If you think before you speak the other guy gets his joke in first.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challenge

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challengeMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challengeDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challengeDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challengeswp
`- QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: twists, leap challengeMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challenge

<ic-cnb7NGtkZEpb7nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6130&group=rec.games.trivia#6130

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 04:54:28 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 04:54 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Twists, Reveals, and Shockers

Spoiler Alert! Each question gives away the shocking twist that
you didn't see coming. You might want to plug your ears for all
but your question. On the other hand, if you haven't seen these
classics, where the heck have you been?

In each case, we'll give you the twist. You give us the *title*.

1. Psychologist Malcolm realizes that his wedding ring is not on
his finger; he realizes he didn't survive the gunshot. And you
realize: HE'S A GHOST?!?!!

2. The camera pans over a room filled with the collections of
the dead title character. You see workers tossing junk into
the incinerator. What did they just throw in? The camera
moves in closer and -- IT'S HIS SLED! His last dying word was
the name of his childhood sled! It all makes sense now!

3. The movie's moving along nicely -- British soldier is kidnapped
by a reluctant IRA gunman. Soldier dies; gunman seeks out the
soldier's girlfriend. But then, just as they're going to get
it on, it turns out -- the GIRLFRIEND HAS A PENIS!!! Whoa!

4. So Brice tells the authorities that Pritchard was Yuri but
you're not completely satisfied. Cut to our protagonist in
conversation with his landlord -- and it dawns on you --
clean-cut all-American naval officer Tom Farrell WAS A RUSSIAN
SPY ALL ALONG! You've GOT to be kidding me!

5. The camera slowly tracks toward the photo on the wall.
What is it? A new Year's Eve party in the ballroom -- 1921?
The camera gets in a little closer and you see -- JACK TORRANCE!
Front and center! Leaping lizards! That's incredible but
I still don't understand.

6. After all the shenanigans our two protagonists have gotten up
to, one of them -- the narrator -- realizes that TYLER DOESN'T
EXIST! He's the other side of his split personality!! Or he
exists in his head... or... something! It doesn't matter now
because buildings are blowing up in the final scene.

7. We're on the beach. They managed to get away, but where are
they going to go? What's going to happen to them? And then
the camera slowly pans to a shocking sight down the beach and
your mind is blown -- HE'S BEEN ON EARTH ALL THIS TIME!!

8. Lila has snuck into the house. She turns the old lady's chair
around and discovers --- the MUMMIFIED BODY OF NORMAN'S MOTHER!!!
Suddenly, Norman bursts in dressed in women's clothing,
brandishing a knife and ready to kill. Whaaaat? So his mother's
been dead all this time and he's an insane killer!!!!

9. Verbal Kint walks away from the police station. His limp
suddenly disappears and he enters the car driven by Kobayashi.
And it dawns on you -- HE'S KEYSER SOZE!!!!!

10. There they are in the middle of nowhere. Cops everywhere.
What's that in the distance? A delivery truck is driving up?
John Doe has arranged for a delivery. Of what? A package?
What's in it? OMFG, it's Tracy's head. No... effing... way!!!!

** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Theme: Leaps

To celebrate February 29, Leap Day, the categories are:

A. Miscellaneous: Vertical Leap
B. Science: Lizards!
C. Sports: Leap Day
D. Entertainment: Time Leap
E. History: Misc. Leap
F. Literature: Leap Idioms

* A. Miscellaneous: Vertical Leap

A1. What is the name given to the sport of jumping from fixed
objects, such as buildings, antennas, bridges, or high
cliffs, using a parachute to descend safely to the ground
after optionally free-falling?

A2. Some skydivers or <answer A1>ers wear a special suit with
fabric membranes between the legs and along the arms,
flanks and thighs to act as an airfoil and allow extended
airtime and gliding potential. What is the common name
given to this type of suit?

* B. Science: Lizards!

B1. When threatened, the North American horned lizard can squirt
blood up to 3.5 m -- from which part of its body?

B2. The only venomous lizard found north of Mexico -- and
also the largest lizard -- is not aggressive, despite its
fearsome name. Name it.

* C. Sports: Leap Day

C1. Leap Day 1936 saw the birth of this hockey player, active
1955 to '75, who lived in the shadow of his older brother,
yet still holds the record for most Stanley Cup victories,
at 11. Give his first and last name.

C2. On Leap Day 1980, this NHL player scored his 800th career
goal, at the age of 51. Name him.

* D. Entertainment: Time Leap

D1. In H.G. Wells's 1895 novel "The Time Machine", and in its
1960 and 2002 film adaptations, the protagonist travels to
the distant future. There he meets two species of humans --
one peaceful, the other warlike. Name either species.

