Those who can, do; those who can't, simulate.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6 answers: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novels

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novelsMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novelsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novelsDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novelsDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novelsErland Sommarskog
`* QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6 answers: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novelsMark Brader
 `* Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6 answers: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novelsJoshua Kreitzer
  `- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6 answers: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novelsMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novels

<gy2dneP4Go5BGZ77nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6107&group=rec.games.trivia#6107

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novels
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 02:30:52 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 02:30 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 4 - Canadiana History - It's Black History Month

Here are 10 things about Black History in Canada that white people
might know.

1. In 1919 close to 90% of all black men in Canada were in this
profession, leading them to form the first black labor union
in North America. What was their profession?

2. What was Viola Desmond trying to do when she was taken away by
the police?

3. In 1944, which province was the first to pass an act that
prohibited the publication and display of any symbol,
sign, or notice that expressed ethnic, racial, or religious
discrimination?

4. Ontario was one of two provinces that officially had racially
segregated schools. After legislation to end the practice,
Ontario closed its last segregated school in 1965. The other
province waited until 1983 to do the same. Which province?

5. Which prime minister appointed Michaëlle Jean, the first black
Governor-General?

6. In 1858, American abolitionist John Brown came to Upper Canada
to recruit black men for his campaign to wage an uprising and
free the American South from oppression. In which Ontario town
did he hold a series of clandestine meetings?

7. 1967-07-28 was a big day for Toronto's black population as they
held this event for the first time. What was it?

8. Which illustrious African-Canadian won the Giller Prize, the
Trillium Prize, and the Commonwealth Writers' Prize for the novel
"The Polished Hoe"?

9. Who was the first African-Canadian to hold a cabinet position
in the Ontario legislature?

10. In 1969, a black community newspaper opened its offices behind
Honest Ed's and ran smart political commentary and reportage
for the next 17 years. It was also the breeding ground for
a number of writers such as Royson James, Jopjo Chintoh, and
Cecil Foster. What was the name of the publication?

* Game 4, Round 5 - Audio - Spin-Offs, Side Projects, and Supergroups
of the 1980s-1990s

Yes, it's an audio round without the audio. These questions
are about musical groups of the 1980s and 90s that spawned other
musical groups. In each case you can name either the spin-off or
the original group.

1. Vince Clarke left a popular synth-pop group and formed this
successful duo. Name this duo or the group Clarke belonged
to earlier.

2. Jimmy Somerville hit falsetto gold in the mid-'80s with the
trio in this track, and then went on to form a successful duo.
Name either group.

3. A mix of Aussies and Kiwis, the group that performed this 1986
hit formed after the break-up of an earlier band. Name either
group.

4. After the death of their singer in 1980, the surviving members
of a Manchester-area band formed a new group and adopted a more
upbeat danceable sound, like in this track. Name either group.

5. A husband-and-wife rhythm section from a funky new wave band
created a dance-club-oriented side project in 1981 that produced
this often-sampled track. Name either this side project or
the band they came from.

6. Bassist Kim Deal formed this group as a side project from her
main gig with an influential alternative rock group. They
made a big splash in 1993 with this hit. Their name is a
derogatory term for heterosexuals. Name either this group or
its predecessor.

7. After the break-up in 1983 of a leading British ska revival band,
two members of the band formed this successful group.
Name either this group or the earlier one.

8. The drummer from a popular grunge band formed the group in this
track in 1994. Name either group.

9. The next group is a British-American supergroup project of
the mid-80s. Name the project, or the lead singer, or any of
the bands that provided members to the project.

10. Another British supergroup was founded in 1981 with members
from successful progressive rock bands of the 70s. Name the
supergroup in this track or any of the earlier groups that
contributed members.

* Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Last Novels

We give you the title of the last novel of a celebrated author,
as well as the year of publication, and you tell us the name of
the novelist.

1. "The First Man" ("Le Premier homme"). Written in French.
The novel was unfinished at the time of the author's death
in 1961. Published in 1994.

2. "The Garden of Eden". Unfinished at the time of the author's
death in 1961. Published in 1986.

