Deprive a mirror of its silver and even the Czar won't see his face.

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6 answers: songs, plays, trees

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: songs, plays, treesMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: songs, plays, treesErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: songs, plays, treesDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: songs, plays, treesDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: songs, plays, treesJoshua Kreitzer
`- QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6 answers: songs, plays, treesMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: songs, plays, trees

<sXidnaONPOx7YI77nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6147&group=rec.games.trivia#6147

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: songs, plays, trees
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 14:23:34 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:23 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 4 - Entertainment - "Billboard" Songs of the Year

Since 1946, "Billboard" has crowned a song of the year in the
three categories of Pop, R&B (which has broadened to take in Soul
and HipHop) and Country. These questions deal with songs of the
year in all three categories.

1. Only two songs performed in a language other than English have
been top Pop singles of the year, one in 1958, sung in Italian
by Dominic Modugno; the other in 1996, sung in Spanish by Los
del Rio. Name either song.

2. Numerous singles have claimed both the Pop and R&B titles in the
same year, but only one artist has taken both titles in the same
year with different songs. The year was 1957. Name the artist.

3. In the top Country song of 1968, "Folsom Prison Blues", the
singer claims, "I shot a man in Reno...." Why did Johnny Cash
shoot that man?

4. In the top Pop song of 1950, who do the Weavers say goodnight to?

5. Two Toronto-born artists scored double wins, their singles
claiming both the Pop and R&B/hiphop crowns in the years 2018
and 2020 respectively. Name either artist.

6. The top Pop singles of 1991 and 2016 were recorded by Canadian
male vocalists who were not answers to question 5. The top Pop
single of 2002 was recorded by a Canadian group. Name any of
the three performers.

7. In 2013's top Pop and R&B/HipHop single, "Thrift Shop" by
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (featuring Wanz), how much money does
the singer have in his pocket?

8. The title of this 2014 Pharell Williams song presumably reilects
the singer's sentiments about having the #1 Pop and R&B song
of the year. Name the song.

9. Only twice has the same song been both the top Pop and the top
Country single of the year. The first time was in 1959, with a
song about an American Civil War event. The second was in 2023.
Name *either* song or *either* artist.

10. The Beatles had, in all, 20 "Billboard" #1 Pop songs of the
week. Of those, two achieved top Pop single of the year honors,
the first in 1964, the second in 1968. Name either.

* Game 5, Round 5 - Audio - Plays

And once again we have an audio round without the audio.

For the first two clips, name the Shakespeare play. For all other
clips, name *either* the play or its author. In questions #3-10,
no authors repeat. All clips are in English; none are translations.
Note that we want the title of the original play, not any musical
version.

1. Name the Shakespeare play.

Man: "Well now, our joy, although our last and least, to whom
the vines of France and milk of Burgundy strive to be interessed,
what can you say to draw a third more opulent than your sisters?
Speak."

Woman: "Nothing, my lord."

Man: "Nothing?"

Woman: "Nothing."

Man: "Nothing will come of nothing, heh. Speak again."

Woman: "Unhappy that I am, I cannot heave my heart into my
mouth. I love your Majesty according to my bond, no more
nor less."

2. Name the Shakespeare play.

Man: "I dare do all that may become a man. Who dares do more
is none."

Woman: "(Laughing) What beast was't, then, that made you break
this enterprise to me? When you durst do it, then you were a
man; and to be more than what you were, you would be so much
more the man. I have given suck, and know how tender 'tis to
love the babe that milks me. I would, while it was smiling
in my face, have plucked my nipple from his boneless gums and
dashed the brains out, had I so sworn as you have done to this."

Man: "If we should fail--"

Woman: "We fail? But screw your courage to the sticking place
and we'll not fail."

For the rest of the round, you may name either the play or the
author. There will be no more Shakespeare, and no answers repeat.

3. Name the play or the author.

Woman: "I've been to a doctor in Memphis, a gynecologist.
I've been completely examined, and there is no reason why we
can't have a child whenever we want one. Are you listening
to me? Are you listening to me?"

Man: "Yeah, I hear you, Maggie. But how in hell on Earth do
you imagine you're going to have a child by a man who can't
stand you?"

Woman: "That's a problem that I will have to work out."