D2. In 1979's "Time After Time", Malcolm McDowell plays author
H.G. Wells, who chases a villain who has escaped from London
in 1893 into the year 1979, using an actual time machine.
Which villain does he chase?

* E. History: Miscellaneous Leaps

E1. Chairman Mao sought to reform agriculture and bring industry
to the countryside in a 5-year campaign from 1958 to
'62 that caused widespread famine, millions of deaths,
and economic recession. Name the disastrous campaign.

E2. On February 29 of what year did Prime Minister Pierre
Trudeau announce his retirement?

* F. Literature: Leap Idioms

We give the definition; you provide the idiom or expression
containing the word "leap".

F1. Consider the consequences before you act.

F2. A belief in, or an attempt to do, something whose existence
or outcome cannot be proved.

--
Mark Brader | "If you have to go in, you go in.
Toronto | The choice was made the day you took your oath."

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challenge

<uug781$31ngi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6131&group=rec.games.trivia#6131

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 01:05:53 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 06:05 UTC

On 4/1/2024 11:54 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Twists, Reveals, and Shockers
>
> Spoiler Alert! Each question gives away the shocking twist that
> you didn't see coming. You might want to plug your ears for all
> but your question. On the other hand, if you haven't seen these
> classics, where the heck have you been?
>
> In each case, we'll give you the twist. You give us the *title*.
>
> 1. Psychologist Malcolm realizes that his wedding ring is not on
> his finger; he realizes he didn't survive the gunshot. And you
> realize: HE'S A GHOST?!?!!

"The Sixth Sense"

> 2. The camera pans over a room filled with the collections of
> the dead title character. You see workers tossing junk into
> the incinerator. What did they just throw in? The camera
> moves in closer and -- IT'S HIS SLED! His last dying word was
> the name of his childhood sled! It all makes sense now!

"Citizen Kane"

> 3. The movie's moving along nicely -- British soldier is kidnapped
> by a reluctant IRA gunman. Soldier dies; gunman seeks out the
> soldier's girlfriend. But then, just as they're going to get
> it on, it turns out -- the GIRLFRIEND HAS A PENIS!!! Whoa!

"The Crying Game"

> 4. So Brice tells the authorities that Pritchard was Yuri but
> you're not completely satisfied. Cut to our protagonist in
> conversation with his landlord -- and it dawns on you --
> clean-cut all-American naval officer Tom Farrell WAS A RUSSIAN
> SPY ALL ALONG! You've GOT to be kidding me!

"No Way Out"

> 5. The camera slowly tracks toward the photo on the wall.
> What is it? A new Year's Eve party in the ballroom -- 1921?
> The camera gets in a little closer and you see -- JACK TORRANCE!
> Front and center! Leaping lizards! That's incredible but
> I still don't understand.

"The Shining"

> 6. After all the shenanigans our two protagonists have gotten up
> to, one of them -- the narrator -- realizes that TYLER DOESN'T
> EXIST! He's the other side of his split personality!! Or he
> exists in his head... or... something! It doesn't matter now
> because buildings are blowing up in the final scene.

"Fight Club"

> 7. We're on the beach. They managed to get away, but where are
> they going to go? What's going to happen to them? And then
> the camera slowly pans to a shocking sight down the beach and
> your mind is blown -- HE'S BEEN ON EARTH ALL THIS TIME!!

"Planet of the Apes"

> 8. Lila has snuck into the house. She turns the old lady's chair
> around and discovers --- the MUMMIFIED BODY OF NORMAN'S MOTHER!!!
> Suddenly, Norman bursts in dressed in women's clothing,
> brandishing a knife and ready to kill. Whaaaat? So his mother's
> been dead all this time and he's an insane killer!!!!

"Psycho"

> 9. Verbal Kint walks away from the police station. His limp
> suddenly disappears and he enters the car driven by Kobayashi.
> And it dawns on you -- HE'S KEYSER SOZE!!!!!

"The Usual Suspects"

> 10. There they are in the middle of nowhere. Cops everywhere.
> What's that in the distance? A delivery truck is driving up?
> John Doe has arranged for a delivery. Of what? A package?
> What's in it? OMFG, it's Tracy's head. No... effing... way!!!!

"Se7en"

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Theme: Leaps
>
> To celebrate February 29, Leap Day, the categories are:
>
> A. Miscellaneous: Vertical Leap
> B. Science: Lizards!
> C. Sports: Leap Day
> D. Entertainment: Time Leap
> E. History: Misc. Leap
> F. Literature: Leap Idioms
>

> * A. Miscellaneous: Vertical Leap
>
> A1. What is the name given to the sport of jumping from fixed
> objects, such as buildings, antennas, bridges, or high
> cliffs, using a parachute to descend safely to the ground
> after optionally free-falling?

