plume
>
> B1. This popular author is so prolific that between 1977 and
> 1985, his publisher insisted that he write under the name
> Richard Bachman to avoid saturating the market. Who is he?

stephen king

> B2. She's a legend in her area of genre fiction, but wrote
> literary novels under the name of Mary Westmacott, and
> considered them to be her best work. Who is she?

agatha christie

> * C. Based on a True Story
>
> C1. This 1998 political thriller starring John Travolta and
> Emma Thompson is a thinly veiled dramatization of Bill
> Clinton's presidential campaign. What is the title?

primary colors

> C2. This 2003 indie comedy-romance starring Scarlett Johansssen
> is a fictionalization of director Sophia Coppola's failing
> marriage. What is the title?

lost in translation [bill murray was the star]

> * D. Unsolved Mysteries
>
> D1. He hijacked a plane in 1971, demanded $200,000 US in
> ransom money, and parachuted out into the wilds of
> southwestern Washington. He's never been identified,
> no remains have ever been found, and the money has never
> been recovered. What name is he known by?

d b cooper

> D2. It was 1990 when this fine art museum in Boston was robbed
> of 12 valuable paintings by thieves disguised as police
> offers. The artworks have never been recovered and the
> museum has a $10,000,000 US reward for any information
> leading to their return. What museum was it?

isabella stewart gardner museum [to quote bart simpson, "I didn't do it,
nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing."]

> * E. Secret Identities
>
> E1. He's arguably the world's most famous street artist, as well
> as a social activist and filmmaker. Although he's made
> plenty of money through sales of his books and authenticated
> prints, his true identity remains unknown. What name is
> he known by?

banksy

> E2. He's not the founder of Bitcoin, but he was fundamental
> in its development, and he also devised the first blockchain
> database. People suspect he's Asian, and educated in
> Britain, but apart from that, we only know him by this
> pseudonym.

satoshi nakamoto

> * F. Hidden Toronto
>
> F1. Give the full name of the "secret" TTC station often used
> as a location for movies such as "Mimic", "The Recruit",
> and "Johnny Mnemonic".

bay station

> F2. Originally a vaudeville venue, this location was abandoned
> in 1928 for more than 50 years -- during which time most
> Torontonians had no idea there was a theater 7 floors up
> on Yonge Street. What is its name?

the elgin theater??

swp

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challenge

<utglhu$22a6c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6101&group=rec.games.trivia#6101

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 01:53:50 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 06:53 UTC

On 3/20/2024 6:42 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movies and Cars with the Same Name
>
> Please see the *two* handouts at:
>
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/3-9/film.pdf
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/3-9/cars.pdf
>
> The picture numbers on both handouts are synchronized, and I've
> rearranged the questions into that same order. (So there were
> 8 decoys, which here are interspersed with the others -- answer
> for the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.)
>
> Each picture on the first handout shows a poster, DVD cover, or
> the like, for a particular movie (or TV-movie or TV series) --
> *whose title is the same as a model of car (or similar vehicle)*,
> which the corresponding picture on the second handout shows.
>
> We'll give you the date of the movie and the maker of the vehicle.
> You simply have to give that name that's the same (or practically
> the same) for each.
>
> 1. Movie, 2000; vehicle by Jeep.

Patriot

> 2. Decoy -- movie, 1997; vehicle by Nissan.

Cube

> 3, Movie, 2011; vehicle by Kia.

Rio

> 4. Decoy -- movie, 1966; vehicle by Cadillac.

El Dorado

> 5. Decoy -- movie, 2000; vehicle by Jeep.

Gladiator

> 6. Decoy -- movie, 1999; vehicle by Toyota.

Matrix

> 7. TV-movie, 2019; vehicle by Chevrolet.

El Camino

> 8. Movie, 2008; vehicle by Ford.

Gran Torino
> 11. Movie, 2017; vehicle by Porsche.

911

> 12. Movie, 1986; vehicle by Toyota.

Highlander

> 13. TV series debuted in 2014; vehicle by Mitsubishi.

Outlander

> 14. Movie, 1994; vehicle by Ford (who also recently revived the
> name for a new pick-up truck, not shown).

Maverick

> 15. Decoy -- movie, 1985; vehicle by Chevrolet.

Silverado

> 16. Movie, 2007; vehicle by Chrysler.

300

> 17. Movie, 2020; vehicle by Kia.

Soul

> 18. Decoy -- movie, 2001; vehicle by Chrysler.

Town and Country

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Secrets and Lies
>
> * A. Medical Mysteries
>
> A1. In 2016, American and Canadian embassy staff in Cuba reported
> feeling ill, with symptoms including headaches, ringing
> in the ears, and cognitive dysfunction. Suggested causes
> of the mystery disease included microwave or ultrasound
> weapons wielded by Russian military intelligence. What is
> the name given to this illness?

Havana syndrome

> * B. Noms de Plume
>
> B1. This popular author is so prolific that between 1977 and
> 1985, his publisher insisted that he write under the name
> Richard Bachman to avoid saturating the market. Who is he?