3. "Barney's Version". Published 1997. Author died 2001.

4. "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". Unfinished at the time of the
author's death in 1870. Published the same year.

5. "The Last Tycoon". Unfinished at the time of the author's
death in 1940. Published in 1941.

6. "Memories of my Melancholy Whores" ("Memoria de mis putas
tristes"). Written in Spanish, published 2004; author died
in 2012. This was long assumed to be the author's final novel.
However, it has been announced that a new "final novel", entitled
"Until August" ("Nos vemos en agosto"), will be published later
this year.

7. "Daniel Deronda". Published 1876. Author died 1880.

8. "Sanditon". Unfinished at the time of the author's death
in 1817. Published 1925.

9. "Between the Acts". Published in the year of the author's
death, 1941.

10. "The Tenth Man". Published in 1985. Author died in 1991.

--
Mark Brader | "You can't go around quoting politicians accurately:
Toronto | that's dirty journalism, and you know it!"

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novels

<uu01gf$2jmu4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6109&group=rec.games.trivia#6109

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6: black CanHis, spin-offs, last
novels
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 21:49:50 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 02:49 UTC

On 3/26/2024 9:30 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Canadiana History - It's Black History Month
>
> Here are 10 things about Black History in Canada that white people
> might know.
>
> 3. In 1944, which province was the first to pass an act that
> prohibited the publication and display of any symbol,
> sign, or notice that expressed ethnic, racial, or religious
> discrimination?

Saskatchewan; Alberta

> 4. Ontario was one of two provinces that officially had racially
> segregated schools. After legislation to end the practice,
> Ontario closed its last segregated school in 1965. The other
> province waited until 1983 to do the same. Which province?

New Brunswick; British Columbia

> * Game 4, Round 5 - Audio - Spin-Offs, Side Projects, and Supergroups
> of the 1980s-1990s
>
> Yes, it's an audio round without the audio. These questions
> are about musical groups of the 1980s and 90s that spawned other
> musical groups. In each case you can name either the spin-off or
> the original group.
>
> 1. Vince Clarke left a popular synth-pop group and formed this
> successful duo. Name this duo or the group Clarke belonged
> to earlier.

Erasure; Yaz

> 2. Jimmy Somerville hit falsetto gold in the mid-'80s with the
> trio in this track, and then went on to form a successful duo.
> Name either group.

The Communards

> 4. After the death of their singer in 1980, the surviving members
> of a Manchester-area band formed a new group and adopted a more
> upbeat danceable sound, like in this track. Name either group.

New Order; Joy Division

> 5. A husband-and-wife rhythm section from a funky new wave band
> created a dance-club-oriented side project in 1981 that produced
> this often-sampled track. Name either this side project or
> the band they came from.

Tom Tom Club; Talking Heads

> 6. Bassist Kim Deal formed this group as a side project from her
> main gig with an influential alternative rock group. They
> made a big splash in 1993 with this hit. Their name is a
> derogatory term for heterosexuals. Name either this group or
> its predecessor.

The Breeders

> 7. After the break-up in 1983 of a leading British ska revival band,
> two members of the band formed this successful group.
> Name either this group or the earlier one.

The Specials

> 8. The drummer from a popular grunge band formed the group in this
> track in 1994. Name either group.

Nirvana; Foo Fighters

> 9. The next group is a British-American supergroup project of
> the mid-80s. Name the project, or the lead singer, or any of
> the bands that provided members to the project.

The Honeydrippers; Power Station

> 10. Another British supergroup was founded in 1981 with members
> from successful progressive rock bands of the 70s. Name the
> supergroup in this track or any of the earlier groups that
> contributed members.

Asia; Emerson, Lake & Palmer

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Last Novels
>
> We give you the title of the last novel of a celebrated author,
> as well as the year of publication, and you tell us the name of
> the novelist.
>
> 2. "The Garden of Eden". Unfinished at the time of the author's
> death in 1961. Published in 1986.

Ernest Hemingway

> 3. "Barney's Version". Published 1997. Author died 2001.

Bernard Malamud

> 4. "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". Unfinished at the time of the
> author's death in 1870. Published the same year.

