The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers. -- Wm. Shakespeare, "Henry VI", Part IV

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racing

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racingMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racingErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racingDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racingDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racingJoshua Kreitzer
`- QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: roadside, car racingMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racing

<qpidnfB0toUAvo37nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6141&group=rec.games.trivia#6141

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racing
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 16:15:25 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 16:15 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - Quirky Roadside Attractions

Please see the 2-page handout: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/5-2/qrky.pdf

Anyone who has driven across Canada knows that this country has
a lot of fun and unusual landmarks. The handout has pictures of
some of these roadside attractions. And I've rearranged the round
in order of the handout, so the two decoys are interspersed with
the other questions -- answer for the decoys if you like for fun,
but for no points.

You won't be asked the name of the attraction. Instead, in each
case you must just give the *name of the city, town, or other
community* where the attraction is located. You don't need to
say which province or territory it's in, but if you do, you need
to be right.

1. Photo A.
2. Photo B.
3. Photo C.
4. Photo D.
5. Photo E.
6. Photo F.
7. Photo G.
8. Photo H (decoy).
9. Photo I.
10. Photo J (decoy).
11. Photo K.
12. Photo L.

* Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Formula 1 Car Racing

1. Name *either* the circuit on which the Canadian Grand Prix is
run, *or* the island where it's located.

2. Most Formula 1 races take place on purpose-built tracks or
circuits. Some, such as Singapore and Melbourne, run on street
circuits. Name the only European F1 race on a street circuit
on the 2024 tour.

3. What must you do if you are shown a black flag during a race?

4. When you are approached from behind by a car that has completed
more laps than you have and you are shown a blue flag, what
must you do?

5. The country that hosted the first F1 race in 1950 has also seen
its citizens win the most Drivers' Championships. Which country?

6. This Brazilian F1 driver won championships in 1988, 1990, and
1991 while driving for McLaren. He died in 1994 as a result
of a driving accident in the San Marino Grand Prix. Who?

7. Name the oldest F1 team, the only still-active team that competed
in the first race in 1950.

8. Which team won the 2023 Championship?

9. This F1 driver, knighted in 2021, has won the greatest number
of races (103) and is still active. Name him.

10. This retired F1 driver won 91 races and remains tied with
<answer 9> for the greatest number of Drivers' Championship
titles with 7. Name him.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur svefg
dhrfgvba, gur pvephvg unf fbzrbar'f svefg naq ynfg anzr. Vs lbh tnir
gung nafjre ohg bayl vapyhqrq bar anzr, tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr vg.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net | "If the enemy is in range, so are you."

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racing

<XnsB14BD741285C5Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6142&group=rec.games.trivia#6142

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racing
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 21:09:37 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 19:09 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Formula 1 Car Racing
>
> 2. Most Formula 1 races take place on purpose-built tracks or
> circuits. Some, such as Singapore and Melbourne, run on street
> circuits. Name the only European F1 race on a street circuit
> on the 2024 tour.

Monaco
> 3. What must you do if you are shown a black flag during a race?

Stop
> 4. When you are approached from behind by a car that has completed
> more laps than you have and you are shown a blue flag, what
> must you do?

Yield
> 5. The country that hosted the first F1 race in 1950 has also seen
> its citizens win the most Drivers' Championships. Which country?

UK
> 6. This Brazilian F1 driver won championships in 1988, 1990, and
> 1991 while driving for McLaren. He died in 1994 as a result
> of a driving accident in the San Marino Grand Prix. Who?

Senna
> 7. Name the oldest F1 team, the only still-active team that competed
> in the first race in 1950.

Ferrari
> 8. Which team won the 2023 Championship?

Mercedes
> 9. This F1 driver, knighted in 2021, has won the greatest number
> of races (103) and is still active. Name him.

Jackie Stewart
> 10. This retired F1 driver won 91 races and remains tied with
> <answer 9> for the greatest number of Drivers' Championship
> titles with 7. Name him.

Lewis Hamilton

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racing

<uuq3id$r96$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6143&group=rec.games.trivia#6143

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 00:04:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 00:04 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Formula 1 Car Racing

> 3. What must you do if you are shown a black flag during a race?

make a pit stop

> 4. When you are approached from behind by a car that has completed
> more laps than you have and you are shown a blue flag, what
> must you do?

let it pass

> 5. The country that hosted the first F1 race in 1950 has also seen
> its citizens win the most Drivers' Championships. Which country?

Italy; Germany

> 10. This retired F1 driver won 91 races and remains tied with
> <answer 9> for the greatest number of Drivers' Championship
> titles with 7. Name him.