BASE jumping
> * B. Science: Lizards!
>
> B1. When threatened, the North American horned lizard can squirt
> blood up to 3.5 m -- from which part of its body?

eyes

> B2. The only venomous lizard found north of Mexico -- and
> also the largest lizard -- is not aggressive, despite its
> fearsome name. Name it.

Gila monster

> * C. Sports: Leap Day
>
> C2. On Leap Day 1980, this NHL player scored his 800th career
> goal, at the age of 51. Name him.

Gordie Howe

> * D. Entertainment: Time Leap
>
> D1. In H.G. Wells's 1895 novel "The Time Machine", and in its
> 1960 and 2002 film adaptations, the protagonist travels to
> the distant future. There he meets two species of humans --
> one peaceful, the other warlike. Name either species.

Eloi; Morlocks

> D2. In 1979's "Time After Time", Malcolm McDowell plays author
> H.G. Wells, who chases a villain who has escaped from London
> in 1893 into the year 1979, using an actual time machine.
> Which villain does he chase?

Jack the Ripper

> * E. History: Miscellaneous Leaps
>
> E1. Chairman Mao sought to reform agriculture and bring industry
> to the countryside in a 5-year campaign from 1958 to
> '62 that caused widespread famine, millions of deaths,
> and economic recession. Name the disastrous campaign.

Great Leap Forward

> E2. On February 29 of what year did Prime Minister Pierre
> Trudeau announce his retirement?

1980; 1984

> * F. Literature: Leap Idioms
>
> We give the definition; you provide the idiom or expression
> containing the word "leap".
>
> F1. Consider the consequences before you act.

look before you leap

> F2. A belief in, or an attempt to do, something whose existence
> or outcome cannot be proved.

leap of faith

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challenge

<uugkll$34qm0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6133&group=rec.games.trivia#6133

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 02:54:59 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 09:54 UTC

On 4/1/24 21:54, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Twists, Reveals, and Shockers
>
> Spoiler Alert! Each question gives away the shocking twist that
> you didn't see coming. You might want to plug your ears for all
> but your question. On the other hand, if you haven't seen these
> classics, where the heck have you been?
>
> In each case, we'll give you the twist. You give us the *title*.
>
> 1. Psychologist Malcolm realizes that his wedding ring is not on
> his finger; he realizes he didn't survive the gunshot. And you
> realize: HE'S A GHOST?!?!!
>
> 2. The camera pans over a room filled with the collections of
> the dead title character. You see workers tossing junk into
> the incinerator. What did they just throw in? The camera
> moves in closer and -- IT'S HIS SLED! His last dying word was
> the name of his childhood sled! It all makes sense now!

Citizen Kane

> 3. The movie's moving along nicely -- British soldier is kidnapped
> by a reluctant IRA gunman. Soldier dies; gunman seeks out the
> soldier's girlfriend. But then, just as they're going to get
> it on, it turns out -- the GIRLFRIEND HAS A PENIS!!! Whoa!
>
> 4. So Brice tells the authorities that Pritchard was Yuri but
> you're not completely satisfied. Cut to our protagonist in
> conversation with his landlord -- and it dawns on you --
> clean-cut all-American naval officer Tom Farrell WAS A RUSSIAN
> SPY ALL ALONG! You've GOT to be kidding me!
>
> 5. The camera slowly tracks toward the photo on the wall.
> What is it? A new Year's Eve party in the ballroom -- 1921?
> The camera gets in a little closer and you see -- JACK TORRANCE!
> Front and center! Leaping lizards! That's incredible but
> I still don't understand.
>
> 6. After all the shenanigans our two protagonists have gotten up
> to, one of them -- the narrator -- realizes that TYLER DOESN'T
> EXIST! He's the other side of his split personality!! Or he
> exists in his head... or... something! It doesn't matter now
> because buildings are blowing up in the final scene.
>
> 7. We're on the beach. They managed to get away, but where are
> they going to go? What's going to happen to them? And then
> the camera slowly pans to a shocking sight down the beach and
> your mind is blown -- HE'S BEEN ON EARTH ALL THIS TIME!!

Planet of the Apes

> 8. Lila has snuck into the house. She turns the old lady's chair
> around and discovers --- the MUMMIFIED BODY OF NORMAN'S MOTHER!!!
> Suddenly, Norman bursts in dressed in women's clothing,
> brandishing a knife and ready to kill. Whaaaat? So his mother's
> been dead all this time and he's an insane killer!!!!