Charles Dickens

> 5. "The Last Tycoon". Unfinished at the time of the author's
> death in 1940. Published in 1941.

F. Scott Fitzgerald

> 7. "Daniel Deronda". Published 1876. Author died 1880.

George Eliot

> 8. "Sanditon". Unfinished at the time of the author's death
> in 1817. Published 1925.

Jane Austen

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novels

<uu03fr$5i9$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6111&group=rec.games.trivia#6111

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 03:23:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 03:23 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Canadiana History - It's Black History Month

> 4. Ontario was one of two provinces that officially had racially
> segregated schools. After legislation to end the practice,
> Ontario closed its last segregated school in 1965. The other
> province waited until 1983 to do the same. Which province?

Quebec

> 5. Which prime minister appointed Micha?lle Jean, the first black
> Governor-General?

Mulroney; Harper

> * Game 4, Round 5 - Audio - Spin-Offs, Side Projects, and Supergroups
> of the 1980s-1990s

> 1. Vince Clarke left a popular synth-pop group and formed this
> successful duo. Name this duo or the group Clarke belonged
> to earlier.

Depeche Mode

> 3. A mix of Aussies and Kiwis, the group that performed this 1986
> hit formed after the break-up of an earlier band. Name either
> group.

Men At Work

> 4. After the death of their singer in 1980, the surviving members
> of a Manchester-area band formed a new group and adopted a more
> upbeat danceable sound, like in this track. Name either group.

Joy Division

> 6. Bassist Kim Deal formed this group as a side project from her
> main gig with an influential alternative rock group. They
> made a big splash in 1993 with this hit. Their name is a
> derogatory term for heterosexuals. Name either this group or
> its predecessor.

Breeders

> 7. After the break-up in 1983 of a leading British ska revival band,
> two members of the band formed this successful group.
> Name either this group or the earlier one.

Specials

> 8. The drummer from a popular grunge band formed the group in this
> track in 1994. Name either group.

Nirvana

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Last Novels

> 1. "The First Man" ("Le Premier homme"). Written in French.
> The novel was unfinished at the time of the author's death
> in 1961. Published in 1994.

Camus

> 4. "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". Unfinished at the time of the
> author's death in 1870. Published the same year.

Dickens

> 5. "The Last Tycoon". Unfinished at the time of the author's
> death in 1940. Published in 1941.

Fitzgerald

> 6. "Memories of my Melancholy Whores" ("Memoria de mis putas
> tristes"). Written in Spanish, published 2004; author died
> in 2012. This was long assumed to be the author's final novel.
> However, it has been announced that a new "final novel", entitled
> "Until August" ("Nos vemos en agosto"), will be published later
> this year.

Garcia Marquez; Vargas Llosa

> 7. "Daniel Deronda". Published 1876. Author died 1880.

Disraeli; Bulwer-Lytton

> 8. "Sanditon". Unfinished at the time of the author's death
> in 1817. Published 1925.

Austen

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novels

<uu0fst$2mjrm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6115&group=rec.games.trivia#6115

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
novels
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:55:25 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 06:55 UTC

On 3/26/24 19:30, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Canadiana History - It's Black History Month
>
> Here are 10 things about Black History in Canada that white people
> might know.
>
> 1. In 1919 close to 90% of all black men in Canada were in this
> profession, leading them to form the first black labor union
> in North America. What was their profession?

train conductor

> [...]
> from successful progressive rock bands of the 70s. Name the
> supergroup in this track or any of the earlier groups that
> contributed members.
>

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Last Novels
>
> We give you the title of the last novel of a celebrated author,
> as well as the year of publication, and you tell us the name of
> the novelist.
>
> 1. "The First Man" ("Le Premier homme"). Written in French.
> The novel was unfinished at the time of the author's death
> in 1961. Published in 1994.
>
> 2. "The Garden of Eden". Unfinished at the time of the author's
> death in 1961. Published in 1986.
>
> 3. "Barney's Version". Published 1997. Author died 2001.
>
> 4. "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". Unfinished at the time of the
> author's death in 1870. Published the same year.
>
> 5. "The Last Tycoon". Unfinished at the time of the author's