4. Name the play or the author.

Man 1: "Oh, confound all this, I'm not a scholar. I don't know
whether the marriage was lawful or not. But, damn it, Thomas,
look at these names! Why can't you do as I did, and come with
us, for fellowship?"

Man 2: "And when we die, and you are sent to Heaven for doing
your conscience, and I am sent to Hell for not doing mine,
will you come with me, for fellowship?"

Man 1: "So those of us whose names are there are damned,
Sir Thomas?"

Man 2: "I have no window to look into another man's conscience.
I condemn no one."

5. Name the play or the author.

Woman: "Willy?"

Man: "It's all right, I came back."

Woman: "Why, what happened? Did something happen?"

Man: "No, nothing happened."

Woman: "You didn't smash the car, did you?"

Man: "I said nothing happened. Didn't you hear me? I'm tired
to death. Couldn't make it, just couldn't make it."

Woman: "Where were you all day? You look terrible."

Man: "I got up as far as a little above Yonkers. I stopped
for a cup of coffee. Maybe it was the coffee, and the car kept
going off the road onto the shoulder, you see?"

6. Name the play or the author.

Woman 1: "Fix the kids a drink, George. What would you like
to drink, dear?"

Man 1: "Honey... what would you like?"

Woman 2: "Oh, I don't know, dear... a little brandy, maybe.
Never mix, never worry."

Man 1: "Brandy, just brandy, simple, simple. What about you,
uh, uh, uh,.."

Man 2: "Bourbon on the rocks, if you don't mind."

Man 1: "Mind? I don't mind. I don't *think* I mind. Martha,
rubbing alcohol for you?"

Woman 1: "Sure. Never mix, never worry!"

7. Name the play or the author.

Woman: "Now, to minor matters. Are your parents living?"

Man: "I have lost both my parents."

Woman: "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as
a misfortune. To lose both looks like carelessness. Who was
your father? He was evidently a man of some wealth. Was he
born in what the radical papers call the purple of commerce,
or did he rise from the ranks of the aristocracy?"

Man: "I'm afraid I really don't know."

8. Name the play or the author.

Man 1: "My honored lord!"

Man 2: "My dear fellow!"

Man 1: "How are you?"

Man 2: "Afflicted!"

Man 1: "Really? In what way?"

Man 2: "Transformed."

Man 1: "Inside or out?"

Man 2: "Both."

Man 1: "I see... not much new there."

Man 2: "Well, go into details! Delve. Probe the background,
establish the situation."

Man 1: "So -- your uncle is the King of Denmark?"

Man 2: "Right. And my father before him."

Man 1: "His father before him?"

Man 2: "No, *my* father before *him*."

Man 1: "But surely--"

Man 2: "You may well ask."

Man 1: "Let me get it straight. Your father was king, you
were his only son, your father dies, you are of age, your uncle
beomes king."

Man 2: "Yes."

Man 1: "Unusual."

Man 2: "Undid me."

9. Name the play or the author.

Man: "Was this the face that launched a thousand ships, and burnt
the topless towers of Ilium? Sweet Helen, make me immortal with
a kiss. Her lips suck forth my soul; see where it flies! --
Come, Helen, come, give me my soul again!"

Click here to read the complete article
Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: songs, plays, trees

<XnsB14EE7B1D72A9Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6148&group=rec.games.trivia#6148

From: esquel@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: songs, plays, trees
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 22:46:35 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 20:46 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 4 - Entertainment - "Billboard" Songs of the Year
>
> 10. The Beatles had, in all, 20 "Billboard" #1 Pop songs of the
> week. Of those, two achieved top Pop single of the year honors,
> the first in 1964, the second in 1968. Name either.

Back in the USSE
> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science - Trees
>
> 1. Canada has just 234 species of native trees. The country with
> the most species boasts *37 times* that number at 8,715.
> Name any of the world's top three countries by number of native
> tree species.

Brazil
> 2. This quote from Richard Powers's novel "The Overstory" poses
> the question you need to answer: "If you carved your name four
> feet high in the bark of a beech tree, how high would it be
> after half a century?"

30 metres
> 7. What autumnal behavior of the tamarack tree makes it unique
> among all the coniferous trees of eastern North America?

The needles fall off in winter.
> 8. One of the most common boreal-forest species, the jack pine,
> produces pine cones that drop seeds annually, and maintains
> another set of cones near the top of the tree that remain tightly
> closed for years. Under what conditions do these latter cones
> open and release seeds?