King

> B2. She's a legend in her area of genre fiction, but wrote
> literary novels under the name of Mary Westmacott, and
> considered them to be her best work. Who is she?

Christie

> * C. Based on a True Story
>
> C1. This 1998 political thriller starring John Travolta and
> Emma Thompson is a thinly veiled dramatization of Bill
> Clinton's presidential campaign. What is the title?

"Primary Colors"

> C2. This 2003 indie comedy-romance starring Scarlett Johansssen
> is a fictionalization of director Sophia Coppola's failing
> marriage. What is the title?

"Lost in Translation"

> * D. Unsolved Mysteries
>
> D1. He hijacked a plane in 1971, demanded $200,000 US in
> ransom money, and parachuted out into the wilds of
> southwestern Washington. He's never been identified,
> no remains have ever been found, and the money has never
> been recovered. What name is he known by?

D. B. Cooper

> D2. It was 1990 when this fine art museum in Boston was robbed
> of 12 valuable paintings by thieves disguised as police
> offers. The artworks have never been recovered and the
> museum has a $10,000,000 US reward for any information
> leading to their return. What museum was it?

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

> * E. Secret Identities
>
> E1. He's arguably the world's most famous street artist, as well
> as a social activist and filmmaker. Although he's made
> plenty of money through sales of his books and authenticated
> prints, his true identity remains unknown. What name is
> he known by?

Banksy

> E2. He's not the founder of Bitcoin, but he was fundamental
> in its development, and he also devised the first blockchain
> database. People suspect he's Asian, and educated in
> Britain, but apart from that, we only know him by this
> pseudonym.

Satoshi Nakamoto

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: movies & cars, secrets challenge

<XnsB13CF116C3B16Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6102&group=rec.games.trivia#6102

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 23:42:00 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 22:42 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movies and Cars with the Same Name
>
> 1. Movie, 2000; vehicle by Jeep.

Braveheart

> 11. Movie, 2017; vehicle by Porsche.

Targa

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Secrets and Lies
>
> * C. Based on a True Story
>
> C1. This 1998 political thriller starring John Travolta and
> Emma Thompson is a thinly veiled dramatization of Bill
> Clinton's presidential campaign. What is the title?

Wag the Dog
> C2. This 2003 indie comedy-romance starring Scarlett Johansssen
> is a fictionalization of director Sophia Coppola's failing
> marriage. What is the title?

Lost in Translation
> * E. Secret Identities
>
> E1. He's arguably the world's most famous street artist, as well
> as a social activist and filmmaker. Although he's made
> plenty of money through sales of his books and authenticated
> prints, his true identity remains unknown. What name is
> he known by?

Banksy
> E2. He's not the founder of Bitcoin, but he was fundamental
> in its development, and he also devised the first blockchain
> database. People suspect he's Asian, and educated in
> Britain, but apart from that, we only know him by this
> pseudonym.

Santoshi Nakamoto

QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: movies & cars, secrets challenge

<M2idnabXm61bc2P4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6104&group=rec.games.trivia#6104

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: movies & cars, secrets challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:01:26 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:01 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-12,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 3 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movies and Cars with the Same Name

> Please see the *two* handouts at:

> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/3-9/film.pdf
> http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/3-9/cars.pdf

> The picture numbers on both handouts are synchronized, and I've
> rearranged the questions into that same order. (So there were
> 8 decoys, which here are interspersed with the others -- answer
> for the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.)

> Each picture on the first handout shows a poster, DVD cover, or
> the like, for a particular movie (or TV-movie or TV series) --
> *whose title is the same as a model of car (or similar vehicle)*,
> which the corresponding picture on the second handout shows.

> We'll give you the date of the movie and the maker of the vehicle.
> You simply have to give that name that's the same (or practically
> the same) for each.

> 1. Movie, 2000; vehicle by Jeep.

Patriot (movie "The Patriot"). 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 2. Decoy -- movie, 1997; vehicle by Nissan.

Cube. Stephen and Joshua got this.

> 3. Movie, 2011; vehicle by Kia.

Rio. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 4. Decoy -- movie, 1966; vehicle by Cadillac.

Eldorado (movie "El Dorado"). Stephen and Joshua got this.

> 5. Decoy -- movie, 2000; vehicle by Jeep.

Gladiator. Stephen and Joshua got this.

> 6. Decoy -- movie, 1999; vehicle by Toyota.

Matrix (movie "The Matrix"). Stephen and Joshua got this.

> 7. TV-movie, 2019; vehicle by Chevrolet.

El Camino. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 8. Movie, 2008; vehicle by Ford.

Gran Torino. (Both words required: that's the movie title,
and for the car it's the fancier variant of the plain Torino.)
4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 9. Decoy -- movie, 2011; vehicle by Chevrolet.

Monte Carlo. Stephen got this.

> 10. Decoy -- movie, 1943; vehicle by Jeep.