Lauda; Schumacher

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racing

<uut7ls$2jgv7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6144&group=rec.games.trivia#6144

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 21:32:57 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 04:32 UTC

On 4/5/24 09:15, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - Quirky Roadside Attractions
>
> Please see the 2-page handout: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/5-2/qrky.pdf
>
> Anyone who has driven across Canada knows that this country has
> a lot of fun and unusual landmarks. The handout has pictures of
> some of these roadside attractions. And I've rearranged the round
> in order of the handout, so the two decoys are interspersed with
> the other questions -- answer for the decoys if you like for fun,
> but for no points.
>
> You won't be asked the name of the attraction. Instead, in each
> case you must just give the *name of the city, town, or other
> community* where the attraction is located. You don't need to
> say which province or territory it's in, but if you do, you need
> to be right.
>
> 1. Photo A.

wherever William Shatner was born

> 2. Photo B.

Sudbury

> 3. Photo C.
> 4. Photo D.
> 5. Photo E.
> 6. Photo F.
> 7. Photo G.
> 8. Photo H (decoy).
> 9. Photo I.
> 10. Photo J (decoy).
> 11. Photo K.
> 12. Photo L.

Campbellford

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Formula 1 Car Racing
>
> 1. Name *either* the circuit on which the Canadian Grand Prix is
> run, *or* the island where it's located.
>
> 2. Most Formula 1 races take place on purpose-built tracks or
> circuits. Some, such as Singapore and Melbourne, run on street
> circuits. Name the only European F1 race on a street circuit
> on the 2024 tour.

Monaco

> 3. What must you do if you are shown a black flag during a race?

exit the track

> 4. When you are approached from behind by a car that has completed
> more laps than you have and you are shown a blue flag, what
> must you do?

let the car pass

> 5. The country that hosted the first F1 race in 1950 has also seen
> its citizens win the most Drivers' Championships. Which country?

France

> 6. This Brazilian F1 driver won championships in 1988, 1990, and
> 1991 while driving for McLaren. He died in 1994 as a result
> of a driving accident in the San Marino Grand Prix. Who?
>
> 7. Name the oldest F1 team, the only still-active team that competed
> in the first race in 1950.
>
> 8. Which team won the 2023 Championship?
>
> 9. This F1 driver, knighted in 2021, has won the greatest number
> of races (103) and is still active. Name him.
>
> 10. This retired F1 driver won 91 races and remains tied with
> <answer 9> for the greatest number of Drivers' Championship
> titles with 7. Name him.

Jackie Stewart

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur svefg
> dhrfgvba, gur pvephvg unf fbzrbar'f svefg naq ynfg anzr. Vs lbh tnir
> gung nafjre ohg bayl vapyhqrq bar anzr, tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr vg.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: roadside, car racing

<uutd5i$2khsv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6145&group=rec.games.trivia#6145

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 01:06:42 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 06:06 UTC

On 4/5/2024 11:15 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - Quirky Roadside Attractions
>
> Please see the 2-page handout: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/5-2/qrky.pdf
>
> You won't be asked the name of the attraction. Instead, in each
> case you must just give the *name of the city, town, or other
> community* where the attraction is located. You don't need to
> say which province or territory it's in, but if you do, you need
> to be right.
>
> 1. Photo A.

Enterprise
> 3. Photo C.

Dinosaur

> 4. Photo D.

Moose Jaw

> 9. Photo I.

Winnipeg

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Formula 1 Car Racing
>
> 1. Name *either* the circuit on which the Canadian Grand Prix is
> run, *or* the island where it's located.

Ile de Montreal

> 2. Most Formula 1 races take place on purpose-built tracks or
> circuits. Some, such as Singapore and Melbourne, run on street
> circuits. Name the only European F1 race on a street circuit
> on the 2024 tour.

Monaco Grand Prix

> 3. What must you do if you are shown a black flag during a race?

leave the racecourse

> 4. When you are approached from behind by a car that has completed
> more laps than you have and you are shown a blue flag, what
> must you do?

pull over to the right

> 5. The country that hosted the first F1 race in 1950 has also seen
> its citizens win the most Drivers' Championships. Which country?

UK; Germany

> 6. This Brazilian F1 driver won championships in 1988, 1990, and
> 1991 while driving for McLaren. He died in 1994 as a result
> of a driving accident in the San Marino Grand Prix. Who?

Senna (?)
> 9. This F1 driver, knighted in 2021, has won the greatest number
> of races (103) and is still active. Name him.

Stewart

> 10. This retired F1 driver won 91 races and remains tied with
> <answer 9> for the greatest number of Drivers' Championship
> titles with 7. Name him.