Forest fire.

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: songs, plays, trees

<uv2k8v$1rnr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6149&group=rec.games.trivia#6149

From: dtilque@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 22:38:36 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 05:38 UTC

On 4/8/24 07:23, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Entertainment - "Billboard" Songs of the Year
>
> Since 1946, "Billboard" has crowned a song of the year in the
> three categories of Pop, R&B (which has broadened to take in Soul
> and HipHop) and Country. These questions deal with songs of the
> year in all three categories.
>
> 1. Only two songs performed in a language other than English have
> been top Pop singles of the year, one in 1958, sung in Italian
> by Dominic Modugno; the other in 1996, sung in Spanish by Los
> del Rio. Name either song.
>
> 2. Numerous singles have claimed both the Pop and R&B titles in the
> same year, but only one artist has taken both titles in the same
> year with different songs. The year was 1957. Name the artist.

Elvis Presley

> 3. In the top Country song of 1968, "Folsom Prison Blues", the
> singer claims, "I shot a man in Reno...." Why did Johnny Cash
> shoot that man?

"just to watch him die."

> 4. In the top Pop song of 1950, who do the Weavers say goodnight to?
>
> 5. Two Toronto-born artists scored double wins, their singles
> claiming both the Pop and R&B/hiphop crowns in the years 2018
> and 2020 respectively. Name either artist.
>
> 6. The top Pop singles of 1991 and 2016 were recorded by Canadian
> male vocalists who were not answers to question 5. The top Pop
> single of 2002 was recorded by a Canadian group. Name any of
> the three performers.

Bryan Adams

> 7. In 2013's top Pop and R&B/HipHop single, "Thrift Shop" by
> Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (featuring Wanz), how much money does
> the singer have in his pocket?
>
> 8. The title of this 2014 Pharell Williams song presumably reilects
> the singer's sentiments about having the #1 Pop and R&B song
> of the year. Name the song.
>
> 9. Only twice has the same song been both the top Pop and the top
> Country single of the year. The first time was in 1959, with a
> song about an American Civil War event. The second was in 2023.
> Name *either* song or *either* artist.

Battle of New Orleans

(nitpick: that was the War of 1812, not the Civil War)

> 10. The Beatles had, in all, 20 "Billboard" #1 Pop songs of the
> week. Of those, two achieved top Pop single of the year honors,
> the first in 1964, the second in 1968. Name either.

Love Me Do

> * Game 5, Round 5 - Audio - Plays
>
> And once again we have an audio round without the audio.
>
> For the first two clips, name the Shakespeare play. For all other
> clips, name *either* the play or its author. In questions #3-10,
> no authors repeat. All clips are in English; none are translations.
> Note that we want the title of the original play, not any musical
> version.
>
> 1. Name the Shakespeare play.
>
> Man: "Well now, our joy, although our last and least, to whom
> the vines of France and milk of Burgundy strive to be interessed,
> what can you say to draw a third more opulent than your sisters?
> Speak."
>
> Woman: "Nothing, my lord."
>
> Man: "Nothing?"
>
> Woman: "Nothing."
>
> Man: "Nothing will come of nothing, heh. Speak again."
>
> Woman: "Unhappy that I am, I cannot heave my heart into my
> mouth. I love your Majesty according to my bond, no more
> nor less."

King Lear

> 2. Name the Shakespeare play.
>
> Man: "I dare do all that may become a man. Who dares do more
> is none."
>
> Woman: "(Laughing) What beast was't, then, that made you break
> this enterprise to me? When you durst do it, then you were a
> man; and to be more than what you were, you would be so much
> more the man. I have given suck, and know how tender 'tis to
> love the babe that milks me. I would, while it was smiling
> in my face, have plucked my nipple from his boneless gums and
> dashed the brains out, had I so sworn as you have done to this."
>
> Man: "If we should fail--"
>
> Woman: "We fail? But screw your courage to the sticking place
> and we'll not fail."

MacBeth

> For the rest of the round, you may name either the play or the
> author. There will be no more Shakespeare, and no answers repeat.
>
> 3. Name the play or the author.
>
> Woman: "I've been to a doctor in Memphis, a gynecologist.
> I've been completely examined, and there is no reason why we
> can't have a child whenever we want one. Are you listening
> to me? Are you listening to me?"
>
> Man: "Yeah, I hear you, Maggie. But how in hell on Earth do
> you imagine you're going to have a child by a man who can't
> stand you?"
>
> Woman: "That's a problem that I will have to work out."