Psycho

> 9. Verbal Kint walks away from the police station. His limp
> suddenly disappears and he enters the car driven by Kobayashi.
> And it dawns on you -- HE'S KEYSER SOZE!!!!!
>
> 10. There they are in the middle of nowhere. Cops everywhere.
> What's that in the distance? A delivery truck is driving up?
> John Doe has arranged for a delivery. Of what? A package?
> What's in it? OMFG, it's Tracy's head. No... effing... way!!!!
>

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Theme: Leaps
>
> To celebrate February 29, Leap Day, the categories are:
>
> A. Miscellaneous: Vertical Leap
> B. Science: Lizards!
> C. Sports: Leap Day
> D. Entertainment: Time Leap
> E. History: Misc. Leap
> F. Literature: Leap Idioms
>

> * A. Miscellaneous: Vertical Leap
>
> A1. What is the name given to the sport of jumping from fixed
> objects, such as buildings, antennas, bridges, or high
> cliffs, using a parachute to descend safely to the ground
> after optionally free-falling?

BASE jumping

> A2. Some skydivers or <answer A1>ers wear a special suit with
> fabric membranes between the legs and along the arms,
> flanks and thighs to act as an airfoil and allow extended
> airtime and gliding potential. What is the common name
> given to this type of suit?

wingsuit

> * B. Science: Lizards!
>
> B1. When threatened, the North American horned lizard can squirt
> blood up to 3.5 m -- from which part of its body?

eye

> B2. The only venomous lizard found north of Mexico -- and
> also the largest lizard -- is not aggressive, despite its
> fearsome name. Name it.

gila monster

> * C. Sports: Leap Day
>
> C1. Leap Day 1936 saw the birth of this hockey player, active
> 1955 to '75, who lived in the shadow of his older brother,
> yet still holds the record for most Stanley Cup victories,
> at 11. Give his first and last name.
>
> C2. On Leap Day 1980, this NHL player scored his 800th career
> goal, at the age of 51. Name him.

Orr

> * D. Entertainment: Time Leap
>
> D1. In H.G. Wells's 1895 novel "The Time Machine", and in its
> 1960 and 2002 film adaptations, the protagonist travels to
> the distant future. There he meets two species of humans --
> one peaceful, the other warlike. Name either species.

Morlocks

> D2. In 1979's "Time After Time", Malcolm McDowell plays author
> H.G. Wells, who chases a villain who has escaped from London
> in 1893 into the year 1979, using an actual time machine.
> Which villain does he chase?

Moriarty

> * E. History: Miscellaneous Leaps
>
> E1. Chairman Mao sought to reform agriculture and bring industry
> to the countryside in a 5-year campaign from 1958 to
> '62 that caused widespread famine, millions of deaths,
> and economic recession. Name the disastrous campaign.

Great Leap Forward

> E2. On February 29 of what year did Prime Minister Pierre
> Trudeau announce his retirement?

1978

> * F. Literature: Leap Idioms
>
> We give the definition; you provide the idiom or expression
> containing the word "leap".
>
> F1. Consider the consequences before you act.

look before you leap

> F2. A belief in, or an attempt to do, something whose existence
> or outcome cannot be proved.

leap of faith

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challenge

<XnsB148D564ED23DYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6135&group=rec.games.trivia#6135

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 20:58:38 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 18:58 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Twists, Reveals, and Shockers
>
> 2. The camera pans over a room filled with the collections of
> the dead title character. You see workers tossing junk into
> the incinerator. What did they just throw in? The camera
> moves in closer and -- IT'S HIS SLED! His last dying word was
> the name of his childhood sled! It all makes sense now!

Citizen Kane
> 4. So Brice tells the authorities that Pritchard was Yuri but
> you're not completely satisfied. Cut to our protagonist in
> conversation with his landlord -- and it dawns on you --
> clean-cut all-American naval officer Tom Farrell WAS A RUSSIAN
> SPY ALL ALONG! You've GOT to be kidding me!

The Third Man
> 7. We're on the beach. They managed to get away, but where are
> they going to go? What's going to happen to them? And then
> the camera slowly pans to a shocking sight down the beach and
> your mind is blown -- HE'S BEEN ON EARTH ALL THIS TIME!!

The Man Who Fell to Earth
> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Theme: Leaps
>
> * A. Miscellaneous: Vertical Leap
>
> A2. Some skydivers or <answer A1>ers wear a special suit with
> fabric membranes between the legs and along the arms,
> flanks and thighs to act as an airfoil and allow extended
> airtime and gliding potential. What is the common name
> given to this type of suit?