W. Somerset Maugham; F. Scott Fitzgerald

> 6. "Memories of my Melancholy Whores" ("Memoria de mis putas
> tristes"). Written in Spanish, published 2004; author died
> in 2012. This was long assumed to be the author's final novel.
> However, it has been announced that a new "final novel", entitled
> "Until August" ("Nos vemos en agosto"), will be published later
> this year.
>
> 7. "Daniel Deronda". Published 1876. Author died 1880.
>
> 8. "Sanditon". Unfinished at the time of the author's death
> in 1817. Published 1925.
>
> 9. "Between the Acts". Published in the year of the author's
> death, 1941.
>
> 10. "The Tenth Man". Published in 1985. Author died in 1991.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novels

<XnsB142CF8C3292FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6117&group=rec.games.trivia#6117

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 20:24:09 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:24 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 4 - Canadiana History - It's Black History Month
>
> Here are 10 things about Black History in Canada that white people
> might know.
>
> 3. In 1944, which province was the first to pass an act that
> prohibited the publication and display of any symbol,
> sign, or notice that expressed ethnic, racial, or religious
> discrimination?

Brittish Columbia
> 4. Ontario was one of two provinces that officially had racially
> segregated schools. After legislation to end the practice,
> Ontario closed its last segregated school in 1965. The other
> province waited until 1983 to do the same. Which province?

New Brunswick
> 7. 1967-07-28 was a big day for Toronto's black population as they
> held this event for the first time. What was it?

St Vitus Day
> * Game 4, Round 5 - Audio - Spin-Offs, Side Projects, and Supergroups
> of the 1980s-1990s
>
> 1. Vince Clarke left a popular synth-pop group and formed this
> successful duo. Name this duo or the group Clarke belonged
> to earlier.

Depeche Mode and Arcadia
> 3. A mix of Aussies and Kiwis, the group that performed this 1986
> hit formed after the break-up of an earlier band. Name either
> group.

Men Without Hats
> 4. After the death of their singer in 1980, the surviving members
> of a Manchester-area band formed a new group and adopted a more
> upbeat danceable sound, like in this track. Name either group.

Joy Division and New Order
> 5. A husband-and-wife rhythm section from a funky new wave band
> created a dance-club-oriented side project in 1981 that produced
> this often-sampled track. Name either this side project or
> the band they came from.

Talking Heads and Tom Tom Club
> 7. After the break-up in 1983 of a leading British ska revival band,
> two members of the band formed this successful group.
> Name either this group or the earlier one.

Madness
> 8. The drummer from a popular grunge band formed the group in this
> track in 1994. Name either group.

Nirvana
> 10. Another British supergroup was founded in 1981 with members
> from successful progressive rock bands of the 70s. Name the
> supergroup in this track or any of the earlier groups that
> contributed members.

Asia with members from Yes, Buggles, ELP, King Crimson, Uriah Heep,
Mogul Thrash and Family.

Lots of bands, but John Wetton was in all four the last ones. I seem
to recall that he also played with Roxy Music, but he was never an
official member.

QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6 answers: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novels

<54KcnT-IvKpDDJr7nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6121&group=rec.games.trivia#6121

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6 answers: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novels
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 04:15:26 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 04:15 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-26,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Canadiana History - It's Black History Month

> Here are 10 things about Black History in Canada that white people
> might know.

> 1. In 1919 close to 90% of all black men in Canada were in this
> profession, leading them to form the first black labor union
> in North America. What was their profession?

Sleeping-car porters. I scored "train conductor" as almost correct.
So, 3 for Dan Tilque.

> 2. What was Viola Desmond trying to do when she was taken away by
> the police?

Watch a movie.

> 3. In 1944, which province was the first to pass an act that
> prohibited the publication and display of any symbol,
> sign, or notice that expressed ethnic, racial, or religious
> discrimination?

Ontario.

> 4. Ontario was one of two provinces that officially had racially
> segregated schools. After legislation to end the practice,
> Ontario closed its last segregated school in 1965. The other
> province waited until 1983 to do the same. Which province?