Tennessee Williams

> 4. Name the play or the author.
>
> Man 1: "Oh, confound all this, I'm not a scholar. I don't know
> whether the marriage was lawful or not. But, damn it, Thomas,
> look at these names! Why can't you do as I did, and come with
> us, for fellowship?"
>
> Man 2: "And when we die, and you are sent to Heaven for doing
> your conscience, and I am sent to Hell for not doing mine,
> will you come with me, for fellowship?"
>
> Man 1: "So those of us whose names are there are damned,
> Sir Thomas?"
>
> Man 2: "I have no window to look into another man's conscience.
> I condemn no one."

A Man for All Seasons

> 5. Name the play or the author.
>
> Woman: "Willy?"
>
> Man: "It's all right, I came back."
>
> Woman: "Why, what happened? Did something happen?"
>
> Man: "No, nothing happened."
>
> Woman: "You didn't smash the car, did you?"
>
> Man: "I said nothing happened. Didn't you hear me? I'm tired
> to death. Couldn't make it, just couldn't make it."
>
> Woman: "Where were you all day? You look terrible."
>
> Man: "I got up as far as a little above Yonkers. I stopped
> for a cup of coffee. Maybe it was the coffee, and the car kept
> going off the road onto the shoulder, you see?"
>
> 6. Name the play or the author.
>
> Woman 1: "Fix the kids a drink, George. What would you like
> to drink, dear?"
>
> Man 1: "Honey... what would you like?"
>
> Woman 2: "Oh, I don't know, dear... a little brandy, maybe.
> Never mix, never worry."
>
> Man 1: "Brandy, just brandy, simple, simple. What about you,
> uh, uh, uh,.."
>
> Man 2: "Bourbon on the rocks, if you don't mind."
>
> Man 1: "Mind? I don't mind. I don't *think* I mind. Martha,
> rubbing alcohol for you?"
>
> Woman 1: "Sure. Never mix, never worry!"

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

> 7. Name the play or the author.
>
> Woman: "Now, to minor matters. Are your parents living?"
>
> Man: "I have lost both my parents."
>
> Woman: "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as
> a misfortune. To lose both looks like carelessness. Who was
> your father? He was evidently a man of some wealth. Was he
> born in what the radical papers call the purple of commerce,
> or did he rise from the ranks of the aristocracy?"
>
> Man: "I'm afraid I really don't know."
>
> 8. Name the play or the author.
>
> Man 1: "My honored lord!"
>
> Man 2: "My dear fellow!"
>
> Man 1: "How are you?"
>
> Man 2: "Afflicted!"
>
> Man 1: "Really? In what way?"
>
> Man 2: "Transformed."
>
> Man 1: "Inside or out?"
>
> Man 2: "Both."
>
> Man 1: "I see... not much new there."
>
> Man 2: "Well, go into details! Delve. Probe the background,
> establish the situation."
>
> Man 1: "So -- your uncle is the King of Denmark?"
>
> Man 2: "Right. And my father before him."
>
> Man 1: "His father before him?"
>
> Man 2: "No, *my* father before *him*."
>
> Man 1: "But surely--"
>
> Man 2: "You may well ask."
>
> Man 1: "Let me get it straight. Your father was king, you
> were his only son, your father dies, you are of age, your uncle
> beomes king."
>
> Man 2: "Yes."
>
> Man 1: "Unusual."
>
> Man 2: "Undid me."

Click here to read the complete article
Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: songs, plays, trees

<uv4ofa$ro0$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6150&group=rec.games.trivia#6150

From: tool@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 01:02:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 01:02 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Entertainment - "Billboard" Songs of the Year

> 1. Only two songs performed in a language other than English have
> been top Pop singles of the year, one in 1958, sung in Italian
> by Dominic Modugno; the other in 1996, sung in Spanish by Los
> del Rio. Name either song.

La Macarena

> 2. Numerous singles have claimed both the Pop and R&B titles in the
> same year, but only one artist has taken both titles in the same
> year with different songs. The year was 1957. Name the artist.