Jumpsuit
> * C. Sports: Leap Day
>
> C1. Leap Day 1936 saw the birth of this hockey player, active
> 1955 to '75, who lived in the shadow of his older brother,
> yet still holds the record for most Stanley Cup victories,
> at 11. Give his first and last name.

Tony Esposito
> C2. On Leap Day 1980, this NHL player scored his 800th career
> goal, at the age of 51. Name him.

Gordie Howe
> * E. History: Miscellaneous Leaps
>
> E1. Chairman Mao sought to reform agriculture and bring industry
> to the countryside in a 5-year campaign from 1958 to
> '62 that caused widespread famine, millions of deaths,
> and economic recession. Name the disastrous campaign.

The Giant Leap Forwards

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challenge

<uuic2k$9v4$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6137&group=rec.games.trivia#6137

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 01:40:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 01:40 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Twists, Reveals, and Shockers

> 1. Psychologist Malcolm realizes that his wedding ring is not on
> his finger; he realizes he didn't survive the gunshot. And you
> realize: HE'S A GHOST?!?!!

The Sixth Sense

> 2. The camera pans over a room filled with the collections of
> the dead title character. You see workers tossing junk into
> the incinerator. What did they just throw in? The camera
> moves in closer and -- IT'S HIS SLED! His last dying word was
> the name of his childhood sled! It all makes sense now!

Citizen Kane

> 3. The movie's moving along nicely -- British soldier is kidnapped
> by a reluctant IRA gunman. Soldier dies; gunman seeks out the
> soldier's girlfriend. But then, just as they're going to get
> it on, it turns out -- the GIRLFRIEND HAS A PENIS!!! Whoa!

The Crying Game

> 4. So Brice tells the authorities that Pritchard was Yuri but
> you're not completely satisfied. Cut to our protagonist in
> conversation with his landlord -- and it dawns on you --
> clean-cut all-American naval officer Tom Farrell WAS A RUSSIAN
> SPY ALL ALONG! You've GOT to be kidding me!

No Way Out

> 6. After all the shenanigans our two protagonists have gotten up
> to, one of them -- the narrator -- realizes that TYLER DOESN'T
> EXIST! He's the other side of his split personality!! Or he
> exists in his head... or... something! It doesn't matter now
> because buildings are blowing up in the final scene.

Fight Club

> 7. We're on the beach. They managed to get away, but where are
> they going to go? What's going to happen to them? And then
> the camera slowly pans to a shocking sight down the beach and
> your mind is blown -- HE'S BEEN ON EARTH ALL THIS TIME!!

Planet of the Apes

> 8. Lila has snuck into the house. She turns the old lady's chair
> around and discovers --- the MUMMIFIED BODY OF NORMAN'S MOTHER!!!
> Suddenly, Norman bursts in dressed in women's clothing,
> brandishing a knife and ready to kill. Whaaaat? So his mother's
> been dead all this time and he's an insane killer!!!!

Psycho

> 9. Verbal Kint walks away from the police station. His limp
> suddenly disappears and he enters the car driven by Kobayashi.
> And it dawns on you -- HE'S KEYSER SOZE!!!!!

The Usual Suspects

> 10. There they are in the middle of nowhere. Cops everywhere.
> What's that in the distance? A delivery truck is driving up?
> John Doe has arranged for a delivery. Of what? A package?
> What's in it? OMFG, it's Tracy's head. No... effing... way!!!!

Se7en

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Theme: Leaps

> * A. Miscellaneous: Vertical Leap

> A1. What is the name given to the sport of jumping from fixed
> objects, such as buildings, antennas, bridges, or high
> cliffs, using a parachute to descend safely to the ground
> after optionally free-falling?

BASE jumping

> A2. Some skydivers or <answer A1>ers wear a special suit with
> fabric membranes between the legs and along the arms,
> flanks and thighs to act as an airfoil and allow extended
> airtime and gliding potential. What is the common name
> given to this type of suit?

squirrel suit

> * B. Science: Lizards!

> B1. When threatened, the North American horned lizard can squirt
> blood up to 3.5 m -- from which part of its body?

eyes

> B2. The only venomous lizard found north of Mexico -- and
> also the largest lizard -- is not aggressive, despite its
> fearsome name. Name it.

Gila monster

> * D. Entertainment: Time Leap

> D1. In H.G. Wells's 1895 novel "The Time Machine", and in its
> 1960 and 2002 film adaptations, the protagonist travels to
> the distant future. There he meets two species of humans --
> one peaceful, the other warlike. Name either species.

Eloi

> D2. In 1979's "Time After Time", Malcolm McDowell plays author
> H.G. Wells, who chases a villain who has escaped from London
> in 1893 into the year 1979, using an actual time machine.
> Which villain does he chase?