Schumacher

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: roadside, car racing

<l5qdnRk18NU4YY77nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6146&group=rec.games.trivia#6146

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: roadside, car racing
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 14:18:13 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:18 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-04,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - Quirky Roadside Attractions

> Please see the 2-page handout: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/5-2/qrky.pdf

> Anyone who has driven across Canada knows that this country has
> a lot of fun and unusual landmarks. The handout has pictures of
> some of these roadside attractions. And I've rearranged the round
> in order of the handout, so the two decoys are interspersed with
> the other questions -- answer for the decoys if you like for fun,
> but for no points.

> You won't be asked the name of the attraction. Instead, in each
> case you must just give the *name of the city, town, or other
> community* where the attraction is located. You don't need to
> say which province or territory it's in, but if you do, you need
> to be right.

This was the hardest round in the original game, and the
second-hardest in the entire season.

> 1. Photo A.

Vulcan, AB. (Starship Enterprise.)

If a TV series is going to make your town famous, why argue?

> 2. Photo B.

Sudbury, ON. (The Big Nickel.) 4 for Dan Tilque.

Sudbury is or was the world's leading site for nickel mining, thanks
to the prehistoric impact of a large nickel-iron meteorite there.

Nickels (the coin) were made 12-sided starting in 1942 when they
were about the same color as pennies, and the shape continued in
use through 1962. The Big Nickel was installed in 1964, but it
commemorated the 200th anniversary of the discovery of nickel
in 1751, so it was a 1951 nickel that was modeled.

> 3. Photo C.

Drumheller, AB. (World's Largest Dinosaur.)

Commemorating the nearby Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology.

> 4. Photo D.

Moose Jaw, SK. (Mac the Moose.) 4 for Joshua.

As you may remember, Mac is sadly no longer the World's Tallest Moose
since a town in Norway built this one:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/storelgen-worlds-largest-moose-statue

> 5. Photo E.

Vegreville, AB. (World's Largest Easter Egg.)

> 6. Photo F.

St. Paul, AB. (UFO Landing Pad.)

> 7. Photo G.

Shediac, NB. (World's Largest Lobster.)

> 8. Photo H (decoy).

Stanhope, Haliburton Highlands, ON. (World's Largest Lumberjack.)

> 9. Photo I.

White River, ON. (Winnie-the-Pooh Memorial.)

The real-life zoo bear Winnie was named after Winnipeg, but White
River is where it was caught.

> 10. Photo J (decoy).

Colborne, ON. (The Big Apple.)

> 11. Photo K.

Watson Lake, YT. (Signpost Forest.)

> 12. Photo L.

Campbellford, ON. (The Big Toonie.) 4 for Dan Tilque.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Formula 1 Car Racing

> 1. Name *either* the circuit on which the Canadian Grand Prix is
> run, *or* the island where it's located.

Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve (both names required), Île Notre-Dame
(in Montreal).

> 2. Most Formula 1 races take place on purpose-built tracks or
> circuits. Some, such as Singapore and Melbourne, run on street
> circuits. Name the only European F1 race on a street circuit
> on the 2024 tour.

Monaco Grand Prix. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 3. What must you do if you are shown a black flag during a race?

Remove your car from the track. (You're disqualified.) 4 for
Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 4. When you are approached from behind by a car that has completed
> more laps than you have and you are shown a blue flag, what
> must you do?

Let the other car pass. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Joshua.

I scored "pull over to the right" as almost correct -- none of
several Internet sources I checked specify left or right.

> 5. The country that hosted the first F1 race in 1950 has also seen
> its citizens win the most Drivers' Championships. Which country?

The UK. (Accepting Great Britain but not any part of it.)
4 for Erland. 3 for Joshua.

> 6. This Brazilian F1 driver won championships in 1988, 1990, and
> 1991 while driving for McLaren. He died in 1994 as a result
> of a driving accident in the San Marino Grand Prix. Who?

Ayrton Senna. 4 for Erland and Joshua.

> 7. Name the oldest F1 team, the only still-active team that competed
> in the first race in 1950.

Ferrari. 4 for Erland.

> 8. Which team won the 2023 Championship?

Red Bull Racing - Honda RBPT.

> 9. This F1 driver, knighted in 2021, has won the greatest number
> of races (103) and is still active. Name him.

Sir Lewis Hamilton.

> 10. This retired F1 driver won 91 races and remains tied with
> <answer 9> for the greatest number of Drivers' Championship
> titles with 7. Name him.

Michael (not Mick or Mike) Schumacher. 4 for Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 4 22 26
Dan Tilque 8 12 20
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 20
Dan Blum 0 6 6

--
Mark Brader "The routes 'London' and 'not London' are
Toronto not necessarily mutually exclusive."