Elvis Presley

> 3. In the top Country song of 1968, "Folsom Prison Blues", the
> singer claims, "I shot a man in Reno...." Why did Johnny Cash
> shoot that man?

just to watch him die

> 4. In the top Pop song of 1950, who do the Weavers say goodnight to?

irene

> 6. The top Pop singles of 1991 and 2016 were recorded by Canadian
> male vocalists who were not answers to question 5. The top Pop
> single of 2002 was recorded by a Canadian group. Name any of
> the three performers.

Barenaked Ladies

> 8. The title of this 2014 Pharell Williams song presumably reilects
> the singer's sentiments about having the #1 Pop and R&B song
> of the year. Name the song.

Happy

> * Game 5, Round 5 - Audio - Plays

> 1. Name the Shakespeare play.

Richard III

> 2. Name the Shakespeare play.

Macbeth

> 3. Name the play or the author.

Tennessee Williams

> 4. Name the play or the author.

A Man For All Seasons

> 5. Name the play or the author.

Death of a Salesman

> 6. Name the play or the author.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

> 8. Name the play or the author.

Tom Stoppard

> 9. Name the play or the author.

Christopher Marlowe

> 10. Name the play or the author.

Pygmalion

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science - Trees

> 1. Canada has just 234 species of native trees. The country with
> the most species boasts *37 times* that number at 8,715.
> Name any of the world's top three countries by number of native
> tree species.

Indonesia

> 2. This quote from Richard Powers's novel "The Overstory" poses
> the question you need to answer: "If you carved your name four
> feet high in the bark of a beech tree, how high would it be
> after half a century?"

four feet

> 3. "Prometheus", a Great Basin bristlecone pine aged 4,900 years,
> was cut down by accident in 1964. That left another bristlecone
> pine in California to hold the world record for a living tree,
> at 4,800 years. What is the biblical name given to this tree?

Methuselah

> 4. The tallest coniferous tree species in Eastern Canada, its
> straight trunk made it economically important in the 1800s as
> a source for ship masts, and its irregular wind-swept profile
> made it artistically important in the 1900s as a romantic symbol
> of eastern Canada's upland forests. Oh, and it's the official
> tree of Ontario. Name the species, in English or Latin.

Douglas fir

> 5. The oldest known tree in Ontario is growing on the Escarpment
> near Lion's Head, and is believed to be over 1,300 years old.
> Several others of the same species are over 1,000 years old,
> by far exceeding the longevity of the second-oldest species.
> What type of tree is the oldest in Ontario? (Exact species
> not required this time.)

spruce

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: songs, plays, trees

<uv53en$o4vv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6151&group=rec.games.trivia#6151

From: gromit82@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 23:09:59 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 04:09 UTC

On 4/8/2024 9:23 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Entertainment - "Billboard" Songs of the Year
>
> Since 1946, "Billboard" has crowned a song of the year in the
> three categories of Pop, R&B (which has broadened to take in Soul
> and HipHop) and Country. These questions deal with songs of the
> year in all three categories.
>
> 1. Only two songs performed in a language other than English have
> been top Pop singles of the year, one in 1958, sung in Italian
> by Dominic Modugno; the other in 1996, sung in Spanish by Los
> del Rio. Name either song.

"Volare"; "Macarena"

> 2. Numerous singles have claimed both the Pop and R&B titles in the
> same year, but only one artist has taken both titles in the same
> year with different songs. The year was 1957. Name the artist.

Elvis Presley

> 3. In the top Country song of 1968, "Folsom Prison Blues", the
> singer claims, "I shot a man in Reno...." Why did Johnny Cash
> shoot that man?

just to watch him die

> 4. In the top Pop song of 1950, who do the Weavers say goodnight to?

Irene

> 5. Two Toronto-born artists scored double wins, their singles
> claiming both the Pop and R&B/hiphop crowns in the years 2018
> and 2020 respectively. Name either artist.

Drake

> 6. The top Pop singles of 1991 and 2016 were recorded by Canadian
> male vocalists who were not answers to question 5. The top Pop
> single of 2002 was recorded by a Canadian group. Name any of
> the three performers.

Bryan Adams

> 8. The title of this 2014 Pharell Williams song presumably reilects
> the singer's sentiments about having the #1 Pop and R&B song
> of the year. Name the song.