Jack the Ripper

> * E. History: Miscellaneous Leaps

> E1. Chairman Mao sought to reform agriculture and bring industry
> to the countryside in a 5-year campaign from 1958 to
> '62 that caused widespread famine, millions of deaths,
> and economic recession. Name the disastrous campaign.

Great Leap Forward

> E2. On February 29 of what year did Prime Minister Pierre
> Trudeau announce his retirement?

1980; 1984

> * F. Literature: Leap Idioms

> F1. Consider the consequences before you act.

look before you leap

> F2. A belief in, or an attempt to do, something whose existence
> or outcome cannot be proved.

leap of faith

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: twists, leap challenge

<XnsB14AED18028FEstephenwperrygmailco@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6139&group=rec.games.trivia#6139

From: swp@aol.com (swp)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 03:18:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: swp - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 03:18 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ic-
cnb7NGtkZEpb7nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-26,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
> of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Twists, Reveals, and Shockers
>
> Spoiler Alert! Each question gives away the shocking twist that
> you didn't see coming. You might want to plug your ears for all
> but your question. On the other hand, if you haven't seen these
> classics, where the heck have you been?
>
> In each case, we'll give you the twist. You give us the *title*.
>
> 1. Psychologist Malcolm realizes that his wedding ring is not on
> his finger; he realizes he didn't survive the gunshot. And you
> realize: HE'S A GHOST?!?!!

the sixth sense

> 2. The camera pans over a room filled with the collections of
> the dead title character. You see workers tossing junk into
> the incinerator. What did they just throw in? The camera
> moves in closer and -- IT'S HIS SLED! His last dying word was
> the name of his childhood sled! It all makes sense now!

citizen kane

> 3. The movie's moving along nicely -- British soldier is kidnapped
> by a reluctant IRA gunman. Soldier dies; gunman seeks out the
> soldier's girlfriend. But then, just as they're going to get
> it on, it turns out -- the GIRLFRIEND HAS A PENIS!!! Whoa!

the crying game

> 4. So Brice tells the authorities that Pritchard was Yuri but
> you're not completely satisfied. Cut to our protagonist in
> conversation with his landlord -- and it dawns on you --
> clean-cut all-American naval officer Tom Farrell WAS A RUSSIAN
> SPY ALL ALONG! You've GOT to be kidding me!

no way out

> 5. The camera slowly tracks toward the photo on the wall.
> What is it? A new Year's Eve party in the ballroom -- 1921?
> The camera gets in a little closer and you see -- JACK TORRANCE!
> Front and center! Leaping lizards! That's incredible but
> I still don't understand.

the shining

> 6. After all the shenanigans our two protagonists have gotten up
> to, one of them -- the narrator -- realizes that TYLER DOESN'T
> EXIST! He's the other side of his split personality!! Or he
> exists in his head... or... something! It doesn't matter now
> because buildings are blowing up in the final scene.

fight club

> 7. We're on the beach. They managed to get away, but where are
> they going to go? What's going to happen to them? And then
> the camera slowly pans to a shocking sight down the beach and
> your mind is blown -- HE'S BEEN ON EARTH ALL THIS TIME!!

planetof the apes

> 8. Lila has snuck into the house. She turns the old lady's chair
> around and discovers --- the MUMMIFIED BODY OF NORMAN'S MOTHER!!!
> Suddenly, Norman bursts in dressed in women's clothing,
> brandishing a knife and ready to kill. Whaaaat? So his mother's
> been dead all this time and he's an insane killer!!!!

psycho

> 9. Verbal Kint walks away from the police station. His limp
> suddenly disappears and he enters the car driven by Kobayashi.
> And it dawns on you -- HE'S KEYSER SOZE!!!!!

the usual suspects

> 10. There they are in the middle of nowhere. Cops everywhere.
> What's that in the distance? A delivery truck is driving up?
> John Doe has arranged for a delivery. Of what? A package?
> What's in it? OMFG, it's Tracy's head. No... effing... way!!!!

se7en

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Theme: Leaps
>
> To celebrate February 29, Leap Day, the categories are:
>
> A. Miscellaneous: Vertical Leap
> B. Science: Lizards!
> C. Sports: Leap Day
> D. Entertainment: Time Leap
> E. History: Misc. Leap
> F. Literature: Leap Idioms
>

> * A. Miscellaneous: Vertical Leap
>
> A1. What is the name given to the sport of jumping from fixed
> objects, such as buildings, antennas, bridges, or high
> cliffs, using a parachute to descend safely to the ground
> after optionally free-falling?