Nova Scotia.

> 5. Which prime minister appointed Michaëlle Jean, the first black
> Governor-General?

Paul Martin.

> 6. In 1858, American abolitionist John Brown came to Upper Canada
> to recruit black men for his campaign to wage an uprising and
> free the American South from oppression. In which Ontario town
> did he hold a series of clandestine meetings?

Chatham.

> 7. 1967-07-28 was a big day for Toronto's black population as they
> held this event for the first time. What was it?

Caribana Festival.

> 8. Which illustrious African-Canadian won the Giller Prize, the
> Trillium Prize, and the Commonwealth Writers' Prize for the novel
> "The Polished Hoe"?

Austin Clarke.

> 9. Who was the first African-Canadian to hold a cabinet position
> in the Ontario legislature?

Alvin Curling.

> 10. In 1969, a black community newspaper opened its offices behind
> Honest Ed's and ran smart political commentary and reportage
> for the next 17 years. It was also the breeding ground for
> a number of writers such as Royson James, Jopjo Chintoh, and
> Cecil Foster. What was the name of the publication?

"Contrast".

> * Game 4, Round 5 - Audio - Spin-Offs, Side Projects, and Supergroups
> of the 1980s-1990s

> Yes, it's an audio round without the audio. These questions
> are about musical groups of the 1980s and 90s that spawned other
> musical groups. In each case you can name either the spin-off or
> the original group.

I have no expertise in this area. If your answer was ruled wrong
but you think it was correct, please post a protest.

> 1. Vince Clarke left a popular synth-pop group and formed this
> successful duo. Name this duo or the group Clarke belonged
> to earlier.

Yaz (or Yazoo), formed from Depeche Mode. Also accepting Erasure.
4 for Joshua (the hard way) and Dan Blum. 3 for Erland.

> 2. Jimmy Somerville hit falsetto gold in the mid-'80s with the
> trio in this track, and then went on to form a successful duo.
> Name either group.

Bronski Beat became the Communards. 4 for Joshua.

> 3. A mix of Aussies and Kiwis, the group that performed this 1986
> hit formed after the break-up of an earlier band. Name either
> group.

Crowded House formed from Split Enz.

> 4. After the death of their singer in 1980, the surviving members
> of a Manchester-area band formed a new group and adopted a more
> upbeat danceable sound, like in this track. Name either group.

New Order formed from Joy Division. 4 for Joshua (the hard way),
Dan Blum, and Erland (the hard way).

> 5. A husband-and-wife rhythm section from a funky new wave band
> created a dance-club-oriented side project in 1981 that produced
> this often-sampled track. Name either this side project or
> the band they came from.

Tom Tom Club formed from Talking Heads. 4 for Joshua (the hard way)
and Erland (the hard way).

> 6. Bassist Kim Deal formed this group as a side project from her
> main gig with an influential alternative rock group. They
> made a big splash in 1993 with this hit. Their name is a
> derogatory term for heterosexuals. Name either this group or
> its predecessor.

The Breeders formed from the Pixies. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 7. After the break-up in 1983 of a leading British ska revival band,
> two members of the band formed this successful group.
> Name either this group or the earlier one.

Fine Young Cannibals formed from the (English) Beat.

> 8. The drummer from a popular grunge band formed the group in this
> track in 1994. Name either group.

Foo Fighters formed from Nirvana. 4 for Joshua (the hard way),
Dan Blum, and Erland.

> 9. The next group is a British-American supergroup project of
> the mid-80s. Name the project, or the lead singer, or any of
> the bands that provided members to the project.

The Power Station, Robert Palmer, Duran Duran, Chic. 2 for Joshua.

> 10. Another British supergroup was founded in 1981 with members
> from successful progressive rock bands of the 70s. Name the
> supergroup in this track or any of the earlier groups that
> contributed members.

Asia, Yes, King, Crimson, Uriah Heep, UK, the Buggles, Emerson Lake
& Palmer. 4 for Joshua (the hard way) and Erland.