Sahara. Stephen got this.

> 11. Movie, 2017; vehicle by Porsche.

911 (movie "9/11"). 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 12. Movie, 1986; vehicle by Toyota.

Highlander. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 13. TV series debuted in 2014; vehicle by Mitsubishi.

Outlander. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 14. Movie, 1994; vehicle by Ford (who also recently revived the
> name for a new pick-up truck, not shown).

Maverick. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 15. Decoy -- movie, 1985; vehicle by Chevrolet.

Silverado. Stephen and Joshua got this.

> 16. Movie, 2007; vehicle by Chrysler.

300. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 17. Movie, 2020; vehicle by Kia.

Soul. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 18. Decoy -- movie, 2001; vehicle by Chrysler.

Town & Country. Stephen and Joshua got this.

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Secrets and Lies

> The categories are:
> A. Science: Medical Mysteries
> B. Literature: Noms de Plume
> C. Entertainment: Based on a True Story
> D. History: Unsolved Mysteries
> E. Miscellaneous: Secret Identities
> F. Canadiana Geography: Hidden Toronto

> * A. Medical Mysteries

> A1. In 2016, American and Canadian embassy staff in Cuba reported
> feeling ill, with symptoms including headaches, ringing
> in the ears, and cognitive dysfunction. Suggested causes
> of the mystery disease included microwave or ultrasound
> weapons wielded by Russian military intelligence. What is
> the name given to this illness?

Havana syndrome. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Joshua.

> A2. Between 1485 and 1551, England was struck with a
> deadly plague. The patient would break out into a sweat,
> accompanied by delirium and a rapid pulse, which often
> led to death within hours. Contemporary reports said this
> contagion was God's vengeance for the killing of Richard III.
> What is the name given to this mystery disease?

Sweating sickness.

> * B. Noms de Plume

> B1. This popular author is so prolific that between 1977 and
> 1985, his publisher insisted that he write under the name
> Richard Bachman to avoid saturating the market. Who is he?

Stephen King. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> B2. She's a legend in her area of genre fiction, but wrote
> literary novels under the name of Mary Westmacott, and
> considered them to be her best work. Who is she?

Agatha Christie. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> * C. Based on a True Story

> C1. This 1998 political thriller starring John Travolta and
> Emma Thompson is a thinly veiled dramatization of Bill
> Clinton's presidential campaign. What is the title?

"Primary Colors". 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> C2. This 2003 indie comedy-romance starring Scarlett Johansssen
> is a fictionalization of director Sophia Coppola's failing
> marriage. What is the title?

"Lost in Translation". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Erland.

I agree with Stephen: Bill Murray was the star of that one.

> * D. Unsolved Mysteries

> D1. He hijacked a plane in 1971, demanded $200,000 US in
> ransom money, and parachuted out into the wilds of
> southwestern Washington. He's never been identified,
> no remains have ever been found, and the money has never
> been recovered. What name is he known by?

D.B. Cooper. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

He reserved his flight under the name Dan Cooper; D.B. Cooper is
actually the name of a suspect who was cleared.

> D2. It was 1990 when this fine art museum in Boston was robbed
> of 12 valuable paintings by thieves disguised as police
> offers. The artworks have never been recovered and the
> museum has a $10,000,000 US reward for any information
> leading to their return. What museum was it?

(Isabella Stewart) Gardner Museum. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Joshua.

> * E. Secret Identities

> E1. He's arguably the world's most famous street artist, as well
> as a social activist and filmmaker. Although he's made
> plenty of money through sales of his books and authenticated
> prints, his true identity remains unknown. What name is
> he known by?

Banksy. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua,
and Erland.

> E2. He's not the founder of Bitcoin, but he was fundamental
> in its development, and he also devised the first blockchain
> database. People suspect he's Asian, and educated in
> Britain, but apart from that, we only know him by this
> pseudonym.

Satoshi Nakamoto. 4 for everyone.

> * F. Hidden Toronto

> F1. Give the full name of the "secret" TTC station often used
> as a location for movies such as "Mimic", "The Recruit",
> and "Johnny Mnemonic".

Lower Bay (i.e. the disused lower platform of Bay subway station).

> F2. Originally a vaudeville venue, this location was abandoned
> in 1928 for more than 50 years -- during which time most
> Torontonians had no idea there was a theater 7 floors up
> on Yonge Street. What is its name?

Winter Garden.

(It's upstairs from the Elgin.)

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Spo Geo Sci Can Lit Ent Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 2 25 24 37 4 36 40 36 198
Dan Blum -- -- 32 36 0 40 36 32 176
Stephen Perry -- -- 36 40 -- -- 40 36 152
Dan Tilque 0 8 28 36 0 16 8 20 116
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 12 24 0 12 0 12 60
Pete Gayde -- -- 8 8 0 12 -- -- 28

--
Mark Brader "The matryoshka limit: It is impossible
Toronto to nest more than six HO layouts."