base jumping

> A2. Some skydivers or <answer A1>ers wear a special suit with
> fabric membranes between the legs and along the arms,
> flanks and thighs to act as an airfoil and allow extended
> airtime and gliding potential. What is the common name
> given to this type of suit?

wingsuit

> * B. Science: Lizards!
>
> B1. When threatened, the North American horned lizard can squirt
> blood up to 3.5 m -- from which part of its body?

eyes

> B2. The only venomous lizard found north of Mexico -- and
> also the largest lizard -- is not aggressive, despite its
> fearsome name. Name it.

komodo dragon

> * C. Sports: Leap Day
>
> C1. Leap Day 1936 saw the birth of this hockey player, active
> 1955 to '75, who lived in the shadow of his older brother,
> yet still holds the record for most Stanley Cup victories,
> at 11. Give his first and last name.

henri richard

> C2. On Leap Day 1980, this NHL player scored his 800th career
> goal, at the age of 51. Name him.

gordie howe

> * D. Entertainment: Time Leap
>
> D1. In H.G. Wells's 1895 novel "The Time Machine", and in its
> 1960 and 2002 film adaptations, the protagonist travels to
> the distant future. There he meets two species of humans --
> one peaceful, the other warlike. Name either species.

eloi ; morlocks

> D2. In 1979's "Time After Time", Malcolm McDowell plays author
> H.G. Wells, who chases a villain who has escaped from London
> in 1893 into the year 1979, using an actual time machine.
> Which villain does he chase?

jack the ripper

> * E. History: Miscellaneous Leaps
>
> E1. Chairman Mao sought to reform agriculture and bring industry
> to the countryside in a 5-year campaign from 1958 to
> '62 that caused widespread famine, millions of deaths,
> and economic recession. Name the disastrous campaign.

the great leap forward

> E2. On February 29 of what year did Prime Minister Pierre
> Trudeau announce his retirement?

1984

> * F. Literature: Leap Idioms
>
> We give the definition; you provide the idiom or expression
> containing the word "leap".
>
> F1. Consider the consequences before you act.

look before you leap

> F2. A belief in, or an attempt to do, something whose existence
> or outcome cannot be proved.

leap of faith

swp

QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: twists, leap challenge

<HoecnTBjyK-cvo37nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6140&group=rec.games.trivia#6140

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: twists, leap challenge
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 16:12:49 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 16:12 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-02-26,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 4 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Congratulations, eh?

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Twists, Reveals, and Shockers

> Spoiler Alert! Each question gives away the shocking twist that
> you didn't see coming. You might want to plug your ears for all
> but your question. On the other hand, if you haven't seen these
> classics, where the heck have you been?

> In each case, we'll give you the twist. You give us the *title*.

This was the easiest round in the original game, and the
third-easiest in the entire season.

> 1. Psychologist Malcolm realizes that his wedding ring is not on
> his finger; he realizes he didn't survive the gunshot. And you
> realize: HE'S A GHOST?!?!!

"The Sixth Sense". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 2. The camera pans over a room filled with the collections of
> the dead title character. You see workers tossing junk into
> the incinerator. What did they just throw in? The camera
> moves in closer and -- IT'S HIS SLED! His last dying word was
> the name of his childhood sled! It all makes sense now!

"Citizen Kane". 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland,
Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 3. The movie's moving along nicely -- British soldier is kidnapped
> by a reluctant IRA gunman. Soldier dies; gunman seeks out the
> soldier's girlfriend. But then, just as they're going to get
> it on, it turns out -- the GIRLFRIEND HAS A PENIS!!! Whoa!

"The Crying Game". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 4. So Brice tells the authorities that Pritchard was Yuri but
> you're not completely satisfied. Cut to our protagonist in
> conversation with his landlord -- and it dawns on you --
> clean-cut all-American naval officer Tom Farrell WAS A RUSSIAN
> SPY ALL ALONG! You've GOT to be kidding me!

"No Way Out". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 5. The camera slowly tracks toward the photo on the wall.
> What is it? A new Year's Eve party in the ballroom -- 1921?
> The camera gets in a little closer and you see -- JACK TORRANCE!
> Front and center! Leaping lizards! That's incredible but
> I still don't understand.

"The Shining". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 6. After all the shenanigans our two protagonists have gotten up
> to, one of them -- the narrator -- realizes that TYLER DOESN'T
> EXIST! He's the other side of his split personality!! Or he
> exists in his head... or... something! It doesn't matter now
> because buildings are blowing up in the final scene.

"Fight Club". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 7. We're on the beach. They managed to get away, but where are
> they going to go? What's going to happen to them? And then
> the camera slowly pans to a shocking sight down the beach and
> your mind is blown -- HE'S BEEN ON EARTH ALL THIS TIME!!