"Happy"

> 9. Only twice has the same song been both the top Pop and the top
> Country single of the year. The first time was in 1959, with a
> song about an American Civil War event. The second was in 2023.
> Name *either* song or *either* artist.

"The Battle of New Orleans"; "Last Night"

> 10. The Beatles had, in all, 20 "Billboard" #1 Pop songs of the
> week. Of those, two achieved top Pop single of the year honors,
> the first in 1964, the second in 1968. Name either.

"Hey Jude"

> * Game 5, Round 5 - Audio - Plays
>
> And once again we have an audio round without the audio.
>
> For the first two clips, name the Shakespeare play. For all other
> clips, name *either* the play or its author. In questions #3-10,
> no authors repeat. All clips are in English; none are translations.
> Note that we want the title of the original play, not any musical
> version.
>
> 1. Name the Shakespeare play.
>
> Man: "Well now, our joy, although our last and least, to whom
> the vines of France and milk of Burgundy strive to be interessed,
> what can you say to draw a third more opulent than your sisters?
> Speak."
>
> Woman: "Nothing, my lord."
>
> Man: "Nothing?"
>
> Woman: "Nothing."
>
> Man: "Nothing will come of nothing, heh. Speak again."
>
> Woman: "Unhappy that I am, I cannot heave my heart into my
> mouth. I love your Majesty according to my bond, no more
> nor less."

"King Lear"

> 2. Name the Shakespeare play.
>
> Man: "I dare do all that may become a man. Who dares do more
> is none."
>
> Woman: "(Laughing) What beast was't, then, that made you break
> this enterprise to me? When you durst do it, then you were a
> man; and to be more than what you were, you would be so much
> more the man. I have given suck, and know how tender 'tis to
> love the babe that milks me. I would, while it was smiling
> in my face, have plucked my nipple from his boneless gums and
> dashed the brains out, had I so sworn as you have done to this."
>
> Man: "If we should fail--"
>
> Woman: "We fail? But screw your courage to the sticking place
> and we'll not fail."

"Macbeth"

> For the rest of the round, you may name either the play or the
> author. There will be no more Shakespeare, and no answers repeat.
>
> 3. Name the play or the author.
>
> Woman: "I've been to a doctor in Memphis, a gynecologist.
> I've been completely examined, and there is no reason why we
> can't have a child whenever we want one. Are you listening
> to me? Are you listening to me?"
>
> Man: "Yeah, I hear you, Maggie. But how in hell on Earth do
> you imagine you're going to have a child by a man who can't
> stand you?"
>
> Woman: "That's a problem that I will have to work out."

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"; Williams

> 4. Name the play or the author.
>
> Man 1: "Oh, confound all this, I'm not a scholar. I don't know
> whether the marriage was lawful or not. But, damn it, Thomas,
> look at these names! Why can't you do as I did, and come with
> us, for fellowship?"
>
> Man 2: "And when we die, and you are sent to Heaven for doing
> your conscience, and I am sent to Hell for not doing mine,
> will you come with me, for fellowship?"
>
> Man 1: "So those of us whose names are there are damned,
> Sir Thomas?"
>
> Man 2: "I have no window to look into another man's conscience.
> I condemn no one."

"A Man for All Seasons"; Bolt

> 5. Name the play or the author.
>
> Woman: "Willy?"
>
> Man: "It's all right, I came back."
>
> Woman: "Why, what happened? Did something happen?"
>
> Man: "No, nothing happened."
>
> Woman: "You didn't smash the car, did you?"
>
> Man: "I said nothing happened. Didn't you hear me? I'm tired
> to death. Couldn't make it, just couldn't make it."
>
> Woman: "Where were you all day? You look terrible."
>
> Man: "I got up as far as a little above Yonkers. I stopped
> for a cup of coffee. Maybe it was the coffee, and the car kept
> going off the road onto the shoulder, you see?"

"Death of a Salesman"; Miller

> 6. Name the play or the author.
>
> Woman 1: "Fix the kids a drink, George. What would you like
> to drink, dear?"
>
> Man 1: "Honey... what would you like?"
>
> Woman 2: "Oh, I don't know, dear... a little brandy, maybe.
> Never mix, never worry."
>
> Man 1: "Brandy, just brandy, simple, simple. What about you,
> uh, uh, uh,.."
>
> Man 2: "Bourbon on the rocks, if you don't mind."
>
> Man 1: "Mind? I don't mind. I don't *think* I mind. Martha,
> rubbing alcohol for you?"
>
> Woman 1: "Sure. Never mix, never worry!"