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Last Novels

> We give you the title of the last novel of a celebrated author,
> as well as the year of publication, and you tell us the name of
> the novelist.

> 1. "The First Man" ("Le Premier homme"). Written in French.
> The novel was unfinished at the time of the author's death
> in 1961. Published in 1994.

Albert Camus. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. "The Garden of Eden". Unfinished at the time of the author's
> death in 1961. Published in 1986.

Ernest Hemingway. 4 for Joshua.

> 3. "Barney's Version". Published 1997. Author died 2001.

Mordecai Richler.

> 4. "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". Unfinished at the time of the
> author's death in 1870. Published the same year.

Charles Dickens. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 5. "The Last Tycoon". Unfinished at the time of the author's
> death in 1940. Published in 1941.

F. Scott Fitzgerald. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum. 2 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. "Memories of my Melancholy Whores" ("Memoria de mis putas
> tristes"). Written in Spanish, published 2004; author died
> in 2012. This was long assumed to be the author's final novel.
> However, it has been announced that a new "final novel", entitled
> "Until August" ("Nos vemos en agosto"), will be published later
> this year.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 7. "Daniel Deronda". Published 1876. Author died 1880.

George Eliot. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. "Sanditon". Unfinished at the time of the author's death
> in 1817. Published 1925.

Jane Austen. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 9. "Between the Acts". Published in the year of the author's
> death, 1941.

Virginia Woolf.

> 10. "The Tenth Man". Published in 1985. Author died in 1991.

Graham Greene.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 BEST SIX
Stephen Perry 39 40 -- -- -- -- 28 38 145
Joshua Kreitzer 15 20 4 8 19 12 16 8 90
Dan Blum 8 16 4 12 15 6 16 4 73
Dan Tilque -- -- 8 16 23 8 4 12 71
Pete Gayde 15 16 12 19 -- -- -- -- 62
Erland Sommarskog 8 12 4 8 8 0 8 8 52

--
Mark Brader | "Mine are the correct [theories], but other observers...
Toronto | offer differing hypotheses which they stubbornly

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6 answers: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novels

<uu8goa$she8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6123&group=rec.games.trivia#6123

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6 answers: black CanHis, spin-offs,
last novels
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 02:59:05 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 07:59 UTC

On 3/29/2024 11:15 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>
> Scores, if there are no errors:
>
> GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 BEST SIX
> Stephen Perry 39 40 -- -- -- -- 28 38 145
> Joshua Kreitzer 15 20 4 8 19 12 16 8 90
> Dan Blum 8 16 4 12 15 6 16 4 73
> Dan Tilque -- -- 8 16 23 8 4 12 71
> Pete Gayde 15 16 12 19 -- -- -- -- 62
> Erland Sommarskog 8 12 4 8 8 0 8 8 52

These scores appear to be from the wrong game or rounds. As of when
these answers were posted, we hadn't even played rounds 7 and 8 of the
current game yet.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 4-6 answers: black CanHis, spin-offs, last novels

<R3idndKis4WtB5X7nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6128&group=rec.games.trivia#6128

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 23:03:12 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 23:03 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > Scores, if there are no errors:
> >
> > GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 BEST SIX
> > Stephen Perry 39 40 -- -- -- -- 28 38 145
> > Joshua Kreitzer 15 20 4 8 19 12 16 8 90
> > Dan Blum 8 16 4 12 15 6 16 4 73
> > Dan Tilque -- -- 8 16 23 8 4 12 71
> > Pete Gayde 15 16 12 19 -- -- -- -- 62
> > Erland Sommarskog 8 12 4 8 8 0 8 8 52
Joshua Kreitzer:
> These scores appear to be from the wrong game or rounds.

Oh, good grief, that's the score table for current events again.
Sorry.

Scores in Game 4, if there are now no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 3 4 5 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Can Aud Lit
Joshua Kreitzer -- 0 30 20 50
Dan Blum -- 0 16 19 35
Erland Sommarskog 4 0 19 0 23
Dan Tilque -- 3 0 2 5

--
Mark Brader | "It is in the nature of precaution
Toronto | that the more successful it is