"Planet of the Apes". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> 8. Lila has snuck into the house. She turns the old lady's chair
> around and discovers --- the MUMMIFIED BODY OF NORMAN'S MOTHER!!!
> Suddenly, Norman bursts in dressed in women's clothing,
> brandishing a knife and ready to kill. Whaaaat? So his mother's
> been dead all this time and he's an insane killer!!!!

"Psycho". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 9. Verbal Kint walks away from the police station. His limp
> suddenly disappears and he enters the car driven by Kobayashi.
> And it dawns on you -- HE'S KEYSER SOZE!!!!!

"The Usual Suspects". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 10. There they are in the middle of nowhere. Cops everywhere.
> What's that in the distance? A delivery truck is driving up?
> John Doe has arranged for a delivery. Of what? A package?
> What's in it? OMFG, it's Tracy's head. No... effing... way!!!!

"Se7en". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Theme: Leaps

> To celebrate February 29, Leap Day, the categories are:

> A. Miscellaneous: Vertical Leap
> B. Science: Lizards!
> C. Sports: Leap Day
> D. Entertainment: Time Leap
> E. History: Misc. Leap
> F. Literature: Leap Idioms

And this was the fourth-easiest round in the entire season.

> * A. Miscellaneous: Vertical Leap

> A1. What is the name given to the sport of jumping from fixed
> objects, such as buildings, antennas, bridges, or high
> cliffs, using a parachute to descend safely to the ground
> after optionally free-falling?

BASE jumping (Bridge, Antenna, Span, Earth). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> A2. Some skydivers or <answer A1>ers wear a special suit with
> fabric membranes between the legs and along the arms,
> flanks and thighs to act as an airfoil and allow extended
> airtime and gliding potential. What is the common name
> given to this type of suit?

Wingsuit, batsuit, squirrel suit, or birdman suit (but not bird suit).
4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> * B. Science: Lizards!

> B1. When threatened, the North American horned lizard can squirt
> blood up to 3.5 m -- from which part of its body?

Eyes. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> B2. The only venomous lizard found north of Mexico -- and
> also the largest lizard -- is not aggressive, despite its
> fearsome name. Name it.

Gila monster. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> * C. Sports: Leap Day

> C1. Leap Day 1936 saw the birth of this hockey player, active
> 1955 to '75, who lived in the shadow of his older brother,
> yet still holds the record for most Stanley Cup victories,
> at 11. Give his first and last name.

Henri Richard. 4 for Stephen.

> C2. On Leap Day 1980, this NHL player scored his 800th career
> goal, at the age of 51. Name him.

Gordie Howe. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Stephen.

> * D. Entertainment: Time Leap

> D1. In H.G. Wells's 1895 novel "The Time Machine", and in its
> 1960 and 2002 film adaptations, the protagonist travels to
> the distant future. There he meets two species of humans --
> one peaceful, the other warlike. Name either species.

Eloi, morlocks. 4 for Joshua (the hard way), Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Stephen (the hard way).

> D2. In 1979's "Time After Time", Malcolm McDowell plays author
> H.G. Wells, who chases a villain who has escaped from London
> in 1893 into the year 1979, using an actual time machine.
> Which villain does he chase?

Jack the Ripper. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> * E. History: Miscellaneous Leaps

> E1. Chairman Mao sought to reform agriculture and bring industry
> to the countryside in a 5-year campaign from 1958 to
> '62 that caused widespread famine, millions of deaths,
> and economic recession. Name the disastrous campaign.

The Great Leap Forward. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Stephen. 3 for Erland.

> E2. On February 29 of what year did Prime Minister Pierre
> Trudeau announce his retirement?

1984. 4 for Stephen. 2 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

It was 2016 when I announced to friends and family that "Whereas

* Today is February 29
* Trudeau is the Prime Minister
* I have taken a walk in the snow [see below]
* And no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

I hereby announce that I am now retired."

My actual last working day was in 2012.

> * F. Literature: Leap Idioms

> We give the definition; you provide the idiom or expression
> containing the word "leap".

> F1. Consider the consequences before you act.

"Look before you leap." 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> F2. A belief in, or an attempt to do, something whose existence
> or outcome cannot be proved.

"A leap of faith." 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Can Aud Lit Can Sci Ent Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer -- 0 30 20 4 24 40 38 156
Dan Blum -- 0 16 19 0 24 36 38 133
Dan Tilque -- 3 0 2 8 28 12 32 85
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- -- -- 40 44 84
Erland Sommarskog 4 0 19 0 0 4 4 7 38

Click here to read the complete article