"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"; Albee

> 7. Name the play or the author.
>
> Woman: "Now, to minor matters. Are your parents living?"
>
> Man: "I have lost both my parents."
>
> Woman: "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as
> a misfortune. To lose both looks like carelessness. Who was
> your father? He was evidently a man of some wealth. Was he
> born in what the radical papers call the purple of commerce,
> or did he rise from the ranks of the aristocracy?"
>
> Man: "I'm afraid I really don't know."

"The Importance of Being Earnest"; Wilde

> 8. Name the play or the author.
>
> Man 1: "My honored lord!"
>
> Man 2: "My dear fellow!"
>
> Man 1: "How are you?"
>
> Man 2: "Afflicted!"
>
> Man 1: "Really? In what way?"
>
> Man 2: "Transformed."
>
> Man 1: "Inside or out?"
>
> Man 2: "Both."
>
> Man 1: "I see... not much new there."
>
> Man 2: "Well, go into details! Delve. Probe the background,
> establish the situation."
>
> Man 1: "So -- your uncle is the King of Denmark?"
>
> Man 2: "Right. And my father before him."
>
> Man 1: "His father before him?"
>
> Man 2: "No, *my* father before *him*."
>
> Man 1: "But surely--"
>
> Man 2: "You may well ask."
>
> Man 1: "Let me get it straight. Your father was king, you
> were his only son, your father dies, you are of age, your uncle
> beomes king."
>
> Man 2: "Yes."
>
> Man 1: "Unusual."
>
> Man 2: "Undid me."

Click here to read the complete article
QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6 answers: songs, plays, trees

<732dnQn8VMFUu4X7nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=6157&group=rec.games.trivia#6157

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 5, Rounds 4-6 answers: songs, plays, trees
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:07:05 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:07 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-04,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Entertainment - "Billboard" Songs of the Year

> Since 1946, "Billboard" has crowned a song of the year in the
> three categories of Pop, R&B (which has broadened to take in Soul
> and HipHop) and Country. These questions deal with songs of the
> year in all three categories.

> 1. Only two songs performed in a language other than English have
> been top Pop singles of the year, one in 1958, sung in Italian
> by Dominic Modugno; the other in 1996, sung in Spanish by Los
> del Rio. Name either song.

"Nel Blu Dipinto di Blu (Volare)" (accepting "Volare"); "Macarena".
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua (the hard way).

> 2. Numerous singles have claimed both the Pop and R&B titles in the
> same year, but only one artist has taken both titles in the same
> year with different songs. The year was 1957. Name the artist.

Elvis Presley (Pop: "All Shook Up"; R&B: "Jailhouse Rock" or "Treat
Me Nice"). 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 3. In the top Country song of 1968, "Folsom Prison Blues", the
> singer claims, "I shot a man in Reno...." Why did Johnny Cash
> shoot that man?

"Just to watch him die." 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 4. In the top Pop song of 1950, who do the Weavers say goodnight to?

Irene. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 5. Two Toronto-born artists scored double wins, their singles
> claiming both the Pop and R&B/hiphop crowns in the years 2018
> and 2020 respectively. Name either artist.

Drake ("God's Plan"; 2018), The Weeknd ("Blinding Lights"; 2020).
4 for Joshua.

> 6. The top Pop singles of 1991 and 2016 were recorded by Canadian
> male vocalists who were not answers to question 5. The top Pop
> single of 2002 was recorded by a Canadian group. Name any of
> the three performers.

Bryan Adams (1991, "[Everything I Do] I Do it for You"); Nickelback
(2002, "How You Remind Me"); Justin Bieber (2016, "Love Yourself").
4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 7. In 2013's top Pop and R&B/HipHop single, "Thrift Shop" by
> Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (featuring Wanz), how much money does
> the singer have in his pocket?

$20.

> 8. The title of this 2014 Pharell Williams song presumably reilects
> the singer's sentiments about having the #1 Pop and R&B song
> of the year. Name the song.

"Happy". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Only twice has the same song been both the top Pop and the top
> Country single of the year. The first time was in 1959, with a
> song about an American Civil War event. The second was in 2023.
> Name *either* song or *either* artist.

"The Battle of New Orleans", Johnny Horton (1959); "Last Night",
Morgan Wallan (2023). 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua (the hard way).

Dan Tilque observed that the 1959 song was not about the Civil War,
but the War of 1812. "In 1814 we took a little trip", it begins,
"Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip'". Oops.

> 10. The Beatles had, in all, 20 "Billboard" #1 Pop songs of the
> week. Of those, two achieved top Pop single of the year honors,
> the first in 1964, the second in 1968. Name either.

"I Want to Hold Your Hand", "Hey Jude". 4 for Joshua.

> * Game 5, Round 5 - Audio - Plays

> And once again we have an audio round without the audio.

> For the first two clips, name the Shakespeare play. For all other
> clips, name *either* the play or its author. In questions #3-10,
> no authors repeat. All clips are in English; none are translations.
> Note that we want the title of the original play, not any musical
> version.

In the original game the current-events round was the easiest,
and this round in its original form was second-easiest.

> 1. Name the Shakespeare play.

> Man: "Well now, our joy, although our last and least, to whom
> the vines of France and milk of Burgundy strive to be interessed,
> what can you say to draw a third more opulent than your sisters?
> Speak."

> Woman: "Nothing, my lord."

> Man: "Nothing?"

> Woman: "Nothing."

> Man: "Nothing will come of nothing, heh. Speak again."

> Woman: "Unhappy that I am, I cannot heave my heart into my
> mouth. I love your Majesty according to my bond, no more
> nor less."

"King Lear". (Act 1, Scene 1, Lear and Cordelia.) 4 for Dan Tilque
and Joshua.

> 2. Name the Shakespeare play.

> Man: "I dare do all that may become a man. Who dares do more
> is none."

> Woman: "(Laughing) What beast was't, then, that made you break
> this enterprise to me? When you durst do it, then you were a
> man; and to be more than what you were, you would be so much
> more the man. I have given suck, and know how tender 'tis to
> love the babe that milks me. I would, while it was smiling
> in my face, have plucked my nipple from his boneless gums and
> dashed the brains out, had I so sworn as you have done to this."

> Man: "If we should fail--"

> Woman: "We fail? But screw your courage to the sticking place
> and we'll not fail."

"Macbeth". (Act 1, Scene 7, Macbeth and Lady Macbeth.) 4 for
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> For the rest of the round, you may name either the play or the
> author. There will be no more Shakespeare, and no answers repeat.

> 3. Name the play or the author.

> Woman: "I've been to a doctor in Memphis, a gynecologist.
> I've been completely examined, and there is no reason why we
> can't have a child whenever we want one. Are you listening
> to me? Are you listening to me?"

> Man: "Yeah, I hear you, Maggie. But how in hell on Earth do
> you imagine you're going to have a child by a man who can't
> stand you?"

> Woman: "That's a problem that I will have to work out."

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", Tennessee Williams. (Maggie and Brick.)
4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua (the hard way).

> 4. Name the play or the author.

> Man 1: "Oh, confound all this, I'm not a scholar. I don't know
> whether the marriage was lawful or not. But, damn it, Thomas,
> look at these names! Why can't you do as I did, and come with
> us, for fellowship?"

> Man 2: "And when we die, and you are sent to Heaven for doing
> your conscience, and I am sent to Hell for not doing mine,
> will you come with me, for fellowship?"

> Man 1: "So those of us whose names are there are damned,
> Sir Thomas?"

> Man 2: "I have no window to look into another man's conscience.
> I condemn no one."

"A Man for All Seasons", Robert Bolt. (Duke of Norfolk, Thomas More.)
4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua (the hard way).

> 5. Name the play or the author.

> Woman: "Willy?"

> Man: "It's all right, I came back."

> Woman: "Why, what happened? Did something happen?"

> Man: "No, nothing happened."

> Woman: "You didn't smash the car, did you?"

> Man: "I said nothing happened. Didn't you hear me? I'm tired
> to death. Couldn't make it, just couldn't make it."

> Woman: "Where were you all day? You look terrible."

> Man: "I got up as far as a little above Yonkers. I stopped
> for a cup of coffee. Maybe it was the coffee, and the car kept
> going off the road onto the shoulder, you see?"

"Death of a Salesman", Arthur Miller. (Linda and Willy Loman.)